Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Theatre Gossip #410: More Sex, Please, We're American

Or, Toujours Bajour!

by Anonymousreply 602January 30, 2021 11:34 PM

There ARE a few good numbers in "Bajour" -- Nancy Dussault sounds like she's stealing the show with this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2021 10:35 PM

Going back to the last thread, now that I can post -- thanks heaps to the poster who found the Angela Lansbury Dance Break "Together Wherever We Go." I had no idea it had ever been written into the show. It gives a nice glimpse of the performer Rose could have been. I wonder why all the major revivals of Gypsy since have (I think...) left it out. You don't have to be a Gwen Verdon to pull it off, and it could surely be re-choreographed to suit the dance skills of whoever's playing Rose.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2021 10:45 PM

As the last thread was wrapping up, there was talk about Tommy Tune, including the surprising to me claim about much of the cast of NINE coming up with staging/choreography. Could anyone elaborate or share some info. about MY ONE AND ONLY (I always thought the trouble stopped when it opened)?

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2021 10:56 PM

I know no one here will miss it (I certainly won't), but Mean Girls closing is kinda shocking. It was a hit. Maybe not a Hamilton or Book Of Mormon-level hit, but it had found its audience and I don’t believe it ever had a money-losing week. What else is going to go away?

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2021 11:00 PM

"Nine" had a great staging, but not that much actual dancing. Anita Morris' body moves were staged (and she was just great) and probably some moves by Liliane Montevecchi in "Nine" she probably told Tune about from the Folies Bergere, but I mostly remember some stuff with tambourines and maybe some tarantella movement during "Be Italian" number. Plus Tune staged movement throughout the show, but otherwise, not a big dance show at all. But an incredible staging!

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2021 11:01 PM

I'm sure Miss Medford could have danced up an absolute *storm*, r2!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2021 11:02 PM

Danny Burstein’s piece talks about the two of them being under stress the past five years. What is he referring to?

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2021 11:05 PM

Anita Morris was married to choreographer Grover Dale and it's well known that he staged A Call from the Vatican.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2021 11:08 PM

Max Von Essen is so lucky. He’ll be playing newly elected Senator Jon Ossof in every biopic and drama in the pipeline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2021 11:08 PM

R6 Sounds terrible. Flat and dreary. A high school production could do it better. Saw Bernadette Peters and Tammy Blanchard in a Broadway revival directed by Sam (American Beauty) Mendes. It was definitive!

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2021 11:13 PM

Isn’t Ossoff a pocket gay? Von Essen is too beefy.

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2021 11:23 PM

R11, I think Ossoff has a gf. Not that that means anything but just sayin'.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2021 11:25 PM

R10. I think that’s always the point, when people post Medford’s studio recording of Gypsy. I tried listening to it once—didn’t last more than 2 minutes. It’s such a head-scratcher—why did anyone think this was a good idea?

by Anonymousreply 13January 10, 2021 12:45 AM

I can only imagine that Kay Medford was a last minute replacement. Those UK studio cast recordings usually had British TV stars in the leads. Beryl Reid did a number of them, for example. Medford was probably in the right place at the right time, or... the wrong place, depending on your opinion...

by Anonymousreply 14January 10, 2021 12:59 AM

Medford repeated her Broadway role of Fanny's mother, Rose, in "Funny Girl" in London and in the film. So someone got the idea to have her record another musical Rose in another Jule Styne musical.

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2021 1:06 AM

But Medford did not suddenly have name value in the UK. The show didn't even last long over there thanks to Streisand's pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 16January 10, 2021 1:13 AM

Kay was no Florence Henderson.

by Anonymousreply 17January 10, 2021 1:27 AM

Watching Lazarus....this is one incredibly well done recording of a musical. The musical still does not work but it looks and sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 18January 10, 2021 1:29 AM

Watching Lazarus....this is one incredibly well done recording of a musical. The musical still does not work but it looks and sounds great.

by Anonymousreply 19January 10, 2021 1:29 AM

by Anonymousreply 20January 10, 2021 1:30 AM

What are you watching?

by Anonymousreply 21January 10, 2021 1:32 AM

R16 I never said that Kay had name value, and indeed many of the leads on those British studio casts of the '60s were nobodies---ever hear the Music for Pleasure "Funny Girl" starring Miss Julie Dawn?

by Anonymousreply 22January 10, 2021 1:32 AM

People play/post Medford's Gypsy recording in the same spirit that Ethel used to play Roz Russel's unedited first vocal takes of Gypsy for the amusement of her party guests.

by Anonymousreply 23January 10, 2021 1:39 AM

Here's a piece on those EMI/Music For Pleasure Studio Cast albums. They often featured notable performers, such as Patricia Routledge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24January 10, 2021 1:42 AM

R24 Patricia Routledge was actually not much of a draw in the '60s when she recorded those albums for Music for Pleasure. And I was not referring exclusively to Music for Pleasure in my comments above; there were plenty of other labels issuing British studio-cast show recordings with non-famous singers.

by Anonymousreply 25January 10, 2021 1:49 AM

Julie Dawn Cole, r22?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26January 10, 2021 1:56 AM

I'm sure that, on stage, Key Medford might have made a fairly good Rose dramatically speaking, but she was never a songbird and no matter how great she would have been in the role, it makes for a lousy recording. The same happened with Tyne Daly, whom I saw and loved in the role, but she wasn't much of a singer and the recording made it even more obvious than when you were seeing her on stage. I don't remember minding it as I was watching her., but when all you have is the voice and none of the actual acting, it's a painful experience.

by Anonymousreply 27January 10, 2021 1:56 AM

R26 Yes, I used to wonder if "Funny Girl" Julie Dawn was "Willy Wonka"'s Julie Dawn Cole. But I believe they're not the same lady.

by Anonymousreply 28January 10, 2021 1:58 AM

I've always had the impression from TV appearances that Jon Ossoff is quite tall, guessing 6'? Maybe it's just his lean frame and long neck that give the illusion.

I know Max is not particularly tall, maybe 5'10".

by Anonymousreply 29January 10, 2021 1:59 AM

[quote]ever hear the Music for Pleasure "Funny Girl" starring Miss Julie Dawn?

Any relation?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 10, 2021 2:01 AM

You saw Max outside of a sling?

by Anonymousreply 31January 10, 2021 2:01 AM

A slice of life that probably no one will be interested in: I saw the original production of "Gypsy" twice, first at the Broadway in 1959, then at the Imperial in 1960. The second visit was a special Labor Day matinee, and in attendance, along with me and my family, was none other than Kay Medford, then appearing in "Bye Bye Birdie" across the street. Kay autographed my "Gypsy" Playbill!

by Anonymousreply 32January 10, 2021 2:07 AM

Did anyone see Merman's understudy in GYPSY? I believe the actress died young.

by Anonymousreply 33January 10, 2021 2:11 AM

Who's had Max Crumm?! I want Max Crumm!

by Anonymousreply 34January 10, 2021 2:11 AM

Merman's standby was Jane Romano. Gypsy was her last Broadway credit. She was a replacement Cleo in Most Happy Fella, and played Jane in Body Beautiful. She died in 1962 at the age of 32.

by Anonymousreply 35January 10, 2021 2:21 AM

Recently deceased Peg Murray, who created the role of Miss Cratchitt and went on to play Tessie Tura, was Ethel's understudy later in the run. Romano did go on; don't know if Peg ever did.

by Anonymousreply 36January 10, 2021 2:23 AM

I've stood next to MVE and think R29 is on the nose.

by Anonymousreply 37January 10, 2021 2:24 AM

Oh and Jon Ossoff is definitely married, Sorry, boys!

You might also be shocked to learn he's only 33, the youngest senator to be elected since.....Joe Biden, who was 29 when he was elected and 30 when sworn in.

Is Max von Essen too old to play 33?

by Anonymousreply 38January 10, 2021 2:30 AM

Julie Dawn (-Cole) sang well through the 1950s; she was into her 40s when she recorded "Funny Girl" and her voice wasn't up to it. She later hosted a couple of successful BBC radio programs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 10, 2021 2:31 AM

[quote]Is Max von Essen too old to play 33?

He turns 47 on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 40January 10, 2021 2:34 AM

Gavin Creel played 19 when he was pushing 40.

by Anonymousreply 41January 10, 2021 2:36 AM

WHET Gavin Creel?

by Anonymousreply 42January 10, 2021 2:39 AM

She's no Miss Carole Carr, r39.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43January 10, 2021 2:44 AM

There is no one more boring onstage than Gavin Creel. His career is a real head scratcher...

by Anonymousreply 44January 10, 2021 2:45 AM

R27 Wasn't Tyne sick when they recorded that version?

by Anonymousreply 45January 10, 2021 3:01 AM

Max Crumm has a really sexy, furry bod.

by Anonymousreply 46January 10, 2021 3:04 AM

Tell more r46

by Anonymousreply 47January 10, 2021 3:05 AM

The Brits should have had Miss Kathy Kirby record the Funny Girl score.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 10, 2021 3:09 AM

Peg Murray was also the original Kost in Cabaret.

by Anonymousreply 49January 10, 2021 3:12 AM

Peg Murray was also the original Kost in Cabaret

by Anonymousreply 50January 10, 2021 3:13 AM

R27, that comparison is a big stretch. Even on a bad day, Tyne Daly has a FAR better singing voice than Kay Medford did. As someone above mentioned, Tyne was ill for the GYPSY recording. I'm not saying she ever had a great voice, but she sounds a lot better on her recordings of CALL ME MADAM and ON THE TOWN.

by Anonymousreply 51January 10, 2021 3:15 AM

Someone posted video of the concert of "Call Me Madam" a while back. Tyne didn't so hot.

by Anonymousreply 52January 10, 2021 3:17 AM

*didn't sound so hot

by Anonymousreply 53January 10, 2021 3:17 AM

You may think Tyne didn't sound so hot in CALL ME MADAM, but as I said, she's still a far better singer with a far better voice than Kay Medford was.

by Anonymousreply 54January 10, 2021 3:25 AM

[quote]Peg Murray was also the original Kost in Cabaret

For which she won a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 55January 10, 2021 3:30 AM

In the Lansbury Gypsy, Mary Louise Wilson brilliantly played Tessie Tura but also played Miss Cratchit in Act I. Was the casting not done like that originally? I noted a poster upthread said that Peg Murray played the original Miss Cratchit.

Do you imagine Mary Louise Wilson and Peg Murray often ran into each other at auditions? Oh, and Rae Allen was probably there as well.

by Anonymousreply 56January 10, 2021 3:35 AM

Don't forget Marilyn Cooper!

by Anonymousreply 57January 10, 2021 3:36 AM

How's that for a "Let's Be ..." thread: Let's be auditions for a not-quite golden age of Broadway production.

by Anonymousreply 58January 10, 2021 3:37 AM

Mary Louise Wilson did not play Miss Cratchett, that was Gloria Rossi who played Mazeppa. Wilson was the understudy for Lansbury and in LA, thee was such demand for the matinees that she did a couple of Thursday matinees as the announced Rose.

by Anonymousreply 59January 10, 2021 3:45 AM

Liza should have played Mama Rose. It would have been amazing.

by Anonymousreply 60January 10, 2021 5:22 AM

There's probably zero chance that the West Side Story revival would be one of the returning productions whenever Broadway reopens right? I know it was pretty divisive, but I was still interested in seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 61January 10, 2021 8:59 AM

[quote] Liza should have played Mama Rose. It would have been amazing.

If her manic and over-the-top (and coke-fueled?) concert renditions of “Some People” are any indication, I’ll pass.

Now if Judy could have made the movie, on the other hand...preferably with a better director.

by Anonymousreply 62January 10, 2021 9:36 AM

I suspect Kay Medford worked cheap in those days.

by Anonymousreply 63January 10, 2021 1:55 PM

Carmen Cusack...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64January 10, 2021 3:13 PM

Lorna played Rose and she was quite good. Her vocals are great. The production was shit but she was terrific and Rose’s Turn was scary when she cried out MAMA! I know, Mary!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 65January 10, 2021 3:23 PM

I’m in the middle of watching a stream of the David Bowie/Enda Walsh/Ivo van Hove ‘Lazarus’, which I missed at NYTW.

Lord, what a hot mess.

by Anonymousreply 66January 10, 2021 3:48 PM

I have been reading Bob Avian's autiobio and he mentions his time in Funny Girl. He says Carol Haney committed suicide, which is the first time I've heard that. Does he know something we don't or is he just confusing her with someone else?

by Anonymousreply 67January 10, 2021 6:49 PM

Carol Haney died six weeks after the opening of "Funny Girl" in 1964. The official cause was pneumonia, complicated by diabetes and alcoholism.

by Anonymousreply 68January 10, 2021 7:00 PM

I'm waiting for the 1pm stream of Lazarus to start and the sound keeps cutting out when I cast it to my TV which means I have to watch the fucking thing on my laptop. I HATE that.

by Anonymousreply 69January 10, 2021 8:00 PM

Hot Mess should be on Ivon Von Hoes tombstone.

by Anonymousreply 70January 10, 2021 8:20 PM

Goddamn it, this thing is fucking atrocious.

by Anonymousreply 71January 10, 2021 8:42 PM

I'm throwing in the towel with 42 min to go. At least the money will go to a good cause.

by Anonymousreply 72January 10, 2021 9:18 PM

I watched LAZARUS the other night and made it all the way to the end, hoping that at some point it would make some sense. WRONG.

It's really quite abysmal and I am scratching my head over the good reviews it received.

by Anonymousreply 73January 10, 2021 9:28 PM

Did it receive good reviews? My memory is that it got bad reviews in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 74January 10, 2021 9:34 PM

Early Shirl...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 10, 2021 9:55 PM

There is no one more boring onstage than Gavin Creel. His career is a real head scratcher...

More likely a real ball scratcher.

by Anonymousreply 76January 10, 2021 11:15 PM

Ben Brantley was fairly positive about LAZARUS in the NYT (far more than it deserves).

