Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's the 176th anniversary of the publication of Charles Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol!'

More than a century later, it would spawn, films, TV shows, theatrical adaptations by humans and puppets, and countless local one-man show adaptations.

Which are your least and most favorite versions?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83December 22, 2020 11:45 PM

George C. Scott TV movie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 17, 2020 5:26 AM

Patrick Stewart as sexy Scrooge.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 17, 2020 5:28 AM

Albert Finney version

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3December 17, 2020 5:29 AM

I just watched the Hulu/FX version (2019) yesterday. It was almost laughable how bad it was. Scroges mainly happy childhood memories were replaced with him being raped as a child. Later on, he sexually assaults Mary Crachet. Who, by the way, is a black woman. It was almost like a MeToo era parody.

Best is the Muppets version.

by Anonymousreply 4December 17, 2020 5:30 AM

OMG, R4, sounds and looks awful!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5December 17, 2020 5:33 AM

1935 first film adaptation:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6December 17, 2020 5:35 AM

College production with the inevitable 20YO actor in bad 'old guy' makeup.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7December 17, 2020 5:37 AM

I prefer the 1951 A Christmas Carol and Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol.

by Anonymousreply 8December 17, 2020 5:38 AM

The 2019 FX version was really horrendously bad. I’ve got a soft spot for the Patrick Stewart version myself.

by Anonymousreply 9December 17, 2020 5:48 AM

Oops; THIS is the first film adaptation:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10December 17, 2020 5:49 AM

Bad Zoom Theatre:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 17, 2020 5:52 AM

This is why children need to go to school? Astoundingly bad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12December 17, 2020 5:53 AM

"The Muppet Christmas Carol"

Sir Patrick Stewart's version

by Anonymousreply 13December 17, 2020 5:53 AM

A Muppet Christmas Carol

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14December 17, 2020 5:54 AM

1960s animated version; truly awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 17, 2020 6:02 AM

Everything wrong with Disney's unintentionally creepy animated version:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 17, 2020 6:03 AM

Rich Little as EVERY character (with W.C Fields as Scrooge, Dick Nixon as a ghost, Paul Lynde and many more! Run away!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17December 17, 2020 6:06 AM

The Guthrie Theatre version; not awful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 17, 2020 6:07 AM

Worst and Best:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19December 17, 2020 6:08 AM

The only one I've ever had the misfortune to see was the Bill Murray one. I've successfully managed to avoid all others.

by Anonymousreply 20December 17, 2020 6:08 AM

The Albert Finney version. It's a fully-realized telling of the story, and the production design is gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 21December 17, 2020 6:19 AM

Scrooge McDuck!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 17, 2020 6:22 AM

a bit of Murray's 'Scrooged'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23December 17, 2020 6:23 AM

'A Muppet Christmas Carol, with Michaael Caine

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 17, 2020 6:24 AM

Hate me if you must, but I absolutely adore the musical version starring Kelsey Grammer. It’s a lovely Alan Menken score and it’s very imaginatively done. A wonderful cast, too - Jason Alexander, Jesse L. Martin, Jane Krakowski, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Geraldine Page, Linzi Hateley, etc.. I watch it every year.

by Anonymousreply 25December 17, 2020 6:29 AM

My favorite is the George C. Scott version, too. Though it's been a long time since I've seen it, and my memory is that it really drags in the middle. I love David Warner as Bob Cratchit, too. And "Nickelby"- era (ish) Roger Rees in a silly wig.

by Anonymousreply 26December 17, 2020 6:37 AM

R25, it looks like fun!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 17, 2020 6:40 AM

I've watched several movie versions this week and plan to watch all these others I haven't seen.

Because...covid I guess. I'm partial to version with the Sim actor.

by Anonymousreply 28December 17, 2020 6:40 AM

Alastair Sims for the win, for me.

by Anonymousreply 29December 17, 2020 10:33 AM

Alistair Sim and Mr Magoo - I watch them every year!

by Anonymousreply 30December 17, 2020 11:17 AM

I also listen to the unabridged audiobook version, beautifully read by Frank Muller.

The problem with most filmed versions, especially the more recent ones, is that they eliminate Dickens’ beautiful words in favor of dumbed down dialogue. I guess modern producers think the general audience of today is too stupid to understand or appreciate Dickens.

The 1960s Mr Magoo version is more faithful to the characters’ lines as written by Dickens than any of the versions made in the last 20 years or so, and that was a damn cartoon intended for little kids!

by Anonymousreply 31December 17, 2020 11:26 AM

I beg to differ, R15! At least for a kid, which I was in the 70's, this animated version captured something of the spirit of the tale quite well. Had just enough of the Dickens language to be not "truly awful," and blessedly avoided being a Disney/cutesy cartoon. (Never talk to me about what Disney did to The Little Mermaid--THAT's awful!). In this 1969 version, Marley definitely scared the shit out of me. Most importantly, this version sent me to the actual Dickens as a 12- or 13-year-old. I read the original, and loved it (and learned a whole lot of vocabulary most kids that age wold never have known!) specifically because this version made me want to read. I think that's pretty good, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 17, 2020 11:35 AM

I have a lot of questions about this book.

