Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Daytime drama "All My Children" may see nighttime reboot

And Skeletor Ripa has her fingers in this, too....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 208October 9, 2021 11:25 AM

If Erica/Susan Lucci is involved I'm in for an episode or 2.

by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2020 5:39 PM

This could be great or absolutely awful.

by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2020 5:39 PM

Sounds like it has potential, but I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Sounds like it's a given Ripa and Consuelos (meh) will be back since they're producing and the Santos family are key characters. I'd guess Lucci will be too, as well as Eva Larue. Who will be playing Kendall though, Gellar or Minshew? Eden Riegel as Bianca probably as well. Plus most of their offspring.

by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2020 6:39 PM

This won’t end well.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2020 6:43 PM

[R2] In the best cast scenario this might work because a proven genre - the nighttime soap - could conceivably be successfully resurrected (I know there's EMPIRE but that was niche). The catch is that there should be no woke politics allowed - only the exploitation of universal human foibles that's central to the genre - however multicultural/multiracial the cast. Then it could work. I think the worst-case scenario writes itself.

by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2020 6:50 PM

I do wish they'd do something more like a daily reboot, or a summer daily soap or something.

by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2020 6:55 PM

This is bound to suck. AMC was the most woke soap ever before “woke” was even a thing. I can only imagine what sort of treatment it will get in 2021. Having said that, AMC in its day was an amazing show. It biased great actors, memorable storylines, cast chemistry, and truly iconic characters. I would just as soon enjoy classic AMC episodes on a streamer than whatever this abortion is bound to be.

by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2020 7:13 PM

Boasted ^

by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2020 7:14 PM

Agnes Nixon knew how to do a "woke" soap. Few other HW knew how to successfully weave socially relevant or informational type plots into a show like she did.

Certainly none of the HWs that followed Nixon on AMC could do it well. Few even tried.

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2020 7:17 PM

Meh

So many greats of the show are gone now. David Canary, Ruth Warrick, James Mitchell

by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2020 7:26 PM

I miss the glitzy primetime soaps of yesteryear. This could be fun. And, if she manages to pull it off, Kelly would be worshipped by soap fans.

by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2020 7:28 PM

Having someone from Eastenders write this, with no connection to the backstory of this show - this won't be good

I think of the reboot of Dallas - that had all the ingredients and a built-in story outline for a good show, But they had a show runner who didn't know the history of the show, running things. And instead of relying on history & past characters to move the plot, they brought in new characters, that had no connection to the history of the show

That is what I think will happen with this project. Other than the name, and a few familiar faces - this will just be a brand new show and a letdown to former long-time fans

by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2020 7:33 PM

I like the new version of Dallas. It only went downhill in its last season when J.R. was dead and no longer stirring the shit.

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2020 7:38 PM

I am cautiously optimistic. The behind the scenes people have potential. I know that the old CBS and NBC soaps are more popular here, but I have long thought that AMC had the best chance of a primetime reboot.

They should kick it off with the funeral of Adam Chandler.

I wonder if Lucci and SMG could squash any beef they may have had? I loved Alicia Minshew as Kendall, but SMG would be more of a draw.

I mainly want Erica, Brooke, Tad, Angie, Jesse and Janet from Another Planet-Kate Collins version. They all have kids and grandkids who should be on the show. I'm fine with whoever else is or isn't included.

Just no RYAN LAVERY!!!!!!!!!! (Who am I kidding, you know they will have Cameron Mathison on it.)

by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2020 8:15 PM

If it's stylized like MELROSE PLACE when it hit its stride - sort of a stealth parody - and it's glammed up to an absurd degree it could be lots of fun. People could use a good, trashy DYNASTY-like show that offers pure escapist entertainment. Materialism, conspicuous consumption, romantic rivalries, murders, illicit affairs, love children, blood feuds - it's all there for the taking.

by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2020 8:19 PM

If Ripa is going to actually BE on the show, it would be fun to see her Hayley face off against her siblings JR, Skye, and Colby for control of the Chandler Empire--especially if Adam left a chunk to his ex-wives Erica and/or Brooke.

I am not sure if Julia Barr is still acting. Lucci will probably be the only vet of a "certain age" they include.

by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2020 8:23 PM

Susan Lucci replaced by Brendad Ickson.

by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2020 9:05 PM

I don't know if they will literally draw from where the story ended.

I have a feeling this will be more like the DYNASTY reboot, where the original story will be an inspiration or a jumping point, but the new show will be something else.

Not saying that's a great idea, but I'm sure THAT is the property that someone would want to buy.

by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2020 9:08 PM

I have a feeling that they have a much younger cast in mind, and probably would only have the veterans mentioned on from time to time as tokens. Even the character of Kendall is in late middle ago now, they'll want young hot actors, who will probably suck, who just happen to live in Pine Valley and are somehow related to the characters we remember fondly.

I'd love for it to be good, but it sounds like a disaster.

by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2020 9:21 PM

Idk if Kane vs Santos sounds all that enticing. I’m imagining a bunch of retcon relatives.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2020 9:23 PM

I am not against reimagining the property but I think R12 got it right - when you have someone who doesn't know the show, you're just ending up with a generic property.

The sad thing about most of the soaps is that the richness of what we remember is that they had very talented Broadway actors and movie actors playing older characters, so there was a nice layer of those very quirky kind of mature characters on most of those shows.

Contrast it now with the CW model, where the grandparents are 50 years old, the parents are 36 and the children are 25. And all of them look like they stepped out of an IKEA catalog. No edges or quirks to be had anywhere, not a wrinkle to be seen.

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2020 9:24 PM

The guy that is going to be writing this has implied the Hubbard's will be involved too. Those three families are a good start.

by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2020 9:29 PM

[R21] Very well said. When you think about great shows of the past - Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, All in the Family, etc. - the producers put the acting talent first and the casts were older-skewed - even at a time when the overall demographic of the country was younger. If they cast actors people want to watch they will watch. Larry Hagman, Joan Collins, Heather Locklear, etc.. If they could convince talent like a Joan Allen, a John Travolta, a Hilary Swank - actors who've been prestige and/or box office stars in the past whom the public knows and loves but are in a career slump - they might create some excitement. Put another way, if they got legitimate, recognizable talent that wasn't being wooed by Neflix, Hulu, etc. they could have star name recognition and the AMC brand.

by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2020 9:41 PM

The uk soaps are on night time and are still popular.

by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2020 9:46 PM

Hubbards. No apostrophe.

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2020 9:47 PM

[quote] The uk soaps are on night time and are still popular.

