Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Non-Binary is the new Chic

I know plenty of people who are genderqueer or straddle the lines of androgyny. But it feels like ever edgy person (mostly girls) is non-binary these days. I'm not a regular girl, I'm a they/them, but also femme. It's like back in high school in the early 2000s when every girl was like "omg, I kissed a girl this weekend, I'm SOOOOO bi". But now that bisexuality isn't edgy anymore, it's non-binary.

Bio: infamous femmeby bisexual, they/she

As a lot of folks’ nonbinary dad, it truly warms my heart so many folks I know have taken this hell time to really analyze their relationship with gender and realize it’s a scam. More and more folks I know both personally and around the internet are coming out as nonbinary and/or trans and hell yeah, good for you!!! Please make sure you get your complimentary membership basket available for curbside (because of course, we have cookies).

And as I was discussing with someone yesterday who is on their own gender journey-it really does not matter to anyone else except you. Pronouns and labels are like pants-you try them on and see if they fit! If they don’t, try on some more! If you ID as nonbinary but still want to use the same pronouns, great! If you don’t and want to change them, very cool!

Gender, like sexuality, is a spectrum, and some folks also don’t believe they are on the gender spectrum and are agender and that is very great too! It’s all valid and wonderful!!! As long as you are true to who YOU are, that’s what matters.

Anyway, happy Saturday to all my TGNC folks out there, we are magic

We get it, you like attention

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98December 29, 2020 12:57 PM

How on earth can we keep track of everyone's pronouns?

by Anonymousreply 1December 22, 2020 5:08 AM

When was gender every actually binary? It's always been a spectrum. We have always had femme gays and masc gays, butch and femme lesbians, guys that were just a little "swishy" and women who walked and talked like truck drivers. Sex is binary. Male and female are the only two options. Gender has always been nonbinary spectrum. So, honestly, what the fuck are these morons actually proclaiming?

by Anonymousreply 2December 22, 2020 5:12 AM

I'm not a very manly man (short, gayface, gayvoice...) but I still guard my maleness like gold. I like to be hairy and scruffy and manspread when I sit- to show my package.

No way am I becoming some in-between creature. I think you lose all power in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3December 22, 2020 5:15 AM

R2 - they are proclaiming their need for attention.

by Anonymousreply 4December 22, 2020 5:15 AM

I get questions like this a lot. "How can you be both a woman and non-binary?" or "How can you be a non-binary woman?" Sometimes it comes from a place of genuine curiosity and a desire to learn and grow. This video is for you all. I hope it can clear things up.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 22, 2020 5:18 AM

We should just adopt the same gender neutral pronouns for everyone. In fact, let's just make the gender neutral use of "he/him/you/sir" official and discard everything else. Let's make all bathrooms and changing rooms unisex with separate, locking stalls. Ditto for changing rooms, lockerrooms, and showers.

Perhaps then we can all STFU about gender identity and what new thing has sprung up this week demanding attention.

by Anonymousreply 6December 22, 2020 5:22 AM

Enby femme is more exciting than "woman"

by Anonymousreply 7December 22, 2020 5:27 AM

R6 likes to erase women, just like the transtapo. Why is that always the male default position? Oh, nevermind, I know it's how you think...male is default. If you want to get down to facts, every fetus starts out female, so we'll just universally use she/her for everyone. You good with that?

by Anonymousreply 8December 22, 2020 5:33 AM

And the war with reality continues.

by Anonymousreply 9December 22, 2020 5:35 AM

R8 is predictable and boring. I don't actually care which pronoun set becomes universal, just so long as SOMETHING does and we stop discussing this stupid nitpicky horseshit endlessly.

BTW, perhaps the fetus becoming male is the last correct step, and some fetuses just miss out of that? How you like them apples?

