Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The night the lights went out in Monticello

December 28, 1984.

But it was dusk, after all. That period late in the evening when one reaches....the edge of night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226January 25, 2021 1:57 AM

I agreed to marry Del Emerson. But only after he signed a pre-nup

by Anonymousreply 1December 29, 2020 2:17 AM

I was dead, killed by poisoned makeup.

by Anonymousreply 2December 29, 2020 2:21 AM

I used to watch this. It was gloriously trashy.

by Anonymousreply 3December 29, 2020 2:24 AM

I was fucking fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 29, 2020 2:28 AM

A good part of that last cast is now dead.

and not necessarily just from old age.

by Anonymousreply 5December 29, 2020 3:05 AM

Large number of gay men in the cast. At least three died from AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 6December 29, 2020 4:00 AM

Wish they would rerun this somewhere. I've never seen it :(

by Anonymousreply 7December 29, 2020 4:05 AM

Serial asshole nutjob scholar is a god damned mess!

by Anonymousreply 8December 29, 2020 4:25 AM

"The Edge of Night" started off as a sort of daytime version of "Perry Mason," with an emphasis on mystery and crime. Mason creator Erle Stanley Gardner was hired to oversee the series but had a falling out with CBS. The character of Mike Karr was originally played by John Larkin, who had played Perry Mason on radio. "The Edge of Night" and "As the World Turns" were the first 30-minute soaps and debuted the same day in 1956. (Soaps were previously only 15 minutes long.) The show's title came from its late-afternoon time slot and its darker themes.

by Anonymousreply 9December 29, 2020 4:32 AM

Adam and Nicole were one of the first pairings that I was really rooting for. I guess you could say they were the show's super couple, but that was before the term super couple had been coined.

by Anonymousreply 10December 29, 2020 5:04 AM

Geraldine was a big ole lezzy.

by Anonymousreply 11December 29, 2020 5:06 AM

I loved the creepy choral intro and jazzy 80s outro. Saxy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 29, 2020 5:13 AM

The Stephanie Martin murder mystery was my all-time favorite storyline. This was the plot that introduced Nicole to Monticello.

by Anonymousreply 13December 29, 2020 5:23 AM

[quote]I was dead, killed by poisoned makeup.—Nicole Travis Drake Cavanaugh

But by that time you had been recast twice, so nobody really cared anymore.

by Anonymousreply 14December 29, 2020 5:43 AM

It was never the same after they dropped the "the".

by Anonymousreply 15December 29, 2020 5:46 AM

"Guiding Light" also dropped the "The" at some point.

by Anonymousreply 16December 29, 2020 5:50 AM

Vee from the SON board is the expert on everything. He made the decision to drop THE.

by Anonymousreply 17December 29, 2020 5:54 AM

It was the last soap to be telecast live. Except for holidays, the show was still being performed on the air until it moved from CBS to ABC and was thereafter taped a couple of weeks in advance.

by Anonymousreply 18December 29, 2020 6:31 AM

R13: If only there were clips. I've always heard it was a great storyline.

by Anonymousreply 19December 29, 2020 6:52 AM

The original Whitney family saga in 1970-71 was spellbinding. It introduced Senator Gordon Whitney and his wife Geraldine and two sons Colin and Keith.

Colin was the good seed, while Keith was the bad. However, you never knew exactly how bad he was. He went under the alias of Jonah Lockwood and was a serial killer. He long hair and a beard and bore striking resemblance to Charles Manson. He was scary! Only Geraldine knew that Keith was really Jonah and had killed these women and she tried to cover it up.

Adam Drake was investigating the murders unaware that it was connected to the Whitney family. Meanwhile Jonah Lockwood was engaged to Laurie Ann Karr, daughter of the show's hero Mike Karr.

Eventually Adam figured everything out, but not before Laurie Ann was almost killed.

by Anonymousreply 20December 29, 2020 7:23 AM

I should add that Edge of Night was #2 in the ratings in the 1970-71 season due to the Whitney family saga, behind As the World Turns. Edge had a 10.1 rating that season.

#3 was Guiding Light

#4 was a tie between Another World, Days of Our Lives and General Hospital

by Anonymousreply 21December 29, 2020 7:39 AM

Shit up Serial Mental Case.

by Anonymousreply 22December 29, 2020 1:00 PM

The night the lights went out in Texas, also this week.

To Texas!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 29, 2020 1:29 PM

R12 I loved that theme song.

EON is the one soap I could see being rebooted with little or no change to structure, either as a daytime or nighttime property.

by Anonymousreply 24December 29, 2020 1:29 PM

The last episode was so creepy!

All of the dead villains resurrected on that Mad Hatter's Street or whatever...

BTW, I always loved the name "Draper."

by Anonymousreply 25December 29, 2020 1:32 PM

I loved The Edge, but one of the things I found so funny was that after Maeve McGuire left the show they recast with an actress at least 20 years younger, and sort of rebooted the character. I thought that was an interesting choice.

by Anonymousreply 26December 29, 2020 1:44 PM

r26, It's known as de-SORASing when you cast a noticeably younger actor than the person they are replacing.

As r14 said, by the time they killed off Nicole, no one cared about the character anymore. Maeve McGuire was perfection in the role and the two subsequent, younger actresses didn't hold a candle to her, so the death wasn't a great loss for the show.

by Anonymousreply 27December 29, 2020 6:15 PM

A few characters have survived a very elastic aging process.

Tom Hughes, Ed and Rick Bauer and, perhaps most famously, Mike Horton.

