Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Business Insider: This Was A Coup Attempt And Trump Had Help From Feds And Police

Also, Rachel Maddow spelled it out on her show. He replaced DOD officials with toadies and they held off the National Guard even though Maryland Republican Governor kept asking if they needed help and could they have authorization.

I’m trying to rap my head around this. Was this a genuine attempt on the Senate and House member’s lives? Some of the police clearly helped. Everyone saw that.

Europe views yesterday as a failed coup attempt, but an attempt. The article is chilling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245January 12, 2021 11:22 PM

All you have to do is look at the raw footage. For sure many officers did their duty, but I saw with my own eyes officers helping the terrorists. We’ve got a serious fucking problem now.

by Anonymousreply 1January 8, 2021 3:43 AM

What is very concerning of course is that he does have support amongst the police and most likely some military.

So, the current Defense Secretary is a traitor? How exactly does this all play out? If this is deemed a coup and there is evidence he was going to off some people including Pence, will Trump be tried and deemed a traitor? It would seem to me his enablers in Congress will have to be removed and tried as well.

The article says people are going to have trouble coming to grips with the enormity of what just happened, and I have to agree. This is why the movement on 25 or impeachment has to be swift.

Does he know he’s failed? The latest Twitter post seems like he’s trying to save his ass and he finally knows it’s over. Did his staff know? How would Betsy DeVos NOT know? Her brother has a private military beholden to Trump FFS. Is she bailing because her told it’s over and she needed to get out now?

Wtf did we actually just witness?

by Anonymousreply 2January 8, 2021 3:44 AM

Not turning my Ad Blocker off. Sorry, Business Insider. I don’t need to read you.

by Anonymousreply 3January 8, 2021 3:46 AM

If true, why so many people were willing to follow him into this? I don’t mean those marching.

by Anonymousreply 4January 8, 2021 3:47 AM

Power, money, etc

by Anonymousreply 5January 8, 2021 3:50 AM

Yes, OP. It was! 100% coup!

by Anonymousreply 6January 8, 2021 3:50 AM

Did you guys seen the scene of the woman getting shot? There’s a crowd on a landing bashing in windows & banging on doors trying to break them down. A bunch of ARMED UNIFORMED COPS come up the stairs, look at the mob, turn around & walk back down the stairs. They left the mob to break windows & enter.

In a few seconds you hear the shot as she’s climbing in a broken window. The guys who shot her were wearing suits. They looked Iike Secret Service to me. People start yelling Medic! and the cops came sauntering back upstairs.

They deliberately walked away & to let a mob break down doors & smash windows.

by Anonymousreply 7January 8, 2021 3:51 AM

Power, to see their dream of white supremacy come through. Repress and abuse woman. Strip them of all power

Kill gay and trans people at will

by Anonymousreply 8January 8, 2021 3:51 AM

So the ten Sec Def WaPo letter was a warning to the military that they shouldn’t help with the coup or they would be court martialed, tried, and put to death? That letter is extraordinary.

by Anonymousreply 9January 8, 2021 3:52 AM

THE 1 % RICH AND POWERFUL HAVE RULED THIS COUNTRY FOR A LONG TIME. THEY DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE IT UP. AMERICANS HAVE BEEN FOCUSED ON OTHER THINGS THIS ENTIRE TIME. I'M TALKING DECADES!

THE RICH ARE GETTING RICHER AS EVERY DAY PASSES AT THE EXPENSE OF US! NO ONE TALKS ABOUT OR DOES ANYTHING ABOUT IT!

EAT THE GODDAMN FUCKING RICH YOU CUNTS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10January 8, 2021 3:56 AM

[quote]They deliberately walked away & to let a mob break down doors & smash windows.

And to finish this thought: they walked away so the rioters could get inside and kill or hurt the people on the other side.

by Anonymousreply 11January 8, 2021 3:57 AM

Why are some of you so fucking naive to think some of the cops WEREN'T in on this? Where the fucking did you grow up? Sheeeeeeeesh!!

by Anonymousreply 12January 8, 2021 3:59 AM

[quote]I’m trying to rap my head around this.

Oh DEAR!!!

by Anonymousreply 13January 8, 2021 3:59 AM

Yup, R11.

And don’t think countries around the world didn’t see that. They watched American cops let rioters into the seat of govt, let them break down doors & windows, let them get to where Congress was in order to “arrest” them (and hurt or kill them if they put up a fightJ. If Pence hadn’t been there the Secret Service wouldn’t have been there. Who knows what may have happened.

Our allies & enemies watched this happen. This is not some little thing. They understand our media has been manipulated by Rupert Murdoch for decades & that more rightwing propaganda is being pumped out by more rightwing media every day & that half of all Americans believe it. This is a very unstable country. Our enemies know it.

by Anonymousreply 14January 8, 2021 4:05 AM

This was all so apparent to the many of us who watched the events as they were live-streamed yet there is barely any reference within domestic and international media reporting. Astonishing that more people (especially elected officers who were allegedly targeted) were not hurt or killed. Such a potentially murderous situation. Unbelievable.

by Anonymousreply 15January 8, 2021 4:05 AM

We love a good coup. The US has so much experience dishing them out for over 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 16January 8, 2021 4:07 AM

We ARE highly unstable R14 and with such a huge military, absurd amounts of cash, and endless nukes we are now probably the most dangerous country in the world. We’d be third world if we didn’t have the things I listed.

by Anonymousreply 17January 8, 2021 4:07 AM

[Quote] This was all so apparent to the many of us who watched the events as they were live-streamed yet there is barely any reference within domestic and international media reporting.

Yes. The media is just as corrupt.

by Anonymousreply 18January 8, 2021 4:07 AM

[quote] All you have to do is look at the raw footage. For sure many officers did their duty

What you saw were officers who were around the politicians. All the other officers who were away from the politicians, stood down

Had any politicians been seriously hurt the cops would have been arrested for standing down.

by Anonymousreply 19January 8, 2021 4:10 AM

The video leaves little room for doubt that some sort of fix was in, as frightening as it is to contemplate. What other possible explanation is there? Them not accepting the help from MD makes no sense if they were truly trying to stop it.

by Anonymousreply 20January 8, 2021 4:10 AM

I stopped watching US news when MSNBC fucked over Hillary in 2016 especially that pos carpet cunt!

by Anonymousreply 21January 8, 2021 4:11 AM

Mmm not “many” R15. I would say most people including the media are in denial right now. I know I still am. I can’t bring myself to watch the clips of the cops opening the gates for example. That kind of betrayal is too dark and profound for me. I can’t believe that level of hatred exists for other citizens within this country, and that the people who perpetrated this console themselves by calling themselves patriots and us traitors when the exact opposite is true. I will come to terms with it and will become even more of a misanthrope, if possible, but right now I’m still processing.

by Anonymousreply 22January 8, 2021 4:12 AM

Americans are so fucking busy on the cell phones, watching Kim K and family and other delusional nonsense. It was a perfect time so why not.

by Anonymousreply 23January 8, 2021 4:14 AM

[quote] This was all so apparent to the many of us who watched the events as they were live-streamed yet there is barely any reference within domestic and international media reporting.

The rest of the world knew donald trump was a crazy dictator 3-4yrs ago. It's just that America and Americans were too dumb and too lazy to do anything about it.

if hawley, cruz, jordan and all the other idiots aren't arrested/expelled from the Senate, America will never recover

It's only been 1 day and none of them are budging on their crazy lies and rhetoric. If nothing is done, they will get re-elected

by Anonymousreply 24January 8, 2021 4:14 AM

This is why Trump loaded up positions with loyalists the last month or two. People were asking "why bother now?" This was the plan.

by Anonymousreply 25January 8, 2021 4:16 AM

[Quote] It's just that America and Americans were too dumb and too lazy to do anything about it.

[Both] You forgot fat. Very fat. Really FAT!

[BOLD] OBESE !!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 26January 8, 2021 4:18 AM

[Quote] [Both] You forgot fat. Very fat. Really FAT!

[Bold] You forgot fat. Very fat. Really FAT!

Ha!

by Anonymousreply 27January 8, 2021 4:19 AM

Hawley, Cruz, and the other traitors in Congress had to be complicit as well. That photo of Hawley is chilling. The new cunt rep from Colorado, Lauren Boebert, who is like the unholy offspring of Dana Loesch and Kristi Noem, tweeted “Today is 1776.” Matt Goetz and Mo Brooks trying to blame Antifa as if we don’t have eyeballs and see all the Nazis. Something deeply sinister is going on and it’s not going to be fixed on January 20.

by Anonymousreply 28January 8, 2021 4:20 AM

Coup coup ca choo!

by Anonymousreply 29January 8, 2021 4:23 AM

If it was a coup attempt, it follows Trump's MO of being completely, utterly, hopelessly incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 30January 8, 2021 4:23 AM

Sorry r22 but what you're writing has always been a fairytale in this country. NO WAY the US been a fair place for everyday people ESPECIALLY the last sixty years.

by Anonymousreply 31January 8, 2021 4:24 AM

R19

That's not even remotely true. Many cops were brawling with the MAGAts. Dozens of them were injured, a few critically.

by Anonymousreply 32January 8, 2021 4:24 AM

r32, it only takes a few bad cops and they were there to change everything but you knew that.

by Anonymousreply 33January 8, 2021 4:26 AM

Media refuses to show these videos of cops removing barricades, letting mob in, waving at rioters to come in & walking away as rioters broke down doors & windows.