And blocked.

by Anonymousreply 10December 22, 2020 5:37 AM

Boring unattractive straight girl needs to feel special. Film at 11.

by Anonymousreply 11December 22, 2020 5:42 AM

Riley at R5 has one of the biggest Adam's apples I've seen on any man, so he/she might want to get that checked out.

by Anonymousreply 12December 22, 2020 5:46 AM

Don't they realize the Hale-Bopp comet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13December 22, 2020 5:51 AM

R5 that video made my head hurt. Honestly, if people discriminate against people like this, it’s not over gender identity issues, it’s because they are exhausting as fuck. I’ve seen this at work and it’s sad to see people socially ostracize themselves by being so personally and socially complicated that people just avoid them. There is a lot of aspects and nuances of being gay that most people don’t care about or understand, but I don’t require them to know and understand them for basic social or professional interaction.

Sometimes the biggest struggle as a young LGBTQ adult is just getting the fuck over yourself.

by Anonymousreply 14December 22, 2020 5:52 AM

*are

by Anonymousreply 15December 22, 2020 5:53 AM

[quote]Gender, like sexuality, is a spectrum...

Uhm, nope. It isn't at all.

[italic]Gender expression[/italic] is a spectrum. Gender itself is binary, male OR female. This is a chromosomal certainty, outside of VERY RARE chromosomal disorders, which themselves are specifically found it either men, or women!

by Anonymousreply 16December 22, 2020 5:59 AM

Some people are sexually attracted to children,some to animals, some to young teens. Just because there is a spectrum does not make it functional or moral. Sex is for reproduction. I don't care what is going on in your head, you find someone of the opposite sex and have children or you go to hell. And yes conversion therapy works!

by Anonymousreply 17December 22, 2020 6:02 AM

Don't they realize that the Hale-Bopp comet won't be around to collect them for another 4,200 years?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 22, 2020 6:03 AM

R16, male and female are sexes. Masculine and feminine are genders. The transtapo has spent a lot of energy trying to confuse sex and gender. Sex is the biological binary. Gender is a social construct.

by Anonymousreply 19December 22, 2020 6:18 AM

What's funny about non-binary being chic is that most of them look astonishingly awful. There are a few beautiful people under the ugly makeup and clothes, but, for most, the ugly makeup and clothes hide their unfortunate faces and obesity.

by Anonymousreply 20December 22, 2020 6:25 AM

I hope you are joking r19, because otherwise you are regurgitating some serious Transtapo gibberish.

by Anonymousreply 21December 22, 2020 6:35 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 22, 2020 6:45 AM

R20 that is so true, so many tend to be fat, what's up with that? And most are fuck ugly too!

by Anonymousreply 23December 22, 2020 6:47 AM

R21, you don't know what you are talking about. Male and female are sexes. XX is the female sex that produces ovum. XY is the male sex that produces sperm. Humans are a sexually dichotomous species. There are only two sexes.

Gender is a social construct on a masculine/feminine spectrum. It is defined by society according to certain stereotypical looks, behaviors, likes, dislikes, etc. You can put on the stereotypical accoutrement usually associated with the other sex but you will always and forever be either a female with XX chromosomes or a male with XY chromosomes.

You can play with your gender expression as much as you want but you can never, ever change your sex.

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2020 6:48 AM

I need an emotional support peacock just to read this thread. It’s making my fibromyalgia flare up chronically.

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2020 6:57 AM

If you have a vagina but don't like wearing skirts, heels and makeup, you are like 90 percent of the nation's women during the pandemic. No need to trans.

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2020 7:09 AM

Why does every "non-binary" look exactly the same? Short, pudgy, pale and definitely female. You'd think they would at least try to look androgynous or something.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2020 7:11 AM

R27 because "she/her" isn't unique enough. They need to be "they/them", despite looking like every day women for the most part

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2020 7:14 AM

No, it's not Chic..

OP is just a conservative Trump-troll making hay and mining none of his business by a handful of people who don't affect him for some illusion of superiority.

The sky is not falling and there is no significant impact on culture, so the OP can just fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2020 7:29 AM

I have never seen any real definition of non-binary. What the fuck does it even mean?

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2020 7:56 AM

R29, redefining reality is the illusion and denying reality and scientific fact is definitely impacting society in a horrible way. We'd love to be able to ignore the psychoenbytransloons but they won't stop announcing everything about their lives every single day on every single social media platform in the world.

