Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

With his star dimmed, California's Newsom could face recall

LOS ANGELES (AP) — California Gov. Gavin Newsom has had a rough year. The next one might be even tougher as a recall effort appears to be gaining momentum, fueled partly by outrage over the first-term Democrat dining with friends at an opulent restaurant while telling state residents to spurn social gatherings and stay home.

It's not uncommon in California for residents to seek recalls but they rarely get on the ballot — and even fewer succeed. Several launched against Newsom faded but another attempt is drawing greater attention as his fortunes change while he enters a critical stretch in his governorship.

Newsom received high praise for his aggressive approach to the coronavirus last spring, when he issued the nation's first statewide stay-at-home order. Now there is growing public angst over subsequent health orders that have shuttered schools and businesses and a massive unemployment benefits fraud scandal, while a public shaming continues for his ill-advised dinner at the French Laundry in Napa Valley, an establishment that features a white truffle and caviar dinner for $1,200 per person.

Photos of the dinner — a birthday party for a Newsom confidante who also is a lobbyist — emerged showing the governor without a mask at a time when he was imploring people not to socialize with friends and wear a face covering when going out and around others.

Recall organizers say they have collected more than half the nearly 1.5 million petition signatures needed to place the recall on the ballot, and they have until mid-March to hit the required threshold.

Randy Economy, a senior adviser to the recall effort, said there was a surge of several hundred thousand petition signatures after Newsom’s restaurant debacle last month. “It has resonated. It’s about the arrogance of power,” he said.

Newsom appears to be getting on campaign footing. He has hired veteran Capitol insider Jim DeBoo as a senior adviser, which could help him repair frayed relationships with legislators and bring sharper political instincts to his office. Newsom also just named Dee Dee Myers, a former Warner Bros. executive and White House press secretary for President Bill Clinton, as director of the Governor’s Office of Business and Economic Development.

The prospect of a recall election is reviving memories of California’s circus-like 2003 recall, in which voters installed Arnold Schwarzenegger as governor after deposing the unpopular Democrat Gray Davis. There were 135 candidates on the ballot, including Hustler publisher Larry Flynt and former child actor Gary Coleman.

If the recall qualifies, Newsom would be forced to fend off rivals in the midst of a pandemic that has cost the state millions of jobs, cored government budgets and upended life for nearly 40 million residents.

The campaign could sap his focus just as the state manages the complex project of vaccinating millions of residents while rebuilding its virus-wounded economy. California continues to deal with other risks, from deadly wildfires to a homelessness crisis in big cities.

“He’s got a plate of Biblical plagues staring him in the face,” said Garry South, who was Davis’ chief political adviser.

Still, South sees Newsom in a far stronger position to survive a challenge compared to the political climate 17 years ago when Davis was pushed out. A Republican hasn’t won a statewide race in California in 14 years, and there is no Hollywood superstar emerging as a potential candidate.

“A recall (election) is never good, obviously,” South said. But “the Republicans are in a far weaker position” than in 2003.

For the telegenic, 53-year-old Newsom, a recall election could unsettle a political ascendancy that many see aimed for the White House. A closer-than-expected race could hurt the former San Francisco mayor's national profile as well as make him look vulnerable for 2022, when he is expected to seek a second term.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312March 19, 2021 1:22 AM

Newsom’s challenging year already has encouraged Republicans who have signaled they are likely candidates, including former San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer and Newsom’s 2018 rival, businessman John Cox.

Recall organizer Orrin Heatlie, a retired county sheriff’s sergeant, predicted they would gather the needed signatures, though added an infusion of cash would help.

State records show just under 300,000 signatures have been filed, though Economy said another 500,000 are in the pipeline with county election officials.

The group began gathering signatures in June and have about three months to hit the required 1,495,709 signatures. They will need a surplus since some signatures are sure to be disqualified.

The 2003 recall took off after Republican U.S. Rep. Darrell Issa, a car-alarm magnate, poured $1.7 million of his fortune into the campaign to get the proposal on the ballot.

Organizers this year estimate they would need $2.8 million to hire professionals to gather another 800,000 signatures, at a price of $3.50 each.

State records show Cox donated $50,000 to the recall campaign in October, but at this point he has no plans to invest more.

“I’m not going to be Darrell Issa,” he said. “If there were a whole bunch of other people that stepped up and helped, I’d probably help some more.”

