Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Can't Keep an Old Horse Down: Sex and the City Season 7 in the Works...Without Samantha

Because 2020 hasn't been bad enough.

Sarah Jessica Parker will NOT BE IGNORED.

That long-gestating third Sex and the City movie may finally be coming to fruition — as a series (and sans a key player).

HBO Max is reportedly near a deal to revive the iconic comedy franchise as a limited series, with leads Sarah Jessica Parker, Kristin Davis and Cynthia Nixon set to reprise their signature roles as Carrie, Charlotte and Miranda, respectively. Meanwhile, Kim Cattrall — who has been very public about her desire to put the franchise, her co-stars and her character of Samantha, behind her — is not expected to be involved in the quasi-seventh season.

The New York Post first broke the news.

In an October 2017 interview with Piers Morgan, Cattrall implored SATC‘s creative team — who have previously been taken to task for the series’ poor track record on diversity — to recast the role of Samantha with a non-white actress. “It’s a great part,” she said at the time. “I played it past the finish line and then some, and I loved it. And another actress should play it. Maybe they could make it an African-American Samantha Jones, or a Hispanic Samantha Jones.”

The original series, of course, ran for six seasons on HBO and spawned two movies. The show garnered numerous Emmys during its time on the air — including wins for stars Parker and Nixon.

TVLine has reached out to an HBO Max rep for a comment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 11, 2021 7:33 AM

Jesus, let it die.

by Anonymousreply 1December 23, 2020 2:05 AM

Jesus, let her die.

by Anonymousreply 2December 23, 2020 2:07 AM

SJP needs to let it go already. Samantha was the best part of that franchise and the character belongs to Kim Cattrall. The rule of thumb with any sequel or reboot is - If you can't get all the original actors to participate, just don't do it! At this point they're only going to do harm to the legacy of SaTC. Do they really need the money that bad?

by Anonymousreply 3December 23, 2020 2:10 AM

Betty White is in talks to take over the role of Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 4December 23, 2020 2:11 AM

Kim's new series got canceled, and this would be a nice paycheck for her. I bet they offer her a dumptruck full of money and she takes it.

by Anonymousreply 5December 23, 2020 2:12 AM

R5 It's a shame, the show sucked. But I think they'd have to offer her Marvel movie money at this point.

by Anonymousreply 6December 23, 2020 2:15 AM

R5, not going to happen, too much bad blood. They'll cast someone like Angela Basset for the role.

by Anonymousreply 7December 23, 2020 2:15 AM

They can just recast her. Someone mentioned Sharon Stone in another thread. She'd be perfect. I wish more shows would do recasts instead of just writing out characters.

by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2020 2:18 AM

Sharon Stone would be perfect, but if they want to diversify the cast and get a lot of publicity, they'll cast a woman of color.

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2020 2:20 AM

Is Sharon desperate for cash?

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2020 2:20 AM

This will end in tears.

by Anonymousreply 11December 23, 2020 2:22 AM

SJP can't possibly need the money. I remember when she was promoting SATC's final season. She said she wanted the show to end on top while it was still hot and fresh. Well I guess that sentiment has gone out the window, since they're gonna ride this thing til the wheels fall off and ruin their legacy while doing it.

by Anonymousreply 12December 23, 2020 2:24 AM

She hasn't worked in years, R10. It would be a good role for her, regardless of the money.

by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2020 2:25 AM

As if SJP still has a WAP.

by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2020 2:25 AM

Make the character become Samuel. Boom! There's the trans audience.

by Anonymousreply 15December 23, 2020 2:26 AM

They literally are the golden girls now so i guess its basically rebooting the 2 shows .

by Anonymousreply 16December 23, 2020 2:27 AM

[quote] they're gonna ride this thing til the wheels fall off and ruin their legacy while doing it.

I believe the second film covered that quite thoroughly.

by Anonymousreply 17December 23, 2020 2:29 AM

[quote]Make the character become Samuel. Boom! There's the trans audience.

You KNOW Laverne Cox is screaming at xir agent to get xir a read.

by Anonymousreply 18December 23, 2020 2:29 AM

SJP is in her mid fifties.

by Anonymousreply 19December 23, 2020 2:30 AM

Just recast Samantha... Morgan Fairchild as Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 20December 23, 2020 2:30 AM

SJP is 44

by Anonymousreply 21December 23, 2020 2:31 AM

R18 Paging Elliot Page! Elliot Page please report to NYC.

by Anonymousreply 22December 23, 2020 2:31 AM

I don't blame them for wanting to return, if for no other reason but to atone for the second movie. I'm sure there's a part of them that doesn't want that to be the swan song for the franchise, that was otherwise strong from start to finish.

by Anonymousreply 23December 23, 2020 2:31 AM

They won’t replace Kim. I predict she’ll be back

by Anonymousreply 24December 23, 2020 2:32 AM

R3 I disagree. Whatever SJP and MPK have in mind is going to be so delightfully awful that we just have to see it, fake Samantha and all.

by Anonymousreply 25December 23, 2020 2:33 AM

Sex in the City? Again? Surely we have all had sufficient?

by Anonymousreply 26December 23, 2020 2:33 AM

I think they'll get Kim back, but if they want to replace Samantha, Jean Smart is basically Cattrall's twin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 23, 2020 2:35 AM

R26 I haven't.

by Anonymousreply 28December 23, 2020 2:35 AM

They can open with Samantha's funeral. They have years of unaired footage they can use featuring Kim. They can introduce Kim's cousin/long lost half sister at the funeral. She can be played by anyone.

by Anonymousreply 29December 23, 2020 2:36 AM

R23 what makes you think this miniseries would be any better than the shitty movies?

by Anonymousreply 30December 23, 2020 2:38 AM

SJP may not need the money but I'm guessing she wants the exposure. They really do need Samantha, because the rest of them are pretty boring as a group--they need someone a little outre to provide any life.

by Anonymousreply 31December 23, 2020 2:41 AM

Nothing says SEXY like 3 married women in their 50s

by Anonymousreply 32December 23, 2020 2:42 AM

WHO on earth wants to watch this? Enough.

by Anonymousreply 33December 23, 2020 2:44 AM

They can replace Samantha with Mr. Big, who comes out as a fabulous caftan wearing homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 34December 23, 2020 2:44 AM

[quote]SJP is 44

She was born in March 1965 and starred in Annie on Broadway in 1979. She's not 44.

by Anonymousreply 35December 23, 2020 2:45 AM

I don't think it's about the money, it's about the spotlight. SATC was a cultural phenomenon at the peak of the series with SJP leading the way. It's got to be hard to give that up. Now they seem so dated and out of touch. I'll watch, but I think the magic is gone.

by Anonymousreply 36December 23, 2020 2:46 AM

I’m fond of the show (I rewatched a lot on E! as my boyfriend worked from home, early-pandemic).

I’d prefer Kim but, holy fuck, the Morgan Fairchild suggestion is genius.

I googled; they’re only six years apart.

by Anonymousreply 37December 23, 2020 2:46 AM

[quote]Just recast Samantha... Morgan Fairchild as Samantha.

I'd rather see Morgan Freeman play the role.

by Anonymousreply 38December 23, 2020 2:49 AM

I think Parker Posey would be good in the Samantha role.

by Anonymousreply 39December 23, 2020 2:50 AM

SJP, and the rest, just can't accept that Kim Cattrall's Samantha was the real star of the show. She is the one people watched for and remembers.

It's like the Beverly Hillbillies reunion they did minus Granny. Yeah it was nice seeing the other ones, but they were missing the funniest character that everyone wanted to watch. And, the replacement was no where as good.

by Anonymousreply 40December 23, 2020 2:51 AM

[quote] They can introduce Kim's cousin/long lost half sister at the funeral. She can be played by anyone.

