Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anna Wintour gives Kamala Harris the worst Vogue cover of all time

WTF is this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2021 11:52 PM

Goddamn. It looks like the inside of a coffin. Or a house remodel. This is a fucking hate crime

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2021 6:58 AM

Not flattering at all. Poorly styled & lit. She looks like a high school kid with a backdrop made from mom's fabric from the sewing room. This seems so ridiculous because she's been styled & photographed well many times. This is a miss.

by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2021 6:58 AM

R2 here. I zoomed in around her hair & it looks like some shitty photoshopped job. There has to be another cover, or at least this one needs more polish.

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2021 7:01 AM

Apparently, it’s not the photo they agreed to use.

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2021 7:05 AM

She looks like a visitor to Pee Wee's Playhouse

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2021 7:16 AM

That can't be for real, can it? It's a joke.

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2021 7:16 AM

ELLE did it better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2021 7:22 AM

“the new America” indeed. If the picture is anything to go by, I’d say it’s not very optimistic. Did they let an intern do their magic here, I can’t help but wonder who thought this looked like a good cover.

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2021 7:30 AM

Apparently the photo they agreed to use was one where Harris was in a powder blue suit, and for some reason they changed the photo without telling her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2021 7:37 AM

Anna Wintour hates black people

She'll have them on the cover, but she makes them look bad

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2021 7:39 AM

She needs to chop that hair off and find herself a girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2021 7:45 AM

I don't understand this photo. It must be filled with secret messages.

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2021 8:17 AM

It's fine. Maybe it's trying to say that she is going to be freshening things up. The dreary old green wallpaper. And she comes in with that pinky mauvey fabric as a way to say, I'm making changes my way... I don't know. Strike that. I mean that pinky mauvey color is bullshit and her outfit is all wrong. I give up. I can't explain this one either.

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2021 8:24 AM

[quote] I don't understand this photo. It must be filled with secret messages.

I also caught that. Anna is such an imp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2021 8:25 AM

It's Dame Anna to you OP!

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2021 8:27 AM

An awkward pose in front of a shitty backdrop? Anna Wintour is notorious for approving ever detail of every cover. I'm genuinely shocked she thought this piece of shit cover was the best Vogue could do.

Allegedly, the Harris camp is disappointed because they had discussed using an entirely different photo before the announcement was made. They liked one with Harris in a powder blue pantsuit.

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2021 1:22 PM

She’s stepping on decadence in a pair of Converse. The theme had potential but the execution - meh.

I would’ve preferred a more stoic expression to juxtapose against, well, everything else.

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2021 1:25 PM

Wow. That background is disturbing - it completely overpowers the image of Kamala. The Elle shot was much better as Kamala was the focal point. These should not be "fashion" shots and the significance should be the person.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2021 1:42 PM

/applaud Vogue

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2021 1:44 PM

Not even Vogue can turn a turd into gold.

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2021 1:44 PM

How would Anna like an IRS audit? Because she's getting one.

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2021 1:45 PM

It takes quite an effort to make such a beautiful woman look awful.

I think the top part would do, unkempt as the background is.

But her thighs look fat, the short legs on the pants make her look stubby in general, and the sneakers make her look like she's a loon.

Hope this is the end of Witchtower - she sucks big time.

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2021 1:48 PM

It’s no secret that Wintour hates black women

by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2021 1:50 PM

I get the idea of it -- the gaudy background is the usual sort of voluminous backdrop Vogue has women pose in, but they'd normally be glammed up, wearing huge ballgowns. Dropping Kamala in her sneakers and pants in front of it, it's all about the contrast. That sense of not belonging, of confusion, is the photo's reason. Still it could've been executed better

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2021 1:55 PM

The Root has a good write-up about the cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2021 2:07 PM

LMAO...

5 minutes ago Vogue tweeted out another cover...the one the Harris camp were hoping they'd use in the first place. It's MUCH better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2021 2:12 PM

Wow Anna must be an ardent Trumper. That's the shittiest cover I've ever seen on a fashion magazine by far. No contest. Does she love Trump or hate black women and is appalled that one will now be vp as opposed to one who knows her place and is just an exotic model? Harris looks dumpy and ridiculous and is an attractive professional looking woman. You know Wintour is super anal so every rotten detail is by design.

Yes the one in the pale blue suit is ok. Not great but much better. What happened to photographers?

