Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Shakira sold 100% of her Publishing Catalog

What is up with celebs doing this now???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2021 12:38 PM

She looks like a CGI character.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2021 8:37 PM

This bitch knows how to write?

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2021 8:40 PM

R2 she wrote all her songs.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2021 8:42 PM

that's shocking. her songs are pure crap, but she seems too stupid to know how to write her own name.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2021 8:42 PM

She’s not stupid at all. Wtf.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2021 8:46 PM

She wants that money now.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2021 8:47 PM

She needs to pay all those taxes she owes Spain.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2021 8:49 PM

r1, r2, r4, r7 = J.Ho stans

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2021 8:50 PM

She's not stupid. She's a graduate of UPenn's four-week program in ancient Greek philosophy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2021 8:50 PM

Her first album was actually really good. That Whenever, Wherever song got all the airplay and attention but it was a solid album that she co-wrote. I haven't followed her career since and only see the videos of the warbly pop songs but girl can write a song when she wants to.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2021 8:51 PM

We're probably on the verge of a big percentage of music being digitally created. They probably realize that it's not going to be worth any more in the future.

Simpler answer - they want money now or need money now.

Or a combination of both.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2021 8:51 PM

How much did she get? $5?

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2021 8:56 PM

R10 her debut English album was the best selling female album of the year it was released and had two of its three singles go to number one.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2021 8:58 PM

R11 is correct. Spotify is killing music the same way Uber killed the cab business. Also, no touring income has many music stars in a bad place financially.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2021 9:02 PM

Good point. I know someone in a moderately successful band. They didn't make such money from music sales. Their income was primarily from touring which they haven't done in over a year and he and his wife are living with her parents and the guys are all chipping in to help each other pay bills. They are on the lineup for the summer festival circuit in Europe but right now that's looking very unlikely. I think it's very hard to make money in the industry now.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2021 9:12 PM

Its not as if she's Michael Jackson or The Beatles....

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2021 9:16 PM

[quote]that's shocking. her songs are pure crap, but she seems too stupid to know how to write her own name.

She is the best selling female latin artist of all time, inching in front of Gloria Estefan.

Selling your catalog is apparently is becoming the thing to do as you near the end of your career.

The company pays about 15 years worth of royalties up front, minimum but according to the company with tax relief it comes out to about 25 years of royalties up front.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2021 9:16 PM

I read recently that Calvin Harris sold all his for $100MM.

It’s cheesy pop music, but yeah, why are these artists doing this???

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2021 9:30 PM

Somebody paid for the rights to lyrics like Waka Waka

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2021 9:36 PM

I love Shakira.

She's not a desperate ho like this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2021 9:45 PM

R20 what’s that album called NAKED GRANNY?

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2021 9:51 PM

Shakira has better taste in men than JHo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2021 9:52 PM

[quote]It’s cheesy pop music, but yeah, why are these artists doing this???

Stevie Nicks sold her rights for $100 million. Bob Dylan sold his for between $300 and $600 million.

Here's an explanation from Billboard but it's in PDF form so I'll just cut and paste that part.

[quote]OK. But why are catalog values so high today?

[quote]The biggest misconception is that it’s because of streaming, but it’s largely because of historically low interest rates: While forecasting future streaming revenue is critical to determining the value of a music catalog, there is an equally important factor — the value of receiving a dollar today compared to tomorrow. This “time value of money” concept is important in assessing not only the sale price, but also whether the money should be paid in a lump sum — a catalog sale — or over time [through] annual royalty payments. Today, inflation and interest rates are both at historic lows. So as long as inflation remains low, the buying power of one dollar today is likely to be very similar to one dollar tomorrow. That means buyers are willing to pay more for a music catalog today than they would be if inflation and/or interest rates were higher. Add in the uncertainty and potential decay of future revenue due to changing consumer preferences, new technology or reduced royalty rates, and the case for an artist selling their catalog today becomes even more compelling.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2021 9:57 PM

This is a very savvy business decision. How many years left does she have to shake her ass to a willing and paying audience?? Might as well leave with some cash.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2021 11:59 PM

I think whoever gave her $100m for those shitty songs grossly overpaid.

by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2021 4:51 AM

[quote] The Colombian superstar revealed that the charity she co-founded, Latin America for Solidarity Foundation, will donate $40 million to help earthquake stricken Peru and damage caused by a hurricane in Nicaragua.

In 2007, she donated $40 or $45 million dollars. This stuck in my mind b/c it was so much money.

She has some decent songs and I do think she's talented.

I think she now just wants her money in one large chunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2021 5:30 AM

Shakira did not donate that money her charity did. BIG difference.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2021 5:38 AM

Lucky that her tits are small and humble!

by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2021 10:25 AM

HOW MUCH DID THEY PAY SHAKIRA!!????

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2021 11:59 AM

R4 She’s actually a genius

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2021 12:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!