Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors/actresses and their social views.

I'm not a republican nor gratuitously cynical, but I think actors and actresses don't care about social issues as much as they let on. I believe most would work with Cosby/Weinstein types in a heartbeat if they knew the media would leave them alone about it.

Your thoughts on this subject?

by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2021 12:39 PM

Being an actor/activist can keep them relevant and in the news and on social media. It's more about them than the issue(s). They're hypocrites for the most part.

by Anonymousreply 1December 31, 2020 10:39 PM

Actors who will only work with decent, moral, non-criminal people won't get a lot of work outside of Indie films where they're paid scale.

The fact is that actors have very little power, compared to the upper-level producers, directors, and studio executives. Actors are all independent contractors and the suits are the ones that hire them, or refuse to hire them if they make trouble, and the power-hungry suits know it. Some of them take advantage of their power over actors and other people in the entertainment industry, and those that don't won't lift a finger against those that do, and if there's trouble they'll probably protect their fellow suit just to maintain the status quo. Really, the people who go around slamming actors wor working with the likes of Weinstein don't get it - if you want to work in Hollywood, that means working with scum artists. Even if the actors try to bypass the Weinsteins and produce their own films, they still need to work with these guys if they want financing and distribution.

by Anonymousreply 2December 31, 2020 11:19 PM

Reasons why most would work with those types if they could get away with it:

-Some simply don't care

-Some think it's interesting/edgy/whatever to work with controversial/bad figures

-Some separate personal life (no matter how bad) from art

by Anonymousreply 3January 1, 2021 2:05 AM

R2 well said. Now if only the cancel culture on twitter understood that.

by Anonymousreply 4January 1, 2021 4:32 AM

Everyone in Hollywood is signed up to star in David O. Russell's new movie. Russell is even worse than Joss Whedon. You can't tell me they're forced to work with him. He's talented and as long as the media is quit about him, they don't care that he's a piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2021 6:03 AM

Well dim Damon knew about Weinstein and Gwyneth and surely must have realized that if Harvey is going after upper eastside born Paltrow whose father was a producer and director and whose mom is Blythe Danner than imagine what he'd do to that prototypical wide-eyed starlet from Topeka. Kansas.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2021 6:14 AM

I don't think it's a case of "they have to work with scumbags or else they'd have no career." That's taking the easy way out Maybe for D-listers that's true, but not everyone else. They want to work with talented/powerful people and not think about the scummy part. They'll continue to do it until it gets bad for their image. Then they'll turn all righteous like they did with Harvey Weinstein, Roman Polanski and Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2021 6:16 AM

They're all whores darlin.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2021 6:20 AM

What people SAY and what people DO are often two different things.

Especially for neurotic people who get paid to pretend.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2021 8:36 AM

Most actors and actresses are dimwits, so you have to cut them some slack. There are exceptions, of course. I think Jodie Foster and Lisa Kudrow, for example, are probably pretty smart.

But, as a whole, they aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2021 11:45 AM

The drama geeks in high school who went on to act weren't the popular, attractive people. They're desperate for love, attention, acclaim. A healthy person with normal self esteem probably wouldn't do what they do. I've done some modeling and hated it- it is dehumanizing. You are treated as an object. You have to really, really want fame (not really money because that's never as much as it seems) and eat so much pride to be treated like that. Or already be broken.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2021 12:02 PM

I've never met an actor who wasn't basically a needy, power-worshipping, attention-seeking POS.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2021 12:04 PM

There's a lot of interesting/complicated issues that everyone in the industry needs to have a conversation about, but most would rather not because they're afraid of finding out/admitting that they're hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2021 8:27 AM

They're cowards.

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2021 8:34 AM

Are there any actors who are decent people anymore? What happens to you when you get to Hollywood and become successful? Why are so many of them susceptible to corruption and in some cases, depravity?

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2021 9:08 AM

Most actors/actresses want to work, get famous and make money. They don't want to think about the dark side of the industry. They sure as hell don't want to think about their own hypocrisy/answer any tough questions.

by Anonymousreply 16February 22, 2021 10:59 AM

That's true of all women, OP.

by Anonymousreply 17February 22, 2021 11:01 AM

[Quote] They'll continue to do it until it gets bad for their image. Then they'll turn all righteous like they did with Harvey Weinstein, Roman Polanski and Woody Allen.

