Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dept of Homeland Security Resigns...

Hold me, David...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2021 1:42 AM

And yet there is still not a single briefing from ANYONE in the Administration on an unprecedented security breach.

Can we firmly lay to rest any remaining microscopic thread of the notion that governing competency resides anywhere in the Republican Party?

by Anonymousreply 1January 11, 2021 9:28 PM

Page not found

by Anonymousreply 2January 11, 2021 9:30 PM

Here's a link to the story.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 11, 2021 9:32 PM

LOL, just read the summary of the link I just posted at R3...Wolf said battles over the legality of his appointment "divert attention and resources away from the important work of the Department in this critical time."

by Anonymousreply 4January 11, 2021 9:36 PM

The Trump admin isn't going to brief anyone on the attempted coup, they're RESPONSIBLE for the attempted coup!

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2021 9:46 PM

I thought Trump rescinded Wolf's appointment anyway. The Wikipedia page yesterday already had Wolf's replacement listed, I remember seeing that when I was glancing at the current cabinet members.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2021 9:46 PM

He's hot.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2021 9:55 PM

What do we know about his replacement? Is he an Orange loyalist who'll do whatever Orange wants?

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2021 10:15 PM

Dept of Homeland Security Resigns...

The whole department, OP?

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2021 10:20 PM

The Republicans claim to be so patriotic, yet they besmirch any opportunity to rise to it.

by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2021 10:20 PM

The coup WAS the White House’s briefing.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2021 10:21 PM

[quote]Wolf's resignation comes three days after a federal judge in California ruled that his appointment as acting secretary in November 2019 was likely unlawful, blocking a set of sweeping asylum restrictions that were slated to take effect Monday.

[quote]Three days before the court ruling on Friday, Wolf's nomination to be the permanent, Senate-confirmed secretary of homeland secretary was withdrawn by the White House.

Not sure why OP is panicking, this guy was hardly even the acting secretary at all. He was out the door before the coup even started.

Maybe I was wrong about Wikipedia having his replacement on their last night already, I guess Pete Gaynor wasn't announced until today.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2021 10:26 PM

I can't help but think these resignations makes it harder and harder for the 25th amendment to be an option.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2021 10:30 PM

Exactly, R13.

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2021 10:41 PM

He was just a TEMP.

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2021 10:48 PM

R13 How so? Apologises for not knowing.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2021 11:01 PM

He’s a hottie

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2021 11:08 PM

Deplorables are NOT hot, R17.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2021 11:12 PM

R16,

The 25th Amendment calls for Cabinet Level officials to come together and agree to depose the President.

Can you name all of our current, SENATE CONFIRMED (this detail is important), Cabinet secretaries??? Google it, if you have to.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2021 11:13 PM

The Cabinet is empty...just Ginny in Billing and Margie in Human Resources are left.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2021 11:23 PM

Please accept my job offer of being my forever top daddy.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2021 11:23 PM

R19 Don't be too sure of that, R19. I thought they had to be confirmed, too, but the language of the statute does not refer not to Senate confirmed Cabinet Secretaries, but rather "the principal officers of the Executive departments."

SECTION 4. Whenever the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments or of such other body as Congress may by law provide, transmit to the President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives their written declaration that the President is unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office, the Vice President shall immediately assume the powers and duties of the office as Acting President."

"Principal officers" appears to mean the people running the departments. It says nothing about their need to have been confirmed by the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2021 11:24 PM

R19: R22 beat me to it, but acting secretaries are allowed to vote on the invocation of the 25th. As Yale Law cited on page 13 of their reader's guide for the 25th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution:

Can acting heads of Executive Departments participate? Yes. The “principal officers” of the executive departments are understood from the legislative history to be the Presidential appointees who direct the executive departments named in 5 U.S.C. §101.16 Congressional debates regarding the Twenty-Fifth Amendment indicate that a recess appointee to a principal officer position would be able to participate in the determination of inability. However, leading up to the passage of the Twenty-Fifth Amendment, there was some debate as to whether the acting heads of the executive departments should participate in the process created by the Amendment. The House Judiciary Committee report established that they should, noting, “In the case of the death, resignation, absence, or sickness of the head of any executive department, the acting head of the department would be authorized to participate in a presidential inability determination.” This view was later echoed by then-Senator Robert F. Kennedy in a floor debate on June 30, 1965, and assumed by other senators during subsequent discussions concerning the firing and replacement of Cabinet members.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2021 11:33 PM

R22, R23, thank you for that correction—genuinely.

But that now makes the problem that all the upper positions are filled with sycophants. I want accountability but it does seem pointless to impeach with 8 days left...

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2021 11:42 PM

What are the likes of Russia, China, Iran, Syria, North Korea, etc... doing just about now?

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2021 11:44 PM

That was my thought R24. Who appointed these 2nd in commands? Trump most likely.

I just don't know.

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2021 11:48 PM

R24 It's not pointless. Conviction by the Senate after impeachment by the House would make him ineligible to run for federal office again. They don't have to have the Senate trial before he leaves office.

He'd also forfeit Secret Service protection for himself and his family, his pension, office funding, travel funding, etc. - everything an ex-President would otherwise be eligible to receive.

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2021 11:52 PM

R27, I don't think it automatically makes him ineligible to run for Federal Office again. From what I understand, the Senate has to vote to convict, with 2/3 of the Senate agreeing. After that, it takes a simple majority vote to determine whether the punishment includes barring an individual from holding Federal Office again.

The thing is, will barring him in the future do much? Or will it just encourage his cultists to support one of his crotch fruit?

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2021 12:07 AM

He resigns just a week before the inauguration when these unhinged nutters have threatened to attack?

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2021 12:53 AM

[quote]The Cabinet is empty

I feel its pain.

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2021 1:34 AM

I fear martial law.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2021 1:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!