Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Pro-Trump Mentality Explained

Eye-opening and concise thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2021 11:14 PM

OP, your link doesn't lead to a discussion of pro-Trump mentality, but to the guy's twitter feed.

Still, this gem was up: "As long as I live, I'll never understand how almost half the country is unable to see what a raging psychopath the President of the United States is all because they are really, really committed to the idea of taking shit away from poor people and feeling better about being white"

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2021 8:51 PM

The link worked for me, R1, it took me to the top of the thread. Maybe this one will work better?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 8:53 PM

Thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 8:56 PM

Too many Trump threads.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2021 9:05 PM

He's right.

I grew up in a poor, rural white community. When my class graduated HS, several of the girls went to college and a handful of the males did.

The males who stayed behind sat on their asses and demanded high paying jobs come to THEM.

My own brother dropped out of HS thinking he was going to get a high paying job in the next county over but they wouldn't hire him without a GED or HS diploma.

He was enraged and ranted that "n#&&3rs and s91@$" were "taking our jobs". He thought that by virtue of being white and male and straight, he should be able to get any job he wanted, qualifications be damned.

They are ALL like this. That's why you see these dumb cunts still living in mommy's basement or couch surfing instead of working retail or in a restaurant.

Everybody OWES them because they are straight, white males.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2021 9:19 PM

I think this is what the OP meant to post, because this is pretty much IT. Unrealistic expectations, entitlement, and unjustified feelings of superiority, feelings that are easily exploited by dishonest politicians and oligarchs.

I was brought up middle-class white, and even though there's definite entitlement and feelings of superiority among the people I grew up with, the idea was always there that if you wanted something you had to work for it - getting to where you wanted to be required taking the steps to get there. That's missing among the sort of trashy people who fall for Trump, due to a combination of propaganda, outright lies, brain damage due to parental and self-inflicted substance abuse, untreated mental illness and developmental disorders, and flat-out low IQs. They want everything, but don't know how to get it, so they're angry at a world that isn't delivering.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2021 9:33 PM

[quote]They want everything, but don't know how to get it, so they're angry at a world that isn't delivering.

I think you hit the nail on the head with most of what you wrote about MAGAts, except I wouldn't say "they don't know how to get" what they want. I would say rather that they don't have the intelligence and/or talent to get it, and/or they don't want to put in the effort to get it. Yes, they expect everything to come to them naturally.

On a closely related note, as Lyndon B. Johnson famous said, “If you can convince the lowest white man he’s better than the best colored man, he won’t notice you’re picking his pocket.” That certainly goes a long way toward explaining the loyalty of Trump's deplorable followers.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2021 9:43 PM

R6 yeah we all know what humble egos young black men have. Give me a break. Hilarious.

The problem is not with the poor, it’s that we have the poor. Typical American bullshit, blame the symptom rather than the cause. You want to see entitled... spend a day with a trustfund baby, white or black.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote] Too many Trump threads.

Yes, R4, I think all those obsessed with the man will have very EMPTY lives soon.

But I wonder what new obsessions they'll cultivate?

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2021 9:57 PM

I disagree with the source OP quoted. Many, many supporters of Trump are not part of the underemployed lower class. They are solidly middle class. Look at all of the Capitol protestors who have been identified or arrested: doctors, CEOs, insurance agents, a former Olympic swimmer, the son of a judge . . . Their toxic white entitlement is completely inexcusable.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2021 10:10 PM

I copied this (probably from DataLounge) a few years ago

>>>> there's a line from Alex Haley's ROOTS that always stuck with me....slavery had been recently abolished, and in the angry looks of the miserable white folks the narrator states "Being white was all they had left..."that's this guy. this is called Heterosupremacy. what's he angry about? that the people he's been conditioned to hate are not hated by everyone else. that they're coming out, and are happy, and free and living life. He's angry that his hatred is isolating him. Fewer and fewer people will join him in his crusade of hate, and he feels left out

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2021 10:17 PM

So, the next time your editor sends you to Sowfuck, MO to sit in a diner and "try to understand the Trump voters", ask yourself: how useful would it be to talk to kindergarteners about complex national issues? This is it, really. You are welcome. No charge.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2021 10:30 PM

There is nothing about that guy's blabbering that is particularly original (I suspect he's fishing for a book deal or media role). LBJ said it best. LBJ also came from poor white trash, and like this guy knew what he was talking about. He also knew how to be brief.