We need to demand it. Go on their Twitter accounts and demand they show the videos that we’ve been watching on Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 34January 8, 2021 4:31 AM

A significant video was that filmed inside the rally ‘green room’ tent, by Junior, as he and The Family watched the multi screens showing the rally and the crowd before they advanced to the Capitol. The excitement and anticipation was palpable: they knew what was coming.

by Anonymousreply 35January 8, 2021 4:38 AM

R19, I posted that, and you are incorrect. I saw it on a STUPID site called “see real shit” or something similar, someone started a thread on it. If you watch it, it’s over five minutes of many different videos together. Right after the woman is explaining she got tear-gassed, there is a VIOLENT scene of terrorists violently brawling over the fence with cops, I’m talking bare-knuckled, full punches, bodies on the grown being trampled, the metal fencing crushing officers....so you are actually wrong.

There were indeed cops fighting as hard as they could to stop them but they were totally outnumbered, and it seems like they were “neutered” in terms of weaponry. Where were the tasers as an example? The rubber bullets? Cops must have been ordered to never draw their weapons. They had to defend themselves with their fists, it really is a miracle more cops weren’t killed. But in terms of law enforcement, as far as I’m concerned, the biggest heroes are Secret Service and the poor black guy running up the stairs ALONE, from a white Nazi mob!!!!! I will be studying this the rest of my life, I want to know exactly how many cops, how many SS. Do you understand that just a few agents of the SS was all that stood between our Congressmen and Congresswomen? Just a few brave guys/women stopped (for example) Nancy from being raped and having her throat slashed. Or Pence from being raped and hung. These people were coming in to share a cappuccino with Nancy.

But my main point is really that we officially have a Fifth Column in the Capital Police. And you know that this is all throughout the country too, do we now have compromised departments. This is going to turn America into the Middle East, terrorism is finding roots in America. Terrorism. It’s a huge fucking problem, and I think all their posts on Parler are pushing to do it again on 1/19. So....they are just getting started.

The ONLY response to this is to lock them all up — stiff sentences, life wherever possible as their terms. And then have special programs in prison where they get to learn about cults, brainwashing, propaganda, etc. I would happily teach them as a volunteer at my local county jail.

by Anonymousreply 36January 8, 2021 5:04 AM

how did this thread get buried so fast?

by Anonymousreply 37January 8, 2021 5:42 AM

R16 Indeed true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38January 8, 2021 5:47 AM

R25 Also remember that the Pentagon halted Biden transition briefings in mid-December.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39January 8, 2021 5:50 AM

If this was a coup then it must have been planned by the Four Seasons broker. This was incredibly inept.

by Anonymousreply 40January 8, 2021 5:51 AM

I really am profoundly disturbed by this, and the refusal of media to cover any of it. It is disgusting, and I am scared as fuck right now.

by Anonymousreply 41January 8, 2021 5:58 AM

My perspective follows what I studied and learned in criminology and abnormal psych. Trump is a pure criminal, really like a Goldfinger type Bond villain. Yes his grift includes using and killing civilians, police, and military, and he has appointed thousands by now in positions that may prove useful to him. He really doesn't want to face charges for prior grifts in NY and FL, and I would imagine the Inland Revenue In the UK and several EU countries may be looking at him too. What OP can't "wrap his head around" is the idea of a President who was always an absolutely ruthless psychopathic crminal, who now feels cornered and will do anything, including pleading to charity, to save himself. But never think he has given up or conceded; he has his next move already planned, for this weekend "at Camp David", I have no doubt. Oh, and of course, this was a coup attempt. I can only guess he expected some help from a quarter which was not availing. Now on to the next charade.

by Anonymousreply 42January 8, 2021 6:07 AM

Why isn’t the media trying to get the defense department on the record. They did a zillion press conferences for 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 43January 8, 2021 6:11 AM

I'm actually surprised there weren't more casualties. You'd expect the Trump mob all brought along their ammo and shoot their way into the Capitol.

John Dean said on twitter that the Capitol police is made up of guys selected by members of Congress.

by Anonymousreply 44January 8, 2021 6:13 AM

Of course it was all orchestrated by Trump and Rudy. They would have torn up the election certifications if they were able. It’s shameful that he is getting away with it.

by Anonymousreply 45January 8, 2021 6:21 AM

The women who carried the certifications away were heroes. The rioters got into the room where they had been.

by Anonymousreply 46January 8, 2021 6:24 AM

Watching a compilation of footage on CNN, an interviewer asked one guy what he did once they breached the Capitol. Lit up a joint, he said.

These guys fell somewhere between frat party and tailgate in their strategic planning. Just with weapons, plus breaking into the seat of the US legislature and endangering the lives of all its members.

by Anonymousreply 47January 8, 2021 6:25 AM

R39 Of course the Biden transition team couldn't be allowed anywhere near Pentagon/DHS officials : The plans for the January 6 Coup might have been discovered.

by Anonymousreply 48January 8, 2021 6:26 AM

So they had zip ties and weapons...there could have been mass executions, right?

Dear God.

by Anonymousreply 49January 8, 2021 6:26 AM

thats what they wanted

by Anonymousreply 50January 8, 2021 6:40 AM

R36 Is correct about there being good cops on the right side who we’re simply neutered and overwhelmed.

Watching this shit still gives me heart palpitations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 8, 2021 6:40 AM

*were

by Anonymousreply 52January 8, 2021 6:41 AM

I have been telling you all along that America has become a shithole country since it let those fat, ugly, superstititious, anti-science immigrants in. Those are the worst kind of a mix you want to add to your melting pot.

by Anonymousreply 53January 8, 2021 6:45 AM

Which immigrants exactly, R53? The Puritans?

by Anonymousreply 54January 8, 2021 7:09 AM

R53 What in the fucking fuck?

by Anonymousreply 55January 8, 2021 7:13 AM

Hopefully r53 is referring to the Drumpfs.

by Anonymousreply 56January 8, 2021 7:19 AM

I'm worried that something horrible will happen on Inauguration Day. Just have Biden take the oath indoors and cancel everything else due to Covid.

They already plotted to dump the Gov. of Michigan into the middle of Lake Erie.

by Anonymousreply 57January 8, 2021 7:23 AM

Good morning, all. Let’s keep facing the fact this was a coup attempt.

by Anonymousreply 58January 8, 2021 12:07 PM

The family tent celebration. That Kimberly Guilfoyle cunt is something else.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59January 8, 2021 12:34 PM

Trump just installed a toady in the Pentagon a month ago too, ensuring he would block help. Larry Hogan's presser yesterday was DAMNING and proved that obstacles were intentionally put in the way of helping the members of congress. The intent from Trump and his cronies was a coup to keep Trump in power, they were going to take Senators and Congressman hostage and kill them, then destroy the Electoral college ballots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60January 8, 2021 12:40 PM

John Dean hasn't been part of the govt in over 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 61January 8, 2021 12:50 PM

Don't dignify it by calling it a coup attempt. Call it what it was, a terrorist attack designed to punish Congress for defying Trump in the act of certifying the election.

by Anonymousreply 62January 8, 2021 12:54 PM

I don't see how killing members of congress would've resulted in overturning the elections. Do you think Trump has enough backing from the military to carry out a coup?

If this was an attempted coup, then it was a terribly unorganised, shoddy little attempt. A couple of rednecks with guns isn't going to do the job.

by Anonymousreply 63January 8, 2021 1:07 PM

I don't see how killing members of congress would've resulted in overturning the elections. Do you think Trump has enough backing from the military to carry out a coup?

If this was an attempted coup, then it was a terribly unorganised, shoddy little attempt. A couple of rednecks with guns isn't going to do the job.

by Anonymousreply 64January 8, 2021 1:07 PM

It finally sunk into my thick noggin this morning:

Where Bin Laden failed on 9/11, Trump succeeded on 1/6.

by Anonymousreply 65January 8, 2021 1:24 PM

So what happens next? Will Trump, the Secretary of Defense be tried for this terrorist act? Will Barr and others be questioned for what they knew? What about the Trump kids? The Capitol police?

by Anonymousreply 66January 8, 2021 1:31 PM

Really good article, pasted in full for the assholes too lazy to disable adblock ==

Some among America's military allies believe Trump deliberately attempted a coup and may have had help from federal law enforcement officials

Mitch Prothero 07/01/2021, 14:58

Capitol Siege

Some among America's military allies believe Trump deliberately attempted a coup and may have had help from federal law enforcement officials

The big unanswered question: Why were so few law enforcement agents at the Capitol when demonstrations like that are usually heavily policed?

