Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dataloungers: how are we defending ourselves?

I know some of you are resourceful and are better prepared for threats than some of us. It's becoming pretty clear that there are dangerous people around us, and we need to think more about our personal safety, both at home and when we're out and about. So, how are you doing that? What would you recommend to other gay folks?

-How do you keep your home safe and secure?

-Do you have any safety plans with your partner or family?

-What do you use for personal self-defense?

Can anyone recommend an online seller that carries pepper spray and stun guns, preferably a gay- friendly company? I know a lot of self-defense suppliers market specifically to Qanon prepper types & I'd prefer to not give my money (or credit card info) to them.

by Anonymousreply 79January 27, 2021 11:56 AM

I've been draining my pasta.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2021 10:59 PM

This way:

[quote] They've hit Buddy! Come on, girls!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2021 11:02 PM

R2, that was very funny. It probably couldn't be made today.

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2021 11:09 PM

What you need for your house is some wasp spray

If anyone breaks in, you spray them in the eyes with the wasp spray (the great thing is you can stand 6 feet away). And do not stop spraying until the can is empty. If they continue towards you, stab them or hit them in the head with a hammer. I even carry a can in my car

Keep a bat at every entrance/exit

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2021 11:59 PM

I have external motion sensors video cameras, an incredibly vicious large dog who only likes one thing in the universe - me. I have bear spray and my key ring is brass knuckles.

I won't have a gun because I don't trust myself to not shoot someone.

by Anonymousreply 5January 11, 2021 12:16 AM

I have a rifle and plenty of ammunition.

Looking forward to killing me some red-hatted varmints.

by Anonymousreply 6January 11, 2021 12:30 AM

I practice slapping a servant girl viciously every morning, just to be prepared for unwelcome invasions.

by Anonymousreply 7January 11, 2021 12:45 AM

i have several guns, a carry license, plenty of ammo, and live in a castle doctrine state.

by Anonymousreply 8January 11, 2021 12:57 AM

Who's "we"? Speaking for myself:

By going about my normal-for-COVID life in my placid suburb, minding my own business and not deliberately provoking people. What the fuck are you worried about?

by Anonymousreply 9January 11, 2021 12:58 AM

Rapists are everywhere. Look at how they abuse what they think is a statue.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 11, 2021 1:02 AM

R9 there are active white supremacist groups in this country. Some groups have been driving into cities to deliberately harass and threaten minorities. They will target any visible minority walking down the street, as you say, "minding your own business". These groups have also been talking online a lot over the past year about including LGBTQ people in their list of minorities they are targeting for violence. Gay-owned businesses, gay bars, their gay neighbors. It may not matter if you "provoke" them or not. It's no joke.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2021 1:23 AM

I say a hail mary and burn this candle .....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2021 1:40 AM

I’m on lockdown until I can get the vax so really not worried about it.

by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2021 1:42 AM

Stay away from hostile closet cases with agendas! They will swear up and down that they're straight but it simply isn't so. This is why gay people sometimes think 'straight' people are homophobic and out to get them, when in reality, those people are the furthest thing from heterosexual! They're trying to distance themselves from other gay people by being anti-gay and dangerous toward LGBT! A true straight person feels no need to distance themselves from gays. These are overcompensating self-hate homos that will bother and harass openly gay people that are happy with themselves.

Back in the day if you wanted to be safe you had to stay away from a closeted terrorist by the name of Rainier. He was married to a beautiful lady, but was gay as the year is long. He really had it in for gay people!

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2021 1:54 AM

With a bottle of Stolies

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2021 1:55 AM

I have two handguns, a small dog who barks when she hears noises outside (like an alarm! Woof!), a fenced-in yard, and a sign that says I have a video camera surveillance system (I don't). There are three "No Trespassing" signs on my fence. All my neighbors know me and my dog, since I walk her around the block outside twice a day. My neighbors are ghastly deplorables, but they've gotten used to having me as a neighbor and I think they'd defend me if push came to shove (so to speak). And I live at the very end of a dead-end street. If I don't know who you are, chances are good you don't belong here.

I've been meaning to get out to the firing range (which is only five miles down the road) for target practice, but it's so cold I can't force myself. But I'm considering buying a shotgun. That way I don't really have to be a good shot to hit someone.