Yes in comparison the UK soaps draw on storylines that are more reality bases, and less outlandish - the biggest scandal on a UK soap is either a murder or an affair

That is a lifetime movie, and USA viewers have seen bigger storylines than that - and a murder or an affair on a UK soap is Sunday School compared to what the USA Soaps have done, The ante has been upped so high, that to make an "affair" the biggest storyline on a USA Soap just won't cut it

That would sell in UK but not in the USA

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2020 9:55 PM

I partly disagree, R26.

I think if the story is told right it can be suspenseful for more realistic stuff.

The 80s soaps went over the top and so did the Shonda Rimes shows. But if the suspense is more calibrated from the beginning it could work.

by Anonymousreply 27December 17, 2020 10:05 PM

[R26] If the affair were between a stripper and a politician they might be hooked.

by Anonymousreply 28December 17, 2020 10:06 PM

[quote] If the affair were between a stripper and a politician they might be hooked.

We already saw that on CNN - Donald Trump and Shady Daniels, hello?

by Anonymousreply 29December 17, 2020 10:07 PM

Maybe the biggest challenge is that there isn't an Aaron Spelling around to put all of the pieces and place and make sure it all comes off. Whatever one thinks about old Aaron, he had a great sense of what an audience would eat up and he absolutely loved actors. A nighttime soap with the common touch could probably work.

by Anonymousreply 30December 17, 2020 10:12 PM

Time to call Sarah Michelle Gellar we need her Kendall to be at the center of this hot mess!!!

by Anonymousreply 31December 17, 2020 10:57 PM

[quote]The guy that is going to be writing this has implied the Hubbard's will be involved too.

The Liz Hubbards, darling?

by Anonymousreply 32December 17, 2020 11:19 PM

Did someone call, darling?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 18, 2020 12:35 AM

Why has this thread only generated 30ish replies? I’ve caught on that the greater DL universe will panty drop for the P&G soaps time and time again. I grew up on ABC daytime, and feel like in its prime it was catnip for gay men and my perception of GL, ATWT, and AW were that they were somewhat fusty and for grandmothers. AMC had ErIca Kane for god sake! I would think news of a revival would have members swooning or panicked. No love for Pine Valley. DL has no taste.

by Anonymousreply 34December 18, 2020 11:12 AM

I hated the ABC soaps, r34, except OLTL for a brief while when Ryan Phillippe was playing Billy Douglas. I watched AMC for more than a month a couple of times, including during a summer spell of unemployment in the early '80s, when an actor named Stephen Caffrey was on. But once I got a job, I never thought about the show again. And I truly disliked Erica Kane, "for god sake!"

Now, if the reboot gods were to go to Bay City or Oakdale, that's something I'd at least try to watch.

by Anonymousreply 35December 18, 2020 11:27 AM

The real world is always more interesting than a badly produced soap opera with mediocre actors and endlessly repetitive story lines, R34.

In short: Nobody gives a shit about Erica Kane and her next love interest.

by Anonymousreply 36December 18, 2020 11:30 AM

One life to live was always the best of the three main ABC soaps! Better characters. Better actors. Better stories. 80s was camptastic! 90s was actually good socially relevant drama!

by Anonymousreply 37December 18, 2020 12:36 PM

Is someone going to tell dummy dylan at SON to stop discussing shows he knows nothing about?

by Anonymousreply 38December 18, 2020 12:50 PM

I'm making a batch of my Cheese Teasers to celebrate!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39December 18, 2020 1:51 PM

R35, you'd be screaming bloody murder if anyone made a similar comment about P&G soaps on a thread about one of them being revived.

by Anonymousreply 40December 18, 2020 1:51 PM

r40 Nothing but a logical response to the P&G dis in r34.

by Anonymousreply 41December 18, 2020 1:54 PM

R34 We've had a lot of AMC and/or OLTL threads over the years and they are somewhat popular - but the P&G shows do seem to have quite a life here. I am one of the posters who loved them, and I'm guessing DL's older crowd may lean more towards them. I also think we've developed enough of a group here that P&G fans *look* for the threads and know they exist, whereas AMC and OLTL threads seem to be more random? Just my observation.

I am the OP of most of the P&G threads, but I liked AMC and especially the comic aspects of the 80s. I always wished that more of the soaps approached storytelling with the themes Aggie used. If I'd had two more hours in the day - or if all the shows had been 30 minutes - I probably would have watched AMC and OLTL more than the now and then that I did.

by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2020 1:55 PM

This isn't a P&G thread r41. Double standard.

by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2020 2:01 PM

Felicitations, comrades!

by Anonymousreply 44December 18, 2020 2:01 PM

Since I'm a soap fan, I'm going to make a prediction. This has disaster written all over it.

1) You can never satisfy daytime fans. They will be some key AMC element missing from this reboot that will send them into fits.

2) They will most likely not want to cast soap actors, which means some old favorites might show up, but they might have difference faces.

3) Two words. Prospect. Park.

4) The Santos family?

5) I hope it succeeds, but daytime fans are going to need to fight against all of their destructive instincts and impulses to allow this thing to work.

by Anonymousreply 45December 18, 2020 2:04 PM

There used to be quite a bit of threads about AMC and especially OLTL, but most of those posters have seemed to stop posting here.

by Anonymousreply 46December 18, 2020 2:06 PM

The Santos family?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 18, 2020 2:08 PM

R47 Why did you post a picture of Casey Bowman here? This is an AMC thread, not a Loving one.

by Anonymousreply 48December 18, 2020 2:11 PM

It was a joke, R48, because Paul Anthony Stewart played Danny SANTOS on Guiding Light.

by Anonymousreply 49December 18, 2020 2:12 PM

[quote] 2) They will most likely not want to cast soap actors, which means some old favorites might show up, but they might have difference faces.

This will be the hardest balance to hit...almost impossible....to bring on enough familiar faces yet have new people for younger viewers to get invested in watching.

by Anonymousreply 50December 18, 2020 2:13 PM

R49 I know. I was joking too.

Paul Anthony Stewart looked better on GL than he did on Loving.

by Anonymousreply 51December 18, 2020 2:15 PM

I swear that dumb Dylan at SON gets dumber by the minute. Jesus. He’s so fucking retarded. And Soapsuds is still an old pervert. Fat and ugly grampa drooling over actors young enough to he his grandchildren. Beyond skeevy.

by Anonymousreply 52December 18, 2020 2:17 PM

What they should do is pull out the show's original bible and watch episodes from the first couple of years and reboot it that way, instead of considering some kind of continuation. The original AMC was, before Pine Valley got a skyline and it was more Peyton Place than Philadelphia, it was some good shit and topical too.

by Anonymousreply 53December 18, 2020 2:23 PM

R51 Yes, he didn't have the chia hair.