Multiple European security officials told Insider that President Trump appeared to have tacit support among US federal agencies responsible for securing the Capitol complex in yesterday's coup attempt. Insider is reporting this information because it illustrates the serious repercussions of yesterday's events: Even if they are mistaken, some among America's international military allies are now willing to give credence to the idea that Trump deliberately tried to violently cancel an election and had help from some federal law enforcement agents.

"We train alongside the US federal law enforcement to handle these very matters, and it's obvious that large parts of any successful plan were just ignored," one source told us.

The supporters of President Donald Trump who stormed Congress to stop the ratification of President-elect Joe Biden's election victory were attempting a violent coup that multiple European security officials said appeared to have at least tacit support from aspects of the US federal agencies responsible for securing the Capitol complex.

by Anonymousreply 67January 8, 2021 1:32 PM

Insider spoke with three officials on Thursday morning: a French police official responsible for public security in key section of central Paris and two intelligence officials from NATO countries who directly work in counter-terrorism and counter-intelligence operations involving the US, terrorism, and Russia.

They said the circumstantial evidence available pointed to what would be openly called a coup attempt in any other nation. None were willing to speak on the record because of the absolutely dire nature of the subject.

While they were unwilling publish proof that federal agency officials facilitated the chaos, Insider is reporting this information because it illustrates the scale and seriousness of yesterday's events: America's international military and security allies are now willing to give serious credence to the idea that President Trump deliberately tried to violently cancel an election, and that some federal law enforcement agents - by omission or otherwise - facilitated the attempt.

'Today I am briefing my government that we believe with a reasonable level of certainty that Donald Trump attempted a coup'

The NATO source set the stage, describing it in terms more commonly used to describe unrest in developing countries:

"The defeated president gives a speech to a group of supporters where he tells them he was robbed of the election, denounces his own administration's members and party as traitors, and tells his supporters to storm the building where the voting is being held," said the NATO intelligence official. "The supporters, many dressed in military attire and waving revolutionary style flags, then storm the building where the federal law enforcement agencies controlled by the current president do not establish a security cordon and the protesters quickly overwhelm the last line of police."

"The president then makes a public statement to the supporters attacking the Capitol that he loves them but doesn't really tell them to stop," the official said. "Today I am briefing my government that we believe with a reasonable level of certainty that Donald Trump attempted a coup that failed when the system did not buckle."

"I can't believe this happened."

A law enforcement official who trains with US forces believes someone interfered with the proper deployment of officers around Congress

The French police official believes that an investigation will find that someone interfered with the deployment of additional federal law enforcement on the perimeter of the Capitol complex because the official has direct knowledge of the proper procedures for security of the facility. The security of Congress is entrusted to the US Capitol Police, a federal agency that answers to Congress.

It is routine for the Capitol Police to coordinate with the federal Secret Service and Park Police, and local District of Columbia police, prior to large demonstrations. The National Guard, commanded by the Department of Defense, are often on standby too.

by Anonymousreply 68January 8, 2021 1:34 PM

On Wednesday, however, that coordination was late or absent.

'It's obvious that large parts of any successful plan were just ignored'

"You cannot tell me I don't know what they should have done, I can fly to Washington tomorrow and do that job just as any police official in Washington can fly to Paris and do mine," said the official. The source directs public security in a central Paris police district filled with government buildings and tourist sites.

"These are not subtle principles [for managing demonstrations] and they transfer to every situation, this is why we train alongside the US federal law enforcement to handle these very matters, and it's obvious that large parts of any successful plan were just ignored."

The National Guard - which was deployed heavily to quell the Black Lives Matter protests in 2020 - did not show up to assist police until two hours after the action started, according to the Associated Press.

Video shows police doing nothing as rioters access the building

Indeed, video appears to show some police officers opening a barrier to allow a group of protesters to get closer to the Capitol dome. Another video shows a police officer allowing a rioter to take a selfie with him inside Congress, while protesters mill around the building unchecked.

Kim Dine, the former chief of the Capitol Police from 2012 to 2016, told the Washington Post that he was surprised the Capitol Police allowed demonstrators onto the steps of the Capitol. He was also mystified that few rioters were arrested on the spot.

Larry Schaefer, who worked for the Capitol Police for more than 20 years, told ProPublica something similar: "We have a planned, known demonstration that has a propensity for violence in the past and threats to carry weapons - why would you not prepare yourself as we have done in the past?"

Insider asked the Capitol Police for comment and we will update this story when they respond.

by Anonymousreply 69January 8, 2021 1:35 PM

Systematic failures

The French police official detailed multiple lapses they believe were systematic.

Large crowds of protestors needed to be managed far earlier in the process by police, who instead controlled a scene at the first demonstration Trump addressed then ignored the crowd as it streamed towards the Capitol.

"It should have been surrounded, managed and directed immediately and that pressure never released." Because the crowd was not managed and directed, the official said the protestors were able to congregate unimpeded around the Capitol itself, where the next major failure took place. "It is unthinkable there was not a strong police cordon on the outskirts of the complex. Fences and barricades are useless without strong police enforcement. This is when you start making arrests, targeting key people that appear violent, anyone who attacks an officer, anyone who breaches the barricade. You have to show that crossing the line will fail and end in arrest."

"I cannot believe the failure to establish a proper cordon was a mistake. These are very skilled police officials but they are Federal and that means they ultimately report to the president. This needs to be investigated."

"When the crowd reached the steps of the building the situation was over. The police are there to protect the building from terrorist attacks, and crime, not a battalion of infantry. That had to be managed from hundreds of meters away unless the police were willing to completely open fire and I can respect why they were not."

'Thank god it didn't work because I can't imagine how hard it would be to sanction the US financial system'

The third official, who works in counter-intelligence for a NATO member, agreed that the situation could only be seen as a coup attempt, no matter how poorly considered and likely to fail, and that its implications might be too huge to immediately fathom.

"Thank god it didn't work because I can't imagine how hard it would be to sanction the US financial system," said the official. By sanctions, he means the imposition of the usual diplomatic, military, and trade blockages that democratic nations usually reserve for dictatorships.

"The broader damage around the world will be extensive in terms of reputation and that's why Putin doesn't mind at all that Trump lost. He's got to be happy to take his chips and count his winnings, which from the Trump-era will be a shockingly quick decline in American prestige and moral high ground."

"Every moment the Americans spend on their own self-inflicted chaos helps China, it helps Putin and to a lesser extent it helps the mini-dictators like [Turkish President Tayyip] Erdogan and [Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor] Orban, who breathe cynicism about politics, human rights and democracy as their air," said the official. "They won't miss Trump, they'll be glad to see his drama leave so they can enjoy the poisoned political climate."

by Anonymousreply 70January 8, 2021 1:35 PM

[Quote]"Thank god it didn't work because I can't imagine how hard it would be to sanction the US financial system," said the official. By sanctions, he means the imposition of the usual diplomatic, military, and trade blockages that democratic nations usually reserve for dictatorships.

This statement has incredible ramifications for financial markets, indeed the global financial system. 1] as of 2019, approx. 61% of the international reserves of all nations around the world were held in the U.S. dollar, the 2nd largest holding being the Euro with a distant 21%. This is why the dollar is strong. 2] Around 90% of foreign exchange trading involves the U.S. dollar. 3] almost 40% of the world's debt is issued in U.S. dollars explaining the importance and strength of New York Banking Laws that dictate those loan agreements.

But of course, a certain person was more than willing to endanger this vital U.S. economic interest (that would impact every American) for the sake of a successful rally.

by Anonymousreply 71January 8, 2021 1:54 PM

Normally I can’t read Business Insider articles due to my adblocker but when I saw this one (linked elsewhere ) I was able to access it, no problem.

by Anonymousreply 72January 8, 2021 1:56 PM

Thanks, r67

by Anonymousreply 73January 8, 2021 2:05 PM

It's time for these monsters to be sent to federal prison.

by Anonymousreply 74January 8, 2021 2:25 PM

Remember the pics from the old Jim Crow days of groups of whites having picnics and bringing their kids to lynchings of black people? All partying and having a good party? The Trumpsters are our modern version of these people.

by Anonymousreply 75January 8, 2021 2:41 PM

Bill Barr knew about this. Some things are starting to make sense.

by Anonymousreply 76January 8, 2021 2:48 PM

I just saw this posted somewhere else. Anyone in GA?

[quote]While you were focused on the DC riot, Militiamen and other far-right Trump supporters in Atlanta surrounded the state’s Capitol building in search of Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger.

by Anonymousreply 77January 8, 2021 2:49 PM

>>A plain-clothes officer shot and killed a 35-year-old San Diego woman as she climbed over a barricade inside the U.S. Capitol.

