Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anderson Cooper "I wanted to join the military"

The Anderson Cooper 360 host and recent new dad gave the comments during a viewer question segment called “Ask Anderson Almost Anything” on CNN’s Full Circle.

"I think I truly embraced it, and came around to really loving the fact that I was gay, right after college.”

For AC the process wasn’t all rainbows. He went on to explain his worry that he wouldn’t be able to achieve his ambitious goals as an out gay man.

“I kind of struggled even in my teenage years and a little in college,” he said.

“The things I wanted to do at the time, you couldn’t be gay. I was interested in joining the military, but you can’t be gay and join the military.

“I felt like there were a lot of places that I was limited in travelling to for safety reasons. I just felt like there were a lot of limitations on it, and it wasn’t what I envisioned for my life.

“I imagined a family and getting married, and all those things which weren’t possible at the time, so it took me a while to kind of fully embrace it.”

But there came a breaking point for Cooper’s life in the closet.

“At a certain point, about a year after college, I realized… I don’t want to waste any more time worrying about this, and wishing I was some other way, and I want to embrace who I am.

“As I’ve said before, I think being gay is one of the great blessings in my life, and it’s made me a better person and it’s made me a better reporter.

“When you feel growing up like you’re on the outside of things, and you’re kind of an observer to things and not necessarily in the mainstream, you see society from a slightly different view, and I think that can be very valuable.

“It’s enabled me to love the people that I’ve loved, and live the life that I’ve had, so I’m very blessed.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2021 4:46 PM

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Oh, my sides!

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2021 11:39 PM

Who cares, Anderson?

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 11:39 PM

So butch!

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2021 12:28 AM

Love to see him in a remake of Private Benjamin!

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2021 4:17 AM

Chile, please.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2021 4:19 AM

Blah blah blah.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2021 4:21 AM

Is Andy capable of having a man-to-man conversation with trooper Geick?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2021 4:24 AM

General Cooper leads the charge to the circuit party.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2021 4:25 AM

R5 Indeed Chile.

Anderson's great-great grandmother, Luisa Kilpatrick, née Valdivieso Araoz, was a member of a wealthy Chilean family that had emigrated from Spain in the 17th century.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2021 4:30 AM

[quote]I wanted to join the military.

I re-examined my priorities when I discovered that’s the WACs had been disbanded.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2021 4:30 AM

This mummy's boy is a poseur.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2021 4:32 AM

Possibly, he's trying to explain why it took him so long to come out of the closet. But he was well into a successful non-military career when he finally and anticlimactically came out as gay.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2021 4:35 AM

Life must have been very difficult for an heir.

by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2021 12:40 PM

Girl, no.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2021 1:00 PM

Bless his heart!

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2021 3:00 PM

At least he was rich in a very liberal city. He didn't have to mix with the deplorables' kids.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2021 3:08 PM

Yeah, I thought about joining the military, too - as a friend said, "For all the wrong reasons"!

by Anonymousreply 17January 13, 2021 4:29 PM

All snark aside, I understand what he means by “I felt like there were a lot of places that I was limited in travelling to for safety reasons."

I still feel that today. Also, I felt there were a lot of careers and professions that were almost incompatible with being gay back then.

It was a different time, but being anti-gay was the norm in the 80's and 90's. It wasn't uncommon and it wasn't frowned upon and it sure as hell wasn't a slice of diversity that businesses wanted.

by Anonymousreply 18January 13, 2021 4:37 PM

I adore Anderson.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2021 4:46 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!