Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dix Pour Cent

Have any of you seen the French tv show Dix Pour Cent. (I think Netflix is trying to pass the title off as "Call My Agent"). It's a hoot. Something that DataLounge could have written. It takes place in a Paris talent agency. I love the male assistant. He's so quintessentially French.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203May 2, 2022 8:17 PM

LOVE this show. Staying up way too late watching because I can't stop. 4th and final season available on Netflix soon (Sigourney Weaver!) . I'm about to finish season 2. Love the assistant too , and omg Sofia....

by Anonymousreply 1January 21, 2021 8:18 PM

I actually have a crush on Mathias too. Awesome cast all around.

by Anonymousreply 2January 21, 2021 8:20 PM

Good show but better appreciated by people more familiar with French cinema. Some of the guest stars I knew and some I didn't without looking them up..

by Anonymousreply 3January 22, 2021 12:35 AM

It is so well cast.

by Anonymousreply 4January 22, 2021 6:05 PM

This show is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 5January 24, 2021 11:05 PM

You "think" they're trying to "pass it off" as Call My Agent, OP? The title's in the link you posted.

by Anonymousreply 6January 24, 2021 11:11 PM

I have a low grade crush on Gabriel.

by Anonymousreply 7January 24, 2021 11:14 PM

I watched the one with Sigourney. She looks fantastic,.

by Anonymousreply 8January 24, 2021 11:27 PM

I love Camille Cottin, who plays Andrea.

I also read that several Hollywood movie stars have expressed interest in participating in the series, which might trigger a 5th season.

by Anonymousreply 9January 24, 2021 11:54 PM

Actually, the UK version is supposedly in the works.

by Anonymousreply 10January 25, 2021 12:38 AM

[quote]You "think" they're trying to "pass it off" as Call My Agent, OP? The title's in the link you posted.

What I meant by that is that the French title "Dix Pour Cent" translates into 10 percent. The meaning of the title was completely changed for English speaking audiences. The French title refers to what the agents earn. The English title refers to what the actor says.

by Anonymousreply 11January 25, 2021 12:57 AM

Camille Cottin is just so beautiful

by Anonymousreply 12January 25, 2021 9:22 PM

I really am enjoying this show. It made me realize how much I multitask while watching TV and probably miss a lot but because of the subtitles and fast-paced dialogue I really have to pay attention. I like that I am not binge watching, so will have something fun to watch as lockdown drags on.

I also like the look of the French actors. It’s a nice change from everyone in the cast looking like Malibu Barbie and Ken.!

by Anonymousreply 13February 2, 2021 3:46 AM

Camille Cottin is an international star waiting to happen. And a lesbian icon waiting to happen, too, for that matter.

by Anonymousreply 14February 2, 2021 3:55 AM

Oui, j'adore it. My French friend told me about it when it first came on Netflix. The cast is superb.

by Anonymousreply 15February 2, 2021 3:58 AM

I just started the 2nd season. I remember being so impressed with the people playing the agency's clients, only to find out they're all French celebrities...like A-listers too...not has-beens.

My favorite character is Andrea. The actress who plays her is so gorgeous...I'm mesmerized by her face. On a related note, sometimes I think Herve is handsome, sometimes he looks like a troll. I looked him up and his pictures are the same (in some he's handsome, in others he looks like a troll). Great comedic actor though.

PS: I started watching it after Emily in Paris, so it was initially amusing there was a Gabriel and Camille. But I cracked up when Mathias' wife appeared and it was the woman who played Sylvie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 2, 2021 4:02 AM

[quote] I love the male assistant. He's so quintessentially French.

You mean stinky, uncut, and tight with money?

by Anonymousreply 17February 2, 2021 4:26 AM

This came highly recommended by someone.

by Anonymousreply 18February 2, 2021 4:53 AM

Lost interest after the first season. Cottin has an interesting face, works steadily in both TV/cinema, but is not much of an actress, always appearing in similar roles.

by Anonymousreply 19February 2, 2021 5:07 AM

It's not on my country's Netflix, so at first I was stuck with a library DVD with dubbed German or French, no subtitles. It was a challenge I accepted, but I didn't understand any of the finer details. I used a VPN to watch the rest on a French channel with French subtitles.

It's a good show, but has a lot of dopey elements--I was glad they more or less dropped the long-lost child drama after the first season, and the relationship stuff is pretty dull, too. I'm there for the actor/agent stuff. Camille Cottin is good, but with her nose she couldn't have a Hollywood career, could she?

by Anonymousreply 20February 2, 2021 5:37 AM

R20, her Hollywood career has just kicked off. She’s currently filming Stillwater with Matt Damon. Let’s see if she takes off. The only recent French actress to pull it off in Hollywood I can think of would be Marion Cotillard.

by Anonymousreply 21February 2, 2021 11:24 AM

Fun fact: the gravel-voiced old lady with bad extensions (who seems to do nothing at the agency) was the girlfriend of pretty-boy jazzman Chet Baker in the mid-50s.

by Anonymousreply 22February 2, 2021 1:03 PM

It's fantastic. Watching the final episode of the supposedly final season tonight. I'll be sad when it's done.

by Anonymousreply 23February 2, 2021 1:07 PM

I loved it too. I could relate to a lot of it having to deal with actors. The last season is the best. A lot of subtle but hilarious quips/scenes.

by Anonymousreply 24February 2, 2021 3:48 PM

Just started S4. Question for the ladies: would Neomi be considered chubby? Aesthetically speaking, I think she has a perfect woman body. They know how to dress her to show it off but her nude scenes! And that ass! Do you think the director just wanted to show it off? She is the only one with nude scenes I think.

by Anonymousreply 25February 6, 2021 11:30 PM

Hi, R25! I asked myself the exact same question.