Unfortunately as a long time GL fan I hated the Santos family. Springfield needed some flavor, for sure, but the Santoses were slapped together and Danny was an attempt to copy Sonny on GH.

by Anonymousreply 54December 18, 2020 2:28 PM

[quote] What they should do is pull out the show's original bible and watch episodes from the first couple of years and reboot it that way, instead of considering some kind of continuation. The original AMC was, before Pine Valley got a skyline and it was more Peyton Place than Philadelphia, it was some good shit and topical too.

The thing I like about EastEnders is that they're all in a defined community space, which many of the shows including AMC used to have the sense of when you watched them.

Also Desperate Housewives - they too had that sense that everything took place in that one world. That would go hand in hand with what you're saying

by Anonymousreply 55December 18, 2020 2:32 PM

[quote] an actor named Stephen Caffrey

Fuzzy!

by Anonymousreply 56December 18, 2020 2:35 PM

This won’t work out well. It won’t be a 5 night a week 52 weeks a year show. They’ll be lucky to get a greenlight for 10 episodes.

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2020 5:58 PM

I stroked out many a load to Caffrey and Michael E Knight.

(prefer to remember them as they were, ahem)

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2020 6:33 PM

Start with a catastrophe.

A Poseidon Adventure kind of thing - the classic (pruny) characters co-mingling with the new faces.

Establish the relationships, wax nostalgic, then:

typhoon

ship sinks

drownings

shark attacks

bing bang boom - out with the old, in with the new.

by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2020 8:10 PM

R58 when Caffrey lived on West 12th, I saw him a few times with a young black actor from AMC in the 4X12 bar, now The Cubby Hole. Anyone remember AMC actor's name?

by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2020 9:51 PM

R60 Darnell Williams?

by Anonymousreply 61December 18, 2020 9:54 PM

Yeah, Darnell is no stranger to cock. It was him

by Anonymousreply 62December 18, 2020 9:55 PM

Darnell has a huge chocolate stick.

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2020 9:21 AM

This will be to All My Children what Riverdale is to Archie. Comics. Familiar character names and places, and nothing else. It'll likely get one season on the CW, and maybe streamed after on Netflix.

Ripa and Consuelos are just trying to monetize a familiar IP.

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2020 11:06 AM

Of course the Consuelos’ are in for the money. Nothing else.

by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2020 11:09 AM

Ahem r65 we also need to get our 3 photogenic children employed too

by Anonymousreply 66December 19, 2020 12:03 PM

If Mark Consuelos was full time they could casr Eva Longoria as his wife. She'd be a good foil for Erica and/or Kendall.

(Assuming, of course, that Skeletor is too busy with her talk show to do more than pop in once or twice a season as Mateo's ex)

by Anonymousreply 67December 19, 2020 2:55 PM

Andrew Caffery has lost his looks and is now fat

by Anonymousreply 68December 19, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote] I stroked out many a load to Caffrey and Michael E Knight.

Stroke to this - where Michael E. Knight seduces Mia Sara (from Ferris Bueller)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 19, 2020 2:58 PM

R69 I probably did back in the day!

by Anonymousreply 70December 19, 2020 3:01 PM

Did you guys think that Tad was gay back then? That clip is sending up all kinds of red flags.

by Anonymousreply 71December 19, 2020 3:02 PM

There's been a number of rumors that MEK was or is gay or bi, including the whole sordid business with James Scott, aka EJ's 13 x 8.5 on DAYS.

by Anonymousreply 72December 19, 2020 3:03 PM

Despite Michael E. Knight playing "Tad the Cad" and being so sleazy, sleeping with every girl in sight

In real-life he is quite reserved and very shy - so this is some sort of acting he is doing

Fun fact, he is a former classmate of Bradley Whitford (West Wing)

by Anonymousreply 73December 19, 2020 3:06 PM

Rumors, r72? I thought it was true.

by Anonymousreply 74December 19, 2020 3:06 PM

R74 No one has seen it with their eyes, but the James Scott thing was reported on (without names) on a few soap blogs.

I knew someone who was on Another World in the 80s (in a minor recurring role) that says he was at a party where he, MEK and a few other actors basically had an orgy. MEK loved being sucked and having his nipples pinched, if my friend is to be believed, and Michael Corbett is (surprisingly) a rough top.

by Anonymousreply 75December 19, 2020 3:08 PM

From that scene, I'm not getting a seduction... I'm getting let's braid each other's hair and paint our nails.

by Anonymousreply 76December 19, 2020 3:09 PM

R76 which I'm sure is a great summary of his marriage to Cat Hickland.

by Anonymousreply 77December 19, 2020 3:15 PM

[quote] and Michael Corbett is (surprisingly) a rough top.

Why surprisingly? He was hot back in the day (still is)

by Anonymousreply 78December 19, 2020 3:16 PM

But he always struck me as a bit of a priss so I would have thought he was more bottomy

by Anonymousreply 79December 19, 2020 3:22 PM

I don't know about the rough part, but the top part is true of Corbett. And according to old school DL soap threads, Darnell and Geary used to fuck. Darnell may have also fucked Terry Lester on the regular.

by Anonymousreply 80December 19, 2020 3:28 PM

Louis Edmonds (Langley) used to refer to Darnell behind the scenes at AMC as "Danielle"

by Anonymousreply 81December 19, 2020 3:30 PM

Hope they bring back Palmer Courtland, Nina and Dorothy Lyman's Opal.

by Anonymousreply 82December 19, 2020 3:39 PM

Did Louis Edmonds suck Darnell’s night stick?

by Anonymousreply 83December 19, 2020 4:09 PM

R83 - No

by Anonymousreply 84December 19, 2020 4:12 PM

I hope it is successful, only because I hope it will lead to some sort of OLTL continuation. While the show will certainly focus on younger characters you know Susan Lucci and Eva La Rue will get plenty of airtime. One good thing about Kelly and Mark being behind this is that I think it is much more likely that if any AMC characters appear they will be played by the original actors or at least offered to them first.

R53 ABC/Disney now owns the rights to Peyton Place after buying FOX. I'd love for them to do a period drama revival of it.

by Anonymousreply 85December 19, 2020 4:41 PM

Will The Real Greenlee be in this?

by Anonymousreply 86December 19, 2020 5:18 PM

R82 Of course, James Mitchell is dead. But it might be the right role for a certain kind of prissy actor that can be both Gothic and intimidating.

by Anonymousreply 87December 19, 2020 6:10 PM

[quorte] you know Susan Lucci and Eva La Rue will get plenty of airtime.

I think Eva would actually be great as the Santos family matriarch. While I tend to think of Brooke and Natalie as Erica's main rivals (with honorable mention to Barbara), Lucci and La Rue were great together. I actually thought Lucci might finally win the Emmy for the miscarriage/baby napping storyline. As unpopular as it was, it might have been some of her best stuff. Plus, there would be some real history of conflict between the two of them. Erica and Hayley were actually pretty close at one point.