Mike in particular was SORASed and then deSORASed.

But to have an actress 20 years younger replace someone without a long break in between? A recipe for disaster.

by Anonymousreply 28December 29, 2020 6:24 PM

God he was so good looking when he was younger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 29, 2020 6:40 PM

Wasn’t Cruthers only 44 when he died of the aids? He looked 64!

by Anonymousreply 30December 29, 2020 7:03 PM

Who can forget Dennis Parker aka Wade Nichols?

I can't decide if this is my favorite version of Like an Eagle....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 29, 2020 8:55 PM

Or this one.

Which is over the top but also kinda gets you in the feels if you watch/listen long enough!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 29, 2020 8:56 PM

The commercials are a hoot, and the final episode really is awesome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 29, 2020 10:23 PM

Veleka Gray had a HOT & HEAVY romance with Joel Crothers off-screen

by Anonymousreply 34December 29, 2020 10:24 PM

They really paved the way by having a storyline on ISLAM

DECADES before people knew what the religion ISLAM was all about.

by Anonymousreply 35December 29, 2020 10:26 PM

R34 🤣 sure Jan.

by Anonymousreply 36December 29, 2020 10:50 PM

I love the original theme, "Warmly."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 29, 2020 10:55 PM

My favorite theme, with a bonus extra of Miss Geraldine giving bitches the EYE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38December 29, 2020 11:57 PM

I watched this after school when in high school, but went to college fall of 1983 and never saw it again and only now know it died because I stopped watching apparently? Wasn’t the female chimpanzee from Planet of the Apes in this?

by Anonymousreply 39December 30, 2020 12:10 AM

R39 Chimpanzee?

You may be thinking of Ryan's Hope.

by Anonymousreply 40December 30, 2020 12:16 AM

Time for a reboot with Lori Loughlin and Marcia Cross.

by Anonymousreply 41December 30, 2020 12:18 AM

[quote]Wasn’t the female chimpanzee from Planet of the Apes in this?

R39 is correct, R40. Kim Hunter, who played Zira in "Planet of the Apes," played Nola Madison on "The Edge of Night" and was nominated for a daytime Emmy for the role. Kim Hunter is perhaps best remembered as Stella in the Broadway and movie versions of "A Streetcar Named Desire,"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42December 30, 2020 12:26 AM

R42 Thanks, the name Kim Stanley kept going through my mind, now that makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 43December 30, 2020 12:34 AM

The Nola Madison storyline was one of my favorites. She ended up killing Margo and everyone thought Draper did it, which lead to my next favorite storyline. Draper, is a train crash and loses his memory and meets Emily Michaels and the Molly Sherwood down on the farm. This is was the time period when Raven was still a fun scamp who was fucking Elliot Dorn. She was using her baby Jamie as leverage to get cash.

They cleaned up Raven and put her with Sky and those two kind of ate the show until Jody and Preacher ate the show even more and by then it was cancelled.

I think I read that ABC didn't really want to cancel the show.

by Anonymousreply 44December 30, 2020 12:37 AM

Lois Kibbee was such a dyke!

by Anonymousreply 45December 30, 2020 1:03 AM

anyway......

by Anonymousreply 46December 30, 2020 3:25 AM

R37 That is pretty. Before my time, but I can practically picture getting home from school in the middle of winter in a Northeastern or perhaps Midwestern/Rust Belt city and it being dark already by 4:30 as this played.

by Anonymousreply 47December 30, 2020 3:46 AM

ABC was happy to continue airing Edge of Night. In many markets where it aired at 4 p.m., where ABC scheduled it, Edge got good ratings. In fact, it was the second highest rated show in NYC in the 4 p.m. time slot in 1984.

Problem was, many stations aired it in a different time slot, either the next morning or in the middle of the night. Because of that, ratings were low. And as the ratings sunk, more and more stations quit carrying it altogether.

Proctor and Gamble, which owned Edge, did not like the low ratings. Rather than learn to live with the low ratings as ABC had decided to do, P&G opted to cancel Edge.

by Anonymousreply 48December 30, 2020 5:54 AM

[quote]I watched this after school when in high school, but went to college fall of 1983 and never saw it again and only now know it died because I stopped watching apparently?

Yes, it's all your fault, r39. Thanks a lot!

by Anonymousreply 49December 30, 2020 5:56 AM

R29: On "Dark Shadows", he showed a fine set of cheekbones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 30, 2020 6:22 AM

Mark Arnold was hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51December 30, 2020 6:25 AM

Mark Arnold looked like he'd have a hairy ass and hairy everything! Hot to death!

by Anonymousreply 52December 30, 2020 2:51 PM

Never forget.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 30, 2020 3:49 PM

I remember this, it was on when I got home from school. My mom made fun of the characters’ names.

by Anonymousreply 54December 30, 2020 4:07 PM

[quote]Raven Alexander Jamison Swift Whitney Devereux Whitney

Raven, shouldn't that first "Whitney" really be "Brown"?

by Anonymousreply 55December 30, 2020 4:09 PM

Mark Arnold needed to manscape that unibrow.

by Anonymousreply 56December 30, 2020 4:12 PM

It is a shame the way they cleaned up Raven. Truly one of the most interesting characters on soaps. And the way Geraldine used to despise her was great. TV Executives should be burning in hell for wiping those tapes. I would love to see the original Whitney story.

by Anonymousreply 57December 30, 2020 4:16 PM

Joel Crothers & Veleka Gray at the height of their hot & heavy romance

Wonder if Veleka still has the engagement ring, or did she return it when they broke up after their long, steamy, torrid relationship

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 30, 2020 4:21 PM

Veleka Gray gave interview as recently as last August 2020 where she talks about her TORRID affair with Joel Crothers

Joel and I started dating and our friendship began to develop into a romance. I left New York and went out to Los Angeles to work on The Young And the Restless and not long after, Joel came out to work on Santa Barbara. Our relationship got serious then until after we were engaged to be married. Then, he suddenly disappeared for a month and I couldn't find him and was finally told that he was in the hospital with lymphoma. It was a very heartbreaking and excruciatingly painful time because we had made plans to have a child and I knew then that it would never happen.

by Anonymousreply 59December 30, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]It was a very heartbreaking and excruciatingly painful time because we had made plans to have a child and I knew then that it would never happen.