I remember reading other reviews along the same lines. Not raves, but making it sound intriguing overall. I bet noone understood a single fucking thing about it, but - hey! it's Bowie and van Hove, so it must be good.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 10, 2021 11:50 PM

I enjoyed Lazarus in Amsterdam. The male lead could ‘t sing but the female lead was fabulous and one of the supporting actors was sex on a stick.

by Anonymousreply 78January 10, 2021 11:54 PM

Here’s the Dutch cast performing “Absolute Beginners”:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79January 10, 2021 11:58 PM

Maureen's Rose's Turn...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80January 11, 2021 12:12 AM

Sarah Jessica Parker is going to start shooting Sex and the City reboot this Spring for at least 3 mos. I hope Plaza Suite still plans on reopening.

by Anonymousreply 81January 11, 2021 12:54 AM

Papi a bit chunky on SVU this week.

by Anonymousreply 82January 11, 2021 2:07 AM

I like Papi chunky. He is neat.

by Anonymousreply 83January 11, 2021 6:46 AM

I would put Lazarus up there with the David Byrne Public Theater musical of Joan of Arc in terms of the worst things I have ever seen onstage. I also had no idea how many Bowie catalog songs were in it. I thought it was mostly new stuff he'd written expressly for the show. The catalog songs made zero sense in the story (not that the story itself made much sense).

by Anonymousreply 84January 11, 2021 12:46 PM

tyne was wretched the nite i saw her in Gypsy....she raced thru it. bummer.

by Anonymousreply 85January 11, 2021 12:58 PM

What the FUCK is going on with DL? I can't get this new theater thread to stay in my list of threads in which I've participated, AND sometimes no thumbnail image appears for URLs linked to in post, AND sometimes when I hover over an [R86] or whatever in a post, I can't see the post that's being quoted. WHAT IS HAPPENING????

by Anonymousreply 86January 11, 2021 2:39 PM

I'm not having exactly the same issues, but I did have trouble getting the thread to go into my participation list. It took three or four manual tries before it would go in, but since then it has stayed in. Good luck, R86.

by Anonymousreply 87January 11, 2021 2:43 PM

Thanks, R87. I think it just worked, after my last comment.

by Anonymousreply 88January 11, 2021 2:47 PM

Having the same problem. Thanks for the encouragement,

by Anonymousreply 89January 11, 2021 5:00 PM

and not to sidetrack this thread, but DL is also behaving more erratically than ever on mobile (i.e., safari on iPhone)

by Anonymousreply 90January 11, 2021 5:14 PM

Yeah, something bad is definitely up with DL. I hope they fix it soon, otherwise they won't be getting any more money from me.

by Anonymousreply 91January 11, 2021 7:44 PM

It’s been problematic on iPhone for years now.

by Anonymousreply 92January 11, 2021 10:43 PM

Same here. I had the same issue on the last Theatre thread. The issue happened with several other threads, too, so perhaps it's a coincidence that two of those happen to be this thread and #409.

Did anyone see FOSSE? Was it considered a success at the time -- artistically/financially? Was Gwen involved at all? It was a little before her death.

by Anonymousreply 93January 12, 2021 1:17 AM

Fosse wasn’t great. It was polished and presentable but didn’t entirely work. Same can be said for Dancin’ but that show was never dull. Fosse appealed to foreign tourists who don’t speak English which is why it had a long run.

by Anonymousreply 94January 12, 2021 3:27 AM

I also found Fosse dull as fuck. I also felt like they chose all the wrong numbers to spotlight his talent. Fuck "Mr. Bojangles" and "Bye Bye Blackbird," show me something exciting, show me why Fosse was exciting.

by Anonymousreply 95January 12, 2021 7:45 AM

The only part of “Fosse” I hated were the endless slow motion transitions.

Seeing the more obscure dances was one of its pluses.

by Anonymousreply 96January 12, 2021 11:14 AM

Fosse was more museum-y than Dancin. The former was a retrospective-tribute done by others so it didn’t have the spark of, say, Jerome Robbins Broadway done by the master himself, dick though he was. Thank goodness Robbins was around to do it himself.

Wasn’t Dancin all new material created for the show?

by Anonymousreply 97January 12, 2021 11:54 AM

Dancin’ was all new. I Wanna Be A Dancin Man and Sing Sing Sing were brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 98January 12, 2021 12:42 PM

This thread and DL and general are still totally fucked up, I see. I still can't get this thread to stick in my "followed" list, even if I click on the eye, and no matter how many times I contribute to the thread. Again, I sure hope they fix this soon or I will not contribute money to the site ever again, and if I even continue to visit it, I'll do so as a freeloader.

by Anonymousreply 99January 12, 2021 3:36 PM

I cried because I had no shoes...

by Anonymousreply 100January 12, 2021 4:13 PM

Late Fall? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 12, 2021 4:28 PM

Who will play Fauci in the inevitable: "Pandemic! The Musical"?

by Anonymousreply 102January 12, 2021 4:30 PM

If it's not Denis O'Hare r102, I ain't going.

by Anonymousreply 103January 12, 2021 4:40 PM

R99 Nobody really cares, love.

by Anonymousreply 104January 12, 2021 6:05 PM

Kelli O'Hara, no doubt, r102.

by Anonymousreply 105January 12, 2021 6:07 PM

Adam Feldman has been furloughed from Time Out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 12, 2021 6:33 PM

Well, with NO theater to review, what can be expected? He's very lucky if he's been paid the past 9 months.

by Anonymousreply 107January 12, 2021 6:34 PM

Speaking of critics, Ben Brantley says "A critic is a mirror, not a shaper":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 12, 2021 6:37 PM

^ Deluded.

by Anonymousreply 109January 12, 2021 6:40 PM

If I were Ben, I’d avoid mirrors...

by Anonymousreply 110January 12, 2021 6:47 PM

Brantley has a face for criticism.

by Anonymousreply 111January 12, 2021 7:17 PM

[quote]Speaking of critics, Ben Brantley says "A critic is a mirror, not a shaper"

Not a face I would want to see when I look at a mirror.

by Anonymousreply 112January 12, 2021 7:18 PM

[quote]Not a face I would want to see when I look at a mirror.

Or when you peek over the wall of a glory hole.

by Anonymousreply 113January 12, 2021 7:49 PM

Which is why you NEVER, EVER do that r113.

by Anonymousreply 114January 12, 2021 7:51 PM

lol, r114

by Anonymousreply 115January 12, 2021 7:53 PM

I always presume that's the kind of face that would be on the other side, so can't ever do a glory hole.

by Anonymousreply 116January 12, 2021 8:11 PM

If you really want to get the full blast of that face, try watching the doc "Show Business." You ain't seen nothin' til you get a gander at Brantley's yellowed horse choppers in HD.

by Anonymousreply 117January 12, 2021 11:04 PM

Isn’t there some kind of work Brantley could have done so he’s not so ugly?

by Anonymousreply 118January 13, 2021 3:28 AM

Wonder what Adam will do for $$?

by Anonymousreply 119January 13, 2021 12:34 PM

Brantley was a total waste for The Times. In all his writings, there is nothing -- NOTHING -- that reaches the legacy of Kerr and Rich. He really was just a B-, but he managed to hold on because his writing did manage to convince you that he knew what he was writing about, but there was no insight, no passion, no wit or interesting thinking. It was Bryn Mawr book reports. Why the Times let this go on forever is just bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 120January 13, 2021 3:19 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with r120. His taste (questionable, but that's subjective, of course) notwithstanding, his tone, style and standards were all weak and limited. Did his mediocrity reflect a mediocre era in theater, or vice versa. Because for all his bullshit about being a mirror not a shaper, it's absolutely untrue. Every NY producer chose creative teams with an eye towards their track record with Brantley.

by Anonymousreply 121January 13, 2021 4:22 PM

Really, R120? I see no major difference in the general level and style of Rich's writing as compared to Brantley's. Kerr was a different story, as that was a very different time.

by Anonymousreply 122January 13, 2021 4:23 PM

Rich could make me want to see a show. Brantley, never. Rich's writing was evocative enough to excite a reader. And Brantley's reviews bored me, an avid theatergoer, every time.

by Anonymousreply 123January 13, 2021 4:25 PM

Brantley actually discouraged me from seeing shows he raved about. Such a turn-off.

by Anonymousreply 124January 13, 2021 6:25 PM

[quote]Rich could make me want to see a show. Brantley, never.

[quote]Brantley actually discouraged me from seeing shows he raved about. Such a turn-off.

These comments strike me as nasty just for the sake of nastiness, and pretty dumb. Even if you hated Brantley's writing style AND felt he had terrible taste, I should think at least some of his rave reviews would have made you want to see those shows if only for his descriptions of them, just as I could tell from reading John Simon whether or not I might be interested in seeing the show he was reviewing even though I hated his writing (for obvious reasons).

by Anonymousreply 125January 13, 2021 7:13 PM

Considering Brantley is gay, why was he always so tough and cynical on gay-themed plays? It always really bothered me.

by Anonymousreply 126January 13, 2021 8:33 PM

Because most gay themed plays are dreadful, R126?

by Anonymousreply 127January 13, 2021 8:40 PM

My distrust of Brantley's taste came from long years of disappointment in the theatre he wagged his tongue over, r125. I don't know why you'd characterize that as a "nasty" reaction.

by Anonymousreply 128January 13, 2021 9:30 PM

R128, because (if I may repeat myself), I should think you'd be able to make a judgment on whether or not you'd like a show based on Brantley's description of it -- not to mention your knowledge of the cast, the playwright, the production team, and also not to mention the reaction of other reviewers -- even if you think Brantley had terrible taste and was a bad writer. So to say that Brantley's raving about a show would actually discourage you from seeing it, or that no Brantley review could ever make you want to see a show, strikes me as nasty and silly. That's my opinion of your comment(s), and I'm sticking to it.

by Anonymousreply 129January 13, 2021 9:58 PM

Critic's Choice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 13, 2021 10:42 PM

r129, I respect your right to disagree with me and my method of choosing what shows I see. And, forgive me, but I didn't mean I'd NEVER see any show Brantley raved about. Of course, I use other criteria.

But again, I don't understand why you would judge my actions as "nasty."

by Anonymousreply 131January 13, 2021 11:10 PM

I had a dream last night with Anita Gillette in it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 13, 2021 11:52 PM

Brantley constantly tried to make an event out of EVERY revival of EVERY Horton Foote play and they were all turgid and boring, and he would wax on and on and on....It was bizarre. I totally agree with r123. When Rich wrote a positive review, it engaged you in a way that made you want to see the show and be apart of the conversation about it. That didn't happen once with Brantley. Not once. It happened several times with Rich.

by Anonymousreply 133January 14, 2021 12:21 AM

[quote]When Rich wrote a positive review, it engaged you in a way that made you want to see the show and be apart of the conversation about it. That didn't happen once with Brantley. Not once. It happened several times with Rich.

Really? Never???? NOT ONCE?????!!!!!

Ridiculous exaggerations and gross generalizations are the province of simple minded people who feel they have to paint everything in black and white, when there are VERY few if any things in this world that can be correctly categorized that way -- certainly not opinions on theater and theater criticism, for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 134January 14, 2021 12:51 AM

Since the thread on They're Playing Our Song seems to have died, I'm going to rerun a comment I made:

It's interesting to consider the difference between the Tony Awards in 1979 and how things would have gone 40 years later. Hell yes, Whorehouse and TPOS would have gotten nominations for Best Score. They'd likely have given a special award to Eubie Blake rather than nominate him and others for Best Original Score (did he write anything new for Eubie!?). The roles of Ed Earl and especially Miss Mona in Whorehouse would be considered lead, not featured (and who knows, maybe you could get 1-2 more nominees from that show, like the actors playing Watchdog and the governor or the actress playing Jewel). Among Turpin, Anthony, Johanna and maybe even Toby, Sweeney Todd would also have been guaranteed at least one nomination in the featured actors category.

by Anonymousreply 135January 14, 2021 1:01 AM

[quote]Since the thread on They're Playing Our Song seems to have died,

It took long enough. More than 500 posts on a thread about a mediocre late '70s musical that I forgot about before I left the theater.

by Anonymousreply 136January 14, 2021 1:04 AM

I believe we were celebrating its mediocrity, r136.

by Anonymousreply 137January 14, 2021 2:08 AM

R129, so you say that someone should be able to judge whether or not to see a show based on Brantley's description, but claim that R124 is being nasty for saying that he did just that..

It is funny, but over the years I have talked to a number of people who avoided the shows Brantley raved about. There have always been critics that people disagreed with, but Brantley really is in another category. It was like his values were at odds with those of people who love theater.

by Anonymousreply 138January 14, 2021 2:09 AM

Thank you, r138!

by Anonymousreply 139January 14, 2021 2:11 AM

withonelook is in overdrive. And r125 is an ass.

by Anonymousreply 140January 14, 2021 2:26 AM

Natasha's Clowns...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 14, 2021 2:48 AM

DREAM!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142January 14, 2021 2:50 AM

Who has Lesley Ann Warren stories. Apparently she was a terror at Dream

by Anonymousreply 143January 14, 2021 2:55 AM

[quote]It is funny, but over the years I have talked to a number of people who avoided the shows Brantley raved about. There have always been critics that people disagreed with, but Brantley really is in another category. It was like his values were at odds with those of people who love theater.

I don't want to spend the time, because I don't care about the issue that much, to do a survey of Brantley's reviews, but I'm fairly certain that if you looked up his reviews of some of the shows that were the most highly regarded among critics and audiences in general during his tenure at the NY Times, there would be many Brantley raves among those. And if you did it from the other direction, and were easily able to look up some of the greatest raves among Brantley's reviews, I'm pretty sure you would find many of them were for shows that were also highly praised by other critics.

So, although I frequently disagreed with Brantley (as, for example, in his very positive assessment of plays by Horton Foote), I still think your statements that "Brantley really is in another category" and "It was like his values were at odds with those of people who love theater" are, indeed, pretty ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 144January 14, 2021 3:55 AM

For some reason that I can’t quite explain, I remember back when I was a graduate student that BB’s review of the final part of The Coast of Utopia left a huge impression.

