Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

US Executes First Woman In 67 Years

Known as the "womb raider", Lisa Montgomery strangled a pregnant woman and cut her baby from her womb.

And sadly this execution will do absolutely nothing to curb crime in this country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2021 11:35 AM

What a fucking psycho! I'm glad the bitch is dead, although she wouldn't have had an easy time in prison.

by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2021 1:12 PM

I can picture her with a MAGA cap, a U. S. flag-themed backpack and wrapped in a Confederate flag.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2021 1:13 PM

R1. She spent quite some time in prison.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2021 1:21 PM

Good riddance.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2021 1:33 PM

There was an in-depth article about her in The New Yorker. It was beyond harrowing, and not just for the crime she committed which is unspeakably awful.

For her whole childhood this woman was basically used as a fuck doll by a parade of step-fathers and other men her physically abusive, alcoholic mother hooked up with. And that's only a small sampling of what she endured. This is certainly not an excuse for her actions. but by every conceivable diagnostic measure she was mentally ill beyond repair.

What an awful life.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2021 1:38 PM

Mentally ill and should have been institutionalized for life.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2021 2:42 PM

Psychopaths aren't deterred by knowing that executions are a possibility.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2021 2:43 PM

I was tracking it all night. Twitter was all about stopping the execution because of her very recent arguments based on past abuse.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2021 2:47 PM

Wasn't Aileen Wuornos executed in 2002?

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2021 3:00 PM

Wuornos' wasn't a federal execution.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2021 3:04 PM

Much hand-wringing on Twitter about this one; "oh, she was mentally ill." They wouldn't be this distraught if a man had been executed for strangling a pregnant woman and cutting out the baby.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2021 3:08 PM

She had my chin.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2021 3:08 PM

Hope she finds peace and forgiveness.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2021 3:10 PM

I assume Wuornos was a state execution and this woman was a Federal execution.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2021 3:10 PM

[quote] She spent quite some time in prison

But on death row, where no one had access to her but guards. She would have been in her cell 23 hours a day and one hour for solitary exercise time.

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2021 3:11 PM

I’m torn on this one. I’d feel better about executing her if they also executed the “father figures” who brutalized her during childhood, likely contributing to her insanity. On the other hand, I’m not sure what the point of keeping unrehabilitatable, criminally insane people around is-as callous as that sounds.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2021 3:15 PM

R16 or her mother.

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2021 3:15 PM

I'm sold that the threat of execution is not a deterrent. I flip back and forth on the desire for punishment and retribution. In this case, it sounds as lifetime in an institution for the criminally insane would have been appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2021 3:22 PM

If we had socialized medicine, maybe people could access to therapy and work through damage before inflicting it on others. What if she had gotten therapy? What if her mother had received therapy? Her step-father?

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2021 3:22 PM

I was pregnant with my son and had a nightmare that I met someone from Craigslist to buy baby clothes and she strangled me while her husband cut the baby out. It was one of the realest, most terrifying dreams I've ever had. I still remember it all these years later. Then within a few days of the dream, this story came out.

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2021 3:24 PM

This is just proof that we have to help these kids before they turn into this. Socialized medicine is not the answer on its own. I grew up in he UK and we are certainly a less violent culture than the US but the working class areas I was raised in are unfortunately full of people who are carrying a lot of childhood trauma. My own mother is an incest survivor and probably 50% of people her age grew up in an alcoholic and/or violent home. The NHS is great but try getting good mental health support in the regions.

In general I am against the death penalty. This woman's crime was just horrendous but I do have sympathy for the child who turned into this. Whether we execute or lock them in solitary for life we can't stick our fingers in our eyes and do nothing to prevent this intergenerational trauma that plagues poor community of all ethnicities and races.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2021 3:29 PM

Now that r20 has spoken we are at FRAUCON 1

Commence mug-cradling protocol

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2021 3:42 PM

[quote]What if she had gotten therapy? What if her mother had received therapy? Her step-father?

Apparently the sister was sent to a foster family and she was forced to stay with her biological family who completely screwed her up. Her sister commented that she wasn't lying about what happened to her but that she should, at the most, be in prison for the rest of her life and not executed.

Add into that the visible, from brain scans, brain damage and you have another Aaron Hernandez type situation. On one hand they should have been punished severely for their crimes but on the other hand if maybe their brains functioned normally maybe they wouldn't have committed those crimes? And in her case she didn't even have anything close to a stable childhood.

Although I would like to know why the sister was removed from the home but she was forced to stay.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2021 3:51 PM

When we've discussed homelessness here, I've argued for availability of mental-health care for adolescents. I'll advocate again here for that.