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2021 2:14 PM

To her credit, Anna is not a Trumper. I just think the cover is a serious misfire with good intentions. The backdrop uses Harris' sorority colors (AKA--pink and green)...also, despite being sophisticated, on the campaign trail she regularly appeared in Comverse Chuck Taylors...finally, she's the VP. Michelle Obama had beautiful colors, but as First Lady she was allowed to embrace her femininity. Harris is expected to project strength, so she couldn't appear draped over a chaise lounge or in front of a floral backdrop.

by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2021 2:24 PM

[quote]Honestly, I thought she was delivering my lunch. I had my assistant pull out a cell phone and take two shots because I thought the shoes were an abomination. But don't worry. We managed to get that lovely fabric clean of footprints. Imagine how shocked I was that it was who it was. So sad. I let her pick which pic to use. The other one was blurry because Therese's hand was shaking from laughing. She's gone now.

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2021 2:37 PM

The sneakers without socks seem odd. The fabric is distracting and looks like Scarlett O'Hara's bedroom drapes.

by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2021 2:46 PM

Blue suit one, while not breathtaking, is much better. In the one Wintour picked out, Kamala looks like she's got her dropcloth ready and is about to go to work tearing down some pukey green wallpaper.

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2021 2:58 PM

I thought the taffeta was indicative of her having to ditch her casual look for ball gowns and style as the first female VP ever.

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2021 3:03 PM

Well the old cow has people TALKING about Vogue

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2021 3:06 PM

The pandemic alone makes the timing of this really ill advised. She should be doing substance covers, but Vogue and Elle could have waited.

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2021 4:22 PM

WTH is that background? This is so jarring.

by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2021 4:24 PM

[quote] It's fine.

I don't understand "it's fine." That's bullshit. Vogue knows the fuck how to make someone look good on a damn cover. And you make Kamala Harris look like that? She's a good-looking woman and VP-elect. Give her some fucking respect & authority in presentation. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2021 4:47 PM

R35 I'm no social justice warrior, but the choice of pink and green as a backdrop could have racist implications. Anyway, I don't need Yashar Ali to tell me this is only one of multiple covers shot. I know how Vogue works with these things.

I haven't had a subscription since 2005, and stopped reading completely after Kim Kardashian & Kanye West paid to be on the cover. I can't wait for Wintour to die a slow death. I've been over her for decades.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2021 5:05 PM

I blame the normally outspoken homosexual at every Vogue shoot who didn't stand up to Kamala with a insistant "Gurl, just no."

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2021 5:07 PM

R26 Wow. Okay, this was purposeful.

by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2021 5:11 PM

Just took a better look at that alternative cover. It’s perfect.

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2021 5:12 PM

I still don't like her.

by Anonymousreply 41January 10, 2021 5:43 PM

Better than Mike Pence, though.

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2021 5:45 PM

Some of the most brilliant fashion minds in the world decided THIS was the look. But DLers know better. Right? Right?

by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2021 5:48 PM

Yes, the great, delicate intricacies of the brilliant fashion minds in the world.

I'm surprised they had time to manage the Vogue cover after all their work on the COVID vaccines.

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2021 5:54 PM

Not good, but American Vogue often has crappy covers.

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2021 5:59 PM

[quote] It's fine. Maybe it's trying to say that she is going to be freshening things up

NO, This is the first black FEMALE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Shame on that cunt anna wintour. She should show some respect

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2021 8:57 PM

The cover is definitely a misfire but it’s worth pointing out that the photographer was Tyler Mitchell, who was the first Black lensman to shoot a cover of Vogue when he did the Beyoncé cover.

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2021 9:30 PM

The cover the Harris camp wanted to use is so much better. She looks beautiful and powerful in that blue. Anna must be on her way out and not give a fuck.

by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2021 9:36 PM

Has Joy Reid commented?

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2021 9:38 PM

Absolutely awful.

by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2021 9:38 PM

[quote]In the one Wintour picked out, Kamala looks like she's got her dropcloth ready and is about to go to work tearing down some pukey green wallpaper.

To be fair, who knows what kind of horrors are going to be found when Biden and Harris get into the Oval Office.

by Anonymousreply 51January 10, 2021 9:39 PM

Has Grace left Vogue?

by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2021 9:40 PM

[quote] Wow Anna must be an ardent Trumper. That's the shittiest cover I've ever seen on a fashion magazine by far

It's something that you could see a bunch of teenagers doing for the school newspaper.