Capitol Police officer. But that usually indicates rank. Were the front line guys packing?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78January 8, 2021 2:54 PM

I’m seeing varying reports, r78.

What I’m wondering is did Cap. Police fail but not Secret Service? That would explain the difference.

by Anonymousreply 79January 8, 2021 3:16 PM

The leader of the proud boys was at the WH on 12/12. That’s when this plan was cooked up. Trump said to him “how can I disrupt congress certifiying the results”. After that Trump was increasingly obsessed with 1/6. Its all he talked about. That’s when the plans started popping up online. I’m sure Barr got wind of it and that’s when he released the statement about there being no fraud and then got the hell out of dodge. The lack of police presence at the Capitol was on purpose from the high ranks at the Capitol police who are trumpers. This should have been a state of the union security level event, with FBI and secret service presence there. Instead it was just another Wednesday.

There seems to have been two distinct groups. The retarded rednecks who ran thru the halls smoking and taking selfies. And then the other group- the guys with military gear and zip ties. Those people were there to assassinate members of congress. They got to the chamber of the senate with ease, a room that isn’t easy to find.

This was an inside job. With democrats in control of the house and senate now, I have faith that the truth will come out.

by Anonymousreply 80January 8, 2021 3:23 PM

R80 nailed it.

by Anonymousreply 81January 8, 2021 3:36 PM

[quote] OP: I’m trying to rap my head around this.

The jokes write themselves.

by Anonymousreply 82January 8, 2021 3:43 PM

The big worry is that Trump has packed the US government with his cronies and loyalists, many of whom will actively work against Biden. You only have to look at the Pentagon appointee who has dragged out the transition by refusing to accommodate Biden's team.

by Anonymousreply 83January 8, 2021 3:49 PM

Biden can fire them or shove them to the basement to do filing work.

by Anonymousreply 84January 8, 2021 3:51 PM

I think we were seeing a bunch of different things happening with the police. Some of those officers were doing their jobs, but not many; in two videos I saw cops running away and only one or two left behind, looking around wondering where all their colleagues had gone. Some of those running away were cowards, some were complicit. I'd bet several of the officers who either stood down or let the mob in were just trying to keep from getting hurt and weren't necessarily in on any kind of plot.

The head of the Capitol police was a Trump appointee and he most certainly made sure his own officers were NOT told what to expect, which is sickening. Some of those guys early on were just trying to politely tell the protesters to go away when they got attacked by the mob. They had no clue.

R79, I think you're right, we were seeing Secret Service and maybe some FBI holding their ground, while Capitol police were either being overwhelmed or running away.

by Anonymousreply 85January 8, 2021 4:05 PM

I love the photos of those Keystone Cops effectively saying no, stop *yawn* quit, time out......

And why wouldn't they? They are drawn from the same blue collar backgrounds as the terrorists: racist, Xtian, homophobic, misogynistic, ex-military, FOX News-watching non-readers.

by Anonymousreply 86January 8, 2021 4:13 PM

That poor black cop being chased up the stairs by those assholes. Hope he's okay.

by Anonymousreply 87January 8, 2021 4:13 PM

We have a SERIOUS problem on our hands. I think the Secret Service was on point, but they’re the LAST line of defense....where was the first line, the second, the third??? Capital police need to literally be disbanded. They’re LOADED with terrorists now.

Media should be showing the scenes of the cops helping the terrorists. I couldn’t believe what I saw. The People need to be told the truth. The TRUTH is that half our country doesn’t want the truth, and they have so convinced themselves that their opinions are factual, that their minds cannot be changed. The TRUTH is our President is a criminal and thinks he’s above any consequences. The TRUTH is that every member of Congress supporting the vote challenge is a traitor, they’re in the Sedition Caucus, and must be expelled. They must be LOCKED UP for Sedition. And please, keep using the word Sedition, that’s exactly what this is.

If we fail in our response to this, this is going to go on for decades. If we fail to hold Trump and all his supporters criminally liable, this will never end for our country. Remember— they’re planning MORE on 1/19.

So what do you do? You call your reps and tell them this is Sedition and you want it treated as such. You post the videos of the cops opening the gates, running away, ignoring, taking selfies. You also participate in not giving money to companies that are actually paying for these marches. Do you understand that Goldman Sachs, Home Depot, Amazon, Citicorp to name just a few gave money for the robocalls that went out to these “marchers”? So.....literally the SAME companies that are publicly telling us they don’t support this are funneling hundreds of thousands to their PACS which are in turn, running the ops for these events.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88January 8, 2021 4:15 PM

Omg R82 I forgot the “w.” Positively traitorous of me. Lol. You fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 89January 8, 2021 4:32 PM

I would tend to agree with you, R85, and though it was a total disaster that could have ended with the deaths of people important to our government, I hope it is true.

by Anonymousreply 90January 8, 2021 4:35 PM

R90 is OP.

by Anonymousreply 91January 8, 2021 4:35 PM

[quote]Media should be showing the scenes of the cops helping the terrorists.

They are, a little bit. Morning Joe famously yelled that the cops fucking opened the doors for them, and there was talk about the police standing down when Pelosi demanded the Sergeant at Arms and Capitol police chief resign. The discussion of the cops just pulling back barricades and waving rioters in has been minimal, though.

by Anonymousreply 92January 8, 2021 5:02 PM

[quote] There seems to have been two distinct groups. The retarded rednecks who ran thru the halls smoking and taking selfies. And then the other group- the guys with military gear and zip ties. Those people were there to assassinate members of congress. They got to the chamber of the senate with ease, a room that isn’t easy to find.

THIS. ALL OF THIS.

by Anonymousreply 93January 8, 2021 5:09 PM

There is an excellent Twitter thread here about the second group with military gear and zip ties. One has been identified, the older chubby guy who you could see in the ITV video, and his info has been passed on to the FBI, which I hope leads to an arrest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94January 8, 2021 5:12 PM

R94 Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

Everyone needs to devote a little time to spreading these funds far and wide.

by Anonymousreply 95January 8, 2021 5:18 PM

As this evolves, it is looking baaaaaad for the mad king.

Signs point to there being an underhanded coup attempt.

Remember what seems like years ago when Raffensburger released Don’s taped call? At the time, 10 high ranking military officials released an op-Ed that seemed odd and weirdly out of place.

Then the delay for the National Guard when called for by Pelosi?

And bombs, zip ties, ammunition on some who stormed the Capitol?

Pelosi’s laptop was stolen.

And some of those who stormed the Capitol knew EXACTLY where to go? (Those familiar with it find it a maze at the best of times.)

Here’s what Clyburn has to say:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96January 8, 2021 5:22 PM

Defund the police.

by Anonymousreply 97January 8, 2021 5:24 PM

The US Capitol Police will have to be completely purged before it can be effective again. Then reconceived as to its mission, and then reformed structurally. It can't remain a dumping ground for mall cops who worship Trump.

by Anonymousreply 98January 8, 2021 5:26 PM

Ya I mean some of these did look like complete mouthbreeding, incel, video game playing morons (the ones who stood like idiots there when the woman got shot because they just wanted to stream their presence on social media) but there were far more organized groups present too. And there were certainly Russian spies present. Laptops and documents stolen - hello. A guy loaded with a firearm and bullets only arrested because he was loitering after the curfew which means he was also in there earlier. The saddest part of all this is that we were attacked by our own citizens and there are people - 40% of Republicans in one poll - who have no problem with this. Who defend this. Who think this is acceptable. Imagine if he had won in 2020. What would have happened in 2040? Another storming of the Capitol until Trump is installed as dictator? I think so.

by Anonymousreply 99January 8, 2021 5:29 PM

Ya I mean some of these did look like complete mouthbreeding, incel, video game playing morons (the ones who stood like idiots there when the woman got shot because they just wanted to stream their presence on social media) but there were far more organized groups present too. And there were certainly Russian spies present. Laptops and documents stolen - hello. A guy loaded with a firearm and bullets only arrested because he was loitering after the curfew which means he was also in there earlier. The saddest part of all this is that we were attacked by our own citizens and there are people - 40% of Republicans in one poll - who have no problem with this. Who defend this. Who think this is acceptable. Imagine if he had won in 2020. What would have happened in 2040? Another storming of the Capitol until Trump is installed as dictator? I think so.

by Anonymousreply 100January 8, 2021 5:29 PM

r47: I would've been greatly surprised if each one of those guys had some cover story and was told to make it sound like coming was his own idea and it was all supposed to be a big party that got out of hand. yeah, that's the ticket.

by Anonymousreply 101January 8, 2021 5:37 PM

Er, DIDNT HAVE some kind of story. I meant.

by Anonymousreply 102January 8, 2021 5:38 PM

Yes, R94's link to that guy's twitter account is amazing. The photo of the paramilitary guy with the giant zipties in his hand and the balaklava covering his face is ominous and chilling. And the twitter investigator has already ID'd everything the guy has on. It looks likely that he's from Tennessee. They will find him.

by Anonymousreply 103January 8, 2021 5:40 PM

They also ID'd the numbnuts stalking the halls with the Confederate flag over his shoulder. His name is Rikki Tollikko and he belongs to a motorcycle gang out of Alberta CANADA...

by Anonymousreply 104January 8, 2021 5:41 PM

NOTHING. WELL. HAPPEN. TO. THESE. FOOLS.