If he faces a recall, Newsom would have advantages. He would have no donation limits on his fundraising, opening the way for a record flood of cash to defend his seat. Democrats have a nearly 2-to-1 advantage in registered voters.

The potential election could also increase the chances he picks longtime friend and Secretary of State Alex Padilla to fill the U.S. Senate seat that will be vacated by Vice President-elect Kamala Harris. Facing uncertainty, Newsom needs a loyalist in Washington who will embrace his priorities, including securing federal funds for the virus and wildfires.

Newsom’s advisers are carefully watching the signature count and depict the effort as a President Donald Trump-inspired tactic to alter the election calendar in hopes of gaining political advantage.

Voters, they say, want the governor to remain focused on the pandemic.

“There are a lot of ambitious Republicans who want to be governor but would rather not play by the rules,” Newsom political strategist Dan Newman said.

State Democratic Party Chairman Rusty Hicks said in a statement that “the California Republican Party continues to demonstrate how disconnected they are from the plight and pain of working families.”

If it qualifies, state rules are not specific on when the election would occur. Recall organizers hope the date would be scheduled in July or August.

Former top Davis aide Susan Kennedy warned that “you just can’t underestimate the depth of people’s anger” but added that Newsom has time to recast his legacy.

“He will be defined not by the shutdowns and not by the crisis, he will be defined by the vaccine distribution and the recovery,” she said.

by Anonymousreply 1December 14, 2020 7:41 AM

He should be recalled but not replaced with a Rethuglican.

A real progressive would be a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 2December 14, 2020 8:23 AM

He's not going to get recalled, no Democrat has, despite years of your rightwing recall fantasies, troll.

by Anonymousreply 3December 14, 2020 8:28 AM

He is not losing a recall election. Dems vote in California.

by Anonymousreply 4December 14, 2020 8:50 AM

It's not gonna happen, this is just a right-wing jerkoff fantasy. Go fuck yourself with a cactus, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5December 14, 2020 8:58 AM

Look at his eyes in the pic

He's a power mad bitch!

Agree with poster upthread get a progressive to replace this CORPORATE DEM TOOL.

by Anonymousreply 6December 14, 2020 9:09 AM

Uh how quickly R3 forgets the California recall of Grey Davis in 2003. He was recalled and California ended up with Schwarzenegger.

by Anonymousreply 7December 14, 2020 9:10 AM

Wait...Someone is actually named “Randy Economy”? Did I read that correctly? If so, that’s the best part of the article.

by Anonymousreply 8December 14, 2020 9:43 AM

I’m a California Democrat in L.A. who would never vote for a Republican. BUT... Newsom royally fucked up. Not just the French Laundry episode - which is just a horrible optic, but by totally mishandling the 2nd wave. What the fuck was he waiting for? He went from a position of strength the first time around, to one of being namby pamby ringmaster of a shit show. Just hoping the numbers begin going down again. And fast.

by Anonymousreply 9December 14, 2020 10:02 AM

I'm going to vote to recall him and I will vote for his right-wing nut job GOP-Trumpist replacement so I can go to restaurants and bars again and be coughed on. In other news, would someone please shit in my mouth?

by Anonymousreply 10December 14, 2020 10:16 AM

Maybe a Newsom swimsuit calendar could cheer up the populace? I know I'd buy it.

by Anonymousreply 11December 14, 2020 10:23 AM

I say recall him and vote for another Democrat who isn't a big fat hypocrite.

by Anonymousreply 12December 14, 2020 10:27 AM

Here's hoping a Dem challenges him, if he gets recalled. Gav is a two-faced, bought-and-paid-for piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 13December 14, 2020 10:29 AM

I wonder how Ahnold Schwarzenigger woulda handled the 'rona.

by Anonymousreply 14December 14, 2020 10:31 AM

Quickly? R7, that was over 17 years ago. He is one of only two governors who have ever been successfully recalled, the other a century ago.

by Anonymousreply 15December 14, 2020 10:36 AM

[quote]I’m a California Democrat in L.A. who would never vote for a Republican. BUT... Newsom royally fucked up.

Oh fucking save it, troll. No one has bought the "I'm a Democrat but Democrats fucking suck" argument for a long time.

I guess OP woke up from his stupor, saw his thread had died, and trotted out some sockpuppets to give it life.

by Anonymousreply 16December 14, 2020 10:37 AM

Amen R5.

Chainsaw too.

by Anonymousreply 17December 14, 2020 10:46 AM

[quote]I say recall him and vote for another Democrat who isn't a big fat hypocrite.