And in defence of BB, he wasn’t always that exciting a writer, but his reviews were consistently well-reasoned summaries, even if I was rarely of the same opinion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145January 14, 2021 5:23 AM

[quote] consistently well-reasoned summaries

That’s the problem right there.

by Anonymousreply 146January 14, 2021 12:22 PM

You're the problem right there.

by Anonymousreply 147January 14, 2021 2:14 PM

R143 I remember Lesley Ann Warren being mentioned as a possible Roxie Hart but her reputation was so bad during Dream that she was never seriously considered and that’s too bad because she would have been great.

by Anonymousreply 148January 14, 2021 3:13 PM

R148, yes. It's very sad that Warren became SO difficult at some point in her career, as she was so talented. From all reports, she was an absolute horror during DREAM -- so much so that I remember someone telling me her behavior was responsible for Scott Wise leaving the production. I wonder what was behind that. Insecurity? Or just plain mental illness?

by Anonymousreply 149January 14, 2021 3:18 PM

r142. - Susan Misner at 11:15 really shows Lesley Ann (with her unflattering heels) how it's done. She's sensational. I first became aware of her with her two very diverse performances on Law & Order and Law & Order CI. I was impressed with her as an actress long before I found out she was a superb dancer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150January 14, 2021 4:19 PM

I could hunt around, but why bother -- what were some of Lesley's horrors during DREAM?

by Anonymousreply 151January 14, 2021 4:52 PM

Miss Greene...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152January 14, 2021 5:26 PM

Mary! Wow, there's some Brantley apologists on this thread. WTF? If you feel you're correct, post a link to a review of Brantley's that reaches the standard of Rich or Kerr. Good luck...People still quote the opening line to Rich's "March of The Falsettos" review or his "Dreamgirls" review. When he wrote with clarity and passion, something necessary, important and somewhat wonderful happened. That never happened with a Brantley review. Never.

by Anonymousreply 153January 14, 2021 6:11 PM

I only know Susan Misner from "The Americans" (she was Stan's wife) and "Nashville." I had no idea she was a dancer.

by Anonymousreply 154January 14, 2021 6:30 PM

She's in CHICAGO and she played Joan McCracken in FOSSE/VERDON, r154.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 14, 2021 6:39 PM

I'm loving what withonelook has been adding. Miss Cook and *that* voice...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156January 14, 2021 6:41 PM

I'm amazed at the high opinions of Kerr here. On past threads, he was vilified as a stuffy, homophobic old poop who hated FOLLIES. I for one thought he was a brilliant writer, especially considering the little amount of time he had to craft a review.

As for Brantley, I thought he was a decent writer, but I hated how he would sometime obsess on a specific aspect of a performance (was it Eileen Atkins' knee he loved?) that would exclude anyone not sitting in the first five rows.

by Anonymousreply 157January 14, 2021 6:43 PM

Whenever I think of Walter Kerr I remember David Niven in Please Don't Eat the Daisies getting slapped hard in the face at Sardi's by Janis Paige. And how mean he was to Doris Day who was only trying to make a nice country home for him.

by Anonymousreply 158January 14, 2021 6:58 PM

WithOneLook deserves a Kennedy Center Honors for posting that Barbara Cook clip. Heavenly to listen to...

by Anonymousreply 159January 14, 2021 7:00 PM

Still waiting for that Brantley link...

by Anonymousreply 160January 14, 2021 7:21 PM

I am second to no one in my love for Barbara Cook (I know, Mary!), but Betty Buckley is far superior (both singing and acting) in her press reel video performing that same song. There’s no passion in Babs’ version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161January 14, 2021 7:37 PM

Up...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 14, 2021 7:48 PM

R159. More deserving than Debbie Allen?

by Anonymousreply 163January 14, 2021 8:07 PM

Ouch, r147. You really got me.

by Anonymousreply 164January 14, 2021 8:11 PM

R153 / R160, in this case I would say it's the accuser who has the burden of proof, so I have no intention of spending my time to find individual reviews by Brantley that I feel were well written, compelling theater criticism. But I did find the following, which includes an interview with Brantley by Jesse Green, plus -- at the end -- links to multiple Brantley reviews, so you and/or others can care to go through and sample those if you care to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 14, 2021 8:16 PM

Um, r165, let me get this straight. You have to find that piece of propaganda where of course Jesse had no choice to suck up to Brantley, and you use that as evidence, but also say you don't have the time to search? That's because there is nothing to search for. Since Brantley's retirement, there hasn't been one article about his work, his legacy, his era from anyone but The Times. Google "Frank Rich retires..." and see what you find.

by Anonymousreply 166January 14, 2021 9:04 PM

WTF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167January 14, 2021 10:05 PM

I love Betty, but that's....scary.

by Anonymousreply 168January 14, 2021 10:07 PM

And sad.

by Anonymousreply 169January 14, 2021 10:39 PM

Miss Andrea Martin...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170January 15, 2021 3:25 PM

I still believe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171January 15, 2021 3:42 PM

I watched The Prom last night. It was even worse than I imagined. Jesus fucking Christ. It actually infuriated me. I haven't heard such a bad score since High Fidelity (though from the excerpts I've listened to from Mean Girls, I would imagine that would qualify if I heard it in full). Fuck, those songs were AWFUL.

But christ, what a nauseating mouthful of pure, unadulterated saccharine. And everyone was terrible (outside of the lesbian chick, who wasn't bad). Ryan Murphy can't direct to save his life. And Meryl needs to start saying "No" more often. She's in danger of becoming DeNiro. I hated, hated, hated it.

The only positive thing I will say is that I didn't get the brouhaha over James Corden's "gayface" performance. I actually thought he gave a measured portrayal of what was really just a queeny actor. Hell, I've seen Brooks Ashmanskas be more nelly in real life. And Corden's co-star Kevin Chamberlin has made a career of playing characters 10x worse. I wasn't offended at all by anything he did. Of course I was too busy gagging over everything else.

by Anonymousreply 172January 15, 2021 5:25 PM

Lazarus is just as bad. Fuck, when listing bad directors always start with mother fucking Von Hoe.

by Anonymousreply 173January 15, 2021 5:27 PM

Von Hoe could ruin a wet dream.

by Anonymousreply 174January 15, 2021 5:46 PM

One of only a handful of occasions where I saw the show literally stop. Happy Birthday, Andrea Martin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175January 15, 2021 5:46 PM

Thanks R175. That was great to see again.

by Anonymousreply 176January 15, 2021 8:24 PM

One buttock...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177January 15, 2021 8:48 PM

So who's going to write the score to Trump: The Opera?

by Anonymousreply 178January 16, 2021 4:04 AM

Yes! How soon before Trump; The Opera? The mini-series? The 2 part Broadway play?

I know it will all happen but I think we need several years of relief first. And how do you make any of it more theatrical than it actually was?

by Anonymousreply 179January 16, 2021 4:10 AM

[quote]But christ, what a nauseating mouthful of pure, unadulterated saccharine.

There are a few moments in THE PROM -- the movie version, anyway -- that I'm sure many people would agree are "saccharine," but they are MORE than balanced by all that humor, snark, and satire. So the fact that your main impression of the movie is that it's "saccharine" strikes me as extremely freaking weird and makes me wonder if you somehow saw some alternate version.

by Anonymousreply 180January 16, 2021 4:14 AM

R180 Playing something 'knowing', does not make it a true moment.

by Anonymousreply 181January 16, 2021 5:26 AM

[quote] they are MORE than balanced by all that humor, snark, and satire.

That "humor, snark and satire" are as toothless as the score. You must be one of those flyovers who think theater begins and ends with Dear Evan Hansen.

by Anonymousreply 182January 16, 2021 7:07 AM

[quote] I hated, hated, hated it.

I enjoyed, enjoyed, enjoyed it.

by Anonymousreply 183January 16, 2021 8:50 AM

The below-mediocrity of that score - [italic]those lyrics![/italic] - is impossible to defend. Pedestrian, prosaic, and clunky, wrongly accented rhymes.

by Anonymousreply 184January 16, 2021 12:44 PM

Clips from the only complete video of the Broadway production of "They're Playing Our Song," Imperial Theater, 1980, with replacements Tony Roberts and Stockard Channing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185January 16, 2021 6:34 PM

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186January 16, 2021 7:56 PM

I would love to see that entire TPOS vid. Stockard and Tony are cute together.

by Anonymousreply 187January 16, 2021 8:02 PM

R187 They were good choices as first replacements. Tony had already done well in Neil Simon's "Promises, Promises" (London and Broadway) and "Barefoot in the Park." Stockard's appearance in the movie of "Grease" was seen by everyone, and she had already had two (unsuccessful) TV series of her own, so she was reasonably famous at this time.

by Anonymousreply 188January 16, 2021 8:23 PM

What I find very charming about that clip of TPOS is that neither Channing nor Roberts speak Simon's dialogue in his usual cadences. They make it sound like it's coming out of the mouths of actual people. The thing I find so grating about Simon is that he writes for the joke, not the character. His lines are funny, but they sound really artificial coming out of most actors' mouths. It's even more grating on film than onstage. I can imagine Robert Klein performed it well, but I'll just bet Lucie Arnaz was all schtick and the worst kind of Simon actor.

by Anonymousreply 189January 16, 2021 8:43 PM

Not to mention that mega-hit The Big Bus, r188...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190January 16, 2021 8:47 PM

[quote]What I find very charming about that clip of TPOS is that neither Channing nor Roberts speak Simon's dialogue in his usual cadences.

Great. That Piece of Shit is now being discussed on two threads.

by Anonymousreply 191January 16, 2021 8:58 PM

Well....we *could* discuss how badly miscast Miss Miss Ebersole was...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192January 16, 2021 9:02 PM

Make that one Miss.

by Anonymousreply 193January 16, 2021 9:03 PM

Ebersole was sick during the run of Applause. She should have been home in bed but I don’t think Encores had a back up plan.

by Anonymousreply 194January 16, 2021 9:35 PM

[quote] Well....we *could* discuss how badly miscast Miss Miss Ebersole was...

Not as badly as Sheryl Lee Ralph was in the Reprise version.

by Anonymousreply 195January 16, 2021 9:57 PM

Richard Greenberg has the same problem as Neil Simon. Witty dialogue but it all sounds like it's coming out of Greenberg's mouth, not the characters. This was especially true in the locker room and shower scenes of Take Me Out.

by Anonymousreply 196January 16, 2021 10:04 PM

"ENCORES had no back up?" They read from scripts for Christ's sake. You could have put. someone in about 4 hours...

by Anonymousreply 197January 16, 2021 10:51 PM

Yes r197 because everyone can learn an entire score in 4 hours

by Anonymousreply 198January 16, 2021 11:11 PM

They shoulda called me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 199January 16, 2021 11:18 PM

They should have cast Patti LuPone as Margo to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 200January 17, 2021 1:30 AM

I'm sitting here imagining Patti swinging on the hanging light over the pool table during But Alive.

by Anonymousreply 201January 17, 2021 1:45 AM

R182, I'm not a "flyover," I've lived in NYC all my life, I started going to the theater in the late 1960s, and I've seen literally hundreds of shows over the years. Sorry you didn't like THE PROM, but I think my strongly positive opinion of the show and my commentary on it deserve some respect even if you disagree.

by Anonymousreply 202January 17, 2021 2:31 AM

Well...we could discuss...Pia...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203January 17, 2021 2:39 AM

The Prom is the theatrical love child of AIDS and CoVID

by Anonymousreply 204January 17, 2021 4:32 AM

R202 Smell her.

by Anonymousreply 205January 17, 2021 4:38 AM

R205. LOL

by Anonymousreply 206January 17, 2021 4:55 AM

R204, that comment is disgusting. And so are you.

by Anonymousreply 207January 17, 2021 4:17 PM

Emma Thompson as Miss Trunchbull?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208January 17, 2021 4:43 PM

I love Emma Thompson, and she could deliver a brilliant performance, but casting her as Trunchbull seems like a betrayal of the show. The role was written for a man. It has always been played by a man. She is not physically intimidating at all!

by Anonymousreply 209January 17, 2021 4:48 PM

Eddie Izzard is perfect. Ugly as fuck and a woman.

by Anonymousreply 210January 17, 2021 4:49 PM

she'll be great. Really good casting, if they decided not to do man-in-drag which wouldn't be OK now anyway

by Anonymousreply 211January 17, 2021 4:52 PM

I'm having a hard time picturing Emma as Trunchbull. (I didn't love her Lovett.) But I guess we should be thankful they didn't go with Meryl -- or James Corden.

I wonder what happened to Ralph Fiennes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 17, 2021 5:21 PM

^ Presume he read the script and heard the score.

by Anonymousreply 213January 17, 2021 5:23 PM

A man dressed a woman wouldn't play these days

by Anonymousreply 214January 17, 2021 5:36 PM

For the one other Rock Follies fan who comes here, lovely Charlotte Cornwell has died. Sob.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 17, 2021 5:45 PM

I always thought it was contrived that a man played Trunchbull anyway. Part of that lame British Musical Hall/Panto tradition that the rest of th world finds wearying and curious. Thompson is a very smart idea.

by Anonymousreply 216January 17, 2021 8:20 PM

Very sad to hear about Charlotte. I would get very excited every time she popped up in a movie or tv show. RIP

by Anonymousreply 217January 17, 2021 8:26 PM

What's LULU up to?

by Anonymousreply 218January 17, 2021 8:26 PM

The cross-gender casting of Trunchbull is an exaggerated theatrical conceit that would be difficult to recreate on screen.

But - dare I say it - Emma Thompson has become a bit of a hack during the past couple of years. The last role I saw her do was the mother in Last Christmas, in which she and her Yugoslav accent were absolutely dreadful. She also co-wrote the film, which was a pile of contrived shit.

They should have cast Toni Collette.

by Anonymousreply 219January 17, 2021 8:30 PM

Emma has been a hack for far longer than a year.

And she's a lousy writer.

by Anonymousreply 220January 17, 2021 8:41 PM

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221January 17, 2021 9:00 PM

How is cross-gender casting in "Matilda" any different from "Hairspray?"

by Anonymousreply 222January 17, 2021 10:42 PM

Oh no, R215. That’s sad. I loved her in Rock Follies. Her character could so easily have been an unbearable pain in the ass but she always kept that from happening.

by Anonymousreply 223January 17, 2021 10:56 PM

Moss & Kitty

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224January 18, 2021 1:24 AM

I think Brantley is no genius but I value some of his reviews including this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225January 18, 2021 1:27 AM

Has anyone read Riedel's new book, Singular Sensation? I got it from the library and am enjoying it very much. Say what you will about Riedel, he's an engaging writer and his books read very well.

by Anonymousreply 226January 18, 2021 8:35 AM

I read it as well and agree. He really abandons his snarky side for some very entertaining and intelligent prose.

by Anonymousreply 227January 18, 2021 1:47 PM

So Moss is good at shopping, acc to Kitty. No surprise here. I've been watching a lot of To Tell the Truth reruns (it's been a long winter) and she seems like a very agreeable soul, although not much of a heavyweight in the brains department.

by Anonymousreply 228January 18, 2021 1:50 PM

Da fuq????? Cocaine is a hell of a drug. Reinking in "When Johnny Comes Marching Home..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229January 18, 2021 4:04 PM

And Tovah comes on later, r229? Does Lucie get to slap her silly?

by Anonymousreply 230January 18, 2021 4:30 PM

Lucie would have made a wonderful Phyllis in FOLLIES!

by Anonymousreply 231January 18, 2021 4:45 PM

[quote]How is cross-gender casting in "Matilda" any different from "Hairspray?"