NOTHING!

No One will remember this by the end of Feb. I fucking hate it but that's America for you.

by Anonymousreply 105January 8, 2021 5:47 PM

Sad but true. The phone call is alr4eady forgotten. The kidnap plot against the Governor of Michigan, running the Biden team off the road, blocking highways, the caravans that looked like something in Iran....all warning signs, All forgotten about within 24hrs. They'll do something else horrendous next week that will take over the news cycle.

by Anonymousreply 106January 8, 2021 5:50 PM

You want us to think no one will remember Trump staged an unsuccessful coup? They're going to impeach him next week for it. It's not like this news is going to go away.

Don't know what you're trying to pull but this isn't something everyone will just forget.

by Anonymousreply 107January 8, 2021 5:53 PM

R107 I hope not. I really do. I'm an atheist but I am praying to all the Gods that he will be impeached. But I am cynical right now and I really do fear that while we will remember the Republicans will 'misremember' and have 'alternative facts' when this comes up which will be rarely if they are allowed to write history and set the narrative.

by Anonymousreply 108January 8, 2021 6:00 PM

I agree with r88 - these folks attempted to overturn our government, they trespassed, destroyed federal property and broke multiple laws, this was not a childish prank or just some graffiti. People are dead and there could have been dead govenment officials too. The military operatives with the zip ties who were acting like military assassins as well as the dumb ass deplorables like the bitch from Knoxville with the onion, need to go to jail. WE NEED EXAMPLES MADE OF THESE PEOPLE QUICKLY AND FORCEFULLY otherwise it will continue to happen again, and again.

by Anonymousreply 109January 8, 2021 6:08 PM

Any police, security, or, military personnel found to be complicit in what was without question a domestic terrorist attack should be hanged.

by Anonymousreply 110January 8, 2021 6:15 PM

^ this. There is no greater betrayal than someone who took an Oath to protect the Constitution and US citizens turning around and helping a murderous mob. It is truly the greatest violation a LEO can commit IMHO.

by Anonymousreply 111January 8, 2021 6:21 PM

I wonder if Eric Prince and Blackwater was involved? Zip tie guy looks like he did this before. I pray and hope we cam put Republicans in jail for life. They are a scourge on our society.

by Anonymousreply 112January 8, 2021 6:42 PM

OF COURSE BLACKWATER WAS INVOLVED. WHY DO YOU THINK BETSY DEVOS RESIGNED? Eric Prince is a bro. Sorry about caplock And YES, r111, YES! I couldnt believe the FBI spokesman, or whoever, Milley, saying If only the Capitol police had zip-tied them as they exited the Capitol. Well, get real, Mary, they could even have used the rioters' own zipties!

by Anonymousreply 113January 8, 2021 7:29 PM

I kinda (don't kinda) pity the Sicknik cop who died, he was probably the only one who wouldn't go along with the game plan that day, so they sent him on a "special mission"

by Anonymousreply 114January 8, 2021 7:32 PM

Actually and ironically, R114, he was a Trumper, if you got to his FB or Twitter page.

by Anonymousreply 115January 8, 2021 8:51 PM

Interesting, R103.

I saw reports earlier that FBI raided a couple of houses in Tennessee today but I don't recall them saying for what or why. Now I need to go find that again...

by Anonymousreply 116January 8, 2021 8:52 PM

The DoJ says they’re not looking at investigating the speakers at Trump’s rally for incitement. But this is TRUMP’s DoJ, so... no surprise there. When Biden takes over, it’s game on.

by Anonymousreply 117January 8, 2021 9:04 PM

IF true, this makes things veerryyy interesting:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 8, 2021 9:42 PM

Probably unrelated raid in Nashville.

Sorry for any confusion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119January 8, 2021 10:28 PM

Permanent suspension

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120January 8, 2021 10:30 PM

Parler crashed. Apple gave them 24 hours to moderate or they’re gone. Someone on Twitter commented they’re going to have to take the site down for longer than that to get it moderated. So did they crash or did they shut it down themselves?

by Anonymousreply 121January 8, 2021 10:47 PM

Number one trend on Twitter is “THANK YOU TWITTER.” That didn’t take long.

by Anonymousreply 122January 8, 2021 10:50 PM

What a terrible punishment for Trump’s treason. Naughty naughty.

by Anonymousreply 123January 8, 2021 10:55 PM

[quote] Parler crashed. Apple gave them 24 hours to moderate or they’re gone.

Interesting. I have been trying to set up an account for the last 15 minutes and it's definitely not working. No I am not a Trump supporter, I just wanted to see what they are saying.

by Anonymousreply 124January 8, 2021 10:55 PM

I think he will resign over the weekend.

by Anonymousreply 125January 8, 2021 10:56 PM

He won’t resign until he gets his family’s pardons in first.

by Anonymousreply 126January 8, 2021 10:58 PM

There is no evidence that police of any of the police forces on the scene were involved with the rioters. If real evidence is found - not just baseless assumptions and ignorance - then so be it.

These assumptions are being based on a lack of understanding of what police officers have to do depending on the circumstances and an incomplete picture of the events.

Quite frankly I find this appalling when one of those officers was murdered doing his job. Jumping to baseless conclusions and spreading defamatory rumors is what got us to this point in the first place - why would we want to repeat their stupidity?

by Anonymousreply 127January 8, 2021 11:10 PM

[Quote] You want us to think no one will remember Trump staged an unsuccessful coup? They're going to impeach him next week for it. It's not like this news is going to go away. Don't know what you're trying to pull but this isn't something everyone will just forget.

r107, are you kidding me with this? Have you NOT paid attention to what the Repigs have been doing and getting away with since the Reagan days? Repigs get away with everything because WE {Dems} let them! THAT was my point.

by Anonymousreply 128January 8, 2021 11:21 PM

^ Me / r105

by Anonymousreply 129January 8, 2021 11:22 PM

I heard on MSNBC that the House was looking to vote on impeachment on Tuesday for a Senate trial on Wednesday. That is really far off considering the circumstances.

by Anonymousreply 130January 8, 2021 11:30 PM

All the senators and house reps who had a hand in this need to be removed and charged as well, ASAP.

by Anonymousreply 131January 8, 2021 11:33 PM

R130 I get the sense there is an expectation Trump will resign this weekend. I wonder if this is one of the things influencing the House/Senate timeline. I also wouldn’t be surprised if there are negotiations going on to expel both Hawley and Cruz.

by Anonymousreply 132January 8, 2021 11:36 PM

I too am shocked impeachment can’t be done faster — but I also have 100% confidence in the judgement of NP. I’m certain there are legitimate reasons she and her team picked those dates. Trust. When you shoot at the king, you better not miss.

by Anonymousreply 133January 8, 2021 11:37 PM

I hoe the next few days will bring more outrages to light (via evidence, images, texts, etc.) and consolidate the narrative that this was a violent attempt, incited by Trump, to disrupt Congress's business and overturn the election. His cutesie deniability must end.

by Anonymousreply 134January 8, 2021 11:49 PM

[quote] I get the sense there is an expectation Trump will resign this weekend. I wonder if this is one of the things influencing the House/Senate timeline.

Yes I agree-- I am the one above who said I think he'll resign. Something about the wording of Pelosi's statement and some of the others makes it seem like there are serious negotiations to get him out of there. Twitter's suspension might also be a part of the project to get Trump to realize it's well and truly over.

by Anonymousreply 135January 9, 2021 12:00 AM

I was able to set up a Parler account just now using Chrome on a PC.

by Anonymousreply 136January 9, 2021 12:02 AM

Read the replies. Reports of this trickling all over. Off-duty copy and military helped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137January 9, 2021 12:03 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138January 9, 2021 12:04 AM

I agree that he just may resign "for the good of the country." LOL!

That might be how he can be sold on the idea by anyone still left advising him. He can act like he's some big martyr. Maybe they can scare him with the idea that if he gets impeached and convicted he won't ever be able to run again.

by Anonymousreply 139January 9, 2021 12:05 AM

I took two screenshots last week of violent threats on Twitter "we'll surround the capitol and SCOTUS..." I contacted the FBI, Secret Service, and our electeds - Pelosi, Schumer, and Hoyer. No response.

Here's what I think: Pelosi, Schumer, and even Biden, are mentally in another era when things like this were unthinkable. "They're just blowing hot air..." Nope. Not anymore.

