Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kennedy Center Honors to be back this spring

Here are the honorees and some details. More at Wash Post

This spring, the Kennedy Center Honors will salute five performing artists — singer Joan Baez, country musician Garth Brooks, dancer-choreographer Debbie Allen, violinist Midori and actor Dick Van Dyke — and break with tradition by staging six days of intimate performances instead of a one-night blockbuster event.

The 43rd Kennedy Center Honors will be held May 17-22 and broadcast in prime time on CBS on June 6. Because of coronavirus-related restrictions on large gatherings, the 2,360-seat Opera House won’t host the star-studded show, explained Kennedy Center president and chief executive Deborah Rutter. Instead, tributes to honorees will be performed in multiple, smaller settings on the campus — including outdoors on the front plaza and inside the Grand Foyer and the Reach — and the producers will stitch them together for television.

“We will figure out a way to do this,” Rutter said about the celebration of lifetime achievement, which is still a work in progress despite being four months off. “I very much want these five individuals to feel as feted and supported and recognized as possible.”

by Anonymousreply 209June 8, 2021 5:46 PM

I am astonished Midori is 49. i still think of her as 20.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2021 7:01 PM

It's a good, safe lineup. Baez is overdue. What about Liza, Jane Fonda and Johnny Mathis though? All culturally important and gifted. I guess the answer is never them.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2021 7:03 PM

They better do Joan on the first night. She's looking a bit peaked.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2021 7:04 PM

Debbie Allen? That’s scraping the bottom of the barrel. A TV series in the 80s, choreographed a notorious flop musical and hasn’t worked on broadway since 1986. How did she get in there? Her sister is more deserving.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote] Her sister is more deserving.

Phylicia is a master at her craft.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2021 7:12 PM

Glad to see Joan Baez. How old is Dick Van Dyke? I wonder who they will use to honor him. Julie Andrews maybe. Has she been honored?

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2021 7:28 PM

Dolly Parton!!!!!!!!!

She’s a national treasure!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2021 7:36 PM

Chits Rivera is no spring chicken. Who the fuck is Midori? She couldn't wait a couple years??

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2021 7:38 PM

R7 and R8, Dolly was honored in 2006, Chita in 2002.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2021 7:46 PM

[quote] Phylicia is a master at her craft.

I most definitely agree.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2021 7:55 PM

Who would present Liza's award? Everyone she knows is dead.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2021 8:01 PM

How heterosexual are these presentees?

Too bad Trump was in office when Cher, Reba and the cast of Hamilton was inducted.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2021 8:07 PM

I guess it hadn't even dawned on me that they didn't do the usual holiday season telecast.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2021 8:08 PM

Debbie Allen is a joke. This really is pathetic. Remember this was supposed to honor people like Richard Rodgers, George Balanchine, Fred Astaire, Marian Anderson, and Arthur Rubinstein. People who made an enormous contribution to America's cultural life. Name one thing Allen has ever contributed to the national culture. I know she's done a lot of shitty TV chorography. The only thing I saw her do was badly replace Woodard in Ain't Misbehavin. She was an amateur on a stage with terrific performers. I'd give it to Ken Page, Woodard or Andre de Shields before her

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2021 8:23 PM

I’m scratching my head over Debbie Allen. I’m 100% in agreement that the honorees should be diverse but this is just so undeserving.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2021 8:40 PM

Indeed, R2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2021 8:42 PM

I think Debbie Allen is deserving.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2021 8:43 PM

R17- Nia Peeples

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2021 8:45 PM

Chits!

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2021 9:23 PM

What about Burt Bacharach? Dionne Warwick?

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2021 9:35 PM

R11, Joel Grey, Michael Feinstein, Billy Stritch, Sam Harris, Lorna Luft, etc.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2021 10:07 PM

They never gave Carol Channing her due. Screw them.

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2021 10:39 PM

Uh, They usually choose a well know STAR to present the award R21.

Carol Channing? One hit show on Broadway that she played for 50 years doesn't deserve a KCH.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2021 10:40 PM

I hope they bring Caroline Kennedy back to start the evening. It didn't feel right without her.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2021 10:44 PM

R23, And Oscar winner Joel Grey doesn't qualify?

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2021 11:39 PM

No R25, he doesn't. Do you know what a STAR is. Diana Ross and Liza were once friends. Chita Rivera. Andy Warhol. And everybody who ever died of AIDS and drugs. It doesn't matter. Because Liza Minnelli has been a has been long enough to have received the honor by now. She never will.

I'm the one who said it's wrong that Liza hasn't been honored. Her best days were a bit before my time, but there is no one like her, ever. One of the most electric stage performers of all time. An actual triple threat. The Kennedy Center doesn't give awards to people still in active decline though. You can be half dead, but you must have not ended in a pool of vomit. If you've fallen, you're supposed to get up first. Liza is just not their brand. And that's a shame. Because regardless of who is alive to present it, - her life's work and songs would make for a bring the house down tribute. But Feinstein, Grey and Lorna are not it. They can appear in tribute, but they are unknown to anyone but old gays and Liza's caregivers.

Her work is both oddly sophisticated and weirdly dated. Ah. But a full throated belter and one of the best actresses in song, ever. L*I*Z*A* should have an ALL DRAG queen tribute. And ok, Joel Grey.

But what in the fuck is their problem with giving the damn honor to Johnny fucking Mathis? One of the all time greats AND a cultural icon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 14, 2021 12:29 AM

^ Besides, Martin Scorsese would happily give Liza the award. Or Bernadette Peters. Meryl Streep deeply admires Liza too. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 27January 14, 2021 12:40 AM

I posted the wrong copy of that performance @ R26. Doesn't matter - but this one is pristine. Liza was in control of her great big voice. No shrieking or overreaching. Nothing subtle mind you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28January 14, 2021 12:44 AM

R27, how about Julianne Moore?

by Anonymousreply 29January 14, 2021 12:46 AM

Totally agree about Liza and I'm not even a fan. And I fear with each coming year it becomes less likely to happen.