[quote] "If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2021 10:33 PM

R13 LBJ deserves a thread not this Tweeting idiot

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2021 11:13 PM

I grew up in the "Sowfuck, Missouri" kind of area he's talking about and he's only describing one kind of Trumpster.

The really wealthy relatives, the millionaires, weren't poor white resentful trash at all. My great uncle by marriage was from a poor family in Pakistan and immigrated to the US, then worked his way up into government positions and lobbying roles and he was a die-hard Trumpster. He married into the rich side of my family, they'd been rich for generations, highly educated. They didn't resent anybody, but they were all far right bigots. Those still alive when Trump became president loved him.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2021 11:23 PM

The guy sounds like he doesn't have an ounce of compassion. He complains about kids throwing tantrums and needing validation. It's because they are kids you fucking moron. What he's talking about is the whole snowflake argument. And guess what...both sides use it to try to demean and shame eachother. His analysis is purely subjective and coming from a place of contempt.

And he ignores the fact that anyone who doesn't have to work hard for their money will end up entitled. Think of all the talentless hip hop artists who celebrate ostentatious displays of wealth like "bling", huge mansions, and manufactured women. What everyone wants is simply a fair shot. Complaining about others entitlement is just a tool for division.

The most glairing thing he ignores is that rich white people hate poor white people the most because they remind them of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2021 11:30 PM

R5- It is just my observation, but all of them have mothers who enable that behavior. They excuse them for their apathy, laziness, ect. They blame everyone and everything except their son. That behavior is taught. The women in their life gets blame.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2021 11:37 PM

R16, I think he hinted at the contempt rich white people have for poor whites when he implied poor whites hate everyone except rich white folk. He also raised a good point about the Democrat, white hockey player who said Trump was about white men so he supported him.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2021 11:59 PM

R18 And those poor whites hate them right back. It's amazing how the pundits ignore how Trump's base completely turned their backs on the GOP after this election. The breakup of the GOP is what was needed all along and the base is far better at holding their candidates accountable then the Democratic opposition. In that way, they are more evolved. It's amazing how mainstream pundits will completely ignore this to further stoke racial division in this country mainly as a distraction. What I'd like to see is disenfranchised voters from both parties come together to take down the establishment.

by Anonymousreply 19January 13, 2021 12:14 AM

I don't this Russian/American school-teacher has explained the pro-trump mentality. That its poor white trash throwing tantrums and needing to be praised.

I taught at one of the world's most exclusive prep schools and I taught poor white trash kids who have already been locked into an adulthood in the underclass.

Newsflash, both cohorts contain entitled immature bratty kids who do NOT take a teacher's correction and advice and help and who need to be told over and over that their shit don't stink.

I do agree with the (fictitious?) black gym teacher who says any one of these kids can be loved.

I am sorry to remind people but the world is filled with dysfunctional families in every class who have failed to raise normally socialized kids with the qualities of the good old days. The parents are obviously distracted by other things and the kids are feral and their minds are highly shaped by electronic gadgets and the online world.

by Anonymousreply 20January 13, 2021 1:02 AM

My younger brother is a Trumper, not sure if he supports the events of 1/6/21, but he is a #2 exec in charge of a regional bank and earns $400,000 plus bonus a year. Maybe a bit more actually. Not a white trash guy at all.

by Anonymousreply 21January 13, 2021 1:03 AM

Pro-Trump mentality, not wear masks, "it's my right, my freedom." They don't care how it affects others, it's always about themselves, not the community. In contrast Democrats wear masks,, believe in science, cares about self and the community..

by Anonymousreply 22January 13, 2021 1:09 AM

[quote] I am sorry to remind people but the world is filled with dysfunctional families in every class who have failed to raise normally socialized kids with the qualities of the good old days.

How far does one have to go back to find great kids raised with qualities of the good old days? I'd argue that a lot of those kids raised with qualities from the good old days ended up being some of the worst sociopaths of today.

by Anonymousreply 23January 13, 2021 1:12 AM

Yes, R10 and R15, there are two basic groups of Trump supporter, I'll call them the Gullible Poor and the Sociopathic Prosperous.

