Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I got Married Today

I’m 58 and my partner just turned 60; we’ve been together for 11 years. We had both been in long-term relationships before meeting each other - him 30+ years and me 22 years.

From Day One we were incredibly compatible and of the same mind; we even attended the same college, overlapping for 2 years, although we never knew each other at the time. We’ve been through amazingly joyful as well as incredible tough times, but we’ve always been by the other’s side.

Up until recently, neither of us felt particularly strongly about marriage or the need to make our union “official”, but with the onset of COVID and increasing pushback against gays (think Amy Barrett appointment to the Supreme Court) we both felt the need for the legal protections marriage would provide. Turns out that once we made the decision to wed, our relationship became even stronger, more loving, and more committed than ever; it’s as if we both needed it at a very basic level, but didn’t realize that fact until we said the words, made the decision, and put the plan into place.

Anyway, we got married at home this morning at 10 AM in the backyard, each with his one best friend in attendance, and then enjoyed a great luncheon meal we had both prepared. I’ve never been happier nor as peaceful as I feel now and just wanted to share.

by Anonymousreply 116January 26, 2021 6:53 PM

Who gives a shit?

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2020 10:32 PM

OP congratulations

But tell me, how will your EXs react to your marriage - was it a nasty break-up with your former partner, and your husband's former partner?

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2020 10:33 PM

Congrats OP. I'll dedicate my drink to you guys.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2020 10:35 PM

Congratulations OP!

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2020 10:35 PM

Congratulations, OP! I married my lovely husband 2 years ago. In our case the timing in our case was dictated by his need for health insurance - if not for that, we might not have bothered making it official. But we're both glad we did.

FYI, in case you didn't already know: you two are now considered married retroactively to the first of this year, so if you file jointly you might get a nice extra tax refund.

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2020 10:36 PM

(1) Your jealousy is showing, not a very good trait. But I want to extend congratulations to the newly weds, and you prove that it's never too late.

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2020 10:36 PM

Congrats, OP!

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2020 10:37 PM

Congrats to you and your new spouse, OP!

All the best!

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2020 10:37 PM

Congrats, OP.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2020 10:38 PM

Congratulations. Also what are you doing typing here why aren't you making love on your wedding day?

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2020 10:38 PM

Mazel tov!

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2020 10:39 PM

I’m happy for you, OP! Wishing you and your husband many more years of happiness. 🍷

Oh, and R1, kindly fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2020 10:44 PM

Congratulations to OP for getting hitched!

And congratulations to r1 for the customary DL celebration!

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2020 10:45 PM

Congratulations and best wishes to OP and your new husband.

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2020 10:48 PM

What made your 22-year relationship end?

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2020 10:50 PM

Congratulations to you and your husband OP. Shame r1’s bitterness got the better of him.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2020 10:51 PM

For all who think they're an ElderGay at 35 and your love life is over, these guys prove love comes along when it should. Congratulations !!!!

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2020 10:52 PM

Wonderful OP, so happy for the both if you! Many blessings.

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2020 10:54 PM

I give a shit. Congratulations, OP. I wish you every happiness.

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2020 10:54 PM

That's nice.

I'm 58, too, so your story gives me hope.

Last night I had a Grindr chat with a guy who was me if I were 'gen'.

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2020 10:55 PM

Congratulations, OP and husband! May you have many long years of happiness!

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2020 10:57 PM

Is your pre-nup sorted, OP?

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2020 10:57 PM

R17 maths? They had previous long love stories and this one came along in their 40s. Your point?

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2020 10:58 PM

Congratulations. Blessings, joy and peace.

by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2020 10:59 PM

Only someone on this site would be rude enough to ask questions about people’s exs on their wedding day, haha. Congratulations, OP.

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2020 10:59 PM

Married at 10 am and on DL a few hours later?

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2020 10:59 PM

R1, you seem sad, lonely and jealous. I'm sorry.

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2020 11:00 PM

Mazel Tov!

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2020 11:01 PM

R26, he’s obviously posting as he eats lunch. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2020 11:01 PM

Congratulations, OP!

R1 is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2020 11:01 PM

R27 you seem new to DL.

by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2020 11:03 PM

Congratulations honey

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2020 11:04 PM

What r23 said. OP had a 22 year relationship and then relatively quickly found another.

