Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Laura Branigan's Masterpiece, "Self Control"

This song is such a classic and so is the extremely underrated music video. I had no idea William Friedkin directed it but it's not too surprising once you start watching it--some of the images recall movies like Dressed to Kill and (to some degree) Cruising. Apparently the video was a bit controversial when it was first released. Any other fans?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2021 6:41 AM

HIlaria Baldwino would kill for those eyebrows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2021 10:46 PM

LOL R1. Her eyebrows are not too thick but I guess thicker than the style now.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2021 10:47 PM

I've always loved this song and the video. Totally 80s.

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2021 10:50 PM

What’s with all the black plastic bin liner bags everywhere?

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2021 10:52 PM

We always sang this song as Elf Control.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2021 10:52 PM

R4, depicitng a gritty city in decay I think? Making it seem surreal but also not totally dissimilar to the real NYC of the time?

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2021 10:53 PM

That opening shot of her was totally giving me Balthus vibes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2021 10:56 PM

Meh, her flashdance song is better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2021 10:58 PM

Fun fact: It's an Italian pop song first recorded by the singer Raf. Written by the same people who wrote "Gloria" (originally sung by Umberto Tozzi.)

I don't know how or why she had this Italian connection but it worked out well for her.

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2021 10:58 PM

Of course this is Laura again stealing songs from Europe and exploiting the American mark for her own stardom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2021 10:59 PM

^market

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2021 11:01 PM

Hey Celine pulled the same shit.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2021 11:01 PM

Gloria.

Original recording.

(The Trump family apparently loves this song!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2021 11:26 PM

I absolutely adore her. And I am certain Raf would disagree that she stole anything and were quite happy with the royalties she generated for them.

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2021 11:33 PM

I said, NIGHT!

by Anonymousreply 15January 9, 2021 11:39 PM

Op, you make a thread about her/this song every couple months.

by Anonymousreply 16January 9, 2021 11:42 PM

r16, I have never posted a thread about her.

by Anonymousreply 17January 9, 2021 11:55 PM

I love that video, r8. When I first saw Flashdance, I told my mom I wanted to work as a dancer in a bar like Mawby’s and my mom told me “good luck”. I didn’t realize there were no real non-stripper dancing on stage opportunities.

Plus I was a 12 year old boy at the time.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2021 12:09 AM

I remember the video, it was a big thing at the time that Friedkin directed it. It was edited or censored because of the orgy scene, it kind of reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut after watching the video again recently. In Friedkin's autobiography he mentioned that he was sent some music by some unknown named Prince who was a fan and wondered if he would be interested in directing a video of one of his songs....apparently Friedkin threw it in the trash. R4 I remember those trash bag streets, I figured they wanted wet streets and this was a low budget way to create the illusion...I may be wrong. I love the song and I like the video but I think the video could have been much better, maybe Friedkin needed some extra cash or maybe he was dating Laura.

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2021 12:22 AM

G-d bless both you and your mother, r18.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2021 12:23 AM

That big ol' thing made me nervous.

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2021 8:13 AM

R21. what?

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2021 6:40 PM

I definitely go through periods of obsessively watching that video. She is insanely beautiful at 3:20.

by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2021 6:59 PM

The video shows you don't need big budgets to make videos interesting.

by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2021 7:08 PM

I love LB!

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2021 7:36 PM

I like the extended version with the longer intro.

by Anonymousreply 26January 11, 2021 8:08 PM

Kid in white showing how it's done.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2021 7:14 PM

I lived in Europe at the time this was released (1984) and the funny thing is that Raf's and her version were released almost simultaneously, with a month or less between each other. In some places, like Germany, Raf's version was even more popular - Europeans were really into Italo disco at the time and his version was more in that vein, while Laura had to rawkify it a bit for the American market.

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2021 7:19 PM

Self Control was her peak. Her best single. Her best album. I still enjoyed her follow-ups but she just couldn't seem to generate as much interest as Gloria or Self Control, and sadly, a number of her songs became bigger hits for other people - I Found Someone (Cher), Power of Love (Celine Dion) and like Gloria Estefan did in 1994, Laura covered Turn the Beat Around, but Gloria had the hit version. Michael Bolton had a hit with How Am I Supposed to Live Without You which was a Top 20 hit for Laura in 1983 but an even bigger hit for Bolton (who co-wrote it). The Power of Love was also a top 40 hit for Laura but Celine's version was an even bigger hit.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2021 7:21 PM

Er she can't dance. Moves like bumpity bump.

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2021 7:26 PM

I like Laura, but she always looked to me like a former waterpolo player turned drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2021 7:28 PM

Laura wasn't conventionally beautiful but she looked great in the Self Control video - perfect mix of lighting, makeup and styling.

by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2021 7:29 PM

R27 Did they just grab a bunch of people off the streets and say, "Hey! Wanna be a backup dancer for this song? You do? Okay - just get on stage and do whatever you want."

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2021 7:33 PM

^ Those crazy Japanese!^

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2021 7:35 PM

I was hoping for some great revelation at the end, like maybe the masked person was also Laura.

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2021 9:35 PM

Or is it that she has sex with the masked man which results in a doll?

by Anonymousreply 36February 9, 2021 3:17 AM

The video proved to be controversial, so shockingly steamy that MTV required some edits before it could air. What fascinates to this day is how demure it seems compared to most of today's videos. That, and how rare it is to see a video on any of the major music channels that addresses a woman's sexual thoughts. That's a key to how Branigan fit into the world of music at that time. Her image was never girlish or adolescent, though she was conventionally attractive. She was simply marketed as a woman with complex emotions. That seems unfathomable in today's marketplace.

by Anonymousreply 37February 9, 2021 3:20 AM

Was the Madame Alexander doll at the start and end of the video raped?

by Anonymousreply 38February 9, 2021 3:21 AM

R37, Hell nah! Eat some of dis wet ASS pussy

by Anonymousreply 39February 9, 2021 4:29 AM

I recommend her episode of Mobituaries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40February 9, 2021 6:34 AM

I saw Laura Brianigan once.

by Anonymousreply 41February 9, 2021 6:45 AM

Would she have had a different career if Madonna hadn’t shown up?

by Anonymousreply 42February 9, 2021 10:55 AM

One of the best songs of the '80s. 1984 was such a great year in pop music.

Masterpiece, indeed.

by Anonymousreply 43May 28, 2021 4:24 AM

Judging by the number of covers it has, it could be considered one of the more remarkable songs of the era.

by Anonymousreply 44May 28, 2021 4:49 AM

Fantastic song! Never gets old. I can listen to it all the time.

by Anonymousreply 45May 28, 2021 6:08 AM

Agree r45. That song still sounds great, it's aged very well. Unlike many other songs from that same time period.

by Anonymousreply 46May 28, 2021 6:33 AM

Laura died much too young. I miss her.

by Anonymousreply 47May 28, 2021 6:41 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!