Veleka finally got a clue.

by Anonymousreply 60December 30, 2020 4:28 PM

Veleka is still playing the game.

by Anonymousreply 61December 30, 2020 4:42 PM

[quote] Veleka is still playing the game.

What game?

by Anonymousreply 62December 30, 2020 4:51 PM

Thirty-five years after Joel Crothers' death from AIDS, Veleka is still trying to convince fans that he was straight.

by Anonymousreply 63December 30, 2020 4:53 PM

What does the edge of night mean, anyway?

Is it a sad queen rubbing his dick in the evening until he almost cums but then easing back, over snd over again, so he may turn his back on the howling void that is his existence?

Or something else? I’m inclined to go with A).

by Anonymousreply 64December 30, 2020 4:56 PM

[quote]What game?

The closet game.

Have you ever listened to an interview with Kaye Ballard? (Probably the gayest thing I've written all day). She plays it incredibly well, even when the majority of the people she's asked about are dead.

[quote]What does the edge of night mean, anyway?

The show was envisioned to be a daytime version of Perry Mason. So the title was probably a nod to the very film noir/darker elements of the show. It focused on murders and trials, the mob, and shady characters, more than romance. The show's leading female character got run over by a car early in the series.

by Anonymousreply 65December 30, 2020 5:09 PM

In addition to what R65 said, the title "The Edge of Night" also referred to the show's 4 p.m. time slot.

by Anonymousreply 66December 30, 2020 5:18 PM

Actors are trained well not to out fellow actors.

In her book, Kim Zimmer claimed that Chris Bernau (original Alan Spaulding on GL) died of a tropical disease. The man died of AIDS and she knew it, just like all the rest of the cast did.

by Anonymousreply 67December 30, 2020 8:12 PM

[quote] Actors are trained well not to out fellow actors.

True, but it was Veleka who brought up her torrid affair with Joel Crothers. The interviewer only asked

"Is this where you met your great friend, late Joel Crothers"

and it was Veleka who felt the need to blab about her romance with Crothers who even said

"I was so in love with Joel and I didn't know if I'd ever see him again"

you can read the entire Aug 2020 interview at link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68December 30, 2020 8:23 PM

Joel fucked Veleka like the pussy hound he was! Absolutely!!!

by Anonymousreply 69December 30, 2020 8:32 PM

Fuck you Serial Monticello who still wants ME! Asshole psycho. Fuck off!

by Anonymousreply 70December 30, 2020 8:34 PM

Bad video. Adequate audio. Superb acting.

Louise Shaffer as Serena/Josie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71December 30, 2020 9:28 PM

Oh please, Joel Crothers was not gay. He had great sexual chemistry with most of his female co-stars.

by Anonymousreply 72December 30, 2020 9:40 PM

The Edge of Night was a rarity in soap operas in that until it moved to ABC, it was the only one produced on the UES in Manhattan. (After 1963 all the New York based soaps came from the west side of Manhattan, except for Another World and Texas which were done in Brooklyn.) For the first four years it used the studios of what is now the local Fox TV station on East 67th Street and then moved to the former Monroe Theater on East 76th Street and First Avenue until 1975.

by Anonymousreply 73December 30, 2020 10:20 PM

The actress shown in the preview in R68 's post isn't Veleka Gray. It's Jeanne Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 74December 30, 2020 10:22 PM

I love the name Veleka. She did all the classic soaps and was even one of the Laura's on Splendored Thing.

by Anonymousreply 75December 30, 2020 10:26 PM

She had a boyish look to her on Love of Life. Was that Joel's type?

by Anonymousreply 76December 30, 2020 10:35 PM

[quote]R41 Time for a reboot with... Marcia Cross.

Liz Cornell, I believe she called herself?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 30, 2020 10:37 PM

Joel did generate chemistry with his leading ladies. Chris Bernau on the other hand... oy vey. Check him out on Dark Shadows. I was like gurllllll!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 78December 30, 2020 10:38 PM

Face it - Sparks flew on and off screen when Joel Crothers & Veleka Gray got together

Veleka herself confirms it

by Anonymousreply 79December 30, 2020 10:49 PM

Chris Bernau poor thing tried his best, but the women they paired him with came off more like fag hags, such as Sofia Land on (Diane) on GL.

by Anonymousreply 80December 30, 2020 10:51 PM

That bit in Kim's book about Chris was very weird.