This is not a lonely eldergay manages to finally find love story that some seem to be implying.

by Anonymousreply 33December 16, 2020 11:09 PM

OP here. I’ll save the 411 about my Ex for another day; my husband’s previous partner died (cancer) about a year before we met. We were both damaged and vulnerable at the time, but trusted each other and healed together.

The nicest part of the brief ceremony was at the very end. The officiant (an elderly gentleman) said, “I would like to recite a Native American wedding blessing.” Here it is:

"Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be companion to the other. Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you. May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years. May happiness be your companion and your days together be good and long upon the earth."

by Anonymousreply 34December 16, 2020 11:13 PM

Congratulations, OP!

Much happiness to you both.

by Anonymousreply 35December 16, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote]The nicest part of the brief ceremony was at the very end. The officiant (an elderly gentleman) said, “I would like to recite a Native American wedding blessing.”

He didn't warn you beforehand? Run it past you?

by Anonymousreply 36December 16, 2020 11:15 PM

Congratulations and best wishes, OP.

by Anonymousreply 37December 16, 2020 11:15 PM

Wonderful. Have a wonderful life together.❤️❤️

by Anonymousreply 38December 16, 2020 11:17 PM

Congratulations!

I'm 44 and your story gives me hope, which is in short supply these days.

by Anonymousreply 39December 16, 2020 11:22 PM

I was with my husband for 29 years before we were finally allowed to legally marry. By that point, being “legal” shouldn’t have felt any different, but it absolutely did. Suddenly, our relationship now equaled a hetero couple. I don’t hesitate to throw out the phrase “my husband” when before I had to go with “friend” or “partner”. And if someone doesn’t like it, fuck’em, we’re legal.

by Anonymousreply 40December 16, 2020 11:31 PM

Sure, Jan.

I would like to believe you OP, but if DL has taught me anything, it’s that these threads always turn out to be ESTs. Are you sure you didn’t leave out the part where you each fucked the officiant??

by Anonymousreply 41December 16, 2020 11:32 PM

Congratulations OP!

I hope you have many, many happy years together!

by Anonymousreply 42December 16, 2020 11:32 PM

Guessing he's the top?

by Anonymousreply 43December 16, 2020 11:36 PM

Congrats OP!! Wish you well! I met my hubby when we were both13 and both knew we were meant for each other but we're separated for many years and found each other again. As soon as we could we got married and it's incredible. Peace!

by Anonymousreply 44December 16, 2020 11:45 PM

For R41:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45December 16, 2020 11:50 PM

Only on DataLounge would two men getting married in their backyard qualify as an EST.

by Anonymousreply 46December 17, 2020 12:02 AM

Congratulations! I am lonely.. Have you ever considered a thruple?

by Anonymousreply 47December 17, 2020 12:15 AM

Did the Top propose to the Bottom? Will there be honeymoon sex tonight? Did Joel and Mitzi attend? So many questions for the DL peanut gallery.

by Anonymousreply 48December 17, 2020 12:18 AM

Congratulations from the United Kingdom

🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉🎊🎉

by Anonymousreply 49December 17, 2020 12:18 AM

Shelby, I hope you and Jackson will be as happy as Lloyd and I were.

by Anonymousreply 50December 17, 2020 1:19 AM

Congrats, OP. I recommend the Maldives for a honeymoon. My husband and I were looked after so well there. They are fine with gay couples on the hotel islands.

by Anonymousreply 51December 17, 2020 1:26 AM

Which college did you go to taught you not capitolizing "got" in you're subject is accepible? Preytell?

by Anonymousreply 52December 17, 2020 1:30 AM

Congratulations OP. I wish you and your husband a lifetime filled with happiness and good health.

Sláinte

by Anonymousreply 53December 17, 2020 1:38 AM

Where are you two heading off for your honeymoon?

by Anonymousreply 54December 17, 2020 1:39 AM

So it really does happen...

by Anonymousreply 55December 17, 2020 2:09 AM

Congrats, OP.

I didn't think it would feel any different but it does.

Mazel tov and all the best.

by Anonymousreply 56December 17, 2020 2:11 AM

Congrats, OP! I hope you enjoy married life, and I’m sure you will.