I am guessing if the do go with SMG for Kendell, she and Erica won't have a ton of scenes. I wonder if they would revert to them having an antagonistic relationship and Kendell.

If they did bring back Lucci, hopefully they would know enough to know that Erica was actually not a daytime version of Alexis or a female JR. She was selfish and a bitch, scheming, and often smart, but she was basically damaged goods and not some villainess plotting to destroy lives, at least by the mid to late 80s. Also, humor was a key part to the characters success.

If the plot is kicked up by a young journalist, I wonder if it will be some grandchild of Brooke's.

by Anonymousreply 88December 19, 2020 7:21 PM

It'll be interesting to see these characters in a weekly primetime soap format

by Anonymousreply 89December 19, 2020 10:10 PM

Dumb Dylan from the Son board is having orgasms over AMC - a show he never watched. Moron.

by Anonymousreply 90December 20, 2020 9:59 AM

Dummy Dylan was a toddler when AMC 1.0 left the air. He never learned how to make sentences or spell.

by Anonymousreply 91December 20, 2020 10:11 AM

The word is there will be an all new cast except for Lucci now and then. Mark and Kelly will recur.

by Anonymousreply 92December 20, 2020 10:15 AM

Side Note: If I had been Susan Lucci (who I adore), I would've been absent the night I finally won the Emmy. I wouldn't have been as gracious. I absolutely would not have been as gracious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 20, 2020 10:28 AM

[quote]The word is there will be an all new cast except for Lucci now and then. Mark and Kelly will recur.

My first reaction is this will not go over well with the avid fans, but the show has been off the air for 9 years, and at the time, the youngest of the established fan favorites were pushing 40. I think Eva would still work. Mark looks good as well, but Matteo was not my favorite. Similar with Cameron, he still looks good, but no need to force Ryan Laverly into this. Budig's Greenlee could possibly work if she returned to her pre-Ryan state. I always felt she is the one who should have been the Kendell recast. She and Erica had an interesting dynamic before the recast Kendell returned and esp. before she was made Jack's daughter where the dynamic became much more one note.

We will have to see. I suspect it might be a bad idea in retrospect, but it has been long enough since I was really into the show (a good five years plus before the actual cancellation) where I am not going to lose much sleep over it if it doesn't work. I just hope they don't just go dark without including some of the humor and eccentricities of the small town and its residents (really even under her diva exterior even Erica fit this mold when written well).

by Anonymousreply 94December 20, 2020 12:33 PM

Yeah, I don't see this fairing well if they only bring back a few old characters. Many older fans wouldn't give the Prospect Park/Hulu reboot a chance because they didn't bring back some of their faves right away (and they brought back a good amount as it was) and because of the different format. Their loss, since the show was actually quite good. Better than it had been in some time on ABC.

But on the other hand, I could totally see ABC doing that to keep the costs down.

by Anonymousreply 95December 20, 2020 1:15 PM

Or faring well, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 96December 20, 2020 1:16 PM

The main audience for this is outside of the desirable demographic. So the only way they can make this work is with a whole slew of new faces. When they rebooted Dark Shadows, they didn't bring Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall back. If you want to tell the All My Children story for a new generation you have to start the series with a NEW generation, which means new faces and maybe Susan Lucci guest starring in every other episode.

And for the record, why hasn't Deidre Hall posted once in thread offering to play Lucci's Great Great Granddaughter? You bitches are slipping.

by Anonymousreply 97December 20, 2020 1:21 PM

[quote] And for the record, why hasn't Deidre Hall posted once in thread offering to play Lucci's Great Great Granddaughter? You bitches are slipping.

Because it's stale.

by Anonymousreply 98December 20, 2020 1:45 PM

Of course the show will be more focused on the younger characters and go more the younger demographic, but there is room for some older characters as well as supporting characters.

The show is going to center around the Kane and Santos familes (and maybe the Hubbards involved as well). Lucci and Eva Larue are both very well preserved and "prime time" attractive enough to at least be recurring characters. Both have some name value as well.

by Anonymousreply 99December 20, 2020 1:46 PM

[quote]Because it's stale.

Since when has that stopped Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 100December 20, 2020 1:54 PM

Lame r100.

by Anonymousreply 101December 20, 2020 1:57 PM

There would be zero point to bringing back SMG as Kendall if she didn’t play opposite Susan Lucci. Those two just need to bury the hatchet and turn the page. Would be so great to see them reunited after all these years. They had insane twisted mother/daughter chemistry, and when the powers that be had to minimize their on screen interactions, the show and storylines suffered.

by Anonymousreply 102December 20, 2020 2:26 PM

They are not bringing back anyone, except maybe Lucci and that annoying Kelly and Mark. This is primetime, they are not going to bring on soap people.

by Anonymousreply 103December 20, 2020 2:32 PM

R103 - SMG IS prime time, dummy. Have you never heard of Buffy?

by Anonymousreply 104December 20, 2020 2:37 PM

[quote]When they rebooted Dark Shadows, they didn't bring Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall back.

Maybe the show would have lasted beyond 13 episodes if they had.

by Anonymousreply 105December 20, 2020 2:39 PM

They are bringing back Lucci, Kelly and Mark. That's it. SMG has other projects. You people are stupid and are why this shit will fail.

by Anonymousreply 106December 20, 2020 2:40 PM

R104 Eva LaRue and Debbi Morgan have had some success in prime time also. So they aren't just "soap people."

by Anonymousreply 107December 20, 2020 2:41 PM

One thing's for sure: All the men will have chests like Ken dolls.

by Anonymousreply 108December 20, 2020 2:42 PM

I don't care if they bring back old characters per se. I gather it's a reinvention and will not be a reboot.

What I do care about is that they capture some of the magic of Pine Valley. We need a Phoebeish character, a Palmer. We need someone to be the Mona Kane, and/or the Opal. It doesn't need to be THOSE characters, but that energy. That kind of small town friction.

If we have a CW lite version where Maria Santos is playing the lead's grandma or great grandma, and the focus of the show is a 14 year old, then this is a big Why Bother.

by Anonymousreply 109December 20, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote]I gather it's a reinvention and will not be a reboot.

What is the difference? I was reading a Beverly Hills 90210 thread last night and a couple of people referred to a "real reboot." I had no idea what that meant. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 110December 20, 2020 2:55 PM

R110 A reboot would be more, bringing back the cast/characters as we last saw them.

A reinvention would be more like DYNASTY, where some aspects of the story are reused, but in new ways - not an exact remake.

