Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Pat Loud (An American Family) Has Died

I read a statement on Facebook from the Loud Family that Pat died today of natural causes.

Some of you will remember her from the PBS documentary An American Family, in the 70s. I believe she was 94.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2021 8:24 PM

Did she die with a whimper?

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2021 10:29 PM

She was survived by her children, Kevin, Delilah, Michele and Grant.

Lance Loud died in 2001

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2021 10:29 PM

Probably the first "reality" TV show, done as only PBS could do it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2021 10:36 PM

Lance was the gay one and punk rocker.

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2021 10:41 PM

I wish the whole series was available on DVD. All we can get now is highlights.

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2021 10:42 PM

[bold]WHO??? WHAT???[/bold]

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2021 10:44 PM

[quote]Did she die with a whimper?

No, a loud bang.

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2021 10:44 PM

The 2011 HBO film Cinema Verite was a fictionalized account of the production of An American Family.

Diane Lane played Pat. Tim Robbins played her then husband Bill, and Thomas Dekker was Lance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2021 10:47 PM

The Facebook announcement:

With inconsolable sorrow, we are sad to share the news with friends and family that on Sunday January 10 at 1:55pm PT, Pat Loud passed away peacefully in her sleep of natural causes. She was snuggled up safe in her comfy home, attended by loving children Michele, Delilah, Kevin and Grant.

Born in Eugene, Oregon, Patricia was the beloved daughter of Thomas Osmond and Myrle Lill Russell, who – the story goes – were also responsible for introducing one Alanson Robert Loud to a certain B. Bertha Carberry, also of Eugene. That marriage later produced three children including Pat’s future husband, William Carberry Loud. Cool, huh?

After graduating from Stanford University in 1948 where she pursued her lifelong interests in World History and English Literature, she returned to her hometown where she met and fell in love with Bill Loud. They married in Mexico City, and first son – Alanson “Lance” Russell Loud - was born in June 1951.

Four more children, a move to Santa Barbara, and a famously televised divorce later, Pat’s brilliant second act was only getting started. A flat on New York’s Upper East Side and a new career in the book biz was followed by a relocation to England’s favorite Roman spa town Bath in the 1980s. But wherever she was, an invitation to her table meant an unforgettable evening of great food, generous drinks and convivial company.

When eldest son Lance was diagnosed as HIV+, she returned to Los Angeles, where she became an indefatigable advocate for his health through the 1990s.

Pat Loud was a fierce, inflexible, forthright matriarch and loyal champion of outsiders and iconoclasts. Her door was never locked and there was always room at her table. Never one for regrets or reflection, she moved forward in life with enthusiasm and courage. A letter from her often closed simply, “Excelsior!”

She loved books, the NYT paper and crossword, legends of the Knights Templar, Billie Holiday, Kurt Weil, Harry Nilsson, and of course, The Mumps.

Lance passed away from complications due to Hepatitis C in 2001. Bill Loud died in 2018, also of natural causes, after spending the previous 17 years in the house he shared with Pat. Long story. Having grown up through the Depression and WW II, Bill and Pat were both unique, vibrant, creative, and independent people. Anyone who knew them understands that Lance did not just magically appear out of nowhere. Pat is survived by Kevin Robert, Grant Randolph, Delilah Ann and Michele Summers Loud. She was 94.

In lieu of flowers, the family is grateful for any donations to be made in her name to The Rescue Train at therescuetrain.org.

But…you know what she’d really like? Throw something delicious in the oven and let the aroma fill the house. At the stroke of 5pm, gather friends and family around a tray of savory treats. Fill a glass with ice and – if you really want to do it right – everyone take one, VERY LARGE vodka. Maybe (definitely) two. Then sit down to dinner at a crowded table. Tell stories, put music on, laugh, and make a lot of noise. Have seconds, clean plates. And love each other.

She’d love that.

Patricia Claire Russell Loud 10/04/26 – 01/10/21

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2021 11:05 PM

I'll always love her outfit lounging around the Chelsea Hotel.

She seemed like a great lady. I don't understand why she got as much criticism as she did. And her husband, although a cheater, seemed pretty cool too.

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2021 11:11 PM

She was the ultimate upper middle-class 70s housewife, doing nothing but drinking and smoking all day and ignoring her kids.

by Anonymousreply 11January 11, 2021 12:02 AM

[quote]A flat on New York’s Upper East Side

Seriously? She was born in Eugene, not Oxford.

by Anonymousreply 12January 11, 2021 12:18 AM

After the series was over, she wrote an autobiography.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 11, 2021 12:22 AM

After the marriage ended, she became a literary agent in NYC representing among others, actress Ruth Warwick and Andrew Holloran (Dancer from the Dance).

by Anonymousreply 14January 11, 2021 12:24 AM

She was so fabulous. It was like she embodied the post-war Establishment condition in the Seventies: all this incredible affluence, and all it bought was family unhappiness and confusion.

