Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is the best episode of I Love Lucy?

you know, in response to the one about the worst.

Me, I liked the one where she and Ethel and Fred went to the Brown Derby and they met Eve Arden and see Bill Holden and later, Lucy freaks when Rick brings Bill Holden home.

The bit with dunking the fake nose into her coffee cup to complete putting out the flame wasn't in the script.

by Anonymousreply 295July 18, 2021 5:30 PM

Ricky’s Movie Offer — Vance has one of the great unscripted sight gags of the series. Catches Ball completely off-guard. I have a video capture but it might be compressed badly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 13, 2021 1:07 AM

Lucy always claimed that nose stuff wasn't in the script, but that was bullshit has been debunked by numerous production staff from the show.

by Anonymousreply 2January 13, 2021 1:12 AM

Vitameatavegamin.

by Anonymousreply 3January 13, 2021 1:19 AM

The candy factory.

by Anonymousreply 4January 13, 2021 1:30 AM

Agreed, R2. She was infamous for rehearsing absolutely every detail TO DEATH.

by Anonymousreply 5January 13, 2021 1:36 AM

My fave episode is the Brown Derby one. I don't know if it's the best one.

by Anonymousreply 6January 13, 2021 1:41 AM

When she tells Ricky she's pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 7January 13, 2021 1:53 AM

I love the Christmas special.

by Anonymousreply 8January 13, 2021 2:48 AM

R2- Who cares it was FUNNY.

by Anonymousreply 9January 13, 2021 2:51 AM

I have ton of them, but I can't get the one out of my mind where they go to court and Ethel lifts her skirt to entice the judge, after seeing Lucy do it, and Fred lowers it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 13, 2021 2:54 AM

[R1]: It's my favorite too, and we get to see Eve Arden.

by Anonymousreply 11January 13, 2021 3:18 AM

The one I laughed the hardest at when I first saw it was "Lucy Does a Commercial," the popular favorite.

by Anonymousreply 12January 13, 2021 3:24 AM

Lucy and the Loving Cup

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 13, 2021 3:28 AM

When Lucy goes to the club to tell Ricky she’s pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 14January 13, 2021 3:39 AM

"Ethel's Birthday," the one with the hostess pants, the toaster, and "Over the Teacups."

by Anonymousreply 15January 13, 2021 3:45 AM

Also the one where they try to attend "The Most Happy Fella" on Broadway and hilarity ensues.

by Anonymousreply 16January 13, 2021 3:46 AM

"Cuban Pals", where Lucy is chased all over the Tropicana by a "VooDoo Man".

by Anonymousreply 17January 16, 2021 1:04 AM

I like “Lucy Meets Orson Welles.”

by Anonymousreply 18January 16, 2021 1:18 AM

I love the episode where Lucy learns to drive. Its something we can all relate to but, as with the best of their episodes, it goes from a realistic idea and goes to absolutely looney heights, with the traffic jam in Holland Tunnel and the two cars stuck together.

Oh--and the Baby Cheese episode. That one should be better remembered. Genius.

by Anonymousreply 19January 16, 2021 1:53 AM

Martha! Slowly I turned, step by step!

by Anonymousreply 20January 16, 2021 1:58 AM

Not my favorite episode, but nothing was funnier to me than seeing Bill Frawley in drag in "Ricky Asks for a Raise."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 30, 2021 1:08 PM

I enjoy when they get Lucy ready to go to the hospital to deliver the baby. They calmly rehearse what each person is going to do, then when the time comes, they all panic and mess everything up. I’ve probably seen this episode at least 25 times and it still makes me laugh. And what was so great about the episode is that it allowed Ricky, Ethel and Fred to carry the slapstick without Lucy.

Two highlights:

The suitcase breaks open spilling its contents. When Ricky repacks it, he throws in the telephone. As he’s running out the door, the phone cord trips him and he does a well executed pratfall.

They all run out the door leaving Lucy behind. She says, “Hey, wait for me.” Ricky runs back in trapping Lucy behind the door.

by Anonymousreply 22January 30, 2021 1:30 PM

Watching old episodes, I've noticed the only time Bill Frawley looks like he actually enjoys doing the show is when he's given a song and dance number. He was a Vaudevillian at heart.

There are better examples, but this is the only one I could find on YouTube:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 31, 2021 1:28 PM

[quote]but this is the only one I could find on YouTube:

He's probably happy in this number because he introduced the song in a Broadway show in 1922. He's probably glad that they let him perform one of his hits on nationwide tv.

Also, his character was supposed to be a tightwad curmudgeon, so being odious was part of the character. There are one or two scenes when he is playing with Little Ricky where he relaxes and seems to be jolly.

by Anonymousreply 24January 31, 2021 1:51 PM

Actually, I love Fred in the only real scene between he and Lucy on the Staten Island Ferry.

by Anonymousreply 25January 31, 2021 1:54 PM

"Where is your pass-a-port?"

by Anonymousreply 26January 31, 2021 2:24 PM

Trying to think of some of my favorite episodes ...

Home Movies

The Star Upstairs

Ethel's Birthday

Lucy Writes a Novel

by Anonymousreply 27January 31, 2021 3:09 PM

The one where Lucy tries to get into show business. You know that one.

by Anonymousreply 28January 31, 2021 3:32 PM

Not sure if the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour episodes are included, but 'The Celebrity Next Door' with Tallulah Bankhead is brilliant from start to finish, even with the prop malfunction that reveals the Ricardo's kitchen door has no pane of glass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 31, 2021 3:45 PM

r29 I completely forgot about that episode.

The dinner scene is one of my favorite in the series. So many great lines ...

Lucy: Ethel Mae, will you please stop boring Ms. Backhead!

Tallulah: When Ms. Bankhead is bored Ms. Bankhead will let you know.

Lucy: You'll have to excuse Ricky, he's from Cuba.

Tallulah: Yes, I had a feeling he wasn't from Alabama.

Lucy: That'll be all, Ethel Mae.

Ethel: You bet your sweet life that'll be all!

Lucy: Ethel Mae was my nanny

Ricky: She was a goat?

by Anonymousreply 30January 31, 2021 3:54 PM

[quote]He's probably happy in this number because he introduced the song in a Broadway show in 1922.