I suspect this will land somewhere in the middle.

by Anonymousreply 111December 20, 2020 3:00 PM

R66, Michael got film degree (NYU?), now he can ride on daddy's coat tails ... lightly in his loafers.

by Anonymousreply 112December 20, 2020 3:05 PM

At a fan event, a woman asked Ruth if she and Louie were a couple off-camera. She said "No, he has someone else."

by Anonymousreply 113December 20, 2020 3:07 PM

To save money they'll do it in Canada. Do SAG/AFTRA actors get the same money if they cross the border?

by Anonymousreply 114December 20, 2020 3:13 PM

Will and Grace was a reboot.

Dynasty is a reinvention as R111 said.

Riverdale/Sabrina/Nancy Drew/hardy Boys is a reimagining.

Shows like The Flash/Arrow/Superman & Lois/ are, I think, different universes

by Anonymousreply 115December 20, 2020 3:23 PM

Or maybe, going even farther back, it will be like Mary Tyler Moore then Lou Grant.

Some of the same fictional characters but in a reimagined fictional universe, with lots of new faces and an occasional reference to the old ones.

by Anonymousreply 116December 20, 2020 3:29 PM

Thank you, r111 r115 r116. I don't watch any of the shows r115 listed. No wonder I didn't understand the difference. R116, now I get it.

by Anonymousreply 117December 20, 2020 3:33 PM

You're welcome, R117.

Just for that, I'll send you Polaroids of Lars Lindstrom's cock. Quite the Swedish delight.

by Anonymousreply 118December 20, 2020 3:36 PM

I will be playing Silver Kane, the sister and contemporary of Susan Lucci’s Erica. I bring in #1 ratings.

by Anonymousreply 119December 21, 2020 12:26 AM

[quote] The word is there will be an all new cast except for Lucci now and then. Mark and Kelly will recur.

Of course the main cast will be primarily new people playing younger characters. But, if they were smart they will feature some of the older people/actors when the story calls for it. Like on the New Dallas when they brought Afton back for a few episodes, or had Lucy and Ray pop in and say a few lines every so often. It helps to keep the old fans happy without alienating the new ones. Also, the line between soap actors and others has blurred. I just watched the wonderful Netflix film "Mank" and there were at least three three actors that first became known on soaps.

If they really want this to sell, I hope they are trying to get Michael B. Jordan to agree to guest star in the premiere. He has always spoken highly of his time on the show.

by Anonymousreply 120December 21, 2020 1:51 AM

The only thing they produced was some shitty reaity tv show about soap actors. -

by Anonymousreply 121December 21, 2020 2:15 AM

I’m the dumbest person at SON.

by Anonymousreply 122December 21, 2020 2:33 AM

I’m the perviest person at SON.

by Anonymousreply 123December 21, 2020 5:21 AM

This is a concept that hasn't even gone to pilot. As mentioned above, this would be a reimagining, not a reboot. Familiar names, not faces. Filmed in Canada, for either the CW or streaming. 95% of the people emotionally invested in this idea wouldn't watch it past the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 124December 21, 2020 11:46 AM

R124 Exactly. Dumb fuck Dylan from SON already has the show airing. Stupid moron.

by Anonymousreply 125December 21, 2020 2:09 PM

I doubt it will be a reimagining. In a reimagining NONE of the original actors appear. But, we know Kelly and Mark are appearing and probably Lucci.

It will probably fall somewhere between the New Dallas and the CW 90210, in terms of original actors appearing and what roles they play in the stories. The New Dallas was a straight up continuation with the older characters still being front and center, while the new 90210 was more a sequel with Kelly and the others recurring for the first two years and then phased out.

Speaking of Lucci, as she will be the big news, they better not pull a Big Sky and kill her off in the first episode.

by Anonymousreply 126December 21, 2020 2:52 PM

Okie dokie, R126 . You seem smart.

by Anonymousreply 127December 21, 2020 3:35 PM

R121 And pretty much everyone looked bad especially that bitch Farah Fath and pre-obese junkie Kirsten Storms.

by Anonymousreply 128December 21, 2020 10:50 PM

Lucci is fake.

by Anonymousreply 129December 21, 2020 11:56 PM

Julia Barr became a late in life lesbian? Holy shit!

by Anonymousreply 130December 22, 2020 1:59 AM

This worries me because it feels like another "Tales of the City" ready to happen. When they brought it back to Netflix they hired some AWFUL bitch show runner who wasn't even aware of Tales of the City to write/run the show and it was a huge piece of overly woke shit that had nothing to do with the original books or why people loved them.

You hire people who know, love and respect the material for a project...not some twat who needs a job and hasn't got a clue other than trying to tell some shitty story THEY want to tell.

Also: I loved Ripa ON AMC back in the day but I hate her now and this sounds like a vanity project she's gonna fuck up just to show everyone how much power she now has (compared to her old AMC co-stars).

by Anonymousreply 131December 22, 2020 2:05 AM

[quote]Julia Barr became a late in life lesbian? Holy shit!

I must of missed a post. I don't think I have seen her at any of the AMC talk show or online reunions. I am glad they at least brought her back to help escort off Adam and for the finale to have one last scene with Erica. Barr was good with everyone, but always loved her scenes with Adam and/or Erica. She was probably Erica's longest relationship.

Lucci was supposed to start a series on Hallmark mysteries, but it seems like it never got passed the planning stage. That probably would have been a good fit for her. Too bad Devious Maids did not last a couple of more seasons. It wasn't necessarily great, but could be entertaining and that probably was the perfect part for her. Played to her strengths, but was different enough from Erica, and she was part of ensemble, so the character was on about the right amount of time. That was one of AMCs faults the last ten years or so, the ingenue at the moment dominated the show for 5 days a week. When it was at its best you usually had six stories rotating, with three to four a day. Even Barr and Lucci were only on about 3 days a week.

by Anonymousreply 132December 22, 2020 12:16 PM

If anyone has posting privileges at SON, can you tell Dumb Dylan to stop being so fucking stupid. Please and thank you. He’s making up all kinds of stupid shit about the AMC reboot. He’s so fucking dumb.

by Anonymousreply 133December 22, 2020 1:23 PM

Tell dummy Dylan to learn how to read. Also tell ugly perv allmc2008 to go back to his creepy corner and stop posting. LOL he thinks he is writing a book on daytime

by Anonymousreply 134December 22, 2020 1:57 PM

Amc2008 is totally gross and homely.

by Anonymousreply 135December 22, 2020 2:06 PM

Kelly Ripa has stated that pimply and ample Vee from SON will have a massive role in dictating all story and casting. She never forgot how well Vee vacuumed her AMC dressing room. We are in good hands. Vee is in the biz, you know.

by Anonymousreply 136December 22, 2020 2:10 PM

Who are these people you keep talking about? R136

by Anonymousreply 137December 22, 2020 2:23 PM

Someone mentally ill has hijacked this thread. The person who rants about whoever the hell Dylan from SON is deranged. Please kindly be gone.

by Anonymousreply 138December 22, 2020 2:48 PM

Vee is in the biz, you know. And Soapsuds took his viagra to jerk off to young enough to be his grandson Chambo. SON is full of dummies and perverts.

by Anonymousreply 139December 22, 2020 2:57 PM

Just block it.

by Anonymousreply 140December 22, 2020 3:19 PM

I am pretty sure the soap troll here is "Eboneece" formerly of SON. This person started the Schoche Marin stuff. They stupidly included their username on one of their early gifs.