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2020 7:59 AM

This just proves that the non-binary thing (and the trans thing) is nothing more than a fad, it's people trying to seem interesting and cool and also special and complicated. It will pass.

The real problem will be with those kids who've been made to think they're "transgender" and have irreversibly fucked up their bodies as a result, and with the legacy of laws that allow men to be legally recognised as women and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2020 8:10 AM

While a lot of Trans people are genuine much of the noise comes from the attention seekers. It's like the people who now identify as queer.

We had an LGBTQABCDEFGH123456789XXYZ event at work and one of the panelists was a white woman who identified as 'queer'. She talked about herself that she has only ever been in relationships with men (she is married to a man and has three children), has never been with a woman and is mostly attracted to men but is somehow 'queer'.

I was thinking, "No, you are just an attention hungry straight white frau who is jumping on the bandwagon to make yourself and your life seem more interesting, more modern and more colorful."

The mainstream alphabet soup movement is a joke thanks to people like her.

by Anonymousreply 33December 22, 2020 8:41 AM

[quote]Gender is a social construct on a masculine/feminine spectrum

Wrong! Gender PRESENTATION is a social construct, socially/culturally dictated according to sex/gender.

There are only two sexes/genders; male and female. That's it. And every single human being is one or the other (spare me the Kleinfelter's anomaly). How those sexes/genders present publicly is fluid/according to personal taste.

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2020 8:46 AM

Yes R7 is correct, although it does mean some classic songs won't scan as well as they used to.

Who can forget John Lennon's "Enby Femme"?

"Enby femme, I can hardly express My mixed emotions and my thoughtlessness After all, I'm forever in your debt And enby femme, I will try to express My inner feelings and thankfulness For showing me the meaning of success"

Never mind "Enby Femme Is The Ni**er of the World"

Then we'll have Chaka Khan's "I'm Every Enby Femme", Barbra's "I'm just an enby femme in love" and Shania Twain's "Man! I Feel Like An Enby Femme"

by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2020 8:50 AM

R32 No, it won't pass. Just like straight girls calling themselves bi/queer didn't pass. There's more of them than ever.

by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2020 9:04 AM

"Folks"

What is with this fucking word all of a sudden. Is "people" too fucking difficult for them to say?

[quote]I have never seen any real definition of non-binary. What the fuck does it even mean?

Non-binary is the new non-comforming or individual or rebel. It's what stupid people who have gender roles so ingrained in their way of thinking that they believe it's natural for buys to like blue and girls to like pink--like it's genetic--call themselves. They don't understand that these are just trends. They think that if they're a female and they're into fixing cars it makes them non-binary. It's also what people call themselves so they feel comfortable being able to dress up in a ridiculous fashion.

It's basically... an "excuse" for their behaviour. In my opinion it's like when people say they're "born gay there's no helping it". It doesn't matter if we're gay, we don't need an excuse because there's nothing wrong and nothing needs to be helped because there's nothing bad about it. I don't believe any human is "born" with any sexuality or predisposed liking pink or blue. This alllll happens afterward.

by Anonymousreply 37December 22, 2020 9:47 AM

It's the sexual equivalent of that "citizen of the world" bullshit.

The only thing that wet mess Theresa May ever said that I agreed with was, "A citizen of the world is a citizen of nowhere."

by Anonymousreply 38December 22, 2020 10:24 AM

I think most of these people are mentally ill to one extent or another. I feel sorry for them, but I don't think they should be dictating public policy.

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2020 11:16 AM

Clearly this is more about them being ugly than anything else.

Like Sam Smith. He hated his body so then he started going by non binary. It’s like saying: I may be ugly but I’m more special than you at least!

By doing this, it makes them feel attractive. So they get addicted to it. Without it, they just be ugly, but with it, they get the attention they can never get naturally.

