Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Ladybugs

I have these random ladybugs that show up in my house.

If I release it outside into the cold will it die? I am in New England.

They eventually die inside...

What will give it the kindest send off?

by Anonymousreply 35February 15, 2021 10:41 AM

The heel of your shoe, honey.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2021 6:27 PM

We don’t want to hear about your “ladybugs”, Senatrice.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2021 6:31 PM

Check with Miz Lindsay.

She's got the same problem.

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2021 6:31 PM

I think I love you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2021 6:33 PM

If you have any good-sized houseplants, you could place the ladybug on the plant to enjoy their own little indoor green ecosystem. If it hatched indoors, the extreme cold would probably zap it fast.

And WTF with ladybug hate, R2 and R3? Some of us don't mind the occasional benign distraction when the country in mired in shit.

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2021 6:34 PM

r5 has overt ladybug sympathies and should be exterminated along with the ladybug.

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2021 6:36 PM

^^ I actually love this, R6.

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2021 6:44 PM

Feed your ladybug small amounts of raisins, lettuce, or honey every day. Soak 2-3 raisins in water for a couple of minutes to soften them up. You can also tear half of a leaf of lettuce into small pieces and allow your ladybug to graze.

If you have plants, they may have aphids, tiny green bugs, and ladybugs love to eat them.

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2021 6:47 PM

I'm in New England also OP but I've never seen a ladybug in winter.

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2021 6:49 PM

R5 The country mired in shit?

Have you thought about what the poor ladybugs on the Senatrice's ass are mired in or on?

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2021 6:50 PM

They seek to hibernate in a warm place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2021 6:51 PM

May not be ladybugs. If they're Asian lady beetles, let them die.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2021 6:53 PM

R1 A soaked raisin would be at least twice, if not three times, the size of a ladybug! It would be like a baby trying to eat a basketball!

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2021 8:15 PM

^^meant for R8

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2021 8:16 PM

R14 They can nibble on them. Ladybugs have surprisingly sharp mouth parts. I was bitten by one, and I was surprised how much it hurt.

by Anonymousreply 15January 11, 2021 11:23 AM

R8 / R15 Ladybugs don't bite. It sounds like you were bitten by an Asian Lady Beetle. R12 posted an interesting article about the difference. From reading many of your posts, MissLucy, I know you are a kind person but I hope you are not feeding Asian Lady Beetles.

by Anonymousreply 16January 11, 2021 2:37 PM

R16 It's quite possible that I was bitten by an Asian Lady Beetle. They look very similar to ladybugs, and I'm no expert on either one. I did a lookup on them and apparently they invaded Nova Scotia a couple of years ago. I understand that ladybugs are rounder and smaller. I think that it was a couple of years ago that I found a huge number of one or the other in my backyard in a section where they appeared to have hatched or where they were hanging out. I'll be a bit more careful now. No, I don't feed insects, so no worries there. Thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 17January 11, 2021 2:49 PM

Have your psychopharmacologist adjust the dosing.

by Anonymousreply 18January 11, 2021 3:04 PM

That article says that ladybugs are always red. But they can be yellow and orange too.

by Anonymousreply 19January 11, 2021 3:12 PM

[quote]What will give it the kindest send off?

Swat the motherfucker in general direction. I'll take care of it.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2021 3:15 PM

By chance, I just read for the first time about the Senatrice's "little ladybugs" and now I don't like the insects anymore.

by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2021 3:18 PM

R21 The guy who started the story about the Senatrice's ladybugs admitted it was a joke but the rumor lives on...

by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2021 3:20 PM

R22 - oh, thank goodness, that was gross. Even as a joke, what a strange story to make up!

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2021 4:31 PM

Why strange? Any stranger than Lady Lindsay's behavior?

It's certainly memorable.

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2021 4:40 PM

Moles on his ass that he calls ladybugs - that's not strange?

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2021 4:49 PM

Consider the source, R25

Do you think the Senatrice isn't strange?

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2021 4:52 PM

Yes, she is. But I'm sorry I derailed this thread from the happy little insects. Resume, nature people!

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2021 4:56 PM

They add such a nice crunch to my salad!

by Anonymousreply 28January 20, 2021 6:03 PM

[quote] [R8] / [R15] Ladybugs don't bite. It sounds like you were bitten by an Asian Lady Beetle.

Ouch! I know from experience that that really hurts.

Oh wait... I thought you said Asian lady[italic]boy.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 29January 20, 2021 6:10 PM

Are they called Damebugs in England?

by Anonymousreply 30January 20, 2021 6:50 PM

Asian lady beetles bite and they exude an awful smelling liquid when threatened or killed. I had an infestation in my house one time. If I see one I take it outside. If you see a horde of them, get out your vacuum cleaner. They don't seem to stink as much when you dispose of them that way.

We found where they were getting in and fixed the problem by preventing them from invading.

Asian lady beetles have taken over the ecological niche that ladybugs held, at leaast in my region. I cannot remember the last time I found a true North American ladybug. The most obvious differences between the two are that the Asian beetles are orange and bite, while the native ladybugs are red and don't.

by Anonymousreply 31January 20, 2021 6:54 PM

So, they fart. Who doesn't?

by Anonymousreply 32January 20, 2021 6:56 PM

R31 There are orange ladybugs. And asian lady beetles are also type of ladybugs.

by Anonymousreply 33January 20, 2021 8:39 PM

OP?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 15, 2021 10:19 AM

Graham's dingleberries = ladybugs

by Anonymousreply 35February 15, 2021 10:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!