The troll I think is a troll who pretends to be a troll and gets their kicks out of highjacking everything.

Soaps are dead fish. Its sad to read this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 141December 22, 2020 3:20 PM

Vee is posting on here.

by Anonymousreply 142December 22, 2020 3:32 PM

I feel like with Mark's 'Riverdale' connections, he'll poach or hire some writers from there (besides which, how much longer will 'Riverdale' last?) to work on 'Pine Valley'. TBH, I only watched 'AMC' during the big Dixie/Tad years, and fell in love with Dixie. Perhaps she can come back as a ghost (yet again). For whatever can be said of Ripa, she's smart to announce this endeavour in December, so her underlings can pick up on what the catty soap fans and gays (and gay soap fans) are saying on message boards. Then the show either gets picked up next May, or as a mid-season show. Or they postpone it to make sure "it's done right" (big quotes).

Side note: I used to work at a resort where La Lucci and her husband stayed 3-4 times a year, and I think she's enjoying retirement. She's the most petite, porcelain doll-like person I've ever seen in my life.

by Anonymousreply 143December 22, 2020 3:59 PM

I suspect at this point Lucci would not mind an occasional dramatic appearance as a supporting/recurring, but whose presence is felt, but probably does not want to work 80 hours a week.

Dixie came back from the dead (again) right before the series ended. So she would not even have to be a ghost. She might have also been in the Prospect Park version. I was going to check it out, but I think in the first or second week they announced they were cutting back on the number of shows aired each week, and I took that as a sign it was already doomed.

by Anonymousreply 144December 22, 2020 4:20 PM

I don’t think Dixie is dead anymore. I’d love to see Cady McClain in this.

by Anonymousreply 145December 22, 2020 4:21 PM

R144 and R145, you're both correct...glad to know Dixie lives! As someone mentioned about, they at least need to pull a 'Dallas' reboot and have some of the old school characters stop by for a line or two. The fact that the head writer guy also wrote for 'Katy Keene' (cancelled after 13 eps) and 'Star' (which lasted a respectable, but dismal three seasons) isn't a good sign. Lucy Hale will somehow get cast in this as Erika's long-lost granddaughter or something.

by Anonymousreply 146December 22, 2020 4:32 PM

Dixie could fill a Ruth Martin like role. Tad and Dixie were not my favorite couple overall (although did not hate them and like the actors/characters), but there initial story with Adam-Brooke-Tad-Dixie (and really starting with Laura's death) was classic soap. I think it kind of kicked AMC out of the doldrums it had in the mid-80s leading up to the last good era that lasted into the mid-90's.

by Anonymousreply 147December 22, 2020 4:55 PM

Cady McClain is on Days of our Lives right now, so she might not be available. I'm not sure how much longer she'll be on since she's just filling in for someone.

by Anonymousreply 148December 22, 2020 4:58 PM

Cady is doing a nice job on DOOL. She is better as Jennifer than that idiot who usually plays her. Hopefully they keep her.

by Anonymousreply 149December 22, 2020 5:24 PM

Cady’s a whacko. Koo koo nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 150December 22, 2020 5:47 PM

Can we get Marcy Walker out of retirement for this?

by Anonymousreply 151December 22, 2020 9:50 PM

In other AMC news Sandy Gabriel who played Edna will be the next guest on the Locher Room

by Anonymousreply 152December 22, 2020 9:53 PM

This needs Sarah Michelle Gellar to represent the Kane clan sorry about Erika Kane isn’t going to drive a show like she did decades ago...

by Anonymousreply 153December 23, 2020 2:01 AM

R132 One of the best things Prospect Park did was to bring Julia Barr's Brooke back as a permanent character.

by Anonymousreply 154December 23, 2020 3:10 AM

Saw Jamie Luner, former Liza, in a holiday movie on tv last night. She was botoxed within an inch of her life.

by Anonymousreply 155December 23, 2020 9:48 AM

R155 I watch her all the time on Melrose Place reruns as Lexi Sterling, she had great chemistry with Jack Wagner's (FRISCO!) Dr. Peter Burns

Now THAT was a great primetime soap done right and the showrunner of Melrose was the guy who AMC fans said destroyed AMC , when he took over, Charles Pratt JR.

by Anonymousreply 156December 23, 2020 12:41 PM

I was barely watching when Lunar showed up, but I remember thinking, do they even know who Liza Colby is? Lunar could be great - she was good in Savana as well, but as she was written on AMC she just was not Liza. I watched a little more frequently the last summer, when I knew it was ending, and I think by that point she might have been largely back-burnererd. I don't remember anything about her storyline as well. It might not have helped that they were not quite sure what to do with Colby. She might have been a decent Skye replacement.

I do remember there were stories that Pratt told the existing cast, that Lunar was going to show him how it was done, which did not help endear him to the cast. Lucci hardly ever says anything publicly, but she did blast him (and Frons).

by Anonymousreply 157December 23, 2020 12:52 PM

Lucci is mostly retired. Her over 80 hubby isn’t in the best of health.

by Anonymousreply 158December 23, 2020 1:47 PM

Poor Vicky Sleestack. Queen Michael Fairman linked Sleestack’s annual update and our beloved Vicky has the bunions and can’t walk. Will she be well enough for a OLTL reboot???? Tune in......

by Anonymousreply 159December 23, 2020 4:03 PM

R158 was Pratt involved in Savannah too?

One of the great things about the Aaron Spelling nighttime soaps was that he had veterans from daytime soaps as their showrunners, people who knew how to do soap opera storytelling

He had Pratt on Melrose Place

And on BH 90210, the husband and wife team of Steve Wasserman and Jessica Klein, veteran writers of daytime soaps, were showrunners on 90210 during the college years (93-97). Klein returned to daytime as one of the writers on the Prospect Park OLTL reboot

A primetime AMC needs a storyteller from daytime soaps to plot it all out

by Anonymousreply 160December 23, 2020 4:19 PM

I love the person who thinks OLTL will get a reboot. OLTL was always the unwanted red-headed step child of ABC.

GH was the flag ship

AMC was the class

all the others, including OLTL, were just time fillers to get to AMC and GH.

by Anonymousreply 161December 23, 2020 4:22 PM

Miss Victoria Sleestack and her 6 emmys make her the all time QUEEN of ABC daytime. Bunions and all.

by Anonymousreply 162December 23, 2020 5:37 PM

[quote] Lunar could be great

Oh, dear.

