Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MURKOWSKI says Trump should resign

Scathing comments.

Sorry if this has been posted already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55January 9, 2021 3:46 AM

Good for her. I think she actually has some integrity.

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2021 9:09 PM

U.S. Sen. Lisa Murkowski said Friday that Donald Trump should resign the presidency immediately and that if the Republican Party cannot separate itself from Trump, she isn’t certain she has a future with the party.

“I want him to resign. I want him out. He has caused enough damage,” Murkowski, R-Alaska, said during an interview from her small Capitol office, steps away from the Senate chambers that were invaded by pro-Trump rioters on Wednesday.

“I think he should leave. He said he’s not going to show up. He’s not going to appear at the at the inauguration. He hasn’t been focused on what is going on with COVID. He’s either been golfing or he’s been inside the Oval Office fuming and throwing every single person who has been loyal and faithful to him under the bus, starting with the vice president. He doesn’t want to stay there. He only wants to stay there for the title. He only wants to stay there for his ego. He needs to get out. He needs to do the good thing, but I don’t think he’s capable of doing a good thing,” she said.

Trump to blame for riot, Murkowski says

Murkowski said that while “there may have been many, many, many, many good Americans who came to Washington, D.C., because they felt strongly in support of this president,” Trump incited them to storm the Capitol after a speech near the Washington Monument.

Even before Election Day, the president refused to say whether he would accept the election results, Murkowski said, and then tried to overturn the results.

“I will attribute it to the president, who said, even after his vice president told him that morning, ‘I do not have the constitutional authority to do what you have asked me to do. I cannot do it. I have to protect and uphold the Constitution.’ Even after the vice president told President Trump that, he still told his supporters to fight. How are they supposed to take that? It’s an order from the president. And so that’s what they did. They came up and they fought and people were harmed, and injured and died,” Murkowski said.

Could Murkowski become an independent?

Asked whether she intends to remain a Republican, Murkowski said that depends on the party itself.

“Well, you know, there’s a lot of people who actually thought that I did that in 2010, think that I became an independent. I didn’t have any reason to leave my party in 2010. I was a Republican who ran a write-in campaign and I was successful. But I will tell you, if the Republican Party has become nothing more than the party of Trump, I sincerely question whether this is the party for me,” she said.

Views on the new-look U.S. Senate

The U.S. Senate is now split 50-50 between Republicans and Democratic-aligned senators, and the tiebreaking vote will be held by Vice President-elect Kamala Harris.

Murkowski said she is disappointed that Republicans lost the Senate majority by losing two Georgia runoff elections this week.

“I think that that was another area where I think you can look directly to President Trump. ... That was very, very, very unfortunate,” she said.

Murkowski said she is speaking frequently with U.S. Sen. Joe Manchin, D-West Virginia, who is the most conservative Democrat in the Senate and will be a key vote on many Senate actions.

“We’ve talked a lot. In fact, my 3 o’clock call is with Joe and with a bipartisan group of colleagues that are really concerned about where we are, and how we move forward,” she said.

“I think I am including myself as part of a group of members that wants to work to try to bring things together in the Senate and wants to try to get some business done. And this is going to be a (Biden) administration where I’m going to be disagreeing with where they’re taking us on a lot of issues and policy, but I would like to think that we’re never going to question their fidelity to the oath of office,” Murkowski said.

by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2021 9:10 PM

Concerned Susie Collins riding the Murkowski coattails in 3-2-1.

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2021 9:11 PM

R1 Republicans sold their integrity years ago. This is just distancing themselves from a hot mess they created.

by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2021 9:11 PM

She’s an enabler. Did she vote to remove him a year ago when she had the chance? Nope.

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2021 9:14 PM

Be realistic, R4.

Romney, Sasse, Murkowski ... could start an avalanche called 'conviction'.

by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2021 9:14 PM

Them Frankensteins created this monster, now they don't know what to do with him!

by Anonymousreply 7January 8, 2021 9:15 PM

Sunshine Patriot, calling for Ms Murkowski.

Too little, too late, toots.

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2021 9:18 PM

"Questions her future as a Republican?" So she's going to declare herself an independent to distance herself from the GOP stench, but still vote whichever way they want.

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2021 9:19 PM

Romney, Murkowski, Sasse and most likely Collins. Thats' already 4 GOP senators before the process even started. Given that Loeffler is no longer in the senate, that makes one GOP less vote needed. I think it's remote but not impossible.

