Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Brady Bunch Movie (1995)

Does anyone else love this movie? I am watching it right now for the first time in years and am surprised by how funny it really is. It holds up well and if you were a fan of the series (or just watched it like many did growing up) you get all the jokes so well. Even more so now as an adult than as a kid.

The casting was spot on and the script very witty. I always loved Jan in this. So funny. And Marcia was always my fav ❤️

Also, was the 90s rock version of Davy Jones’ “Girl” ever actually recorded? It’s actually very good and works well as a rock song. Love this scene (and the follow-up when the lesbian punches that gorgeous asshole out after he calls Marcia a slut).

I remember hating the sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2022 7:51 AM

I liked the sequel!

The 'Sure, Jan' gif alone makes it worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 1January 1, 2021 5:32 PM

It’s was funny, but the Sequel was better.

by Anonymousreply 2January 1, 2021 5:39 PM

The Brady Bunch Movie and A Very Brady Sequel never stop being hilarious. The writing was perfect because it was written in a way where it was making fun on the original series, but in a way that was obviously loving of the original series. I'm amazed that they included spoofs from so many storylines from the original, and putting the family in the 90s was a stroke of genius. It cannot be said enough that the cast was perfect. Christine Taylor brought the famous "skewl" pronunciation to Marcia. Jennifer Elise Cox was a revelation as Jan. They even got minor details that only a superfan would catch like Jan's voice cracking when she says, "His name? It's George."

I've seen both movies a million times and I still find them laugh out loud funny.

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2021 5:40 PM

I thought it was great. Funny, fast-paced, and even Shelley Long gave a good performance. Odd fact: the guy who plays the campus stud is Robert Conrad's son Shane.

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2021 5:41 PM

Moesha, Moesha, Moesha!

by Anonymousreply 5January 1, 2021 5:42 PM

I remember seeing it in the theatre when it came out. I was with a couple of friends from grad school and one was older (in her 40s at the time). She DID NOT appreciate it at all and thought it was totally stupid, but the rest of us (who were Gen Xers) laughed our asses off. I think it still holds up very well. The sequel was okay, just not as subversive. I think they were trying to make it more kid friendly at that point.

by Anonymousreply 6January 1, 2021 5:43 PM

Shane Conrad today

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7January 1, 2021 5:44 PM

Which one has Jean Smart playing the slutty neighbor.

by Anonymousreply 8January 1, 2021 5:44 PM

R8 this one.

by Anonymousreply 9January 1, 2021 5:46 PM

This and AIRPLANE! still retain a great deal of their laughs.

by Anonymousreply 10January 1, 2021 5:48 PM

I watch this at least once a year (hate the sequel ) along with Addams Family Values. Those of us who grew up in the 60s can definitely relate to how fast it all changed by the 90s.

by Anonymousreply 11January 1, 2021 5:50 PM

Sam's coming over tonight for a meat delivery!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12January 1, 2021 5:51 PM

Which movie had Greg and Marcia moving into the attic together and struggling to fight their urges? That scene was hilarious, especially the bit where Marcia's voice dropped for a moment into low, sultry Kathleen Turner territory.

by Anonymousreply 13January 1, 2021 5:52 PM

The first one. The second was a take off on the famous multi-part Hawaii storyline. I like them both but I think the second one is actually a better and more consistent film.

by Anonymousreply 14January 1, 2021 5:54 PM

R13 the second one.

by Anonymousreply 15January 1, 2021 5:55 PM

I thought it was hilarious. The reason it works so well is that it's making fun of the show while still being a loving tribute to it. I watched it again recently on TV and found myself still laughing at just about all of it. It's help up very well.

by Anonymousreply 16January 1, 2021 5:56 PM

The copycat Thread Thief is now mining “Sure, Jan” for new ways to suck up yiur attention.

Yikes!

by Anonymousreply 17January 1, 2021 5:58 PM

We used to watch this together with my family on summer vacation. We all loved it-those of us who grew up watching the reruns after school and the younger generation for whom it was just a silly comedy. I always lost it every time Gary Cole delivered one of Mike's teaching moments, especially while sitting at his drafting table in the den.

by Anonymousreply 18January 1, 2021 6:01 PM

The sequel tried too hard. It also felt like it was made for 5 year olds compared to the first, which felt mature.

What was up with all the random musical numbers in the sequel???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19January 1, 2021 6:01 PM

yiur, r17?

by Anonymousreply 20January 1, 2021 6:02 PM

Gary Cole perfected Robert Reed’s voice.

by Anonymousreply 21January 1, 2021 6:03 PM

R21 according to Susan Olsen, Reeds daughter would agree with you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 1, 2021 6:04 PM

Alice to Mike at the beginning of the film...