I don't really think I'll really need any of this stuff -- but I'm an old lesbian living alone and I'm surrounded by deplorables. Besides, I'm an Army veteran. I've had the training, so I might as well use it.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2021 1:58 AM

Having wet dreams about horned, shirtless Trump supporter. Insurrection never looked so good. He'll be popular in prison.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2021 2:02 AM

I keep all my fave OF models on speed dial. I'm sure one of them will come to my rescue.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2021 2:10 AM

Everyone needs to calm the fuck down. Law enforcement and politicians have made it clear that this sort of behavior will not be tolerated. There will be no civil war. Trump first incites them to disrupt the electoral college certification process and then he throws the deplorables under the bus when he figures out that he personally may be held responsible for the insurrection.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2021 2:16 AM

my defense has nothing to do with current events. It's standard.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2021 2:19 AM

Mossberg 12 gauge pump action shotgun with a pistol grip. My husband has a small pistol.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2021 2:30 AM

I have very good upper body strength, so I’d just grab something heavy and swing or jab with it. I have adjustable dumbbells, so I’ll set them at 20 and punch, 2,3,4...I won’t even bruise my knuckles.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2021 2:38 AM

I stack empty soup cans in front of each door every night.

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2021 2:44 AM

r19, Please link Law Enforcement giving clear, comprehensive information. I can't find it. No briefings, no press conferences, no action plan, NO TRESSPASSERS WILL BE SHOT warnings.

I DO hear Malcom Nance making suggestions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2021 2:52 AM

Well okay, R24. I meant the FBI instead of law enforcement in general.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2021 2:54 AM

"My husband has a small pistol."

So sorry for you, R21!

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2021 2:55 AM

R19, don't be a buzz-kill. You're raining on the parade of everyone who loves being scared and angry all the time. COVID is vieux jeu; they need something else to be in a constant state of fear, misery and suspicion about.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2021 12:28 AM

I have a dog.

by Anonymousreply 28January 12, 2021 12:33 AM

I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the.......

by Anonymousreply 29January 12, 2021 1:11 PM

Death stare.

by Anonymousreply 30January 12, 2021 1:15 PM

Not at all. Too poor. Fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 31January 12, 2021 1:17 PM

Wit.

by Anonymousreply 32January 12, 2021 1:26 PM

[quote] COVID is vieux jeu

That minx!

by Anonymousreply 33January 12, 2021 1:35 PM

I just got a manicure, OP.

Oh, I WILL scratch a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 34January 12, 2021 1:36 PM

R34- stop lying hussy! We all know those nails are tacky snap on's!

by Anonymousreply 35January 12, 2021 1:39 PM

*removes earrings*

Oh, you trying to fuck around and find out, ain’t you?

by Anonymousreply 36January 12, 2021 1:41 PM

Pepper spray and stun guns are worthless, OP. Google it and you will learn this. If you are going to have a weapon, you need a real gun. You also need proper training, and the commitment to use it if necessary (which will mean shoot-to-kill, because that is the only feasible way to disable someone fast and save your own life). Get online and do some research.

by Anonymousreply 37January 12, 2021 3:22 PM

R36- I will snatch that wig !

by Anonymousreply 38January 12, 2021 3:33 PM

I don't jaywalk, I cross at the crosswalk. I wear a mask in public spaces and vinyl gloves so I don't have to keep washing my hands. I distance myself from others whenever possible and don't drive too close to other cars. I'm eating to keep up my immune system.

by Anonymousreply 39January 12, 2021 3:40 PM

Stop pressuring me! I am stealing as fast as I can, damnit! Sob! Poor bitch robbing the hood.

by Anonymousreply 40January 12, 2021 3:49 PM

Seriously, people? Have you all lost your minds.

Remember after 9/11 there was a terror threat around every corner (or so we were led to believe). Did any of you actually encounter any threats to life/limb post-9/11? This is so typical after any large-scale event...."let's now put the fear into people." It's much easier to rule a fearful public than a brave one.

Untwist yer knickers all ye Marys!

by Anonymousreply 41January 12, 2021 4:00 PM

Poster of Ru Paul on my door. White small dicked baby men flee in horror.

by Anonymousreply 42January 12, 2021 4:03 PM

Yup, r27, somebody had to say/type it!

by Anonymousreply 43January 12, 2021 4:03 PM

R43- funny. WW

by Anonymousreply 44January 12, 2021 4:05 PM

“You mustn’t harm me. I’m a Harvard graduate.”

by Anonymousreply 45January 12, 2021 4:05 PM

2 days after 9/11 the show The Producers went on. Sold out before 9/11, I had no problem getting tickets. the theater was half-filled and a month later in NYC where over 2,500 had been killed life went on. Some people I know said they would never get on a plane again and that lasted until Thanksgiving.

by Anonymousreply 46January 12, 2021 4:26 PM

Ironically, I had zero problem getting on a plane again under the premise that there was no way anyone flying was going to let that happen again.