What was Tiny Tim's problem? Does anybody know? If he was alive today, would he have a GoFundMe? Would his mother be crutch-shaming other children?

Was that Goose free-range?

Why didn't the mobs set fire to Scrooge's counting house to protest inequality?

Didn't they burn coal to keep warm? Why wasn't Queen Victoria pushing green energy solutions?

by Anonymousreply 33December 17, 2020 11:44 AM

R33 Even back then, they knew “free range” was a scam.

by Anonymousreply 34December 17, 2020 1:25 PM

My favorite is the one I grew up with, featuring the voice of Michael Redgrave

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 17, 2020 1:37 PM

The 1951 version with the masterful Alistair Sim. Not one of the many wonderful supporting actors sets a foot wrong. I was born in 1951 (yes, ancient) and that film was on TV late at night beginning when I was about 10. Have never spent a Christmas holiday without watching it, except once about 10 years ago. Somehow it was shown at an obscure time and I didn't record it. So I bought a CD to avoid that happening again. When I first saw it as a child, it spurred me to read it. Started a love affair with Dickens, moved onto David Copperfield and never looked back.

Another favorite was Mr. Magoo. The conceit of him starring in the play was clever, he was able to leave his Magoo foolishness offstage when Scrooge.

by Anonymousreply 36December 17, 2020 1:39 PM

I actually really enjoy A Diva’s Christmas carol staring Vanessa Williams and Kathy Griffin. Its so campy and fun.

by Anonymousreply 37December 17, 2020 2:52 PM

R37, is it true that Kathy Griffin was able to play a decomposing corpse without any makeup?

by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2020 3:12 PM

R37 LMAO! But actually she played the ghost of Christmas past.

by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2020 7:31 PM

The Ghost of Christmas Present at R1 was a hot daddy bear.

by Anonymousreply 40December 17, 2020 7:40 PM

I watch a few versions of this story every year:

Mickey's Christmas Carol

The 1938 MGM version with Reginald Owen

A Muppet Christmas Carol

An American Christmas Carol, a 1979 made-for-television version starring Henry "The Fonz" Winkler

Last year, I discovered an interesting movie, "The Man Who Invented Christmas". It's a movie about how CD created the novel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 19, 2020 12:18 AM

One of the older film has Cratchit as some balding, queeny fat guy. That doesn't work.

by Anonymousreply 42December 19, 2020 12:37 AM

My favorite, hands down, is the 1951 film starring Alistair Sim. In the 1960s, the Million Dollar Movie, which ran on WOR TV 9 in New York, played this version twice a day in the week leading up to Christmas. Over the years I saw it so often that I could recite the lines from memory. Sim and every character was ideally cast. From Mrs. Cratchit to the undertaker to Old Joe they were all perfect for their roles.

The Muppet Christmas Carol is superb. The music is wonderful and the whole thing is just delightful.

Love the Mr Magoo version as well.

Honorable mention: the Patrick Stewart and the George C. Scott versions.

by Anonymousreply 43December 19, 2020 1:12 AM

R33 Tiny Tim had spinal tuberculosis.

And Scrooge McDuck was the best Scrooge.

by Anonymousreply 44December 19, 2020 1:22 AM

1984 George C. Scott version. The sets, costumes, cinematography all are gorgeous.

I mostly love the screenplay.

When Scrooge is jousting with the Ghost of Christmas Past as they are in his boyhood boarding school and he sees himself alone there and throws up to him he has "not a real friend". Scrooge replies by naming the Ali Baba, the Sultan's Groom, Yellow Tail, Robinson Crusoe and "he made do", it tugs at my heart.

I suppose because, when I was a kid, characters in books were my "friends", too.

I thought the McGoo "A Christmas Carol" was unavailable. Where is everybody seeing it?

by Anonymousreply 45December 19, 2020 1:39 AM

Bah humbug to them all except Mr Magoo's Christmas Carol, Bob Cratchit was voiced by Jack Cassidy which is pretty strange casting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46December 19, 2020 1:42 AM

Another fan of the Alastair Sim version -I watch it every year. I saw Patrick Stewart perform his one-man version, live, and it was amazing -but his film isn't as good. Another one I enjoy is the 1954 TV version with Frederic March and Basil Rathbone -But the real star is the beautiful song score by master film composer Bernard Herrmann.

And in true Datalounge fashion, Bonnie Franklin played one of the assorted Crachitt children!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 19, 2020 1:45 AM

I have 2:

The Albert Finney musical version - great music.