Hear, hear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18December 14, 2020 10:55 AM

STILL can't cope because Dump (the worst president America has ever seen) lost in a landslide R18?

by Anonymousreply 19December 14, 2020 10:59 AM

R16, next time try to actually read the post. I’m disappointed and upset at Newsom, but nowhere did I say I’d vote for his recall. Try not to be a flaming shithead.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2020 11:11 AM

lol

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2020 11:29 AM

I wonder if Trump would stand in a recall election.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2020 11:34 AM

I want the Dem's to replace the slimey looking shit weasel.

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2020 11:56 AM

Every politician could learn something about how to handle a pandemic. Not just Repugs but Dems too. You cannot lockdown, entirely or partially, society thereby shutting off the economic livelihood of average workers if you don’t enact emergency economic relief. I don’t mean short-term stop gaps that congressional legislators bicker with each other about before passing every few, begrudging months. I mean a one time measure guaranteeing basic income for those who are affected by loss of economic livelihood. There are people who are genuinely suffering from the effects of this protracted pandemic financially. People are becoming psychologically affected because of their basic financial needs are not being met. Personally I’m fine but I know many of my patients are not, they’re struggling in more ways than one. It’s devastating, I can’t begin to tell you how deeply some people are being affected by this.

What should have happened and what should happen the next time, if there’s a next time, is for both federal and state government to act quickly to address economic realities of people being laid off as direct consequence of lockdown measures. The contrast between the haves and the have-nots who live paycheck to paycheck has declared itself in stark realities this year. We have workers who are relying on relief checks and food banks to feed their families. Then we have celebs who are vacationing in exotic locations and politicians who issue lockdown measures on day then dining at restaurants the next day. Not only is it bad optics but it makes people angry and mistrustful of governmental policies.

We need to consider installing UBI, perhaps temporarily to ensure that people would have funds to pay for the bare minimum necessities like food and rent. Lawmakers cannot have lockdowns without providing financial compensation to vulnerable workers.

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2020 12:59 PM

R24 is absolutely right. If the state compels you to stay home it needs to recompense you for that.

It hasn't, across many jurisdictions people have fallen through the cracks.

The economic disaster that will hit us in 2021 will be frightening. We will have to pay for the rescue packages for years to come, but people need help now, not platitudes.

by Anonymousreply 25December 14, 2020 1:13 PM

This seems like a typical Newsom move: show real leadership and then completely undermine it with some stupid, self-indulgent stunt that splatters shit on what he accomplished & diminishes if not crushes any good will he garnered.

by Anonymousreply 26December 14, 2020 1:23 PM

R25 Exactly. If the government is enacting policies that directly lead to you losing your economic livelihood, then absolutely it should compensate you for the loss. And legislators shouldn’t be proud of themselves for passing these economic measures either. Don’t lord it over voters like we’re children at the mercy of wealthy benefactors who hold the power (and purse) and who’ll maybe throw us a few bones if we comply with whatever sacrifice they demand from us.

Stop acting like overlords, our lawmakers may control the purse strings but they don’t own the contents of the purse. Many people see how lawmakers behave and find leadership sorely lacking from both parties. Effective leaders lead by example and by solving problems, they don’t diagnose the problem (by proxy via scientific/ public health authorities), issue edicts, then leave people to fucking manage stark economic realities on their own. I have low-income patients who were already teetering on edges of financial solvency prior to the pandemic. For instance a single mom who worked as a waitress to support her kids, she wasn’t on welfare and didn’t want or needed to be on it. Since the pandemic hit she’s at the mercy of lockdown measures, this week she’s out of a job again. Lawmakers should try living under that sort of uncertainty, and the stress of not knowing how they’ll provide for their families. Not providing for new vacations or even new clothes, but basics like food and shelter. Try that for a perspective.

by Anonymousreply 27December 14, 2020 1:50 PM

[quote] Every politician could learn something about how to handle a pandemic. Not just Repugs but Dems too. You cannot lockdown, entirely or partially, society thereby shutting off the economic livelihood of average workers if you don’t enact emergency economic relief.

[quote] I don’t mean short-term stop gaps that congressional legislators bicker with each other about before passing every few, begrudging months. I mean a one time measure guaranteeing basic income for those who are affected by loss of economic livelihood.

[quote] There are people who are genuinely suffering from the effects of this protracted pandemic financially. People are becoming psychologically affected because of their basic financial needs are not being met.

