Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm On The COVID Vaccine Waiting List

Called a locally owned pharmacy today based on something I overheard at the market this morning and they told me I could get the vaccine if I was a health care worker or over 65. I'm 67. They put my name on a list and said they're expecting a new shipment of the vaccine in this week. So fingers crossed, I'll get the puncture soon.

Just to show how disorganized the whole government run operation is, I checked the new COVID vaccine availability database they just put on line today to tell you where the vaccine is available in every county in the country. There was only one place listed. I called them and was told unless I had underlying health issues I would have to wait until the governor gave the okay to start inoculating my age group. The woman I spoke to at 9am said she would check to see if there was anywhere else I could get the vaccine and that "I will call you back within an hour". It's now 8:30 PM and I haven't heard from her yet. Longest hour in the history of mankind.

I just hope the lady at the pharmacy wasn't handing me a bunch of BS too. We'll see.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2021 10:31 AM

Well my bf and I both spent several hours online and on hold trying to secure a vax appointment for his 94 year old mom who became eligible today as part of Cuomo’s 1B group in NY. The problem is no one has the vaccine. None of the places we tried to call that were listed on the state’s website are scheduling appointments until they have the vaccine on hand.

There is one large facility administrating the vaccine but a.) they are booked through March and b.) they don’t want seniors there because it is crowded and not easy to navigate.

I guess we’ll try again tomorrow and every day until we get something.

by Anonymousreply 1January 12, 2021 1:05 AM

Be sure you also get the follow-up booster shot.

by Anonymousreply 2January 12, 2021 1:19 AM

The more I think about it the less confident I am that I'll even get a call if they get the shipment in this week, or that they even get a shipment in. Everybody involved seems like they're working by the seat of their pants and have little idea what's really going on.

I knew something was fishy with the first place I called and their message system told me to call a number that is in a state over 1000 miles away to discuss a local concern's vaccine situation.

by Anonymousreply 3January 12, 2021 1:29 AM

Well, our county is letting people register online .

There’s like an 80,000 people waiting list so far. 😑

by Anonymousreply 4January 12, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote]they don’t want seniors there because it is crowded and not easy to navigate.

Delivering this kind of stuff to seniors first is inevitably going to slow the whole thing down. Just getting to the appointment is a huge hurdle for most of them. If they can't go online they are going to have to wait hours on hold to schedule it.

If I was over 65, relatively healthy, and not working, I'd just stay at home for a couple more months until the kinks get worked out. I think that's what the government is going to end up telling people very soon so they can get things moving.

by Anonymousreply 5January 12, 2021 3:55 AM

I’m in Brooklyn. My 81 year old mother signed up Sunday and is getting the first dose tomorrow in Bushwick.

by Anonymousreply 6January 12, 2021 4:01 AM

R5, I think where I live they want everyone but the seniors to go to the big central place and have seniors go to their doctor’s office or pharmacy but none of them have started to receive or administer doses yet. It’s a shit show and is going to take a while.

by Anonymousreply 7January 12, 2021 4:07 AM

Wow OP... you’re old!

by Anonymousreply 8January 12, 2021 4:10 AM

I registered in NJ last week (1/6) and on the list. No risk factors or groups except middle-aged (51). I will see how long it takes...

by Anonymousreply 9January 12, 2021 4:15 AM

What state are you in OP? In NY the over 75s not in nursing homes just got cleared to start signing up this week. 74s - 65s are in the next wave, probably next month or so.

by Anonymousreply 10January 12, 2021 4:33 AM

R1, heard Cuomo say last night he has 8M eligible people and only 1M doses. It’s fucking despicable. But it also begs the question, why is he opening it up to more groups if he’s that short on doses? Has every healthcare provider gotten it? I don’t think so.

by Anonymousreply 11January 12, 2021 8:38 AM

[quote] I'm 67.

Oh, OP, why even bother? You were dead to us 30 years ago!

(Of course I’m kidding and I hope you get it soon.)

by Anonymousreply 12January 12, 2021 8:39 AM

[quote] Wow OP... you’re old!

Yes, and proud of it.