And the Alastair Sim version. This scene gets me every time. The little maid encouragingly nodding at him as we hear "Barbara Allen". Gets me every time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48December 19, 2020 1:55 AM

Another vote for the wonderful 1931 version. Sim is flawless as Scrooge and does not come across like a caricature like so many of the others. And the supporting cast is perfect.

by Anonymousreply 49December 19, 2020 1:57 AM

I can never make it through that scene without bawling, R48...

by Anonymousreply 50December 19, 2020 2:00 AM

I've never seen The Muppet Christmas Carol whole, why is not widely broadcast? I vaguely remember seeing a bit of it on TV in the 80s? Where can I watch it? On Youtube it's broken up in 35 episodes.

Same for Albert Finney's version. Why is that not shown on antenna tv every year? It's so much fun, especially the Thank You Very Much part. Luckily, the movie is on YT.

by Anonymousreply 51December 19, 2020 2:08 AM

I was listening to the old-time radio channel on SiriusXM today and they played a radio version from Screen Directors Playhouse -- must have been late '40s. Edmund Gwenn played Scrooge, and they compressed the story into an under-25 minute program. Really a shame, although Gwenn as Scrooge.

by Anonymousreply 52December 19, 2020 2:43 AM

r52 My mistake--it was Stars Over Hollywood, not Screen Directors Playhouse. (SDP did "Miracle on 34th St." today also.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 19, 2020 2:46 AM

[quote]What was Tiny Tim's problem?

Fibromyalgia

by Anonymousreply 54December 19, 2020 3:13 AM

Apparently, Tiny Tim could have been suffering from any one of a number of diseases. Here’s a compilation with arguments for and against.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55December 19, 2020 3:25 AM

[quote]What was Tiny Tim's problem?

He just wanted attention. They should have whipped his ass and sent him to the workhouse.

by Anonymousreply 56December 19, 2020 3:29 AM

Three of the best and certainly classic Christmas movies came out at roughly the same time. It's A Wonderful Life (1947), Miracle on 34th Street (1947) and Scrooge (1951). 'Miracle...' is the best Christmas movie for any child because it is the one where a child is the central character and a strong mover of the story (Natalie Wood). But Scrooge with Alastair Sim is not only the best Christmas Movie ever made but one of the best movies of all time.

by Anonymousreply 57December 19, 2020 3:36 AM

Alistair Sim film best.

Today I saw a version I had never heard of. 1931, starring Sir Seymour Hicks

Full film on youtube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58December 19, 2020 3:55 AM

[quote]I thought the McGoo "A Christmas Carol" was unavailable. Where is everybody seeing it?

It's currently streaming for free on Peacock.

Local Phoenix radio station KTAR for years did an annual live performance of A Christmas Carol; occasionally famous Phoenix natives would take part. Stevie Nicks played the Ghost of Christmas Past at least twice:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59December 19, 2020 4:01 AM

Lifetime's contribution -- "Ebbie", starring DL fave Susan Lucci.

Sue me, this one's a guilty pleasure.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60December 19, 2020 4:05 AM

I'm so thrilled by the responses in this thread. It's giving me the Christmas spirit!

Now here's a crappy gay ebook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61December 19, 2020 4:44 AM

I have the DVD of the Albert Finney 1970 version, Scrooge, which I watch every year around this time. Finney is truly remarkable and was incredibly only 33 years old when they made the movie. Also features Edith Evans, Kenneth More and the genius of Alec McGuinness.

Pure holiday heaven.

by Anonymousreply 62December 19, 2020 4:52 AM

"I've never seen The Muppet Christmas Carol whole, why is not widely broadcast? I vaguely remember seeing a bit of it on TV in the 80s? Where can I watch it?"

It wasn't made until 1992.

Try streaming services to view it. I'm sure it's available on Netflix/Amazon/Disney+.

They show only a handful of Christmas specials on broadcast television these days, unlike the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 63December 19, 2020 8:45 AM

I'm watching the Mr Magoo version on Peacock right now. Haven't seen it for years and forgot how good it is.

I like the Bill Murray version and watched it the other night.

I like the Albert Finney version, though haven't seen it in years. I'll have to find that one.

The 1951 Alistair Sim version is on FXM throughout the month.

I see the Muppet version on a pay per view. I'll have to buy that one.

by Anonymousreply 64December 19, 2020 8:54 PM

Michael Caine never for a second lets you realize he is acting with puppets.

And this song will fucking break your heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65December 19, 2020 9:04 PM

From another thread; fascinating!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 19, 2020 9:09 PM

Darling, I'm a commishiod officer in t3e Royal hagy

by Anonymousreply 67December 20, 2020 6:58 AM

After years about hearing about Magoo for DL I watched it last week and the Muppets last night (found them at the library).