Debbie Allen is a joke. I have no idea what would be considered the basis for her being honored.

by Anonymousreply 30January 14, 2021 12:51 AM

Ditto I'm not a Liza fan as well but I am incredulous considering some of the people who've gotten it she's never gotten one as well. She's certainly had a considerable career and was an important part of the cultural landscape towards the latter part of the 20th Century. So what kept her from getting one? Her substance abuse problems? Well what has that to do with her achievements? Fonda as well. I have been questioning of her clueless public behavior but if anyone alive now deserves it it's her.

by Anonymousreply 31January 14, 2021 1:51 AM

R27, Goldie Hawn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32January 14, 2021 1:56 AM

They've had lots of drunks and drug addicts and artists with lost periods receive the Kennedy Center Honor. As I said upthread, I think Liza just doesn't meet the reformation standard or late in life attention that brings some others back to life. The Award has gone to far too many mid talents in middle age lately. I guess it's demographics, but that's stupid. For every Billy Joel and Reba, give us some ART and some important prolific artists.

Liza is that and some more. But there's no documentary on her or any revival of her work. Stage performers kind of disappear, even with Youtube - the essence of what they did is kind of ephemeral. Still, the Kennedy Center has honored plenty of them. The Barbara Cook tribute is one of the most stellar of all time. The best of the very best performed at the time showed up, and performed beautifully. The general public didn't know who the fuck Barbara Cook was.

Kelly Clarkson sang a wicked version of Fancy last year (for Reba) and Adam Lambert did that beautiful thing with Cher's song....but really? Those were awards show tribute performance. Not a Kennedy Center lifetime achievement for contribution to the arts and culture. And I'm not that old either. Not even PBS gives us anything longform cultural or remotely difficult anymore. The landscape is barren.

I guess the panel is grossed out by Liza's life of partying and her never really telling the truth? Or too many sequins? Because she never has. Told the truth or matured. But her work and talent SHOULD be celebrated and lots of people 40 to 50 still DO know who she is. If only for being a good natured trainwreck in sequins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 14, 2021 2:18 AM

I would hope to see Lana Del Rey, Leon Bridges or even Miley Cyrus or Harry Styles pay tribute to Joan Baez. (Like Bob Dylan is going show up, ha) They'll probably wheel out James Taylor and Judy Collins. And then they'll "sing" Yuck.

by Anonymousreply 34January 14, 2021 2:33 AM

My understanding is that because the KCH is just a made-for-TV thing and really always has been, you can't get it if you don't agree to show. So it's possible that Liza just isn't interested in going, or her health prevents it. But certainly she and Bette Midler, in my opinion, are two glaring omissions. I mean, Liza would be on the shortlist of the greatest American entertainers of all time, with Sammy Davis, Jr., Sinatra, Judy, Barbra, so forth.

I agree that Debbie Allen is all wrong, she's not well respected in her field by any stretch. It should be Susan Stroman, then! She's as famous as Barbara Cook was, for heaven's sake, at least in her category.

And the category bit has certainly smudged over time; it used to be pretty strict: one each from music, dance, theater, opera, and motion pictures or television. Dance and opera aren't draws on TV, so they are just giving it to more actors and musicians.

by Anonymousreply 35January 14, 2021 2:36 AM

I think they offered it to Paul McCartney but he couldn't get to America on the date of the taping. He said all the right things and hoped they could schedule it another year. They haven't offered it to him again.

by Anonymousreply 36January 14, 2021 2:39 AM

Huh? Paul McCartney got it. It was 35 fucking minutes long. Oprah gave it to him.

by Anonymousreply 37January 14, 2021 3:02 AM

[quote]Debbie Allen is a joke. I have no idea what would be considered the basis for her being honored.

Fam.

The backstory: It was offered to ME first but that I was a night I was planning to walk soulfully on the beach with only two paparazzi while wistfully thinking of the one true love of my life, Cory Monteith, who is now dead and I am now grieving.

When the "Kens" (as I call them) asked if I had a suitable replacement, I suggested Ms. Allen as an act of solidarity both with women and with Black Lives Matter.

But not that cunt Naya Rivera.

by Anonymousreply 38January 14, 2021 3:07 AM

That rapper guy has one.

Anyone can get one now!

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2021 3:35 AM

Do we get full scholarships to the Debbie Allen School of Dance?

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2021 3:35 AM

[Quote] It should be Susan Stroman, then!

God no. Everything she directs is crap.

by Anonymousreply 41January 14, 2021 3:36 AM

Garth Brooks? Seriously? 🙄🙄

by Anonymousreply 42January 14, 2021 3:38 AM

Sorry, eldergays, but Liza can't sing!

If anyone deserves a KCH it's ME!

by Anonymousreply 43January 14, 2021 3:46 AM

A full list of the Kennedy Center honorees over the years would be a sad if fascinating comment on the steady decline of the performing arts in America. I can't imagine this year (or in recent years) it was easy to come up with 5 deserving honorees.

It's also amazing to think that in its first years, IIRC, there would only be one or two women honored.

by Anonymousreply 44January 14, 2021 4:02 AM

Liza can't sing in the normal sense, but she's extremely musical. A great performer. Wonderful timing and inflections, a dynamic sense of rhythm and beat. Her voice was kind of blaring and undisciplined but a lot more versatile in quieter moments. Hmm. Who does that remind you of? Liza is along with Bernadette Peters the best singing actress within a song ever. They know how to fit their voice to their expression and the story. Interpret the damn song. That's broadway in a way. But not very many are good at it. Liza elevates it to an art form. Made people forget about the flaws in her voice or the too theatrical finishes. Because for every BIG number she ever sang, she did something unique and unexpected, obscure.

Chita Rivera has a Kennedy Center Honor and she can't sing at all! Ditto Shirley MacLaine. Triple threats. Sutton Foster is a better singer, dancer and just as good an actress as any of them. But she's not a star the moment she's gone. Can't bottle it. Liza dared to be insanely sincere and daringly theatrical, when even in her own time - that was anachronistic. She's derivative of only one person - but still unique. Iconic. You know her silhouette and the first 4 bars of her songs.

Pat Benatar is not garbage as a vocalist - but not at all memorable as a performer. Shit music. I hope you're joking R43. Have you been drinking?

Stevie Nicks deserves it. They know they have quite a few years to give it to her. She'll definitely get it.

Liza. It was a good time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45January 14, 2021 4:11 AM

I wish they'd give it to La LuPone.

by Anonymousreply 46January 14, 2021 4:12 AM

Whitbot/R45, time and time again, you continue to prove how insane -- as well as inconsistent -- you are. Weren't you just in Judy Garland's thread trashing her talent and insulting her fans as ancient white fags who has zero taste of what constitutes good singing?

Now you're here praising Liza who is a much inferior version of her mother?