In the past, everyone was instructed to cooperate with hijackers. That day changed all that and there’s no doubt everyone would “Flight 93” the fuckers before they even had a chance now.

by Anonymousreply 47January 12, 2021 4:31 PM

To be fair, what terrorist wants to bomb “The Producers” though?

CATS, I could see.

by Anonymousreply 48January 12, 2021 4:32 PM

Thumbs up on the Mossbergs! I bought a second one about a year ago and have them discreetly hidden but conveniently accessible by my two main entrances as well as the garage entrance. I don't bother with motion sensors, but have automatic lights and cameras. I added them last year as well because they were so cheap.

I have a CC permit in two states and keep a Glock in the car.

[quote] I have very good upper body strength, so I’d just grab something heavy and swing or jab with it. I have adjustable dumbbells, so I’ll set them at 20 and punch, 2,3,4...I won’t even bruise my knuckles.

Another victim of the gym craze - common sense

by Anonymousreply 49January 12, 2021 4:35 PM

[quote] Thumbs up on the Mossbergs!

No. I don’t like them. What with their bar mitzvah parties all the time. They’re horrible neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 50January 12, 2021 4:39 PM

Cast iron skillet

A brick in a purse

by Anonymousreply 51January 12, 2021 4:49 PM

Practicing my vicious face slapping.

by Anonymousreply 52January 12, 2021 5:32 PM

I have binders of Hillary’s emails.

by Anonymousreply 53January 12, 2021 5:41 PM

Thanks for the advice to those who gave it.

To others, this thread isn't about or for you. I posted at r11 as well, those are real threats and issues that members of our community are facing. There are gay people living in rural areas who have faced these issues. It's not a joke. I live next door to a family that I *know* are armed, had Trump signs and banners in their yard through the election, and participated in some disruptive Trump parades/protests in the week before the election. I just want to be prepared to defend myself.

[quote]Did any of you actually encounter any threats to life/limb post-9/11?

Does that mean people shouldn't be prepared anyway? Again, these Trump supporters and militias want minorities dead. I wouldn't be surprised if there weren't a lot of threats against our community in the Parler hack. There was a post on here last fall about a woman on Twitter openly saying that Trump supporters should terrorize their gay neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 54January 12, 2021 7:07 PM

Wire hangers. Dutch cleanser. I'm good.

by Anonymousreply 55January 13, 2021 12:23 AM

I give them that "teacher look" and they wither.

by Anonymousreply 56January 13, 2021 1:18 AM

OP, I would recommend going to a gun training class. I went to one (it was maybe 2 hours). We used Glock 9mm semi-auto handguns for target training.

I ended up really liking that gun. I also turned out to be a good shot (good aim).

Via the class, you can figure out if you're comfortable with the gun. If you do decide to buy a gun, then I would go to the shooting range on a regular basis. That way, when you're stressed, you will have the muscle memory of shooting that gun (to kill).

Good luck, OP.

by Anonymousreply 57January 13, 2021 2:37 AM

Glib insultations.

by Anonymousreply 58January 13, 2021 3:04 AM

[quote]Law enforcement and politicians have made it clear that this sort of behavior will not be tolerated.

Have you seen the stories in all media detailing the police's involvement in the insurrection? They moved barriers, opened doors, shook hands and took selfies with the seditionists. There's evidence that Capitol Police guided the seditionists to specific Congressmen's offices. There are photographs of chiefs of police at the insurrection, some of them even wearing police insignia! There are reports of LE personnel flashing their badges to gain entry.

[quote] I meant the FBI instead of law enforcement in general.

Have you seen the stories of rightwing infiltration into every branch and level of law enforcement? You should be aware that the FBI has acknowledged an internal problem with agents allowing their political beliefs to override their judgment and professionalism, with studies showing the problem to go back decades, largely ignored, and allowed to proliferate. I could offer some specific examples of this problem but I don't want this thread to devolve into yet another political thread, but suffice it to say that every branch of law enforcement is faced with the same problems that local police are; the FBI is just good at covering up internal problems for "national security" purposes.

