Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you put up a Christmas tree?šŸŽ„

Why yes or why not? Do the gays not put up Christmas trees and Christmas lights?

by Anonymousreply 74January 26, 2021 9:00 PM

No. Iā€™m not a Christian.

by Anonymousreply 1December 20, 2020 5:50 AM

No. It clashes with my Festivus Pole.

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2020 5:51 AM

No, I hate consumerism and religion

but I smoked a few trees.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2020 5:55 AM

raar rar rrrrarrrr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2020 5:58 AM

Not enough trees to go around this year, so I'm making a book tree.

by Anonymousreply 5December 20, 2020 6:05 AM

I put up a New Year tree.

by Anonymousreply 6December 20, 2020 6:33 AM

Yes. Iā€™m not usually a Christmas person, but since there nothing else to do, I did. And it turned out pretty.

by Anonymousreply 7December 20, 2020 6:41 AM

As an outgrowth of my erstwhile Christian fundamentalist fanaticism, I forswore Christmas altogether for some twenty-five years. It was pagan; it was unscriptural. Ironically, as I transitioned from fundamentalist to liberal Christian, to skeptic, to atheist, and finally anti-theist, my reasons for abstaining from Christmas slowly dissolved. Across the past few years, I'd begun re-accumulating a tree and decorations - in the beginning, more because my mentally handicapped, schizophrenic younger brother missed celebrating Christmas than any attachment to the holiday myself. Now however, I'm actually finding that I enjoy having a tree up in the living room (I'm in far too poor health to be able to put up outdoor lights), and purchasing Christmas gifts for my brother and for my best friend's four year old son - my 'honorary nephew,' as it were.

So yeah - we've got a tree. Not a real one - I still object to killing an actual tree simply to celebrate a season. But it's still pretty - a four footer on a corner table, with colored led lights, a silver tinsel garland, vintage Radko Shiny Brite reflector bulbs, and a purple finial tree topper. My brother is delighted with it, and that makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 8December 20, 2020 7:57 AM

Decorating makes a mess. I don't enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 9December 20, 2020 8:04 AM

If decorating makes a mess, R9, you're doin' it wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10December 21, 2020 1:46 PM

R1 Evergreen trees and lights have nothing do to with Christianity, though. They're seasonal decorations to cheer up the winter.

by Anonymousreply 11December 21, 2020 1:52 PM

R1 Evergreen trees and lights have nothing do to with Christianity, though. They're seasonal decorations to cheer up the winter.

by Anonymousreply 12December 21, 2020 1:52 PM

I never have a live tree, though I am sure my cats would love playing in one. I usually decorate a large silk bamboo plant as my alternative. Since I don't trust the juvenile delinquent furries with tree ornaments, we have decorations around the house and stockings on the mantle this year.

I have some Christmas lights on the porch and a wreath on the door, but not much else.

by Anonymousreply 13December 21, 2020 2:01 PM

i am looking for a wreath this week.

by Anonymousreply 14December 21, 2020 2:07 PM

i am looking for a wreath this week.

by Anonymousreply 15December 21, 2020 2:07 PM

I stopped putting up a tree when I stopped hosting Christmas for the family. Eventually got rid of my artificial tree and don't miss it one bit. I do decorate outside and a wreath on the door, but I do nothing inside or special for Christmas day, no gifts or family or friends, just me and I am fine with that, best decision I ever made. Wish I had done it years ago, I know some people love Christmas and the get-togethers, the gifts and I am happy for them but that isn't for me. I just want to be alone.

by Anonymousreply 16December 21, 2020 3:59 PM

Lazy Atheist here.

by Anonymousreply 17December 21, 2020 4:03 PM

Our tree lights give us a warm soothing glow that comforts us these dark days of winter. One year we didn't get rid of it all until almost February.

by Anonymousreply 18December 21, 2020 4:16 PM

No, husband was raised Jewish, so not part of his heritage and we have cats, which would make putting s tree up moot rather quickly. (I never liked artificial ones.)

by Anonymousreply 19December 21, 2020 4:19 PM

No I would never go through the effort to put up a damn tree in my apartment. Why would I?

by Anonymousreply 20December 21, 2020 4:24 PM

I wanted to, but I couldn't find a tree delivery and set up service in my town.

by Anonymousreply 21December 21, 2020 4:26 PM

Yes. And it's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 22December 21, 2020 4:36 PM

Why are your thumbs-up and thumbs-down emojies in different skin colors?