Make it make sense!

by Anonymousreply 47January 14, 2021 4:25 AM

^Huh. charlie is here. Nutjob old fag crying along to his Carnegie Hall album. Clang, clang, clang.

by Anonymousreply 48January 14, 2021 4:28 AM

Where in my post did I say that Liza Minnelli is a great vocalist? I think I explained her talent quite well. Some of us know what we're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 49January 14, 2021 4:32 AM

I'm game to come anyways and shing "Diamondsh and Rusht" for Joanie!

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2021 7:22 AM

r46 - I have to think Patti or Bernie will be getting a KCH sometime in the next couple of years. Two beloved Broadway stars, both in their early 70s, both with long sustained careers (as opposed to performers who haven't been on stage in decades.) Are there bigger stars of a certain age, known primarily for their work on Broadway, who have not been honored?

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2021 7:33 AM

"Are there bigger stars of a certain age, known primarily for their work on Broadway, who have not been honored?"

Yes, Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2021 11:10 AM

"Debbie Allen? That’s scraping the bottom of the barrel. A TV series in the 80s, choreographed a notorious flop musical and hasn’t worked on broadway since 1986. How did she get in there? Her sister is more deserving."

The answer is simple - quotas. There must be a black person honored, period. It is strange that they couldn't find a better quota fulfiller than Debbie Allen.

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2021 1:00 PM

I guess Diana Ross has already been awarded? Tina Turner?

Leslie Uggams is more worthy than Debbie Allen.

by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2021 2:03 PM

Has Smokey Robinson already been honored?

by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2021 2:09 PM

Smokey has been honored.

Leslie Uggams would have been a fantastic idea. Way better than Debbie fucking Allen.

by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2021 2:17 PM

Debbie Allen? Debbie Fucking Allen?

What the hell has she ever done to warrant this? She was on two shit tv shows way back in the 80s and did those horrible 'interpretive dance' Oscar numbers that were always howlingly awful and made fun of every single year.

by Anonymousreply 57January 14, 2021 3:16 PM

[quote]Pat Benatar is not garbage as a vocalist - but not at all memorable as a performer. Shit music.

Pat Benatar had some kickass songs.

by Anonymousreply 58January 14, 2021 3:17 PM

Diana Ross and Tina Turner have already been honored.

Don't laugh, but Dionne Warwick really is qualified to get this.

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2021 3:18 PM

Dionne Warwick is totally qualified, arts-wise, but I have a feeling her grifter past is keeping her from receiving this.

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2021 3:27 PM

"I think they offered it to Paul McCartney but he couldn't get to America on the date of the taping. He said all the right things and hoped they could schedule it another year. They haven't offered it to him again."

He got it under Obama.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2021 5:16 PM

I still can't understand Garth Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 62January 14, 2021 5:28 PM

Garth is one of the small stable of performers who are asked to perform at many Kennedy Center Honors shows. They have been awarded the honor, and Garth is next.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 14, 2021 5:35 PM

What about George Wolfe? Do playwrights and stage directors get it?

Debbie is from hunger.

by Anonymousreply 64January 14, 2021 5:37 PM

I don't understand why Garth Brooks is considered a megastar

by Anonymousreply 65January 14, 2021 5:52 PM

[quote] Debbie Allen? Debbie Fucking Allen?

She was a Bway star (with a Tony, I think). Then she did TV acting and choreography. Finally, she opened a dance studio for black kids.

Heck is LL Cool J has a Kennedy Center Honor, why not Debbie Allen? Plus, they're just running out of people

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2021 5:54 PM

It's not that there has been a steady decline in the arts, it's that there aren't legends anymore.

I chalk that up to there being so many forms of entertainment available at all times that it's tough to rise to the top of that.

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2021 5:56 PM

That doesn't make him deserving, R63.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2021 5:57 PM

Steven Spielberg, Robert Redford, Kenny Loggins

by Anonymousreply 69January 15, 2021 2:56 AM

Spielberg got it years ago.

by Anonymousreply 70January 15, 2021 2:59 AM

So did Robert Redford. He got it the same year as Tina Turner.

by Anonymousreply 71January 15, 2021 3:39 AM

Wow, I just realized Betty White has never received a Kennedy Center Honors! Now that's a travesty!

by Anonymousreply 72January 15, 2021 4:02 AM

Mary Tyler Moore never received the honor either. Nor Gladys Knight or Emmylou Harris. or LIZA.

Bette, Bernadette, Stevie Nicks and Patti LuPone will all receive the KCH, but they are going to space those powerhouse tributes out.

If LL Cool J, Tom Hanks and Reba have one, I don't see why not Garth Brooks. Debbie Allen is a curious choice, but she was a much better dancer than considered here. And she is still a wonderful mentor and teacher to dancers from difficult backgrounds. Ok, so she was a bit bowlegged. But a very dynamic dancer. Much better than someone like Bebe Neuwirth or Karen Ziemba. Her career is not really stellar enough to warrant the KCH. But it's an important one to the arts.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73January 15, 2021 5:06 AM

Sorry. I think I need to google the list of who has already received it.

by Anonymousreply 74January 15, 2021 12:44 PM

I'm most surprised to hear about Mary Tyler Moore. I wonder if she was simply too ill to accept the honor in those final years when she would have been a prime candidate.

What about Nathan Lane? Is he worthy? Lily Tomlin? Goldie Hawn? Shirley MacLaine? Surely, they're all more worthy than some recent honorees.

by Anonymousreply 75January 15, 2021 1:57 PM

Hal Holbrook

by Anonymousreply 76January 15, 2021 2:08 PM

Mary Tyler Moore should have gotten it well before she was too ill to be able to attend. She would have been worthy in the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 77January 15, 2021 5:16 PM

Shirley McClaine was honored.

by Anonymousreply 78January 15, 2021 5:18 PM

Well she wasn’t honored you misspelled her name...,

by Anonymousreply 79January 15, 2021 7:45 PM

Yes: it's Shitley NOT Shirley!

by Anonymousreply 80January 15, 2021 11:16 PM

Lily Tomlin has already been honored. One day Whoopi will get that medal around her neck. She doesn't deserve it, though.

Shirley Maclaine was another who received a stellar tribute. Great performers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81January 15, 2021 11:27 PM

The news of all these undeserving people who've gotten the award in recent years reminds me me of my disinterest in it since the 1980s.

by Anonymousreply 82January 15, 2021 11:42 PM

Twyla Tharp, Jacques D'amboise, Patricia McBride and Suzanne Farrell were wonderful, deserving, semi-recent recipients. Desmond Richardson should be next. What a beautiful man and dancer/choreographer. ABT and his own Complexions Dance Company.