I believe Biden's inauguration should be moved indoors or held somewhere else. It's chilling that Trump says he won't be at the inauguration. I don't want him there either, but maybe there is another reason - like violence.

by Anonymousreply 140January 9, 2021 12:10 AM

127, there’s video of a cop opening the barricades waving them through, saying, “Go! Go!” There’s also video of cops taking selfies with them. A lot of these cops are on Facebook and Twitter and it’s not going to take much for the FBI to find their accounts. It’s like the woman who was killed. Everyone was saddened until they found out she was stark raving mad and had been video taping herself on the way there, talking about what she was going to do. Just wait until the FBI looks these people up in Parler, they’re probably all on there. From Politico:

“ the Capitol Police report ultimately to the heads of the House and Senate, through their respective sergeants-at-arms, and both the House and Senate sergeant-at-arms resigned Thursday. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) also called for the resignation of the Capitol Police chief, Steven Sund, a veteran of the D.C. police appointed to the Capitol force last year.

“Sund, for his part, initially issued a statement defending his department, but appeared to know the trouble he was in: Pelosi said he never reached out to her, even more than 24 hours after yesterday’s sacking of the Capitol and her office. By dinnertime Thursday, he’d turned in a letter of resignation, too.”

Sind was appointed during the Trump administration. He probably didn’t need any qualifications and isn’t a professional, and if he is, he owes his job to Trump. What do you expect? He’s already resigned. That alone should tell you he knew better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 9, 2021 12:16 AM

R140, Trump may be announcing he won’t be there early as a heads up to his traitors that they can bomb the area. He’ll be safe, even if they kill everyone else in the place. That’s all they care about. Biden should get sworn in indoors.

by Anonymousreply 142January 9, 2021 12:18 AM

R127 you're an idiot. Those cops let those terrorists in, as clearly seen in the video. My daughter protested at the White House i Mya for George Floyd, got inside the fence and was taken down physically, hand cuffed, arrested and charged with trespassing. I'm not saying what she did was right (i.e., going through the barricade) but BOY she got a different reception!

by Anonymousreply 143January 9, 2021 12:21 AM

R142 Very true!

by Anonymousreply 144January 9, 2021 12:22 AM

^ in May

by Anonymousreply 145January 9, 2021 12:24 AM

[Quote]He is a recognized expert in critical incident management and active shooter preparedness and response having handled dozens of criminal barricade and hostage situations. His experience involves being the on-scene incident commander during major incidents such as the 2009 shooting at the National Holocaust Museum, the 2012 shooting at the Family Research Council, and the 2013 active shooter incident at the Washington Navy Yard. Chief Sund has received numerous awards for his event planning, as well as his response to the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. Due to his knowledge and experience, he also has been an instructor with the United States Secret Service in the area of major events planning.

R141 The above is from Sund's bio at the US Capitol Police website. He is VERY experienced with preparations needed for events like last Wednesday. This begs the question as to why in this particular incident there was woefully inadequate preparation. Security should have been at the level of State of the Union address level and instead were like any other boring Wednesday. Why did Sund not use his skills to better prepare security around the Capitol that day?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146January 9, 2021 12:28 AM

Lock him up! Lock him up! Lock him up!

by Anonymousreply 147January 9, 2021 12:47 AM

He doesn’t care about his family R126. He wants to make sure HE doesn’t go to jail.

by Anonymousreply 148January 9, 2021 12:48 AM

He WILL never run again R139. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 149January 9, 2021 12:53 AM

R149, he doesn’t have to really. He can just say he’s going to run for four years and raise a huge money chest. Then keep it. If he gets impeached and removed, he can’t say that.

by Anonymousreply 150January 9, 2021 1:04 AM

[quote]Repigs get away with everything because WE {Dems} let them! THAT was my point.

Yeah, R128, I've heard you and all the other trolls screaming about how the Democrats are the "real" problem for the last several days.

I don't know what you're trying to pull but the House is speeding impeachment proceedings through and Raskin has legislation that might actually allow us to invoke the 25th without Pence and the cabinet, who clearly won't do anything. Yet here you are, complaining that the Dems aren't doing anything? When they're the only ones who ARE?

You can take your "the Dems won't do anything! this coup will be forgotten in two weeks!" bullshit and fucking shove it.

by Anonymousreply 151January 9, 2021 1:06 AM

R140, no response doesn't mean they didn't do anything with your info.

by Anonymousreply 152January 9, 2021 1:07 AM

I think R150 has hit on a VERY big incentive for Donny to get the hell out while the getting's good. His grift is going to hit a big roadblock if he gets impeached and voted out in the Senate next week.He would be prevented from seeking funds for "re-election", whether he really intended to run or not, if he gets removed from office. And it occurred to me a little while ago, when I posted a link to a story about the "missing" Melania: she has a very high incentive to file for divorce quickly. Donny is in so much financial hot water in the next couple of years that she has EVERY incentive to take him for everything she can get HER hands on before those other creditors solidify their claims through Court judgments. He's facing a pile of trouble.

by Anonymousreply 153January 9, 2021 1:22 AM

(And if he had just acted like he gave a shit about the victims of the Coronavirus, he almost certainly would have been re-elected and none of this shit would be happening right now).

by Anonymousreply 154January 9, 2021 1:29 AM

Some Texans want our Indicted Attorney General Ken Paxton investigated for his role in yesterday's insurrection.

Chris Turner is a Democratic state representative from Grand Prairie.* It might be just posturing, since Democrats don't have much power in Texas, but I'm still glad someone spoke up. His tweet drew a response from Joe Jaworski, a Democrat who wants to be Texas AG.

* Grand Prairie lies between Dallas and Ft. Worth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155January 9, 2021 1:50 AM

R151 What you say cannot negate the fact that the Democrats are often weak.

It seems like they're less aggressive by nature.

by Anonymousreply 156January 9, 2021 7:13 AM

Heather Cox Richardson after gathering more information is now calling this a coup attempt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157January 9, 2021 2:14 PM

Of course it was a coup attempt.

by Anonymousreply 158January 9, 2021 2:15 PM

For some levity . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159January 9, 2021 2:16 PM

If it walks like a coup and quacks like a coup, r158...

by Anonymousreply 160January 9, 2021 2:31 PM

Too soon for me, r159.

by Anonymousreply 161January 9, 2021 2:33 PM

[Quote]Donald Trump was annoyed by the violent siege on the Capitol Wednesday — which left several dead — because it looked “low class,” according to his adviser. “He doesn’t like low class things.”

--Olivia Nuzzi, NY Magazine on Twitter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162January 9, 2021 2:33 PM

R159 um

by Anonymousreply 163January 9, 2021 5:13 PM

Max Burns says flat out he staged a coup with help from the toadies of the DOD. They’re not moving quickly enough to get rid of him. He could invoke article 2, although I’m not sure he’d have the backing.

Does he need to be assassinated?

Now what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164January 10, 2021 12:17 AM

CNN just said Pence is not averse to 25ing Trump if he gets worse and apparently he’s quite bad. I wasn’t watching, it’s on Twitter. This just happened.

by Anonymousreply 165January 10, 2021 12:24 AM

Elaborating above, Jim Acosta said Pence has not ruled out 25 if Trump becomes more unstable and he has a close source to Pence.

by Anonymousreply 166January 10, 2021 12:31 AM

Hopefully he has cabinet backing. He needs to just do the 25th and end this nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 167January 10, 2021 12:34 AM

R164. What in the ever living hell? Why is the media so silent. God knows what’s going down right now.

by Anonymousreply 168January 10, 2021 12:36 AM

If pence invoked the 25th amendment he would have cabinet support

by Anonymousreply 169January 10, 2021 12:42 AM

George Conway said there's a way for Pence to time the 25th amendment to make himself Acting President and run out the clock -- like 4 days before Congress has 21 days to take a vote, etc. and during all that time Pence would be Acting President, Trump wouldn't have power, and the clock would run out to Jan. 20. Plus Congress could still impeach him and hopefully vote to keep Trump from ever having or being able to run for elected office again.

by Anonymousreply 170January 10, 2021 12:45 AM

Or he could merely be signaling to Dems to hold off on that impeachment (as many Repugs want for the sake of "unity"), I have it under control until 45 runs afoul again

by Anonymousreply 171January 10, 2021 12:55 AM

^ You mean "Until 45 RUNS again", which is what needs to be prevented.

by Anonymousreply 172January 10, 2021 1:00 AM

Pence will never trigger the 25th. He’s just not that strong. Trump without Twitter seems neutered at least temporarily.

by Anonymousreply 173January 10, 2021 1:01 AM

I think the threat of the 25th is what’s scaring him

One wrong move and pence will invoke it immediately IMO

by Anonymousreply 174January 10, 2021 1:06 AM

I believe Dump or his puppetmasters have kompromat on Pence that hold him back. But after a thwarted assassination attempt, he should really just say fuck it.

by Anonymousreply 175January 10, 2021 1:10 AM

Impeachment and removal won't necessarily preclude his running for office again. It's not automatic but is up to the Senate.

by Anonymousreply 176January 10, 2021 1:12 AM

And the Senate could be in Democratic hands by then r176.

