Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tasteful Friends: In the heart of LA

Las Palmas Ave, close to everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2021 4:54 AM

I first read that as 480K and thought no f'ing way.

by Anonymousreply 1January 10, 2021 5:23 AM

Was this owned by a cast member of the Shahs of Sunset?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 10, 2021 5:24 AM

The interior design is pretty bad, but I like it overall. It's a standard LA Spanish-influenced crib, but I like it.

by Anonymousreply 3January 10, 2021 5:26 AM

How exactly does the guest house have "provenance?"

by Anonymousreply 4January 10, 2021 5:28 AM

Love the area and like the bones.

by Anonymousreply 5January 10, 2021 5:35 AM

Love the exterior color choices.

by Anonymousreply 6January 10, 2021 5:43 AM

Why did you need to show this to us?

by Anonymousreply 7January 10, 2021 5:55 AM

[quote] How exactly does the guest house have "provenance?"

Either Kato Kaelin once lived in, a starlet died in it, or a big producer used it for his casting couch.

by Anonymousreply 8January 10, 2021 5:57 AM

Prefer the guest house to the big house. Back yard is all pool and sort of sad. I love the neighborhood but they have over-developed this parcel. The structure to lot massing is not a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 9January 10, 2021 6:31 AM

Is it adjacent to Hancock Park?

by Anonymousreply 10January 10, 2021 6:34 AM

I'm intrigued by the concept of leather floors, but I just can't with the big birdcage on the front of the house.

by Anonymousreply 11January 10, 2021 6:47 AM

[quote]How exactly does the guest house have "provenance?"

They have all the papers showing it was legally built with permits and everything?

by Anonymousreply 12January 10, 2021 6:48 AM

What’s the neighborhood like?

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2021 7:06 AM

I want:

1. A long roll of both “R”s

2. AREA RUGS

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2021 7:31 AM

Handsome facade and promising curb appeal, but the interior is underscaled and underwhelming, short on architectural programming and detail and subject to some unfriendly renovations.

Characterless interior and tear garden.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2021 12:17 PM

The exterior is hideous. It looks like Spanish Mission, French Quarter, and Colonial resurrected as a manufactured home.

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2021 12:25 PM

Spot on R15 - the exterior looks promising but the interior is disappointing and dull architecturally. The boring paint choices and awful furniture aren’t the real problems inside. .

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2021 12:35 PM

I don't mind it, but there's absolutely nothing special or interesting about it whatsoever. I'd rather live in the guest house, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2021 5:29 PM

[quote] Is it adjacent to Hancock Park?

It is Hancock Park. Fantastic area. East of Highland, north of Wilshire, south of Melrose.

I love it but not for $4.8 million. I'd want more outdoor space.

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2021 5:43 PM

Do you usually see shutters like that on Spanish-style houses? They looked more appropriate to a Colonial saltbox house. Other than those, I liked the exterior. There was a small corner room with a chaise longue that I would enjoy if I lived there for reading or a home office. Whoever "did" the main kitchen should be shot. I liked the dark stained wood in combination with the iron balusters for the staircase.

by Anonymousreply 20January 11, 2021 1:11 AM

I do like the bar. So many glasses! They probably host many parties. I think the owners are gay.

Maybe the rooms are a mix of poorly staged and owner's things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 11, 2021 5:06 AM

Guest bedroom. It's a painting of two men. Hideous décor otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 11, 2021 5:09 AM

I loved the exterior, I'm a fan of the 1920s Spanish revival homes in LA, then I saw the interior and about fainted. I know you can easily redecorate but I got viscerally angry at this room with dark espresso brown shelves on one wall, medium brown paint on the next, cocoa brown on the third... someone needs a good smack upside the head.

by Anonymousreply 23January 11, 2021 5:23 AM

I wouldn't live in LA now.

by Anonymousreply 24January 11, 2021 5:28 AM

I like Hancock Park (had a boyhood friend whose family lived there, so I was there and around that area quite a bit growing up). But if I had $4.8 million to spend on a house in L.A., no way would it be there.

by Anonymousreply 25January 11, 2021 6:12 AM

I thought we'd replaced 'master bedroom' with 'primary bedroom'?

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2021 6:20 AM

That 1984 kitchen is giving me hives.

by Anonymousreply 27January 11, 2021 7:45 AM

[quote] I do like the bar. So many glasses! They probably host many parties. I think the owners are gay.

That's why the absence of outdoor space is so odd. How do you host parties with no backyard?

[quote] I like Hancock Park (had a boyhood friend whose family lived there, so I was there and around that area quite a bit growing up). But if I had $4.8 million to spend on a house in L.A., no way would it be there.

