Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I’m watching Meet Me in St Louis for Christmas Eve

I’m very excited. I’ve never seen it.

by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2021 12:33 AM

I think it's very entertaining, OP. I was surprised at how much I loved it because I'm a snob about movies and not a musical fan. Judy was incandescent and the family seemed kind of real for the time and place.

by Anonymousreply 1December 24, 2020 9:48 PM

Other songs get more airplay but it’s “You and I” that warms the heart.

by Anonymousreply 2December 24, 2020 9:50 PM

[quote]I’m very excited. I’ve never seen it.

Don't be. Tootie is not who you think it is.

by Anonymousreply 3December 24, 2020 9:53 PM

Beautiful movie.

by Anonymousreply 4December 24, 2020 9:55 PM

It has the perfect Christmas song for 2020 in it. (Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas) I am getting teary-eyed just thinking about the song and film. Enjoy!

by Anonymousreply 5December 24, 2020 10:01 PM

If you need a little more Christmas, make it a double-bill with "Mame".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 24, 2020 10:06 PM

A great movie musical with plenty of hit songs, elegant costuming, gowns by IRENE, and a focused Judy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 24, 2020 10:07 PM

Greatest movie musical of all time! R2 is right - prepare to get a lump in your throat. Also, Tom Drake is hot, and gay!

by Anonymousreply 8December 24, 2020 10:14 PM

Tootie is a socipath.

by Anonymousreply 9December 24, 2020 10:19 PM

It's a terrific film. It was the first film we watched in film school.

I think it's Judy's best performance. She is just perfect. Looks gorgeous and sings beautifully. All of her numbers are outstanding.

And I agree, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas is more resonant this year.

by Anonymousreply 10December 24, 2020 10:50 PM

OP's trolley has never been clanged.

by Anonymousreply 11December 24, 2020 10:55 PM

[quote] OP's trolley has never been clanged.

Unfortunately for OP time, tide and trolley stop for no man.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 24, 2020 10:58 PM

If this story happened today, Tootie would have been in a young offender's home or maybe psych ward for her violent tendencies.

by Anonymousreply 13December 24, 2020 11:03 PM

Is that a whalebone or steel ribbed corset, you ask?

by Anonymousreply 14December 24, 2020 11:10 PM

Enjoy, OP, I wish I could watch it again for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 15December 25, 2020 12:05 AM

The brother and the boy next door are both gay, right?

by Anonymousreply 16December 25, 2020 12:39 AM

How come nobody ever talks about my performance?!

by Anonymousreply 17December 25, 2020 1:08 AM

A wonderful film. My first film in film school also. A trumy great film. You’ll enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 18December 25, 2020 1:15 AM

It was my late mother's favorite film. She saw it in original release on her 14th birthday.

Her birthday was on Christmas, so I always get a little sad when I watch......especially this time of the year.

by Anonymousreply 19December 25, 2020 1:27 AM

Exquisite on every level. I simply cannot watch the Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas scene. The most heartbreaking Christmas song I know of with the possible exception of I’ll Be Home for Christmas. Both war time songs.

by Anonymousreply 20December 25, 2020 1:29 AM

Mary! me all you want, but I love that headscarf that Judy wears.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21December 25, 2020 1:37 AM

Tootie is basically Wednesday Addams. Weird little girls have been around for a long time you know.

*kisses doll

by Anonymousreply 22December 25, 2020 1:40 AM

The talent in this picture -- Garland, Minnelli, the Hugh Martin score, Roger Edens, Arthur Freed, the MGM musical magic. Just sit back and let all that talent wash over you.

by Anonymousreply 23December 25, 2020 1:46 AM

You're competing with an Eastern girl. I'll wager Lucille Ballard doesn't make a move without a corset.

by Anonymousreply 24December 25, 2020 1:55 AM

Great movie, lots of fun.

by Anonymousreply 25December 25, 2020 2:11 AM

It was nice to see Margaret O'Brian have a scene singing with Judy and not being forced into hysterical antics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26December 25, 2020 5:57 AM

Too bad Tootie dies at the end. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 27December 25, 2020 6:06 AM

Don’t forget IRENE, r23.

by Anonymousreply 28December 25, 2020 11:07 AM

You’re mean, r27.

by Anonymousreply 29December 25, 2020 11:10 AM

I’m all in on Tootie. Margaret O’Brien is great in the movie, particularly that Halloween scene!

by Anonymousreply 30December 25, 2020 12:47 PM

Some of the original lyrics that were penned by Martin were rejected before filming began.

