Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How much of a role did Covid play in America's meltdown?

Not Covid itself - but the change to our way of life - quarantines, sheltering in place, lack of normal entertainment options, lack of travel options, etc. Plus, obviously, the affect on the economy and the general sense of insecurity for many.

Granted, the Capitol Riot crowd was growing anyway before Covid, but did months with little to do but spend time online and fears about finances (for some) drive it over the edge? "An idle mind is a devil's workshop" is true to some extent.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2021 4:47 AM

COVID was the seasoning that made this specific stew. Consider all the T&E people permanently laid off, all the staying at home, Working/Schooling online, etc. That made a partially expense paid trip to Washington an outing for many.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2021 3:05 AM

[quote] T&E people

Travel and Expense People.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 3:10 AM

The quote Stanley Kowalski, "we had this date from the beginning."

Don't blame Covid for those people losing their minds. There was no other way for it go. But do blame the people who enabled them the last 5 years. Making jokes about their racist uncles, tolerating the crazy, and complaining about spending the holidays with their Trumper family members, but doing it anyway to "keep the peace."

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 3:10 AM

this is sad, but COVID made me realize I had ZERO personal life.

I live in LA, work in the biz and have an extremely FUN job. 6 Hollywood events a month -- sometimes double that in the summer or during awards season.

That all came to a screeching halt because of COVID. A few zoom events. I get some swag stuff in the mail. But...ALONE.

Lost a parent during this. And a dear friend to suicide two years ago. No family. All back east and we're not close.

I. Am. ALONE.

When COVID's over, I'll change that.

I owe it to myself to try, at least.

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2021 3:16 AM

r4 I am very sorry for your loses. I hope your mental health remains steady. But I am very very sorry.

If you'd like to lighten the mood you can send us a piece of juicy gossip. Just a treat and please let it be gay.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2021 3:19 AM

Good for you for making those changes if you feel they're necessary, R4.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Many people aren't close to family; many people have consuming jobs they enjoy that also serves a social purpose.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2021 3:23 AM

The people who committed this don't give two shits about covid or staying indoors.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2021 3:23 AM

r2 - Sorry T&E, in this context, is the Travel and Entertainment sector. I should have written it out.

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2021 3:27 AM

[quote] The people who committed this don't give two shits about covid or staying indoors.

The people of Wuhan?

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2021 3:43 AM

I think the truth is that a lot of people who voted for Trump had a lot of the problems for a long time that the rest of America has only experienced since Covid. They had had massive job insecurity, or flat-out unemployment, for years, and with it the loss of direction and self-esteem that means. They had poor health because they had no insurance, and poor mental health because of all these factors. A lot of them were probably lonely because they're poor at relating to people and they had no jobs to get their social life started around.

But unlike the rest of the country, they can't be assured that things will improve when Covid is over.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2021 4:21 AM

[quote] they can't be assured that things will improve

But Kamala and Joe will be looking out for us all!

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2021 4:36 AM

I think it definitely played a role in the riots over the summer. A lot of those young adults were unemployed or underemployed. There are still daily protests in my city, and all of the protest leaders (which may very well be all the protesters who show up every day) live off e-begging.

I don't know if it contributed to the Capitol riot, but something else I've noticed since lockdown started is how plain mean people are, and not just online. Many people in my neighborhood are unnecessarily hostile when they wouldn't have been a year ago. Whatever the reason, I think that's also played a role in all of the unrest over the past several months.

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2021 4:40 AM

No doubt they preferred Trump's instructions in May, which were to get out in the sun and fresh air and ignore it. He already saw mail-in voting was going to be a threat to his re-election, and quickly appointed Repug operative DeJoy to destroy the USPS.

Then Covid took-off like wildfire.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2021 4:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!