by Anonymousreply 23December 21, 2020 11:32 PM

Of course, canā€™t miss the chance to put up the Christopher Radko ornaments!

by Anonymousreply 24December 22, 2020 1:22 AM

Yes. I was raised Roman Catholic, but I've considered myself atheist for decades. I mainly just put it up as an FU to all the jerk parents that kick their kids out of the house for being LGBTQ.

by Anonymousreply 25December 22, 2020 1:34 AM

Yes and it makes us very happy!

by Anonymousreply 26December 22, 2020 1:37 AM

If you don't decorate for Christmas, you should have to work on Christmas day, you heathen.

by Anonymousreply 27December 22, 2020 1:39 AM

Nah. I'm working toward functional minimalism, so I've been curating all my possessions for a couple of years.

I do have 12 or 15 lovely ornaments with special meaning to me. They are stored in a beautiful wooden box, so I placed the box on top of a chest of drawers, and then placed a small sculpture on top of the box, as if the box were a stand for it. No one can see it, but I don't have guests, anyway, and I know what is in the box and what it means to me.

Also, not a Christian or any religion, but I never tell anyone that. I have no desire to discuss my views with them or anyone, really.

by Anonymousreply 28December 22, 2020 1:39 AM

I do. My ornaments are off-the-hook and in love seeing them for a couple of weeks each year! I have a really nice artificial tree! I donā€™t think Xmas trees have to have anything to do with religion. They donā€™t for me.

by Anonymousreply 29December 22, 2020 1:57 AM

Scrooge here. I'm living alone for the first time in awhile, my decorations are in someone else's shed and i broke my fucking toe this morning and no one is coming to visit me at my house (and i don't want them to). i hate my job, my life and my lack of love. so nope, didn't care to put up a tree, even the fake one i had in one of the xmas totes.

by Anonymousreply 30December 22, 2020 5:17 AM

I stopped putting up a tree 4 years ago and gave my artificial to one of my friends who oddly leaves it up all year (and changes the "ornaments" based of the time of year, particular holiday, etc.). He likes it and I was sick of moving furniture around to fit it every year. I say do what you want and just go with that. My house is about 1,400 sf and while I have plenty of furniture and art of different mediums (a lot of sculpture on different sized pedestals, oil paintings, matted charcoals, various art glass pieces, etc.) - my look is rather clean and modern. I always put up tons of lights (mostly warm white fairy lights with plugs) and have plenty of decorated "areas" in the house but find that decorating an actual tree really isn't necessary for me. The effect is still there.

by Anonymousreply 31December 22, 2020 6:08 AM

What kind of a fucking loser doesn't put up a tree???. Nothing more beautiful in the home during winter than a well-appointed Christmas tree. And I love my cats climbing it...part of the enjoyment.

by Anonymousreply 32December 22, 2020 6:19 AM

I would like to, but I don't have any good place to place one. Maybe next year. I did buy some nice ornaments this year for my loved ones, though.

by Anonymousreply 33December 22, 2020 6:29 AM

I didn't get to do it for years, so now I do. It is a pagan symbol and I like the colored lights.

by Anonymousreply 34December 22, 2020 6:51 AM

Of course Christmas has a quasi-religious component (although religious scholars seem to agree that December 25 is an unlikely time for Jesusā€™ birthday.) But at least in the states Christmas is a big, secular holiday as well. There is nothing religious about Christmas trees, Santa Claus, feasting, Frosty, the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Jingle Bells, frantic shopping, decking the halls, donning we now our gay apparel, etc. There are enough elements of Christmas to celebrate the season any way you fucking want. Cheers! Iā€™m going a-wassailingā€¦.

And donā€™t get me started on Easter bunnies, baskets of treats, and egg hunts.

by Anonymousreply 35December 22, 2020 8:14 AM

The real holiday is the solstice. Christmas trees are modified yule logs, and the whole holiday was created by the church, because they couldn't stop people from celebrating the solstice, so they altered the meaning of it. Can't think of a reason to let those long-dead political manipulators tell me how to live.

by Anonymousreply 36December 22, 2020 11:00 AM

I have a tree but I also have some very non-traditional ornaments up on it, which are there to emphasize the pagan nature of Christmas. This Turkish fertility figurine caused quite a stir when my frau mom spotted it a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37December 22, 2020 11:29 AM

Yes. Why? Because I celebrate Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 38December 22, 2020 11:34 AM

My Jewish husband insists. Iā€™d be happy with no tree or a tabletop one but NOOOO.