I don't watch Dix Pour Cent, but the actress who plays Noémie (Laure Calamy) was the lead in a comedy that might have been the only French hit of 2020: Antoinette dans les Cévennes. Loosely based on Robert Louis Stevenson's Travels With a Donkey in the Cévennes. Anyway... Watching that movie, I commented to myself that Laure Calamy has an 8-shaped body (this is how it's called in France, maybe elsewhere too), like Marilyn Monroe and Scarlett Johansson. Basically, the most feminine body a woman could have - all curves. So, very attractive! Something about it screams sex sex sex

She exudes femininity (whatever that means) and sexuality, that's for sure. Very good actress. Goes for broke. Only saw her in that one film, so can't say much more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26February 6, 2021 11:50 PM

R26, Noemie (Laure Calamy) gets her kit off in an episode in Series 4, and her bodaciously curvy body is a feast for the eyes. She goes starkers outside, on a bridge, for laffs.

by Anonymousreply 27February 6, 2021 11:55 PM

Sigourney Weaver speaks French! (Pretty badly, but a brave effort). The concept of the episode is: she wants to be paired with Gaspard Ulliel, half her age, and not a French guy her own age. It's pretty funny, and she plays a tightfisted diva.

by Anonymousreply 28February 7, 2021 12:01 AM

Yes, I adore this series, as I'm very slowly learning French, and am parsing it out so it doesn't end for me. I'm only on S3 (and it's been 2 years). Check out, "Lupin"- modern take on the French Gentleman Thief:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29February 7, 2021 12:02 AM

Lupin is doing really well on Netflix. Of course Omar Sy is a star in France, and the fresh take on the classic series is a welcome change.

by Anonymousreply 30February 7, 2021 12:05 AM

Love this show, have watched all the seasons already and will watch it again.

by Anonymousreply 31February 7, 2021 12:10 AM

Cottin reminds me a little bit of Steffi Graf. Also, the actress who plays Sophia is gorgeous.

A great show.

by Anonymousreply 32February 7, 2021 12:50 AM

Terrible wardrobe on the show. What’s with all the vests Mathias and Hicham wear? Are vests fashionable in Paris? Camille looks like she shops out of donation bins for old man sweaters.

by Anonymousreply 33February 7, 2021 1:20 AM

The actress who plays Camille reminds me of someone but I can’t place who. She has an interesting face.

by Anonymousreply 34February 7, 2021 2:35 AM

LOVE LOVE LOVE this series!

Totally obsessed with the entire cast. Not yet mentioned above is the adorable boy who plays Hippolyte. I'm only in the middle of Season 2 so perhaps he won't be around for much more. And yes, the sweet girl who plays Camille, she looks so familiar.......maybe a British actress?

And Sophia! And Andrea!! Eh, I love them all. The women in this cast could turn me straight.

by Anonymousreply 35February 7, 2021 3:47 AM

I love this show. But I thought the story arc with Sigourney was stupid. The only funny part was when Sigourney offered Camille (the character, not Camille Cottin) a macaron, and just as Camille was about to take it Sigourney distractedly pulled it away.

My favorite episode is probably the one with Line Renaud and Francoise Fabian.

by Anonymousreply 36February 7, 2021 4:30 AM

The show's first three seasons were good. But this last season felt like they ran out of ideas. And the Sigourney Weaver episode was horrendous -- they ran out of dialog and just had her mug her way through a surreal plot and an insane dancing scene. Weird.

But the early seasons really are worth watching.

by Anonymousreply 37February 7, 2021 4:33 AM

[R28] I found Sigourney Weaver’s French rather good. She’s been known to give interviews to french media entirely in French. Bear in mind she’s not fully bilingual like Jodie Foster. Her delivery is a bit slow and cautious, which is normal for someone who probably doesn’t practice often. You get a sense they might have shot the scenes a few times before getting it right. But that’s a great effort and I’m sure she would improve her french quickly if she spent a bit of time in France.

by Anonymousreply 38February 7, 2021 11:32 AM

Any gay content?

by Anonymousreply 39February 7, 2021 11:37 AM

Loved the first 3 seasons but the last was very erratic. And I agree, the Sigourney episode was one of the weakest.

by Anonymousreply 40February 7, 2021 11:46 AM

Love the show! But it petered out in the last season. Sigourney doing the Lindy Hop? Scare bleu.

Noemie is my favorite character. Laure Calamy is an amazingly intense and compelling actress. She just goes for broke no matter what she’s doing. I also love Camille Cottin as much as the rest of posters on this thread. She is really beautiful and smart and a great actress.

I’m not sure I believe Sophia would fall for Gabriel. And Camille (the character) is a bit of a hole at the center of the series.

by Anonymousreply 41February 7, 2021 12:04 PM

They direct everyone to speak 33% faster than my comprehension. The French subtitles are no help because I read them 50% slower. I went to grad school in Paris and I don't recall everyone speaking French at this clip. A few people but not everyone.

by Anonymousreply 42February 7, 2021 12:16 PM

r22, she also plays the Matriarch in another French comedy, "Family Business"= about a butcher's family who turns to growing weed and gets embroiled in the drug world:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 7, 2021 12:22 PM

The most recent series has a different air to it as the showrunner left. It's like a different programme completely.

by Anonymousreply 44February 7, 2021 12:25 PM

Camille (Fanny Sidney) looks a lot like Ludivine Sagnier, I think.

by Anonymousreply 45February 7, 2021 12:32 PM

Stefi Celma (Sofia) is one of the most goregous women in the world. I'm trying to figure out why the show portrays her character as such a loser. Is it because she's just unambitous, self-doubting, and makes bad career and personal choices, or it is she a victim of systemic racism and misogyny in French showbiz?

Yes, it's ridiculous that she's in any kind of relationship with that asshole Gabriel.

by Anonymousreply 46February 7, 2021 12:40 PM

Are the actors who play some of the young film directors and youtube stars actually that in real life? Sorry not to mention them by name, I'm only in the 2nd season and haven't gotten all of them down yet.

