Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A Summer Place- The Film

After laughing my ass off for years at this very Christmasy slap I finally decided to watch the film. Basically due to that slap and always loving Youtube videos of that glorious butch bulldyke Ms. Constance Ford.

Holy shit. This is a CAMP classic.

Stunning production design- That Frank Lloyd Wright beachouse gave me an erection. I especially loved the "interior" (clearly a set in a studio- but it was fucking awesome)

Ms. Constance Ford did NOT disappoint. I wish they would have delved into why she was SUCH a nasty cunt. She was like Beth Jarrett meets Michael Meyers.

The dude who played her husband was handsome and such a 50's actor. The CRAZIEST part was the weird sexual chemistry that oozed off the scenes with HIS DAUGHTER. It was creepy as fuck. She is played by Sandra Dee.

The blonde guy (Troy Donahue??) was HORRIBLE. I thought that his performance was really awful.

The guy who played his alcoholic dad had some of the best scenes and lines.

Also, the speech Sandra's dad gives to Constance Ford about her nastiness, hatred, and racism is one for the ages.

And speaking of speeches. THIS FILM HAS ABOUT 50 hilarious lines. There are some screamers!!!!!

And lots of great old times words like "harlot".

7/10. Beautifully shot (Carmel, Ca actually does actually work well as Maine), classic lines on par with Valley of The Dolls, and some kick ass performances.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2021 12:40 AM

Jackée Harry said Constance Ford wasn't a nice person on the set of "Another World", either. It happens at 1:45.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 26, 2020 6:38 PM

[OP], I think Constance Ford's character of the mom in "Summer Place" spent years hearing how wonderful her husband's first love was along with being jealous to an incestuous degree of her own daughter's beauty. So finally meeting his former girlfriend on vacation and everyone on the island not only truly does "'like her best,"' but it includes that daughter made mom snap like a twig.

by Anonymousreply 2December 26, 2020 7:40 PM

She looks like the kind of dyke who'd take a dump on your dressing floor

if you pissed her off

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 26, 2020 7:42 PM

She liked to abuse the young and the pretty ones the most...

She should've been the Warden of a Women's Prison

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 26, 2020 7:46 PM

R2! YES!!!! Awesome- I was thinking that I had to rewatch the film because perhaps I missed some subtext or even one line that gives a clue.

But what you just mentioned sounds perfect to me.

I live in New England and I will tale back one thing. Not all of the scenes looked like Maine. That very modern Art Deco-ish (for the time) church would have never been in Maine in the 50's. That looked very California.

by Anonymousreply 5December 26, 2020 7:56 PM

Jackee, gurl...she was just testing your mettle! You need to stand up to her like Miss Victoria Wyndham did.

[quote] So that first day I come in, and I'm doing a scene with Connie, and we finish the scene, and she looks at the director du jour and she says, "Well, Robbie never would have played it like that, is that the way you're gonna play it?" I put my script down and I waited for the director to run interference, and it was clear to me that he was a little intimidated by her, so I put my script down and I said, "When you've all sorted this out, I'll be in my dressing room!" I walked off the set, and that was the end of that -- that was the moment that Connie decided that I was a great replacement for Robin. I'd worked with people like this before. I'd been on Broadway, I'd been off-Broadway. I'd been working with Lily Tomlin and Madeline Kahn and everybody else, so Connie Ford was certainly not going to intimidate me on my first day. Well, that was all she wanted to do; she was testing my mettle and she found out [I wouldn't wilt] and from that point on we got along famously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 26, 2020 8:00 PM

Jesus Christ R6. Connie only liked MASCULINE everything. Can you imagine being feminine or wilting around Big Con? Connie probably only fucked other bull dykes. Connie was the BALLS. And probably had a pair underneath her lady slacks)

She sounds MISERABLE. Yet probably awesome if she respected you.

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2020 8:08 PM

Op. I love this movie. I watched this with my mother when I was a teen gayling (mom HAD to know) because I loved Troy and the campy drama and, yes, the bitch mother. Mom said it was very scandalous when it first came out. Teen sex, extramarital sex, sex even being openly alluded to. Muy Escandalo!!

Yes, the dialogue was hilarious.

"Have you been a bad boy, Johnny?"

by Anonymousreply 8December 26, 2020 8:09 PM

Forgot to add, to this day I watch this along with Susan Slade and Peyton Place while visiting mom while we kill a bottle or two of wine.

by Anonymousreply 9December 26, 2020 8:12 PM

Excellent, OP. I know this movie only from its torpific theme song, which somehow became the default for everything from elevator music to the "experiencing operating difficulties" interlude on tv stations.

by Anonymousreply 10December 26, 2020 8:15 PM

The entire film is ABOUT SEX. Desiring sex. Withholding sex. Being sexy. Not being sexy. Waiting to have sex. Inspecting this bitch to see if she had sex. Pretending not to want sex.

I cannot believe this film was made in 1959.

by Anonymousreply 11December 26, 2020 8:19 PM

The movies is all about how for a straight man, having a "frigid" wife is the worst thing that could possibly happen! Yes, back in the day men used to say that women who explored their sexuality at all were worthless sluts, but if a woman who'd kept everything in check until her wedding night didn't immediately love being penetrated then she was "frigid" and there was something wrong with her, and that her husband was the one who deserved pity. Of course nowadays the straights say "There are no frigid women, there are only clumsy men", which makes me feel just a bit sorry for the dad's next wife. And the author's wife or ex-wife.

