Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

‘Pretend It’s a City’ Trailer: Martin Scorsese’s Surprise Fran Lebowitz Doc Heads to Netflix

Fran Lebowitz knows what she likes — and what she doesn’t like. And she won’t wait for an invitation to tell you. For decades, the critic and essayist has been expressing her opinions, sometimes grouchily, always riotously. A New Yorker to the core, Lebowitz has raised straight talk to an art form, packaging her no-nonsense observations about the city and its denizens into a punchy running commentary, one that spares nobody. Shaping Lebowitz’s thoughts into the furiously funny guidebook every New Yorker has at one point wished for, “Pretend It’s a City” checks in with a classic urban voice on subjects ranging from tourists, money, subways, and the arts to the not-so-simple act of walking in Times Square. (There is a right way to do it.) Along the way, Lebowitz’s own past comes into focus: a life marked by constant curiosity and invigorating independence.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2021 12:44 AM

Where is Scorsese’s SCTV doc?

by Anonymousreply 1December 29, 2020 9:40 PM

She seriously is a creature who could only live in New York.

by Anonymousreply 2December 29, 2020 9:43 PM

Well, I can see why she is [bold]behind[/bold] the camera.

by Anonymousreply 3December 29, 2020 9:48 PM

She is the reincarnation of Dorothy Parker.

by Anonymousreply 4December 29, 2020 9:57 PM

I'm looking forward to this. I love Fran and hope she sticks around for a long time, but she's 70 and still smokes like a chimney.

by Anonymousreply 5December 29, 2020 11:16 PM

A LONG TALK

Fran Lebowitz vs. the World Talking (on a landline) with the star of Martin Scorsese’s cranky, necessary love letter to New York, Pretend It’s a City.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 31, 2020 2:53 AM

I've always wondered how Fran manages to live such a lavish lifestyle. She doesn't come from money and her income is mostly from speaking fees, (which certainly can't be in the Obama/Clinton range) yet she seems to want for nothing, her clothes are custom made on Savile Row in London and she lives in the Chelsea Merchantile building. That takes some serious money.

by Anonymousreply 7December 31, 2020 3:20 AM

When I heard about this I didn't have very charitable thoughts:

- Do we really need another series about New York and New Yorkers going on about how great their city is?

- Fran Lebowitz? Oh, I saw her once on Bill Maher, she seemed awfully full of herself.

- Martin Scorsese just makes films about horrible people you don't want to spend any time with.

But I was bored last weekend and put on an episode, thinking that they were only short so I wouldn't have to waste too much time if I hated it. Ended up watching the entire thing and enjoying it! So my preconceived notions were very wrong, I'm happy to say.

I enjoyed that it was through Lebowitz's perspective, because it wasn't a lame "love letter to New York" as it was described as, it really was just her honest feelings about the city that she obviously loves and wouldn't want to live anywhere else - but she's totally honest about all the failings she sees too. And funny about it. And it wasn't even all about New York anyway, it was much broader. And when she spoke of her past there it got me interested to know more about the old New York.

And what I had taken for smugness in a brief interview I had seen of her years ago, I now see more like her trying to bring people into the joke with her, smiling and inviting them in, if that makes sense. She's a curmudgeon, but really entertaining too. In the beginning I couldn't understand why Scorsese was laughing at everything she was saying, but over the episodes I got into the rhythm of her humour too, and found myself laughing.

And Scorsese seems sweet. I dunno, I am glad my preconceptions were proven wrong.

by Anonymousreply 8January 23, 2021 12:39 AM

Oh, and one part I loved was how she ran rings around Spike Lee so effortlessly with their discussion on sport. He sounded like he had no real argument and was just trying to pull a few "gotchas" on her and she just casually responded to everything and held her position. I got a kick out of that. Lee came across like one of those people who says things like: "Oh you can't prove there isn't a God, so there IS a God" type people when it came to his arguments on sport. Not very convincing.

by Anonymousreply 9January 23, 2021 12:44 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!