R10 I'm in Georgia. The number I was was referred to by the first locally owned health care concern is a 516 area code. That's New York. And that is the only place the national COVID vaccine locater web site lists for this county, when clearly there are others. I've since heard that the local Walgreens will be administering the vaccine. I'm going to call them today to see what their situation is.

by Anonymousreply 13January 12, 2021 9:48 AM

UK here. I got my 92 year old dad's vaccination invite letter today. He has diabetes and dementia. The vaccination centre in the letter is 30 miles away, but our local centre is a short walk, and the doctor's surgery has assigned him an appointment there this week. The local centre has vaccinated 890 patients since opening last Friday.

I think we've got the Astra Zenica vaccine here.

by Anonymousreply 14January 12, 2021 10:07 AM

I’m an education worker in NYC and have an appointment for a shot on Saturday. My 75 year old friend was contacted by their doctor and has dates for shot one and two, so far The handful of people I’ve checked with all have appointments fairly soon, Looks like lots of new places to get the shots including many schools,

So fat so good. The only problem is that making the appointment online takes time and is a little complicated. I don’t know how seniors who have tech challenges can do it. They will need to be contacted another way.

by Anonymousreply 15January 12, 2021 10:21 AM

[quote] The number I was was referred to by the first locally owned health care concern is a 516 area code. That's New York.

If you come up here for your shot you’ll have a place to stay.

by Anonymousreply 16January 12, 2021 11:28 AM

Aww, aren't you kind R16. I think the New York group I spoke with are just some call center. I could hear lots of other people talking in the same room with the lady I was speaking with. That "I'll call you back within an hour" is now 24 hours with no response. LOL Live and learn.

by Anonymousreply 17January 12, 2021 1:01 PM

I'm # 71,170 as of last week.

by Anonymousreply 18January 12, 2021 1:45 PM

R16 that's very kind of you! You slowly restore my faith in humanity!

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2021 2:04 PM

Don’t think it’s all out of kindness, r19.

After all, just between us, I didn’t tell him I’d be copping a feel or two.

(Why is everyone looking at me like that? This quarantine has been long!)

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2021 2:12 PM

LOL @R20! A sense of humor as well!

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2021 2:25 PM

I have read Virginia's plan. I would assume most states are similar. Once the vaccine becomes available to the general public the idea is to hand off the responsibility to your Primary Care Physician. Virginia has also set aside money to open Covid vaccine only clinics. My mother is 80 and has the Diabeetus and kidney disease. She was told about three weeks ago that the vaccine will be administered thru the dialysis center. When, who knows. I am 58 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis. There is not a lot of information on how Covid effects RA patients. but "they" highly recommend patient get as soon as they can.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2021 3:05 PM

Op in two months

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2021 3:27 PM

[quote] My mother is 80 and has the Diabeetus

Another reason I hate beets! LOL I'm sorry, but it just had to be done.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2021 3:33 PM

[quote] I didn’t tell him I’d be copping a feel or two.

If you did they'd arrest you for senior citizen molestation. LOL

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2021 3:35 PM

[quote] There is not a lot of information on how Covid effects RA patients.

I see that as a good thing. If it’s not a blatantly obvious issue that’s as bad as, say asthma, which everyone knows is an issue, then it can’t have that serious of a deleterious effect.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2021 3:43 PM

I received a call from one of the 3 places I had my name on a waiting list and I'm scheduled to be vaccinated next Tuesday at 1pm. I'm feeling a lot less anxious now.

by Anonymousreply 27February 2, 2021 5:58 PM

My state has been allowing anyone to sign up, so even though I'm not over 65, I was able to get my first shot and schedule my second one as well. It was an easy, painless process. The only side effect was a really tender arm for two days after, but that's it. Several people in my family have gotten it, too. It's definitely allowed me to breathe a little better.

by Anonymousreply 28February 2, 2021 6:03 PM

My 91 year old dad gets vaccinated at his home on Friday in the UK. Free on the NHS.

by Anonymousreply 29February 2, 2021 6:03 PM

Today's the day! I'm hoping I have the same results as 2 of my best friends had last week. They said there were absolutely no side effects and there was never any residual pain at the puncture site. They got the Phizer vaccine and I'm getting the Moderna.

