Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Adults obsessed with Disney

What is their damage?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126June 11, 2022 1:40 PM

Haven’t heard much about Disney-obsessed adults but the widespread obsession with Comic Con/comic books/cosplay and video games is pretty disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 1December 29, 2020 7:02 AM

I know a couple of people like this. My theory is that they are gentle, non-cynical people and the unpleasantness of the real world -- especially the toxicity of the last five years -- is just too much for them. If they could live in a real life rated PG, Disney movie, they probably would.

by Anonymousreply 2December 29, 2020 7:13 AM

R1 Does that include Furries?

by Anonymousreply 3December 29, 2020 7:33 AM

Walt Disney hated reality, too. His father was mean and forced him and his brothers to work when they were very young. When he grew up he rewrote his childhood and tried to gloss over some of the bitter feelings he had towards his dad. He never even went to funerals because he found them so unpleasant and uncomfortable. I’m thinking R2 is on to something with their assessment of the fans.

by Anonymousreply 4December 29, 2020 7:36 AM

I imagine this is no different than most people. Stuff we loved and brought us happiness as children we tend to still enjoy as adults because it gives us that comforted feeling. Personally, I can pick an Agatha Christie novel any time and happily read it, despite knowing the outcomes of all of them, and I can pop on a James Bond movie and enjoy watching it no matter how often I have. Someone once gave me a pretty sizable gift voucher for a book store and I got myself the complete collection of Tintin. I assume it's the same sort of thing with adults who love Disney, which interestingly I don't. I actually really don't like those movies, but I didn't grow up with them either.

by Anonymousreply 5December 29, 2020 7:44 AM

No doubt a DataLounge Favourite!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 29, 2020 8:01 AM

[quote][R1] Does that include Furries?

Disney enabled that with [italic]Robin Hood[/italic] then doubled down on it decades later with [italic]Zootopia[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 7December 29, 2020 8:07 AM

Some people who were badly damaged in childhood obsess about childish things, which can include Disney. It's like at some unconscious level they think they can repair the damage inflicted by a parent or step-parent by soaking themselves in the trappings of a happy childhood, whether they had any of those trappings at the time or not.

What R4 says about Disney himself is an example.

by Anonymousreply 8December 29, 2020 8:25 AM

The adults obsessed with Disney that I know all had difficult childhoods in one way or another

by Anonymousreply 9December 29, 2020 8:33 AM

I steer well clear of them.

by Anonymousreply 10December 29, 2020 8:41 AM

Who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 11December 29, 2020 8:51 AM

Why are gay men obsessed with The Golden Girls, teen pop singers and Judy Garland? What’s their damage?

by Anonymousreply 12December 29, 2020 8:52 AM

Even Disney itself is irreverent about the sort of people who collect Disney memorabilia. But that was before they became a monopoly. It's mainly in the last 35 years that their ubiquity has turned into megalomania.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 29, 2020 8:52 AM

I don't get it myself, but one of the bitterest cunts I know glows like a child when she's working her Disney obsession.

She has had a rough enough life. I will not shit on her moment of happiness. I just wait for her to be done some we can get back to excoriating morons we both hate.

by Anonymousreply 14December 29, 2020 8:52 AM

Ummmm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 29, 2020 8:59 AM

I know a 40 year-old woman obsessed with Disney- goes to the parks multiple times a year, knows everything about the park, owns Disney everything in her house. When I asked why I could kind of see it - her job sucks away her life, she lives with her aging parents, she doesn’t date and has always been single, and she is overweight. Doesn’t even have a pet. Her daily life is really nothing to look forward to, so she escapes.

We all need something, and Disney is hers.

by Anonymousreply 16December 29, 2020 9:01 AM

Obesity and other forms of disordered seem to be a common denominator among Disney fans.

Karen Carpenter collected Mickey Mouse memorabilia and shot the music video for "Please, Mr. Postman" at Disneyland. And look what happened to her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 29, 2020 9:07 AM

Disordered eating, that is.

by Anonymousreply 18December 29, 2020 9:14 AM

There's nothing wrong with trying to find joy in what is often a very joyless world, but it does seem like a characteristic of the damaged & emotionally stunted. Ditto for adults obsessed with Harry Potter.

by Anonymousreply 19December 29, 2020 9:16 AM

I dated a guy who was obsessed with Disney and collected Barbie dolls. He still lived at home well into his 30s and probably still does. He was very childlike and could barely function in the real world.

by Anonymousreply 20December 29, 2020 9:37 AM

I'm not as obsessed as most Disney fans. I have no memorabilia in the house. But I go to Disneyworld when I can though certainly not multiple times a year. It gives me great joy out of nostalgia really as the monopoly it has become is really monstrously selfish(the top execs despite all the layoffs still make 10s of millions a year) and is designed to suck the Disney suckers dry. It wasn't like this when I was a boy. You got your money's worth and you didn't feel constantly watched by a Mike Ogre with dollar signs in his eyes.