It's almost impossible for me to forget the episode where she goes to visit a newly out Lance in his walk-up hovel in NYC, which ends with the devastating shot of her walking down his apartment building's dark staircase.

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2021 12:50 AM

Sorry, that should be Andrew Holleran

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2021 12:51 AM

God I loved her. I watched the show when it first aired and I thought she was the coolest mom. And she was. Not some fake huggy kissy mom but a real force of nature who clearly loved her kids. RIP Pat.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2021 12:57 AM

I liked Pat Loud. Age 94 is a pretty good run. It's a shame she lost her son Lance 20 years ago,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2021 1:34 AM

Lance had a 20-year crystal meth addiction.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2021 1:35 AM

Albert Brooks did a great satire of An American Life called Real Life. It still holds up.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2021 1:36 AM

I was in high school when An American Family was airing, it was thrilling and exciting and groundbreaking to have an out gay somebody to watch on TV

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2021 3:58 AM

Lance was cute, and he could be enormously charming; but he had some sort of personality order--either narcissistic personality disorder, or histrionic personality disorder. He said on The Dick Cavett Show that he was "edited" to appear abrasive and obnoxious, but every account of him I've ever read said that he was absolutely desperate for attention in every social circumstance. His parents adored him, though.

He figures into the end of "Edie" by Jean Stein--he became friends with Edie Sedgwick when she returned to her family ranch in Santa Barbara near the end of her life.

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2021 4:27 AM

I watched the series when it came out. It was absolutely fascinating. The fashions and décor was pure 70s. I was about 20 at the time and my house and mother were similarly festooned.

I'll never forget when she asked her husband for a divorce on TV. He was a businessman who travelled frequently and he cheated. Her sister or brother-in-law and their spouse (can't remember exactly who) awkwardly scolded her for doing that on camera. They were not TV naturals. Mrs. Loud looked great in her summer dresses and tan, they were living the CA dream in Santa Barbara.

It showed the unraveling of an American family just as it was happening in households across the country after the changes and upheavals on the 1960s..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2021 4:49 AM

Did they all keep the nose in the divorce?

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2021 4:55 AM

I wonder if she was happy with Bill for the 17 years between Lance's death and hers, or did she just give in because it was a deathbed promise to Lance? Hopefully he at least was too old to be sticking his dick into all their neighbors at that point.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2021 2:00 PM

Sorry, between Lance's death and his, meaning Bill's.

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2021 2:02 PM

Pat on Lance

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2021 2:04 PM

Lance looked like DeNiro in his teens...

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2021 2:32 PM

I knew Pat when she was a literary agent in NYC. We'd have lunch twice a year, not because she had good writers but because she was fun to talk to. Lance was, however, a drama queen of the first order, lots of fun in small doses but not someone you'd want to spend a lot of time with. A friend of mine (female) dated Grant for a while and claimed he gave her a disease. Whatever.

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2021 2:37 PM

When Lance came out on An American Family, everyone looked to Pat to see how she responded. She made history, and showed that middle America was indeed capable of loving its gay children. RIP Pat.

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2021 2:41 PM

Here's the first episode opening. Isn't one of her daughters on the Jeopardy production team?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2021 2:49 PM

Michelle Loud is head co-writer of Jeopardy.

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2021 3:58 PM

R31, thanks for that clip, it brought me right back to my 13 year old self...

by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2021 4:26 PM

Lance Loud on Dick Cavett’s show. I believe this interview took place in 1973.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2021 4:37 PM

The interview continued with Lance and his siblings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2021 4:37 PM

Were the other kids featured on the show? Scant mention of them in the obit.

I believe Pat must have drafted her own obit, likely some time ago, or at 94 wasn’t aware that “gathering friends and family at a crowded table” would be extremely inappropriate and dangerous right now.

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2021 4:52 PM

Lance dropped off Edie after a fashion show at the Santa Barbara Museum the night she died, and was likely the last person to see her alive.

Pat once said, "Of all the Louds, Lance was the loudest."

by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2021 5:14 PM

I worked for her daughter, Delilah Loud at King World, later CBS Enterprises. She was, uh, haughty. Her brother Grant Loud worked on the production team on Jeopardy! He is a nice guy. Lance was kind of an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2021 5:33 PM

As I recall Delilah was a haughty bitch as a teenager. I loved watching this series when PBS re-aired it in the early 1990s. Fascinating. The movie with Julianne Moore referenced above also very well done. Sometimes it was exactly like the original and I had to remind myself it was a movie based on the documentary. Surreal.

by Anonymousreply 39January 14, 2021 2:42 AM

Pat Loud = The original Real Housewife of Orange County! Screw you Vicki Gunvalson!

by Anonymousreply 40January 14, 2021 2:54 AM

I'll just leave this here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41January 23, 2021 8:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!