The people who are always asking when to give up hope should be heartened by this. Never say never!

by Anonymousreply 57December 17, 2020 2:12 AM

[quote] I got Married Today

No, you didn't.

by Anonymousreply 58December 17, 2020 2:14 AM

Who will play you and your husband in the inevitable Lifetime movie?

by Anonymousreply 59December 17, 2020 2:14 AM

Mazel Tov!

by Anonymousreply 60December 17, 2020 3:14 AM

Congrats! Going on 5 years here. It’s a wonderful feeling. All the best!

by Anonymousreply 61December 17, 2020 1:07 PM

Congrats! And with both of you so ancient, there's almost no chance of one of you screwing around. After all at that age you're just trying not to piss on yourselves and worrying about having a good shit everyday.

by Anonymousreply 62December 17, 2020 2:19 PM

Miss Nervous OP sang this right before the vows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63December 17, 2020 2:30 PM

Congratulations. I wish you both many and happy years together.

by Anonymousreply 64December 17, 2020 2:31 PM

Congratulations/Best Wishes! Celebrating love is a glorious thing.

by Anonymousreply 65December 17, 2020 2:32 PM

Best Wishes!

by Anonymousreply 66December 17, 2020 2:46 PM

But how many got "mary-ed" today?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67December 17, 2020 2:59 PM

R67 that would make a great parody thread

by Anonymousreply 68December 17, 2020 4:02 PM

Inspiring story but also a cautionary tale of two elder gays marrying and one of them is posting about it on the wedding night. Or is the happy couple Lesbians who married after accepting the inevitable lesbian bed death?

by Anonymousreply 69December 17, 2020 4:12 PM

Although R1 did crack me up, congratulations OP.

by Anonymousreply 70December 17, 2020 4:15 PM

r62 = someone whose eventual husband will drop him like a hot potato once he turns 50.

by Anonymousreply 71December 17, 2020 4:49 PM

Very happy for you, OP! Congratulations to you both.

Good news is hard to find at the moment. Was very glad to see your post. May you enjoy a long and joyful union.

by Anonymousreply 72December 17, 2020 4:53 PM

Why won't OP share his honeymoon destination?

by Anonymousreply 73December 18, 2020 12:32 AM

OP here. Thanks to all of you for the kind and sincere wishes! This being DL, I knew that there would be snark aplenty, but I just wasn’t sure what form it would take; thanks for not disappointing!

In response to some of your queries:

1. No Honeymoon planned (yet). We’re both homebodies and happiest together in the home we’ve built together with our two cats. If we do travel in the future, it will probably be France, Italy, or both.

2. I posted to DL just to share the news, as I had an overwhelming need to tell somebody about our great day, and why not my DL “friends”. My husband was with his best friend who came here from Cleveland so I took that time to write the post. I don’t know why people try to read anything dysfunctional into that.

3. Of all the responses, R40 is definitely my favorite. MidWestMan TOTALLY understands the experience, feelings, and emotions I was trying to convey. I honestly didn’t know if marriage would change me or my outlook in any way, and I had no preconceptions as to how it might; however, I can report that if you truly find the love of your life, marriage will only deepen your closeness and commitment.

by Anonymousreply 74December 18, 2020 1:10 AM

How about the sex? Do you still have some dirty, sloppy, passionate, hot sex, OP?

Just present dongs and holes please as I don't mind gawking at geriatric sex today.

by Anonymousreply 75December 18, 2020 1:34 AM

Nice story and great news! Congrats.

by Anonymousreply 76December 18, 2020 2:46 AM

Congratulations, OP! And some hope for others...

I'm 59, he's 63. We met two years ago on a beach in Mexico, both of us on vacation. We live on opposite coasts. We commuted back and forth many times, but only twice since the pandemic. There is daily Skype and texting. We are engaged.

I had been in a 26-year relationship that ended badly (wow, almost ten years ago - time flies). When marriage was temporarily legal in SF, I did not want to do it. Gut feeling. But it was history being made. Fortunately, the line at City Hall was miles long, so we just had brunch in our tuxes. As we gays do.

My fiance was legally married and ended up in bankruptcy and divorce court.

We have pre-nups for when we can finally live together and retire. Neither of us is trusting of marriage, but we want to do it.

I predict that I'll feel like OP.

May you enjoy your marriage until you both die in a grease fire (that's Dataloungese for "good luck")!

by Anonymousreply 77December 18, 2020 4:29 AM

R20 "who asked me if I was 'gen''

by Anonymousreply 78December 18, 2020 4:30 AM

Congratulations, OP! And some hope for others...