I love the series but it must be even funnier and smarter if you know all the actors portraying and parodying themselves.

The idea that there may be a UK version of the series is phenomenal news. Just thinking of the British actors they can get to guest star is mouth-watering. I hope that the younger agents will be portrayed by new and unknown actors.

by Anonymousreply 47February 7, 2021 1:41 PM

A British version would be disastrous. It's already been done on Extras.

by Anonymousreply 48February 7, 2021 2:14 PM

Sigourney’s accent is awful.

by Anonymousreply 49February 7, 2021 2:51 PM

Sigourney’s French is HORRIBLE. And she moves like a grandma, which is an odd contrast with the surgically enhanced visage.

by Anonymousreply 50February 7, 2021 6:54 PM

I think American actors would be too insecure to play themselves on an American version of the show. It could be funny though.

by Anonymousreply 51February 7, 2021 7:07 PM

Ugh, an American version of the show would star the likes of Ted Danson, David Hyde Pierce, Courtney Cox and Loretta Swit as the old lady agent with her dog. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 52February 7, 2021 7:14 PM

I'm with R51: I think that European actors tend to be more self effacing and cynical about the whole industry and their place in it.

Regarding Sofia, I think the appeal of her character that she's so stunning yet so full of doubts and questioning herself all the time, not feeling she's owed any success at all. Gabriel's self esteem is pretty low and I'm guessing that's why he appeals to her. Remember, that's the guy who lies on the sofa in his apartment or in his office and eats whipped cream straight out of the can.

by Anonymousreply 53February 7, 2021 7:14 PM

[quote]Remember, that's the guy who lies on the sofa in his apartment or in his office and eats whipped cream straight out of the can.

When I saw that, I thought it was only an American thing.

by Anonymousreply 54February 7, 2021 7:57 PM

[quote]I think that European actors tend to be more self effacing and cynical about the whole industry and their place in it.

[quote]Ugh, an American version of the show would star the likes of Ted Danson, David Hyde Pierce, Courtney Cox and Loretta Swit as the old lady agent with her dog. No thanks.

I agree. I hope America doesn't touch this show.

Additionally, there's a sense of theatricality about the show which makes it fun. There are no American actors that can do what the actors who play Herve and Noemie do. There was one scene where Noemie is crying and it was hilarious in how theatrical it was. And Herve's depressive brooding cannot be replicated on US tv.

US writers will kill that theatricality immediately and attempt to attach a message to it and it will either become satire, cartoonish or social justice oriented. America, leave this brilliant show alone.

by Anonymousreply 55February 7, 2021 8:08 PM

Also Gabriel was the only guy who believed in Sofia's talent in the beginning when he saw her sing.

by Anonymousreply 56February 7, 2021 8:51 PM

These colleagues are impertinent and condescending with each other and it's part of French rhetoric and communication. This would NEVER fly in an English series nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 57February 7, 2021 10:13 PM

r47, Norman Thavaud (the Youtuber at Hicham's son's birthday party) is a real Youtuber. Julien Dore (the guy who gives Sofia her big break in his film L'Ocean Jouit) is a real singer-songwriter and actor who won the French equivalent of American Idol (but I don't know if he has actually directed anything). Sofia sings one of his songs on the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 7, 2021 11:09 PM

I discovered this great song in the last season of Dix Pour Cent, from the scene where Andrea is in the nightclub with that viper Elise Forman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 7, 2021 11:13 PM

On what planet is the hooked nose female lead beautiful?

by Anonymousreply 60February 8, 2021 10:23 AM

10%? I thought an agent's take is much greater than 10%.

by Anonymousreply 61February 8, 2021 10:25 AM

[quote]Any gay content?

The gayest thing in this show is the producer, Dominique Besnehard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62February 8, 2021 11:44 AM

Flaming effeminate assistant. But the French love broad unwoke comedy.

by Anonymousreply 63February 8, 2021 12:03 PM

R60, her eyes are captivating and her skin is flawless. I think her nose only adds to her beauty.

I just finished the episode that introduces Hicham. He's handsome, but I'm hoping the character doesn't stick around for long.

by Anonymousreply 64February 8, 2021 12:10 PM

I watched CALL MY AGENT it's no less mediocre than anything else on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 65February 8, 2021 12:18 PM

[quote]her eyes are captivating and her skin is flawless. I think her nose only adds to her beauty.

Rather than beautiful, I would call her striking. Some people just have that presence about them where you have to look at them. Other than Noemie, I wouldn't consider any of these people beautiful, but all of them compel you to look at them.

by Anonymousreply 66February 8, 2021 12:18 PM

R63- That STOCK FAGGOT character on GIRLS was any less stereotypical?

by Anonymousreply 67February 8, 2021 12:19 PM

R66, she reminds me of Carolyn Bessette Kennedy...not traditionally beautiful, but definitely someone who would stand out in a crowd.

by Anonymousreply 68February 8, 2021 12:24 PM

R60 is why this show wouldn’t work with an American cast.

by Anonymousreply 69February 8, 2021 12:28 PM

Camille Cottin and Sandrine Kiberlain both have that same nose, and they are superstars in France. There's no one Identikit "look" for female stars, as there is in LA.

(The Kiberlain episode is especially good).

by Anonymousreply 70February 8, 2021 12:29 PM

[quote]Camille Cottin is an international star waiting to happen.

She's in Killing Eve. I think that your prediction is already happening.

by Anonymousreply 71February 8, 2021 12:30 PM

Lookswise, I think Camille Cottin falls into the same category as Meryl Streep. Not a classic beauty, but not hard on the eyes.

by Anonymousreply 72February 8, 2021 12:34 PM

Besides Camille Cottin are any of the other principals big stars in France? Mathias? Gabriel? Herve? Hicham?

by Anonymousreply 73February 8, 2021 2:29 PM

The two male leads playing Mathias and Gabriel are in no way conventionally handsome but I fell more in love with each of them with every episode. Can't quite explain it. Herve, the gay assistant is hilarious: if you find his character too broad, I think that's in the writing and direction, he's actually pretty restrained.