I did meet an attractive non-binary once, but she had a ton of mental issues.

by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2020 11:49 AM

It goes both ways. I have one friend/colleague who is truly NB. I honestly have no idea what's in their pants and I could believe any number of answers. They come off slightly more male than female but are truly right in the middle. They've dated men and women, they're currently in a long-term relationship with a female person. They do not need nor crave extra attention, this is just the way they go through life. Prefers the "they" pronoun but doesn't really care that deeply what others use. Fit, conventionally attractive, mostly sane person and super cool. I can see insecure people looking at them and how together they have it and how well the label fits them and think "I want that for me".

I also have another dear friend, a slightly younger guy who's had some mental struggles and has managed to mostly stabilize himself, and he has recently decided that he is NB. I still use the "he" pronoun because I adore this human but I also know that this is just the latest in a string of attempts to cling to some sort of identity that he's fully throw himself into before getting distracted by something new or having a breakdown and resetting. He's absolutely doing it for attention, consciously or not. He's posting on social media about wanting clothing suggestions for his new wardrobe and his ultra-progressive young friends are all gushing and planning shopping days and I love him but I'm just nodding and "mmm-hmmm"ing until this passes and he has some other all new identity. He's harming no one and if it makes him feel better about himself then fine, but I don't buy it for a moment.

I do find the more genuine they are, the less they care about the BS semantics and just live their lives. The more stridently activist, the more insincere, at least in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2020 1:39 PM

I agree, R41.

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2020 1:59 PM

Don't worry R5, no one will ever mistake you for a "non binary woman". You are a boy wearing winged eyeliner and long hair.

by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2020 2:50 PM

For the last 20 years or more children have been marketed to along rigid gender lines. From clothes to toothpaste it's all pink and frills or camo and hard edges. No wonder every second teenager has decided they must be non-binary because they are a boy who likes Austin and stained glass windows or a girl who appreciates Led Zeppelin and vintage cars.

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2020 3:19 PM

R44 Who the hell is Austin?

by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2020 4:59 PM

Same R41 I have a friend who started wearing dresses, hasn't had any surgeries has far as I know, hasn't changed their very masculine name, and just casually started using they/them. No muss, no fuss.

by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2020 5:12 PM

Using "they/them" pronouns is fuss and attention-seeking.

by Anonymousreply 47December 22, 2020 5:14 PM

Real question: why can’t we have masculine expressing women who identify as women and more feminine expressing men who just identify as men?

Why are women and men not allowed to express themselves in a range of ways before using the non-binary label?

Last time I checked, I have both energies as does everyone else to differing degrees—but that doesn’t mean we all need to swap labels as a result. That is extremely narrowing of the range of experiences men and women can have. If the non-binary movement is taken too far and too literally, I just wonder if this will end up actually RESTRICTING and narrowing the socially acceptable behaviors of men and women even more if we have to have a third label of non-binary for people who feel both energies internally. In fact, I wonder if the younger generation doesn’t recognize that it’s okay to have other energies internally because everyone is like that—we just don’t have a language for it. My language around it is that we all have masculine and feminine energies from an astrological point of view.

by Anonymousreply 48December 22, 2020 5:27 PM

I am a man. Please address me as 'Sir'.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 22, 2020 5:34 PM

R48 Because people automatically associate femininity in men with gay and masculinity in women with lesbian

by Anonymousreply 50December 22, 2020 5:47 PM

some poster over the summer kept insisting dan levy is non-binary. claimed he knew him and swore up and down he's non-binary and his next show is about gender identity.

we shall see gurls. he did wear a skirt to the emmys.

by Anonymousreply 51December 22, 2020 9:12 PM

[quote]Gender is a social construct on a masculine/feminine spectrum.

Again, you are talking about GENDER EXPRESSION, you loon!

by Anonymousreply 52December 22, 2020 10:33 PM

These people are all nuts.

by Anonymousreply 53December 22, 2020 10:35 PM

R50 right, which I thought we started pushing back against in the 90’s but it seems as though we’re regressing now

by Anonymousreply 54December 22, 2020 11:00 PM

They are rejecting gender conformity while assuming that everyone else is bound to gender norms. It's quite perplexing.

by Anonymousreply 55December 22, 2020 11:00 PM

Sex is binary. Period. There are exception in mutations.

by Anonymousreply 56December 22, 2020 11:02 PM

R6 is weird. Homophobes used to claim that homosexuality was a "trend" and that "everyone is gay these days!"