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 41December 23, 2020 2:52 AM

Parker Posey would work better as a replacement for Cynthia Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 42December 23, 2020 2:52 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 23, 2020 2:52 AM

[quote]I think Parker Posey would be good in the Samantha role.

She's too good of an actress and will outshine SJP.

by Anonymousreply 44December 23, 2020 2:53 AM

What about Jennifer Coolidge as Samantha?

by Anonymousreply 45December 23, 2020 2:54 AM

Sela Ward was born in the same year as Kim Cattrall.

So was Luis Guzman.

by Anonymousreply 46December 23, 2020 2:55 AM

Well my vote goes to Mare Winningham to replace Cattrall.

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2020 2:56 AM

Cynthia Nixon needs the money. She's still paying off her run for Governor of New York.

by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2020 2:57 AM

I still vote for Sharon Stone if they can't get Kim back. She's gorgeous in the same way Kim is gorgeous, and is possibly the only actress in that age group who could match Kim's charisma and sexual energy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 23, 2020 2:59 AM

[Quote]I don't think it's about the money, it's about the spotlight. SATC was a cultural phenomenon at the peak of the series with SJP leading the way.

I think HBO just needs more shows so people sign up for their new service. So much streaming competition right now and they haven't had many hits since GOT ended. That's why they're even considering a True Blood reboot, SATC and BLL 3 etc.

Samantha had breast cancer so it's not really hard to kill off this character and replace her with a younger actress.

by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2020 2:59 AM

While the show seems dated, seems like there are still young girls thinking they could easily afford a NYC SJP SATC lifestyle supported by their basic blog with 1.5k followers.

by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2020 3:00 AM

These old whores are desperate for money. A disaster in the making. I don’t give a shit if Sam is not in it. She’s THE star of the franchise

by Anonymousreply 52December 23, 2020 3:02 AM

Stone could easily play Sam's sister. They're both tall, striking bottle blondes, and Sharon is a couple of years younger than Kim and looks fantastic. If they killed off Samantha, they could meet 'Susan' or whatever at Sam's funeral and the first part of the season could be about whether or not they can accept a new member of the group. There's no reason to make 'Susan' (or whatever) as much of a sexpot, either. The women are in their 50s/60s now and we don't need to see so much nudity and fucking. They can joke about it like the Golden Girls did, they can even have it, but I for one don't want to see it.

And if this thing gets off the ground, they'll definitely kill off Big as the third movie was supposed to. Carrie can angst about Big forever while getting back in the dating scene. 'Susan' will be single, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they split up Miranda and Steve again. That would just leave Charlotte as married, and since she was always the prissy one, a married Charlotte wouldn't throw too many wrenches in the works. Give Charlotte a trans kid or something and she'll have enough to do plotwise.

by Anonymousreply 53December 23, 2020 3:06 AM

Won't it really be another season of The Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 54December 23, 2020 3:08 AM

Sure it will, but GG has a massive following even now. They could do worse than to turn SATC into a GG reboot for all intents and purposes.

by Anonymousreply 55December 23, 2020 3:08 AM

Stone would bring some crazy which would liven up the place.

by Anonymousreply 56December 23, 2020 3:10 AM

Kim wasn't a star of anything. Her own show just flopped and was cancelled. She'll come crawling back on her hands and knees begging SJP to hire her, but SJP will laugh and close the door in her face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57December 23, 2020 3:10 AM

R57 = Ferris Bueller

by Anonymousreply 58December 23, 2020 3:10 AM

R57 is SJP

by Anonymousreply 59December 23, 2020 3:11 AM

SJP will laugh privately and use it as leverage in the contract negotiations, but make no bones that she'll play the magnanimous card in public and take Kim back. Samantha is the heart of the show.

by Anonymousreply 60December 23, 2020 3:11 AM

[quote]I think HBO just needs more shows so people sign up for their new service. So much streaming competition right now and they haven't had many hits since GOT ended. That's why they're even considering a True Blood reboot, SATC and BLL 3 etc.

I wonder when they'll call Lens to revive [italic]Girls.

by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2020 3:12 AM

They don't have to tie the new character to Samantha, she's gone, person nongrada.

by Anonymousreply 62December 23, 2020 3:12 AM

R61 SHUT UP AND DON"T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS. NO ONE WANTS TO SEE THAT WHALE NAKED AGAIN.

by Anonymousreply 63December 23, 2020 3:14 AM

Just replace Samantha with the Kristen Johnson character and call it a day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64December 23, 2020 3:14 AM

I assume Kim saved or invested well over the years or she wouldn't have slammed the door as hard as she did.

by Anonymousreply 65December 23, 2020 3:14 AM

Can't stand Kim Cattrall. I think those women like each other and if they can get paid to do a gig together for a short run, why not? Replacement, definitely. Three is too few, esp as I can't stand Cynthia Nixon's husband either. Sharon Stone-yes; Morgan Fairchild-yes; Jean Smart--like her but not in this.

by Anonymousreply 66December 23, 2020 3:14 AM

Maybe they'll have Samantha died of covid. And Mr Big convicted and jailed by #MeToo .

by Anonymousreply 67December 23, 2020 3:17 AM

SJP and Sharon Stone won’t get along at all. It’ll be an even worse situation.

by Anonymousreply 68December 23, 2020 3:20 AM

My pick would be Lucy Lui. She could be Kim’s stepsister we never knew about,

by Anonymousreply 69December 23, 2020 3:20 AM

No reason Kristen Johnson's Lainey couldn't have a twin.

by Anonymousreply 70December 23, 2020 3:21 AM

They'd have to deal with the fact that Lucy Liu actually appeared on the show as a client of Samantha's, though.

by Anonymousreply 71December 23, 2020 3:22 AM

[Quote]I wonder when they'll call Lens to revive Girls.

What about a Looking reboot?

by Anonymousreply 72December 23, 2020 3:25 AM

Big and Samantha both experienced serious health problems on the first run of the show, so killing them off in their early 60s would be plausible. Splitting up Samantha and Steve would also be plausible. Giving Charlotte a trans kid would be timely and give her something to do other than being married to the always charming Harry. The new fourth woman doesn't have to be related to Sam in any way, but she'll have to bring that manic sexual energy and knowing humor that Cattrall always brought to the group. Stone would be a good choice because we know she has both of those qualities, and she's a big enough star that people will tune in just to see how she fits in the role. I don't think they'd do that for Jean Smart or Morgan Fairchild.

by Anonymousreply 73December 23, 2020 3:25 AM

Samantha dies. At the funeral, they meet Sheila, Samantha's mother, played by Delta Burke.

She is part Samantha and part Mae West--basically a delusional gay man who thinks he really looks 29.

Problem solved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 23, 2020 3:26 AM

Charlotte's oldest daughter is trans and they have to turn her bat mitzvah into a bar mitzvah at the last second. Hilarity ensues.

by Anonymousreply 75December 23, 2020 3:27 AM

I’ll watch it!

by Anonymousreply 76December 23, 2020 3:28 AM

Leslie Uggams as Samantha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 23, 2020 3:33 AM

[quote] Just replace Samantha with the Kristen Johnson character and call it a day.

What are they going to do, revive ehr after they scrape her off the sidewalk? She fell out the window of a high-rise apartment.

by Anonymousreply 78December 23, 2020 3:34 AM

[quote] Leslie Uggams as Samantha!