"Don't bend over Mr. Brady."

I was shocked they got away with that since Robert Reed hadn't long died from AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 23January 1, 2021 6:14 PM

Barry is more handsome as an older man, at r22.

by Anonymousreply 24January 1, 2021 6:25 PM

This and the sequel are two of my favorite rainy day movies. These and Drop Dead Gorgeous. Ru Paul as the school counselor and the neighbor family were great too.

Mr Dittmeyer : Why don't you hop back on the Swiss Miss package where you belong huh?

by Anonymousreply 25January 1, 2021 6:25 PM

This and the sequel are two of my favorite rainy day movies. These and Drop Dead Gorgeous. Ru Paul as the school counselor and the neighbor family were great too.

Mr Dittmeyer : Why don't you hop back on the Swiss Miss package where you belong huh?

by Anonymousreply 26January 1, 2021 6:25 PM

What DLer wouldn't love a mean Dittmeyer kid saying "THEE YOU ON THE THEETHAW THINDY"?

by Anonymousreply 27January 1, 2021 6:27 PM

R27 I actually felt that family was the weakest part of the film

by Anonymousreply 28January 1, 2021 9:44 PM

Omg I just learned this song was in the original show lmao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29January 1, 2021 11:24 PM

It’s always interesting watching Barry dance lmao

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30January 1, 2021 11:25 PM

Bobby is now this guy on Chicago PD.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31January 1, 2021 11:39 PM

It blows my mind that R30’s clip is almost 50(!) years old. I watched the show religiously growing up and have seen every episode a hundred times. I feel so close to the kid actors, even though I’m not. I’ve watched them grow up and get older my entire life. I’m happy they’ve all made it to 60 and seem to be living good lives.

by Anonymousreply 32January 1, 2021 11:45 PM

It really launched the whole nostalgia obsession. Before that, everyone was afraid of looking back (except gay men, who are the keepers of camp) .

Ever since, it's been remake after sequel after prequel. And even 'instant nostalgia', where something is like 2 years old and everyone gets misty.

by Anonymousreply 33January 1, 2021 11:55 PM

This was far from the first film to be built around nostalgia. Every generation has that.

by Anonymousreply 34January 1, 2021 11:59 PM

The first was way better than the sequel. Saw the second at an advanced screening on the Paramount lot. Was chosen to stay after to discuss the film. We ALL agreed they tried to cram too much into the second film.

by Anonymousreply 35January 2, 2021 12:10 AM

The second film made less than half of what the first did.

by Anonymousreply 36January 2, 2021 12:13 AM

The first nostalgia craze happened around 1970, r33.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37January 2, 2021 12:19 AM

Yes. Happy Days and American Graffiti existed because young adults who grew up in the 50s were longing for those days again. People were nostalgic for the 50s during the 70s. That was the first craze.

by Anonymousreply 38January 2, 2021 12:21 AM

I would recommend watching the 2nd one again if it's been a while. It actually holds up alongside the first one very well.

by Anonymousreply 39January 2, 2021 12:25 AM

Is there a streaming service that these are on right now?

by Anonymousreply 40January 2, 2021 12:37 AM

They are both on Showtime Anytime.

by Anonymousreply 41January 2, 2021 12:39 AM

[quote]I would recommend watching the 2nd one again if it's been a while. It actually holds up alongside the first one very well.

No, it doesn't. But thank you for playing. Johnny, tell him what he's won.

by Anonymousreply 42January 2, 2021 12:41 AM

R42, no one is impressed that you went to the Paramount lot to see the movie, so you can lose the attitude, dear.

by Anonymousreply 43January 2, 2021 12:43 AM

The '70s craze wasn't just about the '50s, r38. Young people were starting to show an interest in Golden Age movie stars among other things. Nostalgia craze was really a misnomer as the people celebrating some of those eras hadn't even been born yet.

by Anonymousreply 44January 2, 2021 12:43 AM

Lol r43.

by Anonymousreply 45January 2, 2021 12:45 AM

I hope this and the sequel come to one of the streaming services my household has sometime soon. I've never seen the movies (nor the original show to be honest) but have seen clips of it and it looks like a fun way to while away a few hours.

by Anonymousreply 46January 2, 2021 1:03 AM

R46 the original series is on Hulu

by Anonymousreply 47January 2, 2021 1:04 AM

Does Rita Wilson get a cameo?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48January 2, 2021 1:15 AM

