Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

17 GOP Senators Needed To Impeach Trump

So far only one - Ben Sasse - is considering it

Every single other GOP Senator don't seem interested voting in favor of this

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2021 1:52 PM

Romney and Murkowski are probably in. 14 more.

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2021 10:45 PM

Murkowski and Romney and Toomey and Thune I bet

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2021 10:46 PM

Collins?

by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2021 10:48 PM

she's typing up her statement of concern

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2021 10:50 PM

OP the Senate does not impeach. They conduct the trial against the impeached POTUS.

If an impeachment vote is taken in the House tomorrow you can bet your last dollar that Trump WILL be impeached a second time.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2021 10:51 PM

Miss Lindsey is out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2021 10:52 PM

The Senatrice is out?

She left the closet?

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2021 10:53 PM

of course, Miss Linda is out, he wouldn't want those tapes released.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2021 10:53 PM

Fucking Miss Lindsey's opinions are worth about as much as dog shit or Ted Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2021 10:53 PM

unfortunately, unless there's another insurrection-like event w/more deaths, Senate aint gonna convict

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2021 10:56 PM

I will make me very happy to have Trump impeached a second time by the House.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2021 10:59 PM

/*It

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2021 11:00 PM

By not supporting a prescriptive measure of any kind to the primary source of this uprising, Graham is effectively nullifying his previous statement, and saying he supports violent insurrection, and the threatening of lives of his fellow Senators, the VP, and police officers.

It is as simple as that.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2021 11:00 PM

I think they would convict only if it was discovered that his involvement runs much deeper.. Bribes, blackmail, political pressure etc etc

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2021 11:03 PM

R7 - I mean read the comments. I think just about every living human being knows he is gay, even the Republicans defending him. He could have had a far better career in his party and his state if he married a woman, but c'mon, it would be like Boy George marrying a woman at this point. But that shows you what hypocrites Repukes really are. Their party supposedly stands against gay men, but when a gay man does their bidding...they throw their "principles" to the wind.

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2021 11:13 PM

R9 - not really. Ted Cruz is disgusting and just about nobody likes him, he knows he doesn't have much to lose. Lindsey on the other hand really fits the bill of an old boy who is white, conservative, and he is smart enough to understand that, once he already said "count me out", he now needs to repair his good Republican standing. Say whatever you will about the Senatrice, but one thing she ain't is stupid. But I always know that when we put our minds to it, we are usually a bit smarter than the straights.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2021 11:16 PM

[quote]In light of President Trump’s Thursday statement pledging an orderly transfer power and calling for healing in our nation, a second impeachment will do far more harm than good.

What's that, Miz Lindz? The statement he made that he's already retracted? My but you are a trusting soul.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2021 11:30 PM

He never fails to disappoint. Weasel.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2021 11:35 PM

It's unlikely they'll get that many senators. Therefore, the critical part of this is to get as many of them on record as possible NOT to vote for impeachment, so that they have to go back home and get hammered for their vote.

A few more Senate seats during the last two years of Biden's first term would be useful.

by Anonymousreply 19January 12, 2021 12:07 AM

r19 Senators do not vote for impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 20January 12, 2021 1:32 AM

They should've impeached Trump on a monthly basis beginning in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 21January 12, 2021 1:32 AM

Based on the actions of last week, I don’t think the people who’d be upset at Trump’s impeachment are interested in unity.

by Anonymousreply 22January 12, 2021 7:36 AM

Actually, unlike before Lindsey doesn't say he 100% won't vote for conviction. He just says it's a bad idea and ask for forgiveness but stop short stating of how he will vote. They already have at least 6 GOP senators who will likely vote yes. 11 more to go and it could theoretically happen.

by Anonymousreply 23January 12, 2021 7:41 AM

At this point just take all the Republican male senators, hold their wives or daughters down (or in Lindsey’s case, himself), and let the Trump males take turns. They still wouldn’t do shit.

by Anonymousreply 24January 12, 2021 7:45 AM

R16 -- Miss Lindz is a weather vane and a snake. Who did more (other than McTurtle) to enable DUMP for the last four years, after saying in the primaries that he was an absolute disaster and unacceptable?