I would say it isn't, really, although the British panto tradition is obviously not quite the same as drag in American entertainment.

I haven't yet read Riedel's new book, but I read the first one and enjoyed it very much. His writing style in that is completely different, and far suprerior, to that stuff he wrote over the years in his column in the hateful New York Post. Obviously, there's the major difference of long-form writing compared to brief columns, but I still didn't expect a book by Riedel to be so good.

by Anonymousreply 232January 18, 2021 5:42 PM

So....I just flipped from the L&O on Bounce to the different episode of L&O on ION which features your Miss Susan Misner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233January 18, 2021 6:00 PM

Awww.....my favorite DVD episode was just on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 234January 18, 2021 7:45 PM

Remember when they're used to be an active Broadway Sex Thread as well as this? Now we have an active They're Playing Our Song Thread and this. The times, they are a-sucking.

by Anonymousreply 235January 18, 2021 10:41 PM

Ummmm the 'times' have indeed, totally changed.

by Anonymousreply 236January 18, 2021 10:51 PM

I long for the day we’ll have an active Broadway Chorus Boys’ Onlyfans Pages thread.

by Anonymousreply 237January 18, 2021 11:01 PM

I long for the old view.

by Anonymousreply 238January 18, 2021 11:42 PM

I haven't read Singular Sensation yet, but I see it ends with 2001 and 9/11. If he covers the 2000s, an okay throughline might be the attempts to find "The next PRODUCERS."

by Anonymousreply 239January 19, 2021 1:27 AM

Riedel's research is always paper thin. He talks to five people -- usually the richest theatre owners and producers -- and writes based on those shallow conversations and shallower people. If you want to see how dim Riedel truly is, watch him unfiltered in "Show Business."

by Anonymousreply 240January 19, 2021 1:31 AM

Have you read the book?

by Anonymousreply 241January 19, 2021 1:33 AM

Yes, I have. My favorite part was in the forward where he acknowledges in rereading his columns "How much I got wrong"....Only accurate observation in the book..

by Anonymousreply 242January 19, 2021 1:51 AM

^ Come, sit by me.

by Anonymousreply 243January 19, 2021 2:31 AM

RAGTIME opened on Broadway on this date in 1998.

In memory of the late, great Marin Mazzie, here is her Act Two showstopper "Back to Before".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244January 19, 2021 4:10 AM

I’ll miss very little about the last four years. But I will miss Laura Benanti’s Melania.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245January 19, 2021 5:20 AM

[quote] Riedel's research is always paper thin. He talks to five people -- usually the richest theatre owners and producers -- and writes based on those shallow conversations and shallower people.

It's clear you've never read his books if this is the line you're pushing. Riedel interviews many different types of theater artists and businesspeople for his books.

by Anonymousreply 246January 19, 2021 10:34 AM

He’s in bed (yuck) with too many producers. Too eager to be in the club to be objective.

by Anonymousreply 247January 19, 2021 11:40 AM

Then you haven't read the book.

by Anonymousreply 248January 19, 2021 12:08 PM

Hey, Michael! Figured you'd be here.

by Anonymousreply 249January 19, 2021 12:10 PM

Also, Michael, as long as you're here- whose cock is tastier: Tommy Schumacher's or Scotty Rudin's?

by Anonymousreply 250January 19, 2021 2:57 PM

Laura Benanti. 'nut said.

by Anonymousreply 251January 19, 2021 3:03 PM

FUCK autocorrect. That was "'nuf" said.

Just now it tried to make it "nun said" -which would be an entirely different direction...

by Anonymousreply 252January 19, 2021 3:05 PM

It is well known that Riedel printed whatever Rudin or the Shubert told him.

by Anonymousreply 253January 19, 2021 3:28 PM

Yes r253. Check his columns in the last 2–3 years and see how many are pushing Rudin shows. It's staggering. I still with my point at r247 that he's too much of a bad wannabe to be a good journalist.

by Anonymousreply 254January 19, 2021 3:49 PM

Our long national nightmare is over!

No--not the Trump presidency--the "They're Playing Our Song" thread is CLOSED!

by Anonymousreply 255January 19, 2021 4:15 PM

Sorry to have to tell you, R255, but there's now a Part 2.

by Anonymousreply 256January 19, 2021 4:18 PM

And the sequel is going strong. We [bold]still[/bold] believe in love, r255, even if you don't.

by Anonymousreply 257January 19, 2021 4:18 PM

FROZEN London postponed -- again.

by Anonymousreply 258January 19, 2021 4:27 PM

Who gives a fuck about Riedel's columns? We're talking about the books. They are completely different.

by Anonymousreply 259January 19, 2021 4:30 PM

The books are cobbled together by a cheap propagandist who basically did whatever the overlords told him to do. There is not one original thought in his books, and he's basically transcribing the history that belongs to the richest.

by Anonymousreply 260January 19, 2021 4:49 PM

Christ, this Riedel critic is the same one who went apeshit about how bad Brantley was and never shut up about it even when he found no encouragement. I thought Muriel was instituting Prime Time more often these days to get rid of people like this.

by Anonymousreply 261January 19, 2021 4:55 PM

[quote]Sorry to have to tell you, [R255], but there's now a Part 2.

Well, I may have to kill myself now. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 262January 19, 2021 4:56 PM

Bye.

by Anonymousreply 263January 19, 2021 6:07 PM

Can I have your stuff, r262?

by Anonymousreply 264January 19, 2021 6:15 PM

Scott Rudin is planning a revival, starring Laurie Metcalf and Joe Mantello, directed by Ivo van Hove. Interested now, r262 and r248?

All 6 "voices" will be nude, covered in goat's blood, and played by Glenda Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 265January 19, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote]Christ, this Riedel critic is the same one who went apeshit about how bad Brantley was and never shut up about it even when he found no encouragement.

R262, can you explain or review how you can tell this? Do you just have to hit "f/f" on one of the person's posts?

by Anonymousreply 266January 19, 2021 6:35 PM

What will be on the video screens, r265?

by Anonymousreply 267January 19, 2021 6:51 PM

I blocked him, R266

by Anonymousreply 268January 19, 2021 6:54 PM

R268, if you blocked him, how can you read his posts to know that the person going after Riedel is the same one who went after Brantley?

by Anonymousreply 269January 19, 2021 10:01 PM

JFC, are you new here?

by Anonymousreply 270January 19, 2021 10:36 PM

The posts show up on your Ignored list for that poster, r269.

by Anonymousreply 271January 19, 2021 10:39 PM

The cast of the Broadway musical Ragtime performs the amazing opening title number on The Rosie O'Donnell Show, January 19, 1998.

Still thrilling, even on the tiny TV studio stage...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272January 19, 2021 10:51 PM

[quote]The posts show up on your Ignored list for that poster, [R269].

Not r269, but what the holy fuck is the point of blocking someone so that you don't have to see their posts and then rushing over to your blocked list to see what they posted?

by Anonymousreply 273January 19, 2021 10:57 PM

IATSE Calls for Live Venues to Become COVID Vaccination Sites Using Union Labor:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274January 19, 2021 11:45 PM

Sometimes there are reasons, r273, and I don't think rushing is involved.

by Anonymousreply 275January 19, 2021 11:45 PM

...and even though it's been very heavily cut, R272. I would so love to have a well-filmed version of the whole opening number, with all the political stuff in. My favorite line:

"They called it the Crime of the Century, but Goldman knew it was only 1906, and there were 94 years to go (Evelyn: Whee!)"

by Anonymousreply 276January 20, 2021 12:20 AM

Following R244's link led me down a bit of a YouTube rabbit-hole where I found this. The DL has always spoken of this performance as legendary, and I usually follow these threads, but I've never seen this clip before. Please don't jump on me if you have. There are also clips up of her singing Maybe This Time, and of the end of the show. A truly gobsmacking production.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277January 20, 2021 12:34 AM

how would Glenn been as Desiree? Anyone know why that revival with G didn't get off the ground?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 20, 2021 12:47 AM

So someone isn't allowed to not respect the work of Ben Brantley and/or Michael Reidel? What, darling?

by Anonymousreply 279January 20, 2021 1:23 AM

Say, Darling!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280January 20, 2021 1:41 AM

I've never quite gotten Say, Darling. Was it actually a play with music, not a real musical? Is this the show where young Robert Morse played a character based on young Hal Prince? But then I noticed he didn't get star billing in r280s's link. A supporting character based on Prince....wtf?

Does anyone here know this show? Is it ripe for a revival? Maybe at Encores? With a color-blind cast??

by Anonymousreply 281January 20, 2021 2:55 AM

"Say, Darling" is a play with some original songs, performed as songs, not as numbers in a musical.

by Anonymousreply 282January 20, 2021 3:22 AM

A truly mediocre show, Say Darling.

by Anonymousreply 283January 20, 2021 1:16 PM

It was no Happy Hunting!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284January 20, 2021 2:13 PM

"Gee, But It's Good To Be Here" is one of the greatest intro songs written for a musical. That sounds like a later recording at R284, when her voice had a bit more of a wobble. It sure wasn't a fun show for the Merm, though. She refused to talk to the composer after he dared to critique one of her vocal choices. And she famously feuded with her leading man, Fernando Lamas, especially after he gave a TV interview and said that kissing Merman onstage was “somewhere between kissing your uncle and a Sherman tank”. She had the power to get him fired. Instead she made him KEEP his job, which prevented him from playing the lead in the South Pacific movie.

by Anonymousreply 285January 20, 2021 3:27 PM

One more "Happy Hunting" fun fact. During the pre-Broadway tryout, Fernando Lamas asked the costume team to make his pants tighter so that his huge dick would upstage Merman.

Sorry, no pics to share.

by Anonymousreply 286January 20, 2021 3:30 PM

Did anyone subscribe to the National Theatre's streaming service? If so, anything in particular you enjoyed?

by Anonymousreply 287January 20, 2021 5:46 PM

Mosquitos. Most has already been released.

by Anonymousreply 288January 20, 2021 5:53 PM

R285, that's amazing. I don't think I had ever heard that Fernando Lamas was even considered for the male lead in the movie of SOUTH PACIFIC, but that makes perfect sense. I guess he was a little young for the role at the time, but they could have aged him a bit as they did Brazzi.

by Anonymousreply 289January 20, 2021 6:38 PM

DL icon Seth Sikes has been singing his Garland show down in Puerto Vallarta, defying the local "no shows" order. Cancellation coming?

by Anonymousreply 290January 20, 2021 6:39 PM

Emile de Becque is French, correct? I wonder if Louis Jourdan or Jacques Bergerac were ever considered, as a real singing voice never seemed to be the issue? Is there any reason he needs to be much older than Nellie? And if Nellie is realistically in her early 20s, a man of 35 would be fine.

That said, Ezio Pinza's gorgeous voice on the OBC has always slayed me. Shivers up and down the spine. Is it thought too operatic these days?

by Anonymousreply 291January 20, 2021 7:14 PM

R291, I don't know if a specific age for Emile de Becque is given in the original novel or anywhere in the stage directions for the musical, but he is supposed to be considerably older than Nellie. There are several lines to that effect, including one line where Emile says to Nellie something like. "If we have children, when I die they will be growing up. You could afford to take them to America, if you like." I think he's supposed to be about 50, and Nellie should indeed be in her early 20s.

by Anonymousreply 292January 20, 2021 7:21 PM

I disagree.

by Anonymousreply 293January 20, 2021 7:36 PM

Darling Glenn, was the Lucille Ball Mame filter not available when you filmed South Pacific?

by Anonymousreply 294January 20, 2021 7:46 PM

On Antiques Roadshow this week...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295January 20, 2021 7:51 PM

Since when do DL Theater Queens like Riedel or Brantley? They've never been DL Faves unless you mean the kind of "Faves We Love To Mock".

They're both hacks though at least Riedel is a modestly entertaining one. Brantley is just a yutz with questionable taste and writing skills.

by Anonymousreply 296January 20, 2021 9:00 PM

R287 I don't subscribe but, of the ones I've seen:

OTHELLO was excellent. Stunning performances and a modernized setting (the Gulf War) that actually worked. One of the best productions of OTHELLO I've seen.

I liked CORIOLANUS quite a lot, but am glad I read the play first. It's a minimalist production with a lot of role-doubling, so it might be a bit confusing if you're not familiar with it.

MEDEA was also very good. But very, very bleak.

I though AMADEUS was dreadful - overlong, overdone, and quite boring.

by Anonymousreply 297January 20, 2021 10:09 PM

[quote] I though AMADEUS was dreadful - overlong, overdone, and quite boring.

Agreed. One of my fondest memories in the theatre was seeing Ian McKellan on Broadway in the original Peter Hall production. There are clips of Phillip Scofield out there that are thrilling, too. But this production was the pits. The worst kind of modern British theatre; faux-hip, unnecessarily busy and flat-out grating.

by Anonymousreply 298January 20, 2021 10:33 PM

R298 Make that PAUL Scofield as the original star of "Amadeus." Phillip Schofield is a TV "presenter," West End star of "Joseph" and "Dr. Doolittle," and came out as gay last year.

by Anonymousreply 299January 20, 2021 10:37 PM

Oh God. I’m genuinely embarrassed. Thank you for the correction, r299.

by Anonymousreply 300January 20, 2021 10:39 PM

R299 Make that "Dr. Dolittle"

by Anonymousreply 301January 20, 2021 10:39 PM

R300 No need to feel embarrassed--I misspelled "Dolittle"

by Anonymousreply 302January 20, 2021 10:41 PM

The original Broadway production of Amadeus with Ian McKellan was truly one of the most thrilling shows I've seen. The recent NT production couldn't hold McKellan's wig (I only liked having the chamber orchestra on stage).

by Anonymousreply 303January 20, 2021 10:43 PM

Because I'm sure we've got some Playbill savers here. I went through two large boxes of programs early in the pandemic and recycled a LOT of them, mostly symphony and dance programs, but more than a few theater ones, too, some for shows I'd completely forgotten I'd seen. One of the best things about looking through old programs is all the ads. People sure smoked a lot of Benson & Hedges and Tareytons then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304January 20, 2021 10:57 PM

R297 Yeah. We watched all those over lockdown here.