What's curious about the KCH is that sometimes the biggest stars get the most lackluster tributes. Streisand, Streep's, Katharine Hepburn's, Tina Turner, Carol Burnett and Diana Ross's events were all less than they deserved.

Dolly Parton, Julie Andrews, Al Green, Billy Joel, Springsteen, Barbara Cook, Elton John, Jerry Herman and Chita Rivera all had wonderful tributes with real moments of power and surprise. Of course there are some great classical artist tributes too, but just as many that were dull and far from greatness.

by Anonymousreply 83January 16, 2021 12:01 AM

[quote] What's curious about the KCH is that sometimes the biggest stars get the most lackluster tributes. Streisand, Streep's, Katharine Hepburn's, Tina Turner, Carol Burnett and Diana Ross's events were all less than they deserved.

I wouldn't call the tributes Tina Turner and Diana Ross "lackluster." Beyoncé (regardless of what one may think about her, she is a phenomenal live performer) and Yolanda Adams gave electrifying tributes of "Proud Mary" and "Reach Out and Touch" respectively.

by Anonymousreply 84January 16, 2021 12:10 AM

I love Beyonce. And she did proud Mary for Tina's tribute, not Yolanda. Beyonce is the only one who should dare try - but she was visibly nervous and it was far from her best performance. She also sang The Way We Were for Streisand, somewhat better. But Everyone's knows that Miss Gladys Knight's song and that's who they should have asked. I know what I'm saying. You're free to disagree.

Jennifer Nettles. Garth Brooks, Melissa Etheridge, Steven Tyler, Fantasia, Jennifer Hudson, Beth Hart and Alison Krauss and other unexpected performers have given surprising, moving and show stopping performances at the Kennedy Center tributes.

Beyonce, Angela Lansbury, Mavis Staples, Carol Channing, Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski and James Taylor have all been very disappointing.

Shania Twain sang an achingly simple version of Coat of Many Colors for Dolly Parton. Shania ain't much of a singer, but the material was right for her and her heart was in it. Beyonce was nervous as hell trying to sing Proud Mary on that stage. It was a big FAIL.

by Anonymousreply 85January 16, 2021 12:23 AM

[quote]She also sang The Way We Were for Streisand, somewhat better. But Everyone's knows that Miss Gladys Knight's song and that's who they should have asked.

The Way We Were is Barbra's signature song. Most people aren't even aware Gladys Knight covered it.

by Anonymousreply 86January 16, 2021 12:31 AM

R85, Fantasia's tribute to Elton John was awesome. She sang the hell out of Sorry Seems to Be The Hardest Word and made Elton cry.

by Anonymousreply 87January 16, 2021 12:36 AM

How did she learn the words?

by Anonymousreply 88January 16, 2021 12:40 AM

You're insane R86. Gladys has always sung The Way We Were better than Streisand and everyone knows it, including gross Barbaric Streisand. That's why Gladys wasn't asked to do it. Beyonce did a pretty job. It's not even a very good song. But it WAS a soulful one when sung by the great Gladys Knight. She's been singing it for 48 years at every concert. That means thousands of more times than Barbara Streusel. Gladys had a hit record with it too. Ignore what you like charlie. You hate Beyonce anyway. You're just being contrary. You're always wrong. 😘

I realize that Beyonce was chosen to honor Striezand because of her own great stardom and beauty. And she sang the song well. The Way We Were is not a difficult song to sing. Nice bridge, but nothing difficult. It is more difficult to make it dynamic and soulful. Gladys Knight does that. To this day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89January 16, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] And she did proud Mary for Tina's tribute, not Yolanda.

Which is why I said "respectively." Yolanda did "Reach Out and Touch" for Diana Ross.

Otherwise, I agree with what you said. Beyoncé has given better performances and she was nervous performing for her idol. But you're right, only Beyoncé could give Tina that proper tribute of "Proud Mary" that comes close to the spirit of Tina and the Ikettes.

I thought Angela Lansbury tribute to Bette Davis was better than the one she did for Kate Hepburn. But I guess that makes sense as she was friends with Bette Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 16, 2021 12:56 AM

r89 The Way We Were is Barbra Streisand's signature song. Everybody knows that song. Gladys did a great job covering it, but Barbra's version is the only one in the public's consciousness. It's been famous for nearly 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 91January 16, 2021 12:58 AM

r89 sweetheart Beyonce = RATINGS. That's why they had her do it.

by Anonymousreply 92January 16, 2021 12:59 AM

Large on the WHET list of Kennedy Center performers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93January 16, 2021 1:42 AM

I apologize R84. I missed on the word "respectively." At least we BOTH agree that Beyonce is a great enough singer dancer and live performer to sing the hell out of Proud Mary. She could do it now just fine. She's done things even more stellar. Proud Mary is Tina's opus, but it's still from her Ike days and it's a showstopper partly because its both brazen a bit silly. There are other Tina Turner songs that Beyonce could never sing or perform well.

Bey's appearance at the KCH was at a transitional time in her career. She was venturing into film and leading lady parts, was one of the most beautiful women in the world and she's always said that she wanted to be as great a live performer as Tina, Michael and Prince. (she's since made it:) That Kennedy Center Stage doesn't really lend itself well that kind of raunchy funk and soulful female sexual abandon. She did okay, but I remember being disappointed. I have seen Tina Turner and Beyonce live in concert. A few times with Mrs. Carter. Proud Mary would be a mid show number for her now. Ha. She hasn't the depth and pain to her voice of Tina Turner, but she has beauty and artistry and irrational amounts of talent.

I gave away my 2 comp tickets to see Streisand in Montreal, 2006? Could have sold them for a lot of money, but I gave them to someone who loves her and whatever it is she does, to a song. I'd rather eat cheetos and watch a Celine concert on DVD. (in 2006, y'all understand:)

Heather Headley is a queen R93! Such a beautiful moment on the show. What do you mean WEHT to her? Not everyone becomes a recording star. Her voice is monumental. My sister from Trinidad. She's greater than most any singer she can pay tribute to. That's what happened. She's amazing. Fantasia was magic that night too. I guess you think that middlebrow taste is a great thing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 16, 2021 1:49 AM

Beyonce has always been more of a media darling than a mass popular favorite. Similar to J Lopez.

by Anonymousreply 95January 16, 2021 2:31 AM

^ old white gay man.