I'm 59, he's 63. We met two years ago on a beach in Mexico, both of us on vacation. We live on opposite coasts. We commuted back and forth many times, but only twice since the pandemic. There is daily Skype and texting. We are engaged.

I had been in a 26-year relationship that ended badly (wow, almost ten years ago - time flies). When marriage was temporarily legal in SF, I did not want to do it. Gut feeling. But it was history being made. Fortunately, the line at City Hall was miles long, so we just had brunch in our tuxes. As we gays do.

My fiance was legally married and ended up in bankruptcy and divorce court.

We have pre-nups for when we can finally live together and retire. Neither of us is trusting of marriage, but we want to do it.

I predict that I'll feel like OP.

May you enjoy your marriage until you both die in a grease fire (that's Dataloungese for "good luck")!

by Anonymousreply 79December 18, 2020 4:30 AM

[quote] I'm 59, he's 63. We met two years ago on a beach in Mexico, both of us on vacation. We live on opposite coasts. We commuted back and forth many times, but only twice since the pandemic. There is daily Skype and texting. We are engaged.... We have pre-nups for when we can finally live together and retire. Neither of us is trusting of marriage, but we want to do it.

IMO, I would live together in the same town / same house for a year. Then decide if I wanted to get married. Frankly, I don't understand the logic here.

by Anonymousreply 80December 18, 2020 5:11 AM

Congratulations! News like this is much needed these days. Thank you for sharing your story.

by Anonymousreply 81December 18, 2020 5:42 AM

Best Wishes OP, for love and peace and contentment. Be all you can be for one another. Revel in the joy of being with the man you know is right for you. Remember the little things he'd enjoy simply because you did them. Tea just the way he likes it, clean eyeglasses so he can do his crossword puzzle more easily, a kiss on the top of his head just because. There's always another hug to give.

The old standby served my husband of 43 years and I very well:

Rule #1 Always put him first.

Rule #2 See Rule #1.

by Anonymousreply 82December 18, 2020 8:20 AM

Did you post the pics on Instagram? because..

by Anonymousreply 83December 18, 2020 8:24 AM

r80 you must be young.

I've had cancer twice, he has multiple health issues. We are stuck with our jobs until retirement in just a few years, which go by fast at this age.

There is no question about our compatibility together under the same roof. From past relationships, we both know that there is not a Mr. Perfect, or a perfect relationship. You learn to appreciate what you have -- and time is the most important thing here.

Should neither of us expire in the next few years, our marriage would mostly be for medical insurance and legal reasons, but I do hope it feels as magical as it does for OP (once we are living together).

by Anonymousreply 84December 20, 2020 2:10 AM

maybe Muriel will buy you a present

by Anonymousreply 85December 20, 2020 2:35 AM

Congratulations OP, I have been with my partner now 27 years not married. Kind of like why bother at this point but you give an interesting perspective.

by Anonymousreply 86December 20, 2020 3:01 AM

[quote]IMO, I would live together in the same town / same house for a year. Then decide if I wanted to get married. Frankly, I don't understand the logic here.

With Data Lounge you can always count on the cautionary advice of the frail and wounded: "don't do it", "it will be the ruin of you both", "get a prenup!"

by Anonymousreply 87December 22, 2020 8:00 PM

Congratulations, OP.

by Anonymousreply 88December 22, 2020 8:06 PM

It's fine not to get married but make sure your partner is your legal next of kin because if he dies unexpectedly without a will, you won't get a penny. It will all go to his parents, siblings, nephews. Anyone but you.

by Anonymousreply 89December 22, 2020 9:29 PM

OP, I hope that you've sent an engagingly written announcement to the New York Times, including details of both your and your spouse's pedigrees going back at least four generations and details of your breathtaking educational backgrounds and professional accomplishments.

Otherwise, DL will be sorely disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 90December 22, 2020 9:41 PM

FYI, R89, that is NOT necessarily the case in many states. Over the years, many partners have been stripped of their rightful inheritances by greedy family members and prejudiced judicial officials even though a valid will has been in place.

by Anonymousreply 91December 23, 2020 3:45 AM

' Over the years, many partners have been stripped of their rightful inheritances by greedy family members and prejudiced judicial officials even though a valid will has been in place.'