Sammy Stops The World - with Sammy Davis Jr and Marian Mercer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305January 21, 2021 2:41 AM

Is Amadeus one of those plays that hasn't aged well? I've only seen one live production and it didn't blow me away.

It was from a minor semi-professional local theater but the script felt very long and very creaky.

by Anonymousreply 306January 21, 2021 4:02 AM

Even the best scripts can seem long and creaky in the hands of less-than-stellar actors/directors/producers.

by Anonymousreply 307January 21, 2021 4:05 AM

The one Broadway revival of "Amadeus," with David Suchet and Michael Sheen, was something of a disappointment.

by Anonymousreply 308January 21, 2021 4:08 AM

Work is also of its time. Lots of "great" novels and plays don't seem so great as time passes. Something that was considered stylish and daring when it first debuted may not seem so daring and stylish years later. Many of those acclaimed "well made" plays of the 1950s like "Inherit the Wind" don't play so well today and now many of those similarly acclaimed works of the 1980s like "Amadeus" and "Crimes of the Heart" can also feel creaky as hell.

by Anonymousreply 309January 21, 2021 4:14 AM

I thought Crimes of the Heart was creaky as hell even back then.

by Anonymousreply 310January 21, 2021 4:17 AM

R310 TBH, I thought the same. It's just a Lifetime TV movie crossed with a Southern Gothic and an episode of "Mama's Family".

by Anonymousreply 311January 21, 2021 4:22 AM

Beth Henley is a terrible writer.

by Anonymousreply 312January 21, 2021 4:29 AM

R312 She needed anal. At least Wendy got that from Terence.

Callas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313January 21, 2021 5:04 AM

The original Broadway Amadeus also had some great replacements. I think saw John Wood and later a really terrific David Dukes. I bet Langella was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 314January 21, 2021 1:09 PM

Why is the play Amadeus called Amadeus? It's just Mozart's middle name. Shouldn't it be called Wolfgang?

by Anonymousreply 315January 21, 2021 2:08 PM

To play up the connotations of the name "Amadeus".

Ama = Love

Deus = God

Fun Fact: Amadeus wasn't Mozart's real middle name. It's the Latin form of one of his middle names Theophilus which means "Lover of God" in Greek. Mozart also used Amadeo (Italian) and Amadè (French) at different times in his life. In fact, he only used Amadeus a few times and most of those appear to be in jest (such as when he signed letters by adding -us to the end of all of his names, i.e. Wolfgangus Amadeus Mozartus).

by Anonymousreply 316January 21, 2021 3:07 PM

[quote]Many of those acclaimed "well made" plays of the 1950s like "Inherit the Wind" don't play so well today

I have to disagree with you on that one. I think it still plays like gangbusters on stage, and when I very recently re-watched the movie version, I found that it still packs a wallop. This is partly because the play is so well written but also because the subject matter is, sadly and incredibly, still relevant.

by Anonymousreply 317January 21, 2021 3:22 PM

I saw Langella and Dennis Boutsikaris. They were both wonderful in it.

by Anonymousreply 318January 21, 2021 3:29 PM

I agree with r317. Bad productions give these shows a bad name or reputation. And then out of nowhere, someone will do something really strong (and it doesn't have to be gimmicky. I'm looking at [italic]you[/italic], Ivo!), and we all wonder where this "lost classic" has been.

by Anonymousreply 319January 21, 2021 3:36 PM

Meanwhile what the hell is "Josh Swallows" podcast. Here is his new episode with Tay Tay and Isaac Powell. I'm afraid to listen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320January 21, 2021 3:37 PM

With those two, I'm pretty sure we know what Josh is swallowing...

by Anonymousreply 321January 21, 2021 3:47 PM

Seems like someone should repost that full length (ahem) nude of Isaac from a few threads ago.

by Anonymousreply 322January 21, 2021 4:03 PM

Poor Josh Lamon. They only cast him in The Prom so that Brooks Ashmanskas would look svelte in comparison

by Anonymousreply 323January 21, 2021 4:50 PM

Inherit the Wind is prohibitive to produce on Broadway because it requires a huge cast (35+) and 2 big stars. I was involved with the Broadway revival in the 1990s that starred George C. Scott and Charles Durning that was produced by Tony Randall's old theater company National Actors Theatre, but it closed quickly because Scott was too ill and left the production in early previews. He was riveting, even in his lessened state, a true stage star. IIRC he died shortly after.

But, as others have stated above, the play can be phenomenal in the right hands and yet a big pompous bore in the wrong ones (I've seen that, too). Nevertheless, when theaters reopen, and with the political climate changing, I can imagine the right production being a big success on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 324January 21, 2021 4:54 PM

Nude courtroom. With video and monkey blood. And real monkeys for monkey trial. I like.

by Anonymousreply 325January 21, 2021 4:59 PM

R309 Yup, try staging "Equus" with the boy and girl stripping down to bathing suits instead of nude and see how the production is reviewed and received.

by Anonymousreply 326January 21, 2021 6:15 PM

I didn’t know they did this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327January 21, 2021 6:47 PM

Everyone must have seen this already but it is worth putting here

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328January 21, 2021 6:52 PM

When everything was fine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329January 21, 2021 6:55 PM

Act 1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 330January 21, 2021 6:58 PM

R330 so in 2005, LuPone, McDonald, and Cerveris did ANYONE CAN WHISTLE and PASSION?

by Anonymousreply 331January 21, 2021 8:08 PM

[quote]Tony Randall's old theater company National Actors Theatre

I don't think Randall's theater ever really took off, did it? Kind of a shame -- creating a national theater wasn't a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 332January 21, 2021 8:29 PM

It wasn't a bad idea, but the productions weren't that hot.

by Anonymousreply 333January 21, 2021 8:32 PM

Tony ran that thing into the ground within the first season and coasted on fumes and the good graces of Jack Klugman for two more before he had to settle for one production per season at various theaters before packing it in by the end of the decade. By the time The Gin Game rolled around, they weren't really using the NAT moniker because it was the kiss of death.

by Anonymousreply 334January 21, 2021 8:42 PM

Miss Cook's tribute to love songs...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335January 21, 2021 8:50 PM

Could a generous soul share a link to the West End King and I and the pro shot Pippin? I think at this point I´ve finished Netflix...

by Anonymousreply 336January 21, 2021 10:02 PM

David Dukes was such a marvelous actor and left us much too soon.

by Anonymousreply 337January 21, 2021 10:38 PM

Definitely r337. Wish he were better known.

by Anonymousreply 338January 22, 2021 1:49 AM

Sublime Dame Maggie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339January 22, 2021 2:23 AM

Lettice and Lovage was a wonderful play. I saw Dame Maggie in London he week it opened. Absolutely one of the most entertaining evenings I have spent in the theatre.

by Anonymousreply 340January 22, 2021 2:48 AM

‘Moulin Rouge!’ Was Their Ticket. Then 2020 Happened:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 341January 22, 2021 6:33 AM

Broadway Legend Joel Grey on Why He Got Vaccinated -- "Hope is Everything":

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342January 22, 2021 6:34 AM

Why wouldn't he get vaccinated? What a stupid headline.

by Anonymousreply 343January 22, 2021 6:40 AM

Tits! When am I gonna grow tits?

by Anonymousreply 344January 22, 2021 8:08 AM

Jesus, that article about Moulin Rouge makes it sound like one of the greatest tragedies of the modern world that it was stopped in its tracks. It was a fucking jukebox musical based on a movie. They're like subways. Miss one and another comes along in 10 minutes to take you for a crowded, not terribly exciting ride.

by Anonymousreply 345January 22, 2021 8:18 AM

I love you r345....And I have money in Moulin...

by Anonymousreply 346January 22, 2021 3:48 PM

Bob Avian has died. Cardiac arrest yesterday at his home in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 347January 22, 2021 4:04 PM

Broadway credits...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348January 22, 2021 4:19 PM

So sad about Bob Avian. I only met and spoke with him once, very briefly, but he seemed like a genuinely sweet guy. Rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 349January 22, 2021 4:39 PM

I’ll be reading his book on Kindle this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 350January 22, 2021 6:12 PM

The NT Live Amadeus starts badly. But the second act is amazing. I have seen the play many times and most productions after the Peter Hall with the original cast have completely fucked it up.

The original and this are the only two that made sense of the second act. This production emphasizes how Salieri keeps getting richer and richer and Mozart crumbles. That is something I have never seen before.

And the Mozart is the best since Tim Curry.

Most productions miss the humor and while this one is not as funny as Hall's production, it is funnier than most. (I am guessing that the movie jettisoned the gags so stage productions imitate it by downplaying the jokes.)

by Anonymousreply 351January 22, 2021 6:24 PM

Bob Avian had an amazing career and was a part of some of the all-time greats. (Including, of course, that little show that played the Winter Garden all those years ago.)

It’s sad to think we lost a connection to one of Broadway's greatest eras. It’s even sadder that we lost such a sweet, generous and wise man. He was an absolute doll.

by Anonymousreply 352January 22, 2021 7:11 PM

Lettice & Lovage is one of the Top 10 on my all-time Favorite Plays list. Maggie Smith ate up the scenery, but that's exactly what the role needed. The part was written for her, so hard to duplicate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353January 22, 2021 8:12 PM

...and the Tony Award goes to.... MAGGIE SMITH!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354January 22, 2021 8:13 PM

Her Mary McGregor played the role at the Pasadena Playhouse a quarter century ago, r353, opposite Miss Mary Jo Catlett.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355January 22, 2021 8:23 PM

Avian. Perhaps he just...flew away?

by Anonymousreply 356January 22, 2021 9:01 PM

Streep should do Lettice and Lovage. She'd be brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 357January 22, 2021 9:10 PM

I'm watching Jack Benny on Dick Cavett going on how wonderful Danny Kaye was in Two by Two and how terrible it was that he didn't get a Tony nomination.

by Anonymousreply 358January 23, 2021 1:24 AM

Doubt Streep would walk in the footsteps someone like Dame Maggie.

by Anonymousreply 359January 23, 2021 12:22 PM

[quote]I'm watching Jack Benny on Dick Cavett going on how wonderful Danny Kaye was in Two by Two and how terrible it was that he didn't get a Tony nomination.

That's one closet queen supporting another.

by Anonymousreply 360January 23, 2021 3:39 PM

The MR article in the Times made it sound very ominous.... I wonder when theaters will be back up.

by Anonymousreply 361January 23, 2021 5:59 PM

R361, your post is useless without a link.

by Anonymousreply 362January 23, 2021 6:36 PM

He was commenting on a link in a post, you clod.

by Anonymousreply 363January 23, 2021 6:45 PM

R362, I think R361 may be talking about this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364January 23, 2021 6:53 PM

I thought the article at r364 sounded ominous, too. Like the producers were VERY concerned about raising the 3 million to revive such an expensive show knowing it would absolutely be dependent on outrageously high ticket prices to ultimately make a profit.

Will post-covid audiences really go for it and will they be able to afford it?

by Anonymousreply 365January 23, 2021 7:30 PM

withonelook just posted a number from [italic]Nine[/italic] with Sergio Franchi from 1983. I still don't understand how folks got bootlegs in those days before video was so portable. 8mm cameras were noisy. What did they use?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366January 23, 2021 8:01 PM

Catching up on this thread and slightly related to Tony Randall's NAT, I was amazed at how many short-lived productions the Roundabout did at Criterion Center Stage Right. They were averaging about four a season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367January 23, 2021 8:58 PM

circle of life... OG Desiree as her mom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368January 23, 2021 9:24 PM

[quote] Catching up on this thread and slightly related to Tony Randall's NAT, I was amazed at how many short-lived productions the Roundabout did at Criterion Center Stage Right. They were averaging about four a season.

I'm not sure I understand your amazement. This was pretty much what a Roundabout season was like for many years. And a few years after Stage Right opened, they opened the first Laura Pels theater right next to it which did a mix of new plays and revivals. And it's what they still do now, only it's spread out amongst four different stages.

