Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Laura Branigan's Masterpiece, "Self Control"

This song is such a classic and so is the extremely underrated music video. I had no idea William Friedkin directed it but it's not too surprising once you start watching it--some of the images recall movies like Dressed to Kill and (to some degree) Cruising. Apparently the video was a bit controversial when it was first released. Any other fans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2601/11/2021

HIlaria Baldwino would kill for those eyebrows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101/09/2021

LOL R1. Her eyebrows are not too thick but I guess thicker than the style now.

by Anonymousreply 201/09/2021

I've always loved this song and the video. Totally 80s.

by Anonymousreply 301/09/2021

What’s with all the black plastic bin liner bags everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 401/09/2021

We always sang this song as Elf Control.

by Anonymousreply 501/09/2021

R4, depicitng a gritty city in decay I think? Making it seem surreal but also not totally dissimilar to the real NYC of the time?

by Anonymousreply 601/09/2021

That opening shot of her was totally giving me Balthus vibes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 701/09/2021

Meh, her flashdance song is better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 801/09/2021

Fun fact: It's an Italian pop song first recorded by the singer Raf. Written by the same people who wrote "Gloria" (originally sung by Umberto Tozzi.)

I don't know how or why she had this Italian connection but it worked out well for her.

by Anonymousreply 901/09/2021

Of course this is Laura again stealing songs from Europe and exploiting the American mark for her own stardom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1001/09/2021

^market

by Anonymousreply 1101/09/2021

Hey Celine pulled the same shit.

by Anonymousreply 1201/09/2021

Gloria.

Original recording.

(The Trump family apparently loves this song!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2021

I absolutely adore her. And I am certain Raf would disagree that she stole anything and were quite happy with the royalties she generated for them.

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2021

I said, NIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2021

Op, you make a thread about her/this song every couple months.

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2021

r16, I have never posted a thread about her.

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2021

I love that video, r8. When I first saw Flashdance, I told my mom I wanted to work as a dancer in a bar like Mawby’s and my mom told me “good luck”. I didn’t realize there were no real non-stripper dancing on stage opportunities.

Plus I was a 12 year old boy at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2021

I remember the video, it was a big thing at the time that Friedkin directed it. It was edited or censored because of the orgy scene, it kind of reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut after watching the video again recently. In Friedkin's autobiography he mentioned that he was sent some music by some unknown named Prince who was a fan and wondered if he would be interested in directing a video of one of his songs....apparently Friedkin threw it in the trash. R4 I remember those trash bag streets, I figured they wanted wet streets and this was a low budget way to create the illusion...I may be wrong. I love the song and I like the video but I think the video could have been much better, maybe Friedkin needed some extra cash or maybe he was dating Laura.

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2021

G-d bless both you and your mother, r18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2021

That big ol' thing made me nervous.

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2021

R21. what?

by Anonymousreply 2201/10/2021

I definitely go through periods of obsessively watching that video. She is insanely beautiful at 3:20.

by Anonymousreply 2301/10/2021

The video shows you don't need big budgets to make videos interesting.

by Anonymousreply 2401/10/2021

I love LB!

by Anonymousreply 2501/10/2021

I like the extended version with the longer intro.

by Anonymousreply 2601/11/2021
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!