Thanks r24! I didn't know that

by Anonymousreply 31February 1, 2021 11:19 AM

Here is the clip from Home Movies -- one of my favorites of the series

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 1, 2021 11:24 AM

Phipps Department Store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 1, 2021 2:46 PM

Hep

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2021 5:57 PM

I love the episode where Lucy lies, Ricky sticks his dick into some random waitress, and Ethel plots to kill Fred's old, wrinkly ass.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 5:59 PM

I also love when Lucy and Ethel buy a dress shop. Ethel wants it renamed, "Ethel-Lu's" while Lucy wants the name to be, "Lucy-Eth's". And both episodes involving the apartment roof are favorites, particularly the one where Ethel and Lucy get locked up on the roof, Lucy lays a board between the roof and the roof of the adjacent building, and makes it look like it would be so easy to just walk across a plank of wood, eight storeys up. And she tells Ethel, "Well, one of us should go and tell someone I'm up here."

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2021 6:19 PM

The flight back from Europe with Lucy smuggling a slab of cheese disguised as her child always makes me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 6:22 PM

Stomping of the grapes.

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2021 6:22 PM

The one where Ethel defends Lucy against an annoyed Mrs. Trumbull. Ethel goes on to tell the story a few times, all proud of herself. She goes to tell it again to the bridge club, and Lucy interrupts "This story's had more performances than South Pacific!"

Ethel's upset. She tells Lucy off and ends with something like "And I'm taking MY cards, my napkins, and MY sandwiches!" At which point there's a bridge lady about to bite into a sandwich and Ethel ruthlessly snatches it out of her hand.

As funny as anything ever on the show.

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2021 7:02 PM

Vivian Vance was the not so secret key to the show’s success. She was brilliant. 30 minutes of just Lucy wouldn’t have worked as well without Ethel to balance her.

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2021 7:32 PM

The one where Lucy tries to convince Ethel to model adult cloth diapers

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2021 7:34 PM

I just enjoyed the one where Lucy and Ethel drive to Florida with Elsa Lanchester, who they think is a hatchet murderess. I love the part in the coffee shop where Lucy and Ethel are frantically signaling distress, and the laconic southern storekeeper goes, “Y’all must be from up nawth.” My partner walked past and observed, oh that’s the actor from Cool Hand Luke who said, “what we’ve got here is failure to communicate.” Guy certainly knew how to deliver a line.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2021 4:24 PM

The Freezer episode always makes me howl with laughter.

The Ballet is another great one. That's the one with "slowly, I turn", right?

I can't remember the name, but there's one where the whole gang is traveling by car and they stop off at this quaint cafe for food and spend the night in a little shack out back where the train comes through and the whole shack vibrates. That's a funny one.

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2021 6:11 PM

All my favorite episodes have been mentioned, except for these two:

Lucy plays Superman wearing a makeshift "costume" at Little Ricky's birthday and unbeknownst to her Ricky gets George Reeves to show up in his Superman costume.

Lucy and Ricky sell Fred and Ethel their old washing machine, they end up fighting over it and pushing it off the balcony.

There are a few episodes I hate, including the ones with John Wayne, Orson Welles, and Bob Hope.

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2021 6:20 PM

R34- In that clip Lucy looks like a DRAG QUEEN and Diana Ross looks like a TRANNY.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2021 7:31 PM

Lucy’s Paris gown!

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2021 8:07 PM

I despise the Tennessee Ernie Ford episodes

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2021 8:19 PM

The one where Lucy and Ricky sublease their apartment to the murder trial witness.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2021 8:22 PM

The Don Loper/Hollywood Wives episode, but only the uncut version showing all the ladies modeling the latest creations. I'm surprised Mrs. Forrest Tucker was able to walk down the runway.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2021 8:30 PM

Desi's 50-Load Weekend

by Anonymousreply 50May 19, 2021 9:36 PM

"Ethel's Hometown" (Ethel Mae Potter, we never forgot her!) where Ethel sings "Short'nin Bread while the others do classic vaudeville dumb-show antics behind her never fails to crack me up!

by Anonymousreply 51May 19, 2021 9:43 PM

R51. I like that one also. I guess my favorite is The Fashion Show. I also like Cuban Pete.

by Anonymousreply 52May 19, 2021 9:58 PM

We hate the Tennessee Ernie Ford ones too.

by Anonymousreply 53May 19, 2021 10:01 PM

What's the one where Lucy and Ethel eavesdrop - Oh for heaven's sake Albert eat your lunch!

by Anonymousreply 54May 19, 2021 10:10 PM

The Tallulah episode was written for Bette Davis but she had to cancel at the last minute due to illness. Tallulah showed up drunk and uncooperative at rehearsals. Lucy and Desi expected the worst during filming but Tallulah brought the house down, especially in her scenes with Vance. Vance was stage trained and knew how to just go with what was happening, which Lucy could never do. My favorite episode ever, if you consider the hour long episodes part of the canon.

by Anonymousreply 55May 19, 2021 11:04 PM

The crossover Ozzie and Harriett episode where Lucy and Ricky swap wives.

by Anonymousreply 56May 19, 2021 11:13 PM

It never fails to make me laugh, r51...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 19, 2021 11:23 PM

R55 Watching that episode as a kid, I was honestly frightened of Tallulah. She was ghoulish to me.

by Anonymousreply 58May 20, 2021 1:11 AM

R55 Could you elaborate a bit more on what Lucy could never do? I don’t get it but I’m curious.

by Anonymousreply 59May 20, 2021 1:13 AM

Yes, it was interesting to have read in one of the show's more detailed by-episode biographers that while the flaming fake nose in that Hollywood-based episode was in the (typically very well planned-out) script, apparently it was Lucille's idea to bend forward and dunk it into the coffee to extinguish it. That's a fun one, too. lol

by Anonymousreply 60May 20, 2021 1:56 AM

I loved that Tallulah episode, especially the brilliant first half-hour or so. Besides it being the second of the 1957-1960 hourlong Ricardos/Mertzes episodes, to me it's the only one that actually feels like it could've been an episode of the regular show's half-hour run, but maybe a two-parter.

Lucy: "You'll have to excuse him, Miss Bankhead, he's [Ricky] from Cuba..."

Tallulah: "...Oh, yes, I had a feeling he wasn't from Alabama!!"

by Anonymousreply 61May 20, 2021 1:59 AM

R39, what a great choice. Watching Ethel repeat her story of coming to the Ricardo's defense over and over again was hilarious. And it had an unusually sweet ending to it (Mrs. Trumball holding the baby).

I'm not a big fan of the Lucy-Desi Comedy Hours, but I must admit I loved the one where the Ricardos rent out the house to the the Williams family (the roles played by Danny Thomas and company on "Make Room For Daddy"). As usual , Marjorie Lord's Kathy Williams is trying to make peace between the warring families, when Lucy screams "Don't you EVER get mad?" and hits her with a snowball.

by Anonymousreply 62May 20, 2021 2:29 AM

This episode was on today...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 20, 2021 2:35 AM

Ball couldn't ad lib or just run with a scene. She had to have everything rehearsed to a T or she got totally thrown, That's why the Tallulah episode spooked her.

by Anonymousreply 64May 20, 2021 2:41 AM

A vote for "Charm School." Natalie Schaeffer suggests Lucy change her face powder to correct Lucy's "weird, unnatural look."