Chris Knight looked so sexy in his 5 second cameo

by Anonymousreply 49January 2, 2021 1:19 AM

OP, there was a cd movie soundtrack that included the rock version of “Girl”. So yes, it’s recorded and out there.

by Anonymousreply 50January 2, 2021 1:21 AM

OP. Girl is on Youtube, not just in the clip from the movie you posted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51January 2, 2021 1:31 AM

I miss Davy Jones.

by Anonymousreply 52January 2, 2021 1:32 AM

Davy was a handsome man.

by Anonymousreply 53January 2, 2021 1:38 AM

OF COURSE Eve Plumb hasn’t seen any of the movies. Once a pill always a pill.

by Anonymousreply 54January 2, 2021 3:51 AM

Don't forget Maureen, Marcia's lesbian best friend who has a huge crush on Marcia, Marcia, Marcia. Maureen even felt Marcia up during a sleepover.

by Anonymousreply 55January 2, 2021 3:58 AM

Here is the clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56January 2, 2021 4:07 AM

The only issue I had with the sequel is that the creators tried to be too cute by throwing in references to other shows such as John Hillerman's character referring to his son Gilligan who went missing during a three hour cruse and Barbara Eden showing up at the end as Mike's presumable dead wife but obviously meant to be Jeannie.

by Anonymousreply 57January 2, 2021 5:00 AM

It's so interesting to really take a look at Sherwood Schwartz' career. You would think he was the Norman Lear of crap sitcoms the way he's always talked about, but in truth, he didn't really do that much and only had two shows that ran more than one season- The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island. I guess the real skill he had was to take those only two hits and milk the fuck out of them for decade after decade after decade.

by Anonymousreply 58January 2, 2021 6:11 AM

R49 He would've been 36/37 when the film was made. So yeah he was.

R58 SS might've only had 2 hits but they are the 2 biggest hits in the 60s & 70s which is nothing to deride.

His 2 hits will live on for centuries to come if humanity gets them.

by Anonymousreply 59January 2, 2021 6:54 AM

R54 yeah, she really is. She never had the Patty Duke/Valley of the Dolls revelation that it meant a lot to a lot of people so you may as well just embrace it. The sour puss at these Brady things does not make me think we'll of her.

by Anonymousreply 60January 2, 2021 6:56 AM

I love this movie.

when Jan says to her siblings hey, there's a talent show down at the high school and first prize is the money we need for the back taxes on the house!

The Brady kids blast her; c'mon Jan! we need a REAL solution.

Beat.

Marcia: "Hey guys! There's a talent show down at the high school ...."

Brady Kids: GREAT IDEA, Marcia!

That film was written by a middle child.

by Anonymousreply 61January 2, 2021 7:04 AM

[quote] SS might've only had 2 hits but they are the 2 biggest hits in the 60s & 70s which is nothing to deride. His 2 hits will live on for centuries to come if humanity gets them.

Well, first of all, I wasn't deriding him. I simply remarked that I was surprised his output was so slight since he's looked upon as this titan of television.

And neither show was that big of a hit in their initial runs Gilligan ran three seasons and The Brady Bunch ran five, and it never placed much higher than low 30s. It was only in syndication that they amassed the following they have. Again, not deriding him or the shows (though I despise Gilligan's Island but recognize how beloved it is) and he clearly made two shows that went on to become part of the pop culture lexicon and will live on for at least a few more decades until everyone who has nostalgia for it dies out. I just expected to find that he had a string of successful shows.

by Anonymousreply 62January 2, 2021 8:57 AM

I love both Brady movies but prefer the sequel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63January 2, 2021 1:28 PM

I'm so glad R43, because I only told that part because it was the truth, nothing more. Living in Los Angeles, shit like that and celebrity sightings on the street and such are common place.

Sorry that you live in a fly-over state.

And the sequel still sucks.

by Anonymousreply 64January 2, 2021 3:21 PM

Roy Martin: "I'm gonna kick your Brady butt!"

Thindy: "Daddy, he said the B-word!"

by Anonymousreply 65January 2, 2021 3:57 PM

Wow, R64, I guess you got me! I'll just be quiet and let you bask in the glory of talking about how you once saw Brenda Vaccaro in a Hamburger Hamlet while I envy you, you big city mogul!

by Anonymousreply 66January 2, 2021 9:27 PM

Not only did The Brady Bunch Movie seamlessly incorporate countless bits from the series, it even managed to pay tribute to Eve Plumb's (Jan) foray into more adult prime time programming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67January 2, 2021 9:59 PM

I love the first movie. I must have seen it in the threaters 5 times when it came out in 1995. Such a loving send-up of the series. I watch the movie again every couple of years. Still holds up.