But I did have a very unhappy boyhood with parents constantly at each other's throats and then they would close ranks and turn on their children. And then I was called sissy at school constantly. Yes life was a HUGE mistake. Disney was a haven. Watching The Wonderful World of Color and then going to see the Disney movies in theaters. It showed me there was some happiness in the world even if it was manufactured. I had to take what I could get. Even as a mature adult meeting James MacArthur was a great thrill. I mean Swiss Family Robinson to this day is what I consider a hot movie. Disney knew how to get girls and gays heated up while the straight boys could enjoy the adventure.

by Anonymousreply 21December 29, 2020 9:39 AM

I meant Bob not Mike. Michael Eisner was the previous corporate raider.

by Anonymousreply 22December 29, 2020 9:41 AM

I like going to the parks every now and then to escape life for a few days but the full on obsession is a bit mind boggling. As others have said upthread, I think it's some way of coping with childhood trauma/arrested development.

by Anonymousreply 23December 29, 2020 10:06 AM

Are there any straight Disney-obsessed men? It seems to be mostly straight fraus and gay men.

by Anonymousreply 24December 29, 2020 2:36 PM

There is an even more freakish subcategory of adults who love Disney - adults who have Munchausen syndrome and revolving fake therapy dogs.

They can't work, they can't do anything productive but they can go to Disney 200 times a year after dying their dogs blue and dressing them up like Stitch.

And don't you dare acknowledge the dog- unless you are a Disney character who works there, then the dog needs to get bumped to the front of the line for pictures. every single time.

I follow a bunch of these freaks on a different site. crazy crazy crazy

by Anonymousreply 25December 29, 2020 2:43 PM

[Quote] Adults obsessed with Disney. What is their damage?

Autism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 29, 2020 3:09 PM

How does this impact you, OP?

by Anonymousreply 27December 29, 2020 3:12 PM

Very few good memories from childhood is my guess.

by Anonymousreply 28December 29, 2020 3:15 PM

It weird bc parentswho are obsessed with disney make very bad mothers/fathers. Their disturbed thinking is that Disney is for them, not their children. Disney is for children and parents take their kids there for a family experience.

See mommy blogs, obsessed with disney, bad mouth their children.

by Anonymousreply 29December 29, 2020 3:23 PM

is disney open now? Didn't they have to shut down because of the pandemic?

by Anonymousreply 30December 29, 2020 3:25 PM

[quote] Haven’t heard much about Disney-obsessed adults but the widespread obsession with Comic Con/comic books/cosplay and video games is pretty disturbing.

Why is Donald Duck a more objectionable topic of interest for adults than, say, Batman or Superman? Is it because the latter are not Disney and therefore are more socially acceptable, even though you're still feeding at the trough of corporate media?

by Anonymousreply 31December 29, 2020 3:27 PM

[quote]I follow a bunch of these freaks on a different site. crazy crazy crazy

You can't tease us like that and not provide a link!

by Anonymousreply 32December 29, 2020 3:27 PM

I never understood the Disney fascination, even as a kid. I was much more a fan of Looney Tunes. Disney to me always seemed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

by Anonymousreply 33December 29, 2020 3:33 PM

[quote]We all need something, and Disney is hers.

I'm just the opposite. I enjoyed Disneyland as a kid (who didn't?) but visiting as an adult was excruciating.

I found the fakeness incredibly off-putting,. I felt like every single thing was managed for me, zero spontaneity.