Huckada bejeepers!

by Anonymousreply 79December 23, 2020 3:35 AM

I think Vanessa Williams would be a great Samantha and bring a touch of diversity to the show. If they decide to not go that route, however, I think the suggestions about Sharon Stone, Sela Ward and Morgan Fairchild (Morgan!) are fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 80December 23, 2020 3:37 AM

Angela Bassett looks great and is the same age as Cattrall, if they want to keep the fourth member of the gang older. Halle Berry is the same age as SJP, KP, and CN if they want to even out the group.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81December 23, 2020 3:37 AM

Halle Berry looks way too good for her age. She may age match but she wouldn't face match the others. They'd wonder what this hot black woman was doing hanging out with the crones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 23, 2020 3:38 AM

If they were making a movie they would need all four. Too risky without Kim. A tv reboot is another story. They’ll focus on the other three and people will watch. No need to replace Kim or bring in another woman who we don’t know. That could backfire. Stick to the characters we know and loathe. The men will all come back. None of them seem engaged elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 83December 23, 2020 3:42 AM

Vanessa Williams is too fat for Samantha now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84December 23, 2020 3:46 AM

I hope its a big hit. I cannot stand ppl who hold grudges under the guise of something else. We all know what this is about. Cattrall is bitter that Darren Star didn't invent S&C a decade earlier and she could have starred as Carrie. Cattrall has always been jealous of SJP, and passively aggressive gaslighted her into thinking it was because SJP was insensitive about a tragedy. Fuck her.

by Anonymousreply 85December 23, 2020 3:47 AM

Interesting, R85. I like Kim Cattrall and do think she was a big reason that the old show was such a success; however, to your point, I've never understood why so many people seemed to automatically conclude that SJP was the villain in their reportedly fraught relationship. I've heard (from someone who worked on the set of the original series) that they were both actually "nice" people (their word) who definitely had differences but no report that SJP was a monster. I've even heard stories that it was sort of a Bob Denver/Tina Louise situation with a supporting actor who felt she should be treated more as the star of the show instead of just as a co-star and that was also a big part of the problem.

Perhaps SJP really was terrible on set and perhaps she wasn't. Just saying we really don't know for sure.

by Anonymousreply 86December 23, 2020 3:52 AM

I think they need some fresh blood. I don't really want to see some 60yo grandma's sex antics. What about Sarah Michelle Gellar? She's early/mid 40s, hot and was already a guest star on the show.

by Anonymousreply 87December 23, 2020 3:59 AM

I’m torn between Brooke and Joyce as Samantha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88December 23, 2020 4:06 AM

Easy then, Samantha dies from the breast cancer and is replaced by ............?

by Anonymousreply 89December 23, 2020 4:11 AM

It's weird to think that if they were rebooting now with actresses the same age as the original four were when the show began, they'd be looking at actresses like SMG, Alicia Silverstone, and Alyssa Milano for the Samantha role and ones like Aubrey Plaza, Zoe Kravitz, Jameela Jamil, Leighton Meester, and Alison Brie for the younger four. When did everybody get so old?

by Anonymousreply 90December 23, 2020 4:11 AM

o dear lord....they cancel donkeys dont they???

by Anonymousreply 91December 23, 2020 4:16 AM

Ha R88! SJP looks like Brooke's annoying pipsqueak little eight-year old sister in that picture. She's actually a year older than Brooke.

by Anonymousreply 92December 23, 2020 4:28 AM

I understand Kim's alleged resentment towards SATC and SJP. She gave a lot to this show. She did the most nudity whereas SJP did none (eventhough it was a show about sex). Kim was a big reason for the show's popularity, yet she probably never received the compensation she deserved, while SJP git an EP credit and a higher paycheck. I can see why Kim is over it.

by Anonymousreply 93December 23, 2020 4:38 AM

Brooke and SJP were born in the same year. SJP is 3 months older.

by Anonymousreply 94December 23, 2020 4:39 AM

SATC is of another era, and they're all too fucking old now.

by Anonymousreply 95December 23, 2020 4:54 AM

Who the fuck wants to see this?

by Anonymousreply 96December 23, 2020 4:58 AM

Sjp is so fucking old, she looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 97December 23, 2020 4:59 AM

Brendad Ickson IS Nu-Samantha Jones!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 23, 2020 5:03 AM

I am available to play the young Charlotte in flashback scenes.

by Anonymousreply 99December 23, 2020 5:08 AM

[quote]When did everybody get so old?

No shit! I was a pretty young twink fresh out of college when SATC started. I am now the same age Kim Cattrall was when SATC began. Where did the fucking time go?

by Anonymousreply 100December 23, 2020 5:09 AM

Bring back Valerie Cherish

by Anonymousreply 101December 23, 2020 5:18 AM

Is SJP crazy?

by Anonymousreply 102December 23, 2020 5:34 AM

All of you people who think Morgan Fairchild (who's 70, btw) would be a good choice have clearly not seen her since her multiple plastic surgeries.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103December 23, 2020 5:34 AM

Is she mentally ill?, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 104December 23, 2020 5:34 AM

We STILL have great stories to tell!

America's young women and gays want to know all about what sex is like for extremely materialistic women post-menopause!

by Anonymousreply 105December 23, 2020 5:37 AM

Am I the only one who feel a little depressed after watching this reboots with aging actors who were once attractive?

I always laugh when DL start calling some posters PRs, but seriouly SJP is 44 years old and the true star of SATC? Nobody believes that crap.

by Anonymousreply 106December 23, 2020 5:38 AM

Guys seriously?! 100+ posts and no one thought of the most obvious replacement - Kristy Swanson!

by Anonymousreply 107December 23, 2020 5:55 AM

I'm revved up to shing and danshe again, hopefully to another Beyonshé hit shingle!

by Anonymousreply 108December 23, 2020 5:59 AM

disgusting that old horseface wants to milk that dead horse of a show....ive tried to watch the series but her face makes me grab the puke bucket, AND THAT VOICE.

by Anonymousreply 109December 23, 2020 6:00 AM

Is SJP only 44 ? I thought she is 50+

by Anonymousreply 110December 23, 2020 6:16 AM

She is, R110. She's 55.

by Anonymousreply 111December 23, 2020 6:34 AM

How about a Samantha-*only* series?

by Anonymousreply 112December 23, 2020 6:39 AM

Jennifer Coolidge would have to lose 50 pounds first, R45.

by Anonymousreply 113December 23, 2020 6:53 AM

I loved the show back in the day but it hasn't aged well. They all come off as vacuous vicious over priviliged cunts, especially Carrie. The characters seem very unlikeable now.

And, why would Kim Cattrall be bitter or jealous? She's had a great career...arguably, the best of the four actresses. She's worked steadily in the business as a mid level star for 40 years and still gets cast in good projects on both sides of the Atlantic.

Meanwhile, what has SJP done other than a couple of series no one watched?

Nixon mainly does stage and it's obvious why the other one wants a reboot...she needs a job.

I just remembered her name...Kristin Davis! Who has done nothing of importance.

by Anonymousreply 114December 23, 2020 7:10 AM

Charlotte's husband could come out as a trans woman. Charlotte could spend the entire series agonizing over whether to stay with xim/xer/them or not and whether she would be a lesbian if she did.

Miranda will be the SJW stand-in who will lecture Charlotte.

by Anonymousreply 115December 23, 2020 8:05 AM

No r110, someone tried to say she was 44, hopefully as a joke. She hasn't even looked 44 since she was 35.

by Anonymousreply 116December 23, 2020 8:10 AM

It's ironic that this old horse keeps trying to kick life into the dead horse carcass that is Sex and the City.

by Anonymousreply 117December 23, 2020 8:12 AM

not a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 118December 23, 2020 8:13 AM

Let’s open with Samantha’s memorial where’s revealed that she died after being fucked by a horse.

by Anonymousreply 119December 23, 2020 8:33 AM

This will be an unmitigated disaster.