Don't get me wrong. I applaud the FBI going after every single one of these seditionists. I'm just not going to deny reality and put them on a pedestal.

by Anonymousreply 59January 13, 2021 3:47 PM

I'm with R9. OP is letting the news on television blind him to real life. It's like the active shooter drills in elementary schools - the chances of that happening to any given school are infinitesimal, and yet children are being taught to be neurotically worried about it.

I live in a place where I feel safe. That option is open to most people. Yes, some white supremacist could invade my neighborhood and start shooting people, but I'm not going to let a bizarrely unlikely scenario rule my life. If you don't feel safe where you live, move somewhere else.

by Anonymousreply 60January 13, 2021 4:47 PM

I live in a city where crime has increased especially car jackings. There is a lot of unrest, tension and I am a single woman who spends a lot of time outdoors. I've become hyper aware, more so than ever - I am constantly suspicious... but I should be doing more to protect myself. I have a pocket knife and a mace keychain. Becoming more and more interested in gun ownership.

by Anonymousreply 61January 13, 2021 5:18 PM

[quote] It's like the active shooter drills in elementary schools - the chances of that happening to any given school are infinitesimal, and yet children are being taught to be neurotically worried about it.

When I was in school we had drills for an atomic bomb. We had to hide under our desks. (BTW, think about that, we’re hiding under fucking kindling!) But that, along with fire drills, another relatively unlikely event, certainly didn’t scar us or make us neurotically worried. We were kids. The teacher told us what to do we did it. We didn’t think about why or that none of us would survive under a desk in the event of an atomic bomb.

by Anonymousreply 62January 13, 2021 6:58 PM

Might buy a gun. Only need one bullet though.

by Anonymousreply 63January 13, 2021 7:40 PM

Why only one, r63?

That’s concerning to me.

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2021 7:42 PM

R37 = gun nut loonies who thinks people are trying to kill him 24/7

No one needs a gun

by Anonymousreply 65January 13, 2021 7:52 PM

A gun nut like r49 is accusing others of lacking common sense....

by Anonymousreply 66January 13, 2021 7:56 PM

[quote] No one needs a gun

Really?

by Anonymousreply 67January 13, 2021 8:31 PM

I have a gun *and* a justification!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68January 13, 2021 8:38 PM

R67, sometimes that’s cover for, “Several people, institutions, and voices have said I don’t need a gun.”

We’re humblebragging and hope you don’t ask about the voices. They hate your shoes, btw.

by Anonymousreply 69January 13, 2021 8:41 PM

[quote] We’re humblebragging and hope you don’t ask about the voices. They hate your shoes, btw.

Hey! I’ll have you know these shoes are Thom McAn originals, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 70January 13, 2021 8:52 PM

R60? I'd be happy to move if you want to spot me, say, 100K.

by Anonymousreply 71January 18, 2021 12:53 AM

I want to get a fun but it’s a process in Canada.

by Anonymousreply 72January 18, 2021 1:26 AM

Oops a gun

by Anonymousreply 73January 18, 2021 1:26 AM

I have an Italian stiletto switchblade that I keep in my glove compartment. There's no road rage temptation with that: what would I do? Cut someone off in my car, and try to stab them? Anyway, guns terrify me, and I figure if someone really wants to hurt me, they'll succeed.

by Anonymousreply 74January 18, 2021 1:29 AM

What are you talking about? I only go out to walk my dogs. Everything else is delivered to the house.

by Anonymousreply 75January 18, 2021 2:14 AM

I have a car aerial right inside the closet door just in case I need to start whipping anyone. I’m so tired of both insurrectionists and goddamn jump-rope chants. They’re giving mother a migraine.

by Anonymousreply 76January 18, 2021 2:37 AM

I live in Nova Scotia. Things would have to get awfully bad here to get a Nova Scotian riled up. Nevertheless, I have an extensive collection of guns that I inherited from my father, and I know how to use them. I'm quite capable of becoming a one-man Alamo, if the need arises.

by Anonymousreply 77January 27, 2021 11:24 AM

By not living in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 78January 27, 2021 11:45 AM

Is the NRA behind this thread? You guys think you’re gonna avoid bankruptcy of you get people on DL to buy guns?

by Anonymousreply 79January 27, 2021 11:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!