So what do you think they would decide?

by Anonymousreply 177January 10, 2021 1:22 AM

Biden Getting New Secret Service Over Trump Loyalty Fears

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178January 10, 2021 1:28 AM

R177, my comment was a response to the statements of posters here that if he's convicted, he can never hold office again. That cannot be taken for granted.

by Anonymousreply 179January 10, 2021 1:32 AM

r178, it's really frightening that SS could attempt an assassination, that they would be corrupt. This doesn't feel like the US, and it's not all trump's doing. Trump has a raging personality disorder and we all knew that when he was running. It's TPTB that scare me including all the senators that know damn well there was no wide scale election fraud yet still voted against the will of the people.

by Anonymousreply 180January 10, 2021 1:46 AM

The Senate can convict Trump on whatever charges the House brings but that doesn't automatically bar him for holding office again. The Senate has the power to do that but it would require a separate vote.

by Anonymousreply 181January 10, 2021 1:55 AM

If turtle won't do it, Schumer will take the vote once he's is in charge of Senate.

by Anonymousreply 182January 10, 2021 2:06 AM

The cops were clearly completely overwhelmed. I’m sure most cops—including Capitol cops—are Trump supporters, but I doubt they were in on it in any coordinated way. However! There’s NO question that Trump used his sick reptilian brain—along with help from Mike Flynn—to ensure the Capitol was lightly protected. The fact he resisted calling in the National Guard should get him executed for treason.

by Anonymousreply 183January 10, 2021 2:10 AM

The cops let the mob in

by Anonymousreply 184January 10, 2021 2:13 AM

The cops let the mob in

by Anonymousreply 185January 10, 2021 2:13 AM

They need to flip some of the rioters. They know who paid their hotel bills, who paid for the buses, who organized the events. But unless someone wants to confess immediately, it will take longer than the end of the term. They need to threaten some of them with the RICO Act. Ironically, Rudy knows that one pretty well. They should charge him with it.

by Anonymousreply 186January 10, 2021 2:15 AM

I’m sure Roger Stone played a huge role in this.

by Anonymousreply 187January 10, 2021 2:31 AM

Black Capitol police officers are saying they were left alone, higher ranking officers were no where to be found. Just a coincidence, I'm sure...

by Anonymousreply 188January 10, 2021 2:42 AM

Where exactly are the Trumps right now?

by Anonymousreply 189January 10, 2021 2:46 AM

They’re in hiding or making their way out of the country maybe?

by Anonymousreply 190January 10, 2021 2:48 AM

I hope they are being secured or being watched carefully.

by Anonymousreply 191January 10, 2021 2:51 AM

I'm glad Pence, his wife and his daughter were there in the Capitol in the middle of this with Congress when it happened. It may strengthen his resolve. And even though I absolutely disagree with them politically, I understand he has a good staff who gives him solid advice. After this I doubt anyone on his side is trying to get him to go easy on Trump. He may also counsel with McConnell. I think they talk a lot.

by Anonymousreply 192January 10, 2021 2:55 AM

I’ve said for years: The only good cop is a dead cop!

by Anonymousreply 193January 10, 2021 2:55 AM

I wouldn't doubt Matt Gaetz was their inside man

by Anonymousreply 194January 10, 2021 2:57 AM

r189, this is the type of thing that would have been reported even 5 years ago. When the news was always "up to the minute"

The corporate takeover of CNN, MSNBC and even the networks is showing it's stripped down product is not adequate in a crisis. '

There used to be actual reports out in the streets and would chase the story relentlessly wherever it went.

by Anonymousreply 195January 10, 2021 3:03 AM

[quote] They know who paid their hotel bills, who paid for the buses, who organized the events

I read that the wife of Clarence Thomas had paid for some of the hotel and buses. She's a big Trumpster and she cheered on the protestors as they ran to the Capitol. Of course, she edited her post when it turned violent. This should get more media play, maybe it will give Thomas a heart attack and he'll have to quit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196January 10, 2021 3:10 AM

I'm watching local NYC CBS news. They're saying that at least one rioter was wearing a FDNY jacket and the Fire Department and the FBI are investigating other tips that some of the insurrectionists are retired and/or active FDNY members.

by Anonymousreply 197January 10, 2021 3:10 AM

r189 Melania has been very quiet since the coup attempt...

by Anonymousreply 198January 10, 2021 3:16 AM

Jesus, why? firemen are treated like heroes What is wrong with these people

by Anonymousreply 199January 10, 2021 3:18 AM

No threads on Ginni Thomas? Why?

by Anonymousreply 200January 10, 2021 3:25 AM

Dear Business Insider: thanks for hipping me to this brand new fact!!

by Anonymousreply 201January 10, 2021 3:25 AM

The present House article of impeachment specifically blocks Trump from holding future offices. The Senate must vote on conviction according to the terms of the article. It can't convict based on part of a successful impeachment.

by Anonymousreply 202January 10, 2021 3:35 AM

WaPo saying Trump and Republicans are already moving to block impeachment. It’s fire-walled so I could not read more.

by Anonymousreply 203January 10, 2021 4:04 AM

For R203, from WaPo:

Trump and some congressional Republicans, meanwhile, stepped up their efforts Saturday to head off Democratic efforts to impeach Trump over what they call his incitement of violence.

Behind closed doors, Trump and his son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner have encouraged allies to fight against a potential impeachment by issuing statements on social media or elsewhere that discourage or condemn the move, people familiar with the calls said.

It was not clear whether those efforts were having much success. Republican allies of the president were mainly muted Saturday, as pressure continued to mount among Democrats to try to force Trump from office before his term expires Jan. 20.

Meanwhile, a small group of Republicans who had voted to certify President-elect Joe Biden’s victory released a letter Saturday calling on Biden to try to head off impeachment.

“In the spirit of healing and fidelity to our Constitution, I am asking that @JoeBiden formally request that Speaker Pelosi discontinue her efforts to impeach President Trump a second time,” tweeted Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.), sharing a copy of the letter signed by seven lawmakers.

A Biden spokesman on Saturday referred to the president-elect’s comments the day before, when he said he would leave impeachment decisions to Congress.

by Anonymousreply 204January 10, 2021 4:46 AM

[quote] Trump and his son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner have encouraged allies to fight against a potential impeachment by issuing statements on social media or elsewhere that discourage or condemn the move, people familiar with the calls said.

How dare they, after he almost got them killed?

by Anonymousreply 205January 10, 2021 5:06 AM

Thanks for posting. Doesn’t seem like much support if only 7 Republicans signed the letter.

by Anonymousreply 206January 10, 2021 5:10 AM

[quote] I'm glad Pence, his wife and his daughter were there in the Capitol in the middle of this with Congress when it happened. It may strengthen his resolve

No it hasn't. Thousands of protesters were screaming, "where's pence, show yourself pence, HANG PENCE" and they had a heavy duty noose set up outside the capitol

When the senators called the white house begging for them to send in the national guard, trump said, NO! He sat for over an hour, while thousands were cheering to HANG PENCE

And Pence still doesn't want to impeach him. If he doesn't give a fuck about people wanting to kill him, I don't either

by Anonymousreply 207January 10, 2021 5:19 AM

Pence doesn’t want to *25th Amendment* him. He has no say in impeachment. But he’s also said he isn’t taking the 25th off the table, just in case Trump goes even crazier.

by Anonymousreply 208January 10, 2021 5:30 AM

[quote]Behind closed doors, Trump and his son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner have encouraged allies to fight against a potential impeachment by issuing statements on social media or elsewhere that discourage or condemn the move...

What they should be doing out in the open, though I am sure it has hardly crossed their frozen pea-sized minds or hearts, is to issue condoling statements regarding their supporters who were either killed or died due to the circumstances they are responsible for creating.

[bold]Multiple people died,[/bold] including a law enforcement officer, and several more were injured.

Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 209January 10, 2021 5:47 AM

R200, in my hysteria, I started a thread on Ginni.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210January 10, 2021 5:55 AM

[quote] he isn’t taking the 25th off the table, just in case Trump goes even crazier.

just in case, what? What is he waiting for? A nuclear bomb to go off somewhere? He almost got killed by his crazy followers. I cannot understand the stupidity and devotion to such a horrible psychopath.

by Anonymousreply 211January 10, 2021 5:57 AM

Deed somewhone say 'couze'?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212January 10, 2021 6:20 AM

Right, r211? And it's not like thame fat slob is going to put out any mean tweets!

Two things I feel compelled to point out. One is the utter keystone kop mentality of the FBI. These motherfuckers have the nerve to say they didn't know this was coming when any person with internet access and a brain could see it weeks ago?

How fucking stupid are these assholes if they can't even be bothered to look at the FBI social media accounts where people were TELLING THEM THIS SHIT WAS GONNA HAPPEN? JFC. Can we PLEASE get the Hollywood version of the FBI? At least those fuckers take threats seriously.