The time that was right for Sex and the City has long since passed and we now see it for what it was and what it produced. It hasn't aged well.

by Anonymousreply 120December 23, 2020 8:38 AM

It has aged so poorly. We don't need this. The story is over.

by Anonymousreply 121December 23, 2020 8:48 AM

These bitches already in their 50s. More like Sag and the City.

by Anonymousreply 122December 23, 2020 8:53 AM

Agree with everyone who says the show has dated terribly. I rewatched some episodes recently and couldn't believe I'd ever been so into it as I was back in the day.

[quote]And, why would Kim Cattrall be bitter or jealous? She's had a great career...arguably, the best of the four actresses. She's worked steadily in the business as a mid level star for 40 years and still gets cast in good projects on both sides of the Atlantic.

Agreed. She's also in the position where she gets to pick and choose roles based on what interests her, which not every actor gets to do. Honestly, it feels like the original issue for her in coming back to SatC was that she had played Samantha as far as she could go and there was nothing left in that character, and instead she wanted to spend her time playing different characters. The dust up between SJP and her seemed to spring up more after SJP started making underhand comments in public about Cattrall, trying to shame her into saying yes to the third movie, something that had happened before either the first or second movie too.

by Anonymousreply 123December 23, 2020 8:56 AM

I still watch the reruns in marathon form and enjoy them, it's comforting.

And hell yeah I will watch this too, as will all you objecting bitches who will actually be there with popcorn

by Anonymousreply 124December 23, 2020 9:05 AM

R87 may as well have SMG be a lesbian.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125December 23, 2020 9:18 AM

R9 It should be triracial, immigrant, and considering the transition FTM but then she realized she's a non binary asexual being and its destiny is being a Buddhist monk.

by Anonymousreply 126December 23, 2020 9:27 AM

R74 How can she play Samantha's mother? They are the same age. Maybe Holland Taylor could play Samantha's mother and reprise her role from Two and a half men, as a slutty bisexual granny

by Anonymousreply 127December 23, 2020 9:27 AM

Ugh I hate the OP photo - “our mouths are open, we’re laughing our asses off, life is a party, we’re so wacky and fun!”

by Anonymousreply 128December 23, 2020 10:21 AM

Carrie's entire persona was like that: "I'm just so wacky! Don't you just [italic]love[/italic] me?"

by Anonymousreply 129December 23, 2020 10:25 AM

Where would any of them be today without SATC? Cynthia would work primarily on stage with an occasional movie or tv role, SJP would continue to play quirky supporting roles in indie’s and would live in Brooklyn, Kim would be on her 7th Porky’s reboot and Kristen might pop up on Law and Order now and then.

by Anonymousreply 130December 23, 2020 10:39 AM

Well R128 - that's exactly what a season 7 reboot will be like. 24/7 of that shit.

by Anonymousreply 131December 23, 2020 10:42 AM

They can't have a black or Hispanic Samantha because some SJWs would then scream that black women and Latinas are already over-sexualized in popular media and to cast a minority actress, especially one over the age of 55, as the sexpot Samantha would be racial and sexual stereotyping.

Not to mention all the other gripes over why a black woman always hangs out with three white women, why her life seems to revolve around these white women, yada yada yada.

by Anonymousreply 132December 23, 2020 10:50 AM

Sex and the Aged Care Facility coming to HBO in 2021!

by Anonymousreply 133December 23, 2020 10:56 AM

It's revealed in the opening scenes that Samantha and Big have fallen in love with each other, betrayed Carrie, and run off together. He dies.

That gets rid of both of them without the necessity of casting them and lends a story arc to whatever other stupid nonsense they come up with.

by Anonymousreply 134December 23, 2020 10:56 AM

I suspect IF they have Samantha back, it'll be for one episode then kill her off in a freak accident. Then the final season is of the other 3 trying to cope with her death and their failing relationships and then maybe they can introduce a woman of colour into the fold to be a replacement

by Anonymousreply 135December 23, 2020 11:01 AM

Oh! I just had an epiphany!

After his funeral, Carrie is musing to Charlotte and Miranda about what to do with her "Big" inheritance. She decides to open her own shoe store! A ploy for SJP to sell shoes in real life to all the silly fraus who will froth over the reboot and flock to NYC to buy shoes from "Carrie's shoe shop" - squee!

by Anonymousreply 136December 23, 2020 11:02 AM

Samantha MUST be played by a Trans Woman Of Color!

by Anonymousreply 137December 23, 2020 11:04 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t even ask Kim to come back. Too much bad blood. They don’t need her for a limited series. Killing her off would be a major fuck you to Kim.

by Anonymousreply 138December 23, 2020 11:18 AM

***** BREAKING COUZE*****

They just nailed down Angela Landsbury for Samantha!

by Anonymousreply 139December 23, 2020 11:44 AM

As much as people complain about it, it will be a hit. People will tune in.

by Anonymousreply 140December 23, 2020 11:49 AM

How about a story line where one of the cast members decides to pursue a career in politics? Maybe she could run for governor of New York State and she hires Carrie to be her stylist.

Another story line could be where Mr. Big cheats on Carrie, then misleads her and she finds out. Carrie becomes devastated that having misled and cheated on Aiden, the man she cheated with would cheat on her and mislead her after she cheated.

by Anonymousreply 141December 23, 2020 11:56 AM

If she wanted Kim to be forever loyal, maybe SJP should have done what the main Big Bang stars did when they gave us some of their money so a couple of their co-stars could make bank in the final seasons.

Instead, she took what she could get and didn’t look out for anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 142December 23, 2020 12:03 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143December 23, 2020 12:05 PM

Who is really dying to see this?

Can't we just offload SJP to the flu factory for fuck's sake?

by Anonymousreply 144December 23, 2020 12:11 PM

Who is up for watching 4 blown out tires going one more for the road?

by Anonymousreply 145December 23, 2020 12:14 PM

Kim was never a cultural icon like SJP.

Every Gift, ONLY GAP!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 146December 23, 2020 12:17 PM

Kill off Kim and bring on a new character. A younger Millennial slut.

by Anonymousreply 147December 23, 2020 12:17 PM

Will they continue the horrible motif of Stanford and Mario Cantone being married?

by Anonymousreply 148December 23, 2020 12:21 PM

Christina Aguilera was born to play SaMANtha.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149December 23, 2020 12:22 PM

This poor girl's grasp on Carrie Bradshaw is worse than G's death roll with Norma Desmond.

by Anonymousreply 150December 23, 2020 12:31 PM

[quote]The new fourth woman doesn't have to be related to Sam in any way, but she'll have to bring that manic sexual energy and knowing humor that Cattrall always brought to the group.

R73=MARY!

[quote]knowing humor

Christ on a crutch.

by Anonymousreply 151December 23, 2020 12:35 PM

I'm sure Amanda Lepore would be a great Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 152December 23, 2020 1:04 PM

One season wonder (for the slaughter it receives.) This is like Carol Channing clinging to Hello, Dolly! Sure, it reminds you of something, but it reminds you of something else, too, and your nose wrinkles as a result.

The first seasons were good, different, inventive. The balance of the seasons found their stride as a comedy, not what it was but there was worse ran longer, although Carrie Bradshaw went free range in the process turned into somebody nobody liked, though she was an effective human shopping channel.

The movies were Michael Patrick King gone free range. The first recycled the series with a bigger budget. The second - words still fail most of us but take your pick from synonym for burlesque.