I've already dissected the Gullible Poor, and IMHO the Sociopathic Prosperous love Trump because he's one of them, and because they think he'll make their good lives better at the expense of everyone who actually needs help improving their lives. They think they have a place on the gravy train he's openly set up for the wealthy, he makes them feel like part of the elite, the favored class, the ones who get to step on everyone else. Worse, he represents their darker impulses, gives them permission to be openly contemptuous of the poor, of other races, of the sick and vulnerable, he tells them it's perfectly okay to spit on those who can't fight back and openly rob the government and fuck your prettiest daughter, no politician has ever done that because real politicians at least pretend to have a decent side. Trump doesn't even pretend.

by Anonymousreply 24January 13, 2021 1:17 AM

Well done r16. Only took you two paragraphs to get where you wanted to be.

There really are a few different flavors of Trump voters. But it isn’t just about money.

[quote] But they really, really hate people who they think look down on them, i.e. educated types

I have said this before. The rage comes from being looked down upon by traditionally educated people. Usually the people who could intelligently discuss history, politics, the arts, etc. before the internet.

Now they have Fox News and Facebook to give them what they consider to be credibility. It is why they fall for things like pizzagate. They prefer being told they are right over actually being right. Which brings us to:

[quote] Even though they themselves are the ones always looking for someone to snub their noses at. Their recipe for those people is "Stop whining, get yourself together, help yourself." However, their recipe for themselves is "The world must listen to me, take care of me, protect me"

It isn’t just about money. Make no mistake. It is class warfare of a different stripe. And it would not so potent were it not for the built in racism.

by Anonymousreply 25January 13, 2021 1:23 AM

74 million people voted for Trump across 50 states. How many were in agreement with what happened in DC on Jan 6th? Mr. Mud is correct, it's not complicated; it's a simplistic.

by Anonymousreply 26January 13, 2021 1:44 AM

Trump supporters interviewed today

The election was stolen and the crowd that stormed Capitol Hill were Antifa & BLM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 13, 2021 1:50 AM

[quote]The rage comes from being looked down upon by traditionally educated people. Usually the people who could intelligently discuss history, politics, the arts, etc. before the internet.

That explains a lot of it, anyway. It has been pointed out that schoolyard bullying among young kids often has nothing to do with racial differences, religious differences, etc. but turns out to be stupid kids who are doing poorly in school terrorizing smart kids who are getting excellent grades. Since these bullies themselves don't have the intelligence to do well in school, they take a sour grapes attitude toward high achievement, and they come to HATE their intellectual superiors.

by Anonymousreply 28January 13, 2021 4:46 AM

[quote] Well done [R16]. Only took you two paragraphs to get where you wanted to be.

Pointing out that a certain subculture values materialism above all else is not an indictment of an entire race.

[quote] The rage comes from being looked down upon by traditionally educated people. Usually the people who could intelligently discuss history, politics, the arts, etc. before the internet.

That's what I used to believe growing up until I realized that leftists could be just as stupid. The difference is that the latter will never admit it. And the left has been too busy trying to destroy or dismantle all the art made before the 21st century. Academic standards have been slipping.

by Anonymousreply 29January 13, 2021 5:39 AM

The problem they've got trying to blame BLM and antifa for the insurrection is that we have pictures, video, audio and the metadata placing the MAGAts there. I suppose it's all part of the Google-Apple-Amazon conspiracy that they deleted all of the BLM and antifa evidence so that only MAGAts would get the blame. If only they hadn't live-streamed the whole thing!

by Anonymousreply 30January 13, 2021 6:29 AM

[quote] the idea was always there that if you wanted something you had to work for it - getting to where you wanted to be required taking the steps to get there. That's missing among the sort of trashy people who fall for Trump

I think the Internet and social media play into this as well. On social media, you can post something and quickly get dozens of "likes" and "shares." The Internet provides instant gratification and validation. That's why these deplorables spend all their time on Facebook. It's the one place where they can feel loved and rewarded by like-minded people without having to break a sweat. But then, when they don't experience that same instant gratification and validation in the "real" world, they become angry and frustrated. ("Why is it that my Facebook post calling Trump a great patriot got 100 likes, but my local Wal-Mart won't hire me to be a cashier?" ).

by Anonymousreply 31January 13, 2021 6:31 AM

[quote] That's what I used to believe growing up until I realized that leftists could be just as stupid. The difference is that the latter will never admit it. And the left has been too busy trying to destroy or dismantle all the art made before the 21st century. Academic standards have been slipping.