Lucy: I'm not wearing powder.

by Anonymousreply 65May 20, 2021 2:52 AM

"Lucy Wants new Furniture"

(Lucy walks out of her bedroom with her hair in a gigantic afro, after leaving her permanent in for several hours by mistake. Fred, Ethel, and DXesi look on in shock, until fred breaks the ice:)

FRED: "Well, if it's isn't Little Orphan Annie!"

LUCY: (trying to be brave, but about to burst into tears at any second) "That's all right... I always wanted to look like a chrysanthemum.... **WAAAAH!!**..."

by Anonymousreply 66May 20, 2021 3:03 AM

The one in I think Paris, where Lucy and Ethel haughtily parade around in burlap sacks and barrels or some such, thinking it's designer fashion.

by Anonymousreply 67May 20, 2021 3:06 AM

Where Viv sings I am Lily of the Valley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68May 20, 2021 3:07 AM

"THe squire is in his inn/ And his inn is on the Oudt.

by Anonymousreply 69May 20, 2021 3:09 AM

Mrs. Trundle's Suicide.

by Anonymousreply 70May 20, 2021 3:12 AM

God, the Indian Show episode is so good

by Anonymousreply 71May 20, 2021 3:12 AM

Vance had a fine, professionally trained, singing voice and when required in ILL, she could bring it to the fore quite effectively. Contrary to popular conversation, she didn't understudy Ethel Merman in Anything Goes but she was in the chorus of that show and she later understudied Merman in another show, Cole Porter's Red, Hot and Blue I think, but I'm open to correction.

by Anonymousreply 72May 20, 2021 3:25 AM

[quote]I think, but I'm open to correction.

Or at least an Oh, MARY! (Martin)

by Anonymousreply 73May 20, 2021 3:27 AM

A few favorites that never get mentioned:

When Lucy has to entertain Ricky's boss with a seance and Ethel plays medium Madame Ethel Mertzola: Ethel to Tilly! Come in, Tilly!

When Lucy and Ethel decide to sell Aunt Martha's Salad Dressing with TV commercials.

When Lucy takes Fred on the Staten Island Ferry to "cure" him of his seasickness and she gets seasick herself.

by Anonymousreply 74May 20, 2021 3:29 AM

Take it up with IBDB, r72...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 20, 2021 2:38 PM

No understudies listed. Vivian is listed as in the role of...Vivian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76May 20, 2021 2:42 PM

A vote for "Charm School."

I agree. when Lucy comes out all dolled up and Ethel rings the doorbell. Lucy insists she would answer it. Fred: Answer it? I was going to lock it!

by Anonymousreply 77May 20, 2021 2:52 PM

[quote] Lucy and Ricky sell Fred and Ethel their old washing machine, they end up fighting over it and pushing it off the balcony.

If you watch carefully at 3:15, you can see the washing machine bounce off what must've been some sort of padding placed out of camera range.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 20, 2021 2:53 PM

Viv had the greatest reactions of the four, bar none. See 3:25 - 3:33 of r78's clip

by Anonymousreply 79May 20, 2021 2:57 PM

R75:

I have known strange errors in that publication.

by Anonymousreply 80May 20, 2021 3:08 PM

It happens. R75. I had to contact and correct the Emmy Organization as they had a couple of errors on their site.

by Anonymousreply 81May 20, 2021 3:21 PM

I hate any episode where Lucy is jealous of Ricky.....it just seems a bit too close to home.

I love most of the episodes mentioned here - so I'll add one more:

Lucy goes amuck on a riding mower and plows down Betty Ramsey's tulips on the day before the flower show.

Her description of what happened is a kind of junior version of the cars stuck together story - and Ethel's reactions in BOTH episodes are great.

"When I looked back, all I saw was a sea of stems!"

by Anonymousreply 82May 20, 2021 3:32 PM

On right now...The Fur Coat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 20, 2021 5:12 PM

My absolute favorite episode is “First Stop,” where they are driving across country and end up spending the night at a run down motel. It was the perfect blend of slapstick and witty repartee. The grifting motel owner was the cherry on top of the cake.

by Anonymousreply 84May 20, 2021 5:21 PM

The second episode today. Desi is now singing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 20, 2021 5:53 PM

As a kid, I would get so bored whenever Ricky's singing performances would come on. They seemed to take hours. Now I enjoy them. He was so good, and he and Lucy magic together. It must have stunned the public when they divorced.

by Anonymousreply 86May 20, 2021 6:26 PM

Lucy and Ethel and the giant loaf of bread is priceless. And the scene where they take a bus tour of Hollywood and Lucy keeps changing seats.

And . . . Lucy and Ethel in Don Loper's salon. When Lucy has to admonish Ethel not to "paw through the racks."

by Anonymousreply 87May 20, 2021 6:34 PM

Anything with Charles Lane, who always seemed to get the best lines:

"Nine girls!"

"I said that was the last eastbound freight. Why there'll be westbound trains coming through all night."

by Anonymousreply 88May 20, 2021 6:54 PM

As a small child I was intrigued with that giant loaf of bread coming out of the oven at Lucy. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 89May 20, 2021 7:00 PM

Am I the first "sufficient?"

by Anonymousreply 90May 20, 2021 8:43 PM

How about the episode where Lucy hides in the closet of the new upstairs neighbors in Ethel's "brownstone bosom" who Lucy mistakenly thinks are Communists, about to blow up the Capitol? And she has to disguise herself as an upholstered chair to escape? Her frantic phone call to fabulous old character actor Allen Jenkins as the police chief is truly priceless.

by Anonymousreply 91May 20, 2021 10:28 PM

That's the New Neighbors episode, r91...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 20, 2021 11:16 PM

Wow, I haven't seen this show since I was a kid in the early 70s. You guys are making me want to go revisit it. I have always remembered a scene where they were in a restaurant and for some reason, Lucy wanted Ricky to stand up (for digestion, she said), and he said it would make the food go into his legs better. And Lucy constantly changing her order.

by Anonymousreply 93May 21, 2021 12:09 AM

Like any classic series, the early years are the best. When the gang went out to Hollywood, it was hilarious, because you could believe Lucy as this star-struck housewife seeing all these movie stars. But later on, it became a star every week, or some awful "show" they put on. The Lucy Show, and especially Here's Lucy, were nothing but star appearances.