Anyway, for the gays there's plenty of young male hotness in the supporting characters who come and go throughout the seasons. Hippolyte is my favorite....talk about a star waiting to happen.

by Anonymousreply 74February 8, 2021 3:48 PM

Mathias was hot when he was younger, but like most French men (and British women), he's aged horribly.

I find it interesting how Philippine Leroy-Beaulieu (Mathias' wife) has been famous in France for decades, yet she's now known to most Americans as Sylvie on Emily in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 75February 8, 2021 4:57 PM

I totally enjoyed this series. So much fun. Do people who enjoyed this have any recommendations for other French movies or French TV shows? Nothing before 1990, please.

by Anonymousreply 76February 8, 2021 5:05 PM

Most of the French TV shows I could highly recommend are in the crime noir genre. Not sure if that would be your cup of tea if the question was inspired by "Dix Pour Cent."

by Anonymousreply 77February 8, 2021 7:52 PM

Paris Police 1900

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 8, 2021 8:00 PM

I'm not usually fond of Police Shows, but Spiral (Engrenage) is pretty great. They are on their 8th season.

by Anonymousreply 79February 8, 2021 8:28 PM

Is the older actress who plays Arlette actually the former lover of Chet Baker as was dramatized in the series? Did I read that upthread or somewhere on DL? For that matter is she the former lover of Guy Marchand, also dramatized in the same episode? This show is apparently so wonderfully Pirandellian, I'm losing track of fact vs fiction.

by Anonymousreply 80February 8, 2021 9:58 PM

Spiral

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81February 8, 2021 10:02 PM

A French Village

[quote]This acclaimed drama is about the German occupation of France during World War II, and its effects on the inhabitants of a small village in Jura. In June 1940, the village of Villeneuve awakes to the arrival of the German army - and the next four years of occupation have a shattering effect on the lives of all its inhabitants.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82February 8, 2021 10:05 PM

Ugh, I found A French Village too sad and scary to watch after the first episode, especially in these days of insurrection.

by Anonymousreply 83February 8, 2021 10:10 PM

An alternative for r83 and others faint of heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84February 9, 2021 8:11 AM

Who is the sexy actor in the thumbnail?

by Anonymousreply 85February 9, 2021 8:12 AM

If you are referring to A French Village r85, that is Thierry Godard.

He and Audrey Fleurot are both in that and Spiral.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 9, 2021 9:16 AM

No, I meant the sexy man doing the push up in OP’s post.

by Anonymousreply 87February 9, 2021 9:32 AM

Call My Agent is wonderful, but I have otherwise been mostly quite disappointed in the caliber of French TV and movies lately. But I am open to suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 88February 9, 2021 9:53 AM

I loved the orangutan cameo in Call My Agent,

by Anonymousreply 89February 9, 2021 9:57 AM

R89 Audrey Fleurot?

by Anonymousreply 90February 9, 2021 10:03 AM

R80 Yes in her real life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91February 9, 2021 12:12 PM

[R23] She offers excellent advice based on years of experience. She was able to determine Norman was engaging in self-sabotage. Wisdom is a rare commodity, especially in managing "talent".

by Anonymousreply 92February 9, 2021 1:01 PM

I just started watching it yesterday and have already blown through four episodes. Totally addicted..

by Anonymousreply 93February 9, 2021 1:16 PM

^ Joeystarr

by Anonymousreply 94February 9, 2021 1:46 PM

oops

R87, it's Joeystarr

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 9, 2021 1:48 PM

Thank you, R95.

by Anonymousreply 96February 9, 2021 2:07 PM

I don't like police procedurals, but "Engrenage" is excellent. If you like horror, "La Revolution" and "Marianne" are fun. H "Osmosis" had the premise of an AI who found your soulmate (featuring a gay couple), but it is very ponderous. Try the light comedy"Au Service de la France" (A Very Secret Service)- a 60's spy pastiche with the handsome Hugo Becker (who has a cameo as a producer on Dix Pour Cent):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97February 10, 2021 8:26 AM

What a fantastic series, start to finish. I thought the last season was strong- I loved the dynamic between Andrea and evil Elise in the last few episodes. All the posters are correct though- the biggest draws are Andréa and Noémie, two wonderfully drawn female leads. I was sad to finish the show. I felt really invested.

by Anonymousreply 98February 10, 2021 10:35 AM

As this thread highlights, I initially thought the show was going to be about Camille, but she's basically a non-entity after the first few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 99February 10, 2021 10:44 AM

A few other good, limited-run French crime shows: "La Mante" (with the always delightful Carole Bouquet), "The Chalet", and "Witnesses" (one season has Audrey Fleurot in it.) "The Forest" ("La Foret") was good but I got exasperated by the sheer stupidity of the main protagonist, who made one wrong decision after another. The one that's more like "Dark" or "Stranger Things", i.e. a crime show with a supernatural element, is "Black Spot" ("Zone Blanche"), which has two seasons but, apparently, the ratings for S2 in France were relatively poor compared to S1, so Netflix may end up cancelling it. I love "Engrenages", too.

by Anonymousreply 100February 10, 2021 1:00 PM

I shouldn't have been surprised but what I'm learning from the series is how large and varied the French film industry is. All who work in it really don't have to venture away from their country to make a great living. But I guess it still surprises me that the better actors rarely become international stars and I don't mean that to sound critical of them.

by Anonymousreply 101February 10, 2021 2:03 PM

More love for Noemi! I love how expressive her face is and how she widens her eyes at the slightest hint of drama. My favorite scene (POTENTIAL SPOILERS) is when she is out on sick leave after being hit by a car, and Mathias tries to send her a text message that says "Votre chaise est bien vide" (your chair is very empty). But due to auto-correct, his message ends up saying "Votre chatte est bien vide" (your pussy is very empty). He makes several attempts at sending the message before he gets the correct wording through. Then later, when Mathias takes notice of her return to the office, Noemi replies "Oui Mathias. Ma chaise n'est plus vide, comme vous voyez" (Yes Mathias, my chair is no longer empty, as you can see). Quelle coquette!