Of course I think the author of the script was trying to write about the horrors of female frigidity, the horrors for the man who married her anyway, but Constance Ford played the character as more dykey than cold. I always hoped that after the divorce she found herself a nice intelligent gal and forgot everything she'd ever believed about a woman's place in the world, and they spent the sixties happily leading the women's rights and gay rights movements.

by Anonymousreply 12December 26, 2020 10:28 PM

[quote] Yet probably awesome if she respected you.

RESPECT? Respect is for PUSSIES!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 26, 2020 11:36 PM

Jesus Christ. R13- I think I would find Connie Ford HOTTER than any MAN! Would she put on a strap on and degrade me? Let's do this CONRAD!

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2020 12:45 AM

It's also about fixing that damned drip coming on top of my convenience!

by Anonymousreply 15December 27, 2020 12:53 AM

It was a fantasy. Young girls did not talked to their fathers about impure thoughts and kidding boys like that, then our even now. Not believable at all.

by Anonymousreply 16December 27, 2020 1:12 AM

[quote]I always hoped that after the divorce she found herself a nice intelligent gal and forgot everything she'd ever believed about a woman's place in the world, and they spent the sixties happily leading the women's rights and gay rights movements.

A Summer Place II: I'm Telling You Now It's Michfest

by Anonymousreply 17December 27, 2020 1:49 AM

That music. That theme song. That Troy. Great Americana movie. This brings me back memories of me ex. Still love you T!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 27, 2020 2:14 AM

Neither Dee nor Donahue could act, so Fred Steiner threw in a crescendo whenever one or the other had a big speech. Makes it easy to watch the movie while you're doing something else.

It drags on a bit long but the dialogue is really funny: "Let's not be bad, Johnny" and Buelah Bondi going on about her "convenience". Dorothy Maguire was a good actress who rarely had a good part, so she does what she can with this trash. The Christmas tree scene never get old.

The theme really captures that era--my mother, no sophisticate, loved it.

by Anonymousreply 19December 27, 2020 2:24 AM

I’d like some hot chocolate, Margaret. You ninny head!

by Anonymousreply 20December 27, 2020 2:37 AM

^^^^

I should have said Barbara...not Margaret.

I’m so ashamed, I’ll never be able to shut my face on DL again.

by Anonymousreply 21December 27, 2020 2:41 AM

This is another movie I need to re-watch.

by Anonymousreply 22February 5, 2021 10:20 PM

Troy Donahue was the most unattractive heart throb of that era. I couldn’t believe Suzanne Pleshette married him.

by Anonymousreply 23February 5, 2021 10:34 PM

Troy Donahue was the untalented Tab Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 24February 5, 2021 10:39 PM

If you really want to see how bad an actor Donahue was, watch My Blood Runs Cold, a B-thriller co-starring the equally inept Joey Heatherton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25February 5, 2021 10:45 PM

Troy Donahue gave the same performance in the same windbreaker jacket in every movie. Terrible. Sandra Dee was at least cute. Arthur Kennedy was great as Troys father. But I don’t think he ever turned in a bad performance.

by Anonymousreply 26February 5, 2021 10:52 PM

Donahue was cast in "The Godfather II" as Merle Johnson.

He had no lines but I bet nobody, in their wildest dreams, ever would think they'd see Al Pacino and Troy Donahue together in the same scene.

Francis Coppola had a thing for stunt casting. He cast another "C" List heart throb, George Hamilton, in "The Godfather III".

by Anonymousreply 27February 5, 2021 11:01 PM

Richard Egan was a B-list leading man in the 1950s who put in some decent performances in often less than decent films. He was perfect as Dee's Dad. He also appeared in a film noir I like, "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" - it's a bit like a poor man's "On the Waterfront" but still quite good. Odd, my Mum also had a crush on him.

Donahue was a cypher. How he made it into films I don't know, he couldn't act his way out of a paper bag. He was perfect for stuff like "Surfside 6" but beyond that, one sat there puzzling as to why, with that weak chin, he'd gotten as far as he did.

The odd thing is, he was quite bright and wanted to act from his early years. He just didn't have the juice.

by Anonymousreply 28February 5, 2021 11:22 PM

Were Connie and Susan Flannery friends?

by Anonymousreply 29February 6, 2021 12:02 AM

r27 Merle Johnson was Troy's birth name.

by Anonymousreply 30February 6, 2021 12:32 AM

IT'S fairly shuddersome to think of a typical Radio City Music Hall audience— the orderly, impressionable out - of - towners, the quiet family groups and especially the children—drinking in "A Summer Place." For on the screen Warners' version of the Sloan Wilson novel emerges as one of the most laboriously and garishly sex-scented movies in years. With a tedious bluntness of speech and imagery that few people should accept as adult realism, this raucously sensual drama spells out the clashes and intertwinings of two clans on a New England island. It tells — trumpets, is better—how two nice adolescents are almost crushed by four persons best described as delinquent parents. The whole thing leaves a rancid taste.

by Anonymousreply 31February 6, 2021 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!