One ILL I liked was when Lucy wanted to be in Ricky's show (surprise!) doing a jitterbug number with some hipster. Of course, when time arrives for the big show, her eyes have been dilated and hilarity ensues. But during the rehearsal, she's really good at doing that jitterbug.

I saw that cameo recently, where William Frawley makes his last appearance on "The Lucy Show". Funny, but sad.

by Anonymousreply 94May 21, 2021 2:06 AM

It's hard to choose, but one that I love which people don't talk about so much is the episode with Harpo Marx. Lucy's mirror routine with Harpo is a work of genius.

by Anonymousreply 95May 21, 2021 2:12 AM

Not a dancer, per se, but she moved really well...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 21, 2021 2:22 AM

All of the John Wayne footprints episodes. Especially when she takes a peek when she takes his towel off as she's massaging him.

And: Ethel Mae Potter! We never forgot 'er!

by Anonymousreply 97May 21, 2021 12:06 PM

The odd thing about Lucille Ball is that the brilliant humor of ILL was often based on Lucy's desperation, yet that desperation became the very thing that was so off-putting in later series.

by Anonymousreply 98May 21, 2021 1:25 PM

It's probably been mentioned already- She's stuck on the subway with the cup on her head and Mrs. Kravitz says - I guess someone was a SORE LOSA.

by Anonymousreply 99May 21, 2021 3:09 PM

That episode stopped me from ever going on the subway wearing dungarees, r99.

by Anonymousreply 100May 21, 2021 3:11 PM

R100- Didn't Ethel call them - Blue Jeans

by Anonymousreply 101May 21, 2021 3:12 PM

Vitamitavegamin...hic...

by Anonymousreply 102May 21, 2021 3:20 PM

The first episode today was the one where Lucy and Ethel think the boys have been drafted and Ricky and Fred think the girls are pregnant. The second episode, on right now, is The Adagio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103May 21, 2021 5:53 PM

R99: What's the matter with you? Never seen a beekeeper on the subway before?

by Anonymousreply 104May 21, 2021 6:29 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 21, 2021 6:39 PM

R105- Boy 1957 looks like the Twilight Zone. ALL white people on the subway.

by Anonymousreply 106May 21, 2021 6:43 PM

I forget in which episode it happens, but Ethel's in Lucy's apartment and opens the door to yell for Fred. She bellows, "FRED!!" right in William Frawley's ear as he's coming in. Poor guy kept trying to shake the ringing out of his ears for the rest of the scene. The suddenness of it always strikes me funny even though, when I think about it, it must have hurt.

I also like watching Lucy and Desi trying not to break up for real when Ethel and Fred enter wearing the chandelier on their heads in the episode where the Ricardos are trying to break the lease by being impossibly noisy, causing the chandelier to come down on the Mertz' heads. I guess Lucy and Desi hadn't seen Viv and Bill decked out in the real costume until that moment.

Another hilarious Mertz getup was in the train where Lucy keeps pulling the emergency brake, and Fred and Ethel keep ending up wearing the meal they're trying to eat. The last time she pulls the brake, they have the foresight to dress up in rain gear and appear triumphantly protected.

by Anonymousreply 107May 21, 2021 7:06 PM

R107 again: I forgot to add: I love watching Fred cross that stage carrying ever-larger plants!

by Anonymousreply 108May 21, 2021 7:07 PM

[quote] The last time she pulls the brake, they have the foresight to dress up in rain gear and appear triumphantly protected.

And where exactly did they get the rain gear on a moving train? It's not like they had a gift shop.

by Anonymousreply 109May 21, 2021 7:17 PM

R109, I don't know, maybe - The gear, for rain, stays mainly on the train?

by Anonymousreply 110May 21, 2021 7:32 PM

They had packed for all those rainy days they were expecting in LA.

by Anonymousreply 111May 21, 2021 9:13 PM

The John Wayne cement autograph episode is very funny, it rarely gets a mention, but it has all the classic elements of the best ILL episodes and Wayne is just great in it. It is maybe the best underrated episode, the way the candy-making episode is overrated. I never found it all that funny.

[quote][R105]- Boy 1957 looks like the Twilight Zone. ALL white people on the subway.

If you look there is at least one black background actor when they get off on Bleecker Street! A first for the series.

by Anonymousreply 112May 21, 2021 11:31 PM

I think the candy factory episode is so beloved because we all kind of like the idea of shoving chocolate into our mouths.

by Anonymousreply 113May 22, 2021 1:33 AM

Has anyone mentioned the grape-stomping episode titled Lucy Makes an Italian Movie?

by Anonymousreply 114May 22, 2021 1:36 AM

The chocolate factory episode overrated?? Heresy!

by Anonymousreply 115May 22, 2021 1:28 PM

I don't like the grape stomping as much as so many others.....but I do like to hear Ricky say that Lucy is out "sucking up local collar."

by Anonymousreply 116May 22, 2021 1:35 PM

I start practically every one of my Lucy posts with “as a kid, I” but the show was so much a part of my childhood. Anyway, as a kid I remember hating the Harpo Marx episode. I didn’t understand who he was or get the idea at all. I thought it was just weird.

by Anonymousreply 117May 22, 2021 1:38 PM

R115 Did I misread this as “Hershey” or are you just clever?

by Anonymousreply 118May 22, 2021 1:39 PM

According to Bart Andrews' book, the longest laugh was neither in the candy factory episode, the Vitameatavegamin episode, nor the William Holden episode, but the tango scene in 'Lucy Raises Chickens'.

Which makes sense as it had the longest set-up of just about any gag on the show. The audience is watching Lucy and Ricky tango. knowing what could happen at any second, yet it doesn't happen and doesn't happen, until, bam! it happens.

by Anonymousreply 119May 22, 2021 1:47 PM

I liked the Harpo episode except when he played that fucking harp! It was a boring and unnecessary as when he did it in the movies.....maybe even moreso since they only had 28 minutes or so......

by Anonymousreply 120May 22, 2021 1:49 PM

The cheese episode and the one where Lucy writes an operetta are great and deserve to be better remembered. And the Cornel Wilde episode is genius for the balony scene alone. You don't even hear anything Ricky and Ethel are saying while Lucy is hanging in the background because the audience is laughing so much. That doesn't matter. All the vieweres needed to know was that Lucy was escaping from Cornel Wilde's room and Ethel didn't want Ricky to know about it.

