Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Holy Fucking Shit! "Night Court" is coming back!

More reboots! More, more!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2021 3:10 AM

Huh.

by Anonymousreply 1December 16, 2020 3:53 PM

Many reboots don't work because there's nothing new to say using the same exact characters.

This intrigues me because it would be more like what Frasier was to Cheers - taking a few familiar characters and opening a different direction of story, but in the same universe. Maybe more technically a spinoff, but with elements of some of the same characters.

by Anonymousreply 2December 16, 2020 3:55 PM

Trivia for the "COVID is just the flu" folks: Anderson's cause of death was a stroke in his sleep brought on by a bout of the flu.

by Anonymousreply 3December 16, 2020 3:55 PM

The original was such a product of the 80s that I don't know that this will even qualify as a reboot. It reminds me of the One Day at a Time reboot, which was basically just a new family sitcom using an old show's title.

It also seems like some shows that were only on a season or two, like Picket Fences or even Sledge Hammer (which was terrible but I loved it) would be much better for reboots than something that was on several seasons.

by Anonymousreply 4December 16, 2020 3:57 PM

Let's do "Night Court" without the lead!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5December 16, 2020 3:58 PM

What's old is new again ... and again!

by Anonymousreply 6December 16, 2020 4:04 PM

Seeing as though they're bringing back Fantasy Island.....

by Anonymousreply 7December 16, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote]What's old is new again ... and again!

Then I should be a fucking fetus.

by Anonymousreply 8December 16, 2020 4:07 PM

Marsha Warfield needs a gig so she can stop complaining on FB about everyone and everything.

by Anonymousreply 9December 16, 2020 4:07 PM

Why are there no trans women of color in Night Court?! It's 2021@! Literal violence!!@

by Anonymousreply 10December 16, 2020 4:08 PM

I like Marsha Warfield a lot, but Roz wasn't the most interesting character. She is kind of a handful on FB, she reminds me of every theater teacher I ever had in high school and college, once they hit their 60s they went straight to Facebook to complain full time.

by Anonymousreply 11December 16, 2020 4:09 PM

Is this show even beloved enough? They don’t seem to air reruns anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 12December 16, 2020 4:24 PM

It has not aged well. I think it's on Prime or Hulu.

by Anonymousreply 13December 16, 2020 4:31 PM

They should bring back Markie Post as Abby Stone's mother.

by Anonymousreply 14December 16, 2020 4:49 PM

I just started watching it and love it. It’s a feel good comedy that is a nice break from current day real world.

by Anonymousreply 15December 16, 2020 4:58 PM

So they won't have all of the cast back. But AT LEAST get Markie Post, & Marsha Warfield on the show.

by Anonymousreply 16December 16, 2020 5:14 PM

R16 has stated his boundaries!

by Anonymousreply 17December 16, 2020 5:38 PM

John Larroquette is coming back? How many 75 year old (or however old he is) prosecutors are there in the court system?

by Anonymousreply 18December 16, 2020 5:47 PM

I simply will not rest until they've rebooted "I Married Joan" and "My Mother the Car."

by Anonymousreply 19December 16, 2020 5:49 PM

What about the bailiff Bull?

by Anonymousreply 20December 16, 2020 5:50 PM

Wow. Dan's shenanigans wouldn't go over too well in the me-too era. He groped women, said horrible things about them, and he openly sexually harassed his co-worker, Christine.

An attorney once told me that Night Court was the most realistic portrayal of the court system he'd ever seen on TV, much more realistic than all those courtroom drama shows. The courtroom is an interesting setting for a comedy; it was fun to see the extras that paraded through the courtroom.

My reboot idea: Dan got married, had several daughters, and had to change his ways. Now he's been promoted to judge, where he deals with assholes similar to his old persona. Maybe Christine is now a judge too, and they regularly meet with each other to compare notes about cases and get advice from each other. Hopefully Bull, the sentimental heart of the show will be back, and Roz, too.

by Anonymousreply 21December 16, 2020 5:52 PM

One of those shows I watched as a child but in my adult life I can't watch two minutes of, like most 80s sitcoms.

I know I'm an anomaly on DL, where 40 year-old tv shows are still watched and discussed today as if they weren't complete shit.

by Anonymousreply 22December 16, 2020 6:03 PM

r21 it's not just him, but there was also the endless parade of tranny hookers they brought in for the "Fifty dollars and time served!" favorite of Judge Harold T. Stone. This will be literal violence, because trans womxn of 2020 must never be portrayed as anything but beautiful womxn of color saving babies from burning buildings whilst renovating children's orphanages, often at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 23December 16, 2020 6:12 PM

r22 "it hasn't aged well".

by Anonymousreply 24December 16, 2020 6:13 PM

The suit and tie fetishist in me jacked himself raw to Fielding. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 25December 16, 2020 6:20 PM