And don't get me started on the cost of all of it. For that amount of money, I'd much rather go to Europe or Asia and see real history and eat real food.

by Anonymousreply 34December 29, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote]When I asked why I could kind of see it - her job sucks away her life

I don't doubt that many people in the US are living through trauma and difficult times, but some of these people need to walk the streets of Phnom Penh or Bangkok and see real poverty and struggling in order to realize that they are so lucky that the worst thing in their life is a well-paying job they hate.

by Anonymousreply 35December 29, 2020 3:42 PM

I'm generalizing, but it seems like Millennials are especially enamored with all things Disney. I assume it's because they were children during Disney's animated film renaissance in the 90s and primarily consumed Disney channel content during their formative years (The Disney Channel became a basic cable channel in the 90s and cable subscribers no longer had to pay extra for it). I'm considered a "Xennial", so I'm not far removed from this generation, but Disney definitely seems to be a hallmark of the Millennial generation more than any other (same with Harry Potter). People around my age (early 40s) and older don't seem to be quite as captivated by all things Disney as those that came after. This is merely my observation and I could be way off.

by Anonymousreply 36December 29, 2020 3:50 PM

[quote] I never understood the Disney fascination, even as a kid. I was much more a fan of Looney Tunes. Disney to me always seemed to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

Disney didn't subject its flagship character to what amounted to a 90-minute shoe commercial.

by Anonymousreply 37December 29, 2020 3:52 PM

r32, it's kiwifarms, thread Munchausens by internet in the beauty parlor is a pretty good starting place. I don't want to link because it would get this thread locked down possibly and me a spanking (also possibly)

by Anonymousreply 38December 29, 2020 3:59 PM

There are quite a few straight men enamored of Disney. It is not simply a gay thing at all. In fact it involves a lot of straight couples and families. They love comic. con, Marvel and Star Wars. These last two are now considered Disney. Disney is quite the corporate vacuum cleaner and they must pay off quite a few politicians not to be considered a monopoly. They just bought 20th Century Fox for 71 BILLION dollars and are known for treating their lower level employees like shit. Screaming Bob Iger makes 61 million a year and that's probably not considering bonuses. Everyone knows that he considers Disney his own piggy bank because he has presidential aspirations. Bob Cheapskate is the new CEO and everyone hates him. Not only his employees but Disney Fans. Though stockholders I assume love him. Before covid stocks were at 154 then when the parks closed went down to 88 and now they are at 177.

by Anonymousreply 39December 29, 2020 4:22 PM

Arrested development!

by Anonymousreply 40December 29, 2020 6:42 PM

Is it possible to like something without being obsessed? I’ve been twice to Disney and it was fun. I’d go again.

Get back to your obsession with reality tv, OP. That’s much healthier and more stable!

by Anonymousreply 41December 29, 2020 6:47 PM

They are deeply damaged people!

by Anonymousreply 42December 30, 2020 3:13 AM

IMO, Disney-obsessed adults are boring people. I wouldn't choose to be friends with any adult who jumps on a plane to visit ... Disneyland in a foreign country. Blah.

A college friend is now married to a man who loves Disneyland, collects comic books and action figures.

by Anonymousreply 43December 30, 2020 3:20 AM

My sister's kitchen is Minnie Mouse. Cookie jars, dinner plates, soup bowls, cups - you name it. Her husband bought them a Disney condo and it's the only place they vacation. They have no kids.

by Anonymousreply 44December 30, 2020 3:24 AM

R44 In Orlando?

by Anonymousreply 45December 30, 2020 3:29 AM

I didn’t expect to be moved by this thread, but some of you posting about Disney being an escape from a rough childhood, empathizing with spinster fraus you know who don’t have anything else but Disney, and the autistic guy in R26 have all made me feel some type of way.

by Anonymousreply 46December 30, 2020 3:34 AM

I think a lot has to do with the illusion of safety . In Disney,all is well controlled and safe and sparkling clean. Nothing bad will happen to you there. When I was a kid my parents would take us to Disney World,hand us ticket books,and say "Meet us at the castle at 4 " and off we'd go . You felt completely safe . I think the whole "Disney" concept makes adults still feel that,hence the grown disney freaks.

by Anonymousreply 47December 30, 2020 4:16 AM

The obsession can be creepy but it's harmless. A lot of adults have obsessions. Many adult men are obsessed with sports, video games, comics, RPGs, Star Wars and Marvel/DC movies. Many adult women are obsessed with Disney and Harry Potter. And of course celebrity obsession. It's all just a distraction from the harshness of reality and responsibilities of adulthood. It's only bad when it gets in the way of work and functioning in society.

I don't know many actual children that care about Disney as a brand, they just like cartoons in general and may want to go to Disney World to have fun.

by Anonymousreply 48December 30, 2020 4:35 AM

I like collecting Disney movies on Blu-Ray. Growing up, owning Disney movies on home video was a big deal. I'm sure many people here can remember when movies would "go back into the Disney vault". Nobody could market like Disney could. And, indeed, some of those VHS titles go for crazy amounts these days if unsealed.