We really DO all know he died of AIDS. But for the purposes of a book, I assume Kim was told not to say that unless she had proof. It's something she could have been sued for (though by whom, I have no idea).

by Anonymousreply 81December 30, 2020 11:32 PM

Joel was Gaye Gayerson.

by Anonymousreply 82December 30, 2020 11:33 PM

I remember an interview with Michelle Forbes, who said she thought he had Lyme disease.

by Anonymousreply 83December 30, 2020 11:36 PM

You can get your Veleka fix here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 30, 2020 11:42 PM

Veleka Gray must have had a penis.

by Anonymousreply 85December 30, 2020 11:46 PM

Veleka was all woman. Joel was all man. You do the math. They were obviously very much in love. Cancer's a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 86December 30, 2020 11:53 PM

*pffft*

by Anonymousreply 87December 30, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote]Oh please, Joel Crothers was not gay. He had great sexual chemistry with most of his female co-stars.

Welcome to Data Lounge, Veleka!

by Anonymousreply 88December 31, 2020 12:35 AM

[quote] It's something she could have been sued for (though by whom, I have no idea).

Though Chris had no children, he still family who control the estate, The estate could easily sue

by Anonymousreply 89December 31, 2020 12:44 AM

[quote] Chris had no children

If only he'd have been with a real dame like me, he might have!

by Anonymousreply 90December 31, 2020 2:30 AM

Joel and Jayne Bentzen were terrific together. The sexual chemistry was palpable. One could easily have thought they were husband and wife IRL like James Garner and Mariette Hartley.

by Anonymousreply 91December 31, 2020 3:15 AM

Joel ate Velekas’s pussy

by Anonymousreply 92December 31, 2020 3:43 AM

I’m Serial Nutjob. Asshole. You love ME!

by Anonymousreply 93December 31, 2020 3:46 AM

Mandel Kramer was a hot daddy.

by Anonymousreply 94December 31, 2020 4:01 AM

On Dec. 1, 1975 when Edge moved from CBS to ABC, the soap's first broadcast on ABC was a 90 minute episode to introduce new viewers to the show and launch new storylines. Then ABC rebroadcast the episode that night at 11:30 p.m. That second airing got decent ratings.

There was talk about ABC rebroadcasting the day's episode in late night regularly, perhaps at 11:30 p.m. or 12 midnight. Unfortunately, the cast and the network never could agree on what kind of residuals they should receive for this second airing, so the late night airing never happened, save for that first ABC 90 minute episode.

by Anonymousreply 95December 31, 2020 6:32 AM

I loved Edge until it became the Sky and Raven show.

by Anonymousreply 96December 31, 2020 1:06 PM

I didn't see much of it but I did love the story with Denise Cavanaugh (DL fave Holland Taylor) plotting to kill herself and frame her husband (Joel Crothers) for it.

by Anonymousreply 97December 31, 2020 1:12 PM

Holland Taylor is a big lez and Joel was a homo. No chemistry there.

by Anonymousreply 98December 31, 2020 1:54 PM

What is he waiting to be picked up?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 31, 2020 2:18 PM

Was not Maurice Benard (aka Sonny Corinthos from General Hospital) also on this show at the same time as Lori Loughton?

by Anonymousreply 100December 31, 2020 2:27 PM

R100 No. He was briefly on AMC as Nico a few years before he became a permanent smear on GH

by Anonymousreply 101December 31, 2020 2:42 PM

Was Mark Arnold of the homosex orientation? He made me feel all funny when I was a gayling but i didn't understand why.

by Anonymousreply 102December 31, 2020 2:45 PM

Still one of the handsomest men on soaps - and one of Anna Banana's first onscreen partners.

(Sadly also died as Joel and Chris Bernau did....)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 31, 2020 2:52 PM

so much paperwork to catch up on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104December 31, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote] Was Mark Arnold of the homosex orientation?

Apparently not. But, he definitely gave off the vibe over the airwaves.

by Anonymousreply 105December 31, 2020 2:57 PM

Oh god. Is that nut Tim here that always calls cunty Anna Stuart Anna Banana? He’s annoying.

by Anonymousreply 106December 31, 2020 2:59 PM

Anna Stuart said that Liz Hubbard built an entire soap career around the ability to read off the teleprompter.

by Anonymousreply 107December 31, 2020 3:01 PM

Winter Austin is my all-time favorite soap name.

by Anonymousreply 108December 31, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote] Anna Stuart said that Liz Hubbard built an entire soap career around the ability to read off the teleprompter.

LOL. I love it. Anna Stuart doesn't usually make bitchy remarks about the people she's worked with.

by Anonymousreply 109December 31, 2020 3:08 PM

[quote](Sadly also died as Joel and Chris Bernau did....)

Of a tropical disease?

by Anonymousreply 110December 31, 2020 3:43 PM

Calvin Stoner had the aids.

by Anonymousreply 111December 31, 2020 3:46 PM

Yes, R110. To paraphrase the old joke, it was very difficult for them to admit to their families that they were Haitian.

by Anonymousreply 112December 31, 2020 3:49 PM

The Edge of Night had the best character names. Henry Slesar knew how to name a character. I'm not sure which show has more gay behind the scenes Edge or Dark Shadows.

by Anonymousreply 113December 31, 2020 3:53 PM

[quote]I'm not sure which show has more gay behind the scenes Edge or Dark Shadows.

And Joel Crothers was in both.

by Anonymousreply 114December 31, 2020 4:13 PM

Hubbard must have been quite addicted to cue cards in the beginning.