I loved that theater complex. I understand why they branched out, but I wish they could have found a way to keep that particular venue open instead of it being razed for a fucking Toys R Us.

by Anonymousreply 369January 23, 2021 9:42 PM

[quote]fucking Toys R Us

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 370January 23, 2021 9:48 PM

Here she is boys! Here she is world! Here's...LORNA!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371January 23, 2021 9:49 PM

Many shows are not reopening- tours especially. The decisions have been made but the producers/GMs are opting not to tell any of their (former) employees ahead of time because with social media there is no way to control the announcement, so unfortunately a lot of people who think they have a job to go back to do not. Some tours that were to go out are cancelled or are going out on lower tier contracts than previously planned. It's going to be ugly.

by Anonymousreply 372January 23, 2021 9:49 PM

R366 Meh, I would appreciate what AuroraNutBar and WithOneKiss shared if they shared the whole fucking shows. These little 'snippets' they deem share worthy, controlling all...betrays deep seated mental heath issues.

by Anonymousreply 373January 23, 2021 9:53 PM

Christ, the orchestra in that audio clip of Lorna Luft in GYPSY is beyond horrible. Where the hell was this? Epic fail. As for Lorna's performance, I would say the singing is very good, the acting only okay.

by Anonymousreply 374January 23, 2021 10:16 PM

R369, I guess I was just surprised that Roundabout could fit 4-5 shows at one place in a season, but as you mention, it was a model they were used to.

by Anonymousreply 375January 23, 2021 10:27 PM

Lorna did Gypsy at a university. It was pretty much an amateur production with a drag queen as Electra. Now if Lorna wanted to play Rose couldn’t she have been cast at Papermill or a professional stock production?

by Anonymousreply 376January 23, 2021 10:31 PM

R376, do you mean that GYPSY was a production of the university's theater department with Lorna in the lead for some reason, or was it just an amateur production in a university theater? Either way, the orchestral playing in that clip is embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 377January 23, 2021 10:40 PM

r373

did you ever think maybe they don't have the whole show? Maybe the clips were the only thing the person filming could get?

by Anonymousreply 378January 23, 2021 10:57 PM

If you follow the underground bootleg video gangs the full shows are available if you’re willing to pay or have something to trade.

by Anonymousreply 379January 23, 2021 11:00 PM

I still can't picture how they got the boots filmed

by Anonymousreply 380January 23, 2021 11:05 PM

Then pay or have something to trade, r379. The whining at r373 is tedious and reeks of entitlement...

by Anonymousreply 381January 23, 2021 11:05 PM

I do pay and I do have full shows but I don’t post them online. I’m happy with the clips Aurora posts. I don’t always need to see the full show.

by Anonymousreply 382January 23, 2021 11:18 PM

I'm happy with them as well, r382. And really, some of the bootlegs aren't great and I wouldn't watch an entire show of that quality.

by Anonymousreply 383January 23, 2021 11:21 PM

How does one find a way to buy the full ones? I don't live in NYC...

by Anonymousreply 384January 23, 2021 11:28 PM

I also miss Roundabout in the Criterion. Those 2 spaces brought some its most interesting and engaging productions in their history. They have too many spaces to fill now and most of the filler is star-driven junk and under-developed new work, all carelessly produced. I hope Todd takes covid time to realize he's done and bow out gracefully.

by Anonymousreply 385January 23, 2021 11:38 PM

R384 Here's a site that might be worth checking out:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386January 23, 2021 11:39 PM

Try Tumblr. Search bootleg broadway videos.

by Anonymousreply 387January 23, 2021 11:40 PM

[quote] [R369], I guess I was just surprised that Roundabout could fit 4-5 shows at one place in a season, but as you mention, it was a model they were used to.

Yes, they had been around for a while before they moved to the Criterion Center and had a space in the 20s, and then one in Union Sq. I never went to either of those spaces, as I wasn't in NYC yet, but I've read about their seasons at both and they did the same kind of season every year- 4-5 productions. But both those houses were Off-Broadway spaces only.

by Anonymousreply 388January 24, 2021 1:57 AM

Before they moved to the Criterion, the Roundabout mostly produced cheap-looking and deadly dull revivals of 19th and 18th century plays....Shaw, Moliere and the like as well as the occasional Williams, Miller and Inge.

Somehow they got Liam Neeson and Natasha Richardson to do O'Neill's Anna Christie as one of their first shows at the Criterion and that truly wonderful production changed everything and gave them access to bigger star names and smarter directors.

by Anonymousreply 389January 24, 2021 2:05 AM

The first time I ever went to Stage Right was 1990. Someone gave me a free ticket to a play called Stand Up Tragedy with Jack Coleman from Dynasty starring in it. Then when Roundabout moved in, they used to have great student pricing, so I went to see some of their first season there. I remember absolutely loving their production of The Visit with Jane Alexander. And then I found out about being able to usher there to see the show for free and I saw their entire next two seasons that way (and a lot of other off-Broadway shows), until I got sick of doing that and decided I'd rather just pay for tickets. Of course, this was back when Off-Broadway shows were around $25-$35 each. Those were the days.

Anyway, here's a photo of Criterion Stage Right about a year before Roundabout moved in. Mastergate was playing there at the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390January 24, 2021 2:32 AM

R381 Handbags...how common.

by Anonymousreply 391January 24, 2021 3:10 AM

Watched the PBS Lincoln Center production of The Nance starring Nathan Lane, damn he was great as was the rest of the cast. Very enjoyable and heartbreaking play. It was a good reminder of how dangerous it was to be gay back in the “old days”.

It was also a great reminder how much I miss watching really talented people perform live.

by Anonymousreply 392January 24, 2021 3:32 AM

WHET Jonny Orsini?

by Anonymousreply 393January 24, 2021 3:34 AM

Not really accurate r389. They had some other great stuff down at FIT like Jim Dale & Stockard Channing in Joe Egg

by Anonymousreply 394January 24, 2021 3:37 AM

Wanda Richert in Nine also got posted today. Was always curious about how she did. Better than I expected. She doesn't have Anita Morris' humor but she sings and moves well. I guess it is ok just not as special as Morris' unique performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 395January 24, 2021 5:58 AM

Wanda only took the role because she misinterpreted the title of her song.

by Anonymousreply 396January 24, 2021 6:19 AM

I don't get it r396. Explain!

by Anonymousreply 397January 24, 2021 6:26 AM

Wanda is now a Reverend of some kind I think. I followed her on twitter and she followed back.

I noticed her account got deleted after the Trump/capitol riot.

I kind of think she was posting Trump won type stuff but not sure. But her account is suspended now.

by Anonymousreply 398January 24, 2021 6:28 AM

Yeah, she was a religious loon for a while. Went full on insane.

by Anonymousreply 399January 24, 2021 6:42 AM

r395 her performance seems like it's got more dancer razzmatazz but much less allure. She's hitting her marks well and hard. But she's dripping sequins instead of sex.

by Anonymousreply 400January 24, 2021 1:27 PM

Jonny Orsini became Jon Orsini in the indie film THE ASSISTANT with Julia Garner. He had a small role, and kept his clothes on. Alas.

by Anonymousreply 401January 24, 2021 1:35 PM

R367, that 4-play kind of season is pretty normal for institutional theaters across the country--and in NYC.

And not too much different from the 3-play season they currently run.

Incidentally, at 499 seats, the theater was about the same size as some off-Broadway houses.

by Anonymousreply 402January 24, 2021 1:39 PM

r394, you're right about the Roundabout's pre-Criterion programming. There were occasionally some gems like Joe Egg. I was (unintentionally) exaggerating in my earlier post to make a point.

But I do remember that 1993 Anna Christie directed by David Leveaux was a major turning point in the theater's success. I think it was also where Liam met Natasha; they didn't sign on as a couple but left as one.

by Anonymousreply 403January 24, 2021 3:18 PM

So Moulin Rouge is going to have to spend $3 million to re-open? What will shows like WICKED and PHANTOM and LION KING need to spend?

by Anonymousreply 404January 24, 2021 3:21 PM

That includes advertising etc I’m sure

by Anonymousreply 405January 24, 2021 3:32 PM

R403, Richardson had played Anna in Britain a few years earlier and with her husband, Robert Fox, tried desperately to get an American theater to put it up here, knowing it would help her career.

Within the first few days of rehearsal she and Neeson were fucking. Redgrave said to the husband that she thought Natasha treated him terribly after he worked so hard to make Anna Christie happen in New York. She comforted him by saying that they would make a lot of money with the tour of Lettice and Lovage she would do for him across America.

Then she made a statement about Israel and each stop on the tour cancelled.

So poor Robert Fox got fucked over by two Redgraves in one season.

by Anonymousreply 406January 24, 2021 4:05 PM

Neeson was also cast in Schindlers List during the run. He had already tested but when Spielberg saw him in AC that cinched it.

by Anonymousreply 407January 24, 2021 4:12 PM

Nicely done r406

by Anonymousreply 408January 24, 2021 4:14 PM

r391=Lady Bracknell

by Anonymousreply 409January 24, 2021 4:29 PM

But what about me? I was Tash's best friend. And Liam's!!

by Anonymousreply 410January 24, 2021 6:17 PM

Very well put, R400.

by Anonymousreply 411January 24, 2021 6:40 PM

FOLLIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412January 24, 2021 7:17 PM

Gee Natasha Richardson was a real tramp. Who knew! That was lousy to leave a husband like that.

by Anonymousreply 413January 24, 2021 8:58 PM

Hickey really knows how to be a sycophant to those successful actresses and they eat it up for some reason. Laura Linney, Allison Janney, Sandra Bernhard, Goop all fawn over him.

(but if you are non-famous he's just an awful bully.)

by Anonymousreply 414January 24, 2021 9:00 PM

R413 Love is love.

by Anonymousreply 415January 24, 2021 9:03 PM

Didn't Liam then cheat on her constantly?

by Anonymousreply 416January 24, 2021 9:06 PM

Natasha came from a very bohemian family so I guess cheating came naturally to her.

by Anonymousreply 417January 24, 2021 10:13 PM

And if the 🍆 rumors about Liam are true..........

by Anonymousreply 418January 24, 2021 10:22 PM

R414 Hickey can be forgiven somewhat for doing lots of full-frontal nudity on both stage and screen!

by Anonymousreply 419January 24, 2021 10:34 PM

R418 Rumors?

There's EVIDENCE! The man was full frontally naked in a movie with his huge cock flapping in the wind!

by Anonymousreply 420January 24, 2021 10:41 PM

Vanessa Redgrave was let go early from filming one day and went home to find her husband Tony Richardson naked in bed with her father, Sir Michael Redgrave. They asked her to join in. Instead she turned around, walked out and started divorce proceedings not long after.

The Redgraves have publicly denied this happened but it was published in a biography of the Redgrave family and then republished in the Daily Mail when the book was serialized. They never sued.

by Anonymousreply 421January 24, 2021 11:07 PM

Oh, r421...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422January 24, 2021 11:11 PM

But then Vanessa hooked up with the absolutely gorgeous Franco Nero and all was well with the world.

by Anonymousreply 423January 24, 2021 11:16 PM

Alfred and Lynnie slept with Mossie and Kitty.

by Anonymousreply 424January 25, 2021 1:10 AM

R412 compare that Lucy & Jessie with this one. Caroline comes out the winner!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425January 25, 2021 1:13 AM

Juliet in her pants.

by Anonymousreply 426January 25, 2021 1:22 AM

Redgrave had a big breakdown after Richardson left. She had bouts of stage fright and trouble acting. I think it was the politics she got involved with that gave her her confidence back.

by Anonymousreply 427January 25, 2021 4:34 AM

So....I recorded that Lorna GYPSY. Always funny to see something you record turn up on YouTube . It was at an university in Richmond,Virginia. I am not sure how it originally came about but the original announced Rose was Ebersole, someone I wouldn’t make a road trip to see. Her charms elude me (altho I did like GG). I’m not going to bother to lookup the date but memory says Ebersole got a Bway gig and suddenly Lorna was announced.

Now Lorna in GYPSY. Obvious road trip. I had never seen her and was very curious And yes, Mazeppa was a guy in drag. My original intention was to videotape it but it was too light , my seat was good and would have been perfect but it wasn’t feasible. Too exposed.

She returned the following year and her tribute show to Mama. I actually ended up talking with her for quite a while afterwards. She seemed to be a “broad” in the best sense of the word. We really hit it off actually and I had recently seen Peters. That peeked her interest and we actually dished(I hated BP). Actually, her husband had to come get her we were having so much fun.

The other thing I can say is the kids and crew from that production obviously liked her a lot. She spent a lot of time with them. The owners of the dog that played Chowzie even brought the dog to see her. I waited after all that to get her to sign her bookend that’s how we ended up talking for so long. I have a friend who actually knows both sisters and has worked with them. He said Lorna can be a bit much but really didn’t elaborate. Said Liza was actually the nicer of the two and the thing that really stayed with him was she always sent thank you notes etc for anything someone did for her and truly was very nice. Sounded like she’s very old school was the impression I got.

by Anonymousreply 428January 25, 2021 4:48 AM

Why do the theater gossip threads keep getting grayed out?

by Anonymousreply 429January 25, 2021 5:06 AM

That Caroline O’Connor clip is great. Thanks, R412.

by Anonymousreply 430January 25, 2021 10:06 AM

[quote] That peeked her interest

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 431January 25, 2021 12:43 PM

r428, are you by any chance mlop from ATC?

by Anonymousreply 432January 25, 2021 1:55 PM

We should only be so lucky r432.

by Anonymousreply 433January 25, 2021 2:12 PM

Mlop could never string that many sentences together without numerous typos, misspellings and malapropisms.

by Anonymousreply 434January 25, 2021 2:12 PM

True, that, r434.

by Anonymousreply 435January 25, 2021 2:15 PM

What is a mlop?

by Anonymousreply 436January 25, 2021 3:58 PM

OMG I miss mlop!!!!

by Anonymousreply 437January 25, 2021 4:26 PM

Check out ATC, r437. She's often still there.

by Anonymousreply 438January 25, 2021 5:02 PM

Yes, mlop has made quite the resurgence on ATC. Wonder where she's been.

by Anonymousreply 439January 25, 2021 6:30 PM

Curley McDimple

I started reading up about this off-Broadway show from the 60s, featuring Bernadette Peters and later included Butterfly (Gone With The Wind) McQueen. The plot is very reminiscent of Annie, and I wonder if Strouse, Adams, and Charnin "borrowed" anything from the musical. I'm sure there are eldergays here who saw the original production. I'd love to hear more about it, and wonder why it has't been revived?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440January 25, 2021 7:47 PM

...Wikipedia's take on Curley McDimple. Apparently there was a Bill "Bojangles" Robinson character as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441January 25, 2021 7:49 PM

mlop is also a Broadway/theater/art photographer, but she can't use the written language very well. If she could act, she could indeed be well cast as Mrs. Malaprop.

by Anonymousreply 442January 25, 2021 7:53 PM

She's a nice lady, btw, but quite a character!

by Anonymousreply 443January 25, 2021 7:54 PM

I found this a bit scary...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 444January 25, 2021 10:36 PM

Curly McDimple...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445January 25, 2021 10:59 PM

Mary Testa is almost as annoying as COVID.

by Anonymousreply 446January 25, 2021 11:35 PM

Nobody revives Curly McDimple because Ruthless! is as easy to produce and so much more satisfying

by Anonymousreply 447January 25, 2021 11:55 PM

I love Mary Testa!

by Anonymousreply 448January 25, 2021 11:55 PM

Well, CM was of its off-Broadway time like Dames, r447. They were products of the '30s nostalgia craze, so they were going for charm.

by Anonymousreply 449January 26, 2021 12:12 AM

Exactly, r449, but charming child killer is so much more fun than Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm.