I like collecting Disney stuff but I don't think I am obsessed. I went to Disney Paris and while I enjoyed it, I found one day was enough. I can't imagine going three or four times a year. Like r34, it's off-putting with all the fake smiles and people screeching at the top of their lungs trying to convince you are having a good time when there's nothing organic about it.

Still, I enjoy watching a good Disney/Pixar film. I'm more of a fan of classic Disney (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty) and the revival of the late '80s/early '90s (The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin) and I do like some of the less-popular years (The Rescuers, The Great Mouse Detective). I find Disney has become too big. And now with their takeover of 20th Century Fox, it's becoming too much of a monopoly.

by Anonymousreply 49December 30, 2020 4:51 AM

I just want Iger to be ambassador to China. I like the development aspect of the parks. That’s about it.

by Anonymousreply 50December 30, 2020 4:56 AM

I find Disney films to be beautifully animated and have beautiful soundtracks but the characters and plots are very generic and formulaic. There's a lot of emphasis on gags and the annoying morality play aspect ("follow your dream!", "be yourself", "girls can do anything boys can do!", blah blah blah)

I find Pixar has much better storytelling and world-building ("Coco", "A Bugs Life", "Toy Story", "The Incredibles", "Inside Out") and more likable characters.

by Anonymousreply 51December 30, 2020 5:01 AM

I find many of their male characters attractive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52December 30, 2020 5:04 AM

Maybe due to the general dumbing down/infantilization of culture in general? Seems to me that people used to *want* to act mature and sophisticated. Nowadays, regression in tastes, behavior, interests, etc is championed. It's hard to find an old-fashioned cultured queen (under 80) anywhere anymore. To be fair, corporate control of culture *has* ruined everything, and left precious little room for organic, "sincere" culture to grow. Anyone who dares go against the grain of "Clear Channel Top 40" in their unquestioned devotion of Gaga, Beyoncé, Kardashian, etc - is invariably a "gaymer" - who thinks they're edgy for liking the same corporate bullshit as thousands of other "edgy, geeky" gays: Disney, Star Wars, superheroes, Pokemon, video games, RPGs, shitty Joss Whedon TV from the 90s... I mean, Jesus Christ - just look at how lame the leather scene has become. Used to be fucking Tom-of-Finland-style sexy - now it's just fucking nerdy-ass furries and losers into puppy play. And no, I'm not an "elder" for all you "You type old" queens. Mid thirties here. These are my peers I'm railing against. Pisses me off that I'm the only one I ever meet in this town with any TASTE, goddmanit!

by Anonymousreply 53December 30, 2020 5:05 AM

[quote]Karen Carpenter collected Mickey Mouse memorabilia and shot the music video for "Please, Mr. Postman" at Disneyland.

Richard worked at DL as the Main Street Piano player as a teen. Their song Mr. Guder is about his boss who was a stickler for making them play certain songs only.

The idea was most probably Richard's with Karen's enthusiastic agreement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 30, 2020 5:07 AM

R53 I think you also missed the other point that income inequality makes it very hard for people to invest in their creative passions like art, traveling to museums and reading literature. We are expected to work and work and work til we drop. We have no choice but to keep working to maintain some type of comfortable living and not end up homeless. Also young people are pushing themselves through high school and college and working at the same time. Because people are tired and burnt out they don't want to be challenged intellectually and think too hard. That's why TV and pop music exploded in popularity. You could argue this is by design as it makes it hard for the public to be well-informed and be active politically too. Japan is very similar too. If you think The US is infantilized, look at Japan.

by Anonymousreply 55December 30, 2020 5:12 AM

Wow, R55 -many good points there! (R53 here) As for Japan, I've heard a few of the horrors stories - the breakdown in the ability of young people to form relationships with peers (romantic OR platonic) - and those grown men who barricade themselves inside their bedrooms in their parents' homes, afraid to ever face the outside world... Global, unfettered capitalism strikes again.

by Anonymousreply 56December 30, 2020 5:18 AM

People in the past and still today were obsessed with religion, cowboy movies, war paraphernalia, Hollywood idols like Rudolph Valentino, Superman comic books, dolls, romance novels, guns, any hobby really etc. People will always find obsessions. It's a human trait and I bet we all have one ourselves. I think people just like to belittle other people's interests.

As long as people aren't being annoying and trying to force their hobbies onto others (like religion). I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 57December 30, 2020 5:45 AM

My niece married a Disney-obsessed man and took it up, too. They went to Disneyland for their honeymoon.