Then that scene where Noemi serves her guests the leg of lamb that she had previously thrown away in the wastebasket killed me!

by Anonymousreply 102February 10, 2021 3:05 PM

R101, while that's true about the French film/TV industry, the very first episode and the one with Fabrice Luchini highlight what a huge deal it is for them to be considered for a Hollywood movie--a ticket to another level of wealth, fame, prestige (even if it's a Tarantino movie or a Bond villain).

by Anonymousreply 103February 10, 2021 4:06 PM

I finished it last night. Satisfied with the ending but sad there are no more episodes to look forward to. I haven’t enjoyed a show this much in a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 104February 11, 2021 2:03 PM

I just started this show due to this thread. Love it, despite the fact that I know nothing about French cinema. I'm enjoying looking up all the actors who do cameos.

by Anonymousreply 105February 11, 2021 2:05 PM

Just started Season 3 last night. Jean Dujardin in Episode 1, rather disappointing. I've thoroughly enjoyed this series but I feel like it's flailing a bit right now.....hope it gets better before it's done. I'll certainly keep watching.

by Anonymousreply 106February 11, 2021 2:26 PM

The reason so many french movie stars are not really famous abroad is mainly due to language. Simple as that. French cinema has easily produced as many strong actors and actresses as the UK’s. But because those films are shot in french they don’t have as wide an international distribution as British films. For a French movie star to become internationally famous they need excellent English that will allow them to be picked by Hollywood (Marion Cotillard for instance), whereas any UK tart can make it (Keira Knightley anyone?). Otherwise your exposure will be very limited. Unless you’re truly fabulous and then you still make it, despite limited English like Huppert, Deneuve, Bardot, etc.

by Anonymousreply 107February 12, 2021 4:34 AM

^ An excellent example of this is Jean Dujardin who won the Oscar for best actor for The Artist. A silent role. Whether deserved or not, this should have led him to at least a few roles in Hollywood movies. But it didn’t. Probably because his English is not good enough (as you can gather from his acceptance speech).

by Anonymousreply 108February 12, 2021 4:43 AM

One thing about French people is that they can speak fluent English, but they rarely lose their thick accents. Germans, Spaniards, Italians and Scandanavians have more success in the US because they can speak better English.

by Anonymousreply 109February 12, 2021 10:34 AM

Just read on another DL thread that Francois Civil (Hippolyte) is playing D'Artagnan in the new French film of Three Musketeers.

Yummm!

by Anonymousreply 110February 12, 2021 7:32 PM

When I was an arty teen in the 80s, one could see French movies in most cities in the USA and in suburbs on the coasts, too! It was routine to see several French movies a year.

by Anonymousreply 111February 12, 2021 7:37 PM

Just watched the episode where Andrea gives birth. BRILLIANT!

by Anonymousreply 112February 17, 2021 1:54 AM

Just finished it all. I loved it! Noemie and Herve were my favorites. It was fun learning about French actors I don’t know...especially cute daddy Jose Garcia.

by Anonymousreply 113February 17, 2021 1:58 AM

Ugh, I went through 3 minutes of that and never laughed once. Hatchet-faced women... and I have to read also?

How do you say "pass" in French?

by Anonymousreply 114February 17, 2021 2:08 AM

Oooh! I haven't gotten to Jose Garcia yet. Does he appear in season 3? 4?

by Anonymousreply 115February 17, 2021 2:51 AM

[quote] and I have to read also?

[quote] How do you say "pass" in French?

Didn't you have to learn that for your GED?

by Anonymousreply 116February 17, 2021 12:23 PM

Herve was perfection.

by Anonymousreply 117February 17, 2021 4:49 PM

As a lesbian, I think Camille Cottin has a perfect body. I don't even mind her nose.

That said, IMHO, the actress who plays Noemie is fuck ugly. Her overbite is disturbing. She has a fat ass, fat thighs, fat belly, and disproportionately small breasts.

And the worst part is her nose. She has the same nose as Gerard Depardieu except smaller. I can't believe none of you have commented on that or her overbite.

I spent the last couple of seasons wondering what Matthias saw in her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118February 21, 2021 2:42 PM

I just started season 3 and feel as though there's been a little drop in quality. As though the narrative is becoming a bit unsteady as the writers try to figure out these characters. Just a little bit of a step, and I'm still enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 119February 21, 2021 2:47 PM

The funny thing is watch the show... the glorious, stylish French all have the most horrible noses.

by Anonymousreply 120February 21, 2021 3:47 PM

r118, it was clear that she lost weight for S4, and I thought her body looked great when she dropped the silver dress and ran naked to Mathias.

by Anonymousreply 121February 21, 2021 4:40 PM

I adore Laure Calumy (Noemie). She's outrageously funny and sexy, even with all of her "flaws." It's refreshing to see so many character types playing the leads in this series....none are traditional beauties but I find them all so engaging. I'd fear to see how an American version would be cast.

And Gabriel....did he lose a little weight or get better hairstyling in S3 (which I'm on now)? He looks very sexy, even as his role seems to have diminished.

by Anonymousreply 122February 21, 2021 5:02 PM

The episode with Binoche is sublime as she is pursued by an important film exec who wants to fuck her. Such a great and honest telling of this common situation.

by Anonymousreply 123February 21, 2021 5:12 PM

The French have BDF. Even the women.

by Anonymousreply 124February 21, 2021 5:20 PM

Weird how the French were once the leaders in avant grade movies -- they ruled the cinema in the 40s,50s, and 60s. But since then the industry had cratered and they seldom produce anything of note, and the few french movies that make it out of France are gimmicky, like Amelie or The Artist.