I've been in treatment with people who're considered dual diagnosis, i.e., they have an underlying mental-health issue combined with addiction. Most of those people seemed to me to suffering PTSD from childhood trauma that they self treated with alcohol or drugs, developing an addiction, often leading to joblessness, prostitution or homelessness or some combination thereof.

I wish every troubled child or teenager had access to counseling. Many of them could benefit from talk therapy alone without medication (there has been a backlash against overmedicated teenagers, I think). They could benefit from coaching on dispute resolution. They won't all be saved. But by not properly funding Children's Protective Services, not putting counselors in every high school, and not funding mental-health treatment for all, we're guaranteeing ourselves a large population of nonfunctional adults, many of whom will end up on the streets, some of whom will end up in prison.

The United States is so short sighted.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2021 4:01 PM

[quote] On the other hand, I’m not sure what the point of keeping unrehabilitatable, criminally insane people around is-as callous as that sounds.

Because the same people who uphold the laws permitting the government to kill people also claim to be God fearing and believe in the 10 Commandments, one of which is "Thou Shall Not Kill". Capital punishment is state sanctioned murder, and no matter how heinous a crime someone committed the government should not put itself on the same level of being a killer.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2021 4:52 PM

Two more before 1/20.

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2021 5:00 PM

I can't cheer for the death of a woman who endured brutal sexual abuse, rape, torture and more - her whole childhood - at the hands of her mother and countless men in her life. This story has my stomach in knots. She should have been receiving medical care and institutionalized. Sounds like everyone including her lawyers failed her.

I do want her mother, father, misc "men" in her life put to death though. Where are they?

I think this story has flipped me anti-death penalty fully. I side with R25 in this case.

by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2021 5:10 PM

[R27] Shes old , so all those people are probably long dead. I do think anyone who has abused a child should be locked up for life. They are much more a threat to society than a drug dealer or bank robber. I’ll bet cutting the cycle of abuse would eliminate most social problems, including drug abuse and theft. Early childhood trauma completely rewires your brain and damages you forever.

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2021 5:19 PM

I don't know why the DOJ didn't schedule these executions from the beginning of Cheeto's administration. There are around 55 on federal death row, with two before the inauguration, though one of those has been challenged for failure to give proper notice, I'm not sure to whom.

DeWine keeps giving those on death row in Ohio state prisons reprieves of one sort of another, so only Texas is regularly executing among the states. Alabama has one coming up, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2021 5:21 PM

I have mixed feelings. My dad had a cousin who was executed despite no evidence tying him to the crime (unfortunately, a cop was murdered and somebody had to pay). To this day he’s upset that his family never fought on behalf of the cousin or allowed him to visit.

I wouldn’t be upset if the death penalty was abolished, but when it’s proven somebody has committed murder, I think it’s fair for death to be on the table.

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2021 5:27 PM

A district court judge stayed the two remaining federal executions, originally scheduled for 1/14 and 1/15, because both have COVID and apparently it's more painful to be executed when you have COVID. I'm sure the DOJ has sent it to the Supreme Court, and they'll strike it down, but who knows what other challenges will stall it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2021 5:30 PM

I'm against the death penalty in all circumstances, which is part of why I'm cynical about people advocating for murderers like this to get a reprieve. There is no ethical way to put someone to death, and the idea someone should get a pass for hardship or mental illness is absurd to me.

Fact is, most murderers on death row committed incredibly evil crimes. Anti-death-penalty activists are making a mistake making the death penalty about death row inmates' humanity. Some of them have none. Make it about practicality (it costs more) and about the potential of an innocent person being executed.

by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2021 6:01 PM

Yes, she's a psycho but should we be in the business of killing psychos?

Her life growing up was horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2021 6:20 PM

Biden is very anti-death penalty, so I'm hoping he'll commute all who are currently condemned to death to life w/o parole, and then work with Congress toward abolishing the death penalty altogether so that those on state death rows can receive commutations as well.

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2021 6:21 PM

"For her whole childhood this woman was basically used as a fuck doll by a parade of step-fathers and other men"

That's exactly what I would say if I was headed for the gas chamber. I would bring the courtroom to tears.

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2021 6:23 PM

Every time I've had to deal with cops, they're completely inept. If they can't get an address right, I don't expect them to get a death penalty case right.

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote] I wouldn’t be upset if the death penalty was abolished, but when it’s proven somebody has committed murder, I think it’s fair for death to be on the table.