I enjoyed the sequel, but not as much as the original. I agree they tried to cram too much into it, especially the Gilligan's Island tie in, the Magnum PI tie in, and the the Jeannie cameo. It was too much, especially since all those references came in the last 10 minutes of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 68January 2, 2021 10:11 PM

[quote]Wow, [R64], I guess you got me! I'll just be quiet and let you bask in the glory of talking about how you once saw Brenda Vaccaro in a Hamburger Hamlet while I envy you, you big city mogul!

I know my truth. Now, shouldn't you be getting ready to rub your mother's feet while y'all watch Wheel of Fortune?

by Anonymousreply 69January 2, 2021 10:37 PM

Wrong, R61. Jan suggesting the Search for the Stars contest and Marcia suggesting it are 2 separate scenes several scenes apart. Marcia suggesting it and everyone believing it was the first they heard of it is what causes Jan to run away.

by Anonymousreply 70January 3, 2021 12:22 AM

Thanks for restoring history to its proper context R70.

by Anonymousreply 71January 3, 2021 12:25 AM

No problem.

by Anonymousreply 72January 3, 2021 1:34 AM

R70 R70 R70!

by Anonymousreply 73January 3, 2021 12:38 PM

I loved the original, but came to prefer the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 74January 3, 2021 4:27 PM

Seriously? They couldn't even get the fact that before they landed in Hawaii, Dad's hair wasn't curly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75January 3, 2021 10:13 PM

[quote]The only issue I had with the sequel is that the creators tried to be too cute by throwing in references to other shows such as John Hillerman's character referring to his son Gilligan who went missing during a three hour cruse and Barbara Eden showing up at the end as Mike's presumable dead wife but obviously meant to be Jeannie.

I disliked those things too.

by Anonymousreply 76January 3, 2021 11:01 PM

LoL @ poor Greg telling Marcia "something suddenly came up" after she gives him mouth-to-mouth (though this was the sequel.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77January 4, 2021 3:59 AM

R67 Wow! I never knew that. This has to be one of the most clever films ever concocted.

by Anonymousreply 78January 4, 2021 4:00 AM

R73, cut the [italic]crap.

by Anonymousreply 79January 4, 2021 4:01 AM

[quote]What DLer wouldn't love a mean Dittmeyer kid saying "THEE YOU ON THE THEETHAW THINDY"?

Thindy Brady Wath a Thlut!

by Anonymousreply 80January 7, 2021 10:56 AM

SHE WANTS THE BRADYS' MAIL, LARRY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82January 7, 2021 11:08 AM

The 3rd movie was dreadful. Shelley Long and Gary Cole returned but the kids were all recast due to it being released several years after the second film. It was a TV film. Mike runs for president and the Bradys all go to Washington, D.C.

by Anonymousreply 83January 7, 2021 11:48 AM

It says a lot when the parody films are funnier and better acted than the entire franchise they were inspired by. Robert Reed was sexier than Gary Cole, so the original had that advantage.

by Anonymousreply 84July 4, 2021 12:18 PM

I watched the first film and sequel and they're still very funny.

I think the first film is superior although the sequel is still pretty good. I agree with the comments here that they tried to cram too much into the sequel. The first film is much more focused.

I do love how they model Cindy in these films after the Bad Seed.

I found Christopher Daniel Barnes pretty cute in this.

by Anonymousreply 85January 18, 2022 5:35 AM

I love both movies & have seen them at least 5 times. Before I retired, I had a new coworker who sat inches from me, & right off the bat learned it’s her fave comedy, which bonded us for life. She told me she dragged her hubby to the opening night screening & he hated it! My sister also saw it opening night & said people were walking out during the showing.

I saw the sequel by myself during a matinee, feeling like a creepy 25 year old in a sea of tweens. Nonetheless, I laughed hysterically during Jan’s antics at the coffee shop with the mannequin.

The casting is pitch perfect but Christine Taylor stole the show.

by Anonymousreply 86January 18, 2022 6:13 AM

I haven't seen the sequel since it came out, but I remember thinking it was pretty much on par with the first movie. I especially loved Carol desperately needlepointing "HELP!" and Roy Martin tripping with the Bradys, complete with the Filmation Brady Kids.

by Anonymousreply 87January 18, 2022 7:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!