Yes. There are breathtaking homes in Hancock Park where $4.8 million would make sense. But you can live very well in Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Venice or Santa Monica for $5 million. The advantage of Hancock Park is that it is in the center of the city.

by Anonymousreply 28January 11, 2021 10:01 AM

I hate the flooring.

by Anonymousreply 29January 11, 2021 12:01 PM

It may be Hancock Park, but when I think of "Las Palmas" I think of the sleazy area by Hollywood Blvd. with hookers and low-rent SROs.

by Anonymousreply 30January 11, 2021 12:06 PM

R21 "I do like the bar. So many glasses! They probably host many parties. I think the owners are gay." How did you came to that dumb conclusion?

by Anonymousreply 31January 11, 2021 12:36 PM

[quote] The advantage of Hancock Park is that it is in the center of the city.

Which is balanced out by:

The disadvantage of Hancock Park is that is is in the center of the city.

by Anonymousreply 32January 11, 2021 4:26 PM

R31. It's not a dumb conclusion, it's pretty obvious. While not wonderfully decorated, the home looks more suited to men.

I can just imagine lots of hot guys draped around the swimming pool. Yes, the backyard lacks more green space but one might not notice when there are men lounging about.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33January 11, 2021 5:43 PM

Public records indicate the house is owned by ...

TAVIS SMILEY

Were any of those subordinates male?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34January 11, 2021 6:08 PM

And according to L.A. Times Hot Property column last May, the listing started out at $6.2 million.

===============================================

Signing off in Hancock Park

Talk show host Tavis Smiley, who earlier this year was ordered to pay PBS $1.5 million in a dispute over his firing, is looking to sell his home in L.A.'s historic Hancock Park neighborhood. The Spanish-style house is up for grabs at $6.2 million.

Smiley bought the property in 2006 for $3.4 million. That was two years after he began hosting his eponymous late-night talk show on PBS. Smiley was fired in 2017 amid sexual misconduct allegations, which he has strenuously denied.

Built in 1929, the two-story home features arched openings and an ivy-covered facade. The main house has seven bedrooms and 4.5 bathrooms in 6,000 square feet, and the guest suite tacks on two bedrooms and a bathroom in 1,000 square feet.

Formal common spaces include a living room with a wet bar, a dining room with built-ins and a den with leather floors.

Upstairs, the master suite has a fireplace, a spacious walk-in closet and an elevator connecting to the covered patio down below. The space leads to a landscaped backyard complete with a pool, spa and fountain. A second-story balcony takes in neighborhood views.

Smiley, 53, hosted "BET Talk" on BET from 1996 to 2002, and, following a three-year stint on National Public Radio, hosted "The Tavis Smiley Show" on PBS from 2004 to 2017. He sued PBS for wrongful termination in 2017, but in March, a Washington, D.C., jury ordered him to pay the broadcaster $1.486 million for breach of contract.

by Anonymousreply 35January 11, 2021 6:15 PM

This isn’t architecture it’s a building. It’s like the difference between fashion and clothes.

This is really just a collection of building materials and some neo-stylistic flourishes on top. Location is........fine. Who is buying these kinda places these days?

by Anonymousreply 36January 11, 2021 6:19 PM

R36 Armie Hammer bought this one a few blocks over in 2019, then put it on the market in September 2020. Comparing the previous and current listing, nothing was done to it, and with the latest price drop, I'm not even if he'll break even.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 11, 2021 6:37 PM

And former Big Bang Actor, Kunal Nayar, bought this nearby one in late 2019.

It's got a wall around it, but it's actually on a fairly busy corner - the intersection of Rossmore and 6th with a traffic light.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 11, 2021 6:50 PM

R37 ah I see. I suppose it’s the least of Arnie’s current worries. Or at least quite far down the list. It’s just such a nothing neighbourhood. No defining features. I’ve always been confused as to why anyone would choose to live there. Maybe a misplaced idea about status?

by Anonymousreply 39January 11, 2021 6:54 PM

The area is great and I like the architecture. The interior design and art need help. Drop it to about 4 million and I think it would sell.

by Anonymousreply 40January 11, 2021 7:01 PM

[quote] . It’s just such a nothing neighbourhood.

It's near Miracle Mile and, while being central to everything, offers a quiet respite from the chaos of the city.

by Anonymousreply 41January 11, 2021 7:06 PM

[quote] I’ve always been confused as to why anyone would choose to live there. Maybe a misplaced idea about status?

Well, I think it started with the very private, exclusive Wilshire Country Club (golf course) that was developed a little over 100 years ago. It sits sort of in the middle of Hancock Park. Then, most of these big mansions were built out from it during the 20s.

by Anonymousreply 42January 11, 2021 7:12 PM

Done and done. Just bought the house. I've always wanted to live near Hancock Park!

by Anonymousreply 43January 11, 2021 7:12 PM

I thought we'd replaced 'master bedroom' with 'primary bedroom'?

R26 Yes, also refer to it as they.

by Anonymousreply 44January 11, 2021 7:13 PM

R37, beautiful on the outside, cold on the inside.

