Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Siskel and Ebert Worst Movies of 1993

Discuss. Have you ever seen any of these movies? If so, what did you think of them?

[italic]Carnosaur

[italic]Coneheads

[italic]Cop and a Half

[italic]Dangerous Game

[italic]Hocus Pocus

[italic]Robin Hood Men in Tights

[italic]Super Mario Bros.

[italic]The Beverly Hillbillies

[italic]The Opposite Sex

[italic]The Vanishing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2021 9:47 PM

SMB is an extremely bizarre movie. I could tell even when I was a little kid that there was something off about it.

I don’t know how they took such a simple concept and made such a mess out of it, but I am kind of glad they did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 26, 2020 2:21 PM

I saw Dangerous Game starring Madonna. I was an artsy experimental film, she wasn't terrible but wasn't good either. They are right about Hocus Pocus. I saw this in the theater and felt like I was duped. It's an unfunny children's film. Bette is hard to look at with those rat teeth.

by Anonymousreply 2December 26, 2020 2:28 PM

Hocus Pocus is a classic. There’s a sequel in production, apparently. I enjoy the Beverly Hillbillies, but I know it’s a trash movie. Agree about the rest.

by Anonymousreply 3December 26, 2020 2:28 PM

Didn't we already do this thread a few weeks ago?

by Anonymousreply 4December 26, 2020 2:35 PM

R4 that was 1992.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 26, 2020 2:36 PM

Didn't they save Roger Ebert's brain?

by Anonymousreply 6December 26, 2020 3:05 PM

R6 from what?

by Anonymousreply 7December 26, 2020 3:06 PM

Hocus Pocus has gone on to have a life of its own.

I have no idea what most of the others even are.

by Anonymousreply 8December 26, 2020 3:10 PM

Interesting I’ve seen quite a few from the 1992 list in theatres but none of the 1993 ones. I did eventually see Hocus Pocus though a and what a pice of shit - I can’t believe that movie ever got a second life.

Who is that girl in the clip, btw? Looks like Courteney Coz.

by Anonymousreply 9December 27, 2020 2:34 AM

I haven't seen any of them.

by Anonymousreply 10December 27, 2020 2:38 AM

"Hocus Pocus is a classic. There’s a sequel in production, apparently."

I saw it. It got universally bad reviews. And no wonder; it really was a crappy movie. It had ONE good scene, the one where the witches sing "I Put A Spell On You." It's since become a cult film. I have no idea why. It was a shitty movie. And there's a sequel "in the works?" God, I can only imagine how bad a sequel will be.

by Anonymousreply 11December 27, 2020 2:46 AM

R9 It is Courteney Cox.

by Anonymousreply 12December 27, 2020 3:09 AM

R12 from what movie?

by Anonymousreply 13December 27, 2020 3:16 AM

R12 The Opposite Sex

by Anonymousreply 14December 27, 2020 3:17 AM

[quote] I did eventually see Hocus Pocus though a and what a pice of shit - I can’t believe that movie ever got a second life.

I can. Most Halloween movies are off limits to little kids because of the sex and gore. Hocus Pocus is exactly what little kids look for in a “scary” movie —the supernatural, fears about safety, threats to life, good guys getting helped out by others, good guys win. There are thrills & chills for little kids without body parts and the gratuitous sex scenes made for teenaged boys.

It’s a little like the Wizard of Oz. A kid in trouble, scary witches, scary talking trees, flying monkeys, spooks - but the kid in trouble gets help from 4 good guys, they have adventures and they defeat the bad guys in the end.

Perfect for little kids.