BTW, by the 70s, it was 30s and 40s nostalgia which gave us the wonderful Over Here!

by Anonymousreply 450January 26, 2021 12:25 AM

I think it's high time for some '90s nostalgia! Who's up for a Macaulay Culkin-themed musical?

by Anonymousreply 451January 26, 2021 12:27 AM

We also had Shirley Dimple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452January 26, 2021 12:33 AM

It was certainly a craze by the beginning of 1971, r450. Ruthless! is also really of its time, as to fully appreciate it you have to be a Bad Seed fan. And I'd guess there were more of us around when it opened almost 30 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 453January 26, 2021 12:39 AM

Tyne's Gypsy, Part 1....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454January 26, 2021 1:24 AM

It's so tragic that the 1980s and 1990s are now what's considered "nostalgic" by millions.

by Anonymousreply 455January 26, 2021 2:10 AM

Uhhh....r455 ...that's sorta the way it works. The '20s and '30s were the same distance from the '70s. And what it comes down to is that what we're nostalgic for is our youth.

by Anonymousreply 456January 26, 2021 2:17 AM

I realize that, of course, r456. But when I was young in the 1970s, the nostalgia craze was about the 1920s, 30s and 40s, all wonderfully interesting decades before I was born. I wish kids today were more into the 1950s, 60s and 70s.

by Anonymousreply 457January 26, 2021 2:34 AM

Today, 2009 qualifies as nostalgic.

by Anonymousreply 458January 26, 2021 2:40 AM

R457 Didn't Grease come out in the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 459January 26, 2021 2:50 AM

Grease - stage show 1972. Film version 1978. So it was fewer than 15 years since the show was set. It would be the equivalent of a new musical opening now looking back on the halcyon days of 2005.

by Anonymousreply 460January 26, 2021 3:26 AM

R460, but music, fashion, social behavior, and so many other things had changed radically between the time period in which GREASE is set (late '50s) and the writing and the production of the musical (early '70s). And anyway, yes, people who were teenagers in the late '50s were thirtyish adults in the '70s, and they're the ones who ate up GREASE.

by Anonymousreply 461January 26, 2021 4:38 AM

[quote]Wanda is now a Reverend of some kind I think. I followed her on twitter and she followed back. I noticed her account got deleted after the Trump/capitol riot. I kind of think she was posting Trump won type stuff but not sure. But her account is suspended now.

Wanda Richert is a straight-up Qhole, [r398]/[r399]. Her FB page is littered with Q quotes and groupthink. Yes, she is some kind of self-proclaimed "Reverend", complete with miracle cures and crackpot theories. About 5 years ago, she lived in Florida and had a heavy drug problem. Ketamine, Molly. Cocaine. Lived in poverty and was homeless. An attempted intervention by her ex-husband, Irwin Myers, and their daughter was met by suicide threats. There was talk of 51/50ing her, and suddenly she was in flyover country and became a Reverend.

She was never stable, though. I worked with her on 42nd Street, and she was a nut job then. Oddly, drugs and religion do not appear to have been helpful.

That was terrifying, [r444], though Diedre Goodwin is my 2nd favorite Velma. My favorite was Mamie Duncan-Gibbs. Diedre is in this clip, as are Michael Berresse, Bruce Anthony Davis (RIP), John Mineo (RIP), Jim Borstelmann, Caitlin Carter. Rosa Curry, Rocker Verastique, Michael Kubala, David Warren-Gibson, and a few others I cannot identify for a certainty.

Also, because it cannot be overstated, apt and elegantly put, [r400]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462January 26, 2021 5:27 PM

I saw Mamie play Mama and she was fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 463January 26, 2021 6:10 PM

I bet she was, r463!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464January 26, 2021 6:13 PM

thanks r462

by Anonymousreply 465January 26, 2021 6:18 PM

I miss Valens' videos.

by Anonymousreply 466January 26, 2021 6:21 PM

A big difference in nostalgia is that fashion has changed very little in the past 20 years. The reason for this is there really aren't the dos and don'ts rules that were always in place in past decades. In the last 20 years we've all been encouraged to wear what we like and not pay too much attention to the latest trends., which are mostly just followed by well-to-do teenagers and 20-somethings.

by Anonymousreply 467January 26, 2021 6:24 PM

I miss Valens, too. Amazing stuff.

by Anonymousreply 468January 26, 2021 7:38 PM

I'm only sorry I didn't get to watch more of them before they disappeared

by Anonymousreply 469January 26, 2021 7:39 PM

R469. I copy youtube vids as soon as they pop up. There’s free software online that allows you to copy and save to your computer.

by Anonymousreply 470January 26, 2021 7:44 PM

i know, i have the software, too, but I got lazy about ripping and just saved the links. i won't make that mistake anymore. thank you, though.

by Anonymousreply 471January 26, 2021 8:13 PM

Isn’t Valens now WithOneLook on YT? I think so.

by Anonymousreply 472January 26, 2021 8:49 PM

Fuck No I Am Not.

I am building back up, finally reupped Rock Follies, woop, am going back to my original plan, of posting things in relation to discussions, rather than the endless posting I was doing during lockdown. But, as always, do requests.

Aloha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 473January 26, 2021 8:52 PM

Love you, Valens!

by Anonymousreply 474January 26, 2021 8:56 PM

You are THE BEST Valens. I’m just the carbon copy you read when you can’t find the original.

by Anonymousreply 475January 26, 2021 8:59 PM

R475 Bwahahah bless. You do good work, son. x

by Anonymousreply 476January 26, 2021 9:01 PM

Looks like Emma, indeed, made a pretty swell Sally...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 477January 26, 2021 9:26 PM

She was also a delight as a company member unlike Michelle Williams

by Anonymousreply 478January 26, 2021 9:40 PM

I've said before that I think a film remake of "Cabaret" with Emma Stone as Sally Bowles and Alan Cumming as the Emcee would be pretty awesome. (Even at this point I think he's still young enough to pull it off.) The "re-revival" from a few years ago was terrific, particularly when Stone took over the role.

by Anonymousreply 479January 26, 2021 9:44 PM

Cabaret with Alan Cumming and Jane Horrocks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480January 26, 2021 11:06 PM

mwah, Valens!

by Anonymousreply 481January 26, 2021 11:31 PM

Hi Valens, any chance you could post the recent Lincoln Center MFL revival? Any cast will do :).

by Anonymousreply 482January 27, 2021 12:10 AM

Only bootlegs of that.

by Anonymousreply 483January 27, 2021 12:20 AM

Thank you, Valens. You are a gift, a true gift! Show Queens all over the world adore you!

by Anonymousreply 484January 27, 2021 12:40 AM

[quote]and i like full length

Size queen!

by Anonymousreply 485January 27, 2021 12:58 AM

R479. I stood in the cancellation line for two hours in the rain to see Emma Stone and Alan Cumming—worth every minute.

by Anonymousreply 486January 27, 2021 1:30 AM

I can see you now, r486...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487January 27, 2021 1:43 AM

R484 Follies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488January 27, 2021 3:08 AM

Valens and WithOneLook - you're both wonderful! Now, if only Muriel would fix the damn theatre threads. Why do they -- seemingly more than any other thread -- keep dropping off of so many of our watchlists? Does Muriel hate the theatre?

by Anonymousreply 489January 27, 2021 4:16 AM

Was this from the Lebanese production of Night Music?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490January 27, 2021 4:20 AM

If this is a bootleg it has to be one of the oldest boots in the history of boots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491January 27, 2021 4:31 AM

R490 Oh girrrrrl, that is good.

Lois is so neat.

by Anonymousreply 492January 27, 2021 5:12 AM

R490 Is that John McMartin?

by Anonymousreply 493January 27, 2021 5:34 AM

Well, if you're wondering why anyone with eyes would find him attractive, then it must be John McMartin.

by Anonymousreply 494January 27, 2021 6:35 AM

[quote] If this is a bootleg it has to be one of the oldest boots in the history of boots.

There were no bootlegs until 1980. The "Fiddler" footage at R491 is pro-shot, from an early '80s tour with Bernardi and a recreation of the original staging and design.

by Anonymousreply 495January 27, 2021 6:42 AM

^ Really?

by Anonymousreply 496January 27, 2021 8:00 AM

Lebanese Jean as Desiree???

oh dear

by Anonymousreply 497January 27, 2021 10:34 AM

I remember Curley McDimple being all over TV in the early 70s.

We miss you Bayn Johnson!

by Anonymousreply 498January 27, 2021 11:08 AM

I wish the sound quality was better, r490. But it looks like Miss Nettleton was a lovely and elegant Desiree.

by Anonymousreply 499January 27, 2021 3:28 PM

Will Girl From North Country come. back or throw in the shredded, Depression era towel?

by Anonymousreply 500January 27, 2021 3:30 PM

It's...Bayn!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501January 27, 2021 3:31 PM

There were certainly audio bootlegs and home movies, r495.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502January 27, 2021 3:42 PM

"That's the one where I ACTED!" -- The Term

by Anonymousreply 503January 27, 2021 4:05 PM

What's it all about, World?

by Anonymousreply 504January 27, 2021 4:07 PM

R495, Ruth Jaroslaw is definitely Yente in that footage. And I think either Dolores Wilson or Peg Murray is playing Golde. I think it’s actually pre-shot from 1967 or 1968, not the early 80s.

by Anonymousreply 505January 27, 2021 4:08 PM

[quote]But it looks like Miss Nettleton was a lovely and elegant Desiree.

I saw this production. 1991 at the Doolittle Theatre in Hollywood.

I remember being enchanted by the whole thing (but, then, it was my first time seeing ALNM on stage). In addition to Lois Nettleton and John McMartin, the cast included Michelle Nicastro as Anne and Glynis Johns as Madame Armfeldt. Carl-Magnus was played by Jeff McCarthy.

Here's a video of "A Weekend in the Country" that is in much better shape than the "Send in the Clowns" above.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506January 27, 2021 4:58 PM

R502 [quote] There were certainly audio bootlegs and home movies.

I was obviously referring to the fact that there were no video bootlegs--full shows with sound--until 1980.

R505 [quote] I think it’s actually pre-shot from 1967 or 1968, not the early 80s.

It's not. I've had the same video, in better quality, for well over thirty years. It consists of one hour of pro-shot musical numbers from a 1983 Herschel Bernardi tour, with Thelma Lee, Ruth Jaraslow (who made an entire career of Yente), and Paul Lipson.

by Anonymousreply 507January 27, 2021 5:37 PM

I went to see a small production of ALNM in North Hollywood about 20 years ago directed by John Rubinstein. It was the first time ever seeing the show and the only songs I knew were Send in the Clowns and A Weekend in Country (from the Sondheim Celebration in 93). I wasn't even sure what the show was about. The only people in the cast I knew of were Jane Lanier, Matthew Ashford and Rubinstein himself.

The theater was awful, and the seats were basically folding chairs on bleachers. It was a real low rent event. Act One was absolutely interminable. The performances were bad, the direction was bad, the whole thing was sub-high school. At intermission, we were debating whether or not to stay for the 2nd act when I noticed that Joanna Gleason was sitting in the row in front of me a few seats over. I looked horrified and wondered what someone who worked w/ Sondheim so spectacularly must be thinking of this thing when she turned and looked right at me. My face must have said it all, because she discretely nodded and then we both laughed.

by Anonymousreply 508January 27, 2021 6:08 PM

Piaf with Jane Lapotaire and Zoe Wanamaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509January 27, 2021 6:33 PM

[quote] Piaf with Jane Lapotaire and Zoe Wanamaker.

Plus a young Jean Smart as Marlene Dietrich!

by Anonymousreply 510January 27, 2021 6:51 PM

Oh yes. She is marvellous.

by Anonymousreply 511January 27, 2021 6:55 PM

Great story, r508!

by Anonymousreply 512January 27, 2021 6:55 PM

When I saw Piaf on broadway Jane was out and some unknown named Judith Ivey went on in her place. She was amazing. Thanks for the video. Now I can finally see Jane :)

by Anonymousreply 513January 27, 2021 7:47 PM

R513 Judith is also in it. She has a small dog.....

by Anonymousreply 514January 27, 2021 7:49 PM

r513 - fun! I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed Judith Ivey in the excellent LA Opera production of A Little Night Music from the early 2000s. LA Opera very smartly loaded the cast with Broadway vets, rather than opera singers. Really excellent cast... Victor Garber, Laura Benanti, Michelle Pawk, Zoe Caldwell, Marc Kudisch and a young pre-movies fame Kristen Bell.

by Anonymousreply 515January 27, 2021 7:58 PM

I'll admit from the start I'm an eldergay but can someone please explain to me where Kristen Bell's fame and attachment to musical theater comes from?

by Anonymousreply 516January 27, 2021 8:15 PM

Wasn't Kristen in Ruthless? I know she did Reefer Madness Off Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 517January 27, 2021 8:21 PM

Tom Sawyer, r516!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518January 27, 2021 8:33 PM

[quote] When I saw Piaf on broadway Jane was out and some unknown named Judith Ivey went on in her place. She was amazing. Thanks for the video. Now I can finally see Jane :)

Judith Ivey was the matinee alternate for Jane; it was quite a taxing role.

[quote] I was surprised to find how much I enjoyed Judith Ivey in the excellent LA Opera production of A Little Night Music from the early 2000s. LA Opera very smartly loaded the cast with Broadway vets, rather than opera singers. Really excellent cast... Victor Garber, Laura Benanti, Michelle Pawk, Zoe Caldwell, Marc Kudisch and a young pre-movies fame Kristen Bell.

Some clips from the L.A. Opera production:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519January 27, 2021 8:35 PM

Kristen Bell in the off-Broadway production of "Reefer Madness" that preceded the TV film:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 520January 27, 2021 8:38 PM

^ I bloody loved that show, the LA cast album was brilliant. Shame 9/11 killed it in New York.

by Anonymousreply 521January 27, 2021 8:56 PM

The vanishing Tony Awards must go on:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522January 27, 2021 9:27 PM

Please. Only Jeremy O. Harris and Danny Burstein give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 523January 27, 2021 10:23 PM

And little sad Aaron.

by Anonymousreply 524January 27, 2021 10:49 PM

In honor of National Swing Day, 9 Broadway Stars Who Made Their Debut as Swings:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525January 27, 2021 11:58 PM

Jeremey O. Harris is going to shit on camera when he loses. I know a lot of Tony voters. They didn't think much of SLAVE PLAY. And they don't want to hear the words "And the Tony goes to....SLAVE PLAY!" The rest of America (and the world) would plotz.

by Anonymousreply 526January 28, 2021 12:44 AM

R507 Ruth Jaroslow was in the OBC of The Ritz, playing Vivian Proclo, wife of Gaetano Proclo (Jack Weston) who goes into hiding in the Ritz Baths. In the movie, Vivian was played by Kay Ballard.

by Anonymousreply 527January 28, 2021 12:57 AM

[quote] Vivian was played by Kay Ballard.

