Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Netflix: Pretend it’s a city

This is a series produced and directed by Martin Scorsese about NYC’s favorite Curmudgeon Fran Lebowitz.

It’s hilarious. I know she rubs some people the wrong way but I find her incredibly witty with great delivery.

Her stories are of course NYC-centric so the show is a must for NYers at least

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2021 5:14 AM

I heard about this. I can't wait.

by Anonymousreply 1January 9, 2021 4:17 AM

Years ago, I was volunteering for a benefit for AIDS Project Los Angeles at the Century City Hotel in Los Angeles. I was in the media wrangling, so I had free access to backstage and non-public areas. I saw Fran and her then husband standing off alone. I went up to her and complimented her on how stunning she looked that evening. I had a very nice five minute conversation with her.

Pleasant to be around when she isn't doing that voice.

by Anonymousreply 2January 9, 2021 4:36 AM

R2 Fran? The lifelong Lesbian?!

by Anonymousreply 3January 9, 2021 5:06 AM

Her story about the subway being shut down because they were investigating a "foul odor" was hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 4January 9, 2021 5:51 AM

r2 is probably talking about Fran Drescher.

by Anonymousreply 5January 9, 2021 5:52 AM

I’m sure he was talking about Drescher. I was at a book signing with this Fran - she was as friendly and chatty as someone can realistically be at a book signing. She’s wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 6January 9, 2021 6:14 AM

Thanks, OP. I'm in the Netherlands and glad to see it's available on "our" Netflix. This is next on my list of things to watch.

by Anonymousreply 7January 9, 2021 6:24 AM

Watching and loving it too, op. I needed something like this to take my mind off the insanity of the last three days.

Also, I loved learning about the Panorama in the Queens Museum. I’d never heard of it and I’m a native New Yorker, born and raised!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 9, 2021 6:51 AM

Try to keep up, R2!

by Anonymousreply 9January 9, 2021 6:59 AM

[quote] This is a series produced and directed by Martin Scorsese about NYC’s favorite Curmudgeon Fran Lebowitz.

[quote] I saw Fran and her then husband standing off alone. I went up to her and complimented her on how stunning she looked that evening. I had a very nice five minute conversation with her. Pleasant to be around when she isn't doing that voice.

[quote] [R2] Fran? The lifelong Lesbian?!

[quote] I’m sure he was talking about Drescher.

This is why I will never be able to quit Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 10January 9, 2021 8:16 AM

Fran L is absolutely hilarious and spot on, as any NYer can attest to.

I don’t understand why l there are people who absolutely hate her

by Anonymousreply 11January 9, 2021 12:48 PM

Started watching this last night. I love her. A true original. Makes me miss NYC so much. I can't wait for pandemic to be over so I can go back.

by Anonymousreply 12January 9, 2021 12:55 PM

R2 sounds like a real idiot, can't tell the difference between Fran Lebowitz and Fran Drescher.

by Anonymousreply 13January 9, 2021 4:37 PM

I laughed out loud several times

by Anonymousreply 14January 9, 2021 5:13 PM

OMG I Love her so good

by Anonymousreply 15January 10, 2021 11:31 PM

I think she's the only "get off my lawn" grump who makes sense since she doesn't necessarily aim her vitriol against younger generations and just accepts that they do things differently and will have to live with their decisions while she's dead by then.

I love how she is almost giddy sharing how bad she's with money and how every money decision turned out bad (like selling her Warhol art only a few weeks before he died or paying way too much for her apartment).

I especially love the anecdote about one of her neighbors seeing her with travel suitcases and asking her if she goes on a vacation and she barks back that she doesn't do vacations she only travels to make money (aka speaking engagements).

by Anonymousreply 16January 20, 2021 6:09 PM

It was messy, the organization and editing were muddy and disjointed.

by Anonymousreply 17January 20, 2021 6:16 PM

I'm almost as bad as r2. I thought they were talking about a photographer instead of a writer. Then I realized I was thinking of Annie Liebowitz.

by Anonymousreply 18January 21, 2021 2:10 AM

I love her delivery. So matter of fact

by Anonymousreply 19January 21, 2021 2:23 AM

This series really warmed me to her. She seems like a cool person to have a chat with.

by Anonymousreply 20January 21, 2021 2:31 AM

She has the brains and the quickest, most hilarious comebacks. A lot of her opinions ring true. A real gem.

by Anonymousreply 21January 21, 2021 3:26 AM

So Martin Scorsese has been reduced to being Ed McMahon, laughing uproariously at even the lamest utterance by Fran?

by Anonymousreply 22January 21, 2021 3:34 AM

R22 omg this!!!

by Anonymousreply 23January 21, 2021 5:12 AM

I enjoyed it. Some repetition but overall interesting. More about the conversation than the visuals. I put it on to listen to in bed.

by Anonymousreply 24January 21, 2021 5:14 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!