Meh...I didn't even think the original was worth watching at the time. Even though I love big guys, Richard Moll didn't do anything for me, either. Now if they can find a really handsome, hunky tall guy this time, then maybe I'll watch.

by Anonymousreply 26December 16, 2020 6:25 PM

Okay I thought beating off to Jonathan Silverman on Gimme A Break was shameful, but knowing that r25 actually beat off to John Larroquette makes me feel better.

by Anonymousreply 27December 16, 2020 6:25 PM

I was visiting Lost Angeles years ago and attended a taping of one of the episodes of night Court. It was interesting to see the process. The bailiff played by Selma Diamond kept blowing her line and eventually they decided to go on and pick up the line afterward.

by Anonymousreply 28December 16, 2020 7:18 PM

R14 Markie Post is an underrated actress.

She was fantastic as the busy working Mom on the short-lived but entertaining ODD MAN OUT, with Jessica Capshaw, Erik von Detten, Trevor Fehrman, Natalie Cigliuti, and Vicki Davis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29December 16, 2020 8:12 PM

R18 more than you think these days

by Anonymousreply 30December 16, 2020 10:26 PM

[quote] The suit and tie fetishist in me jacked himself raw to Fielding

George Jefferson had better suits so why not him. Unless you are a racist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31December 16, 2020 11:31 PM

Oh please, r31.

by Anonymousreply 32December 16, 2020 11:47 PM

Fuck yes, bring back Markie Post! Would love to see her have a big comeback. She is an underrated actress.

by Anonymousreply 33December 17, 2020 12:24 AM

The actress who played the female lead before Markie Post pretty much disappeared except for a couple of episodes of Star Trek TNG or Voyager as a Klingon.

by Anonymousreply 34December 17, 2020 1:38 AM

Wasn't Markie a big ole dyke?

by Anonymousreply 35December 17, 2020 2:07 AM

She sure did look like one.

by Anonymousreply 36December 17, 2020 2:13 AM

R35, no, everyone had that mullet haircut back then.

by Anonymousreply 37December 17, 2020 2:14 AM

I hope they don't do something gross like having Dan hit on the new babe in court only to discover she's Harry's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 38December 17, 2020 3:57 AM

R38 that will be the first scene

and completely in character for Dan

by Anonymousreply 39December 17, 2020 12:41 PM

When I was in 3rd grade I had a music teacher who was a devout Christian. He told the class to stay away from filthy shows like Night Court and watch something wholesome like The Cosby Show. LOL!

by Anonymousreply 40December 17, 2020 3:49 PM

If Dan is back he'll probably be the judge.

by Anonymousreply 41December 17, 2020 10:09 PM

Markie Post had a recurring role on Chicago P.D. as a trashy, slutty addict whose daughter is a detective with Sgt. Voigt's Intelligence squad. The character was quite awful and Post was pretty good at it.

by Anonymousreply 42December 18, 2020 2:59 AM

Markie Post is now 70 years old and has been married to the same guy for 38 years. That said she is probably a) still younger than, b) has been in a relationship longer than, and c) probably gets more dick than, the average Datalounger.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 18, 2020 3:10 AM

OP, you still have not established the difference between holy fucking shit and secular fucking shit.

By default, this isn't even the worst reboot of a show that began in 1984, and neither is Ms. Brewster or those two women who lived together and insisted they weren't lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2021 6:19 PM

[R26] I worked with Moll. Trust me, you’re not missing much. He is a Grade-A asshole.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2021 6:46 PM

R34 The public defender before Markie Post’s Christine was Ellen Foley. Not sure about much of her career but she was the original Witch from Into the Woods. She played the role in the pre-Broadway try out. When it went to Broadway it was reworked and recast and the Bernadette Peters opened the show. Ellen did return as a Broadway replacement for Bernadette later in the original run.

Here she is with the late Marin Mazzie as Rapunzel on Broadway, and at the end is a clip of Boom Crunch (which later became The Last Midnight) from the San Diego try out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2021 7:04 PM

There's something a bit depressing about rebooting a comedy whose star has since died.

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2021 7:13 PM

Markie Post's snatch

by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2021 7:14 PM

I had no idea Harry Anderson died.

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2021 7:36 PM

What about Marsha Warfield?

WHET to her anyway? She dropped off the face of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2021 7:39 PM

Marsha finally officially came out

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 22, 2021 8:09 PM

Marsha posting about how her handheld shower nozzle makes her lady parts tingle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52February 22, 2021 8:25 PM

JOHN LAROQUETTE = GAYLING CRUSH

by Anonymousreply 53February 22, 2021 8:42 PM

I hope Rauch isn't playing Harry's daughter.

by Anonymousreply 54February 22, 2021 9:20 PM

More info R45. I'm intrigued!

by Anonymousreply 55February 22, 2021 10:00 PM

The show might have a chance if they bring back Teri Hatcher

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2021 3:10 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!