In TV, they've had a few successes but nothing of note except 10 Percent and a few others.

Then again, the French have given nothing in the last few decades to art, literature, or music either. It's like the country just gave up some years ago and now spends all its time worrying that no on speaks French anymore.

by Anonymousreply 125February 21, 2021 5:23 PM

R118 I sort of agree. I kept questioning how Matthias, with the first wife so elegant, lithe, graceful, and sensual, would go for the frumpy Calumy. When she did her full nude scene with the landing strip pubes her "lush and womanly" body should have been sexy. But it was taught like a blow up doll. She's not unappealing as a broad goofy skit comedian in a TV-like environment, but there you are....

R125 I disagree. I think some of the most interesting movies in the last decade or so have been French. Not the gimmicky crossover flicks... but real French films.

by Anonymousreply 126February 21, 2021 5:31 PM

^^ ha... taut, not taught.... nothing to teach there.

by Anonymousreply 127February 21, 2021 5:31 PM

Gabriel is someone who's a decent haircut and two months at the gym away from being really hot. There's a lot of potential there.

by Anonymousreply 128February 21, 2021 5:53 PM

R118, I was also surprised to see people gushing about Noemie's supposed beauty. And, especially in the first seasons, she was the stereotypical office busybody, with a crush on the boss and outdated style. That Mathias would like her is not surprising, though--she idolizes him and is hotter than his stick thin, aging wife.

I did like it when she started to assert herself in the later seasons, especially at the dinner party where she started referencing Brecht, if I remember correctly.

by Anonymousreply 129February 21, 2021 7:21 PM

Noemie was the most interesting character by the end of the show and her body is incredibly sexy.

by Anonymousreply 130February 22, 2021 1:04 PM

Those of you who think Noemie is sexy please identify yourselves as 1) gay male, 2) lesbian, 3) female bisexual, 4) male bisexual, 5) straight woman, or 6) straight man.

Inquiring minds want to know.

by Anonymousreply 131February 22, 2021 1:17 PM

R131, gay male. I think her body is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 132February 22, 2021 2:00 PM

Been loving this show. Has anyone seen the episode with Sigourney Weaver yet? It sounds delicious.

by Anonymousreply 133February 22, 2021 2:47 PM

I love Liliane Rovères character Sophia Leprince when she opened her desk draw and offered the nervous client a bag of pot to calm him down then his choice of uppers or downers for his driving test was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 134February 22, 2021 3:26 PM

Doesn't Liliane play Arlette?

by Anonymousreply 135February 22, 2021 10:03 PM

I love this show.

Camille Cottin is very beautiful. You'd think the nose would be a detriment but it isn't at all as her face has so many good angles.

by Anonymousreply 136February 22, 2021 10:11 PM

[quote]Doesn't Liliane play Arlette?

yes, Sophia Leprince is played by Stéfi Celma

by Anonymousreply 137February 22, 2021 10:16 PM

I've been thinking about watching it. I will give it a try!

by Anonymousreply 138February 22, 2021 10:20 PM

Watch at least the first 2 episodes, r138. The subtitles go by very quickly because the pacing is fast and there are a lot of characters to meet and relationships to comprehend. But well-worth it!.

by Anonymousreply 139February 22, 2021 10:29 PM

On second viewing, I think they should have made Colette a psycho.

by Anonymousreply 140February 23, 2021 12:55 AM

Colette, r140?

by Anonymousreply 141February 23, 2021 1:46 AM

Andrea’s gf, r141. Isn’t Colette her name?

by Anonymousreply 142February 23, 2021 2:07 AM

Andrea's gf was a kind psycho - seemed unstable etc.

by Anonymousreply 143February 23, 2021 2:14 AM

Can we see your favorite male assistant's dix?

by Anonymousreply 144February 23, 2021 2:18 AM

R136, I love a big nose, but her big nose could get her cast as the Wicked Witch of the East with no prosthetics required. She's filmed at angles to disguise it, and probably helped with makeup/lighting. Yet sometimes in the first season a true view would slip through and I was in awe.

by Anonymousreply 145February 23, 2021 4:52 AM

Camille Cottin as Andréa was hilarious giving birth to her baby on the floor of the office.

by Anonymousreply 146February 23, 2021 11:20 AM

[quote]Camille Cottin as Andréa was hilarious giving birth to her baby on the floor of the office.

There's a hilarious bit either in that episode or the next one where Herve steps over the spot where she gave birth. He won't walk across the office floor without stepping over that spot.

by Anonymousreply 147February 23, 2021 11:36 AM

I thought it was funny when Andrea tried to win Colette over by pretending she was interested in rock climbing after secretly googling Colette and stumbling upon her rock climbing page. Only to have Colette coldly brush her off by telling her there was a rock climber with the same name as her but she personally suffers from vertigo.

by Anonymousreply 148February 23, 2021 1:57 PM

Halfway through season 3 and still really enjoying it. Feeling a little trepidation because I've heard the quality falls off sharply in season 4.

I think both Andréa and Noémie are gorgeous, in very different ways.

by Anonymousreply 149February 23, 2021 2:20 PM

Yes R149, season 4 is a severe disappointment -- the show runs out of steam. And the Sigourney Weaver episode is simply embarrassing, with an excruciating, random dance number in the middle of it.

But the first three seasons are charming -- the trifecta of good writing, acting, and direction.

by Anonymousreply 150February 23, 2021 2:49 PM

Sadly, I feel they lost their way half way through S3, and that finale episode with the "other Isabelle Huppert" really, how do you say it in French? Jumped the shark.