Please google or wiki Beyonce R95. I haven't the time to list her record sales, grammy wins and concert receipts. How Lemonade is the best reviewed album of all time. How only Diana Ross had such success as a member of a group and then as a greater solo artist. How Beyonce ignited Black Lives Matter and played a part in political history. Your ignorance is impressive. Her measurable accomplishments and success are seismic in our lifetime. In sales, in prestige, in concert tours, (worldwide stadiums bitch) in changing how music is delivered and how the game is played. Beyonce is the vanguard of music culture. Naturally there is no one in her lane. Her talent is specific, once in a lifetime. She has done nothing but work to be better and more creative since the time she was a child. It's insane how much old white gays and MAGATs resent her. Her cultural influence is just as great as anyone mentioned on this thread and she's not quite 40 years old. Just cuz your saggy white ass doesn't know any of her music other than Single Ladies....can't make your sad preposterous statement true. Wow. What a fool. Don't equate Beyonce with JLo, ever.

by Anonymousreply 96January 16, 2021 3:49 AM

Please r96. Beyonce has always been more of a media-hyped darling than a mass audience favorite. Tina Turner and Diana Ross were the real deal, massively popular with the public. Their fame was organic, not mostly hype.

by Anonymousreply 97January 16, 2021 3:50 AM

[quote] in changing how music is delivered and how the game is played.

???? Beyonce had nothing to do with the technological changes in how people listen to music.

by Anonymousreply 98January 16, 2021 3:51 AM

[quote] Her cultural influence is just as great as anyone mentioned on this thread and she's not quite 40 years old.

Tina Turner, Diana Ross and Stevie Nicks had a much greater impact on the culture at large. Ross, especially.

by Anonymousreply 99January 16, 2021 3:52 AM

Old racists prefer the "black" women singers they deemed acceptable when they were young. At discos and bathhouses. They still like Donna Summer & Linda Ronstadt. Sometimes Aretha and Natalie Cole. Ancient white fags on datalounge are living deep in the bottle of the past. Look inside. You know nothing. R97, r98 and R99 are so embarrassingly incorrect about Beyonce that it makes me hope it's just ONE old drunk, multiple posting. 🥃🥃🥃🥃🥃

by Anonymousreply 100January 16, 2021 4:05 AM

God you're nuts r100. I'm neither old nor drunk. But keep living in your fantasy world.

by Anonymousreply 101January 16, 2021 4:10 AM

No. I don't live in a fantasy world R101. I like in a much younger man's world. You were called out and have reacted as expected. You may not be drunk - but you're sure as fuck ARE old and racist. Beyonce could win a Kennedy Center honor tomorrow and they could spend the full two hours on her accomplishments and career highlights and contributions to what she cares about. She's at the start of the middle of her journey. She can make an ass shaking record at any time, but she has moved on to more complex forms as a woman and artist. Go see her live to experience it all. To say she is a product of media hype makes you sound crazy. Her achievements are measurable under any and every criteria. Have another soda water Gramps @ R101. 🥃🥃🥃 Beyonce can sing dude. Her vocal gifts are stellar. It's the music that changed. A young man like you should know that. 🔌

by Anonymousreply 102January 16, 2021 4:36 AM

I'm neither old nor drunk. Just saying that media hype has been a big part of Beyonce's popularity, rather than an organic, massive fanbase. Also, she's never been a superstar outside the US like Ross or Turner. Sorry, those are the facts.

by Anonymousreply 103January 16, 2021 4:43 AM

[quote]Beyonce can sing dude. Her vocal gifts are stellar.

She's a competent vocalist, but her voice is nothing great.

by Anonymousreply 104January 16, 2021 4:43 AM

Muriel needs to ban this "ancient white fags" poster permanently. I can't believe this garbage person is allowed on what's supposed to be an LGBT site. What a disgrace.

by Anonymousreply 105January 16, 2021 4:48 AM

Again you're wrong. I can no longer help you. R103. The tone of Bey's voice is not as pleasing as some other singers - but her vocal talents, range and technique are greater than many of the greats. And as for not having a worldwide fanbase, someone didn't do the research I assigned. Old white men. Drunk. You too fag @R105. You think you can call women cunts and black people niggers and make disparaging remarks out here because you were born in 1932? Nah, old white fag. You can't. You've chosen to make disparaging hate words acceptable here. Your kind is dying off, and is no longer acceptable here. I despise your ancient white racist ASS. Get back on your knees, to your white sheet glory hole gramps. Disgusting old man. Ban the RACIST WHITE FAGS!!!

🥃🥃🥃

by Anonymousreply 106January 16, 2021 4:55 AM

Make love to me. 1+1. Beyoncé.

The number one concert artist worldwide. Three sold out stadium tours, around the world. Without a fanbase, ha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 16, 2021 5:04 AM

The post @ r106 should be the last straw. Muriel needs to permanently ban this garbage person.

by Anonymousreply 108January 16, 2021 5:05 AM

Pretty Hurts. Listen to Beyonce. This is not her best song - she doesn't have any bad ones. It's important for other reasons. I should know.

May jesus visit healing to your troubled mind and body this night R108. Remove the rot from your holes and soul. Amen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109January 16, 2021 5:16 AM

My bad. I thought this was a Presidential Medal of Freedom. Dolly totally deserves one.

Although, that honor has now turned to worthless shit.

Hopefully President Biden can come up with something new.

by Anonymousreply 110January 16, 2021 5:17 AM

Beyoncé sucks. Over-hyped bitch.

by Anonymousreply 111January 16, 2021 5:19 AM

You're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 16, 2021 5:31 AM

Beautiful in every way. Beyoncé

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 16, 2021 5:56 AM

The return of the prime-time miniseries events! :D

by Anonymousreply 114January 16, 2021 6:20 AM

Christ, this homophobic Beyonce loon is tiresome. Almost as bad as Jabba.

by Anonymousreply 115January 16, 2021 7:16 AM

Cyndi Lauper

by Anonymousreply 116January 16, 2021 7:43 AM

David Byrne, though I dislike everything he did for decades since the Heads. Still, people do seem to like all that.

Jane Fonda will never ever get one unless she lives to see a left wing President and MAGATS are no more.

by Anonymousreply 117January 16, 2021 7:47 AM

Book Kelly Clarkson now, for Stevie Nicks tribute. This is beautiful. Kelly has that shimmer to her soprano - with just enough texture and rasp. The most versatile singer in the game. She pays homage to songs AND does her own thing with them. Great taste as a vocalist and what a voice she has to work with.