So am skeptical they can revive this show to produce anything worth the effort or with legs to last. Nobody even yet understands the zeitgeist post COVID but it won't be Patricia Field throwing a seizure and calling it clothes. Maybe if Darren Star drives the bus... it was his baby when it worked.

Like the obese Sunset Blvd. killed the massive set mega musical, this may be (finally) the death of the reboot.

by Anonymousreply 153December 23, 2020 1:07 PM

I'm available and my powers of reboot are legend.

by Anonymousreply 154December 23, 2020 1:07 PM

Sad thing is the last episode was close to twenty years ago and it can still rile.

by Anonymousreply 155December 23, 2020 1:14 PM

2004 wasn't close to 20 years ago

by Anonymousreply 156December 23, 2020 1:17 PM

2021 - (February) 2004 = 17

by Anonymousreply 157December 23, 2020 1:19 PM

Yeah, you're not helping your case

by Anonymousreply 158December 23, 2020 1:23 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159December 23, 2020 1:31 PM

Hey! I’m available! And I was in the first movie!

by Anonymousreply 160December 23, 2020 1:33 PM

I'm available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161December 23, 2020 1:36 PM

Stone would be great, but no way is SJP letting her near this. Stone still looks fantastic and has charisma for days. She would completely overshadow SJP.

by Anonymousreply 162December 23, 2020 1:42 PM

Madonna can replace Kim Cattrall!

by Anonymousreply 163December 23, 2020 1:42 PM

R143 she said NO such thing

by Anonymousreply 164December 23, 2020 1:59 PM

Samantha will be dead from metastatic Breast cancer. Mister Big will have transitioned to Madame Grande. Steve will reveal himself as a Republican. Carrie will go into the shoe business and open a fabulous Boutique. A little cross advertising can’t hurt.

by Anonymousreply 165December 23, 2020 2:00 PM

Every one of these reboots are vanity projects. Not one of them came close to the charm of the original. W&G had its moments but typically they fail and yet the studios continue to green light them. SJP is a one note actress. She keeps going back to well. Lord help us.

by Anonymousreply 166December 23, 2020 2:03 PM

[quote] [R143] she said NO such thing

Uh, did you read the fucking article with the fucking quotes you fucking ignoramus?

by Anonymousreply 167December 23, 2020 2:05 PM

The new Samantha will HAVE TO BE SOMEWHAT MENTAL!

There should be no skimping when replacing that glorious nutcase!

by Anonymousreply 168December 23, 2020 2:11 PM

Kim did NOT come off well when she attacked SJP for daring to give her condolences over the death of her brother. Everyone has an experience giving their condolences to someone (even to someone they don't particularly like but it's the thing you do) and can just imagine the humiliation if the recipient had flipped out in public over it and caused a scene like Kim. Obviously mental illness runs in Kim's family. First in her brother who offed himself and second in Kim who can't handle that she's now alone in the world (no parents, no brother, no kids, no man).

by Anonymousreply 169December 23, 2020 2:15 PM

It will be about pluckiness after a trauma and will be insufferable. I detest SJP's fake "cool glamorous city gal on the sidewalk" identity and it seems almost the entirety of her artistry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170December 23, 2020 2:15 PM

This shows always come back unwelcome, just like Samantha's herpes.

by Anonymousreply 171December 23, 2020 2:24 PM

R170 That’s kind of what I like about her. And that picture is awesome 👏🏻 😎

by Anonymousreply 172December 23, 2020 2:25 PM

Sjp’s PR has entered the chat.

Either way that three foot tall frizzy haired ball of greed will make sure every frame of this monstrosity will be sponsored by every designer out there (despite the fact that actual cool designers probably won’t want to be associated with the show) and she will take everything that isn’t nailed down after they wrap.

The greed of that woman is breathtaking.

by Anonymousreply 173December 23, 2020 2:27 PM

I can play white.

by Anonymousreply 174December 23, 2020 2:33 PM

R161 I actually think this would be must-see TV.

The original series seems tame now, but it was considered groundbreaking at the time. It talked about subjects that other TV shows just didn’t.

If they want to be groundbreaking again now, they can’t just do the same material they did 20 years ago. They need to cast Caitlyn Jenner and honestly portray the sex life of a 70 year old transwoman.

I’m dead serious! I think it would be brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 175December 23, 2020 2:38 PM

I think opening the series with Samantha having transitioned a few years prior is brilliant, they would just need to find a trans man actress.

by Anonymousreply 176December 23, 2020 2:40 PM

I truthfully think the DL should be tasked to pick the perfect Samantha.

1st and foremost: a complete total slut in real life.

2) Juliette Lewis or Winona Ryder grade issues or

3) a real man tranny but very very funny, not saddled with wokeness.(it’s a comedy 1st, for christsakes)

by Anonymousreply 177December 23, 2020 2:47 PM

This is sad. Is she not getting any other offers?

by Anonymousreply 178December 23, 2020 2:49 PM

[quote] that three foot tall frizzy haired ball of greed

R173 Why don't you just call her what you want to call her? A Jew.

by Anonymousreply 179December 23, 2020 2:50 PM

i will watch it. And there seems to be a huge interest in it just from the many replies this thread got in less than a day.

by Anonymousreply 180December 23, 2020 2:50 PM

II think it should be about them going on holiday to Greece but they become wrapped up in the terrible situation of the refugee camps, and Carrie goes to G12 meeting in Paris to try to convince some VIP men to really solve the problem once and for all, but she falls for a middle-eastern arms dealer who tells her he is an environmental engineer and head of an enormous family foundation that does development work (played by Dhafer L'Abidine), but he's a deadly gangster. When Carrie realises the truth, she plots with the other gals to dismantle world arms smuggling, base on L'Abindine giant super-yacht, docked off the greek island refugee camp.

by Anonymousreply 181December 23, 2020 2:50 PM

They could always incorporate Kristin's real life interest in refugees and have Charlotte infiltrate and break up a prostitution ring of foreign whores in Abu Dhabi (a nice nod to the last movie) where they find Samantha's secret daughter played by Lindsay Lohan.

by Anonymousreply 182December 23, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote]As much as people complain about it, it will be a hit. People will tune in.

People will tune in, in droves, many of them simply out of curiosity. But if the reboot is a dog, even the most faithful viewers won't stay with it.

A lot of people think SJP and her "brand" are always money in the bank, but it's not true. Remember DIVORCE? 3 miserable seasons worth, with ratings sinking week after week. Remember SJP's film career? (Actually, better you don't.) SATC's fanbase skews older (younger women in particular reject SATC) and if the reboot messes with the formula, those viewers will be gone forever.

by Anonymousreply 183December 23, 2020 3:07 PM

R183 So how would this be any different to the Will & Grace and Murphy Brown updates? Both shows shit on the legacies of the originals and Debra and Eric got exposed as list-making McCarthy cunts in the process.

by Anonymousreply 184December 23, 2020 3:12 PM

I respect Kim for knowing when enough is enough. She’ll be heading towards 70 when this reaches the screen. An unevolved 70 year-old Samantha Jones would be rather grotesque and sad, and a 70 year old Smantha Jones acting her age would be unrecognizable.

I can’t imagine many people are desperately waiting to see SJP traipsing around New York in one of her tutu dresses again. It think the hideous films (and the OTT product placement) killed whatever cachet the series had.

by Anonymousreply 185December 23, 2020 3:15 PM

the movie was terrible and yet they think it's a good idea to continue?

by Anonymousreply 186December 23, 2020 3:16 PM

Everything about SATC has aged badly and in such a short time too. Even during the last couple of seasons during its run, SATC was already creaky. The characters were already too old to be wallowing in the dilemmas that they were going through, particularly Carrie. It was the reason why the show Girls came on the scene, so I guess Lens should thank SATC for her short stint as tv star.