I don't think he had a horrible childhood. I just judge them and their horrible, juvenile taste.

by Anonymousreply 58December 30, 2020 6:05 AM

[quote] As long as people aren't being annoying and trying to force their hobbies onto others (like religion). I don't care.

Yeah, I can think of worst things/people than these passive, corny Disney people. The world might be a little bit too dark if everyone subscribed to the World According to Datalounge. They add some lite balance.

My niece is one of these folks. She loves Disney, Hello Kitty, anime, BTS, etc. But I do worry about how she will cope in an often-harsh adult working world.

by Anonymousreply 59December 30, 2020 6:28 AM

Disney today has nothing to do with the Disney from my childhood. Old Disney films were old fashioned and idealized periods in our history that some would prefer to forget. However, that's one of the reasons why I enjoy them so much. Today's Disney is woke garbage and I can't understand why anyone who is a fan of the current product would be interested in any of the classics. Even the animated ones would be deemed too problematic.

by Anonymousreply 60December 30, 2020 6:44 AM

R60

Disney movies are formulaic and idealized. I agree that older Disney films had more artistic merit and are visually impressive. But they were always made to make money and appeal to a wide audience. Take away nostalgia and a lot of these films do not stand up outside of the great animation.

by Anonymousreply 61December 30, 2020 6:50 AM

I know people who grew up not watching Disney films. So they never developed any attachment to them and when trying to watch them as adults and did not understand the appeal or obsession at all. I remember reading about an American teacher in Japan who said that while the Disney brand is popular in Japan on merchandise and clothing. Many Japanese students they had have never actually watched a Disney film and the ones who didn't quite understand them due to cultural barriers. Japan has it's own animation industry and Studio Ghibli in fact is the main producer of family-oriented films. I am big fan of Studio Ghibli movies and find them much more well-written and thought-out than most Disney films.

Disney films are very American-centric in their messages and themes which makes them hard to translate especially to East Asian cultures like Japan, Korea and China where the idea of "following your dreams" at the expense of the group is seen as selfish and irresponsible.

So I came to the conclusion, the love for Disney in America comes from many of us being indoctrinated into it as small children. Similar to religion and sports which we all know The US is also extreme about.

by Anonymousreply 62December 30, 2020 7:03 AM

They wouldn't last a minute on DL.

by Anonymousreply 63December 30, 2020 8:35 AM

Who cares if they’re obsessed with Disney? I’d rather deal with an adult obsessed with Disney than a deplorable obsessed with worshiping Trump, guns, conspiracy theories, etc.

Get your priorities in order OP.

by Anonymousreply 64December 30, 2020 9:06 AM

"I follow a bunch of these freaks on a different site. crazy crazy crazy"

So, R25... what's YOUR damage that you spend your precious free time following crazy-ass freaks on your computer for fun?

Anyway, I sort of get Disney freaks, I enjoy a lot of the Disney films and actually pay $6 a month for Disney+ streaming, and I do have a life-long tendency to get all fan-geeky about things I like. Although I sort of get the people who get obsessive about the movies or cartoons, because some of them are genuinely good and they're a nice escape from reality. It's the people who collect mass-market toys I don't get, and the wierdos who obsess over the crowded tasteless money-sucking hell that is Disneyland.

by Anonymousreply 65December 30, 2020 9:33 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 30, 2020 9:49 AM

"It weird bc parentswho are obsessed with disney make very bad mothers/fathers."

Not just Disney wackadoos, but anyone obsessed with recaturing a lost childhood, like Michael Jackson was always saying he was trying to do. I knew a couple of people like that in real life, they'd had awful childhoods where they were abused and stuck with adult responsibilities far too young. They were awful parents, not abusive, but neglectful, self-absorbed, and sticking their kids with adult responsibilities like doing all the housework or raising younger siblings.

by Anonymousreply 67December 30, 2020 10:13 AM

[quote]So they never developed any attachment to them and when trying to watch them as adults and did not understand the appeal or obsession at all.

This describes me to a tee. Similarly with that Labyrinth film that other kids my age watched and when I tried to as an adult thought: "What in hell is this?"

