Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"The Mommie Dearest Diary" by Rutanya Alda

Got it for free on Kindle Unlimited. She played Carol Ann in the film and it's a great read:

"Fuck her," says Vivienne Walker who does the wigs for the movie. "I learn Faye keeps rejecting the beautiful wigs she has created for her and screaming criticism. The poor woman has been terrified for two days. Moreover, Faye's been in since 7:30 am working on her hair with her own personal stylist. I can't believe Faye has rejected Vivienne who worked on the real Joan Crawford among other legendary stars, and brought in Kathy Blondell, who did Goldie Hawn's hair in "Private Benjamin." Apparently Faye had loved Goldie's hairdo, but Vivienne says this is a period film and Joan cannot look like Goldie in the 80s"

And it gets worse from there. No wonder Faye hasn't done much after "Mommie Dearest."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2021 8:04 PM

It was a pretty fun read, but Rutanya came off as pathetic because of all the crap she put up with from her druggie husband. And they were together for many more years and nothing changed! When he died, she had finally separated from him.

But yeah, the dish about others, especially Faye, was good.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2021 8:48 PM

Her videos on YouTube are even better- She was the guest of some theatre? I will try to find it- She is REALLY funny when she reads the book-

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2021 8:51 PM

Rutanya

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2021 8:54 PM

Thats it!

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2021 8:55 PM

The Private Benjamin part is the BEST

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2021 8:55 PM

the book is a brisk read and is somewhat interesting, but make no mistake, Alda is an opportunist trying to make a quick buck, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2021 9:00 PM

I don't mind R6 because, like I said, it's free on Kindle Unlimited. At first I figured I'd skip to the Mommie Dearest part but I got hooked reading about her early life. Bitch of a mother Rutanya had. I actually enjoy her writing but I can't remember seeing her in any other movies and to tell the truth she was even kind of forgettable as Carol Ann.

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2021 9:07 PM

oh it's for sure worth a read. I read it on Unlimited, also, after shopping it for years but not pulling the trigger because it was too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2021 9:09 PM

Rutanya's entrance...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2021 9:20 PM

Another bitch on the set of MD was the actress who played little Christina. She kept grilling Alda on her film credits in a game of one-upmanship which is weird because the girl's career went straight down the shitter after she won two Razzies for MD. Her last credit is "The Happening" in 2008 where she's billed as "Woman with hands over her ears."

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2021 9:29 PM

"Little Christina" today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2021 9:31 PM

I think she's a wonderful actress, r7. I don't know why you find her forgettable, I find her performance sensitive and thought out. Her resume covers over 50 years, so I'm sure you've seen her in other things. I like that she's a character actress who doesn't chew the scenery.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2021 9:32 PM

Mara Hobel just has a face and demeanor that you want to beat. Is that why she was cast?

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2021 9:49 PM

Among the tidbits:

One of the makeup people on the film did Garland's makeup at her funeral. Had to lighten her skin because apparently barbituate abusers will turn very black post-mortem.

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2021 10:42 PM

R12, Only because MD is the only movie I remember her in. I do like her from the book.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2021 10:57 PM

A friend (and former therapist, I think) went to meet Victor Mature.

"When meeting Victor to interview him early in her career as a writer, he took out his enormous cock and showed it to Froma. “Would you like to do something with this?” “Congratulations, that’s the biggest penis I have seen in my life, but I never mix business with pleasure.”

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2021 11:15 PM

That's not "today," r11. That's from a movie she made in 1997.

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2021 11:29 PM

[quote]Had to lighten her skin because apparently barbituate abusers will turn very black post-mortem.

Apparently it happens to alcoholics pre-mortem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2021 1:43 AM

Rutanya has been a facebook friend for a few yrs. Although she tends to be a bit on the right, she hate Coumo with a passion , she's really a sweetheart.

The only time she will plug her book is Mothers Day and Xmas. She usually posts pics of herself with other actors, pictures of her cats and some with her hubby John Savage

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2021 1:54 AM

Just FYI, R19, she's not married to John Savage, she played his wife in The Deer Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2021 12:41 PM

R19 Lots of people of all categories love or hate Cuomo.

She may have a complicated view of government after escaping Russia. Sometimes people in those scenarios still want authoritarianism.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2021 1:56 PM

It had bad reviews and I had low expectations but it was actually very interesting. Not as tell all as you might think but interesting nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 22February 9, 2021 8:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!