Back to how dated SATC is, everything from Carrie’s try-too-hard wardrobe, trends (cupcake anyone?), Mr.Big finance/ business-type characters as THE coveted husband material, complaining about drudgery of living in great apartment paid for by job that consists of going to parties/ gallery openings and writing about it, so on and so forth. The movies were even worse, a bunch of Karens in the making if we’re to view it today.

by Anonymousreply 187December 23, 2020 3:18 PM

[quote]So how would this be any different to the Will & Grace and Murphy Brown updates?

Well, MURPHY BROWN was an abject failure as a reboot. One could argue that the W&G reboot was a success, but as you said, it shat on its own legacy and was pretty dreadful stuff by the time it ended.

These things almost never work: AB FAB shouldn't have rebooted, THE COMEBACK shouldn't have. This SATC reboot is more about greed than anything else.

by Anonymousreply 188December 23, 2020 3:22 PM

I simply don't see how this doesn't fit the current zeitgeist!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189December 23, 2020 3:24 PM

Watch for them to make an offer to Kim Cattrell and for her to take it....

by Anonymousreply 190December 23, 2020 3:26 PM

The "Karen" phenomenon is worth mentioning.

Post-Trump, loud entitled white women--particularly middle-aged, materialistic white women--are pretty much poison in popular culture. (Unless they're savagely satirizing themselves.)

The timing could not be worse for this project.

by Anonymousreply 191December 23, 2020 3:26 PM

I throughly disagree about The Comeback. The second season was equal and was as rich as the first. And the ending was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 192December 23, 2020 3:28 PM

Well, for one thing r189, the whore on the sign isn't wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 193December 23, 2020 3:29 PM

The 3 episodes of Abfab in 2012 were uneven. Good not great. The movie was dreadful.

by Anonymousreply 194December 23, 2020 3:29 PM

Comparing Girls and SATC was and is wrong. They were no where near the same show.

by Anonymousreply 195December 23, 2020 3:31 PM

No one wants to watch a show with a bunch of 65 year old women talking about sex

by Anonymousreply 196December 23, 2020 3:33 PM

I dunno r196, Golden Girls seems to have been popular in a few households.

by Anonymousreply 197December 23, 2020 3:37 PM

Sharon Stone said on WWHL recently that she thought the role of Samantha should be given to a black actress. It looks like that's most likely to happen.

by Anonymousreply 198December 23, 2020 3:38 PM

They’ll probably feature a tranny too

by Anonymousreply 199December 23, 2020 3:41 PM

They should hire one of the Kardashians. Which one is the oldest one?

by Anonymousreply 200December 23, 2020 3:42 PM

Just cast Dominique Jackson and get it over with. Not as Samantha. Kill Samantha off like they killed off Chef on South Park. Make her death a statement. Hire Dominique to play a new character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201December 23, 2020 3:43 PM

R201 You think Ryan Murphy and Billy Porter would let her do that? Nah.

by Anonymousreply 202December 23, 2020 3:44 PM

R202 Why couldn't she do it? Are Ryan and Billy her slave masters? She has to get permission to squeeze in another gig while Billy and Ryan have multiple jobs going at any given time?

by Anonymousreply 203December 23, 2020 3:47 PM

SATC was a late nineties-early aughts phenomenon. It worked because of the dating disconnect and social scenes that existed, in that time but it has not aged well, if you watch it now. To do a 7th season is a mistake... no one wants to see SATC in the country or burbs or with old, filled faces (much like they didn't want to see I Love Lucy in Connecticut - show killer).

by Anonymousreply 204December 23, 2020 3:48 PM

SJP would not stand to be outglammed by Dominique Jackson's eleganza.

by Anonymousreply 205December 23, 2020 3:49 PM

SJP, the pasture is calling. Just go...

by Anonymousreply 206December 23, 2020 3:49 PM

R179 why don’t you project more? I have no clue what religion she follows.

All I know about her is that there’s no amount of money, attention and praise that will fill whatever emptiness she has.

by Anonymousreply 207December 23, 2020 3:49 PM

R207 You trotted out everything but the hooked nose. Don't play innocent.

by Anonymousreply 208December 23, 2020 3:52 PM

It creeps me out that some of you actually want the third movie to happen.

You're trying to hold on to your youth like these old hags are. Let it go.

by Anonymousreply 209December 23, 2020 3:56 PM

I wasn't ever a fan of this, but I recognize that it portrayed women in a fresh way (at the time) and that women saw themselves in the characters.

But it was past its sell by date before even the final season - let alone the movies.

I wonder if HBO Max is pushing for this in the same way that the Friends reunion was pushed for - as a promotional/recruiting new customers tool.

But if it's more of Carrie chasing a man.....I mean, what stone is there left to unearth?

by Anonymousreply 210December 23, 2020 3:57 PM

Annoying and narcissistic as Single Gal Carrie was throughout the show, Married Carrie in the second movie was shockingly dull. No there there at all.

by Anonymousreply 211December 23, 2020 4:00 PM

Too bad Kim isn't in it...her character represented the sexually liberated urban woman better than the others, who still defined themselves by what man they were with. Save for Miranda, but she was such a cunt, don't know why any men wanted to hook up with her.

by Anonymousreply 212December 23, 2020 4:03 PM

I hope they make it with or without Kim C. But if she isn’t in it, they shouldn’t recast her. Add a different character(s). The 2nd Movie was so awful. They need to redeem themselves.

by Anonymousreply 213December 23, 2020 4:06 PM

Times change. Women having sexual agency (the freedom to fuck like men, w/o consequence) and their own money and careers--none of this is that revolutionary anymore, particularly to younger viewers.

If the reboot isn't about sexual misadventures (seeing as the remaining 3 are all partnered)... what the hell is it going to be about?

by Anonymousreply 214December 23, 2020 4:13 PM

As a woman, I think it has potential IF they deal with how women’s wants/needs change in our 50s. Menopause really kills sexual desire, which at first is sad but then liberating. You’re no longer driven by your hormones and can focus on things that you’re interested in. That’s why most women get happier/mellow with age.

Also, you don’t make a lot of new friends as you get older. So maintaining those friendships is organic, though you don’t see each other nearly as much as you used to because you have families, careers, etc.

Also, if I were black, I’d be insulted if they just stuffed a black character in. Felt that’s what they did with Jennifer Hudson in SATC movie 1. Sainted assistant to Carrie.

Anyway, I think it has potential. I always thought it would be interesting to explore more about their early family life. Carrie’s seemed pretty troubled. The episode where Miranda’s mom died was truly terrific.

by Anonymousreply 215December 23, 2020 4:17 PM

shoes and cocktails. duh

by Anonymousreply 216December 23, 2020 4:17 PM

Have Miranda forced out of her own law firm, then develop a drinking problem.

Carrie suffers BMD (bone mineral density) loss after menopause.

Charlotte gets fat.

by Anonymousreply 217December 23, 2020 4:29 PM

This has been a horrible misguided idea from the start.

But if it takes quickly shooting a couple of cheap shows to be dumped onto HBOMax, then immediately forgotten, to get SJP to shut up about this and move on - I'd be for it

by Anonymousreply 218December 23, 2020 4:32 PM

[quote]I respect Kim for knowing when enough is enough.