Remember when Jessica Simpson screwed up Nine to Five so badly at the Dolly Tribute? No, because they cut her out of the broadcast! She was freakishly terrible. Don't stunt cast the Kennedy Center tributes.

You can never go wrong with Kelly. Her voice is just too good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 16, 2021 6:25 PM

Honestly, the acoustics outside that Concert Hall are probably better than inside it. That main Hall with the JFK head is one heck of a backdrop. It always gives me chills. And the terrace overlooking the Potomac River is pretty cool.

*Autocorrect wants me to change my "are" to "is." But that doesn't seem right?

by Anonymousreply 119January 16, 2021 6:38 PM

Dionne Warwick certainly deserves it. And Betty White does, too--a true artist of television and television only. She never did much else (some regional/touring musicals). But Betty is too old now, as I suspect Carol Channing was when they got around to her.

I still say Liza, Bette Midler, then Dionne really, really deserves it. Emmylou Harris is a great choice, too.

Soon we'll be into that group of movie stars like Glenn Close, Jessica Lange, Diane Keaton, etc. I suppose Patti will get it eventually. I read Harrison Ford somewhere, that's a good choice. So is Denzel.

I'm looking online now-- Alan Alda isn't bad, and certainly Burt Bachrach should get it! And Bob Newhart--wow, he should get it.

by Anonymousreply 120January 17, 2021 12:45 AM

Patti Labelle definitely.

by Anonymousreply 121January 17, 2021 12:59 AM

I wonder what Liza's physical/mental state is, she hasn't done any public appearances in years.

by Anonymousreply 122January 17, 2021 1:00 AM

Liza is being kept alive by Michael Feinstein and Michele Lee, who she refers to as MJ and Elizabeth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 17, 2021 1:44 AM

^

"Recently we had a little party and I introduced Liza to Darren Criss and his fiancee Mia Swier, because Darren is a big Liza fan. "

by Anonymousreply 124January 17, 2021 1:50 AM

This may be why the Kennedy Center won't honor her. She's just too sad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125January 17, 2021 1:54 AM

Miss Dunaway just turned 80 this week and is still waiting for her call from the Kennedy Center. Don't fuck with her, fellas.

by Anonymousreply 126January 17, 2021 2:01 AM

Martin Sheen, Harry Belafonte

by Anonymousreply 127January 17, 2021 3:55 PM

Is nothing sacred? Now, the Kennedy Center Honors is being reduced to a Zoom show?

by Anonymousreply 128January 17, 2021 4:00 PM

Two words. Miss Celine Dion! Give her the award now. James Corden can do a medley.

by Anonymousreply 129January 18, 2021 3:42 AM

Debbie Allen has earned twenty Emmy nominations, winning three. She has also been nominated for two Tony awards.

She has been working for the last decade acting in, producing and directing Grey's Anatomy. She also produced and directed A Different World and the movie Amistad for Steven Spielberg.

She has directed episodes of over thirty television shows.

She is also one of the most popular and influential choreographers working today. She had a decade long stint being the official choreographer for the Academy Awards. And her work with Fame, from the movie to the television show is iconic.

What has she done? THAT'S what she's done.

Honestly, as much as I like Liza, Debbie has a much more varied and established career. THAT'S why she's getting the Kennedy Center Honor.

by Anonymousreply 130January 21, 2021 9:57 PM

I read Debbie Allen's Wiki page too R130. Liza deserved the honor a long time ago. I don't mind Debbie Allen receiving it. She has a long list of accomplishments, but none of them are particularly prestigious.

Liza is not only a world renowned performer and one of the very few people to achieve the EGOT - she's a S*T*A*R* baby. Don't you forget it.

by Anonymousreply 131January 21, 2021 10:05 PM

Debbie Allen's resume isn't exactly worthy of a Kennedy Center Honor.

by Anonymousreply 132January 21, 2021 11:07 PM

I could show you several hard working career theater actors whose resumes put Debbie Allen's to shame. Just because she's done a lot doesn't make any of it good.

by Anonymousreply 133January 21, 2021 11:10 PM

Debbie Allen must know some people who give out the Kennedy Center Honors. She attends the event every year.

by Anonymousreply 134January 21, 2021 11:25 PM

Read her Wiki page R134. Debbie Allen is a maven of the arts and humanities. Very much involved.

Not the least of her achievements - she taught beautiful Will how to dance.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135January 21, 2021 11:35 PM

She's not worthy of a KCH r135. Esp. when you consider some of the people who haven't had one yet.

by Anonymousreply 136January 21, 2021 11:37 PM

Dude, I already said that. Why are you so easily thrown off?

by Anonymousreply 137January 21, 2021 11:39 PM

The thing about Liza is that maybe they're worried she'll show up drunk or something.

by Anonymousreply 138January 21, 2021 11:40 PM

HI, GEORGIA!

by Anonymousreply 139January 21, 2021 11:42 PM

Oprah was high on crack when she received her Kennedy Centre Honour and Meryl was giving out Jersey girl blowjobs to Billy Joel's roadies in the mezzanine. She came back a year later to suck off Sting AND Trudie. Of course Liza would be drunk. The railing is high enough. Give her the damn necklace. She's no more shameful than the rest of them. Jimmy fucking rapist Page sat up in that box. Leonard Bernstein had a fist up inside him for the whole ceremony. Liza likes to drink and do a line or twelve. It's not like she has to sing. That she can't do. But she can sit and clap. (maybe)

by Anonymousreply 140January 21, 2021 11:53 PM

Do you like the clothes?!?!

by Anonymousreply 141January 21, 2021 11:55 PM

They should give one to Joni Mitchell

by Anonymousreply 142January 22, 2021 12:00 AM

The honorees have to show up in person and Joni Mitchell is in no shape to do that.

by Anonymousreply 143January 22, 2021 12:06 AM

I really wish they would add an Instagay category to the proceedings, kind of like when they had that spokesmodel category on Star Search.

by Anonymousreply 144January 22, 2021 12:12 AM

Joni Mitchell and Neil Young and Leonard Cohen all deserved the honor, long before they were in no shape to receive it. Their tunes just aren't catchy enough for CBS.

Those three, are actually too good for the Kennedy Center Honor. Joni Mitchell received a beautiful tribute all star televised tribute in 2003, another at the Songwriters Hall of fame in Canada and the one a few years ago in L.A. She showed up, in her wheelchair.