Of course there are exceptions e.g ScarJo.

[Quote] Why are so many of them susceptible to corruption and in some cases, depravity?

Hollyweird does seem to attract the mentally ill.

by Anonymousreply 18February 22, 2021 12:36 PM

Most actors/actresses (and most celebrities in general) are not evil, but they do want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to save the world, but they also don't mind working with scumbags to further their own career.

by Anonymousreply 19February 24, 2021 6:10 PM

Before social media, it was a lot easier for them to work with the (talented) scumbags and more or less get away with it. It's a whole different ballgame now.

by Anonymousreply 20February 24, 2021 6:14 PM

Most celebrities in general want to have their cake and eat it too. They want to save the world, but they have no personal qualms working with scumbags to further their career/bank account.

by Anonymousreply 21February 24, 2021 6:16 PM

This is why I can't stand the likes of Winslet. They are happy to work with Woody, Roman and Harvey until they cannot get away with it in the age of woke. Then they denounce them ipso facto as if they were conned.

by Anonymousreply 22February 24, 2021 6:22 PM

R12:

Please! Tell us MORE about your experiences with M.

by Anonymousreply 23February 24, 2021 6:34 PM

It was nice to have a legit reason to dismiss Emma Watson, after she endorsed Mermaids. Before that, everyone was just calling me a bitter jealous hater for saying she had no acting talent, no star power, and no other credential either.

Good for her making her money that young and taking it off the hands of nerdy weirdos; I really do respect the hustle, if nothing else. And she does seem a genuinely nice enough, sweet woman who is quite pretty. Bully for her.

All the same, she seems like she’s in the wrong business altogether. My imagination insists should work in a posh suburb somewhere, perhaps as a well-intentioned but clueless Nanny, or as a bookshop clerk, or as a local library assistant or primary school teaching assistant. She just doesn’t come over as someone who’s particularly creatively smart or dynamic or anyone to watch.

by Anonymousreply 24February 24, 2021 7:31 PM

Films are made by many people. The main crew of the film might be great and upstanding people, but what if they have a horrible producer like Weinstein? Does that mean everyone involved in the film is culpable? He was a piece of shit, but he did finance some good movies every now and then.

by Anonymousreply 25February 24, 2021 8:21 PM

Hollywood exposes the ugly, base natures in people.

by Anonymousreply 26February 27, 2021 12:00 PM

A lot of people in the industry just want to go for the low-hanging fruit and call it a day. They won't dare call out someone who is still relevant.

by Anonymousreply 27February 27, 2021 12:11 PM

I'd like to know how many of them screaming for 50% representation all the time would give up their jobs so a black person could take their roles? It's easier to push for over-representation when you know your job is safe, it also takes away some of the future competition that other white people working their way up could cause them.

by Anonymousreply 28February 27, 2021 12:14 PM

Even the most woke of celebs are not immune to hypocrisy. For example: I can't 100% prove that Jessica Chastain was aware of Matthew, but I do know his domestic violence record has been all over Wikipedia for years. Plus, articles and videos. Look, celebrities have armies of handlers. Jessica was even a major producer on this movie. The evidence suggests that it's practically impossible that she didn't know.

by Anonymousreply 29February 27, 2021 1:35 PM

*Matthew Newton

by Anonymousreply 30February 27, 2021 1:37 PM

[quote]OP: republican

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 31February 27, 2021 1:40 PM

Too many people in the industry put art, fame and money over decency.

by Anonymousreply 32February 27, 2021 9:44 PM

Okay, here's the deal:

Most actors/actresses are very ambitious and will work with awful people in the name of art/fame/money. Especially if the press isn't poking their nose around.

Some actors/actresses are awful themselves - so of course, they don't give a shit.

Then there's the Jessica Chastain types who will work with problematic people if they build enough of a personal connection with them.

by Anonymousreply 33February 28, 2021 12:42 PM

R0

[quote] I'm not a republican nor gratuitously cynical,

Oh Dear.

FWIW OP, few today know how to tastefully utilize not ...or construction.

by Anonymousreply 34February 28, 2021 1:18 PM

Its all about the money, most will do anything to make money.

by Anonymousreply 35February 28, 2021 2:03 PM

R35 Including Harvey Weinstein.

by Anonymousreply 36February 28, 2021 3:09 PM

But Jessica didn't form enough of a connection with Matthew Newton not to force him to walk away from the director's chair when the media was just starting to turn up the heat.

by Anonymousreply 37February 28, 2021 5:11 PM

Most people in the industry are willing to do some pretty terrible, hypocritical things in the name of art/fame/turning a profit.