Same here. So many of them don't know when to quit and keep playing the same character when they're far too old for it, the time has passed, and it looks ridiculous. Or musicians who are older but are still up on stage acting like they're still 25. Kim knew when it was over, and moved on.

by Anonymousreply 219December 23, 2020 4:52 PM

r188 I have to disagree with you about The Comeback. The second season was just as good as the first.

by Anonymousreply 220December 23, 2020 5:02 PM

If the new character has to be trans they can tie it back to the original series and hire one of the pre-op tranny bookers who throws an egg at Samantha.

Some of that old dialog would make SJWs explode with fury, especially if they include flashbacks of Samantha referring to them as "chicks with dicks, boobs on top balls down below."

by Anonymousreply 221December 23, 2020 5:13 PM

*tranny hookers, not tranny bookers.

The kind "pseudo-straight married men from New Jersey need to get laid" with, according to Samantha.

by Anonymousreply 222December 23, 2020 5:16 PM

I'm sure Holiday 2008 Gap model, Jennifer Hudson, would be thrilled to return to the franchise!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223December 23, 2020 5:19 PM

I think R215 has a point. A six or eight episode series where the girls really take a look at themselves and how their lives have changed now that old age is approaching would be interesting. A widowed Carrie wondering if life has another soulmate in store, a divorced Miranda letting go of the bitterness of the past, Charlotte seeing yet another monkey wrench thrown into her 'perfect' life and then learning to accept a trans kid, Samantha facing a wealthy but lonely retirement and wondering if this is all there is? Have great fashions but tone down the abject consumerism and constant product placement, FINALLY let the characters grow and change, and it could be a fitting coda to the series. End it with the four girls at a diner once again, older, wiser, and realizing that as they head into old age, the men will fall away and they will be depending on each other more than ever (cue 'thank you for being a friend' music).

It could work, but it wouldn't be the SATC of the past. And that would be for the best. Nobody needs a fiftysomething manic pixie dream girl Carrie and her slutty ass friends.

by Anonymousreply 224December 23, 2020 5:35 PM

Having Samantha redefine herself as something other than a sex object might tempt Kim back to the series. The proposed third movie plot that had teenage Brady sexting menopausal Samantha was ludicrous, and I don't blame Kim for not wanting any part of it.

by Anonymousreply 225December 23, 2020 5:37 PM

What is it with Delta Burke's weird man jaw? Bethenny Frankel ALSO has/had it. I'm biologically male, and don't have a wide jaw like that.

by Anonymousreply 226December 23, 2020 5:51 PM

Morgan Fairchild would be a bad choice to become Samantha because of the height discrepancy. Morgan is 5'4" and Kim is 5'7"

by Anonymousreply 227December 23, 2020 5:56 PM

Vanessa Williams.

by Anonymousreply 228December 23, 2020 6:02 PM

I'll do it! When it comes to characters my only limit is your imagination!

by Anonymousreply 229December 23, 2020 6:03 PM

[quote]SJP, the pasture is calling. Just go...

The glue factory, surely.

by Anonymousreply 230December 23, 2020 6:03 PM

[quote]an hour ago If the new character has to be trans they can tie it back to the original series and hire one of the pre-op tranny hookers who throws an egg at Samantha.

They would all be dead by now.

by Anonymousreply 231December 23, 2020 6:04 PM

There really is only one Samantha and to recast it would steal focus from the whole thing. In all our lives, important people have moved on and left our lives. It isn't really that big of a hill to climb. The story is there. Samantha moved. Samantha is dead. Or Samantha had a huge fall out with Carrie and refuses have anything to do with her and is still fucking merrily away in the Meat Packing District.

Just one thing... give it to a funny female team of writers. They're out there.

by Anonymousreply 232December 23, 2020 6:09 PM

There's only one dame out there could pick up where that awesome bitch Cattrall left off... she was a legend and it takes one to play one.

by Anonymousreply 233December 23, 2020 6:11 PM

It is inconceivable that season 7 would not have a person of color in a major role. All white casts are a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 234December 23, 2020 6:25 PM

Thus, Holiday 2008 Gap model, Jennifer Hudson, should reprise her role from the SATC film of that same year!

Every Gift, Only Gap!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235December 23, 2020 6:32 PM

r234 the world that SATC is set in is a very, very white world.

by Anonymousreply 236December 23, 2020 6:36 PM

It's not anymore, R236.

by Anonymousreply 237December 23, 2020 6:38 PM

It still is in many ways r237.

by Anonymousreply 238December 23, 2020 6:39 PM

Nah, R224. Just ship them off to Florida to a big house with a lanai.

by Anonymousreply 239December 23, 2020 7:23 PM

R238 You are missing the point.

Surely, the court of George III was rather white, no?

No more - in the Netflix drama Bridgerton, Queen Charlotte is played by a black actress. and one of the main characters is a wealthy black duke.

Likewise, a new Tudor drama features a black Anne Boleyn.

You can be sure there will be a person of color in a major role in Season 7.

by Anonymousreply 240December 23, 2020 7:27 PM

SATC is not the BBC r240. If they're going to do it, they're going to stick with the familiar formula. To make it woke would be to turn off its core audience.

by Anonymousreply 241December 23, 2020 7:28 PM

Yes I know the BBC didn't produce those shows, but you know what I mean.

by Anonymousreply 242December 23, 2020 7:29 PM

As I said in the previous thread: Samantha is now imprisoned for underage sex with ginger Brady Brady (hideous plot from scrapped third movie).

She is seen from afar in a newsflash on the prison roof leading a protest over the right for single prisoners to have conjugal visits. She trips on a banner and goes splat!

The "girls" spend the season getting over their guilt of reporting and abandoning her.

by Anonymousreply 243December 23, 2020 8:30 PM

The trans plot could be about Charlotte's pet bitch, Liz Taylor, who decides that she is a they/xe and will henceforth be known as Dick Burton. (Yeah, I know Liz/Dick would be 3000 in dog years by now, but the script writers for this shit show aren't likely to worry about that sort of thing.)

by Anonymousreply 244December 23, 2020 8:54 PM

They shoot horses, don't they?

by Anonymousreply 245December 23, 2020 10:12 PM

They already did additional seasons without Samantha. It was called Divorce. It's pretty much what would have happened when they all moved to the burbs.

by Anonymousreply 246December 23, 2020 10:17 PM

Samantha needs a Rhett Butler moment.... at the end of GWTW he isn't sorry for anything he's done or how he's lived, but he's weary of it.

Samantha should fall head over heels, monogamously in love and stun even herself.

Kim might actually play that. But, yeah, Samantha's banging days need to be over. She was too in control of herself to make a fool of herself.

by Anonymousreply 247December 24, 2020 12:56 PM

It's hard to think that these women are the same age as say, Zoe Kravitz and Aubrey Plaza only because all of the SATC actresses were/are so homely in their own way. Even Charlotte the pretty one had a funny face and frumpy body from the waist down

by Anonymousreply 248December 30, 2020 6:54 AM

[italic]Connie Stevens as Samantha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249December 30, 2020 7:09 AM

I liked SATC and I have no desire to see this.

by Anonymousreply 250December 30, 2020 7:59 AM

"I will NOT be ignored, Sam."