Just watched that last night. But I will continue until the very end because I love the characters and the actors who play them so much.

by Anonymousreply 151February 23, 2021 7:13 PM

Watching the Atletico Madrid v Chelsea game.... Giroud scores, and there's a face close-up.... that Gallic nose.... this pic doesn't do it justice, but damn the French often have these enormous honkers and still look reasonable attractive. Camille Cottin's mammoth beak looks normal in Paris.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152February 23, 2021 8:58 PM

Just finished season 3 and seriously considering stopping there, because it's the perfect ending to the series. I don't want the fourth season to ruin that for me.

by Anonymousreply 153February 24, 2021 12:57 PM

^ Bitch please, you know you're going to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 154February 24, 2021 2:50 PM

Ha! Probably, R154. Won't be able to help myself.

by Anonymousreply 155February 24, 2021 3:38 PM

I finished season 3 and will watch 4. Thinking about what others have said about season 4 I wonder if they changed writers or directors for the last season.

by Anonymousreply 156February 24, 2021 4:15 PM

One of the co-creators left.

by Anonymousreply 157February 24, 2021 4:17 PM

The writers didn't seem able to develop interesting second story lines for each of the main characters, especially Gabriel, Camille, Matthias and Sophia. And you know, once a baby is introduced into a character's life (Andrea), that's the end of any fun.

by Anonymousreply 158February 24, 2021 5:42 PM

Season 4 is hilarious. Don't worry about it.

by Anonymousreply 159February 24, 2021 8:04 PM

Camille Cotton beautiful?!!

She’s certainly attractive, as everyone can be one way or another (talent always adds to the allure). But I wouldn’t consider her a classic beauty.

She does remind me of a certain prehistoric neighbor...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160February 26, 2021 2:31 AM

Cottin's nose contributes to her piercing, deep-set eyes. If she ever got a nose job, her face would fade into nothingness like Jennifer Grey's.

by Anonymousreply 161February 26, 2021 3:17 AM

Nose. Size. Beauty. Changes over the millennia and through various cultures...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 26, 2021 2:44 PM

She caught Covid at Cannes last year and has yet to recover her sense of smell/taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163February 26, 2021 5:38 PM

Great article r163.

by Anonymousreply 164February 26, 2021 5:51 PM

One of the most enjoyable qualities of this series is its guest stars’ willingness to portray themselves as flawed, weird, or downright despicable. Reminded me of Cher’s turn as herself in that Conjoined Twin Movie with Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear.,

Then enter Sigourney Weaver.

Leave it to the insecure, aging, unemployed Hollywood actress to exercise a self-serving, vain, and banal attempt at self-promotion and career resuscitation with a thinly-disguised older leading lady plot centered on female empowerment and double standards. Plus, her entire characterization of an energetic, agile, active septuagenarian goes down the drain when it becomes pathetically obvious that they had to use a stunt double for the more challenging Lindy Hop moves. I was willing to overlook the fact that she can’t dance but the thickly-laid theme’s ulterior purpose was not only embarrassing but grossly pathetic.

Once again, the ugly American ruins an otherwise lovely, if somewhat predictable Parisian experience.

by Anonymousreply 165February 28, 2021 10:17 AM

I was unaware that Ms. Weaver wrote that episode r165.

by Anonymousreply 166February 28, 2021 10:53 AM

Please. She agreed with stipulations and I’m sure controlled her image throughout.

by Anonymousreply 167February 28, 2021 11:42 AM

SPOILER:

Loved the bittersweet MTM-style ending

by Anonymousreply 168February 28, 2021 11:42 AM

R166 Even of weaver had nothing to do with the writing, she agreed to do what only comes across a self- promoting, congratulatory vanity script. The Self-effacing part was sorely missing. Do I ring it hard to believe that the writers, who always wrote deprecating roles for all the other stars, decided to treat La Sigourney with kids gloves out of fear Orr respect alone. She had a hand in that decision I’m sure.

by Anonymousreply 169February 28, 2021 11:47 AM

I can only imagine how hard they must have tried to get Brigitte Bardot, Alain Delon and Catherine Deneuve to appear as guests on the show. Can you just picture that?

by Anonymousreply 170February 28, 2021 12:21 PM

I'm so looking forward to the British reboot which, supposedly, will have all new plot lines. I imagine one where they're trying to convince Derek Jacobi and Anne Reid to do another season of Last Tango in Halifax. But the stars are reluctant because they really can't stand each other.

by Anonymousreply 171February 28, 2021 12:24 PM

R166 you are familiar with the concept of a vanity project, aren’t you?

by Anonymousreply 172February 28, 2021 12:25 PM

r169, Sigourney was interviewed on the French TV show C A Vous, and she said that she was so thrilled to be asked on Dix Pour Cent that she accepted immediately without reading a script. A bit like life imitating art, since there was an episode of Dix Pour Cent with Charlotte Gainsbourg, where her character accepted a part without reading the egregiously bad script.

by Anonymousreply 173February 28, 2021 3:54 PM

Here is the interview where Sigourney talks about accepting the role (starts at 3:05).

Interviewer:  Vous avez accepte d'etre la premiere actrice americaine a figurer au casting de la serie Dix Pour Cent, vous connaissiez la serie et vous avez accepte en quatre heures d'y participer.  C'est vrai ca, c'est pas juste une legende urbaine?

Sigourney:  [Awkward pause].  I missed the question.

Interviewer:  Ah.  Vous avez accepte tres rapidement de participer?

Sigourney:  Yes.  Oui.  Well, pour la premiere fois dans ma vie, j'ai dit oui, sans meme lire le scenario.  J'ai dit oui, peut-etre c'est 4 heures, mais pour moi, c'etait vraiment immediatement, and it was a sublime experience, I just had so much fun.

[bold]TRANSLATION:

Interviewer:  You agreed to be the first American actress to take part in the show Dix Pour Cent, you were familiar with the series and you agreed to participate in 4 hours.  Is that true, or is it just an urban legend?

Sigourney:  I missed the question.

Interviewer:  Oh.  You agreed to participate very quickly?

