Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Apparently the future was actually in the past, at least with refrigerators

Look at this GE fridge from the 50s, with the movable shelves etc. and probably durable enough to withstand an explosion! Things were built well back then. Now? Bwahahaha

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13January 3, 2021 7:27 PM

That refrigerator is not from the 50s. 50s refrigerators had rounded corners. This is from the 60s/70s

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1January 3, 2021 3:51 AM

I still have my parents' Philco fridge in my garage. Works great, filled with beverages, never had to call for service. The thing has to be over 50 fucking years old! Plus, it's PINK! I've had offers on it and refuse every one.

by Anonymousreply 2January 3, 2021 4:13 AM

Been watching TPIR reruns on Pluto TV and amazed at how much nicer furniture was back then compared to the plastic shit we have now.

by Anonymousreply 3January 3, 2021 4:22 AM

R3 100%

My grandma still has stuff from when she was young and they still work etc. it’s insane. She even says if she bought a new one it would break down within a few years but that one lasted 50. They don’t make things like they used to.

by Anonymousreply 4January 3, 2021 4:49 AM

They ABSOLUTLEY DO NOT make thing like they used to. The vast majority of stuff today is just disposable crap!

by Anonymousreply 5January 3, 2021 5:56 AM

What a great shelf design...wonder why no more?

by Anonymousreply 6January 3, 2021 5:59 AM

R6 same. That would make life so much easier when cleaning

by Anonymousreply 7January 3, 2021 8:48 AM

My parents married in 1957 and so many of our household goods were wedding presents. The toaster got retired in the early 70's when they bought one of those new fangled pop-ups. Soon after the electric kettle got replaced by one with an automatic boil off switch. But the sheets lasted into the early 90's and the blankets are still good. The Birko (see link) got inherited by my brother and is still boiling eggs and heating soups. I inherited their original fridge and gave it to a film set prop company, still working. Another brother still has the wall mounted coffee grinder.

Then again, I went through my filofax last year and found a bunch of warranties from 2005. The fridge, microwave, gas heater and TV are still working fine, only the aircon has carked it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8January 3, 2021 9:19 AM

Our family has a cottage built in the mid-1970s. The Whirlpool washer is at least that old, but is only used consistently 2-3 months out of the year.

And let me tell you, it works better than any front-loader, HE washer made today.

by Anonymousreply 9January 3, 2021 9:24 AM

@r6, "What a great shelf design...wonder why no more? "

Although good for cleaning, I think all the little stuff might have a tendency to fall off when pulling the shelf out and returning it

by Anonymousreply 10January 3, 2021 9:28 AM

R10 then don’t put the small stuff at the back

by Anonymousreply 11January 3, 2021 1:35 PM

^^ Oh, C'mon, the stuff you don't use much always gets pushed to the back, then when you pull the shelf out 4 things fall off, spill and make a mess

by Anonymousreply 12January 3, 2021 5:01 PM

Or pull the shelf out slowly

by Anonymousreply 13January 3, 2021 7:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!