Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The tides of life against the shores of your soul.

[italic] “There is something profound happening between the ocean and the shore. This meticulous and constant filling and emptying resembles the rhythm of one’s individual life.[/italic]

[italic]When depression takes you over, it is as if the tide of your joy, your sense of life has withdrawn and will never return. At such a time you are marooned on a vacant shore, even the most simple gesture has to be deliberately achieved. The natural flow of spontaneity has ceased. In such times it is important to remember that the tide has merely gone out and with the certitude of the ocean rhythm, it will definitely return again and restore your old buoyancy.[/italic]

- John O’Donohue, [bold]Four Elements: Reflections on Nature[/bold]

The thread title is mine. The quote is something I randomly opened to after feeling compelled to pull the aforementioned book from my shelf. Just wanted to share.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 8:20 AM

I hope that is true. That used to be true for me. The tide would always return. But my tide has been out for a long time this time.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2021 6:40 AM

R1 What’s going on? Why do you feel that way?

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 7:15 AM

Your heart is like a great river after a long spell of rain, spilling over its banks.

All signposts that once stood on the ground are gone, inundated and carried away by that rush of water.

And still the rain beats down on the surface of the river.

Every time you see a flood like that on the news you tell yourself: That’s it. That’s my heart.”

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 8:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!