Later at ATWT she ad libbed. She was more interested in getting the feel of a scene or the characters thoughts/actions right than a precise line. Cue cards/ad lib being sort of two sides of that same coin, as it were.

by Anonymousreply 115December 31, 2020 4:16 PM

I like Hubbard and there is no denying that she has talent, but what she was doing on ATWT was disrespectful. Tony Geary did that stuff to. It's hard for fellow actors to stay on track and not miss their cues if their scenes partners are changing words.

by Anonymousreply 116December 31, 2020 4:20 PM

[quote] Tony Geary did that stuff to

He did it....to whom?

by Anonymousreply 117December 31, 2020 4:31 PM

That should have been too not to

by Anonymousreply 118December 31, 2020 4:33 PM

Veleka and Joel must of STEAMED up the sheets off-camera with their TORRID affair

by Anonymousreply 119December 31, 2020 4:45 PM

[quote] must of STEAMED up the sheets

Must HAVE steamed up the sheets.

Do I have to buy an English textbook and a dictionary for EVERYONE on this thread this morning?

by Anonymousreply 120December 31, 2020 5:19 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121December 31, 2020 5:24 PM

Hmm, I didn't remember that Rusty Shayne was also on Another World for a while.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122December 31, 2020 6:10 PM

Joel Crothers was in the 1981-82 off-Broadway run of Torch Song Trilogy. In fact, he was the biggest name in the cast at that point. No one had ever heard of Harvey Fierstein, Matthew Broderick or Estelle Getty.

In fact, when it first opened off Broadway, the posters for the play had Joel's bigger than the rest since he was the only name they had.

Joel dropped out of the cast when it transferred to Broadway in June 1982.

Not sure why Joel; dropped out when it moved to Broadway, but it probably wouldn't look too good to middle American for the leading man of a daytime soap to be portraying a homosexual on Broadway. It was 1982 after all. Housewives need to believe the leading men they are lusting over are straight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123December 31, 2020 9:01 PM

Joel was such a pussyhound, as Veleka can attest!

by Anonymousreply 124January 1, 2021 12:29 AM

Joel really aged in the barely 10 years between Dark Shadows and Edge. He was so boyishly handsome on Shadows, but looked like a used up porn whore with that porn stache by the time he arrived at Edge. How did he age so much?

by Anonymousreply 125January 1, 2021 12:37 AM

Veleka sex life with Joel must have been smoking hot, with all the sparks between them.

by Anonymousreply 126January 1, 2021 12:40 AM

Not sure about sparks between Joel and Veleka, but there was no shortage of flames when Joel was in a room.

by Anonymousreply 127January 1, 2021 1:01 AM

Gunther was a wee part of my "awakening"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128January 1, 2021 1:40 AM

I had a crush on the actor who played Cliff Nelson. Very handsome guy.

by Anonymousreply 129January 1, 2021 2:49 AM

I’d guess that Joel ate out Veleka’s pussy at least 2 times a day. Maybe 3.

by Anonymousreply 130January 1, 2021 2:51 AM

The Joel-Veleka posts are played out. Find a new topic, hon.

by Anonymousreply 131January 1, 2021 3:46 AM

I thought so, too, R129. Very cute guy next door. Interestingly, both Ernest Townsend/Pysher (who played Cliff) and Sandy Faison (who played Beth Corell) ended up as high school teachers and assistant principals.

Blooper reel at link, for those who might be interested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 1, 2021 8:13 AM

[quote]Ernest Townsend/Pysher

Why did he change his name from Townsend to Physher?

Anyway, here's a tribute he wrote about co-star Dennis Parker (Chief Derek Mallory) . . .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133January 1, 2021 2:40 PM

"Dennis never apologized for his private or professional life."

A very bold way at the time to acknwoledge that he was gay, and had done porn.

by Anonymousreply 134January 1, 2021 2:50 PM

I want videos of Joel eating out Veleka! Joel was such a pussy hound!

by Anonymousreply 135January 1, 2021 6:21 PM

anyway

by Anonymousreply 136January 1, 2021 6:45 PM

Was our dear Lois Kibbee a lesbian? She never married.........hmmmmmm

by Anonymousreply 137January 2, 2021 1:29 AM

anyway

by Anonymousreply 138January 2, 2021 3:22 AM

When Ashley is carried through the doorway.....and reaches out for her son

MARY!

MARY!

MARY!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139January 2, 2021 3:24 AM

There MUST be videos out there of Holland and Lois chowing down on each others snatch.

by Anonymousreply 140January 2, 2021 3:25 AM

You can have them, R140.

by Anonymousreply 141January 2, 2021 3:29 AM

Ignore the demented bodily function troll.

by Anonymousreply 142January 2, 2021 3:34 AM

Dude, give it a rest. This is the same person who has some beef with Chandler Massey and people over at some Soap Opera Message Board, and now he's on this thread. I love how those people come over here so they can be anonymous and crazy, but toe the line over on those soap boards for fear of being banned.

by Anonymousreply 143January 2, 2021 3:35 AM

Vee is in the biz , you know.

by Anonymousreply 144January 2, 2021 3:38 AM

Serial nutcase Monticello tweeted that Lois Kibbee loved seeing the young perky titties when filming the Caddyshack pool scenes. Lois got all wet - down there - seeing all those titties.

by Anonymousreply 145January 2, 2021 3:53 AM

Solita Carrera on the rope bridge.

by Anonymousreply 146January 2, 2021 4:02 AM

Vee lets psycho pervert chaturbate amc2008 stay at SON. Why?

by Anonymousreply 147January 2, 2021 9:09 AM

Who’s more of a perv? Soapsuds or amc2008?

by Anonymousreply 148January 2, 2021 9:19 AM

Who is dumber? Dylan or amc2008

by Anonymousreply 149January 2, 2021 9:25 AM

I remember seeing the credits for this and being scared of them as a little kid. I thought the show had to be some sort of otherworldly nightmare scenario.

by Anonymousreply 150January 2, 2021 10:29 AM

r122

he was so hot... who did he play on AW?

by Anonymousreply 151January 2, 2021 12:23 PM

R151, he played Joe, Kathleen's witness protection security guy/occasional side piece when she "came back from the dead". Carl arranged to have him killed as a warning to Kathleen...and possibly also to Grant (who was secretly Kathleen's story source "Signet").

by Anonymousreply 152January 2, 2021 2:25 PM

Terrell Anthony was hot - but he was always so dull as dishwater in a scene. And sadly he's a big ole fundie.