Like so many of the pretty faces one sees these days.

by Anonymousreply 45January 11, 2021 7:13 PM

R38, I'm not crazy about the exterior of that one but I live the interior, minus the poor choices of décor.

by Anonymousreply 46January 11, 2021 7:15 PM

I like a lot of things about the house, but that bar closet is tragic. Bathrooms need updating, too.

by Anonymousreply 47January 11, 2021 7:18 PM

The Hammers' house is so much nicer, for the same price. Did they ever even live in that house before putting it back on the market? Do we know?

by Anonymousreply 48January 11, 2021 7:19 PM

[quote[ Maybe a misplaced idea about status?

Besides the country club, another element of historical status for the neighborhood is that it's where the official residence of the Los Angeles Mayor is located ("Getty House"). (Although, some people refer to the area where that house is as "Windsor Square.") .. Over the years, I've also heard that some foreign embassies have their ambassador residence in Hancock Park. .. Don't know if that's still true.

by Anonymousreply 49January 11, 2021 7:33 PM

R49 mayors house, ambassadors residences and a golf club. This is kinda what I meant by misplaced status :)

by Anonymousreply 50January 11, 2021 7:48 PM

[quote] The disadvantage of Hancock Park is that is is in the center of the city.

That is not a disadvantage unless you want to be close to the Ocean. A disadvantage is living in Malibu and needing to get to DTLA or Hollywood -- any route you choose you are f*cked.

by Anonymousreply 51January 11, 2021 7:53 PM

It was just reported last week that the larger of the two homes that Danny Elfman and Bridget Fonda put up for sale in October has sold. These are in a gated area of Hancock Park referred to as Fremont Place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 11, 2021 8:00 PM

[quote] Well, I think it started with the very private, exclusive Wilshire Country Club (golf course) that was developed a little over 100 years ago. It sits sort of in the middle of Hancock Park. Then, most of these big mansions were built out from it during the 20s.

R42, I don't even see the comment you are responding to but Hancock Park was the original film colony it was in close proximity to all of the studios and all the stars had homes in that area. It was also close to downtown so many of the local bigwigs lived there. It was THE prestige area when Beverly Hills was wilderness, Hollywood was rank and file, and Malibu was Idaho.

by Anonymousreply 53January 11, 2021 8:03 PM

R52, I love what they did with that house. It's original and arty.

by Anonymousreply 54January 11, 2021 8:24 PM

R53 The comment at R42 was in reply to R39.

I agree with what you're saying about film folks, but really, I think the country club (built in 1919) is what spurred development in the area, and the houses built around it followed. Most of them appear to be dated in the 20s. OP's featured house was built in 1929. Nayar's house: 1927. Hammer's house, 1924. Elfman's house,1925.

As you can see from this photo at the Wilshire Country Club website, what is Hancock Park today was pretty much "wilderness" as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 11, 2021 8:29 PM

[quote] Over the years, I've also heard that some foreign embassies have their ambassador residence in Hancock Park

There are no embassies or ambassadors in Los Angeles. Embassies are always in the national capital.

by Anonymousreply 56January 12, 2021 2:05 AM

R56 Thanks for the correction. I guess I mean a home for a foreign country's consul general.

by Anonymousreply 57January 12, 2021 2:36 AM

Nice house from the outside. Needs a lot of updating inside. Nothing special, though the bedroom floor landing is cool.

by Anonymousreply 58January 12, 2021 2:47 AM

The Hammer house at R37 is rather nice, certainly a more pleasant place than the OP house for the same money. Someone made the mistake of trying to "lighten the place up" with bleached floors and by painting the wooden beams and stair balustrade white. All fixable. It's a better house architecturally: what you see on the exterior carries through much of the interior, and the period detailing is of fairly good quality (which isn't always the case in L.A.) without being overwhelmingly of a specific look that would scare off all the Moderns. The house connects with the gardens well (the pool and surrounding stone veneers are a bit too much - and not enough at the same time, evidently they ran out of veneer stone and just said "fuck it, we're done here," but again that's an easy fix. The rear garden the large windows, it's a very nice house with only a few focused changes and a better decoration scheme and better lighting.

The period blue tile bathroom is a prize, and the rooms are bright and pleasant. IT's really quite a nice house, much better than I was expecting. It just needs a few key period features restored and a better presentation.

by Anonymousreply 59January 12, 2021 11:26 AM

R56 I beg to differ. There are consulates all around the country. They have fewer services than an embassy in a nation's capital but there are indeed reps of foreign nations in various cities.

I've attached a list, there are a few consulates in Hancock Park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 12, 2021 5:11 PM

Differences between embassies and consulates.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61January 12, 2021 5:14 PM

One of the consul residences there is the British one. The local media mentioned this one time when William & Kate were in L.A. reporting that's where they were staying.

450 S. June

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62January 12, 2021 9:00 PM

r60 Repeating: There are no EMBASSIES or AMBASSADORS in Los Angeles. Do you have a reading comprehension issue?

by Anonymousreply 63January 12, 2021 9:44 PM

Sometimes I scan too quickly, R63.

You, however, have a civility issue.

by Anonymousreply 64January 13, 2021 4:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!