by Anonymousreply 30February 9, 2021 12:57 PM

That was me at R30. Damned old arthritic fingers.

by Anonymousreply 31February 9, 2021 12:58 PM

It's pointless now with the south African strain making the vaccines only 10% effective.

by Anonymousreply 32February 9, 2021 1:09 PM

That's not true at all R32.

by Anonymousreply 33February 9, 2021 1:37 PM

not possible in my state yet

by Anonymousreply 34February 9, 2021 1:44 PM

Good luck OP!

by Anonymousreply 35February 9, 2021 1:47 PM

I can't get over how dumb r32's statement is Please get vaccinated as soon as you are able. Even your dumb ass r32.

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2021 1:48 PM

You fools, we are going to be stuck with this virus forever, the south African mutation proves that,

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2021 1:56 PM

Yes, COVID is here to stay, just like the various flu strains. And we'll need to be vaccinated against it every year, just like the flu. Everyone pretty much knows that. But that is no reason not to get vaccinated.

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2021 2:06 PM

I just had my vaccination today. I’m in a high risk group (thanks cancer, you fucker). Whoever says the vaccination is pointless given it’s only 10% effective against the SA variation is a fool. It gives up to 90% protraction against other strains and even if you do get covid, it will likely only be very mild and won’t develop complications (touch wood). I heard there’s also some data emerging that the vaccine helps stop spread, too. The vaccine companies are already preparing updates to tackle the variations, as they do with the new flu strains each year.

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2021 2:16 PM

What's the point if it's only 10% effective? I'm not going to be the governments pin-cushion for 10%, might as well open everything up right now and act like normal if it's only 10%.

by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2021 2:18 PM

OP, can you share that link?

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2021 3:49 PM

I’m 65 & I’m not going nuts looking for a vaccine. When I lived in NYC & I learned not to run for a bus. It’s [italic] never [/italic] worth the energy expenditure. I’m just calmly & quietly waiting for the next bus to roll up in front of me, which will be when one of my drs notifies me they have vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2021 4:39 PM

They called me around 11am and told me if I wanted to come on then (instead of the 1pm appointment) I could, so I hit the road (it was a 30 mile drive). Got there (the vaccination center was in the social hall of a church) and I was the only person there to get vaccinated. I told them I was shocked as I assumed it would be packed. She said they'd had lots more people early this morning. I was vaccinated within 3 minutes of arriving and was asked to sit for 15 minutes before leaving. I asked the nurse if they had seen many people have side effects in the 15 minutes and she said so far not a one. But she did say they had noticed that the 2nd vaccination seemed to cause more side effects than the first especially in young people. Strangely enough it is older people who seem to be handling the 2nd shot much better. I was told this vaccination would provide 75-80% protection until the 2nd vaccination which will increase the protection to 95%, but that if I should contract the virus between now and my 2nd shot this one should keep me out of the hospital. My appointment for the second puncture is at the same location on Mar. 9.

I asked them about the new strains and was told that the Moderna vaccine works on 2 of the 3 new strains and that Moderna is working on a booster vaccine for the South African strain, which will require a 3rd vaccination once it's available which probably won't be by the time I go back in 28 days.

I feel considerably more at ease now.

by Anonymousreply 43February 9, 2021 7:08 PM

[quote]Whoever says the vaccination is pointless given it’s only 10% effective against the SA variation is a fool.

Doubly a fool, since the 10% claim has no basis in fact.

by Anonymousreply 44February 9, 2021 7:11 PM

[quote] OP, can you share that link?

Here you go. Keep in mind I found that the list of available sites (at least for me) was not complete. They didn't even list 2 of the sites in my area that I was put on the waiting list when I initially searched. Hopefully it's more complete now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 9, 2021 7:12 PM

One side effect has surfaced, and how. By late last night the injection site started to throb a bit, but only when I touched it. By this morning there's a knot under the skin and the pain is constant, but increases when I move that arm. The pain isn't enough to prevent me from carrying on with my daily routine, but it's definitely noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 46February 10, 2021 10:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!