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2021 4:51 PM

The way someone like Sia handled the criticism for her movie "Music" is a prime example of how full of shit celeb can be.

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2021 1:22 PM

Sia proved that "Music" was just a vanity project. Her attitude towards the criticism proves it. She even got caught in a number of lies.

by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2021 1:34 PM

I am really torn on this question.

On one hand, profile for issues is important, so if anybody brings attention to something that affects us all, that's a good thing.

The problem is dumb celebrities, who probably don't know much more than any of us, often overstep.

by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2021 1:53 PM

There was a blind item about Shaun Mendes, his beard Camila and a few others who showed up for the BLM protests last year strictly for the publicity. Blatant photo op. Really hypocritical considering Camilla Cabello and her racist behavior in the past.

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2021 1:56 PM

[R26], I found that Corporate America does the same thing. It sucks your soul right out of you.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2021 1:58 PM

Most actors and actresses would prefer not to work with people like Cosby and Weinstein. For their own safety and the safety of others.

by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2021 2:39 PM

I agree, OP. Most do it for PR, and having a good image. Some are heartfelt about issues, but most are phony hypocrites. It's cringe worthy when you hear their bs. Most jump on the popular "opinion" of the moment..wanting to look good and cool.

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2021 3:40 PM

The majority of actors and actresses are opportunists who are willing work with awful people as long there's no bad publicity. They will throw these people under the bus or at least distance themselves when it's convenient.

by Anonymousreply 46June 3, 2021 11:23 PM

Why celebrities work with awful people:

1, They're awful themselves

2. They're friends with said awful person

3. Being controversial/provocative on purpose

4. Star-struck and not thinking things through

5. Taking the attitude of "it's none of my business" or "maybe it's not true."

95% of them will distance themselves or throw someone under the bus when it's convenient. The other 5% simply don't give a shit.

by Anonymousreply 47July 25, 2021 8:52 AM

Even worse are parents who pimp out their children to known predators.

by Anonymousreply 48July 25, 2021 9:22 AM

[quote]Everyone in Hollywood is signed up to star in David O. Russell's new movie. Russell is even worse than Joss Whedon

I disagree R5. David O. Russell is merely a horrible to work with asshole but he doesn't take it to the point of threatening people's career like Whedon. And he's a horrible-asshole to everyone, he doesn't target women and POC more harshly which seems to be part of Whedon's M.O.

by Anonymousreply 49July 25, 2021 9:28 AM

R48 I am aware of Lindsay Lohan’s and Aaron Carter’s parents allegedly being responsible for doing this…who else?

by Anonymousreply 50July 25, 2021 10:50 AM

Professional actors, like the majority of the sanctimonious twats casting aspersions on this thread, ultimately work for large, global corporations. ALL large global corporations perpetrate and benefit from anti-humanitarian investments, cruel labor practices abroad and employ an army of public relations firms to make sure you don't know anything about it. Or care. Even if you freelance, you can trace your last paycheck to some unsavory group of incorporated sociopaths who are doing bad shit somewhere. Even if you are a nurse or a doctor.

If you work for a corporation and don't do a "Norma Rae" at every injustice or wrongdoing, you are aware your employer does, you are no different than actors who, like you, work for major, global corporations who are anti-human and don't pay a dime in taxes or have an ounce of accountability.

What motivates you to post on a message board? The need to communicate? The desire to communicate? Or is it merely a desperate attempt to get the spotlight on yourself, if even for a few fleeting seconds? Acting is a craft, some say art, that is practiced by some people in the acting profession. The motivations for doing it (though very few can do ti well) are varied and complex. Similar to the motivations of anyone who does any job anywhere. Everyone hopes what they do will be noticed in some way, that is i the basis for communication and art and just fucking living in the world.

Some actors are very intelligent, some aren't. Pretty much the same cross-section that you find in any profession, Most very good actors, btw, are pretty smart on some level.

by Anonymousreply 51July 25, 2021 12:36 PM

R50 Demi Lovato, Britney Spears, Justin Bieber, Amanda Bynes, Millie Bobby Brown....the list goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 52July 25, 2021 12:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!