Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you prefer the Fleetwood Mac songs of Stevie Nicks or Christine McVie?

Just between those two.

I like them both, but I've always found McVie's songs a bit catchier (with the exception of Gypsy, probably my favorite overall Fleetwood Mac song).

I like Stevie's solo stuff more than her Fleetwood Mac songs.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2021 11:21 PM

My whole family loves Fleetwood Mac and I never really liked their sound. A couple of years ago, I decided to make more of an effort to listen and I soon discovered I loved some of their songs a lot and some others felt really trite and uninteresting. It turned out Nicks wrote most of the ones I liked a lot and Buckingham wrote the ones that seemed less inspired.

I do like Songbird. It's pretty. But it doesn't compare favorably with the mysterious and abstract lyricism Nicks has written. I'm not really familiar with other songs by C.M.

by Anonymousreply 1December 18, 2020 6:07 PM

Stevie Nicks is really good in small chunks. I love Dreams, although Never Going Back Again and Songbird are my two favorite songs on Rumours. I HATE her solo stuff. She's like the white trash version of Kate Bush. Christine McVie was the epitome of cool and good humored and made everyone around her look cool as well.

by Anonymousreply 2December 20, 2020 5:36 AM

McVie is far and away the superior songwriter. "Songbird" is a modern classic, having been recorded by Willie Nelson, Rita Coolidge and several others, and "Over And Over," from the "Tusk" album, is as gorgeous as melodies and lyrics get.

Nicks is a mooncalf by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 3December 20, 2020 5:55 AM

I'm not a hardcore FM fan - basically the hits plus some album tracks, but I don't know every album inside and out. Of all the songs I know, I'd definitely say McVie - there's more FM songs that I really like written by her than NIcks. There are Nicks songs I think are great, but not as many as McVie.

by Anonymousreply 4December 20, 2020 6:02 AM

I get bored listening to Fleetwood Mack songs. There are some songs U like. However, most of them (vast majority) are mid-tempo and lack variety in how they’re structured as well. Bit maybe it’s a ‘70s thing and you had to be there to truly appreciate it IDK.

by Anonymousreply 5December 20, 2020 6:48 AM

McVie has most of the hits - but that really means little in the long run. What matters is if a charting song becomes classic. No one remembers Over my Head. Her most popular songs are from Tango in the Nights which is hardly a Fleetwood Mac album. It's 95% Buckingham and McVie.

by Anonymousreply 6December 20, 2020 6:58 AM

Peter Green was the most talented person to even be in Fleetwood Mac.

by Anonymousreply 7December 23, 2020 7:43 PM

As an diehard FM fan who died hard— I believe the appeal of Fleetwood Mac, is that they were largely the continuation of the 60’s LA pop concept. Keith Olsen produced them, he was at the forefront with Curt Boettcher in the 60s, so he learned a ton about vocal arranging and audio production from him. Whatever the fuck they did in the 80’s just wreaks of cheap Ruinite wine and baking soda cocaine. Stevie is beautiful, but her voice was trashed by 1985. An epic of a band, but after their first three albums it became a daytime soap opera.

by Anonymousreply 8December 23, 2020 7:50 PM

The first three really popular ones being the S/T, Rumours, and Tusk.

by Anonymousreply 9December 23, 2020 7:52 PM

I was going to say Christine, but Stevie threatened to kick me in the cunt bone.

by Anonymousreply 10December 23, 2020 8:01 PM

As amazing as the era from, say, Fleetwood Mac to Dreams is - and I get that was the band at its most popular - it's a shame it didn't continue to evolve and change members - that would have been interesting to see.