Thank you SO MUCH for your SANE and RATIONAL response to this story, R24.

It's too often that the HARPY, SCREECHING, REACTIONARY, and IMBALANCED SHREWS like R5, R10 and R17 try to shut down rational and reasonable discussion of lockdowns and their effect on people.

They scream, and screech and shout others down, trying to make everything fucking POLITICAL, when in actuality this is affecting every aspect of peoples' lives. Both Democrats and Republicans.

We need more people like R7 and R24 on this forum.

by Anonymousreply 28December 14, 2020 3:51 PM

I think that most Californians support Gavin, so there won't be a recall.

by Anonymousreply 29December 14, 2020 4:17 PM

R20, the only thing I said at r16 about how you'd vote is what I quoted directly from your own post. I didn't say anything about how you'd vote in the recall.

by Anonymousreply 30December 14, 2020 5:45 PM

WW for R24.

by Anonymousreply 31December 14, 2020 9:02 PM

I'm laughing at the trolls who attack Newsom for going to dinner...but not Trump for killing hundreds of people with his superspreader rallies

California's numbers could be a lot worse than they are

by Anonymousreply 32December 14, 2020 9:06 PM

If r18 hates hypocrites so much.....where is the hate for "family values" conservatives who overlooked Trump's many moral failures? Where is the hate for conservatives who attacked Obama for not having enough experience but voted for a reality show star with no political experience? Where is the hate for a president who told Bob Woodward that Covid was "deadly stuff" while publicly calling it a hoax? Where is the hate for the guy who bitched at Biden for being soft on China while paying thousands of dollars in taxes to China?

by Anonymousreply 33December 14, 2020 9:13 PM

Because that worked out so well last time Californians recalled a governor.

by Anonymousreply 34December 14, 2020 9:26 PM

THE title of the article really says it all - Newsom sees himself as more than a politician, but a “star.” Complete with a star’s arrogance and thinking he’s above the law. He’s been incredibly tone deaf and out of touch handling this second wave, and of course his popularity is going to suffer. R24 has it all right.

by Anonymousreply 35December 14, 2020 9:44 PM

R35, did Trump think he was above the law when he held all those superspreader rallies?

Do Republicans think they're above the law because they're trying to overturn the election results?

Freepers, be gone

by Anonymousreply 36December 14, 2020 9:58 PM

R36, yes, he did and they do. Nothing is as egregious as what they did.

This doesn’t mean Dems can’t make major missteps too from time to time. No they aren’t as bad but they still need to be held accountable. This comes from the “you can’t think two things at once” crew.

I can think both are wrong. And many do. This is not sensible or based on science.

by Anonymousreply 37December 14, 2020 10:30 PM

R37, all politicians make missteps - should every single one of them be recalled?

I hate "Democrats" who spend more time bashing other Dems than they do bashing Republicans

by Anonymousreply 38December 14, 2020 11:02 PM

[quote]WW for [R24].

Either R31 is new or pulling a Margaret Avery for R24. Which is neither witty nor wise.

by Anonymousreply 39December 14, 2020 11:09 PM

This effort will go nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 40December 14, 2020 11:13 PM

[quote]Uh how quickly [R3] forgets the California recall of Grey Davis in 2003

And how quickly people forget how to spell my (admittedly descriptive) name!

by Anonymousreply 41December 14, 2020 11:16 PM

I am so sorry, but I can't stand Newsom. He is smug, self-satisfied and totally a Rethug in sheep's clothing which has worn thin as he has callously ignored the plight of the unemployment benefits fraud scandal and acted with sub-zero regard for Californians. Essentially a less tacky Trump. What California needs is true leadership like Cuomo, which though far from perfect, included a bit more planning and accountability than Newsom's erratic moves.

by Anonymousreply 42December 14, 2020 11:19 PM

[quote] I’m a California Democrat in L.A. who would never vote for a Republican. BUT...

No, you're not.

by Anonymousreply 43December 14, 2020 11:29 PM

[quote] This effort will go nowhere.

The Gynecomastia Duo think otherwise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44December 14, 2020 11:41 PM

R44, in that case it's a sure winner, lol. There is nobody Californians love more than Newt Gingrich and Mike Huckabee...

Newsom isn't perfect -- he has his flaws -- but when I look at someone like a Kristi Noem or a Ron DeSantis, I'm sure grateful he's my governor instead.

by Anonymousreply 45December 15, 2020 2:18 AM

[quote] in that case it's a sure winner, lol. There is nobody Californians love more than Newt Gingrich and Mike Huckabee...