Shouldn't that be Kaye Ballard (except, of course, in "Molly")?

by Anonymousreply 528January 28, 2021 1:32 AM

[quote]Shouldn't that be Kaye Ballard (except, of course, in "Molly")?

Yes, it should.

by Anonymousreply 529January 28, 2021 1:46 AM

The Tony Awards won't happen until the theaters are about to open, whenever that is. There's no point until then.

by Anonymousreply 530January 28, 2021 1:54 AM

Who did Matthew Ashford play in that production of ALNM, R508? The Count?

by Anonymousreply 531January 28, 2021 2:38 AM

There were, in fact, many full-length bootleg videos with sound before 1980. I have a few in my collection -including Sweeney Todd with Len Cariou during it's first week in 1979, Evita in 1978, and A Chorus Line from 1976.

by Anonymousreply 532January 28, 2021 3:05 AM

No one answers me. ☹️ How did folks get away with shooting these when equipment was so much larger and noisier. 8mm film used to come in 3-minute reels. I can't picture it.

by Anonymousreply 533January 28, 2021 3:15 AM

Maybe we're not answering you because...oh I don't know....we don't know the answer?

by Anonymousreply 534January 28, 2021 3:21 AM

SOMEONE MUST

by Anonymousreply 535January 28, 2021 3:28 AM

Ken Mandelbaum, where are you??

by Anonymousreply 536January 28, 2021 3:41 AM

^ that reads like a show title from the '60s.

by Anonymousreply 537January 28, 2021 3:46 AM

[quote] There were, in fact, many full-length bootleg videos with sound before 1980. I have a few in my collection -including Sweeney Todd with Len Cariou during it's first week in 1979, Evita in 1978, and A Chorus Line from 1976.

There's no "Chorus Line" bootleg from 1976. There's just the Lincoln Center Theater on Film and Tape black-and-white pro-shot done at the Public Theater before the show moved to Broadway, and that video got into circulation in the early '80s. The first "Chorus Line" bootleg at the Shubert was done in February 1980.

The two existing bootlegs of "Evita" with Patti LuPone were done in January and March of 1980. And "Sweeney Todd" could not possibly have been taped during its "first week in 1979"; if it had, it would feature original cast member Victor Garber as Anthony, and neither of the two Angela-Len "Sweeney" bootlegs has Victor Garber.

by Anonymousreply 538January 28, 2021 4:05 AM

Amazing how you know who is or isn't on the videos in my collection, R538! I got the Sweeney and Evita vids from the guy who recorded them. They are not the ones generally in circulation, as this guy recorded only for his own enjoyment, and hasn't sold/traded stuff.

For what it's worth, I got confirmation of the date of the Evita video from a couple of cast members in the chorus, who said that they could see the red light of the video camera from the stage. The technology was so new that they weren't really sure what it was, but it was reported to the ASM, who contacted the house manager who alerted the ushers. They were very aware of the red light from that point forward, and said that they didn't think anyone had captured a full performance, let alone one where they were both in the show together (one was a swing). I showed them mine and -lo and behold -they were both there so that gave an exact date, as one left the show shortly afterward.

by Anonymousreply 539January 28, 2021 5:25 AM

[quote]starring tom bosley

Have you ever seen Ken Mandelbaun? He looks more like the pathetic loser in the movie “Office Space” who is obsessed with his stapler. Only in Ken’s case, he is obsessed with his video bootlegs. Which he refuses to share.

by Anonymousreply 540January 28, 2021 9:24 AM

[quote] Who did Matthew Ashford play in that production of ALNM, [R508]? The Count?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 541January 28, 2021 10:13 AM

Proof that MAME doesn't hold up. And this was over 2 decades ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 542January 28, 2021 4:52 PM

I saw that production. Christine was quite underwhelming. And why does it look like it’s snowing during the title number?

by Anonymousreply 543January 28, 2021 5:03 PM

Didn’t Ebersole play Vera opposite Michelle Lee at the Hollywood Bowl?

by Anonymousreply 544January 28, 2021 6:23 PM

Yes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545January 28, 2021 6:27 PM

Valens, do I remember that you posted My Beautiful Laundrette way back when? If so, could you repost? Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 546January 28, 2021 8:51 PM

^ Sure.

Arcadia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 547January 28, 2021 9:01 PM

My Beautiful Laundrette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548January 28, 2021 9:58 PM

Thank you. : )

by Anonymousreply 549January 28, 2021 10:03 PM

It's like Christmas and I don't know what to ask Santa for!

by Anonymousreply 550January 28, 2021 10:20 PM

WithOneLook recently posted a bunch of Rock Follies episodes so I made the logical conclusion it was a reconstituted Valens. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 551January 28, 2021 10:37 PM

Starting tomorrow BBC Radio 2 will devote three days and nights to musicals, commencing tomorrow with Sheridan’s Showstoppers (yes, THAT Sheridan) and finishing on Sunday night with The Greatest Show, a special concert with West End stars. Somewhere in between will be a show hosted by Jennifer Holliday and “When I Get My Name in Lights” hosted by Matthew Morrison. And of course in the middle of it all will be Elaine Paige with her demonic chuckle.

by Anonymousreply 552January 28, 2021 10:44 PM

R551 Stealy slut.

by Anonymousreply 553January 29, 2021 12:13 AM

I don’t steal, dear. I’m a huge Rock Follies fan and originally taped them off tv with my Betamax when I was a mere child. A few years ago I bought upgraded DVDs from a dealer and posted them so RF fans can enjoy. You’re welcome.

by Anonymousreply 554January 29, 2021 4:18 AM

...your tone seems very pointed. I was kidding, mostly, and obviously my motivation is for people to see things, as I am sure yours is.

by Anonymousreply 555January 29, 2021 6:53 AM

You’re both pretty

by Anonymousreply 556January 29, 2021 11:40 AM

Kidding back. Smooches. But I do get flack from people who think I’ve ‘stolen’ clips because they’ve seen them online elsewhere when all of the booty I have is out there and has been for years. The reason I don’t post full length bootlegs is I didn’t record them so they’re not mine to share in full. The exceptions are shows that were filmed by the producers (like TPOS) or things that were broadcast on tv. I do enjoy posting during this miserable period we’re slogging through and I’m glad people are enjoying the clips.

by Anonymousreply 557January 29, 2021 1:17 PM

Look back at SC...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558January 29, 2021 2:53 PM

Miss Barbara Sharma!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559January 29, 2021 2:54 PM

Love her chicken, R559.

by Anonymousreply 560January 29, 2021 4:21 PM

R559, I got scared for a moment and thought she died, too.

by Anonymousreply 561January 29, 2021 5:11 PM

[quote]Please. Only Jeremy O. Harris and Danny Burstein give a shit.

Don't be a dick, [r523]. Danny doesn't give a fuck about a Tony.

by Anonymousreply 562January 29, 2021 6:02 PM

The Pirates of Penzance with Brent Carver.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563January 29, 2021 6:04 PM

r559 Myrna Morgenstein ... and the FEEB!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 564January 29, 2021 6:53 PM

[quote] Don't be a dick, [[R523]]. Danny doesn't give a fuck about a Tony.

Don't be a fool. Of course he does. He's the Kate Winslet of Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 565January 29, 2021 7:04 PM

1972 TV production of "Of Thee I Sing" with Carroll O'Connor, Cloris Leachman, Michele Lee, and Jack Gilford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 566January 29, 2021 7:07 PM

Oooh, I've always wanted to see that, R566. Nice find. I wish someone would get ahold of the production CBS did of Sticks and Bones. I had tickets to see a screening of it at a revival house about 5 years ago with someone from the cast (I think) to do a Q&A and I got stuck working late and missed it.

by Anonymousreply 567January 29, 2021 7:11 PM

R567 Keep the faith, old stuff turns up all the time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568January 29, 2021 7:38 PM

[quote]Don't be a fool. Of course he does. He's the Kate Winslet of Broadway.

You're doubling down on being an asshole, [r565]? Five years ago, winning a Tony might have been more important to Burstein, but he was never the kind of guy that awards mattered to, really. A workman-like actor, like Michael Mulharen. He nearly died from Covid this year, hospitalized for nearly a week, coughing blood. He then lost his wife to a horrific disease. I've done a few shows with him, and I know him well. He's a decent man who misses his wife very much. Winning an award right now is nowhere near the top of his list.

Stop being a dick. It's embarrassing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569January 29, 2021 9:18 PM

Perhaps this isn't the place for you, R569. If you're looking for sympathy, you should probably go.

by Anonymousreply 570January 29, 2021 9:22 PM

And by the way, I happen to know him, also. The guy is pretentious as hell and drops names like they're right out of the oven. Don't tell me he isn't dying for a Tony award.

by Anonymousreply 571January 29, 2021 9:24 PM

I'm with r569 on this one.

by Anonymousreply 572January 29, 2021 9:49 PM

I don't really care.

by Anonymousreply 573January 29, 2021 9:54 PM

Thanks, [r572.] I've known Danny for years. Always the first guy to step up when someone needs help.

[quote]Perhaps this isn't the place for you, [R569]. If you're looking for sympathy, you should probably go.

Looking for sympathy? What a weird thing to say. I can deal out pointless bitchery, but basic decency still exists here . I've also been here from day one. I'll be here after you've gone.

[r570]/[r573]. You are obviously trolling. I cordially invite you to DIAGF. Done with you.

by Anonymousreply 574January 29, 2021 9:59 PM

I'm sure you don't, r573, you don't strike me as particularly empathetic.

by Anonymousreply 575January 29, 2021 10:15 PM

Dear Evan Hansen film will be released September 24. Apparently it was filmed last summer.

Surprised they're not waiting for Oscar season proper, but I guess this means we'll be subject to a few extra months of Ben campaigning for it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576January 29, 2021 10:51 PM

And Tony voting will start in March, a full year after shutdown. No date for the actual ceremony - seems most likely at this point they'll hold off until Broadway reopens and try to use it as an advertisement to get people back. Though seeing the smugness of Jeremy Harris isn't likely to act as a draw for many people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 577January 29, 2021 10:56 PM

Eh, just send a press release and be done with it.

by Anonymousreply 578January 30, 2021 12:10 AM

Such a stunning photo...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 579January 30, 2021 1:37 PM

As this thread approaches its end, I've still never been able to make it stick in my watched threads list. I'm hoping it's just some weird glitch with this particular thread and it won't happen with the next theater thread. If it DOES continue to happen, I think I may get tired of DL and opt out altogether, and I certainly won't donate money again.

by Anonymousreply 580January 30, 2021 5:04 PM

So, what shall we call the next thread?

Theatre Gossip #411: We don't need no stinking information -We're Dataloungers!

Theatre Gossip #411: Broadway Needs a Shot in the Arm

Theater Gossip #411: Why Does Autocorrect Always Cancel MAME?

Theatre Gossip #411: The Clap It So Richly Deserves!

by Anonymousreply 581January 30, 2021 5:10 PM

I believe the article in the NYT said the League was absolutely going to wait until Broadway was open again to hold the ceremony. I agree with the poster above, just hold a press conference. No one cares. But I'm sure they'll want to do something to celebrate Broadway's reopening (which they should, but I don't think it should be tied to the Tonys).

by Anonymousreply 582January 30, 2021 5:50 PM

They're desperate for the TV time

by Anonymousreply 583January 30, 2021 6:09 PM

True, R583, so if they do a televised ceremony, they should wait until everything is open again. But it won't do them much good if the shows (at least the musicals) that are nominated don't come back. This will likely be a ceremony where we see numbers from Wicked, The Lion King, Hamilton, and maybe Moulin Rouge. Is Tina coming back? Jagged Little Pill? Will Netflix foot the bill for a Diana number to promote their filming of it? Maybe they could get SJP and Matthew to do a few minutes from Plaza Suite.

by Anonymousreply 584January 30, 2021 6:13 PM

It really doesn't matter to me, r581. It's the content of the thread I'm interested in, not the cleverness or lack thereof the title.

by Anonymousreply 585January 30, 2021 6:30 PM

A "Welcome Back, Broadway" special, separate from the Tony Awards, wouldn't be a bad idea. I've said it before, but I think when things are 100 percent back, a revival of 42nd Street would go over like gangbusters. You just know that the speech before "Lullaby of Broadway" would earn cheers every night.

by Anonymousreply 586January 30, 2021 7:17 PM

Ouch.

by Anonymousreply 587January 30, 2021 8:54 PM

R586, agreed, but I really wouldn't say that's enough reason for another revival of 42nd STREET. There are lots of shows that have lines and songs that would go over especially well to celebrate the return of Broadway after the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 588January 30, 2021 9:14 PM

So every other thread mentions Armie Hammer, and now he's dropped out of two film projects. Will he return to Broadway if [italic]The Minutes[/italic] comes back?

by Anonymousreply 589January 30, 2021 9:20 PM

r588, how about...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590January 30, 2021 9:32 PM

Last 10 posts.

by Anonymousreply 591January 30, 2021 9:38 PM

Rachael Lily Rosenbloom!

by Anonymousreply 592January 30, 2021 9:40 PM

Charlie and Algernon!

by Anonymousreply 593January 30, 2021 9:46 PM

Wicked!

by Anonymousreply 594January 30, 2021 10:29 PM

Molly!

by Anonymousreply 595January 30, 2021 10:59 PM

Oh for chrissakes, somebody start a new thread and link it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 596January 30, 2021 11:04 PM

Those are some mighty nice tits ya got there, Gretch!

by Anonymousreply 597January 30, 2021 11:11 PM

Papermill Show Boat

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 598January 30, 2021 11:30 PM

New thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 599January 30, 2021 11:30 PM

And BAJOUR!

by Anonymousreply 600January 30, 2021 11:31 PM

Someone Bajour this fucker.

by Anonymousreply 601January 30, 2021 11:31 PM

Whoop-Up!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 602January 30, 2021 11:34 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!