by Anonymousreply 121May 22, 2021 2:14 PM

The writers were always able to go pretty gracefully from reality to an almost science fiction funhouse heightened reality and then back into the real world. Figuring out reasonably logical ways to get her in the trunk, get the loving cup on her head...or what she'd look like on a re-entrance after something awful happened.

by Anonymousreply 122May 22, 2021 2:14 PM

That's a good example of how fearless she could be in her physical comedy, r121.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 22, 2021 2:31 PM

Me too, R108! It's such a simple bit, but effective. It makes me chuckle every time he comes out carrying the ever-growing tree. I've seen it so many times, yet it still works.

by Anonymousreply 124May 22, 2021 2:37 PM

Out of all the Don Loper dresses she ends up with a boring little suit and not one of the gorgeous evening/cocktail gowns.

by Anonymousreply 125May 22, 2021 4:40 PM

She models the wool suit, but doesn't she get the black dress? She'd get much more wear out of that than a gown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 22, 2021 4:46 PM

Loved this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127May 22, 2021 4:54 PM

The funniest part is that Ethel looked pretty smashing. Fred didn't appreciate what he had!

by Anonymousreply 128May 22, 2021 4:58 PM

I thought she looked great too R128.

by Anonymousreply 129May 22, 2021 4:59 PM

Ethel looked best when they moved to the country and she let her hair get floppy.

by Anonymousreply 130May 22, 2021 5:01 PM

My favorite is the one right after the last episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131May 22, 2021 5:10 PM

Ethel's demise...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 22, 2021 5:38 PM

The reason Lucy buys the simple little black dress is because she mistakenly thinks it will be the cheapest item at Don Loper's salon, only to find out it's $500, like so many of the fancier dresses.

"Doesn't that Don Loper know any numbers besides 5 0 0?"

Ethel gasps.

by Anonymousreply 133May 22, 2021 8:53 PM

The baby cheese episode really is one of the most brilliant to me because it's completely driven by the hilarious dialogue and acting of Lucy and Mary Jane Croft. It's not dependent on any physical comedy at all. There's a weird hyper-reality where the ladies play it straight that carries the humor all the way.

by Anonymousreply 134May 22, 2021 8:58 PM

"Cheddar. . . uh Chester."

by Anonymousreply 135May 22, 2021 9:00 PM

"Nice baby....."

Lucy rolls eyes.

by Anonymousreply 136May 22, 2021 9:10 PM

My favorite was "Lucy Tells the Truth."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137May 22, 2021 11:19 PM

Why are some of the episodes left off of HULU? I was rewatching some and the Cornel Wilde episode was not on it.

by Anonymousreply 138May 22, 2021 11:21 PM

The episode of Father Knows Best I'm watching right now guest stars....Mr. Cornel Wilde!

by Anonymousreply 139May 22, 2021 11:24 PM

R49 Here's the Don Loper fashion show scene. Mrs. Forrest Tucker appears composed but we know EVERYONE is thinking the same thing...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 23, 2021 2:44 AM

Mrs. Forrest Tucker was kind of a dog but maybe it was just the haircut. That was a hard one to pull off.

by Anonymousreply 141May 23, 2021 4:41 PM

r141 Next to Mrs. Richard Carlson, Mrs. Tucker was a knockout.

by Anonymousreply 142May 23, 2021 5:00 PM

Richard Carlson...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143May 23, 2021 5:01 PM

I've always been curious how many of those Hollywood wives at the fashion show ended up as exes. All of them?

by Anonymousreply 144May 23, 2021 5:19 PM

Richard Carlson and Hugh Marlowe look too much alike.

by Anonymousreply 145May 23, 2021 6:10 PM

Sheila MacRae ended up as an ex. So did Mrs. Desi Arnaz.

by Anonymousreply 146May 23, 2021 6:39 PM

And Jeanne Martin.

by Anonymousreply 147May 23, 2021 6:42 PM

Mrs. Carlson rightly looks terrified of tumbling down the steps. And I don’t get it, what’s wrong with Mrs. Forrest Tucker?

by Anonymousreply 148May 23, 2021 8:15 PM

She walks funny, r148....

by Anonymousreply 149May 23, 2021 8:18 PM

R148 Daily onslaughts from "The Chief"...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 23, 2021 8:44 PM

[quote]Next to Mrs. Richard Carlson, Mrs. Tucker was a knockout.

Even Loper thinks Mona Carlson was unfortunate-looking. Notice how he rolls his eyes when he announces "the very lovely Mrs. Richard Carlson."

by Anonymousreply 151May 23, 2021 9:49 PM

"Lucy Gets a Paris Gown" is funny, but I also like it because Cher's mom makes an appearance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152May 23, 2021 10:07 PM

He could be a cunt, r151...

A lot of people know he designed for I Love Lucy, and had a couture salon somewhere in Los Angeles, and also designed high end ready to wear. Some even know he was a professional dancer before a designer. And because I tend to get way too personal about these Meet a Designer posts, I will also note that he was something of an arrogant playboy. “God gave me lots of talent–I might as well use it.” And when speaking to a woman he felt was poorly dressed? “If she looks like a frump I say so,” he said. “I’m a real monster. I don’t always mean to be so horrible… but when I say it, it comes out that way.” He was king of the burn. “Honey, you must be kidding with that dress.” “What time does your broom arrive? You look like a witch.” Or my favorite, “I see your mother has been sewing again.” OUCH.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153May 23, 2021 11:06 PM

R150 OHHHHHHHH!

by Anonymousreply 154May 24, 2021 1:15 AM

Yes, r154...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 24, 2021 2:19 AM

That Roz Russell just swore she was so funny....

by Anonymousreply 156May 24, 2021 2:55 AM

For many years I thought Don Loper was a fictional designer. Imagine my surprise!

That's Cher's mother? Georgia Holt is her name, and she's still alive.

by Anonymousreply 157May 24, 2021 8:09 AM

Stealing Bill Holden's feet imprints from Graumin's Chinese Theater.

by Anonymousreply 158May 24, 2021 8:47 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159May 24, 2021 9:12 AM

That article says Lucy "turned tricks" to pay the rent when she was young.

Well I never in all my life!

by Anonymousreply 160May 24, 2021 9:48 AM

You do what you have to do when you're young. You move on, never look back, but become compassionate. Except some people don't do the latter.

by Anonymousreply 161May 24, 2021 9:58 AM

R159 Volume One of a two-part biography by fanfiction writer Darwin Porter.

by Anonymousreply 162May 24, 2021 11:33 AM

Weren't the same charges of of being a hooker in her younger days also leveled at Viv?

by Anonymousreply 163May 24, 2021 11:40 AM

The other wives got to keep a Don Loper dress as compensation for participating in the fashion show, but poor Mrs. Richard Carlson had to settle for a year's supply of kibble.

by Anonymousreply 164May 24, 2021 12:16 PM

I only did that a few time....and then only under EMERGENCY conditions.

by Anonymousreply 165May 24, 2021 2:15 PM

time - times

by Anonymousreply 166May 24, 2021 2:15 PM

First episode today...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167May 24, 2021 5:26 PM

The second episode...The Amateur Hour

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168May 24, 2021 5:48 PM

[quote]Stealing Bill Holden's feet imprints from Graumin's Chinese Theater.