[quote] she was good in Savana as well

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 163December 23, 2020 5:42 PM

Agree with R161- Despite his effort to trash the show.

OLTL was my favorite soap by far- but it will never be rebooted. It never had the cache or the name recognition. Even when OLTL was higher rated than AMC- it did not matter.

AMC and GH are icons. OLTL was the quirky show that ABC never respected, even when it was excellent at times.

It's finale had higher ratings that AMC's final episode, which shocked me.

I particularly loathed AMC, as it was always looked cheap as dogshit and Lucci may be the most overrated actress ever in daytime. I found it overrated and much preferred Y&R.

by Anonymousreply 164December 23, 2020 8:19 PM

I really wasn't trying to trash the show, R164. When OLTL was good, it was by far the best soap on ABC daytime, exempting The Edge of Night. I didn't respect all of that mid 80s Eterna and Wild West mess, but the show had strong bones and during it's run had moments of greatness. It was just sandwiched between the only two shows that ABC really cared about.

And I agree with you, AMC always looked cheap to me too. I never really understood what was so great about that show past 1975. GH had better production values, but while their stories modernized and revolutionized soap opera, GH's ascendency was sort of the beginning of the downward spiral of the genre.

by Anonymousreply 165December 23, 2020 10:01 PM

Well said R165! I like you better now :) Agree with every word.

For some reason, that was the one thing about AMC I could not get past- how fucking cheap it looked. Especially at its supreme comeback in 1990? 1991? The Janet In the Well era-

The show stayed at #2 while OLTL and even GH struggled. I would catch AMC here and there during the Janet/Natalie storyline and that was the low point of the show's production values. (And that storyline DID hook me).

by Anonymousreply 166December 23, 2020 10:12 PM

AMC likely stayed high in the ratings as long as it did for much the same reason that Y&R did - it was close to lunchtime.

Well, that and that hussy Susan Lucci.

by Anonymousreply 167December 24, 2020 12:15 AM

When a soap storyline is good, the sets don't really matter. And back in the 70s, all the soaps were operating on a low budget that didn't allow much money for sets.

It was only in the 80s when the soaps got a budget increase that the sets started looking more expensive.

Take a look at some of the Ryan's Hope sets in the 70s. Bargain basement budget sets, but the storylines were usually so good you overlooked it.

by Anonymousreply 168December 24, 2020 1:34 AM

Oltl was the best even when it was campy it was never boring. You don’t forget eterna or the Wild West nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 169December 24, 2020 1:45 AM

I would like to point out that even when the shows got budgets in the mid 80s, AMC still looked cheap. Y&R may have been the first soap with decent sets, but the lighting was so dark (moody Conboy called it) for the first 5 years you couldn't see them. AMC also didn't use a lot of background music which was different from the other shows. They had the act break stings until about the mid 80s, then they added a regular score like the other shows.

by Anonymousreply 170December 24, 2020 2:13 AM

The soaps getting ritzy sets and suddenly having office towers, etc. is part of what killed them.

by Anonymousreply 171December 24, 2020 2:14 AM

Good luck to AMC and all the AMC fans here. I hope it works out for you.

by Anonymousreply 172December 24, 2020 2:15 AM

r167 you realize both AMC and Y&R aired at different times around the country. They were not always noon shows. Growing up Y&R was on at 2.

by Anonymousreply 173December 24, 2020 2:23 AM

When I was kid, Y&R came on at Noon followed by Search for Tomorrow, then Y&R switched to 12:30 est and Search for Tomorrow moved to 2:30 est. I wasn't a regular AMC watcher, but it always seemed to come at the same time as Days, which was 1:00 est. At one point AMC was 45 minutes. Some weird hybrid between the half hour and the hour shows.

by Anonymousreply 174December 24, 2020 2:26 AM

I don't necessarily agree that ABC didn't care about OLTL, especially at the end. Notice, they didn't move any AMC characters over to the "flagship" soap GH. But, they did integrate numerous OLTL characters. Which is what led to the Prospect Park lawsuit. It is especially glaring, since GH already shared an AMC legacy character Skye Chandler, and Anna Devine, who spent time on both shows, so AMC would've probably been easier to integrate since they were already connected.

by Anonymousreply 175December 24, 2020 2:41 AM

Can somebody tell Dumb Dylan to STFU about the AMC reboot and every other subject at SON?

by Anonymousreply 176December 24, 2020 2:56 AM

It was GH and OLTL that had 45 minute run times for 18 months, from July 1976 to Jan. 1978.

AMC was never 45 minutes long.

ABC wanted to expand AMC to 60 minutes back in 1975 when Another World and Days of Our Lives had such success expanding to 60 minutes. However, Agnes Nixon fought it, saying 30 minutes is the length for a soap. Finally, in April 1977, ABC convinced her to go to 60 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 177December 24, 2020 4:34 AM

R176 Unfortunately my posting privileges were revoked at SON or I’d certainly tell fucking moron Dylan to STFU. I’ve never seen a dumber person. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 178December 24, 2020 5:53 AM

AMC was always my favorite soap. I started watching as a preteen. The era with the original Silver storyline, Greg/Jenny/Jesse/Angie/Liza teen group, Nina and Steve Jacobi, Opal and Langley, etc. l loved it for so many years-I even had the board game! It was pretty terrible the last few years, but there was enough still there to keep me recording it to the end. It got much better in the last few months because they brought in former Head Writer Lorraine Broderick to usher it out.

I actually hated Erica/Lucci the first few years I watched it, but I grew to love her. I'd hoped she would have eventually been on the Hulu version, but that wasn't to be. Shame, that reboot was actually good and felt like the REAL AMC.

The only other soaps I was ever really into were ATWT and AW, but really only in the 80s and early 90s. After college I only had time for one soap, and that was AMC. I've tried watching some of the few current remaining soaps, but they are all just painful to watch.

by Anonymousreply 179December 24, 2020 11:21 AM

I watched AMC as a child starting in 1986 until around 1999. I loved it so much. Natalie in the well, Who Killed Will, Adam gaslighting Dixie, Kendall coming to town, Ross raping Natalie, Erica and Dimitri, Hayley/Alec/Arlene, Liza’s big return and breaking up Tad and Dixie, Jesse’s death, Nico and Cecily, Billy Clyde, Nina and Cliff, Laura’s heartbreaking death... what a soap. Truly fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 180December 24, 2020 1:12 PM

R180 - that is roughly about when I watched, although I made it to about 2005. I think the only good story after you mentioned was Bianca's coming out. I thought they did a decent job with her, Michael's, and Kevin's coming out stories, but then dropped the ball once that was done. At that time they were still really hesitant to actually show a gay relationship. Other than that the introduction of David Hayward, his mother (when she was an amoral socialite not a psychotic drug lord) and Leo were about the only other highlights post 2000. Early Greenlee had potential, but eventually she was stuck on an endless loop with Kendell and Ryan.