In reality, the number of people who identify as "non-binary" is pretty small

by Anonymousreply 57December 22, 2020 11:16 PM

Republicans claim that gays want attention and are "strident" if they're out (They don't get that straight men go on and on about how much they love pussy but no one sees this as "coming out")

It's funny to see the right-wing Milo gays attack trans and non-binary the way homophobes attack us

by Anonymousreply 58December 22, 2020 11:19 PM

[quote]In reality, the number of people who identify as "non-binary" is pretty small.

In reality, the number of people who identify as "non-binary" is pretty loud.

by Anonymousreply 59December 23, 2020 12:49 AM

And you knew what you were thennn

Goils were goils and men were mennn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 23, 2020 12:58 AM

i just now realized that "enby" is NB for non binary. Slow learner here.

by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2020 1:12 AM

r61 Also enby-phobic is a thing too. LOL

by Anonymousreply 62December 23, 2020 2:34 AM

R52, you really are a moron. You are wrong. You can keep repeating it over and over but you will still be wrong. Sex is the biological male/female binary based on chromosomes and, except in rare mutations, the matching genitalia and gamete production. Gender is the social construct that assigns specific behaviors to the two sexes and exists on a spectrum from masculine to feminine. In other words, sex is biology, gender is behavior. If you can read at more than a 2nd grade level, give this article from Stanford Med a shot.

[quote]“We don’t know how to measure gender,” says Stefanick, director of the Stanford Women and Sex Differences in Medicine, or WSDM (pronounced “wisdom”), Center. “Sex is generally assigned at birth, based on external genitalia, after which a broad range of biological, particularly reproductive, sex differences are assumed. Individuals are then, usually, forced into a binary model of gender — with distinct masculine and feminine categories — when the possibilities are much broader and more expansive.”

[quote]To begin with, it’s important to define the terms accurately to avoid confusion. Even many research articles, and researchers, refer to gender when they mean sex.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 23, 2020 6:00 AM

"No way am I becoming some in-between creature. I think you lose all power in the world."

You are incorrect. You don't lose any power.

You do lose privileges that you never earned.

by Anonymousreply 64December 23, 2020 6:05 AM

R63 is correct: The conflation of the terms "sex" and "gender" is a recent, and unfortunate, development that has created cultural confusion and opened the door to a lot of transgender nonsense. When the psychologist John Money originated the term "gender role" in the 1950s, he was talking about a social construct. The feminists of the 1970s likewise used "gender" to refer to socially constructed roles.

R52, when you use "gender" as a synonym for "sex," you are unwittingly using the language that trans activists want you to use. In any case, don't you see that R63 is on your side of this debate?

by Anonymousreply 65December 23, 2020 7:37 AM

[Quote]It's like back in high school in the early 2000s when every girl was like "omg, I kissed a girl this weekend, I'm SOOOOO bi". But now that bisexuality isn't edgy anymore, it's non-binary.

Um, pseudo-bisexuality/lesbianism is absolutely rampant in some high schools today. That enbies mostly say they're bisexual proves that one phenomenon isn't merely replacing the other - they're combining.

by Anonymousreply 66December 23, 2020 7:42 AM

[quote]Sex is binary. Period.

Thanks R56 - all trans wimmins of color are now triggered by you mentioning periods. Your post is literal violence.

by Anonymousreply 67December 23, 2020 9:46 AM

I don't suppose it has ever occurred that those gendered behaviours may have didn't arise in homo sapiens for good reasons as the species took hold, and didn't confer huge benefit?

Gendered behaviour has occurred in every known human social grouping it also occurs on other higher primates and mammals.

The assumption is that no gendered behaviour has any connection with biology whatsoever. You know. Like the hormones that flood women's bodies after giving birth?

Basically, the culture is saying it no longer needs those behaviors in order to survive and create stable societies. Where survival is concerned, this may indeed be the case. There are probably more women than men in law school these days.