If you mean Grauman's Chinese Theater, I believe you mean John Wayne.

by Anonymousreply 169May 24, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote]Stealing Bill Holden's feet imprints from Graumin's Chinese Theater

Graumin's was down and across the street.

And it is spelled Bill Holdem, like the poker game.

by Anonymousreply 170May 24, 2021 6:42 PM

Me heap sorry me smack 'em on coco, R71.

by Anonymousreply 171May 25, 2021 1:54 PM

Looks like R74 had too many Old Fashions.

by Anonymousreply 172May 25, 2021 1:55 PM

[quote]Looks like [R74] had too many Old Fashions.

Old-FASHIONEDS.

Old Fashions are what you get at the Don Loper SAY-LON.

by Anonymousreply 173May 25, 2021 3:08 PM

The. Check. Is, Good.

by Anonymousreply 174May 25, 2021 5:04 PM

The first episode today...Lucy Plays Cupid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175May 25, 2021 5:17 PM

"I'd like the car keys unless you need them to play a tune."

"How about a couple choruses of 'Cow Cow Boogie'?

by Anonymousreply 176May 25, 2021 5:19 PM

Today's 2nd episode: Lucy Gets Amnesia

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177May 25, 2021 5:40 PM

"Ohhhhh. Mmmmm. Cherry."

by Anonymousreply 178May 25, 2021 6:15 PM

Random question: in the Connecticut episodes, is the door they come and go in the front of the house or the backyard?

by Anonymousreply 179May 25, 2021 6:56 PM

Here is the opening credits for Lucy in Connecticut!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180May 25, 2021 7:04 PM

I didn’t like when they moved to Connecticut. Even though the show probably needed refreshing, I still don’t like change.

by Anonymousreply 181May 25, 2021 7:50 PM

Ethel and Fred always preferred the back yard.

by Anonymousreply 182May 25, 2021 8:33 PM

You’re mashing up two different episodes, R93.

Ricky appreciating the possibility that standing while eating improves digestion (no turns to make) is when they live in the country and are at the local country club. They’re standing because Lucy’s dress is so tight it won’t allow her to sit down. Ricky is shamed into standing with her. The guys all have eyes for the ravishing Barbara Eden.

The one where Lucy keeps changing her mind is when they still live in the city. The frustrated, nearsighted waiter is played by Frank Nelson (Ralph Ramsey in the country episodes - and a slew of other one-off characters) and when he can’t take her bullshit anymore, sticks her with the large waiter’s tray, grabs his coat and hat and bolts.

by Anonymousreply 183May 25, 2021 9:44 PM

[Referring to Dorothea Wolbert]

Lucy: Give her the money.

Ethel: Give her the money?...... Is she coming with us?

by Anonymousreply 184May 25, 2021 9:52 PM

Pork chops sound good, r183.

by Anonymousreply 185May 25, 2021 10:37 PM

Hollandaise sauce......

by Anonymousreply 186May 25, 2021 10:44 PM

When I kiss ‘em, they STAY kissed.

by Anonymousreply 187May 26, 2021 3:45 AM

In the Connecticut episodes, the front door is upstage left and the back door is upstage right. On the same side of the house.

by Anonymousreply 188May 26, 2021 11:35 AM

I love that the Mertzes became their hired hands.

by Anonymousreply 189May 26, 2021 1:02 PM

Those chicks will start laying eggs in six weeks.

by Anonymousreply 190May 26, 2021 1:49 PM

Uh....they told me at the hatchery - it'll be six months.....

by Anonymousreply 191May 26, 2021 1:49 PM

[quote]In the Connecticut episodes, the front door is upstage left and the back door is upstage right. On the same side of the house.

I think the stage right door was more of a secondary or side entry, like from the driveway or a porch. There was another door in the kitchen which is probably the back door. It's they door they would take to get to the guest house where the Mertzes were staying.

by Anonymousreply 192May 26, 2021 2:20 PM

I'm always worried about the chicks getting stepped on in that episode, r190.

by Anonymousreply 193May 26, 2021 2:30 PM

This morning's first episode: Lucy Writes a Play

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194May 26, 2021 5:05 PM

Ah yes, in the habit...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195May 26, 2021 5:38 PM

The second episode today - Breaking the Lease. I forgot how Lucy and Desi can't stop laughing when Fred and Ethel come in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196May 26, 2021 5:58 PM

Breaking the Lease is notable for this performance of El Cumbanchero in which Desi literally rocks the house...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197May 27, 2021 1:00 AM

Lucy literally rocking the house...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198May 27, 2021 1:47 PM

Anyone else annoyed by the loon who keeps posting about which episodes are airing each day?

by Anonymousreply 199May 27, 2021 2:03 PM

You don't find it appropriate in a *What is the best episode of I Love Lucy?* thread, r199? Why do you have a problem with that?

by Anonymousreply 200May 27, 2021 2:10 PM

On right now...Lucy & Madame LeMond

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201May 27, 2021 5:08 PM

[quote]In the Connecticut episodes, the front door is upstage left and the back door is upstage right. On the same side of the house.

Huh? That's not right at all. The front door was perpendicular, basically the stage right wall (audience left), and the other door was against the upstage wall. They were 90 degrees to each other.

If you open the image in a new tab and enlarge it you can see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 28, 2021 3:12 AM

[quote] On right now...Lucy & Madame LeMond

And what are we supposed to do with this information?

by Anonymousreply 203May 28, 2021 2:15 PM

Fine, r203, I'll stop posting. I thought it might generate some more discussion of those specific episodes. You can keep this thread going, posting...well, whatever it is you post.

by Anonymousreply 204May 28, 2021 5:21 PM

I think it's nice to have an update. I also watch I LOVE LUCY every day on Decades, but I'm so old, I know which episode is coming next.