When presented with the original draft lyric, Garland, her co-star Tom Drake and director Vincente Minnelli criticized the song as depressing, and asked Martin to change the lyrics. Though he initially resisted, Martin made several changes to make the song more upbeat.

For example, the lines "It may be your last / Next year we may all be living in the past" became "Let your heart be light / Next year all our troubles will be out of sight". Garland's version of the song, which was also released as a single by Decca Records, became popular among United States troops serving in World War II; her performance at the Hollywood Canteen brought many soldiers to tears.

n 1957, Frank Sinatra asked Martin to revise the line "Until then we'll have to muddle through somehow." He told Martin, "The name of my album is A Jolly Christmas. Do you think you could jolly up that line for me?" Martin's new line was "Hang a shining star upon the highest bough." Martin made several other alterations, changing from the future tense to the present, so that the song's focus is a celebration of present happiness, rather than anticipation of a better future

Judy Garland's 1944 version of the song reached No. 27 on the Billboard charts.

In 1995, American singer Lorna Luft recorded a cover of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" which was reworked as a "virtual duet" with her mother Judy Garland. Luft's version of the song peaked at number 100 on the UK Singles Chart on December 16, 1995

by Anonymousreply 31December 25, 2020 10:15 PM

Boring film. It didn't even have a fucking plot and the 3-strip technicolor looked so garish it made my eyes bleed.

by Anonymousreply 32December 25, 2020 10:21 PM

[quote] Judy Garland's 1944 version of the song reached No. 27 on the Billboard charts

That's not that impressive, and that was probably one of her biggest hits. Despite all her fame as the "greatest singer" she really never had any chart "hits". No top ten, let alone number 1's. She did fill up concerts and made songs popular in movies, however.

by Anonymousreply 33December 25, 2020 10:29 PM

Loved that Victorian house.

by Anonymousreply 34December 25, 2020 10:56 PM

r33 Yeah she wasn't a hit maker

by Anonymousreply 35December 27, 2020 7:44 AM

[quote]Too bad Tootie dies at the end. Sad.

I think you must have seen it on a double-bill with "Little Women."

by Anonymousreply 36December 27, 2020 7:35 PM

JG’s live album from Carnegie Hall was #1 for 13 weeks in 1961 but that appears to be one of the few times she charted.

by Anonymousreply 37December 27, 2020 8:10 PM

r37

When Michael Jackson died all his records hit the charts again, did they do that when Judas died?

by Anonymousreply 38January 3, 2021 4:41 PM

Love that movie! Not a lot happens but it’s so entertaining for some reason

by Anonymousreply 39January 3, 2021 4:42 PM

[Quote] Despite all her fame as the "greatest singer" she really never had any chart "hits". No top ten, let alone number 1's. She did fill up concerts and made songs popular in movies, however.

I think she’s one of those vocalists who sounds amazingly better live

by Anonymousreply 40January 3, 2021 4:43 PM

Judy Garland had 17 charted singles, mainly with Decca, in the Top 30 between 1939-55, with 6 of those being Top Ten.

Capitol considered her an "album artist" not a "single artist", they didn't aggressively release singles from her albums: one from the Grove album, two from The Letter, and one each from Carnegie Hall, Garland Touch, I Could Go On Singing, and the Palladium. The polar opposite of label mates like Peggy Lee or Nat Cole who didn't have Judy's film career but were pushing singles all the time and did multiple studio albums each year.

As noted, Carnegie Hall sat at #1 for 13 weeks. Plus A Star is Born at #5, Meet Me in St. Louis at #2, Miss Show Business at #5, and Alone and Judy both at #17.

So that's 6 charted albums and 17 charted singles. It may pale by comparison to some contemporaries, but her career in other areas (especially film) likely equals or outshines theirs. She also commanded top concert fees.

That remix of The Man That Got Away was her most recent chart hit.

I wish she had done more studio albums at Capitol that weren't re-records.

by Anonymousreply 41January 3, 2021 6:28 PM

r41 Yeah OK

by Anonymousreply 42January 4, 2021 12:00 AM

It's on TCM tonight!

12:30 am Eastern, 9:30 pm Pacific.

Get ready to be annoyed by little Margaret O'Brien!

by Anonymousreply 43July 21, 2021 9:40 PM

Get ready to be annoyed by l̶i̶t̶t̶l̶e̶ ̶M̶a̶r̶g̶a̶r̶e̶t̶ ̶O̶'̶B̶r̶i̶e̶n̶ the fake Tootie

by Anonymousreply 44July 21, 2021 9:50 PM

I love this movie.