[Friz haired Carrie says this to Miranda and Charlotte as a joke in season 7 when they're talking about her absence.]

by Anonymousreply 251December 30, 2020 8:02 AM

I want Amalita Amalfi to come back - she can be the new sexual "bad" one.

by Anonymousreply 252December 30, 2020 8:09 AM

Is there a role for a Spanish friend?

by Anonymousreply 253December 30, 2020 8:13 AM

Win-win. Cast Madonna as the new blonde aging "bad" friend. SATC wants to be relevant, Madonna is desperate for attention.

by Anonymousreply 254December 30, 2020 8:15 AM

So have they cast Sharon Stone yet???

by Anonymousreply 255December 30, 2020 8:15 AM

Samantha was the best character, but I don't think she was the heart of the show.

by Anonymousreply 256December 30, 2020 8:22 AM

Take Sam/the fourth woman in a different direction - Have Sarah Paulson play an odd, dark, somewhat disturbing character.

by Anonymousreply 257December 30, 2020 8:33 AM

SJP will never consent to signing on Madonna or Sharon Stone. They are bigger names and have more star quality than she does. She won't be able to dictate terms to them and remain the sole star of the show with either of them around.

SJP was able to get away with screwing Kim over because Cattrall was a struggling B or C-list actress before SATC revived her career.

by Anonymousreply 258December 30, 2020 8:49 AM

Revival confirmed. Kim Cattrall not returning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259January 10, 2021 10:16 PM

ABORT! ABORT!

by Anonymousreply 260January 10, 2021 10:27 PM

Carrie will be the same age - 53 - that Blanche was at the start of Golden Girls.

by Anonymousreply 261January 11, 2021 7:28 PM

Stone is a diva and that is certainly not what the cast wants, having endured Kim. What about the scripts, what are these aging actresses going to talk about, their incontinence problems, dating problems and rest assured the men will all be much, much younger.

by Anonymousreply 262January 11, 2021 7:39 PM

Michael Patrick King will destroy what little hope this thing has. He dreamt up the road show to the Middle East after all.

by Anonymousreply 263January 11, 2021 7:42 PM

Actually I take it back. Who better to write about the angst and pointlessness of three shallow, over the hill women than a late middle aged gay man who produces budget television.

by Anonymousreply 264January 11, 2021 7:44 PM

The Daily Maul reporting the Kaitlyn is top of the list for cameo wish fors.

by Anonymousreply 265January 17, 2021 1:11 PM

Nothing I'd rather see than a bunch of 60-somethings exploring their sexuality.

by Anonymousreply 266January 17, 2021 1:14 PM

It's well known that Streep regards Kaitlyn as her only true peer.

by Anonymousreply 267January 17, 2021 1:36 PM

Kaitlyn who?

by Anonymousreply 268January 17, 2021 2:27 PM

A riotous comedy turned searing drama could be crafted from quarantining the four original actresses together.

Maybe Cattrall could be talked into that? I’d watch.

by Anonymousreply 269January 17, 2021 2:47 PM

Here's what I am hoping what they will do but I am sure it won't happen given that Darren Starr is not involved. Go back to Season 1 SATC. Make it grittier. A story centered around Miranda, Carrie and Charlotte would work if done right.

by Anonymousreply 270January 17, 2021 2:54 PM

[quote]R215 Also, if I were black, I’d be insulted if they just stuffed a black character in.

You have no idea what you would feel if you were black. Let’s be honest.

by Anonymousreply 271January 17, 2021 2:55 PM

Kim is a good actress. She was good in Mannequin and everything else.

by Anonymousreply 272January 17, 2021 2:56 PM

Who gives s fuck about those old bags?

by Anonymousreply 273January 17, 2021 2:56 PM

it actually could work if they'd refocus it a bit - accept that they're in their 50s. I'm not saying no sex, just present it differently and maybe some of the wilder sex topics and stories can be presented through younger surrogates/side characters. And Carrie as corny as it might seem, I think Carrie could write about aging and sex/relationships. Have a column about your man checking out younger women, a column about "feeling" old. Not every episode, but just as a balance.

by Anonymousreply 274January 17, 2021 3:35 PM

They could call it "Sex and the City: Whistling Past the Glue Factory"

by Anonymousreply 275January 17, 2021 4:10 PM

I didn’t EVER want to see a fairy tale cunt in Monolo Blahniks. Fuck sjp the twee, tonedeaf anorexic hag. The original novel was a satire.

by Anonymousreply 276January 17, 2021 4:52 PM

No doubt one of the stories will be some 20-something hunk throwing himself at agelessly sexy Carrie Bradshaw.

by Anonymousreply 277January 17, 2021 4:54 PM

Sponsored by Gynomunal*

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278January 17, 2021 5:02 PM

Even the second movie had tough-as-old-leather Miranda allowing herself to be bullied and quit the job she worked years for

by Anonymousreply 279January 17, 2021 5:39 PM

SJP couldn't allow anyone better looking than her or more talented than her at this stage in her career. Maybe Matthew Broderick can talk her out of this.

by Anonymousreply 280January 17, 2021 7:25 PM

[quote] SJP couldn't allow anyone better looking than her or more talented than her at this stage in her career. Maybe Matthew Broderick can talk her out of this.

Maybe Matthew Broderick can join the cast as Samantha. Lord knows he's been fucked by at least as many men as she.

by Anonymousreply 281January 17, 2021 7:46 PM

They should just cast Vanessa Williams as Samantha and move on. But give Samantha the dignity of dialling it back. She was always in control.

by Anonymousreply 282January 17, 2021 9:48 PM

Carrie: "Ever since he's had Covid, Big has the funkiest tasting spunk."

Charlotte: "You mean. . .you . . .taste it?"

Carrue: "You don't?"

Charlotte: "Harry and I have a strict no-swallow rule. It's even in our pre-nup."

Miranda: "See? This is what I dont get. Men get COVID and then expect us to swallow their cum. Meanwhile, ask a man to eat you out and suddenly he has to get up early in the morning."

by Anonymousreply 283January 18, 2021 1:31 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284January 18, 2021 1:48 AM

This shit is sad, it's like when you watch star trek and they all start out young and by the last one the directors have to use long shots of the characters running to hide the fact it's a stunt double, as the actors need zimmer frames. Shows and movies need to know when to end. Gotta give it to Jackman he went out just as he couldnt fight aging anymore, rather than sticking at it and ending up like Patrick Stewart in Picard.

by Anonymousreply 285January 18, 2021 1:58 AM

Is this just media speculation or a PR campaign? Because it's feeling a little oversaturated already. I think it's strange how the last ten or twenty years have been so focused on rebooting and sequels and remaking the past. It's as if creativity - at least in film and television - has been tapped.

by Anonymousreply 286January 18, 2021 2:12 AM

Companies are terrified of losing money, so they'd rather throw money at things that worked in the past than take a risk and create something new. We are in the post golden age of television now, Game of Thrones ended in 2019, even with it's awful final season, that was the curtain coming down on the second golden age that started with the Sopranos.

by Anonymousreply 287January 18, 2021 2:18 AM

What a thrilling teaser!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288January 21, 2021 7:23 AM

Billy Porter could slip into SaMANtha’s diaphragm just like that!!! Why doesn’t Hollywood cast black she’ males in white female roles????? We will never be a whole country until Billy is recognized by his chosen sex organ/gash/cum dump

by Anonymousreply 289January 21, 2021 7:34 AM

I loved it when uptight Charlotte says to Samantha 'don't you even know what that guy you had sex with does for a living?'

Sam: "No! And I don't care!"

by Anonymousreply 290January 21, 2021 7:41 AM

SJP must be thrilled that all the press and commentary around the revival is wondering what they'll do about Samantha

by Anonymousreply 291January 21, 2021 7:44 AM

Steve may not be back... I guess Miranda is coming out!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292February 8, 2021 6:13 PM

I can't imagine. They can't keep the old storyline. The new golden girls..

by Anonymousreply 293February 8, 2021 6:38 PM

Where there's a will...there's a w(n)eigh...

by Anonymousreply 294February 8, 2021 6:46 PM

"Friendships fade"

Wow...reviting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295February 11, 2021 7:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!