I also recommend Bart Andrews' book Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel - it has an episode guide and lots of fun information (mostly now available on the internet) but fun to have in a book.

by Anonymousreply 205May 29, 2021 3:23 PM

Thank you, r205. I posted this in the Lucille Ball/Casting Couch thread. I hope it doesn't annoy r203.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206May 29, 2021 3:28 PM

Featuring very young versions of Carole Cook (still alive!), Robert Osborne, and Roger Perry. And Bub and Uncle Charley on the same show.

by Anonymousreply 207May 29, 2021 6:10 PM

[quote] I also recommend Bart Andrews' book Lucy & Ricky & Fred & Ethel -

I bought this paperback in the early 80s and loved it. In fact, even though I have discarded most of the books I had at one time kept on my shelves, this is one of the few I have kept. I keep telling myself I am going to read it again but to date I have not, but I won't toss it! It was that good!

by Anonymousreply 208May 29, 2021 6:23 PM

There's a lot of young attractive talent on display in that Desilu Revue at r206 so why didn't any of them have big careers in TV? They must have had every advantage with Lucy and Desi and the Desilu studio backing them up. Well, Carole Cook eventually did pretty well and, obviously, Bob Osborne made a name for himself as a journalist and much later on TCM.

I wonder if the breakup of the Arnaz marriage, only a year later, simply soured Lucy on her mentorship of the these young kids.

by Anonymousreply 209May 29, 2021 10:23 PM

r209 Dick Kallman (gay!) had his own TV series (Hank) for one season, worked semi-regularly, and ended up getting murdered.

by Anonymousreply 210May 29, 2021 10:39 PM

Oh yeah. Kallman did really well.

by Anonymousreply 211May 29, 2021 10:49 PM

I see Majel Barrett here among the young hopefuls, future mistress of Star Trek producer Gene Roddenberry who was cast in the first Star Trek pilot with Jeffrey Hunter.

Lucy as the head of Desilu had a strict "no girlfriends in the cast" rule, and was wary of Barrett, which is strange because she must have known her already from the Desilu Playhouse?

by Anonymousreply 212May 30, 2021 4:59 AM

Behind the Scenes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213May 30, 2021 11:43 PM

This episode is one of the few Lucy Shows that came at all close to matching the physical comedy of ILL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214May 31, 2021 3:56 AM

r214 Are you sure? Because we only copied ILL episodes.

by Anonymousreply 215May 31, 2021 9:41 PM

The Paris dress episode will never not be funny

by Anonymousreply 216May 31, 2021 9:42 PM

R138, I've been wondering the same thing. I started rewatching the show on Hulu and got mad that so many episodes weren't available to stream. They put the show on Paramount Plus and, sure enough, the same thing happened there, too. Why are so many episodes not available to stream? I've noticed the same thing with The Brady Bunch.

by Anonymousreply 217May 31, 2021 11:17 PM

I was watching an old show on some service and about three episodes were missing. I looked them up in the IMDB and they all had to do with "let's put on a performance". So maybe it's song rights that cause some episodes to be unavailable.

by Anonymousreply 218May 31, 2021 11:19 PM

All of these on broadcast tv and streaming services are edited.....a lot of jokes and setups are out.

It's nearly as bad as the colorized episodes on CBS that take out two-three minutes of program.

The only way to see the full I Love Lucy episodes are on DVD - and even some of those are slightly trimmed.

by Anonymousreply 219June 1, 2021 4:46 PM

On right now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220June 1, 2021 5:20 PM

^ "I'm not wearing a bustle."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221June 1, 2021 5:27 PM

[quote] and even some of those are slightly trimmed.

Unlike Ethel's overgrown bush.

by Anonymousreply 222June 1, 2021 6:00 PM

On right now. Desi looking at her ass at 0:53...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223June 2, 2021 5:46 PM

Rewatching old episodes. Two observations:

1. Bill's hand tremors are VERY noticeable

2. Viv was about the same weight as Lucy the first couple of seasons

by Anonymousreply 224June 2, 2021 11:52 PM

[quote] All of these on broadcast tv and streaming services are edited.....a lot of jokes and setups are out.

Why would streaming services use the edited versions? It's not like they have to make room for commercials.

by Anonymousreply 225June 3, 2021 12:52 AM

I always preferred the apartment with the exposed brick over the one with the window. It was much cozier.

by Anonymousreply 226June 3, 2021 3:15 AM

R224 Omg you're so right about the hand tremors. I'm watching a scene where Fred has to write something down and - ay yi yi!

by Anonymousreply 227June 3, 2021 3:56 AM

Tremors or not, Frawley was a much better Fred than Gale Gordon would have been. And Bea Benadaret as Ethel? Heaven forfend!

by Anonymousreply 228June 3, 2021 11:53 AM

My big toe would have been better than Gale Gordon, r228

by Anonymousreply 229June 3, 2021 11:55 AM

I don't know R225.....maybe the only source they have is edited episodes.

It would be great to hear that they ARE NOT edited - if anyone watches on a Streaming Service could let us know.

by Anonymousreply 230June 3, 2021 3:49 PM

On right now...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231June 3, 2021 5:13 PM

R231 That scene is so funny. Waah!

by Anonymousreply 232June 3, 2021 5:31 PM

And it's one of the Barbara Pepper episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233June 3, 2021 5:39 PM

I like the season when the Ricardos move to the country…and the episode where Lucy is in a tulip competition with Betty Ramsey…she tries to mow the lawn with a rider mower and can’t find the kill switch ..ends up on the Boston-Post road..hilarious…she was comedic genius ..

by Anonymousreply 234June 3, 2021 5:50 PM

The second episode today. I had to stop everything and watch...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235June 3, 2021 5:56 PM

The show was so cavalier about domestic violence. It's cringeworthy in 2021

by Anonymousreply 236June 5, 2021 8:21 PM

No, it's 2021 that has become cringe worthy.

by Anonymousreply 237June 5, 2021 8:29 PM

Sure, r237

by Anonymousreply 238June 5, 2021 8:34 PM

Dot's nice, r236...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239June 5, 2021 8:59 PM

Everything from the 1950’s was either overtly homophobic, misogynistic,or racist

Take your pick.

by Anonymousreply 240June 6, 2021 1:44 PM

Misogynistic.

by Anonymousreply 241June 7, 2021 3:19 PM

Even the hula hoop, r240?

by Anonymousreply 242June 7, 2021 4:25 PM

On right now...Lucy's Schedule - dinner scene

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243June 7, 2021 5:24 PM

Second episode today - Ricky Thinks He's Getting Bald

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244June 7, 2021 5:51 PM

Rob thinks he's going bald...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245June 7, 2021 6:00 PM

[quote]Even the hula hoop, [R240]?

