Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Greatest dramatic moment yet on "The Crown"

What would you say was the best?

I've listed my own favorites. You may have your own--please list them and vote for #10 if so.

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2021 1:39 AM

Other possible moments:

*George VI crying at the Christmas carolers, realizing he will die soon (s1)

*The old Kenyan tribal chief standing at attention by the road to honor the brand-new Queen (s1)

*The Queen reducing Churchill to tears after he lied about his illness (s1)

*Churchill realizing he keeps painting the same pond because he associates it with his dead infant daughter (s1)

*A young and guilt-ridden Prince Philip walking behind his adored sister's funeral cortege in Nazi Germany (s2)

*A very young Prince Charles panicking as the plane his father is piloting hits turbulence (s2)

*A broken Margaret taking off her false eyelashes after realizing that despite her success with LBJ she can never really share in the Queen's duties (s3)

*A teenage Prince Charles performing the "hollow crown" monologue from "Richard II" at Cambridge, with only his sister realizing what it means to him (s3)

*Margaret realizing she has driven Roddy Llewellyn away in horror because of her crazy fighting with her husband (s3)

*Diana purging herself after meeting Camilla and realizing she and Charles are still an item (s4)

*Camilla telling Charles she could never win in a PR battle with Diana (s4)

*A unsmiling Diana participating in the photo shoot with the other, very happy members of the royal family at Christmas (s4)

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2021 5:20 AM

THIS strangely homoerotic yet unnecessary scene right in the first episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2021 9:16 AM

You do realise none of this happened as depicted, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2021 10:04 AM

[quote]You do realise none of this happened as depicted, don't you?

I think at this point everyone does and the idiot is the person chiming in with such comments for assuming people don't realize it's a tv series.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2021 11:11 AM

When the next Queen of England arrives at Buckingham Palace for the first time, in a compact car that she drove herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2021 11:32 AM

Said it before. Will say it again. The cinematography surrounding the minutes up to the intro of Princess Anne. Camera low to ground. Clomping of boots. Camera follows the boots down hallways. Finally pans up and there is her face perfectly speaking to Pr Phillip (her dad) in that clipped, no lip movement, patrician manner. That young actress KILLS. She is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2021 11:46 AM

Queen Mary’s deep curtsy. The actress never took her eyes off the queen.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2021 1:15 PM

When Claire Foy's Queen is listening to the reports of Jackie Kennedy's dismissive comments, the look of suppressed shock and hurt made me tear up.

by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2021 5:22 PM

[quote] You do realise none of this happened as depicted, don't you?

r3, do you have trouble yourself telling the difference between scripted TV series and factual events?

I cannot imagine why otherwise you would ask such a stupid question.

by Anonymousreply 9January 14, 2021 2:06 AM

I quite liked the confrontation between Elizabeth and Philip in the second last scene of their second series. I think it was called Mystery Man.

Runner up Elizabeth and Margaret after suicide ish attempt.

by Anonymousreply 10January 14, 2021 2:21 AM

Queen Mary's curtsy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11January 14, 2021 5:07 AM

It's such a great moment when Eileen Atkins curtsies like that--but it must have hurt her elderly knees so much!

by Anonymousreply 12January 14, 2021 5:11 AM

The Queen learning of Jackie Kennedy's opinion of her visit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 14, 2021 5:12 AM

This is the moment when Diana hugs the queen.

Emma Corrin deserves the Emmy just for the way she says "Don't dismiss me, please!" with so much panic in her voice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14January 14, 2021 5:14 AM

Young Philip in his sister's funeral procession. Swastikas, snowfall, Mozart.

by Anonymousreply 15January 14, 2021 5:16 AM

This is Lord Snowdon's moment in the carriage with his mother on the way to his wedding.

I voted for this, because I think this is the best moment of writing in the entire show. As Snowdon realizes, he of course HAS done this all for her, since she is such a monstrous social climber; and he is about to enter into a doomed marriage with Princess Margaret just to gain her affection (which she is incapable of giving him).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16January 14, 2021 5:18 AM

In the ninth episode of the third series, Charles has an exchange with Wallis Simpson after the Duke of Windsor’s funeral.

Offering him the second of two pieces of advice, she warns him to ‘Watch out for your family’ and Charles genially replies, as if he’s politely humouring an older eccentric, that ‘They mean well’. Then Wallis holds his gaze, and there’s a brilliant, dramatic pause, a fraction of a second longer than one would expect. ‘No, they don’t’ she retorts.

It’s a minor, but beautifully acted exchange, and it’s as if the entire dramatic premise of The Crown fits into that slightly extended pause.

by Anonymousreply 17January 14, 2021 5:49 AM

Telegraph says they are going to do two episodes around Bashir duping Diana. Season five to end with Paris. Season six to end with 2002 Jubilee.

I stil dread stubby nosed Imelda Staunton.

by Anonymousreply 18May 29, 2021 1:00 AM

[quote]The ancient Queen Mary sinking

Triggered.

by Anonymousreply 19May 29, 2021 1:22 AM

“‘Shit just got real”, that’s what Elizabeth was thinking when her grandmother curtsied to her.

She looked petrified.

That was an amazing scene. Wow.

by Anonymousreply 20May 29, 2021 1:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!