Ummm, ok. I didn’t say anything about right or left, r29. But once again you showed yourself to be quite deft at directing the conversation to one of your pet outrages .

If you had read my post, you have seen that you were just parroting my point about being able to admit when you are wrong. But I was talking about ignorance, not race or that telling infatuation with right and left.

I will just go ahead and call myself a pinko commie so as to give you a landscape you can deal with. And I will gladly admit that I am wrong when you provide a link to back up your assertion about the assault on pre-21st century art.

by Anonymousreply 32January 13, 2021 6:51 AM

I'm assuming that "pre-21st century art" refers to statues of General Lee, the Confederate Flag, and Franklin Mint collectible plates of The Dukes of Hazzard and Roseanne.

by Anonymousreply 33January 13, 2021 7:06 AM

{R29} Nice try. However, many of us can spot a racist trying to hide behind libertarian talking points a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 34January 13, 2021 7:49 AM

And your bothsidesism is tedious in the extreme and more than a little tone-deaf right now.

by Anonymousreply 35January 13, 2021 7:52 AM

In a crazy sense, maybe these left behind whites will embrace victim hood like other races who are really repressed. It's what they like to claim: reverse discrimination. However, anger and violence will not help their cause. Unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 36January 13, 2021 8:19 AM

[quote]But they really, really hate people who they think look down on them, i.e. educated types

Agreed. The sensitivity to even the hint of possibility of a downward gaze can be acute in the extreme. As someone who took the first opportunity to leave a shitty little town in a backwards place, it was everywhere always, reinforced from an early age. Anyone "from away," anyone who left and came back, for an hour, for a weekend, or forever was put to tests of their allegiances, their ties, their absorbency of foreign ideas and fancy ways.

The most mistrustful are sometimes those who grew up with the most, who came from professional, worldly parents educated in other places, exposed to a wider range of people and ideas and possibilities. Those who didn't follow in the footsteps of their parents stayed on, adopting harsh hick accents to mark their turf, perpetually pissed off that being the kid who had everything (and stood to inherit everything), having a flashy car in the high school parking lot, that it all didn't translate into a continuing arc upward through adulthood. To have known a bit about the outside world but to have rejected it even as they live in its shadow cast by their families can foster a more intensified distrust than if the outside world were only second- and third-hand knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 37January 13, 2021 9:45 AM

One thing I've noticed is that there are many different types of MAGA cult members - all in it for various reasons.

by Anonymousreply 38January 13, 2021 9:55 AM

"That's why these _______ spend all their time on Facebook. It's the one place where they can feel loved and rewarded by like-minded people without having to break a sweat. But then, when they don't experience that same instant gratification and validation in the "real" world, they become angry and frustrated. "

Look, you're describing anyone who takes social media too seriously, not just deplorables. Middle-class liberal kids who grow up living for social media popularity all claim to have "anxiety disorders" when it's time to grow up and face the real world, because the real world doesn't deliver a "like" count or offer a "block" option, or allow you to surround yourself with a like-minded echo chamber.

by Anonymousreply 39January 13, 2021 10:43 PM

"The sensitivity to even the hint of possibility of a downward gaze can be acute in the extreme."

So why haven't they spotted Trump's "downward gaze", or that in the eyes of the Republican power players who pander with one hand and take away their job with the other? Or who send them to fight the police at the Capitol, while cowering in their nice safe bunkers?

Effective propaganda disguising the open contempt the right-wing upper class holds for these fools?

by Anonymousreply 40January 13, 2021 10:49 PM

I liked the thread - very insightful - though I think what he describes is one flavor of a Pro Trump person. Another is the Pro Trump, fundy/evangelical, who is so obsessed with pushing their world view & beliefs on others that the support Dump, that they are willing to disregard how amoral Dump because he promotes causes they care about & hates people they hate (gays, uppity women, etc.).

The white guy with a sense of entitlement is fairly easy to understand; Dump tells him that his failures aren't his fault - it's all these other people taking what belongs to YOU. It's the religious The Ends Justify the Means that are just intolerable.

by Anonymousreply 41January 13, 2021 10:58 PM

The religious nutters who worship a tool of Satan are the least explicable, but I think most of them are actually subsets of other groups - the entitled white trash or the well-to-do sociopaths who are using religion as cover.

by Anonymousreply 42January 13, 2021 11:14 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!