Cultural appropriation!

by Anonymousreply 246June 7, 2021 11:10 PM

Today - Ricky Asks For a Raise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247June 8, 2021 5:31 PM

And - Job Switching

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248June 8, 2021 5:34 PM

Anybody see a movie on TCM today with Errol Flynn and Eleanor Parker? There is a scene in it where Flynn and another actor do the Lucy/Harpo Marx scene almost exactly.

by Anonymousreply 249June 8, 2021 8:19 PM

Never say goodbye, r249....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250June 8, 2021 8:28 PM

Also on TCM today (as part of a series of Eleanor Parker films) was "One for the Book," which was originally titled (and was based on the very successful play named) "The Voice of the Turtle." The story is that Vivian Vance was "discovered" by Desi Arnaz when she was playing the role of Olive Lashbrooke in a production of the play in San Diego.

Interestingly, the movie's Olive was Eve Arden, who of course guest-starred on "Lucy" and starred in her own successful series that was filmed at Desilu. And another connection -- K.T. Stevens, who played one of the "Russian spies" (opposite Hayden Rorke) in a "Lucy" episode, co-starred with Vance in "Turtle" in touring productions. Oh--and the male lead in "One for the Book"? Ronald Reagan.

by Anonymousreply 251June 9, 2021 12:52 AM

Voice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252June 9, 2021 12:57 AM

The handcuffs episode is on right now. The twin beds are pushed together with a single headboard. I wonder if they were set up that way for any other episodes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253June 10, 2021 5:19 PM

^^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254June 10, 2021 5:36 PM

The second episode today...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255June 10, 2021 5:42 PM

R255 is one of my faves

by Anonymousreply 256June 10, 2021 5:44 PM

Today: When this old world starts getting me down...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257June 11, 2021 5:21 PM

Second episode: Happy anniversary, Fred and Ethel...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258June 11, 2021 5:34 PM

Yet another vote for "Charm School."

"Yes, let's let her get a load of us!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259June 11, 2021 5:38 PM

I never liked Lucy's look in r259, especially the hair

by Anonymousreply 260June 11, 2021 6:52 PM

Today...Ricky Loses His Voice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261June 14, 2021 6:03 PM

^Another Barbara Pepper appearance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262June 14, 2021 6:05 PM

I love the Women From Mars episode.

It’s a muu-muu!

by Anonymousreply 263June 14, 2021 6:07 PM

[quote] that was bullshit has been debunked by numerous production staff from the show.

Wrong. The script called for the nose to catch on fire and Lucy blows it out. The bit of dunking the nose in the coffee (after the fire is already out) was an adlibbed bit by Lucy.

The story grew over the years to be that the whole catching on fire bit was unplanned, which isn’t true.

by Anonymousreply 264June 14, 2021 6:11 PM

Vitameatavegamin

There are some that are better because they highlight the ensemble but this one shows exactly why Lucille Ball is unmatched when it comes to acting chops and physical comedy. I don't know if I've ever seen another comedian give a performance like this that stays enough reality based so it doesn't come off as just being outright silly.

by Anonymousreply 265June 14, 2021 6:24 PM

The Great Train Robbery

by Anonymousreply 266June 14, 2021 8:50 PM

Who cares what the questions are? I got the answers.

1. What is the term of a U.S. Senator? The sap runs every two years.

2. What is the name of the creature that attaches itself to you and drains you of all your blood? The Director of the Internal Revenue?

3. Why did the French put Marie Antoinette under the sharp blade of the guillotine? To scrape the barnacles off her hull!

"Lucy Gets Ricky On The Radio"

by Anonymousreply 267June 15, 2021 5:04 PM

Today was a sentimental classic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268June 15, 2021 5:49 PM

R251, The Voice of the Turtle was released as The Voice of the Turtle. It was a smash hit play, and they'd have been foolish to release it under a different name.

For some reason, it was retitled "One for the Book" for TV.

by Anonymousreply 269June 15, 2021 11:43 PM

This episode just started. The girls are coming over for Lucy's baby shower. She's opening up packs of cigarettes and placing them around like a good hostess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 270June 17, 2021 5:11 PM

The sculpture episode just ended. Made me laugh...all over again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271June 17, 2021 6:02 PM

Don't think these two have been mentioned. The one where Lucy and Ethel are running for president of their club. Another is the Equal Rights one where the boys leave the girls stranded washing dishes at a restaurant because they cant pay for their meal.

by Anonymousreply 272June 17, 2021 7:42 PM

Today: It's a boy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273June 18, 2021 5:54 PM

And...Lucy vs Miss Felton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274June 18, 2021 5:56 PM

I got wind of it!

by Anonymousreply 275June 19, 2021 1:57 AM

Today - the domestic violence episode

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276June 22, 2021 5:14 PM

And...would it be too much trouble to change my order to pork chops?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277June 22, 2021 5:40 PM

How about the Matchmaking episode? Ricky forbids Lucy, so she goes ahead and tries to hook up two people. Ends up with Lucy and Ethel getting caught in the guys apt wearing negligees (he's a salesman) Fred: Ethel, you here in that. HE must be crazy!!! (after Ricky says the same thing to Lucy, only saying Lucy is crazy).

by Anonymousreply 278June 24, 2021 4:31 PM

Today....in an act of political incorrectness...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279June 24, 2021 5:30 PM

The last episode, because it's the last. I always hated Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 280June 26, 2021 8:47 AM

Today...Lucy makes her own dress and does a home perm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281June 28, 2021 5:29 PM

Today...Challenge dance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282June 30, 2021 5:16 PM

Yesterday I watched the one where Lucy hires a maid, who turns out to be a nasty old cow. It’s one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 283June 30, 2021 5:55 PM

That nasty old cow was the fabulous Verna Felton!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284June 30, 2021 5:59 PM

Verna

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 285June 30, 2021 6:12 PM

That nasty old cow is the fabulous Verna Felton, r283.

by Anonymousreply 286June 30, 2021 9:57 PM

Really, r286?

by Anonymousreply 287June 30, 2021 9:59 PM

Today....but not in color

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288July 8, 2021 5:39 PM

The Operetta

by Anonymousreply 289July 8, 2021 6:06 PM

Today....Charm School!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 290July 9, 2021 5:42 PM

Today....Lucy really would just go for it, wouldn't she?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291July 14, 2021 5:29 PM

We only need 309 more daily updates on what episode of ILL is running before this thread maxes out.

by Anonymousreply 292July 16, 2021 1:19 PM

I'm on it, r292! So glad to be at your service. Today...

...the Italian Cut!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293July 16, 2021 5:07 PM

Ricky Raises His Ass

by Anonymousreply 294July 17, 2021 6:54 AM

And now, it's time for a brief musical interlude...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295July 18, 2021 5:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!