I'd like to toss McTurtle in a pot and make soup out of him. That coward hasn't said a word. And the Capitol Insurrection is directly traceable to his temporizing and 'humoring' DUMP's attacks on democracy after the election in an effort to keep his Senate majority, which he lost anyway. Great leadership. He's a cowardly cur and and if he had one shred of integrity he would step down.

by Anonymousreply 25January 12, 2021 10:49 AM

They’ll chicken out.

by Anonymousreply 26January 12, 2021 10:51 AM

It's been said elsewhere here that the requirement is two-thirds of senators present for the vote, not of the entire Senate. If so, potentially some Rep Senators could just stay away for the vote, and it would work, so long as it was quorate.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2021 11:02 AM

Almost every day, some new story comes about Dump's complicity in this event. Maybe the likelihood of impeachment isn't that great at this moment, but this is a story of a lifetime for media outlets who have been shit all over by this administration for the past 4 years. By the time it gets to a vote, who knows what other stories will be out there, making it impossible to look the other way. Unlike those retarded congressmen, Senators have to appeal to the masses, not just one district of freaks & meth addicts

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2021 11:37 AM

House impeaches. Get the senators votes on paper. Use just the one charge - sedition.

In a month or two when there is more info, impeach him again. For example vote tampering. Then get the senate on record again.

Finally, they should vote to label all contributors to the coup d'etat as seditionists. The congress can then legally expel any congressperson with a provable link to the coup d'etat. Forget Trump at that future date - just punish congress cretins.

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2021 12:15 PM

[quote] In a month or two when there is more info, impeach him again.

He can't be impeached when out of office.

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2021 12:18 PM

Trump has shit on all of them...via Putin. That will come out.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2021 12:24 PM

[quote] Miss Lindsey is out.

Guess the people in the airport got to him. He doesn’t want to have that happen again so let’s side with mob rule.

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2021 12:32 PM

[quote] I think they would convict only if it was discovered that his involvement runs much deeper.. Bribes, blackmail, political pressure etc etc

Except the House didn’t present those as Articles. The mention of the Georgia shenanigans was just that, a mention.

This whole thing is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2021 12:34 PM

[quote]In light of President Trump’s Thursday statement pledging an orderly transfer power and calling for healing in our nation, a second impeachment will do far more harm than good.

And in light of my desire to sit in an airport without having my craven cowardice pointed out to me by those terrorists, I mean fine Americans, that exercised their right to dissent in the Capitol.

I mean, they even SMELLED BAD!

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2021 12:35 PM

I'd predict that whatever Lindsay Graham says today, he'll contradict later this week.

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2021 12:39 PM

IF Trump is behaves himself, and IF there is no further violence between now and inauguration day, Republicans will refuse to convict Trump.

Before you start flaming me, I'm just stating political reality, it's not my personal belief. Personally, I'd think Trump should have been taken out and shot a year ago.

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2021 12:40 PM

If not today, R35.

If she had any shame, she'd ... oh, never mind. She has proven time and again that she has no shame.

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2021 12:42 PM

Whatever Trump has on the Senatrix must be some good shit.

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2021 12:44 PM

Actually, it takes zero.

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2021 12:48 PM

Trump and Epstein were friends for decades. Epstein filmed visitors to Pedophile Island with underage children doing God knows what else. I truly believe Trump ordered him murdered so he could never testify against him. But where did all of the blackmail tapes end up with and who all was compromised?

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2021 12:52 PM

No clearer sign that the Republican party is treasonous than that they hesitate to convict the obviously treasonous president.

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2021 1:01 PM

R36, no reason to flame you. You’re right, as ridiculous as it is, nevertheless you’re right.

(Clarification: You’re not ridiculous, their stance is.)

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2021 1:27 PM

To the posters above - arguably yes indeed a president can be impeached after leaving office. And in particular, if he is impeached now, then the senate can hold their trial when the president is out of office.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2021 1:32 PM

It is so painful to watch this monster walk free after what he has done to us. He has hurt everyone around him and abused them his entire life. What a travesty of justice and a knife in our backs

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2021 1:36 PM

[quote][R19] Senators do not vote for impeachment.

Yes, r20, obviously - they have the sole power to try all impeachments.

How very tedious you are.

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2021 1:38 PM

If Congress impeaches Trump tomorrow, is there a time limit for the Senate trial?

Once Democrats take office, and they start to uncover all of the shit, corruption and malfeasance that's been going on the last four years, including the Russian collusion, is there a time limit for the trial to start.

I think after 3 to 6 months, we'll have more favorable evidence to persuade Republicans to vote for conviction.

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2021 1:40 PM

Well, they’re already talking about waiting until Biden serves his first hundred days, so I doubt there’s a limit.

But, the problem with your scenario is none of those things you mentioned are in the Article (only one!) of Impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2021 1:44 PM

the 14th Amendment might be a good option, requires only a majority vote:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any state, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2021 1:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!