But he certainly looked the part of what Rusty SHOULD have been - a big stud with a wicked grin and a sparkle in his eye.

by Anonymousreply 153January 2, 2021 2:29 PM

Terrell is not supportive of the gays. Big religious nut.

by Anonymousreply 154January 2, 2021 3:20 PM

I always forget that Sharon Gabet went to AW after EON, as well.

Of course Larkin went directly to GL and directly to AMC from GL, so he stayed busy.

by Anonymousreply 155January 2, 2021 4:01 PM

Sharon was wasted on AW.

by Anonymousreply 156January 2, 2021 4:14 PM

Yeah, they didn't at all seem to know what to do with her. Was it that a new writer came in and tried to totally reconceive the character?

by Anonymousreply 157January 2, 2021 4:15 PM

P&G likely just instructed AW to add Sharon Gabet to the cast as quickly as possible. Writers, who weren't the strongest in the world, didn't have time to really think out how to best place Gabet in the cast and best utilize her.

Sally and Catlin were the show's supercouple at that point, so they decided to put her in as a foil to their romance. Great idea. Lots of potential there. But then they made her a deaf mute for a while?!?!? She also didn't have any chemistry with Catlin or especially pose a threat to Sally.

After that didn't work, they put her in the orbit of Peter Love and the Love family, but made Brittany the victim rather than the vixen. Victim is not where Sharon Gabet's strongest talents lie; vixen is.

Poor planning and poor execution all the way round.

She wisely chose to leave the show the moment her contract was up.

by Anonymousreply 158January 2, 2021 9:46 PM

All great points, Liz.

Based on her portrayal of Raven, she needed a subtle introduction, a bit of mystery - she should have been brought on as someone who seemed normal on the surface, but someone in Bay City - Rachel, maybe? - would have had her number.

Instead, she was...deaf mute cowgirl? If I'm remembering correctly.....

by Anonymousreply 159January 2, 2021 11:31 PM

[quote] The Joel-Veleka posts are played out. Find a new topic, hon.

This is a DISCUSSION board - unless you are some homeroom monitor, we can talk about the Joel-Veleka and their TORRID affair for as long as we like.

by Anonymousreply 160January 2, 2021 11:32 PM

[quote] Terrell Anthony was hot

He is also a fundie Christian - and unapologetic about his Christianity

by Anonymousreply 161January 2, 2021 11:34 PM

Still waiting for the Veleka/Joel sex tapes. You know they are smoking HOT!!!

by Anonymousreply 162January 3, 2021 1:13 AM

Vee will be away this week helping to count the electoral college votes. He is an expert in politics and he is in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 163January 3, 2021 1:20 AM

There is nothing that Vee is not an expert in. Cleaning toilets at ABC has taught him so much.

by Anonymousreply 164January 3, 2021 4:16 AM

Brandy, she's a fine girl....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165January 3, 2021 2:37 PM

Who’s eating out Ann Flood’s snatch these days now that her Herb died? Or is that part of her life over?

by Anonymousreply 166January 3, 2021 11:12 PM

Vee is going to over turn the election. He has THAT much power! He’s in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 167January 3, 2021 11:29 PM

Could someone here please post the link to the latest WHET P&G thread? I can’t seem to find it using the Search function. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 168January 4, 2021 1:29 AM

This is it, R168.

We were trying to be a wee bit more subtle in title.

by Anonymousreply 169January 4, 2021 1:30 AM

R168 How dumb are you? You’re in the thread. Jesus.

by Anonymousreply 170January 4, 2021 1:46 AM

Hah, OK, thanks, OP.

I had a Locher’s Room marathon over the weekend and had two takeaways-James Wlcek is fucking awesome and Rick Hearst is insanely hot, way hotter now than when he was on GL. And Susan Pratt’s anger at GL breaking up Claire and Fletcher was palpable.

by Anonymousreply 171January 4, 2021 1:50 AM

And completely justifiable.

by Anonymousreply 172January 4, 2021 1:51 AM

I really need to watch the Susie P/Jay Hammer one more closely. I skimmed it at the time.

by Anonymousreply 173January 4, 2021 1:52 AM

You should, R173. Pratt was PISSED. I think it was generally acknowledged that it was McTavish who did the deed and Pratt hissed “She HATES women.” Great stuff.

by Anonymousreply 174January 4, 2021 2:09 AM

Pratt was way too bitter and cunty. It’s not like Pratt is some great actress. Get over it Susie. You definitely ain’t all that.

by Anonymousreply 175January 4, 2021 2:11 AM

The real story is that Susan Pratt had a feud with Vee, who made her miserable and swore her to silence. He’s in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 176January 4, 2021 2:44 AM

Susan Pratt was referring to Vee when she said that she hates women.

by Anonymousreply 177January 4, 2021 3:05 AM

Wednesday marks the 45th anniversary of Another World expanding to an hour. Happened on Jan. 6, 1975

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178January 4, 2021 9:28 AM

Vicky W sure was homely!

by Anonymousreply 179January 4, 2021 10:01 AM

R174 McTavish did what deed? It was Pam Long writing for GL at the point Fletcher and Claire broke up. McTavish was still an actress in the 80s, unless I am missing something?