I agree with you on Studio Ghibli, 100%. I never grew up with them, but I have watched a few over the years and I can absolutely see the appeal and that they are superior films. I've just introduced my nephews to My Neighbour Totoro and they love it, and it wasn't a chore to get through for me at all either.

by Anonymousreply 68December 30, 2020 10:48 AM

The evil stepmother wants to be snowwhite in OP pic.

by Anonymousreply 69December 30, 2020 10:48 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 70December 30, 2020 12:09 PM

What R48 said. I’d also add those obsessed with their pets as equally odd and annoying.

by Anonymousreply 71December 30, 2020 12:12 PM

[quote] Disney films are very American-centric in their messages and themes which makes them hard to translate especially to East Asian cultures like Japan, Korea and China where the idea of "following your dreams" at the expense of the group is seen as selfish and irresponsible.

R62, I think a lot of what you said is right, but when it comes to Korea and Japan, DIsney's box office numbers for its newer animated features (Frozen, Zootopia, Frozen II, etc.) are huge. Zootopia was a huge hit in China, so much so that they're adding a Zootopia land to Shanghai Disneyland. I think they're able to contain the "me, me, my dream, I want" messages by contextualizing them as mere fantasy.

What they don't like is movies with conventionally unattractive-looking characters (e.g., Moana, especially with the tattoos, but also with Moana's chunky character design).

Basically, if Disney keeps churning out CG animated princess movies with attractive white and/or Asian characters, and/or with animals, they're going to see huge box office numbers in East Asia.

Not a Disney stan, but I like their parks from design and land development angles. I like seeing which locations they pick (countries), etc.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 30, 2020 1:59 PM

That new Raya movie looks cool, but is every Asian girl going to be a warrior like Mulan moving forward? Can't have an actual ladylike princess like Cinderella?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 30, 2020 2:45 PM

R73, no - because nerd shit (superheroes, video games, anime) have taken over.

by Anonymousreply 74December 30, 2020 6:43 PM

R8 That makes a lot of sense.

by Anonymousreply 75December 30, 2020 6:47 PM

It's funny because the earliest Cinderella story comes from China

Anyway the main reason Disney dropped the whole fairytale princess thing is because they want to maximize their profits and appeal to boys just as much as girls. But contrary to popular belief, many girls do like action and adventure, I grew up with many girls who played video games and sports. So that whole "every girl wants to be a princess" thing is just marketing nonsense to pressure little girls to pressure their parents to buy them pointless crap. It was pretty much training girls to be materialistic and vain.

by Anonymousreply 76December 30, 2020 7:05 PM

And to add to this. I thought Moana was extremely refreshing. It was just an adventure tale with a female protagonist. Nobody made a big deal about her being a girl, there was no forced romance and she also said with an emphasis that she's not a princess but the future island chief. It reminded me of Lilo & Stitch which similarly had a girl protagonist who was well-rounded and adventurous and not very feminine and it wasn't made into a big deal. It seems Disney started taking notes from Hayao Miyazaki and Don Bluth on how to write "protagonists that just happen to be female" rather than writing "female protagonists".

by Anonymousreply 77December 30, 2020 7:11 PM

Their damage is probably abuse during childhood.

by Anonymousreply 78December 30, 2020 7:16 PM

R77, I am not a fan of Disney at all, but I saw Moana because my nephews love it, and it's actually really enjoyable, and I agree with you.

by Anonymousreply 79December 30, 2020 7:27 PM

Trauma bonding. Classic Disney films especially are notorious for including scenes that play on childhood terrors, especially losing a parent. I'm glad I was never taken to Disney parks as a child--I would have been scared out of my mind, especially by all the skeletons.

by Anonymousreply 80December 30, 2020 7:28 PM

They're either pedophiles or molestees.

If someone says they are a "Disney gay" run for the hills, you are dealing with someone who is emotionally and intellectually retarded.

by Anonymousreply 81December 30, 2020 7:47 PM

This is why.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 30, 2020 9:46 PM

"So that whole "every girl wants to be a princess" thing is just marketing nonsense to pressure little girls to pressure their parents to buy them pointless crap. It was pretty much training girls to be materialistic and vain."

I don't think there's so much an intent to pressure girls into being princessy, as an attempt to take advantage of the girly spoiled girls who get into the "Daddy buy me that" game at an early age. They little pink-ruffled pests may not be quite the cold mine that comic-book nerds who spend all their disposable income on "collectors edition action figures" are, but they're so numerous that Disney isn't going to look away from a good exploitable market.