by Anonymousreply 39December 22, 2020 11:47 AM

Had one and I rarely put it up, so I gave it away. Now I light a candle.

by Anonymousreply 40December 22, 2020 11:54 AM

I decorate every year. I have since my first apartment 30 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 41December 22, 2020 12:47 PM

Xmas celebrates the birth of Christ, a festival first celebrated 335 CE. The various Xmas symbols, whatever their origins, are an integral part of that Xtian festival/celebration. Attempting to separate/deflect from Xmasā€™s Xtian origins and both its historic and contemporary cultural imperative in Xtian societies is rationalization, not reality. Non-Xtian indifference/aversion to this quintessential Xtian celebration is therefore readily understandable.

by Anonymousreply 42December 22, 2020 1:04 PM

Yes. Every year. Looks nice and I like the smell it brings.

by Anonymousreply 43December 22, 2020 1:06 PM

Yes! I always put it up, along with decorations, the day after Thanksgiving/Black Friday. I have a huge 9 foot tall artificial tree that looks really pretty. I refuse to buy a tree that was killed for decoration.

by Anonymousreply 44December 22, 2020 1:22 PM

No. My husband doesnā€™t want to exert himself by opening attic stairs. He rushed & rushed to get a date for a cardiac catheterization, then didnā€™t get it done. He just hangs around getting older & uglier.

by Anonymousreply 45December 22, 2020 1:23 PM

Last fall I moved from a two bedroom apartment to a house, with two bedrooms, two baths, large kitchen, dining room, and office. I have decorated each room, far more than I have done for years. I need the anti-covid cheer. My tree is six feet tall, full of beautiful ornaments and twinkling lights. I love it all.

by Anonymousreply 46December 22, 2020 1:28 PM

R42, your post leads me to believe that you refer to Jesus Christ as Jesus X.

by Anonymousreply 47December 23, 2020 2:52 AM

I just got lite xmas decor up.

by Anonymousreply 48December 23, 2020 4:55 AM

The funny thing is I used to have these terrible nightmares when I forgot it was Christmas and had to make Christmas ornaments out of paper to put on the branches because I couldnā€™t not have a decorated tree for Christmas. I *had* to have Christmas & I had to decorate. I would wake up all sweaty & very upset

This year there will be no Christmas tree because fuck it. I donā€™t care. My family is mostly dead. The ones who are still alive are Trumpers living in FL. It makes me wonder if my dreams were prescient ā€” I knew that Christmas was getting less & less important s and that I was trying to fend off/postpone the day when Christmas would no longer have any meaning for me.

by Anonymousreply 49December 23, 2020 5:04 AM

[quote]I stopped putting up a tree 4 years ago and gave my artificial to one of my friends who oddly leaves it up all year (and changes the "ornaments" based of the time of year, particular holiday, etc.).

You know, thatā€™s not a bad idea.

Iā€™ve been recently thinking about how sad Iā€™ll be having to take it down in a few weeks, but then I wonder if I would get bored with it if I kept it up.

by Anonymousreply 50December 23, 2020 5:15 AM

I just got a Christmas wreath. It smells amazing. Just do that.

by Anonymousreply 51December 23, 2020 5:16 AM

1) i live in a shitty little studio apartment with zero room for anything and all my xmas decs are at my friend's shed at the house i lived in here before. 2) this has been a shitastic year and the amount of effort involved in putting up the decs for myself alone seems silly 3) i'm moving within the next 3 months to the east coast, so i'm not sure it's really worth it to go to my friend's house and expose myself to her and her friends and family (she's quite a social person) just to take it all down and pack it back into boxes. 4) i'm just not feeling it this year. so i'll just enjoy other people's trees and dec when i see them in the evening.

by Anonymousreply 52December 23, 2020 5:53 AM

R52 Have you heard of capitalization?

by Anonymousreply 53December 23, 2020 6:09 AM

Those of you with an artificial tree, what brand do you have? How tall is it? With or without lights?

Can any of you give recommendations or warnings after having an artificial tree?

I am thinking about getting one for next year. It would be nice to be able to put it up earlier which I can't really do with a real one.

by Anonymousreply 54December 23, 2020 6:19 AM

r52 whatever lol. nope, don't bother to capitalize. unless it has to do with money. in which case it's spelled capitalize. try to stay on topic.

by Anonymousreply 55December 23, 2020 6:19 AM

[quote]Xmas celebrates the birth of Christ, a festival first celebrated 335 CE.