Patti Smith deserves the KCH too. But her work would be misrepresented in a 14 minute tribute on CBS. Billy Joel and Neil Diamond got about 40 fucking minutes AND a blowjob from Meryl.

Joni Mitchell smiles. Watch this.. you're welcome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145January 22, 2021 12:16 AM

Why would Leonard Cohen be eligible, isn’t he Canadian? Next thing you know they’ll be acknowledging Michael J. Fox or Alanis Morrisette. Wait, Young and Mitchell are Canadian too? Why are these foreigners being regaled when I’m sure there are plenty of Americans who haven’t been acknowledged. Kate Jackson is rotting at home in a hoarding nightmare of her own devising and doesn’t have one of these amongst her stuff.

by Anonymousreply 146January 22, 2021 12:26 AM

Oh great. A Beybot. I guess that was bound to happen.

by Anonymousreply 147January 22, 2021 12:26 AM

What about US!! When is it our time to shine?

by Anonymousreply 148January 22, 2021 12:27 AM

Ignorance puts itself on display, endlessly on Datalounge, huh R146. Hey. Many non Americans have received the Kennedy Center Honor. Too many to remember or list. Start with some Russians and the Brits and then move on to Canada and the Caribbean. Many many many. You're more than just culturally ignorant it seems R146? You must be a keyboard warrior from red state america! Congratulations on your stupidity.

by Anonymousreply 149January 22, 2021 12:38 AM

What's a Beybot? Is that like a Barbaric Striezand fag? Cuz they are the worst. Barbara is already forgotten, if not yet dead. Never met a song she couldn't ruin with her ego. Nancy Sinatra has more followers than Barbric Streusel. It's true. So does Bette, Cher, Reba, Celine and dead Whitney. Above them all is Dolly Parton. Streizand really is a dead and forgotten talent. She had a beautiful instrument, but oy, she's gross as a singer.

Everyone can appreciate Beyonce. Her talents are dazzling and undeniable. They may not love her, but to say she isn't outrageously talented is racism or stupidity. What decade did you last participate in - to still call people stans and bots R147?

by Anonymousreply 150January 22, 2021 12:58 AM

At least the honors are back. The US is slowly getting back to normal.

The orange imbecile sure tried his hardest to appeal to his rancid low-rent base, people with little interest in culture, their main interests seemed to be hating others and guns.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151January 22, 2021 7:38 AM

From last year:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152January 22, 2021 11:03 AM

Melania was on the Board of Directors too. She didn't give a f.

by Anonymousreply 153January 22, 2021 2:06 PM

People bitching about Debbie Allen. What the fuck has Liza done in the last thirty years other than marry a gay man and show up shitfaced on television numerous times?

And how did she ever get a Grammy? The woman released a handful of studio albums at most and only one charted.

by Anonymousreply 154January 23, 2021 2:02 AM

Liza's celebrity and body of work is definitely worthy.

by Anonymousreply 155January 23, 2021 2:03 AM

Bitch please. She stole my fucking oscar.

by Anonymousreply 156January 23, 2021 2:04 AM

Liza deserved that Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 157January 23, 2021 2:14 AM

Years ago on SNL Nora Dunn did a game show parody called "Make Joan Baez Laugh."

by Anonymousreply 158January 23, 2021 2:14 AM

Carly Simon

by Anonymousreply 159January 23, 2021 2:28 AM

Faye Dunaway deserves the honor.

by Anonymousreply 160January 23, 2021 7:21 PM

Kevin Kline. He's so good in every movie and deserves to be appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 161January 24, 2021 2:41 PM

Kind of shocking that Francis Ford Coppola never received it.

I think Burt Bacharach will receive it before Dionne Warwick, even though the two are synonymous with each other.

by Anonymousreply 162January 24, 2021 9:07 PM

Ugh! Could they swap Joan Baez out for some less shrill and sanctimonious? I’d settle for Judy Collins.

by Anonymousreply 163January 27, 2021 4:18 AM

Jane Fonda definitely deserves to be honored, but of course that's impossible.

by Anonymousreply 164January 27, 2021 4:26 AM

[quote] Debbie Allen's resume isn't exactly worthy of a Kennedy Center Honor.

Debbie Allen’s 40 + yr career includes her work as a dancer, choreographer, actress, singer, producer and director. She has worked continuously and how many others have successfully worked in each of those areas, particularly women. For a decade Allen choreographed the Academy Awards show. She’s had a very long and unique career that didn’t begin nor end with Fame.

Of course this whole fucking thread is one big complaint about black people. The idiots commenting don’t even know anything about Debbie Allen’s career. Datalounge is so transparent.

by Anonymousreply 165January 27, 2021 4:51 AM

Liza has two Grammy Awards. One was a life time achievement award and the other was for Cabaret, however it was a remastered verison in 2008 I think.

by Anonymousreply 166January 27, 2021 5:06 AM

STFU r165. It's not that Debbie Allen is black, it's that her body of work isn't really worthy. There are a lot of prominent entertainers who have never received the award who should have it by now.

by Anonymousreply 167January 27, 2021 5:27 AM

Debbie Allen's interpretive dance numbers to the Best Picture nominees at the Oscars were always a laughingstock that had people howling. Even journalists, who ripped it up every year without fail.

Gil Cates was the producer of the Oscars in those years and he was smitten with Debbie. When Cates was gone as producer, Debbie was gone from the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 168January 27, 2021 5:29 AM

Debbie Allen is the poor man’s Phylicia Rashad...

Yes to Burt Bacharach and Jane Fonda and Liza. Although Burt is in his 90s so move it along!

by Anonymousreply 169January 27, 2021 5:31 AM

The Kennedy Center Honors are tacky as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 170January 27, 2021 5:33 AM

"Of course this whole fucking thread is one big complaint about black people."

