Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A tediously accurate model of the solar system

I am used to seeing models of the solar system that place the planets side by side. I knew they were more spaced out than that, but I had NO idea how much so until I scrolled through this page. (Which takes a long, long time.)

For some reason, it's just what I needed today. A break from thinking about the current craziness and a new perspective on how very, very, very small we are in the context of not only the universe, but even our own solar system.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2021 4:51 PM

Wow, how cool!!

I once heard that if Earth were a tennis ball on the street in Manhattan, Jupiter would be in Brazil.

What's also interesting is the entire solar system is flying through space as a unit.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2021 5:19 PM

If Earth were a tennis ball on the street in Manhattan somebody damn well better clean it up before I step on it.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 5:22 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the video, r1. It changes my perspective a lot.

Kind of like the Abell galaxy cluster:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 10:16 PM

Another cool space thing. The surface of Titan, moon of Saturn. Wild.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4January 25, 2021 7:26 PM

Speaking of Titan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 25, 2021 7:27 PM

And this is just an iota of the Laniakea Supercluster which is made of over 100,000 galaxies including the Milky Way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 25, 2021 8:03 PM

Thanks r6!

by Anonymousreply 7January 25, 2021 8:06 PM

Great site OP! Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 8January 25, 2021 9:03 PM

You're welcome r8 :-)

by Anonymousreply 9January 25, 2021 9:20 PM

Very cool. Thanks for posting, OP. I guess our minds can't comprehend just how much of the universe is nothing and we're merely scum at the top (or bottom) of it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2021 11:47 PM

OP this is so neat, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 11January 26, 2021 12:49 AM

What a fantastic site! Cute dialogue notes! I'm going to Ctrl D that thanks OP.

It clearly demonstrates why there are certain to be other species in the universe - it would be impossible for there not to be other life out there - but we are all too far away to ever come in contact with each other.

by Anonymousreply 12January 26, 2021 1:12 AM

And the atheists think all this came about without a Higher Power.

Wow.

by Anonymousreply 13January 26, 2021 3:20 AM

Sound of Saturn's rings, very soothing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 26, 2021 7:15 AM

You ain’t seen nothin’ yet, toots.

by Anonymousreply 15January 26, 2021 7:18 AM

[quote]And the atheists think all this came about without a Higher Power.

And the theists think their Higher Power came about from?

by Anonymousreply 16January 26, 2021 7:32 AM

R16 You tell us. You all are the experts on creation, no? I mean, what created the “Big Bang”?

Don’t mind me and my sandwich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 26, 2021 7:36 AM

[quote] And the atheists think all this came about without a Higher Power.

Once upon a time some people worshipped the Sun as a deity. Today that seems quaint since we understand more of the science of the Sun and our place in the Solar System. It may be premature to jump to conclusions about Higher Powers because the Universe is vast and complex and challenging to completely understand. Just sayin’

by Anonymousreply 18January 26, 2021 8:30 AM

Very nicely done. Captions paced perfectly. Like '2001' without aesthetics, so - spoiler alert - dear little Pluto wasn't a big finish. No matter, worth all that swiping to provoke wonder anew.

by Anonymousreply 19January 26, 2021 11:28 AM

Here is a video about the solar system built in the desert. In case just scrolling isn't enough to picture the scale.

I find it funny how the religious guy use this as a "prove" of the existence of a superior being. If we see the universe is obvios to me we are very irrelevant, probably just and accident if you know just a little of evolutive biology. Hardly "in the image and likeness of god"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 26, 2021 12:15 PM

those boys are cute

by Anonymousreply 21January 26, 2021 12:45 PM

I guess I prefer to let people draw their own conclusions about the scale of the universe and what it means, r20. I suppose I am a phenomenologist in that regard

by Anonymousreply 22January 26, 2021 3:49 PM

R22 You go, op. Insecure atheists - not all of them are insecure, mind you - seem to cling to religion as a basis for their arguments more than anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 23January 26, 2021 4:08 PM

[quote] And the atheists think all this came about without a Higher Power.

I am more of an agnostic than an atheist, but why don't you climb down from your high horse. Excuse me if I don't want to follow a religion created by people who thought the Earth was flat, that the Sun rotated around the Earth and they didn't even know there was a whole western hemisphere of Earth. They thought you should force your daughter to marry a man who raped her and that thought that mixing cotton and wool made you unclean.

by Anonymousreply 24January 26, 2021 4:19 PM

Thank you, r24.

Theists constantly accuse atheists of being "intolerant," but there's NOTHING as intolerant as a cultist defending their cult-like beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 25January 26, 2021 4:24 PM

Related: There's a scale model of the solar system in Sweden. The Sun is the dome-shaped, 110m diameter Ericsson Globe in Stockholm; Mercury is a 25cm ball placed about 3km away; Earth is 65cm across and about 7.5km away; Neptune is 229km away and 2.5m across. And so on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 26, 2021 4:27 PM

Thanks, r26!

I hope this thread doesn't devolve into some weird religious debate. Obviously, that's not what I intended ...

by Anonymousreply 27January 26, 2021 4:28 PM

Too late, r27. Religionists just can't help themselves - see r13, who started the god shit.

by Anonymousreply 28January 26, 2021 4:31 PM

The only thing all theists have in common is that they all accept the proposition that at least one god of some sort exists - nothing more, nothing less.

Save your bullshit for DA BIG BANGZ.

by Anonymousreply 29January 26, 2021 4:33 PM

And again, r28. So what? Let it go. People look at the world and draw different conclusions.

Back to the matter at hand, the ever-impressive Hubble Ultra-Deep Field.

For perspective, each galaxy has an average of 100,000,000 stars. Assuming that each star has at least one planet, every galaxy you see here contains at least 100,000,000 planets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 26, 2021 4:39 PM

Excuse me, r30, but as an atheist I am beyond sick and tired of being urged to "turn the other cheek" whenever my worldview is directly attacked, as r13 did (who then doubled down on his/her attacks, as religionists always do whenever they're unsuccessful at shoving their faith down other people's throats).

I'll accept theists when they start accepting atheists.

Neither will ever happen.

by Anonymousreply 31January 26, 2021 4:42 PM

Give it a rest, 31

by Anonymousreply 32January 26, 2021 4:45 PM

^ r31

by Anonymousreply 33January 26, 2021 4:45 PM

Some people really think and believe that in order to believe in a higher, all-encompassing power, you must be religious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 26, 2021 4:46 PM

What's the name of the law that if you post one intelligent on the internet it will draw down an infinite number of stupid posts?

by Anonymousreply 35January 26, 2021 4:46 PM

I love that the Sweden Solar System includes several non-planets, including the planetoid Saltis - a 1mm object placed 11km from the "Sun." Obviously such objects are way too small to be included in the "tediously accurate model" posted by OP - as the site itself admits, since the smallest object that can be portrayed is ~3500km across.

by Anonymousreply 36January 26, 2021 4:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!