They were both good. Belle's break-up song and the animation that went with it in Magoo was beautiful and all of the voice actors were good. I don't normally do this, but since it was short, I watched it once with the commentary. A lot of Rocky and Bullwinkle stuff. Someone also told a story of having Jack Cassady and Shirley Jones over for dinner and how sweet Shirley was and thanked her for getting Jack some work. Was he basically an insecure wreck from day 1 of their marriage?

I am kind of tempted to buy the Muppet version. Caine was a good Scrooge, and I liked how Gonzo narrated some of the actual language from the text. Also, the Tiny Tim death scene might have been one of the sadder ones I have seen.

The Albert Finney Scrooge is my sentimental favorite from the tradition of watching it with my mom every year, although I think it might gets more respect than it did 25 years ago.

I also include the Lucci version, Ebbie, as a guilty pleasure. While it is not the best one out there, it is not the worst.

The 60's animated version was where I first became familiar with the story. It played a lot in the seventies, and sadly, I think I thought - wow they made a movie of the cartoon - the first time I saw a non-aminated version. Marley's ghost scared me a bit as well.

by Anonymousreply 68December 20, 2020 12:21 PM

[quote]I am kind of tempted to buy the Muppet version. Caine was a good Scrooge, and I liked how Gonzo narrated some of the actual language from the text. Also, the Tiny Tim death scene might have been one of the sadder ones I have seen.

The Muppet version holds the distinction of having the cutest, sweetest Nephew Fred.

Scrooge: "I don't make merry at Christmas..."

Fred: "That is most certainly true."

Scrooge: "And I can't afford to make idle people merry"

Fred: "That is most certainly NOT true!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69December 20, 2020 7:37 PM

The 1971 animated version by Chuck Jones (but in reality, more Richard Williams) has the scariest Marley ever.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70December 20, 2020 7:43 PM

The 1971 one at R35 and R70 has that choppy, cheapo-looking animation, but it's remarkably atmospheric and faithful to the original, especially given it's under a half hour.

Mr. Magoo has great songs and metatheater, and has the distinction of being the very first tv Christmas special (predated Rudolph by a couple of years).

by Anonymousreply 71December 20, 2020 8:29 PM

Scrooged is the best version because Carol Kane is in it. I loves me some Carol Kane.

by Anonymousreply 72December 20, 2020 8:37 PM

I'm watching the 1970 Finney version. I forgot about the freaky scenes of him actually in Hell. Don't think any other versions get this literal.

by Anonymousreply 73December 20, 2020 9:43 PM

The whole thing is schlock, like all of Dickens' work. He was the Hallmark channel of his day. Why does anyone still read/watch that shit?

by Anonymousreply 74December 20, 2020 9:47 PM

Well, they make them because they don't have to pay royalties.

by Anonymousreply 75December 21, 2020 12:09 AM

Dickens, shlock? Not that. Sentimental, surely. He creates characters with a keen eye for their strengths and foibles, makes them memorable. The trials of his protagonists dramatic, but whether oversized as a struggle for life or futilely evading consequences of their own flaws, their humanity is compelling. Once one of his characters comes to life in your mind, you can revisit them without rereading. Micawber, Scrooge, Fagin, Uriah Heep! Granted his male characters much more fully fleshed out, Dickens was no feminist. However, he is an important writer and will continue to be read by more generations.

by Anonymousreply 76December 21, 2020 2:53 PM

Did you know that English actor Harry Lloyd (Viserys Targaryen, GoT) is Charles Dickens great-great-great grandson?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77December 21, 2020 3:40 PM

[quote]Once one of his characters comes to life in your mind, you can revisit them without rereading. Micawber, Scrooge, Fagin, Uriah Heep!

Just the names are wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 78December 21, 2020 4:27 PM

Former actor Brian Forster (Chris Partridge #2) is Dickens' great-great-great-grandson.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79December 22, 2020 7:11 PM

I just viewed the Old Vic’s live performance of a play adaptation this past weekend. Andrew Lincoln played Scrooge. He’s not as old as Scrooge is supposed to be but I still enjoyed it very much.

It reminded me though that ACC is really better read than watched.

by Anonymousreply 80December 22, 2020 7:22 PM

Most favorite version: none of them.

Lease favorite version: all of them.

by Anonymousreply 81December 22, 2020 7:24 PM

Not sure if its been said yet, but the Muppet Christmas Carol is on Disney+

by Anonymousreply 82December 22, 2020 11:26 PM

Fun fact: Andrew Lincoln shows two seconds of peen in the tv show “This Life”.

Jason Hughes plays the gay character but doesn’t show anything. When he leaves the show, Ramon Tikaram joins as a new character and shows ass.

by Anonymousreply 83December 22, 2020 11:45 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!