Yep because a valid will can be overturned if in law he isn't your next of kin. So get married or change it legally. Much simpler to marry than go through the legal rigmarole of changing your next of kin.

by Anonymousreply 92December 24, 2020 9:07 AM

[quote]It's fine not to get married but make sure your partner is your legal next of kin because if he dies unexpectedly without a will, you won't get a penny. It will all go to his parents, siblings, nephews. Anyone but you.

We have a domestic partnership, way back when that was all you could get. I know it's not the same but I think in California it has expanded the right to almost the same as marriage, they changed and added stuff over the years. It's kind of a gray area in the law I think. A lawyer from the center told me all of that has not been tested on the courts yet.

by Anonymousreply 93December 24, 2020 9:23 AM

Did you save your flower for your husband, OP?

by Anonymousreply 94December 25, 2020 1:01 AM

You gals still together?

by Anonymousreply 95January 17, 2021 2:14 PM

OP, I hope you signed a good pre-nup before marrying.

by Anonymousreply 96January 17, 2021 2:50 PM

Congratulations OP!

by Anonymousreply 97January 17, 2021 2:52 PM

What a great way to start the day! Love and happiness to you both!

by Anonymousreply 98January 17, 2021 3:02 PM

I wish you and your husband all the happiness in the world!!!! God bless!!!

by Anonymousreply 99January 17, 2021 3:04 PM

You can name anyone to inherit your fortunes. This next of kin shit is BS. You would actually be better off having a trust. And you can stipulate so and so is intentionally left out of the trust or anyone contesting it does not receive anything. You have protections when you are married, but wills and trust add another layer of protections. I like trust over wills for many reasons, the privacy of them and the fact they are not held up in court. With some planning you can make sure your partner receives what you want them to receive and a relative cannot get their greedy little hands on anything.

by Anonymousreply 100January 17, 2021 3:07 PM

This is fake lol. Why would someone post this on here. “We all prepared a luncheon meal”? If this real then it’s ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 101January 17, 2021 3:26 PM

Married in the yard as they’re both ravaged with AIDS and pink sock

by Anonymousreply 102January 17, 2021 3:30 PM

OP & Husband here - one-month anniversary yesterday, and we are happier than ever! No prenup needed as we had been “living together in sin” for 11+ years prior to tying the knot.

As for you jealous, bitter, and incredulous Old Queens, just dry up and blow away! 😊

by Anonymousreply 103January 17, 2021 4:29 PM

R103 Posting together haha. This is my favorite troll and all these old queens fall for it.

by Anonymousreply 104January 17, 2021 4:47 PM

Are you divorced yet, OP?

by Anonymousreply 105January 23, 2021 4:36 AM

Im so happy youre happy, [OP]

by Anonymousreply 106January 23, 2021 5:00 AM

Congratulations!

by Anonymousreply 107January 23, 2021 5:02 AM

What a lovely story OP, congratulations to you both!

by Anonymousreply 108January 23, 2021 5:18 AM

Thanks for the extended good wishes, (almost) all!

One aspect that I think is pretty cool is that while many married folks have been getting separated or divorced because of COVID-19 quarantine/close quarters, these current conditions helped my (now) husband and me realize that we simply cannot and do not want to live without each other.

by Anonymousreply 109January 23, 2021 6:43 AM

Pardon me, was everybody there? Because if everybody was there I'd like to thank them all for coming to the wedding. I'd've appreciated them going even more, I mean, they must have had lots of better things to do, and not a word of it to Paul.

by Anonymousreply 110January 23, 2021 6:48 AM

1/10

by Anonymousreply 111January 23, 2021 6:56 AM

Did your husband carry you over the threshold, OP? I hope he didn't hurt his back.

Tell us about your wedding night sex.

by Anonymousreply 112January 23, 2021 7:09 AM

[quote]these current conditions helped my (now) husband and me realize...

Shouldn't we have an opposite to an "oh, dear" to highlight the correct usage of "I/me"? Suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 113January 26, 2021 12:45 PM

Lovely story. Congratulations yo you, OP and your spouse.

by Anonymousreply 114January 26, 2021 6:35 PM

Congrats OP. I'll have an extra vodka gimlet in you and your hubby's honor tonight.

by Anonymousreply 115January 26, 2021 6:37 PM

Congratulations OP!

by Anonymousreply 116January 26, 2021 6:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!