This is the company that bought "Star Wars" mostly for the merchandising rights, after all, and which is probably ofsetting the production costs of "The Mandalorian" just by selling Baby Yoda toys.

by Anonymousreply 83December 30, 2020 10:57 PM

In a world where all the women are fairytale princesses and all the men are comic book nerds, there is one mouse that will stop at nothing to profit off of them. Timothée Chalamet is.....Mickey. Spring 2022. #mickeythemovie #disneyplus

by Anonymousreply 84December 30, 2020 11:08 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85December 30, 2020 11:09 PM

I think we should rename Disney World and Superspreader World. And deny healthcare to anyone who enters and gets sick afterwards, as they have proven they are too fucking stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 86December 30, 2020 11:45 PM

That's the one thing about Disney Mania I don't get, and I admit to liking a lot of their films.

What the FUCKING FUCK is the appeal of a hot, overcrowded, cement-paved massive tourist trap, where everything visible is the most blatant price gouge concievable? How could anyone possibly enjoy the experience? Do the Disneyland freaks fill their forums with endless complaints about the millions of mundanes who ruin their experiences by being in the way and not really getting it?

by Anonymousreply 87December 30, 2020 11:48 PM

R86 and also circuit parties

by Anonymousreply 88December 31, 2020 12:29 AM

One problem with Disney is that you can’t just book a vacation there and go. You have to make dinner reservations months in advance and same with fast passes for rides. The prices are insane and the food is bad except for the high end restaurants , but it’s kept incredibly clean and the landscaping is beautiful. We went there then to bush gardens and bush gardens was disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 89December 31, 2020 4:14 AM

I went a few years back solely because my friend who I went to the US with wanted to go there, so I got her tickets for her birthday. I think we were very lucky in that it was drizzling during the day so a lot of people stayed away. We walked on to every ride pretty much straight away, at the most a 5 minute wait. I imagine it doesn't happen like that much and I would hate to be there when it was busy. The lack of food available was the thing that stressed me out most, I get pretty hangry and nothing but junk food wasn't really doing it for me. The healthiest thing I ate all day was a pickle. It was nice to see the joy in my friend's eyes though, and I kept it happy for her sake. But I won't ever go again, it doesn't seem that enjoyable to be honest.

We did have hysterics on the It's a Small World ride though. Those fucking dolls!

by Anonymousreply 90December 31, 2020 4:27 AM

Florida parks look pretty busy. Wow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91January 4, 2021 7:01 PM

What about the Disney Princess sub-obsession in grown women? Very disturbing. Clearly arrested development prob due to early sexualization/abuse.

by Anonymousreply 92January 4, 2021 7:11 PM

Mormons, OP.

Lots of Mormons go to Disneyland after their wedding.

Many of them are not allowed to watch (well, discouraged from watching) any grown-up tragedies and dramas - Disney is their safest bet.

by Anonymousreply 93January 4, 2021 7:48 PM

There is a lot of internalized homophobia in this thread. In fact, a lot of you sound exactly like my disgusting father. Growing up, he saw my interest in Disney as feminine or "sissy" and as a result we did not get to visit the parks very often, especially in my teen years, the 1990s. This still causes me a lot of pain to this day, as it means there were many of Walt's classic attractions that were changed or removed before I got to spend much time with them.

When I finally met my Prince Charming, we agreed from the BEGINNING is that we would put Disney first in our relationship, and that we would never let homophobic people torment or taunt us for doing "silly" Disney things . For the most part, this has made for a happy relationship, though we have had recently had some conflict. I am hoping that after all this is over, we can work out our differences and live happily ever after again.

by Anonymousreply 94January 4, 2021 8:44 PM

[quote] When I finally met my Prince Charming, we agreed from the BEGINNING is that we would put Disney first in our relationship

You're kidding, right? Trolling?

by Anonymousreply 95January 4, 2021 8:57 PM

No, I am not kidding r95. In fact I find that very hurtful to suggest. It is one thing to not want magic in your own life but I do NOT understand why people like you want to take it away from others.

by Anonymousreply 96January 4, 2021 9:07 PM

Food is bad there., even at the restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 97January 4, 2021 9:12 PM

One of my best friends has a huge Disney fixation. I like to think Disney is the bandaid for poorly raised children. Sexual abuse survivors.

by Anonymousreply 98January 4, 2021 9:23 PM

What's good on Disney+ lately? I'm thinking of getting it.

by Anonymousreply 99January 6, 2021 4:37 PM

I went there as a kid a few times, disneyworld. Very fun at that age. Haven't been back since.

by Anonymousreply 100January 6, 2021 5:29 PM

R94, I think it's lovely that you two found each other! I'm genuinely, sincerely, happy for the two of you, and your shared interests!