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2021 9:20 PM

Fyi, she’s up for re-election in 2022. That’s all you need to know for why she’s speaking out.

by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2021 9:21 PM

He will never resign, not while people riot and murder in his name.

by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2021 9:21 PM

I’m voting for peach jam if if can sit next to that hottie Russ Feingold.

by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2021 9:22 PM

R10, even if they can get Warnock and Ossoff sworn in next week, they will still need 13 more Republicans to convict. I say put the fuckers on the spot. Make them vote.

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2021 9:22 PM

[quote]Romney, Murkowski, Sasse and most likely Collins.

These 4 are never going to wash the Trump stink off of them. Especially Susan “Trump has learned his lesson” Collins.

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2021 9:23 PM

[quote]if the Republican Party has become nothing more than the party of Trump

Lady, this stopped being an "if" in 2016.

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2021 9:24 PM

R14, that's what I meant. All of them are making very careful political calculation and under the current external pressure, 12 could easily crack unlike the first time around. P.S: Without Loeffler, I think they may only need 12 votes. But I may be wrong.

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2021 9:25 PM

I don’t even care what the Senate does. The House still needs to impeach. Even if it’s just a symbolic gesture...Congress needs to send a message that his actions are unacceptable and will not be tolerated. The Constitution intends for there to be checks and balances in the government. The House has a duty to impeach again.

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2021 9:25 PM

This is great news! If she were to leave the Republican Party now, Schumer would have control of the Senate next week and control the trial. This might not seem like much on the surface, but this is a direct threat to mango Mussolini; resign or Chuck gets you and the narrative. Having the trial controlled by Schumer will be a PR nightmare for traitor Republicans. And having survived being successfully primaried on the right she can do this.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2021 9:32 PM

[quote] Even if it’s just a symbolic gesture

It will certainly permanently change impeachment from a means to remove a president to just being a way for the House majority to score political points. Now we can expect every president to be impeached at least once.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2021 9:37 PM

Wouldn’t it be better to just go for a censure? They can get that done. If it’s so urgent, why wait until Monday? It’s starting to feel like there’s too much talking going on.

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2021 9:38 PM

Not me! He's learned his lesson this time.

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2021 9:40 PM

[quote] If she were to leave the Republican Party now, Schumer would have control of the Senate next week.

She would caucus with the Republicans still, even as an independent. She definitely does not want the Democrats in control.

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2021 9:40 PM

R22 Is Susan Collins still concerned?

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2021 9:41 PM

Well it’s being reported that Miss Lindsey called trump last night and told him there were enough votes in the senate to convict him which promted the “concession” video

Agreed with everyone-this bitch can shove it. She’s been silent for four years. She gets no credit from me.

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2021 9:45 PM

She can temporarily caucus with the Democrats or she can caucus with no one. This gives every other Republican who would not survived being primaried cover. McTurtle is probably on board with the plan. He's losing the majority on the 20th anyway. Best case scenario for him, Trump understands the threat and resigns, Murkowki remains a Republican. Worst case scenario, he loses the majority 9 days early and the Republicans can pretend to be victims of the Libtard spin machine as they are forced to convict after the damning trial run by evil Charlie.

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2021 9:47 PM

I wonder if Lindsay really did say that to him, and if it’s actually true. I haven’t heard that one yet.

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2021 9:47 PM

Anyone with a brain should know that is not going to happen.

Not unless they guarantee him immunity form all prosecution.

And probably not even then.

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2021 9:47 PM

A second impeachment takes away his Presidential pension, health care, Secret Service protection and paid staff. And hopefully, intelligence reports.

by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2021 9:48 PM

Just a second impeachment in the House is enough R29? Doesn’t require Senate conviction?

by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2021 9:48 PM

Murkowski would become an Independent.

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2021 9:48 PM

It’s not true. Check out Graham‘s Twitter feed. He’s saying any attempt to impeach him would fail in the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2021 9:50 PM

Good question R30. I read it late last night. I'm just guessing it would mean it also needs Senate conviction. I will see if I can find it again.

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2021 9:51 PM

[quote]Check out Graham‘s Twitter feed. He’s saying any attempt to impeach him would fail in the Senate.

