Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can Jessica Lange do comedy?

No denying she's an amazing dramatic actress but I've never seen her in a comedy where she is funny and spontaneous.

Please tell me what I should watch for a Lange laugh-off...

Don't mention "Tootsie", she was the straight woman in that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2021 3:30 PM

Has she EVER given a non-comedic performance?

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2021 8:30 PM

You be the judge; here she is in the "Cybill Shepherd role" in How to Beat the High Cost of Living (1980):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2021 8:33 PM

No she isn't funny

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2021 8:38 PM

I always laugh whenever she tries to do drama.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2021 8:39 PM

She wasn’t just a straight woman in Tootsie. She had some very funny moments.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2021 8:41 PM

#langetroll

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2021 8:42 PM

She's good at ironic

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2021 8:58 PM

I don't think she's that great at laugh-out-loud funny (not that she's NEVER delivered a funny line).

But she has the face and demeanor to do Curb Your Enthusiasm style funny - dry, uncomfortable, etc.

And, she'd probably be brilliant doing VEEP-style mean-funny.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2021 9:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2021 9:12 PM

She was hilarious in "Hush".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2021 9:24 PM

Thanks for your considered thoughts R8

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2021 9:35 PM

Will she ever do a romcom?

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2021 1:26 PM

She once briefly in Louis CK comedy show.

by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2021 1:36 PM

She sure can

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2021 2:23 PM

She had many funny moments on AHS, and in Sweet Dreams, too...but broad, sitcom comedy? No.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2021 2:28 PM

she sure AS HELL can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2021 2:33 PM

Wild Oats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2021 2:56 PM

Gosh that Wild Oats looks like pure shite. It's 0% on RT too.

by Anonymousreply 18January 14, 2021 3:50 PM

Wild Oats fell apart because the producers ran out of money, forcing Jess and Shirl to take pay cuts and put in some of their own money. So the storyline is rushed and full of holes.

by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2021 7:46 PM

When you have resting bitch face like Lange why would you care abt doing anything but biting, sarcasm?

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2021 8:02 PM

When your co-star are Demi Moore and a bunch of nobodies, you know you're no longer a star

by Anonymousreply 21January 14, 2021 8:09 PM

She would have been much better in "Somethings Gotta Give" instead of that ham, samey Diane "Kooky" Keaton. I could believe Keuna would want to bone Jess

by Anonymousreply 22January 14, 2021 8:20 PM

No, she's not funny and while she's quite talented as a dramatic actress, she's not talented enough to do comedy.

by Anonymousreply 23January 14, 2021 8:23 PM

She can be comedic when she wants to be but that’s just it, she rarely wants to be.

She’s fabulously funny in “Tootsie” during the scene in which Dorothy proclaims, “If you could just see me out of these clothes!”

In “Crimes of the Heart” and “Far North” she has both subtle and overt comedic moments imbued, as always, with dashes of poignancy. Her deadpan comedy in “Crimes...” is :chef’s kiss::

She’s a riot opposite Joan Cusack, with whom she had amazing chemistry with, in “Men Don’t Leave” - an overall fantastic and underrated gem in its own right.

Her most overt attempt at the comedy being spoken of here is in “Wild Oats.” She and MacLaine had sublime chemistry and played off of one another brilliantly. Like someone upthread noted, however, their work and the film itself were severely undermined by the production issues. Even still, it’s an entertaining, buoyant, and poignant little pic. (Considering the circumstances, a small miracle if you ask me.) Her expression during and delivery of the line, “He was a machine,” always sends me, lol.

She was also a riot in “The Politician,” though the series is so terrible even I wouldn’t suffer again through it just for her.

Lange is a tragedienne and considering the fact that she’s prone to depression and dark moods, it seems to be her chosen forte.

She once admitted (interview below, "Though my dark side is dormant right now, it continues to play a big role in whatever capacity I have to be creative. That's the well I'm able to tap into, where all the anguish, rage and sadness are stored."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 14, 2021 8:59 PM

Some scenes from “Crimes of the Heart” I love her in, in which she’s both funny and poignant:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 14, 2021 9:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2021 9:03 PM

Wild Oats clip (there aren’t many available). The reactions 😂

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2021 9:07 PM

Another great little clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2021 9:08 PM

And how could I forget her fabulosity in the Peabody Award winning “Horace and Pete”?! I see someone else mentioned it upthread. She’s hilarious in it.

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2021 9:15 PM

Joan and Bette weren't particularly good at comedy. Joan *is* funny here, but she's spoofing herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2021 9:15 PM

When you do a little research and realize how much M loves Jess, the jokes become a sad attempt at divisiveness. 😂

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2021 9:17 PM

Stop talking to yourself

by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2021 9:20 PM

R32 Don’t bother with the Lange hater; it’s retarded.

by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2021 9:21 PM

I always have to pause it after the part in Tootsie where Lange picks up a decorative corn cob thinking it's a telephone because I am laughing so hard, but that's probably more due to the way Dustin Hoffman in his Dorothy Michaels voice says the line, "That's a corn cob."

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2021 9:24 PM

R34 I love her reaction when she falls back on the couch and pleads, “No, no - NO!” Her reaction was the pay off to his setup and it works marvelously.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2021 9:26 PM

Overreaching

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2021 9:33 PM

Are you basing her comedic talent based on one minor performance from 1982? It’s strange how you are obsessed with her and post the same things over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2021 9:44 PM

It is definitely strange how, of all people, the poster who is obsessed with waxing rhapsodic about Arnie Hammer, Janet Jackson, and Faye Dunaway also gets his off by trashing Jessica Lange and creating threads about her to deride her work. Wasn’t he also the same poster that recently got FFed and blocked for calling violence on to trans people and for defending Dump?

What a sad, strange, odious little creature.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2021 9:56 PM

I think you are confused but go ahead and deflect. The Lange troll’s repetitive posts speak for themselves.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2021 9:59 PM

The loon that goes around making fun of Lange and accusing everyone of being “the Lange troll” has being doing so for years. He’s definitely a strange one.

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2021 10:01 PM

Then it’s a small army of Lange loons saying the same BS over and over again. You can’t even admit it’s crazy.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2021 10:04 PM

I found the thread in which the loon had wished death upon “the Lange troll” and trans people. That particular post was R81 in the thread below; notice it has been deleted. He continued posting about “the Lange troll” in R83 and was FFed.

It was one of those weeks during which he became particularly unhinged, accusing every other poster of being “the Lange troll” to the point where Muriel had to step in.

Creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2021 10:23 PM

R42 Jesus Christ. No wonder. That’s a Dump supporter for you.

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2021 10:25 PM

I liked "How to Beat the High Cost of Living": all three leads are funny and they work well together. She's also in-on-the-joke funny as Dwan in "King Kong".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44January 15, 2021 2:13 AM

She's a bit camp. Her performance is Cape Fear is awfully breathy and SUL-try.

by Anonymousreply 45January 15, 2021 2:42 AM

I love her in Cape Fear!! I love Cape Fear (only the remake tho)!

by Anonymousreply 46January 15, 2021 2:50 AM

She was great in Tootsie and Crimes of the Heart. So yes she can do comedy.

by Anonymousreply 47February 16, 2021 9:22 AM

Not laugh out loud, but she is good with being snarky, Love this scene in Coven where she dismisses Marie Laveau at the end of the haircut "I don't like it".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 16, 2021 1:11 PM

Jessica should do a buddy comedy with Viola Davis.

by Anonymousreply 49February 16, 2021 3:26 PM

Her plastic surgery is certainly hilarious

by Anonymousreply 50February 16, 2021 3:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!