Proving is often tough but lawyers feel they proved it just by getting a guilty from a jury. This is why the isn't anyone white person on death row for killing a black person and rarely is.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2021 6:25 PM

Does her pussy stink?

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2021 6:35 PM

[quote] I wouldn’t be upset if the death penalty was abolished, but when it’s proven somebody has committed murder, I think it’s fair for death to be on the table.

Everybody on death row (US) has either gone to trial (case *proven* beyond a reasonable doubt) or has pled guilty or no contest to murder, etc.

by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2021 6:38 PM

I'm torn about this one too; maybe she gets more sympathy because she's a woman, but it makes you think about how incredibly damaged some people are. Not to excuse it, but no wonder people like her can't see the humanity in other people when no one ever saw the humanity in them.

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2021 6:47 PM

[quote] Because the same people who uphold the laws permitting the government to kill people also claim to be God fearing and believe in the 10 Commandments, one of which is "Thou Shall Not Kill". Capital punishment is state sanctioned murder

The argument of someone with only the most superficial grasp of both religion and law.

by Anonymousreply 41January 13, 2021 6:58 PM

r5 I read that article too. And I regret it.

And to the "She made it up!!" troll who posted somewhere on this thread: she was confirmed to have had TBI from her stepfather slamming her head repeatedly into the floor.

What a fucking awful life.

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2021 10:15 PM

[Quote]I do want her mother, father, misc "men" in her life put to death though. Where are they?

More than likely her mother endured the same Intergenerational abuse

by Anonymousreply 43January 13, 2021 10:40 PM

R42

Sounds like she was also born with fetal alcohol syndrome.

by Anonymousreply 44January 13, 2021 10:41 PM

How responsible was Trump for this execution happening on his watch? He could have stopped it, right?

If so, some part of me thinks this is his misogyny telling all women, "FUCK YOU!"

by Anonymousreply 45January 13, 2021 11:17 PM

Just set up a guillotine in the public square why don't we?

Fucking barbaric insane medieval shit.

Of course T**** federally executed the first woman since '53 because OF COURSE HE DID.

by Anonymousreply 46January 13, 2021 11:32 PM

Her mother was a POS. I read a local newspaper article from before the trial. Mama was doing everything she could to make it "not her fault" It was disgusting, that women should be in prison.

by Anonymousreply 47January 13, 2021 11:47 PM

Beyond sad. She never stood a chance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 13, 2021 11:51 PM

She's a murderer. They should have left her in prison to rot for the rest of her life. No need to become murderers ourselves.

by Anonymousreply 49January 13, 2021 11:51 PM

I couldn't make it past the first paragraph of r48.

Holy fuck this world is depressing.

by Anonymousreply 50January 14, 2021 12:00 AM

I had a job for her at one of my clinics. Such a waste .....

by Anonymousreply 51January 14, 2021 12:40 AM

I shouldn’t have read that article. Why are people so cruel? Why would they rape and torture a kid? Why why why?

by Anonymousreply 52January 14, 2021 1:49 AM

Happens all day, every day and it happens in a lot of species, R52.

What kind of world did you imagine you were living in?

by Anonymousreply 53January 14, 2021 1:52 AM

R48, that is overwhelming, what happened to her. I understand people saying that we'd not feel sorry for a man. But, yes, if I had heard that a boy was raped repeatedly like that, I'd feel like that should be taken into consideration.

by Anonymousreply 54January 14, 2021 1:56 AM

I don't care about her abused childhood. Seriously - don't give a fuck.

Millions of people go through the same, worse, some variation on it, etc, and they don't murder people and rip babies out of their bodies.

I'm against her getting the death penalty because I'm against the death penalty. It's not personal to this fucking cunt and her story.

by Anonymousreply 55January 14, 2021 2:03 AM

She needed to go. She was sentenced and the family deserves justice. I dont give a fuck who ordered it.

by Anonymousreply 56January 14, 2021 2:23 AM

She was delusional. Nobody could gave mental illness by claiming God was talking to them thru connect the dot puzzles. Nobody could make that shit up.

by Anonymousreply 57January 14, 2021 2:41 AM

Should read fake mental illness

by Anonymousreply 58January 14, 2021 2:41 AM

Corey Johnson tomorrow if the Supreme Court hurried up.

by Anonymousreply 59January 14, 2021 3:22 AM

Americans are not more violent, R21. We're just better shots.

by Anonymousreply 60January 14, 2021 4:08 AM

Who was the woman who cut a baby out of another lady with a car key?

by Anonymousreply 61January 14, 2021 11:35 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!