I'm also genuinely happy that neither of you is trying to drag a normal person to Disneyland for every weekend or vacation. it's a win-win for everyone!

by Anonymousreply 101January 6, 2021 7:48 PM

I object to queens in their fifties singing songs from recent Disney films. Younger queens haven’t developed any taste yet, so can be forgiven. The songs are shit though.

by Anonymousreply 102January 6, 2021 7:54 PM

Thank you r101. It means a lot to hear that even from someone I don't know. Things have not been so good between us lately, because of a disagreement about how to center Disney in our relationship, but I am still hopeful that it will be okay soon.

by Anonymousreply 103January 7, 2021 8:06 PM

R103, do you think Disney will ever build a smaller resort in Texas? Like one with Disney's America, a waterpark, and hotels?

by Anonymousreply 104January 7, 2021 8:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 7, 2021 8:27 PM

Statement from the CEO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 106January 8, 2021 2:39 AM

No more annual pass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107January 15, 2021 3:36 PM

[quote]Haven’t heard much about Disney-obsessed adults

How is this possible? It's been a phenomenon at least since the Disney Store was a booming business.

by Anonymousreply 108January 15, 2021 4:03 PM

I repeat being obsessed with Disney has nothing to do with being gay. Lots and lots of straight men who are married with kids love vacationing repeatedly at WDW which is why the vacation club is so successful. Also at the best restaurants the food is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 109January 15, 2021 4:36 PM

The vacation club seems incredibly expensive. And you don't own anything permanent, right? You don't own any actual real property when you join. I think.

by Anonymousreply 110January 15, 2021 4:47 PM

Being obsessed with Disney has nothing to do with being gay and everything to do with arrested development and the need for a false sense of safety. It's the vacation version of baby tastes.

by Anonymousreply 111January 15, 2021 4:51 PM

Raya looks fun. Better than Soul, I hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112January 21, 2021 3:04 PM

Adding Biden to the Hall of Presidents! Keeping Cheeto there, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113January 21, 2021 3:13 PM

Eliminate the Hall of Presidents - Editorial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114January 21, 2021 3:13 PM

Universal Beijing is making a lot of progress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115January 24, 2021 3:58 AM

They are mormons.

by Anonymousreply 116January 24, 2021 4:03 AM

It can be sexy sometimes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117January 24, 2021 4:05 AM

Jungle Cruise revamp.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 25, 2021 11:16 PM

I never got the appeal. As a 5 year-old my folks took me and on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, I cried. Oddly, I loved Pere Lachaise and going through my mom's art history books. Henry VIII and Bosch scared me, Italian painters made me calm. By 7, I was watching MTV, foreign films my mom would rent and I never enjoyed the company of other kids.

by Anonymousreply 119January 25, 2021 11:31 PM

Disney serves as a “binky” (pacifier) for extremely damaged, insecure gay men with Peter Pan complexes. It’s quite pathetic and so cringe. I know (acquaintances) two male couples that are Disney freaks. They’re in their 40s. Can you imagine actually choosing to take an actual vacation to fucking DISNEYWORLD, instead of going to somewhere meaningful like Europe, Asia, or even Mexico? These are sad and pathetic humans.

by Anonymousreply 120January 26, 2021 12:25 AM

My friends parents were going through a messy divorce. They were assholes and they gifted him with a Club 33 membership at Disneyland. It's 50K initiation and 15K a year in dues. He and his now husband use it constantly. They go to dinner at the club, watch the parade, got married there. It was fun to go with them once. I personally don't get the obsession. I drowned out my bad childhood with guys, drugs, and dancing - the healthy way!

by Anonymousreply 121January 26, 2021 2:54 AM

Just out. Longer trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 26, 2021 9:39 PM

There's already BIPOC anger about Raya b/c most of its voice actors are East Asian, not Southeast Asian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123January 27, 2021 3:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124January 28, 2021 2:05 PM

Ugh, NPR leads with a Gay Disney Adults photo of a lawyer and his boyfriend as Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee, forget “This is Why They Hate Us!” This is Why I Hate Us! And I’d completely fire this guy as my lawyer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125June 11, 2022 1:36 PM

I enjoy the movies though cliched and Disney World is fun and all. But the obsession seems for traumatized adults or pedophiles like MJ. The apologists are tiring, Disney is a greedy corporation buying up every damned thing and streamlining it. Owning 33% of American media is fucked up to me because it could seriously damage freedom of press. Walt Disney's goals seemed completely different from corporate post-70s Disney's goals.

by Anonymousreply 126June 11, 2022 1:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!