Oddly, though I was never a huge fan of either character or actor (I liked them well enough), I remember their breakup scene! Because they had "Neither One of Us" by Gladys Knight playing over a montage of them looking sad.

Pratt has every right to be mad at what happened to Claire, though. She was a well rounded character who was changed after breaking up w/Fletch and fucking Ed Bauer in Beirut to a shallow shrew and the kind of woman who would abandon her baby. She definitely suffered from that mess of writer changes at GL between 1985-1987. Claire was destroyed in the process.

It would have been something if GL had her come back in the 90s and explain that she was, like, undiagnosed bipolar or something. Anything to give her behavior an explanation. Instead, when they brought her back they just kept the villainness thing going.

by Anonymousreply 180January 4, 2021 1:53 PM

Writers tend to do dramatic character shifts when they 1)hate the character and want them gone, 2)the character is too convoluted and can't be fixed without major time and effort and the biggest reason 3) the actor has done something to piss off the writer.

by Anonymousreply 181January 4, 2021 2:16 PM

I think with Claire they needed a villainness in the Ed story and Claire was it. They also threw Charlotte the murderer at him. None of it made us like nu nu Ed any more and eventually they brought Peter Simon back.

by Anonymousreply 182January 4, 2021 2:18 PM

Met Susan Pratt a couple times. A total bitch each time. She thought her shit didn’t stink but it probably did. Fuck her. Remind us again how many Emmys she was nominated for? Oh that’s right - NONE! Fucking cunt. That bitch should shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 183January 4, 2021 2:35 PM

At least Susie got to have a more well rounded experience as Barbara Montgomery - although in the end she was washed away to the land where all of Erica Kane's nemeses go.....

by Anonymousreply 184January 4, 2021 3:32 PM

R180, I think the Claire/Fletcher breakup happened in between Long stints. Pratt fairly demanded to know who was responsible for ditching Claire/Fletcher and J doubt she would have if Long was a possibility with her Long’s ex bf right there.

I remember Claire walked with a slight limp when she first appeared, presumably acquired via a childhood disease. Did they just drop that after a while?

by Anonymousreply 185January 4, 2021 5:03 PM

McTavish was only a dialogue writer when Claire/Fletch broke up. Pratt is koo koo and inaccurate.

by Anonymousreply 186January 4, 2021 5:33 PM

There's an interview with Josie number...2? Amy Carlson, in this week's Digest.

She says she still has lunch with the Annas (Holbrook and Stuart), Linda Dano, and whoever else is around when she's in NY a few times a year.

She also talked about Josie being stalked by Blair? Not remembering this character.

by Anonymousreply 187January 4, 2021 6:31 PM

I really hope Anna follows through with her claim on The Doctors reunion that she’s working on a memoir. I bet it would be great. She’s sharp as a tack on details on her soap career. There’s also the compelling narrative of her being mentally/emotionally abused by her then bf Jesse Doran (he was known as Bob) and finding love with James Cromwell later in life.

by Anonymousreply 188January 4, 2021 10:00 PM

Joel and Veleka were so hot together - they burned up the screen

by Anonymousreply 189January 4, 2021 10:01 PM

Did our beloved Geri Court ever feel up Anna Banana’s boobies?

by Anonymousreply 190January 4, 2021 10:21 PM

Hello my loves! Welcome to 2021! What a grand year it will be. SOAP OPERA DIGEST just told me that I, Scoche Marin, have been selected as one of 2021’s Most Beautiful Women in Soaps! I so love playing Katherine Chancellor on THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS, television’s number one daytime drama. Genoa City is so much more glamorous than Monticello!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191January 5, 2021 12:12 AM

R188 Me too.

by Anonymousreply 192January 5, 2021 3:50 AM

Mary McKinnon is back, bitches!

Will she have her Stevie Nicks getup on this time?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193January 6, 2021 12:40 AM

The last time that Denise was on GH, she could barely walk or talk. Seemed to have trouble delivering lines. We’ll see how this goes. Desperate for work?

by Anonymousreply 194January 6, 2021 10:16 PM

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 195January 7, 2021 12:01 AM

Mary was such a boring, archaic, wishy-washy name for a main character on a soap.

by Anonymousreply 196January 7, 2021 4:04 PM

Can someone help Vee from SON get his stimulus check? His bank isn’t helping him. Do they not know that he’s in the biz????

by Anonymousreply 197January 7, 2021 4:49 PM

Marissa!

by Anonymousreply 198January 7, 2021 5:09 PM

Mary was the perfect name for a Catholic matriarch.

by Anonymousreply 199January 7, 2021 6:49 PM

Multiple Emmy & Tony winner Bebe Neuwirth made her TV acting debut on Edge of Night in 1981

Watch below at how this appearance jump-started her career

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200January 7, 2021 6:51 PM

IS THIS ANOTHER STUPID FUCKING SOAP THREAD INHE MIDDLE OF A COUP.

by Anonymousreply 201January 7, 2021 6:53 PM

Mind your own business, R201. Nobody rang for your ass.

by Anonymousreply 202January 7, 2021 7:20 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203January 7, 2021 8:37 PM

What a murderer's row of actors in this crawl from 1966!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 204January 7, 2021 9:08 PM

Were the four musketeers on The Locher Room mentioned in the previous thread. It was so great to finally see them all together. I got the feeling that Judi’s main problem was with GA, though, not MOL.

by Anonymousreply 205January 9, 2021 5:27 PM

I went down a The Edge of Night rabbit hole this morning... What did you TEON watchers think of that whole Robbie Hamlin, mind control storyline?

by Anonymousreply 206January 9, 2021 5:54 PM

I went down a The Edge of Night rabbit hole this morning... What did you TEON watchers think of that whole Robbie Hamlin, mind control storyline?

by Anonymousreply 207January 9, 2021 5:55 PM

All the Edge storylines in the final 18 months were subpar in my opinion. Once they fired HW Henry Slesar and replaced him with Lee Sheldon, the quality went down.