It might have even worked inside the magazine with a bunch of other fabulous pictures

by Anonymousreply 53January 10, 2021 9:42 PM

r45, please find an uglier one and post it. That cover was meant to undermine her. It's 100 percent disrespectful and reeks of envy and resentment.

by Anonymousreply 54January 10, 2021 10:14 PM

I just want to say Vogue has been OVER for years and anyone who is shook by this is late. Their covers have been lame for some time.

by Anonymousreply 55January 10, 2021 10:25 PM

[quote] The cover is definitely a misfire but it’s worth pointing out that the photographer was Tyler Mitchell, who was the first Black lensman to shoot a cover of Vogue when he did the Beyoncé cover.

He tried to incorporate her sorority colors with her love of Chuck Taylor shoes but the framing of it, her pose, the simplicity and frumpiness of all of it is dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 56January 10, 2021 10:54 PM

I appreciate the sentiment, but Tyler Mitchell just isn’t a good photographer. His Beyoncé cover was whack as fuck too.

by Anonymousreply 57January 10, 2021 11:02 PM

[quote] I'm waiting for Kamala to wear a dress. She's always in drab pantsuits. I think she would look beautiful strolling to the platform in a long flowing dress.

Does Kamala do dresses?

by Anonymousreply 58January 10, 2021 11:27 PM

I don’t know why Kamala is on Vogue at all!

She is not the president’s consort (like Jackie) she's the replacement president and —let’s be frank— she’s going to be taking over sooner than we think.

And when president she will required to to do things like order US sharpshooters on overseas missions to kill Osama Bin Ladin, shoot Somali pirates, stand up to Putin and intervene in the next Indian-Pakistan war, etc, etc etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 10, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote]Some of the most brilliant fashion minds in the world decided THIS was the look. But DLers know better. Right? Right?

I know cerulean blue from shit, so yes.

by Anonymousreply 60January 10, 2021 11:37 PM

Has Grace left Vogue?

by Anonymousreply 61January 11, 2021 1:18 AM

[quote]I don’t know why Kamala is on Vogue at all!

You just answered your own damn question.

[quote]She's the replacement president and —let’s be frank— she’s going to be taking over sooner than we think. And when president she will required to to do things like order US sharpshooters on overseas missions to kill Osama Bin Ladin, shoot Somali pirates, stand up to Putin and intervene in the next Indian-Pakistan war, etc, etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 62January 11, 2021 1:32 AM

I would like to see KH in a dress for a change. I don't know why she always wears pantsuits unless she feels self-conscious about her weight. She has worn dresses in the past.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 11, 2021 2:13 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 11, 2021 7:06 AM

Maybe an employee that was thinking of quitting deliberately chose the bad cover at the last minute so that it would reflect poorly on Anna. Anna has gotten a lot of heat in the past 6 months over her treatment of POC

by Anonymousreply 65January 11, 2021 7:21 AM

That wig is doing her no favors with the "That Girl" flip

by Anonymousreply 66January 11, 2021 7:27 AM

R64, I know the quote isn’t yours, but I don’t think the “skin lightening” is intentional but more of a reflection of being unable to use proper lighting/backdrop colors. The shades of pink and green used washed Kamala out and make her skin tone appear sallow.

Contextually, I can see why Anna chose the cover - but it is hurt by being too “on the nose” with the iconography. Plus the image has the appearance of an initial test shot. Very strange, but not necessarily shocking for US Vogue these days.

by Anonymousreply 67January 11, 2021 7:45 AM

Why would a black photographer lighten her color. He's simply bad. Very amateurish. There have been very fine black photographers. He's not one of them. Wintour is old. Her skin is so crepey it looks like it's about to fall off. It's time to move on like maybe teach. Though it seems to want to have her as a teacher you'd have to want to major in being a mean, very cold, arrogant piece of shit without the least bit of wit or humor.

by Anonymousreply 68January 11, 2021 11:20 AM

[quote]It's fine. Maybe it's trying to say that she is going to be freshening things up.

"It's fine"? "Freshening things up"? She's not washing out her cooter in the hotel bathroom. She's the first woman and a woman of color no less to hold the second most senior office in America. It's awful and your lack of basic visual comprehension is proof of why America is the laughingstock it is today.

by Anonymousreply 69January 11, 2021 11:46 AM

Even though I can't stand Britney Spears, her patriotic Vogue cover is iconic. There certainly could've been a better way to pay homage to Harris' place in US history, while incorporating her sorority colors and personal style. Maybe having her wear a green pantsuit against a pink background?