I always wondered if Nico and Cecily were meant to be a true couple or if initially just a road block for Julie and Nico to get back together, but they worked so well they went with it.

by Anonymousreply 181December 24, 2020 1:39 PM

I watched AMC from when I was a kid from around 1988 (Laura is killed by a drunk driver storyline) to 1995 (around the time SMG's Kendell left) and picked up Days of Our Lives and became hooked on the outrageousness and camp of that soap at that time (Marlena possessed by Satan!) and a few former AMC actors were on DAYS at the time like the guy who played Ross in the late 80s on AMC and Nick Benedict

When Soapnet began airing all the same day episodes of the ABC soaps and DAYS at night, I started watching AMC again but could no longer recognize or get into it, around 2004-2005, it was all about that douche Ryan

by Anonymousreply 182December 24, 2020 5:43 PM

I videotaped and watched AMC when I first heard that high school teacher Michael Delaney (Chris Bruno) was going to come out as gay. His storyline was really well done and included Jason Sheffield trying to shoot him after Jason’s brother Kevin (Ben Jorgensen) also came out. The character of Michael had a very tame romance with Dr. Brad Phillips (future Broadway actor Daniel McDonald). I stopped watching when the gay storylines were dropped, but they did run for a couple of years. Sadly, both McDonald and Jorgensen have died. Daniel McDonald died from brain cancer in 2007 at 46. Ben Jorgensen was 51 when he committed suicide this past October.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183December 24, 2020 5:57 PM

I am the OLTL fan above who said that AMC looked like dogshit. I will take that back, minimally.

The show looked excellent in the late 80's. See the Julia Barr Laura's death scenes-

I want to say that was Jaqueline Babbin? The show looked elegant and the lighting was decent. It looks like 86-89 based on episodes on Youtube. But in 1991-92 the show looked horrific.

I recall Brooke having an amazing set at one point (her home) This must have been in the mid 90's?? It was HUGE and I vaguely recall stain glass windows- I had never seen such an elaborate set on AMC.

by Anonymousreply 184December 24, 2020 8:40 PM

The lesbian Jackie Babbin left AMC in 1986.

by Anonymousreply 185December 24, 2020 11:00 PM

To me the NBC soaps were always the ones that looked cheap. Even AW didn't look as good as the other P&G soaps.

by Anonymousreply 186December 25, 2020 12:10 AM

I tried to get into AMC, but apart from a few good actors the show was such a cheap product. It was the same often ridiculous story line over and over and over again. The way most actors were delivering their lines was awful. The sets dressing, the production was cheap, the few outdoor scenes looked terribly un-cinematic.

I fail to understand how people could get hooked on AMC for decades.

by Anonymousreply 187December 25, 2020 12:33 AM

[quote]AW didn't look as good as the other P&G soaps.

That awful blue sofa from Value City.

by Anonymousreply 188December 25, 2020 12:40 AM

I don't agree with that at all, The Cory mansion with that glorious clubby looking study/family room that had the patio that overlooked the Bay was a nice set. Iris' mansion with the above ground pool was a nice set. Even Ada's working class out with that screen door into the kitchen really worked. Days had great sets too. Even they've modified it, they still used the Horton house set. Even though the sets were kind of flimsy, Dark Shadows did a good job with their sets. The ABC shows, looked drab IMO.

by Anonymousreply 189December 25, 2020 12:47 AM

R186 AW maybe but DAYS and Santa Barbara looked like extremely expensive during the 80s and 90s

DAYS, in particular, had really amazing, almost cinematic, production values during it's 90s supernatural period/ratings resurgence and the show would always win a lot of technical Emmy awards during that period

Now DAYS has the production values and wardrobe of a high school play

by Anonymousreply 190December 25, 2020 6:36 AM

Supposedly the Martin family are totally excluded from this reboot. That seems harsh.

by Anonymousreply 191December 25, 2020 9:49 AM

Ho ho ho

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192December 25, 2020 10:14 AM

Thanks for posting that r192

by Anonymousreply 193December 25, 2020 12:03 PM

How about back in 2010 when ABC was in talks with Deidre Hall to come on AMC as a Tara Martin recast?

LaLucci hit the roof when she found out

by Anonymousreply 194December 25, 2020 5:57 PM

R190 Maybe it had to do with my local affiliate's broadcasting equipment. NBC soaps always looked washed out and flat, while CBS' looked the same as primetime and ABC's looked like technicolor movies.

by Anonymousreply 195December 25, 2020 7:54 PM

I SO want to see Phoebe Tyler's pussy eaten out by lezzy Francesca James

by Anonymousreply 196December 26, 2020 12:28 AM

That so never happened, r194.

by Anonymousreply 197December 26, 2020 3:21 AM

R197 it was reported by the soap press at that time (2010) that meetings had taken place with Hall and Brian Frons and ABC Daytime

There was a thread on here about it

by Anonymousreply 198December 26, 2020 2:38 PM

Someone teach Dumb Dylan the difference between their and there. He’s a fucking moron.

by Anonymousreply 199December 26, 2020 3:06 PM

Deidre Hall was off Days for almost three years in 2009 to 2011. So, she was certainly available.

The talks were reported in soap press. It was when ABC was moving AMC to Los Angeles and Susan Lucci was reluctant to relocate.

Don't know how serious the talks ever got. It may have just been a negotiating tactic to get Lucci to agree. But it worked.

She ended up flying in to shoot her scenes in a batch and then flying back to NY. Other stars like David Canary were not interested in relocating, so Adam Chandler was written out. They brought back Julia Barr so Adam could leave town with Brooke.

by Anonymousreply 200December 26, 2020 3:09 PM

All I know is if they want this to be a hit, someone's evil twin better trap the good twin in a well.

by Anonymousreply 201January 4, 2021 6:20 PM

Shut up Serial nutcase. Crazy asshole.

by Anonymousreply 202January 4, 2021 9:07 PM

wut is up their on twitter I luv amc lol but ive never scen it wut r the best stores?,

by Anonymousreply 203January 4, 2021 9:18 PM

Where is SPiicen!

by Anonymousreply 204January 21, 2021 1:14 AM

Serial Monticello has bigtime mental issues. His family disowned him. Always a mental case.He wants my life.

by Anonymousreply 205January 21, 2021 3:56 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206October 9, 2021 9:31 AM

Is that Queen Kroll from Soap Central a gay too? lolololololol

by Anonymousreply 207October 9, 2021 11:22 AM

night time, is the right time. . . . .for love!

by Anonymousreply 208October 9, 2021 11:25 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!