R42, a festivity that's some three hundred forty some odd years late for the supposed event that it's commemorating doesn't get to own the occasion - especially since the holiday - the birth of the sun - was observed millenia before Ģ…Ļ‡Ģ…ĻĢ… was even imagined.

by Anonymousreply 56December 23, 2020 5:08 PM

R50 you don't have to take it down! It's a winter seasonal decoration, so you can leave it up even until March or whenever the weather starts warming up and the days really get longer. I guess this might not apply if you live in the South somewhere. I leave mine up until it's noticeably lighter and warmer out, usually in Feb-March.

by Anonymousreply 57December 23, 2020 6:53 PM

I have a beautiful 7 ft slim pre-lit Christmas tree that fits perfectly in the corner of my place. My grandmother gave me all of her classy glass ornaments before she passed away. Unfortunately, they're all starting to break because they're so old. I took the ones in really bad shape, smashed them up in a bucket and put the pieces in new, clear glass ornaments. I gifted them to my brother and sister two Christmases ago and kept the third. Best gift ever! I have my tree connected to a smart plug. I love it!

by Anonymousreply 58December 23, 2020 6:55 PM

[quote]I mainly just put it up as an FU to all the jerk parents that kick their kids out of the house for being LGBTQ.

Yeah. That makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 59December 23, 2020 7:10 PM

Decorating for holidays is for fraus.

by Anonymousreply 60December 23, 2020 7:12 PM

[quote]Those of you with an artificial tree, what brand do you have?

lol, what? I've had my tree over 10 years. I have no idea.

[quote]Can any of you give recommendations or warnings after having an artificial tree?

I don't like pre-lit trees, if the lights break you're stuck with broken lights on your tree.

by Anonymousreply 61December 23, 2020 8:04 PM

I have a large Ficus tree in my living room that I decorate...it looks cool...and different

by Anonymousreply 62December 23, 2020 8:52 PM

R61, regarding pre-lit trees, tell me about it. I only had mine 2 years and large sections of the tree wouldn't light up. It's the "Holiday Time" brand sold at Wal-Mart. There's 300 lights on the tree, and half of them weren't working. I'm not going through 150 bulbs one at a time to figure out which one was causing this.

I anticipated something like this eventually happening, but I assumed I could just remove the string of lights and just replace them with a new set of lights. It took me over two hours to get the original lights off the tree. They're attached to the branches with hundreds of plastic clips, and plastic zip ties that I had to cut off. They're also completely tangled into all the branches.

by Anonymousreply 63December 23, 2020 9:55 PM

R63 Thatā€™s why I bought one of the trees that wasnā€™t pre-lit. I donā€™t like those pre-lit ones. So I paid $40 for my 6.5 ft tree from Walmart. For the price, itā€™s fine (although I think it could have used a few more branches).

by Anonymousreply 64December 23, 2020 10:02 PM

this year is more about the food for me. More simple and More days

by Anonymousreply 65December 24, 2020 3:27 AM

Who has taken their tree down? I'm keeping mine up until Biden's inauguration.

by Anonymousreply 66January 14, 2021 8:43 PM

I took mine down the day after Christmas. Though it's a small 4' tree that I put on a plant stand, so it doesn't take much time

by Anonymousreply 67January 14, 2021 8:54 PM

I'll never understand people like you, R67.

by Anonymousreply 68January 14, 2021 9:08 PM

My brother and I took ours down the day before yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 69January 15, 2021 5:18 AM

First year in my life I didnā€™t have a Christmas tree.

by Anonymousreply 70January 26, 2021 1:56 AM

Mine is still up. Don't worry, it's fake. I still turn the lights on every night. On Inauguration Day I lit it in the morning and left it on all day, like it was Christmas.

Fuck this year(s), fuck Trump and fuck Covid. I'm in no rush to tear down one tiny spot of joy in my life just because of someone else's arbitrary timeline.

by Anonymousreply 71January 26, 2021 6:54 PM

I'm Jewish, so I don't feel the need to turn my house into a coniferous forest every December. At least when I light Hanukkah candles, I do it away from flammable plant matter.

by Anonymousreply 72January 26, 2021 6:57 PM

[quote]I mainly just put it up as an FU to all the jerk parents that kick their kids out of the house for being LGBTQ.

It twas many, many moons ago but I'm among that number. Thanks for the solidarity!

by Anonymousreply 73January 26, 2021 7:08 PM

R71, I did the same thing waiting until Inauguration Day. Best Christmas gift ever.

by Anonymousreply 74January 26, 2021 9:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!