Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Kate McKinnon's imitations of men on SNL

I am baffled why SNL keeps featuring her imitations of men. They're not in any way reminiscent of the people she imitates: whenever she imitates a male politician like Jeff Sessions or Rudy Giuliani, she always plays them like manic, smiling little elves. Rudy Giuliani is not very manic: he has a slow, deliberative manner.

I don't get why she is asked to regularly do these imitations on the show. They have more than enough men now who could imitate male politicians. Is she just one of those SNL performers (like Kristen Wiig was) whom Lorne Michaels adores and so will let do whatever they want to do? I've never yet heard anyone say they find her jess Sessions or her Rudy Giuliani anything other than creepy.

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2021 2:05 AM

Jeff Sessions and Rudy are creepy.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2021 5:47 PM

But not creepy in the same way as how she plays them, r1.

They are terrible impersonations. Don't pretend they are accurate.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2021 5:50 PM

I hafta agree. But their impressions are bad in general. SNL seems to operate like a closed circuit; it matters little whether routines are funny or not. They figure their audience is stoned or drunk.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2021 5:54 PM

This wasn't always the case, though. And some people on the show can do fine impressions (even some of McKinnon's imitations of women, like Elizabeth Warren, are excellent).

I really think it's time for Lorne Michaels to retire. They need new blood.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2021 5:59 PM

Every once in a while his free-range comedians produce gold.

I was trying to find video of Garrett Morris singing Schubert, but it’s behind a wall.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2021 6:05 PM

North! South! East! West!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2021 6:37 PM

I don’t get why she does Rudy’s hands like he has CP or something. It’s distracting and I despise her “impersonation.”

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2021 6:46 PM

Its because she's a lesbian, Rose.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2021 6:53 PM

I don’t get the acclaim for her.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2021 7:36 PM

"I am baffled why SNL keeps featuring her imitations of men. They're not in any way reminiscent of the people she imitates: whenever she imitates a male politician like Jeff Sessions or Rudy Giuliani, she always plays them like manic, smiling little elves."

I think that's the point. I'm hot and cold with her; sometimes she's funny to me, other times super annoying. But, I've never thought that portraying someone means that you have to do an exact imitation.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2021 9:03 PM

You should be at least recognizable as the person you're portraying, r10--that IS the point.

When she plays male politicians, she's absolutely nowhere close. The problem is not so much her gender: Melissa McCarthy was hilarious as Sean Spicer and recognizable as him too.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2021 9:09 PM

Kate McKinnon isn’t funny. SNL hasn’t been funny for years.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2021 9:16 PM

She doesn't capture the voices or the physical characteristics. Loren Michael loves her and that's all that matters. She's one of those women being forced on us like Jennifer Lawrence or Tiffany Haddish or Mindy Kalin

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2021 9:22 PM

Although Melissa McCarthy's Sean Spicer was gold:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2021 9:26 PM

Y’all have no sense of humor. Kate McKinnon is hilarious and these impersonations are great. She’s playing up the comic book toady Giuliani has become.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2021 9:36 PM

You'd also think by now Lorne and SNL would be hiring new cast members who could portray politicians who we all know we'll need to be parodied week. Gotta say, they've become so reliant on tiresome Madame Tussaud's wigs and prosthetics, it takes all the fun out of it. I long for the days that Chevy Chase would do Gerald Ford without any of that. Or Gilda Radner would do Roseanne Rosannadanna with just a cardigan and an old dress.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2021 9:37 PM

I’ve enjoyed her in the past, but I think it’s time for her to move on.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2021 9:41 PM

This isn't really new and not limited to Kate McKinnon. Tina Fey made Sarah Palin as a character quite likable playing up to virtually every weakness she possessed.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote] Gotta say, they've become so reliant on tiresome Madame Tussaud's wigs and prosthetics, it takes all the fun out of it. I long for the days that Chevy Chase would do Gerald Ford without any of that. Or Gilda Radner would do Roseanne Rosannadanna with just a cardigan and an old dress.

You're saying you believe Gilda Radner did Roseanne Rosannadanna without a wig???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 14, 2021 1:30 AM

Oh god! I'm so embarrassed, senior dementia, for sure. I was thinking of Emily Litella.

Well....never mind.....

by Anonymousreply 20January 14, 2021 2:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!