Yes, I know various musicians have stood in for Lindsay, Stevie or others when they've been gone, but they were basically being part of a FM cover band.

by Anonymousreply 11December 23, 2020 8:03 PM

R8 There's a great story that John Stewart told whereby he heard the Fleetwood Mac S/T album and recognized the sound being influenced by the Kingston Trio, that is to say, rough rhythm guitar played on very taut nylon strings interwoven with banjo. The Fleetwood Mac S/T album influenced him to pick up electric guitar. He met Walter Egan and Egan told him that Buckingham learned to play guitar by listening to Kingston Trio albums. It's one of those instances where musicians communicate with each other through their music without actually knowing each other. The Fleetwood Mac sound of the Buckingham/Nicks era is very much a combination of California folk-pop in the Laurel Canyon tradition, Beach Boys lush arrangement, and the Bluesy rhythm section made Fleetwood Mac stand out as heavier and groovier than their California contemporaries. The three part harmonies were just the cherry on top. I think Tusk is their best album. It's n of those albums that I can listen to and discover something new each time.

by Anonymousreply 12December 23, 2020 8:28 PM

I hated John Stewart's voice. I'm sure his music was quality stuff but his voice for some reason sounded like sandpaper trying to sing

by Anonymousreply 13December 23, 2020 8:55 PM

I prefer Stevie's voice & songs (back when her voice wasn't shot). I don't like C. McVie's voice that much.

Songbird is a beautiful song, though. Here's Eva Cassidy's version.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 23, 2020 9:08 PM

R14 Songbird is one of the best Fleetwood Mac songs, but some diehard Stevie stans hate the song because "Silver Springs should be on Rumours instead". Silver Springs has got to be one of the most overrated Fleetwood Mac songs.

by Anonymousreply 15December 23, 2020 9:17 PM

I love Stevie but sometimes I have no idea what the fuck she's talking about. I'll take Little Lies, Everywhere and Over My Head over Rhiannon, Dreams and Gypsy.

by Anonymousreply 16December 23, 2020 9:20 PM

Both are very good. I think the band made a mistake, though, in the length of time between Rumours and Tusk.

by Anonymousreply 17December 23, 2020 9:22 PM

Stevie's Charisma/image certainly overshadowed Christine. A lot of casual Fleetwood Mac fans don't even realize there was a second woman in the band who sang songs. I saw someone(millennial straight girl) on Facebook going on and on about how Stevie broke ground by outshining all the 'guys' in the band. Like, there was another girl in the band too, but go off honey. Many newer Fleetwood Mac fans just listen to the hits on Spotify or Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 18December 23, 2020 9:39 PM

R10 Stevie has had 4 abortions. It seems she did a bit of self battery to her own cunt bone with those elevator shoes.

by Anonymousreply 19December 24, 2020 1:20 AM

Too soon R17?

by Anonymousreply 20December 24, 2020 4:02 AM

I think McVie was a more talented songwriter

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21January 5, 2021 10:38 PM

Stevie all the way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22January 5, 2021 11:16 PM

R21 but she didn't have that voice or those looks and that's what ultimately matters.

by Anonymousreply 23January 5, 2021 11:25 PM

The only Fleetwood Mac song I really like is "Songbird", which happens to be sung by the superior vocalist, McVie. R14 & R15 In all sincerity, I've never seen the appeal of Nicks, for the most part.

And THE BEST EVER VERSION is indeed the Eva Cassidy version at R14. Fuck me, I love her.

by Anonymousreply 24January 5, 2021 11:27 PM

I find it sad how underappreciated Christine McVie is in pop culture. I always found her voice and songwriting stronger than Stevie Nicks. Perhaps she was too sarcastic and plain looking(not in my opinion, but it's hard to compete with doe eyed Stevie Nicks) to ever become a household name in appearance and charisma obsessed America. Of course she actually plays an instrument as well.

by Anonymousreply 25January 6, 2021 5:34 AM

Songbird was our Class of 79 song. It's beautiful and both parents and students were crying when our band played it during commencement. It was a song about a marital break up so it was a really weird one to pick

by Anonymousreply 26January 6, 2021 8:40 AM

R26 Unfortunately McVie is mostly forgotten. I agree that Songbird is a great song but the consensus is that it should have been replaced with Silver Springs by many (Stevie) fans.

by Anonymousreply 27January 12, 2021 11:21 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!