Second, I have to think that big business and the GOP money men aren't liking the dollar tanking since the us is now seen as "unstable" by other works governments and businesses.

People start selling dollars and going to bitcoin or Euros and these pricks are fucked. Sure, it makes US goods cheaper, but if we're seen as "unstable", we won't get investment or loans.

Who is going to let us borrow $ if we're now considered "high risk"? Nobody.

I have to think that, if nothing else, the cuntflaps with the $ and the GOP donors don't want this fucking traitor thrashing around, threatening the global economy when they can just cunt punt him with the 25th or an impeachment conviction.

He's now more of a liability.

by Anonymousreply 213January 10, 2021 6:44 AM

Other than that fag miss Lindsey it seems like most GOP senators have been either silent or slightly open regarding impeachment. Call me a fool but I think the votes are there if they were forced to vote. It would also prevent him from running in 2024 which frees them all from the shackles they’d be in for the next four years. Honestly, that’s probably the biggest selling point of all.

by Anonymousreply 214January 10, 2021 6:54 AM

Twitter is on it:

1:18pm, “multiple officers reported injured at the Capitol, west side,”

1:41pm, “Broken arrow!” citywide dispatch signalling units overrun

2:22pm Cap Police chief Sund requests Guard support

3pm Miller “verbally” approved DC Gd

4pm Hogan learns Miller still NOT approved MD GD

Laura Rozen @lrozen · 5h At 4:41 p.m., Hogan received a phone call from Army Sec McCarthy, asking if can send MD Gd ASAP. Hogan said yes, we’ve been waiting. Hogan told that Miller had verbally approved.

5:45pm Miller formally approves deployment

first DC guard arrive at 5:30

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215January 10, 2021 7:07 AM

From the Nye County Republicans in Nevada. This is the stuff of nightmares. Jesus fist fucking Christ.

" So, what comes next? I don’t have the particulars but I can give you milestones to watch for as the coming days unfold: Expect the emergency broadcast system to be activated. The FCC just recently released a memorandum speaking to the requirements under Federal law to send messages from the president to the public. See this link Expect confusion. We are in a battle for our republic against elites that are attempting the very coup that they are accusing Trump of doing. In battle, there will be disinformation but know that plans are being fulfilled. Expect high profile arrests to take place over the next 12 days and at any time. You may wake one morning to find someone in high office is no longer there. Expect this to be a bumpy ride to the very end. This is not a television show where things are resolved in 45 minutes. Expect more bombshell evidence to be released between now and Jan. 20th. Expect some sort of internet blackout or outage: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Gmail are likely going to be affected. If you don’t have alternate forms of communication established now, it would be a good idea to start forming them even if it’s just checking on your nextdoor neighbors. Expect Trump to be inaugurated on Jan 20th! Expect the executive order from 2018 and/or the Insurrection Act to be enacted. This DOES NOT mean martial law. Remember that we have been under a state of emergency since 2018 which gives the president many powers to act."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216January 10, 2021 7:07 AM

R216 omfg.

These people are really hellbent on creating what they supposedly fear is going to happen.

Too scary for words.

by Anonymousreply 217January 10, 2021 8:03 AM

[quote]Where exactly are the Trumps right now?

In the Nye County (Nevada) Republican Chairman's fever dream above, it says the family was on the nuclear doomsday plane, to Abilene, Texas.

by Anonymousreply 218January 10, 2021 8:37 AM

[quote]this is the type of thing that would have been reported even 5 years ago. When the news was always "up to the minute"

Maybe it was up to the minute because the President released his schedule (not "he's making calls and having meetings today) and visitor logs, the Press Secretary had daily briefings, the President gave press conferences (not helicopter rally speeches), and Administration personnel were not forbidden to speak with the media.

But you go ahead and do your own version the-media-is-evil.

by Anonymousreply 219January 10, 2021 8:42 AM

[quote]What you say cannot negate the fact that the Democrats are often weak. It seems like they're less aggressive by nature.

Well I just FF'd you r156.

Ain't I the butchest?

by Anonymousreply 220January 10, 2021 8:43 AM

[quote]It is truly the greatest violation a LEO can commit IMHO.

But a SAGITTARIUS is capable of much worse!

by Anonymousreply 221January 10, 2021 9:23 AM

[quote] Ain't I the butchest?

No, R220, just warped. There are definitely some mentally unbalanced people on this site.

by Anonymousreply 222January 10, 2021 9:43 AM

The Left is using this little incursion into the Capitol - which lasted all of one hour - as its Reichstag moment. Expect the Biden-Harris administration to use this to curtail freedom of speech, purge government agencies of anyone suspected of wrongthink, allow Big Tech oligarchs to censor at will, open the borders to ensure a flood of cheap labor to ensure high profits and a more compliant workforce, force the green nonsense down our throats, promote radical transgenderism at the expense of ordinary gays and lesbians, and all the other crap they have been pushing for years.

by Anonymousreply 223January 10, 2021 10:08 AM

We’re coming for you, R223! Prepare to be re-educated 😀

by Anonymousreply 224January 10, 2021 10:10 AM

Thanks for dropping in, Milo at R223.

Now get the fuck out.

by Anonymousreply 225January 10, 2021 11:00 AM

R223 It is not our fault that ignorant pricks like you refuse to evolve with the rest of mankind. What is it about gay people, people of color, ect, that so intimidates you? Do you feel inferior because you can not keep up with them? And without even asking, I absolutely know you have mommy issues and a mushroom dick.

by Anonymousreply 226January 10, 2021 11:30 AM

[quote]And don’t think countries around the world didn’t see that.

We saw it R14. It was a reoccurring theme in all the videos.

by Anonymousreply 227January 10, 2021 11:46 AM

No one is listening to Kushner, of all people, an unelected twerp that is completely powerless at this point, and Trump has no allies, R203. Any attempt to push back against impeachment has been rightfully silenced.

I think you forget that Senators and House members lives were directly threatened. They were terrorized for hours. They won’t be forgetting what Trump did to them. EVER.

The motivation to punish Trump and make sure he is rooted out of the party is extraordinary and the energy for that is NOT going to fade.

by Anonymousreply 228January 10, 2021 1:34 PM

R223 I am an out and proud gay male, so I am not sure how I could be 'intimidated' by gay men or lesbians. I haven't said anything against them, here or elsewhere. I did speak out against transgender ideology however, as I am very gender-critical. Is that what confused your little brain?

by Anonymousreply 229January 10, 2021 1:47 PM

So apparently the Nye Co Repubs are batshit crazy?

by Anonymousreply 230January 10, 2021 2:45 PM

The Daily Mail says Trump plans for this week: visit the border wall, do a rally in Texas, and participate in interviews about his accomplishments.

by Anonymousreply 231January 10, 2021 4:10 PM

He should not be allowed to do a rally of any kind. He will incite violence.

by Anonymousreply 232January 10, 2021 4:34 PM

A rally in Texas? Interviews about his accomplishments? That's fucking preposterous R231 and I hope it isn't true.

He should be banned from organizing any further rallies. Ever again.

by Anonymousreply 233January 10, 2021 4:37 PM

Looks like trump is doing damage control on his “legacy.”

by Anonymousreply 234January 10, 2021 4:50 PM

I am sure all the interviews will be on Fox where they breathlessly read his accomplishments for him and don’t even mention the mob riot he created.

by Anonymousreply 235January 10, 2021 5:01 PM

Um . . . why did Officer Liebengood commit suicide. Seems suspicious no?

by Anonymousreply 236January 10, 2021 6:14 PM

Of course it does.

by Anonymousreply 237January 10, 2021 6:59 PM

R229 This was not meant for or this thread. I either messed up or it happened when DL was acting up.

by Anonymousreply 238January 10, 2021 7:12 PM

They should not let him do rallies period. We shall see.

by Anonymousreply 239January 10, 2021 8:05 PM

This guy really loves rallies and loves all those people worshiping him. The guy withers away when he lacks attention or adoration. We should stop his rallies.

by Anonymousreply 240January 11, 2021 9:51 PM

I’m watching Sherrod Brown on Ari.....he truly looks like he’s aged 20 years — he doesn’t look like he’s physically ok. It was jarring. He talked about LG tearing off his mask and screaming at an officer that they didn’t do enough to protect them while they were all trapped together. Can you IMAGINE? The one who caused this turns around and abuses the (likely black) help? Such a CUNT.

by Anonymousreply 241January 11, 2021 10:57 PM

Miz Lindz is an officer AND a lady.

by Anonymousreply 242January 12, 2021 4:37 AM

"He will incite violence"

Hopefully from the dupes he stole money from.

by Anonymousreply 243January 12, 2021 5:05 AM

That mincing prisspot should have been thrown to the mob.

It would have been fitting.

by Anonymousreply 244January 12, 2021 5:11 AM

They *devoured* him!!!

by Anonymousreply 245January 12, 2021 11:22 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!