Also, they missed an opportunity to simply state "MVP" (Madam Vice President)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70January 11, 2021 12:39 PM

I know 2020 was the BLM year but will all this woke pandering ever end?

by Anonymousreply 71January 11, 2021 4:59 PM

A source told DailyMail.com that Harris had thought her preferred image - which shows the VP-elect in a powder blue suit - would be used on the cover, and said she was only made aware that the more 'casual' photo of her wearing Converse Chuck Taylor sneakers had been swapped in when the cover was leaked online.

However, a Vogue insider denied that Harris' team ever requested photo or cover approval, and insisted that a specific cover shot had not been agreed upon.

Still, the source close to Harris suggested that she privately agrees with much of the online criticism of the chosen cover shot, revealing that the VP-elect is 'extremely disappointed' with the choice - despite the fact that her own team chose her outfits for the shoot.

----------

[quote] will all this woke pandering ever end?

Only if China takes over.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72January 11, 2021 6:44 PM

[quote] a better way to pay homage to Harris' place in US history,

It hasn't started yet. We have no idea what's going to happen in the next 4 years.

by Anonymousreply 73January 11, 2021 7:44 PM

What the hell are you talking about, R73? At the very least there's never been a black, female VP.

by Anonymousreply 74January 11, 2021 8:10 PM

I'm looking at the cover with her in the powder blue suit, and she's standing in front of a long, narrow table with a fabric over our, and the fabric is bunched up on one side. Did anyone else read this as a massage table? Like she's standing there saying "Okay America, come lay down so I can work some kinks & tension out of you!"

by Anonymousreply 75January 11, 2021 8:21 PM

[quote]That sense of not belonging, of confusion

There's absolutely no reason to frame Kamala Harris as not belonging or being confused.

by Anonymousreply 76January 11, 2021 8:26 PM

Anna should be put on a no fly list for this, Scumbag!

by Anonymousreply 77January 11, 2021 8:30 PM

Didn’t Anna want a nice ambassadorship in the Biden administration? Too bad, Anna!

by Anonymousreply 78January 11, 2021 8:50 PM

R71, yes I’m sorry the BLM movement did not end in 2020. Maybe this will be your year???

Or, do we miss the days when Darren K. Star and Sarah Jessica Parker ruled the fashion scene and tossed water on black trannies who “knew their place.”

(I was hate watching SATC yesterday...)

by Anonymousreply 79January 11, 2021 8:51 PM

What is the thing with the crumpled fabric behind her in the blue jacket picture? It looks like a massage table in a cheap Thai massage place. All they needed was a plain background. Kamala is a good looking woman, you have to really mess up to take a bad picture of her.

by Anonymousreply 80January 14, 2021 9:58 PM

It would be the worst cover if they put a photo of Wintour on the cover.

by Anonymousreply 81January 14, 2021 10:06 PM

Anna Wintour is a high riding cunt because it's the only thing she has to hang on to. This has been proven time and time again over the last decade in particular.

by Anonymousreply 82January 14, 2021 10:57 PM

[quote]It’s no secret that Wintour hates black women

But why, r23?

by Anonymousreply 83January 14, 2021 11:15 PM

Wintour screwed-up here.

"Edgy" and "fresh", forever, but NOT with this particular print cover.

Sometimes the smart, safe choice is the correct choice. Her instincts should have dictated that safe, elegant, pretty, with an air of power and authority IS edgy and fresh, given the person, position and historic place that Harris now has for eternity.

Wintour made a gigantic mistake not choosing the MVP in the powder blue suit.

Wintour needs to retire. She's lost it.

by Anonymousreply 84January 14, 2021 11:19 PM

She made Kim Kardashian look good and she could not do the same for someone who actually contributes to society?

by Anonymousreply 85January 14, 2021 11:20 PM

Absolutely spot on R84.

by Anonymousreply 86January 14, 2021 11:24 PM

Oh Fuck, that looks hideous

by Anonymousreply 87January 14, 2021 11:31 PM

The powder blue one is awful too -- what's with the table up against her bum? Really unflattering, and a Vogue cover circulating the week of the inaugurationis is lame.

Wintour is not on the way out -- she was promoted to creative director of conde nast.

by Anonymousreply 88January 14, 2021 11:34 PM

why is the fabric nor smoothed out and why is the table even there, what's the theme supposed to be

by Anonymousreply 89January 14, 2021 11:39 PM

If only I had had a chance to work with it.

by Anonymousreply 90January 14, 2021 11:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!