But I believe the rush to assume those behaviours can so easily be detached from biology is disingenuous and it is shocking that the medical community is so willing to collude in it.

by Anonymousreply 68December 23, 2020 10:08 AM

Funny r68, I'm the exact opposite. The fact that the medical community is so willing to "collude" in it suggests to me that it is, in fact, legitimate. But I suppose your common sense probably overrides medical training and experience in treating patients. You should give seminars.

by Anonymousreply 69December 23, 2020 12:17 PM

R30 Confused

by Anonymousreply 70December 23, 2020 12:26 PM

More like exhausting is the new chic!

by Anonymousreply 71December 23, 2020 12:30 PM

I hate the fucking lectures from these smug delusional cunts. It's what I imagine being in a room with Meghan Markle is like.

by Anonymousreply 72December 23, 2020 12:46 PM

[quote]In other words, sex is biology, gender is behavior.

R63, how does that work in languages other than English, where there is only one word for the two English words sex and gender? The differing definitions that you give of sex and gender only appeared in the 21st century. If gender is simply behaviour then why do transgender people have surgery and take hormones and other treatments to give them the appearance of the sexual characteristics of the other sex?

by Anonymousreply 73December 23, 2020 12:56 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 23, 2020 1:14 PM

We brand them into the sows with a red-hot iron, R1. The experience will give them even more to howl about!

by Anonymousreply 75December 23, 2020 1:14 PM

These nutjobs need to squat naked over a mirror and look down.

This will determine if they are a CUNT or a DICK.

Non-binary is fake news.

by Anonymousreply 76December 23, 2020 1:28 PM

R69 - Oh, spare me. As if, you know, the medical community has NEVER EVER put its money on something that later turned out to be wrong, pushing hormone replacement therapy on women for decades before finding it out it really didn't protect their heart and bones but did expose them to increased risks of certain cancers, and of course it was very lucrative for Big PhRma, and played on women's fear of getting old.

The hormones released after childbirth INCREASE maternal behaviour - attachment to the infant and willingness to care for it. Yeah - BEHAVIOUR we automatically assume is FEMININE and WOMANLY. But the rush of those hormones is NOT a "social construct": it's the product of those two X chromosomes and enhanced the likelihood that the infant will be well taken care of and survive the risky first two years of life.

The medical community is suscecpitible to faulty assumptions, too, especially when it comes to heavy socio-political pressure. It shouldn't be, but it is.

by Anonymousreply 77December 23, 2020 2:08 PM

"Gender expression is a spectrum. Gender itself is binary, male OR female"

Aren't you conflating gender and sex. Isn't gender the "social construct." I'm honestly asking.

I always feel like society made a big mistake using gender instead of sex language, i.e, bathrooms designated "men" and "women" instead of "male" and "female"; high school sports associations sponsoring "boy's" and "girl's" tennis, track and field, etc. instead of "male" and "female" sports. Of course most people never though of such gender language as anything other than biological sex categories - until recently. They knew that "boy's" tennis was for biological males.

by Anonymousreply 78December 23, 2020 2:13 PM

r24 Asking a real question here, what about intersex people?

I guess they are both and neither?

by Anonymousreply 79December 23, 2020 2:16 PM

I don't have a problem with people making their own gender identities instead of trying to squish themselves into cultural expectations of what men and women are supposed to be, but yeah, I'm very squeamish about the trend towards extreme body modification in order to achieve some gender ideal. That to me seems the opposite of accepting who you are.

by Anonymousreply 80December 23, 2020 2:20 PM

R80 is right on. Remember when psychology and goals were about accepting yourself? That was the ultimate goal, I thought. That is totally gone now.

by Anonymousreply 81December 23, 2020 2:48 PM

This non-binary business is idiocy and needs to stop. So many people have the idea "men are supposed to be this way and women are supposed to be that way." If you don't fit precisely into that mold then you must be trans or non-binary. I think it's a toxic idea and that we should be telling people that you can be a man or a woman any way you want instead. There is no right or wrong way to be a man or woman.