Big deal. They need to put this on record that they tried to hold Trump accountable for crimes against the country. Make Republicans go on record that they support the law or accept a dictatorship. Nail their balls to the wall.

by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2021 9:52 PM

Here's what I just found -

In 1974, the Justice Department ruled that presidents who resign from office before their official terms of office expire are entitled to the same lifetime pension and benefits extended to other former presidents. However, presidents who are removed from office due to impeachment forfeit all benefits.

Also, for former Presidents, only children 16 and under receive Secret Service protection

by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2021 9:57 PM

Graham changes positions as often as the wind (though he's, sad to think about it, always a bottom). He's getting jeered now for speaking out even a li'l bit against Trump.

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2021 9:59 PM

McConnell will be in charge up to the 20th. Murkowski will not do anything to change that. McConnell will slow walk any proceedings until time runs out.

by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote]Wouldn’t it be better to just go for a censure? They can get that done. If it’s so urgent, why wait until Monday? It’s starting to feel like there’s too much talking going on.

No, censure isn't better. But I agree they shouldn't be waiting. The impeachment vote should have taken place yesterday. Dump is an immediate national security threat.

by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2021 10:10 PM

So what happens if the House impeaches, and McTurtle doesn't do any thing with it before the 20th? Trump will leave office in a sort of "permanently impeached" state. He won't be acquitted if the Senate doesn't hold a trial or vote. It's never happened before.

by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2021 10:16 PM

Trump has just been permanently banned from Twitter.

Michelle Obama is powerful!

by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2021 10:46 PM

r32 Stop confusing impeachment and removal. The Senate does not impeach.

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2021 11:03 PM

This stupid spineless cow was loyal to Trump for years. FUCK HER

by Anonymousreply 42January 9, 2021 12:51 AM

Yes the House should have had the Vote FRIDAY

by Anonymousreply 43January 9, 2021 12:52 AM

If McConnell doesn't let the Senate have their trial till the 20th, then it will be Schumer who runs it. Not McConnell.

by Anonymousreply 44January 9, 2021 2:34 AM

R44, you can't run it, once Trump leaves. It's over. McConnell knows what he is doing.

by Anonymousreply 45January 9, 2021 2:36 AM

^ Maybe. The Constitution is silent on timing of impeachment trials. Since bar to holding office again is one of the results of conviction, there's no logical reason you can't hold a trial on an impeached elected official after their term expires.

by Anonymousreply 46January 9, 2021 2:45 AM

With all this antagonism, I think Trump will have to break from the Republican Party at some point and start his own party. This split would be good for Dems.

by Anonymousreply 47January 9, 2021 3:01 AM

Good for her. She's right. Dump is a fucking treasonous disgrace.

He obviously won't resign but everything is collapsing around him. His staff have taken over and are ignoring him.

And - I'm not sure how many people understand the level of devastation he will be be facing at being permanently banned from Twitter. It's been his mouthpiece as long as it has existed. And no Parler won't do the job as a replacement.

Good.

by Anonymousreply 48January 9, 2021 3:05 AM

I like to keep informed by reading comments on those grotty right wing sites and that's exactly what they are all talking about over at Br-e!t-B-@rt R47.

Splitting off from the GOP and forming their own party and the want it to be called " The Trump Party" or the "Patriot Party". I'm only surprised that they aren't openly entertaining “The Ku Klux Klan Party".

Ah ha ha ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 49January 9, 2021 3:09 AM

R48 Well Parler has been dismantled now, too, so it's not an option anyway.

by Anonymousreply 50January 9, 2021 3:19 AM

Has it R50? What do you mean? What the?

by Anonymousreply 51January 9, 2021 3:23 AM

Oh - Google suspending downloads and Apple considering banning downloads of the app you mean R50?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52January 9, 2021 3:25 AM

Dumb b*tch. She could have voted to remove him from office and she didn't. This is the inevitable consequence of her failure and inaction.

by Anonymousreply 53January 9, 2021 3:27 AM

R52 Yes. My sense of it was that Parler has been made impotent somehow, so that these treasonous folks can't use it to plot more treasons.

by Anonymousreply 54January 9, 2021 3:40 AM

They can't download it now from Google platform (Android users) and Apple is considering banning it too (iPhones/iPads) so that effectively neuters Parler.

Those that already have the software - maybe the platforms will block it.

by Anonymousreply 55January 9, 2021 3:46 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!