Sigourney:  Yes.  Well, for the first time in my life, I said yes without even reading the script.  I said yes, perhaps it was 4 hours, but for me it was really immediately, and it was a sublime experience, I just had so much fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174February 28, 2021 5:55 PM

Bullshit

by Anonymousreply 175March 1, 2021 9:22 AM

Yeah I call bullshit. Nothing changes the fact that the episode came across as a vanity vehicle.

by Anonymousreply 176March 1, 2021 9:25 AM

I must admit that as much as I've loved the show, I'm struggling with the final season. Episode 2 was really pathetic.

Well, to be really honest, each succeeding season has been more disappointing than the last one. Will it pick up by the series finale?

by Anonymousreply 177March 3, 2021 12:29 PM

R22, is Chet Baker the one who was discovered (after he passed) to really be a butch lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 178March 3, 2021 1:20 PM

The series finale is bittersweet r177 and I cried a few times. If you’re expecting a barrel of laughs, pass.

by Anonymousreply 179March 3, 2021 5:03 PM

Season 4 takes a darker turn than the other seasons but I found it to be as entertaining it would have been better without SW.

by Anonymousreply 180March 3, 2021 6:35 PM

French productions always give me the impression that they have no budget for hair and makeup. Or that French people in general just go around looking unkempt.

by Anonymousreply 181March 3, 2021 6:44 PM

R178 No, he's the one who died at age 58 when he got locked out of his hotel room and tried to climb into his balcony from the adjacent balcony while under the influence of heroin and cocaine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 3, 2021 7:23 PM

Interesting article on Liliane Rovère:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183March 4, 2021 7:11 PM

I enjoyed the finale. Bittersweet but everyone ended up in a good place for them.

by Anonymousreply 184March 4, 2021 7:18 PM

R128, weighing in from Los Angeles.

by Anonymousreply 185March 4, 2021 7:31 PM

[Quote]Been loving this show. Has anyone seen the episode with Sigourney Weaver yet? It sounds delicious.

R133 Hi Sigourney.

by Anonymousreply 186March 4, 2021 9:03 PM

I am struggling getting through Season 4. That episode with Sandrine Whateverhernameis wanting to be a stand-up comic? PAINFUL! And Herve as a brilliant actor? And Camille as a superagent?? And Mathias with the pack of wolves? I've come to find Noemie unbearable.

2 more epiosdes to go. I'll have to go back and watch a couple from Season 1 to remind myself why I once so adored this series.

by Anonymousreply 187March 11, 2021 1:35 PM

Laure Calamy (Noemi) just won a Cesar at the Cannes Film Festival!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 13, 2021 6:06 AM

Final season was pretty weak. Time wasted.

by Anonymousreply 189March 13, 2021 6:23 AM

I have to agree that Season 4 was not as good. The Sigourney Weaver episode being the worst. And the ending was just too unnatural, it's like the writers just said, "Let's not think about a natural ending for this." The old lady probably wanted to retire and put her feet up, but now she has to be an agent for young, untried talent.

by Anonymousreply 190March 18, 2021 6:23 PM

I can't get myself to watch the final 2 episodes. Sounds like I'm not missing much.

by Anonymousreply 191March 18, 2021 7:48 PM

R191 personally I thought the last episode was lovely.

by Anonymousreply 192March 29, 2021 10:15 AM

Season 5 AND a movie??!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193April 14, 2021 9:24 PM

Glad to see R193. The fourth season wasn't the strongest but the concept and the cast are terrific.

by Anonymousreply 194April 14, 2021 9:34 PM

I tried watching it after the recommendations here but it is too sweet for me and lacks an edge.

by Anonymousreply 195April 14, 2021 9:48 PM

I'm so happy the show is returning with a movie and season 5. I love the characters and their zany situations. Something to look forward to at the end of the year/2022.

by Anonymousreply 196May 9, 2021 12:22 PM

If Sigourney Weaver did an episode perhaps they could build an episode around me, as a beloved, much-awarded chanteuse about to receive the Legion de L'Honneur from Macron himself, only he falls in love with both my voice and my body and comedic chaos ensues! I could be called Salome de Ville, in an homage to my greatest triumph! I smell international Emmy! Perhaps Oscar, if this is the plot of film... and surely, it is big enough to be the film! Dix Pour Cent, starring Glenn Close. I know I can fit it in between my starring role in Downtown Abbey 3 and The Waltons reboot!

by Anonymousreply 197May 9, 2021 12:58 PM

Who are the directors? It must have more than one.

by Anonymousreply 198May 16, 2021 3:27 PM

Sorry if this is off topic, but I just finished the first season of the UK version and absolutely loved it (I didn't find a thread discussing it). Jack Davenport's Jonathan is such a total wanker. Great guest stars playing, at times, caricature versions of themselves (like Dominic West). Overall a great cast (hate the meddling Misha though who's the secret daughter of Jonathan fucking up her dad's life).

However, I have to admit that I didn't see the original French version yet, and I guess most of the guest stars I won't recognize at all.

by Anonymousreply 199May 1, 2022 7:02 PM

I didn’t even know there was a UK version. Thanks, R199. I hope it’s available in the US.

by Anonymousreply 200May 2, 2022 7:29 PM

[quote]Laure Calamy (Noemi) just won a Cesar at the Cannes Film Festival!

Well, not exactly - she won a César at the César Awards, the French Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 201May 2, 2022 7:46 PM

R200, it's on Prime in Canada so expect the same in the US? It's very similar yet quite different once it gets rolling. Different emphasis on different characters, some lifted storylines far sooner than in the French thin... I enjoyed it, then I liked it, then I loved it... There is this marvellous assessment in The Atlantic that says, without being sappy, there's a kindness to it that captures the spirit of the French version as well. It is a terrific show in both languages. It is also racially diverse without making it a thing. It's just actors acting stories. That is the perfect way to increase visibility.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 2, 2022 7:50 PM

Fabulous series! Brilliantly written and acted.

by Anonymousreply 203May 2, 2022 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!