Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How do I go about breaking up with one of my Realtors?

I've been working with 2 different Realtors who have expertise in 2 different markets. Both have been extremely helpful and responsive, but I think I might be close to purchasing a home shown by Realtor A...which means I need to find a way to tell Realtor B I would like to put things on pause.

How should I go about it? If things fall through with a the place I'm interested in, I might still require Realtor B's services...so I don't completely want to burn that bridge.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2021 7:18 PM

OP, here’s a story. When I hired my first team of realtors, I even talked to them about getting out of the contract if we decided it wasn’t a good fit. Guess what? I had ZERO showings and they wouldn’t let me out of my contract. Proceed with caution, you are now in a contract with them and if they don’t want to let you out, it’s much harder than just telling them you want out if they disagree.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2021 2:14 PM

Oh, you stupid bitch! You in danger gurl!

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 2:16 PM

OP didn’t mention a contract...aren’t they the buyer? If so, I just think this is a matter of courtesy, right? Or am I missing something?

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 2:19 PM

I'm a buyer and I only signed an agreement to voluntarily work with her...which said I was not obligated to buy a home she showed me.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2021 2:22 PM

If you're not under contract, send your realtor a thank you note and a bottle of wine and thank him for his service.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2021 2:22 PM

Are your realtors both aware that you're working with two different realtors? Did neither of them require that you sign an Exclusive Buyer Agency agreement with them?

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2021 2:22 PM

I think the law is different in different places. Buying a house that they showed you without paying them is definitely off the table perhaps?

But this is the ridiculousness of the industry. Realtor B will be out all the time and effort they put into helping you. The payoff for them is the outrageous cut they will take from the purchase. It seems like it would be better if the whole process was fee based.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2021 2:24 PM

R7 thankfully commissioned Realtors will be a thing of the past in the next 5 years

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2021 2:27 PM

I don't disagree, R7. Between gas wasted driving from place to place, and adminstrative work (paperwork preparation, phone calls), I feel guilty to pull out without compensating the Realtor I no longer plan to work with.

Also, as much as people criticize Realtors, I couldn't see buying a house without one...at least as a first-timer.

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2021 2:45 PM

Wow, OP. You think you’re all that, don’t you.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2021 2:53 PM

Yes, R10, I do. Guess I'll just give the Realtor I don't work with a signed headshot.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2021 2:55 PM

OP I am realtor. Just tell them you've decided to work with someone else. Its not that big of a deal.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2021 2:55 PM

I'm just not that into you?

Then present hole one last time to show him what he'll be missing.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2021 2:56 PM

I’ve been hearing that for over 10 years r8.

I am not saying you are wrong. Good ideas are not always the easiest to implement. Especially if somebody is making money the old way.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2021 3:07 PM

I usually have sex with them. They go away after that, like all guys.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2021 3:16 PM

OP—That’s why they get paid so much when they do close a deal.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2021 3:55 PM

R15 - I agree. Blow him. Read if he's a top or bottom and give him what he NEEDS.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2021 4:40 PM

OP is a piece of shit for wasting Realtor B’s time. However, Realtor B is an idiot for not making you sign an agreement. When I was working as a buyer’s agent, if you refused to sign one after the first showing, then there wouldn’t be a second one.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2021 4:46 PM

OP is a double-dipping whore!

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2021 4:48 PM

If there's no contract I don't know what you're worried about. It happens to realtors all the time. And they know that you might work with them again(though they might not put the effort in they once did. Send them that bottle of wine.) and you might recommend them to other people.

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2021 4:56 PM

Yesterday, I saw a condo town house I liked on Realtor.com. Since I live was so close to the listing, I went over to look at it one my own. A neighbor came out to tell me that the unit had just been rebuilt, as a giant oak tree had fallen on it during a storm last summer.

There is absolutely no mention of this on the Realtor.com listing. Shouldn't a listing that has sustained serious structural damage refer to that fact in the listing?

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2021 4:59 PM

My realtor fucked up my mortgage and I lost an opportunity to buy a nice home; it also cost me $1000USD which I didn’t get back. When I told him that I wanted to find another agent, he gave me the yada yada yada about the contract; I simply called the head of their regional office and told them what had happened. I didn’t get my money back, but I was able to void my contract and find another agent who was on top of everything. I have lived in my current home for eight years. Everyone has a different experience.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2021 5:06 PM

You have to pay someone to find you a home?

How bizarre America is!

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2021 5:16 PM

Do real estate agents work for free in your country, R23?

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2021 5:21 PM

For the amount of work they do, R24, they should work for free.

In October of 2019, I sold my place. It sold the first day it was on the market. Bitch pocketed 6K for not doing a god damned thing.

Next time, I'll sell it myself.

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2021 5:26 PM

Where I live which is a very small hot town outside Manhattan a woman sold her home she lived in for many years and was not going giving any grifting agent a fee so she sold it on her own. The man she sold it to flipped it and sold it for an extra half a million. And this is one of those people who shoots off her mouth like she knows everything.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2021 7:18 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!