When I was a kid every sitcom had a Halloween episode. It was exciting & anticipatory. Same with Christmas....and there were often St Patrick’s Day episodes on tv featuring leprechauns. Which reminds me of the Darby O’Gill movies. Very scary for little kids, but we loved them. You hardly ever see Halloween or Christmas tv episodes anymore. Those old Walt Disney movies should be taken as an example — the recent Disney Channel shows are all wiseass little kids & stale jokes.

by Anonymousreply 15January 23, 2021 7:26 PM

The Age of Innocence should be on there. No, it's actually not totally terrible but I find it very overrated. Pfeiffer and Ryder are totally miscast.

by Anonymousreply 16January 23, 2021 7:28 PM

[quote] I saw Dangerous Game starring Madonna. I was an artsy experimental film, she wasn't terrible but wasn't good either.

Totally disagree--Madonna was excellent and she was so natural in the movie. I'm sure Abel Ferrara was absolutely strict with her because otherwise it would have been Madonna's show and she would be too contrived.

by Anonymousreply 17January 23, 2021 7:29 PM

I love Robin Hood Men in Tights. I think it's hilarious. But I'm a big Mel Brooks fan, so maybe it just fits my sense of humor.

by Anonymousreply 18January 23, 2021 7:43 PM

The bald one thumbed down silence of the lambs, hard to take that dude seriously.

by Anonymousreply 19January 23, 2021 7:46 PM

Roger Ebert actually gave Cop and a Half three stars or a thumbs up if you prefer. I have't seen it but most consider it an awful Burt Reynolds movie. As far as Hocus Pocus I saw it in a theater and I enjoyed it and thought it would have been a bigger hit than it was. I'm glad it's found new life as a kind of cult favorite. I'm also happy there will be a sequel finally. It's not as bad as some have posted. I find it campy Halloween fun.

by Anonymousreply 20January 23, 2021 7:51 PM

Hocus Pocus was a very popular film for 90s kids. It's become something of a classic. It's not at all a bad movie. Plus Omri Katz is gorgeous in it.

by Anonymousreply 21January 23, 2021 7:51 PM

A list of the worst movies of 1993 that omits Boxing Helena is bullshit. There’s no way in hell that Hocus Pocus is a worse movie.

by Anonymousreply 22January 23, 2021 7:53 PM

Hocus Pocus has stood the test of time obviously. It's one of those rare movies that is more popular now than when it was released. I don't think there are too many films from the past 30 years where that's the case. If anything, it's usually in the opposite direction (Titanic).

by Anonymousreply 23January 23, 2021 7:56 PM

R21 it is fucking bad it has huge plot holes and terrible acting from the teen leads.

by Anonymousreply 24January 23, 2021 7:56 PM

R23 eh it’s nostalgic for the stupid kids that grew up watching crap every Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 25January 23, 2021 7:57 PM

I very much regretted at the time not watching Robin Hood Men in Tights. It only played for about a week, and I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 26February 7, 2021 12:18 AM

Why isn't "Hot Shots! Part Deux" on that list?! Total shit.

by Anonymousreply 27February 7, 2021 12:51 AM

I vaguely remember seeing Coneheads. From what I recall, it was indeed awful.

My sister and I were so excited to see the Super Mario Bros film, but... yikes. Who decided that fucking Super Mario needed to be dark and gritty? At least Yoshi was still kind of cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2021 1:05 AM

HOCUS POCUS is only popular today because it is a kid friendly Halloween movie, so it ended up in rotation for the Disney channel. There aren't many kid friendly Halloween movies and even some that are supposedly for kids (like The Witches) are way too intense and scary for youngsters. Anyone kid can watch HOCUS POCUS. It's a genuine piece of shit though. Awful soundstage movie.

Carnosaur was just a Roger Corman (cheap) direct to video POS that was created to hit videostores around the same time Jurassic Park hit theaters. They even cast Laura Dern's mom in it. Either Siskel or Ebert liked it.

by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2021 1:16 AM

I never saw Hocus Pocus growing up in the 90s and so it holds no nostalgia for me, but all my gay friends who watched it on a loop on Disney Channel every Halloween act like it’s The Godfather-level. It’s horrible.

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2021 9:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!