Then there are those who just want to feel special and unique and do it for attention. Or perhaps being just plain old "male" or "female" is too boring and old fashioned so they do it to feel hip and trendy. With seemingly half the world identifying as non-binary, soon it won't seem as cool and original anymore so they'll have to find something else. After all, if everybody is non-binary, what makes you special? Eventually the novelty will have to wear off and it will feel stale.

by Anonymousreply 82December 23, 2020 3:28 PM

[quote] What is with this fucking word all of a sudden. Is "people" too fucking difficult for them to say?

R37, it's the same thing with the phrase "y'all". Every social justice warrior feels the need to use this in every other post. That phrase only sounds normal when used by black people and southerners. Everyone else just sounds dumb, like they are trying to show off how "hip" and "woke" they are.

by Anonymousreply 83December 23, 2020 4:15 PM

No, its not the new chic...its the same old stupid.

by Anonymousreply 84December 23, 2020 4:23 PM

Instead of using their pronouns, you can simply always refer to them by their name. That’s much less of a hassle.

by Anonymousreply 85December 23, 2020 5:10 PM

Or say: hey you

by Anonymousreply 86December 23, 2020 5:12 PM

Why do you think that is, R83? Do they think that "folks" and "y'all" make them sound unpretentious? Are they trying to counter the charge that they're trapped in the ivory tower? It's sort of fascinating from a linguistic perspective.

by Anonymousreply 87December 23, 2020 11:20 PM

R87, it's virtue signaling--"if I use these words, I will indicate that I am part of the social justice community!". It's desperate.

by Anonymousreply 88December 23, 2020 11:28 PM

It's the trans, non-binary, TQ-XYZ that's ironically enforcing the binary with their rhetoric as they put themselves in categories and reinforce sex characteristics and societal norms. It's the contradictions and their activism, that make them look like clowns. Sadly LGB is tacked on, and the majority assume we are down for what they spew.

by Anonymousreply 89December 24, 2020 2:41 AM

Omg r83 I noticed that a lot recently and it always makes me queasy.

by Anonymousreply 90December 24, 2020 3:41 AM

R90, I see it sooo often, even from people outside the US. It's weird. It's a regional phrase that everyone uses now. It really is true that non-black people realllly want to be black so bad.

by Anonymousreply 91December 24, 2020 3:50 AM

R37 folks is the LANGUAGE OF THE OPPRESSOR!

It's folx or it is, of course, literally murdering TWOCs.

by Anonymousreply 92December 26, 2020 10:27 AM

"Folks" is great. So is "y'all". I often address groups of both men and women and after a while "guys" just felt wrong when I was referring to the entire group. In German and other languages there is a word for the plural "you" but we don't really have one in English. I've tried the Irish "youse" but it doesn't feel right for me. I'm not Southern but "y'all" is a fantastic word. It needs to be adopted into standard English. "Folks" achieves a similar effect.

I use it not because I'm afraid someone's going to jump down my throat or cancel me, I do it because it feels strange to me to use male-gendered language when addressing both men and women. It's a tiny little thing but I dropped the "guys" years ago and am glad I did. Take the extra microsecond of creativity and use a better word. Not because it's morally right, but because it makes you a better and clearer communicator.

by Anonymousreply 93December 26, 2020 1:13 PM

Why are the annoyingly twee and folksy "you guys", "you folks" and "y'all" acceptable but "you people" isn't?

by Anonymousreply 94December 26, 2020 1:20 PM

So what happens once every Tom, Dick and Jane proclaims that they’re “non-binary”? Will there be a shift where everyone all of a sudden becomes extremely prude again, like in the Reagan years.

by Anonymousreply 95December 26, 2020 2:40 PM

r94 depends on context. You people can be used as a negative connotation against minority groups,

by Anonymousreply 96December 26, 2020 3:09 PM

R95 No, there will be dozens of new "look at me, I'm special and also a victim" labels cranked out before that.

by Anonymousreply 97December 29, 2020 12:28 PM

Anyone over the age of 19 who is doing this deserves to be sterilized.

by Anonymousreply 98December 29, 2020 12:57 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!