No, just about Debbie Allen. The award used to be about people such as Marian Anderson , Sidney Poitier, Ella Fitzgerald Alvin Ailey, Buddy Guy, Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee. No one complained about them and the other " black people" that have received the honor. The question is whether or not Debbie Allen is in their company. Of course, there are detractors of others who have won the honor recently, as it seems to be more about getting tv ratings than honoring great artists.

by Anonymousreply 171January 27, 2021 1:30 PM

The producers are trying, but so far, the thing that is really missing is joy. The tributes are very much like they are honoring dead performers. The presenters are just too serious and scripted.

by Anonymousreply 172June 7, 2021 12:30 AM

Barry Gordy should be given a Kennedy Center Honor

by Anonymousreply 173June 7, 2021 12:32 AM

Everybody always cites these numbers suggesting Garth Brooks is literally bigger than the Beatles, but I only know that one song of his about friends in low places. I don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 174June 7, 2021 12:34 AM

Joan Baez is still stunning.

by Anonymousreply 175June 7, 2021 12:41 AM

Why are they doing this show in the middle of the summer. They usually air it during Christmas

Why didn't they do that again, as the pandemic would mostly over by then

Seems weird to have it in the dead of summer

by Anonymousreply 176June 7, 2021 12:43 AM

These are last year's honorees.

by Anonymousreply 177June 7, 2021 12:46 AM

I have terminal nut cancer and have only been staying alive for THIS EVENT, the kennedy center honors. My only joy in life has been "hanging out" on datalounge with you fellows, discussing garth brooks and whatever faggot is onstage and I LOVE IT. And I love you. Put that gun away, my fat friend and god bless paula abdul

by Anonymousreply 178June 7, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote] These are last year's honorees.

They are going to do TWO Kennedy Center Honors this year

by Anonymousreply 179June 7, 2021 12:54 AM

Chita , Julie, and Tveit for DVD.

by Anonymousreply 180June 7, 2021 12:57 AM

Yo-Yo really aged during the pandemic. Still brilliant, but very grey.

by Anonymousreply 181June 7, 2021 1:10 AM

"They are going to do TWO Kennedy Center Honors this year"

The 2020 Kennedy Center Honors, which traditionally is held in early December each year, was postponed until May 2021 due to the ongoing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Don't know about this year's program, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is one in Dec., since Biden would want to go, in contrast to Trump.

by Anonymousreply 182June 7, 2021 1:24 AM

So did the Debbie Allen tribute air? If so who from "Fame" showed up?

by Anonymousreply 183June 7, 2021 1:32 AM

Debbie was first. The tribute was done by dancers, no one from "Fame" nor any big stars performing, unlike the other honorees. All of the tribute songs are really short this year.

by Anonymousreply 184June 7, 2021 1:39 AM

thanks R184

by Anonymousreply 185June 7, 2021 1:41 AM

Shaved headed Travolta gives tribute to Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 186June 7, 2021 1:45 AM

Brooks in tears hearing his idol, James Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 187June 7, 2021 1:45 AM

Very cool as Garth stands during Taylor's song and removes his hat in respect.

by Anonymousreply 188June 7, 2021 1:47 AM

Gladys Knight closes the Brooks tribute. Strange that everyone had big names performing, except for Debbie Allen.

by Anonymousreply 189June 7, 2021 1:57 AM

I'm a transman

by Anonymousreply 190June 7, 2021 2:07 AM

Biden did give them a nice reception/party at the White House. Nice to see that tradition back.

by Anonymousreply 191June 7, 2021 2:21 AM

Leave it to CBS to place a rhinestone as the crown jewel of the Kennedy Center Honors. It's bad enough country music honors its own every other goddamn week on this stupid network. I lost patience with the Midori segment when it became clear that they were going to completely erase her famous collision into the barrier on ice skates. Debbie Allen clearly hasn't progressed as a choreographer, though I commend her lending her talents to today's troubled teens at the inner city help center. I felt sad for Dick Van Dyke, who wasn't found worthy of any artistic contribution past 1969.

by Anonymousreply 192June 7, 2021 3:15 AM

And what have you done with your life, R 192?

by Anonymousreply 193June 7, 2021 4:05 AM

I adore Dick Van Dyke.

I remember doing a report ion Joan Baez in 1975. I’m so glad she was honored.

by Anonymousreply 194June 7, 2021 4:13 AM

I’m with all of you about Debbie Allen. What a joke. Her career doesn’t stand out any more than 99% of the entertainers. Does that mean Jada will get one next year?

by Anonymousreply 195June 7, 2021 6:11 AM

Garth Brooks? I meant Girth Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 196June 7, 2021 9:57 AM

The program was better than most of the award shows. The only thing was that the vast majority of live entertainers chose to do ballads, making the tribute seem more like a memorial concert than a celebration. The best thing was that there were no political or "woke" moments. Dick Van Dyke seemed ecstatic.

by Anonymousreply 197June 7, 2021 11:42 AM

Aaron Tveit and Pentatonix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198June 7, 2021 11:45 AM

R1, I’m fifty-two so that is about right. I did a semester with her teacher at Juilliard and she was playing viola (as to not burn out) and I recalled her being very mature but younger than I

by Anonymousreply 199June 7, 2021 11:47 AM

Emmy Lou Harris and Marcy Chapin Carpenter for Joan Baez.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200June 7, 2021 11:48 AM

Kelly Clarkson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201June 7, 2021 11:48 AM

Midori gets Yo-Yo Ma to perform, Brooks gets James Taylor and Gladys Knight. And who does Debbie Allen get? The legendary Vanessa Hudgens!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202June 7, 2021 11:51 AM

"Put on a Happy Face."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203June 7, 2021 11:58 AM

Joe Manchin was in attendance & was singing along to “We Shall Overcome” as part of the tribute to Joan Baez. How ironic.

by Anonymousreply 204June 7, 2021 3:04 PM

James Taylor honors Garth Brooks; Garth, in turn, honors him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205June 7, 2021 6:35 PM

Dl favorite, Derek Hough leads the dancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206June 7, 2021 8:28 PM

Aaron Tveit charms the press while talking about DVD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207June 7, 2021 8:35 PM

CNN certainly "covered" Debbie Allen's tribute well:

Actress/dancer/director Debbie Allen, singer/activist Joan Baez, country superstar Garth Brooks, violinist Midori and legendary actor Dick Van Dyke were honored at the 43rd annual event.

Brooks, in particular, was visibly moved when singer Kelly Clarkson performed his song "The Dance," and cheered for her at the end. He was also visibly moved by performances of his hits by James Taylor, Jimmie Allen and Gladys Knight.

Debbie Allen's tribute was a bit of a family affair. She was feted by her sister, actress Phylicia Rashad, along with others.

by Anonymousreply 208June 8, 2021 5:19 PM

regarding Paul McCartney not receiving the Kennedy Center Honors, I submit the video of him receiving the Kennedy Center Honors. My recollection is that he was not available when G. Bush had him on the list, but he was available when President Obama tried. I can understand Paul's thinking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209June 8, 2021 5:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!