I can watch it over, and over again!

by Anonymousreply 45July 22, 2021 2:09 AM

Whoops, at R43.

It doesn't start until 12:45 am Eastern, 9:45 pm Pacific.

The Music Man is on right now.

by Anonymousreply 46July 22, 2021 2:15 AM

Starting now!

by Anonymousreply 47July 22, 2021 4:44 AM

My favorite part is when Agnes threatens to stab Katie in her sleep, and then have wild horses drag her dead body through the streets.

And yes, it's an actual scene in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 48July 22, 2021 5:03 AM

I've seen MMiSL countless times and actually a lot happens. It just has an unconventional plot, but it is not without one.

The scene following the dinner blow up with the song "You and I" (basically the Act 1 closer) is some of the most character-driven, sophisticated storytelling I can recall and I never tire of it. It is as good as everyone says, even Martin Scorsese talks about how it influenced him, and it used to be on his list of "essentials".

by Anonymousreply 49July 22, 2021 7:31 AM

This movie reminds me of a terrible year I had in 2008. First of all, I was stood up at the alter? Can you fucking believe this bum? It was six years of on again, off again but we finally decided to do it. On top of that, I had a luxury honeymoon already prepaid on my credit card, which there was no getting out of. I wanted to crawl under a bottle of vodka and die, but my selfish, whorish friends decided they wanted to go party in up in Mexico and drag me along in the guise of making me feel better, Anyways, when I got home, I was depressed. So depressed that I couldn't even bother responding to parties, invites, and other extensive. I hired a saintly assistant from St. Louis, aptly named Louise. Louise from St. Louse - how fun! Long story short, for Christmas I bought Louise a bright (last season) LV bag in hideous purple and red patchwork I got from a sample sale at the Vogue closet. Louise got me the Meet Me in St. Louis DVD. I smiled and threw in the trash once she left to go home for the holidays. I was drunk, alone, and decided to watch the damn thing while sending hateful texts to my ex over new years eve. Anyways, that's my Meet Me in St. Louis story. I thought it sucked balls. Oh, and I fired that piece of trash Louise. Get a clue, bitch. That gift wasn't cute and I wasn't amused.

by Anonymousreply 50July 22, 2021 7:56 AM

It's on TCM today at 3:30 pm Eastern and 12:30 pm Pacific.

I always love when Judy sings "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas."

by Anonymousreply 51December 4, 2021 6:09 PM

Is this the movie where Esther pines after Charles Lindbergh, who lives next door? And she tries to get him to notice her but he's too busy trying to plan the world's first solo transatlantic crossing by airplane? But he finally agrees to meet her at his airplane (hence the title, "Meet Me At The Spirit of St. Louis") but she is late because the trolley broke down and he flies off into the sky?

by Anonymousreply 52December 4, 2021 6:23 PM

For anyone who has HBOMax, you can watch it anytime you want. It's under the TCM banner.

by Anonymousreply 53December 4, 2021 6:26 PM

Nothing happens except one thing is supposed to happen and it doesn't. The first concept musical.

by Anonymousreply 54December 4, 2021 6:29 PM

Alonso Jr. was the best looking guy in the movie.

There, I said it!

by Anonymousreply 55December 4, 2021 9:11 PM

Have yourself a merry little christmas is on now!

by Anonymousreply 56December 4, 2021 9:11 PM

My favorite scene was the one where Tootie got run over by a train!

by Anonymousreply 57December 4, 2021 9:11 PM

I'm watching Meatmarket in St. Louis for Christmas Eve. I'm very excited-- I douched and cracked open a new tub of vaseline.

by Anonymousreply 58December 4, 2021 9:14 PM

I worked at a film library and this was the favorite film of the other lady who worked there. There was a little monitor with a built-in VHS player and all December long she would play it on endless repeat. She would sit looking at it with her fingers intertwined beneath her chin and a Down's Syndrome expression on her face. I can't watch it without thinking of her.

by Anonymousreply 59December 4, 2021 9:47 PM

I’m partial to Warren Sheffield, R55.

by Anonymousreply 60December 4, 2021 11:58 PM

R17 Because you wouldn't have gotten the part without sleeping with the producer?

by Anonymousreply 61December 5, 2021 12:19 AM

[quote]Boring film. It didn't even have a fucking plot and the 3-strip technicolor looked so garish it made my eyes bleed.

R32 = Deanna Durbin.

by Anonymousreply 62December 5, 2021 12:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!