Sheldon may have been a good storyteller, but his storylines weren't terribly good for a soap. They weren't awful, but they weren't anything especially noteworthy either. The ISIS building storyline especially didn't fit with Edge.

Similarly, as with any HW who comes to the soap genre without any previous experience, Sheldon didn't have the rhythms of doing a soap down, nor understand the plotting necessary, how to build characters, how to make the audience care about a character, etc.

Because of all of Sheldon's shortcomings, Edge suffered in the ratings which helped lead to more stations refusing to carry it and ultimately its cancellation.

P&G should have stuck with Henry Slesar who knew the genre. We might have gotten another year or two out of the show.

by Anonymousreply 208January 9, 2021 10:14 PM

Thanks for that info, Liz. I watched EON in its last several years, but didn't know if the changes were just one of those "let's try to be more like Luke and Laura" things that everyone was doing. Like making poor Travis on SFT get a perm.

by Anonymousreply 209January 11, 2021 8:51 PM

Donna dear at r209

No doubt Luke and Laura pushed all shows in the early 1980s to have more youth storylines and more adventure storylines. Older, more established soap HWs were reluctant to follow this trend.

Harding Lemay talks in his book about his reluctance to write for younger characters, saying he didn't find them as interesting as the older characters. Said Ray Liotta's Joey Perrini was one of the few younger actors he enjoyed writing for mainly because Ray was such a strong actor.

As far as Edge goes, I think P&G just wanted to try someone new when they hired Lee Sheldon to replace Henry Slesar. And they also instructed him to have a faster pace, something that didn't work so well for Edge because the show needed to build up the suspense in the storylines, something that slower pacing allowed better for. Similarly, slower pacing allowed time for the audience to get to know new characters and care about what happened to them.

That said, Henry Slesar was a master of pacing, knowing exactly how to build the needed suspense of a mystery storyline. One of the things that I disliked about Sheldon's stories in the past 18 months of Edge was the fast pace just didn't give me time to get invested in the characters or the storylines.

Frankly, in the final 18 months of Edge, the thing that kept me coming back was the characters I adored -- Sky and Raven, Geraldine, Miles, Mike and Nancy. I cared about them and the characters in their orbit. The other parts of Edge were not compelling to me in that final 18 months.

by Anonymousreply 210January 12, 2021 4:53 AM

Oh, my.

Alan Locher has invited none other than Stephanie Sloane to join him for an upcoming session

AND

He's also inviting VIEWERS to Zoom in as well.

This will end in tears......

by Anonymousreply 211January 12, 2021 7:05 PM

Maybe he can get Nelson Branco to do an episode too!

by Anonymousreply 212January 13, 2021 8:07 PM

Or The Devil Wears Lane Bryant herself.

by Anonymousreply 213January 13, 2021 8:44 PM

Alan would pitch that she-devil such soft ball questions, it would be like a game of whiffle ball.

But it could be exciting if he asked the right questions:

1. Do you remember the first soap star dick you sucked?

2. Do you remember the first soap star you blackmailed into fucking you?

3. How much money do you estimate Blondie's made off soap events?

by Anonymousreply 214January 13, 2021 8:55 PM

R214 LOL

by Anonymousreply 215January 13, 2021 9:13 PM

Alan’s latest reunion of The Doctors should be fun.

by Anonymousreply 216January 15, 2021 5:54 PM

Zimmer has a LOT of free time

by Anonymousreply 217January 15, 2021 8:36 PM

I bet Jada Rowland smokes a lot of weed.

by Anonymousreply 218January 16, 2021 6:42 PM

Did Jada's husband wave hi?

by Anonymousreply 219January 16, 2021 6:46 PM

They should get Jada and Marla Adams together for a Secret Storm reunion. I would totally watch that. Maybe they could even get Donna Mills.

by Anonymousreply 220January 16, 2021 7:19 PM

Vee knows Jada and Marla and made them both stars. He’s in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 221January 20, 2021 8:31 PM

So is this thread dead?

Are we still posting here and have we moved to another thread?

by Anonymousreply 222January 24, 2021 10:08 PM

There was a flurry of posting on the WHET to Gary Sinclair? thread this week but it’s now been found by the soap scat troll.

by Anonymousreply 223January 24, 2021 10:13 PM

We meed Geraldine Saxon to save this thread! Wherefore art though Geraldine Saxon and Geraldine Court, both pussy eaters?

by Anonymousreply 224January 25, 2021 12:10 AM

I was the most beautiful woman in soaps because I rubbed piss all over my face.

by Anonymousreply 225January 25, 2021 1:25 AM

Add Geraldine Saxon’s piss and I’m all in!

by Anonymousreply 226January 25, 2021 1:57 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!