Exactly, R45. I can not think any two people more ill fitted to be associated with CA in any capacity. Their name and/or presence will cause people to rally around Newsom.

I had to buy Pepcid AC after reading the story.

by Anonymousreply 46December 15, 2020 2:52 AM

In California, districts are exempting themselves from Gov. Newsom's Public Health Guidelines. These are from the state's public health department, which is very good. In orange county, it is Clayton Chau. He has a fake degree. The board and the CEO Frank Kim refuse to replace him with someone qualified. All these people are being paid. There are layers of corruption making the pandemic very difficult the deal with. They are Republicans doing this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 15, 2020 3:37 AM

He needs a fucking haircut.

by Anonymousreply 48December 15, 2020 3:54 AM

It's interesting that orange county republicans are blaming Newsom, when they all know it this Clayton Chau. How does a person with a fake degree get through Orange County HR department? CORRUPTION, they knew he had a fake degree and they place everyone at risk. It is not funny. People are dying. The ICU are overwhelmed

BTW, this moron is getting paid.

by Anonymousreply 49December 15, 2020 4:04 AM

Hey Hilter, you should have just became a republican and got a job in Orange County. You could have killed more Americans, and gotten away with it.

Republican = Fascist.

by Anonymousreply 50December 15, 2020 4:05 AM

R49 could you please explain a little more about what's going on in the OC with the guy you're talking about?

For those of us who aren't familiar with the story.

by Anonymousreply 51December 15, 2020 4:12 AM

the story is here [R47]

by Anonymousreply 52December 15, 2020 4:14 AM

To the person asking about Randy Economy.

Yes, that is a real person and that is his name. Don't know if it is his birth name or not, but it is the name he goes by now.

He is a investigative "journalist" and political consultant and general shit-stirrer. He's the one that first wrote about problems in LA County Assessor's office where then assessor John Nogues had his underlings cut the assessed value of properties owned by his largest campaign donors. Nogues is currently awaiting trial for his misdeeds.

by Anonymousreply 53December 15, 2020 4:22 AM

Dear idiot at R33, This thread is about Newsom, if you want to see more hate begin a thread on those other hypocrites.

by Anonymousreply 54December 15, 2020 6:03 AM

I've seen petitioners out with their recall papers at local stores. What I don't see is anyone sign them.

by Anonymousreply 55December 15, 2020 6:30 AM

I heard that some county officials are in trouble for corruption scandals. And this is a preemptive strike to cause confusion.

by Anonymousreply 56December 18, 2020 2:02 AM

You can only call out bed behavior if a Republican does it. If you call out a Democrat’s bad behavior, you’re a Boris.

We get it.

by Anonymousreply 57December 18, 2020 2:05 AM

Gingrich and Huckabee are behind this.

It’ll go nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 58December 18, 2020 2:06 AM

But ya ARE, Blanche R57! Ya ARE Boris!

by Anonymousreply 59December 18, 2020 2:09 AM

He had his chance, He's over now. Replace him with Pete.

by Anonymousreply 60December 18, 2020 2:11 AM

Republicans cannot stay they want businesses open, then get mad when people support restaurants. Restaurants are open partially and can do take out and delivery.

More sinister, Republicans are actively trying to spread Covid.

Gavin is the Governor and he is an EMERGENCY RES PONDER. He is actually doing a lot for us, public health wise.

by Anonymousreply 61December 18, 2020 2:13 AM

Republicans sick logic: we want to eat at restaurants we cannot possible afford. We want medical doctors and nurse to starve and die.

Medical doctors and nurses are emergency personnel. They are working and they need to be able to eat and get their supplies too.

by Anonymousreply 62December 18, 2020 2:18 AM

Restrictions in CA are in fact over the top, especially in the Bay Area. Heads need to roll over these authoritarian rules!

by Anonymousreply 63December 18, 2020 2:39 AM

"Authoritarian" is just another deplorable buzzword. Do as you're told, you fucking fascists!

by Anonymousreply 64December 18, 2020 2:43 AM

they are going to shut down non essential businesses. Though ALL hospital medical doctors and nurses are going to have to work during christmas. So their Christmas is going to suck. Just seeing pain and death.

by Anonymousreply 65December 18, 2020 5:11 AM

All of California, R65?

Or just Los Angeles?

by Anonymousreply 66December 18, 2020 5:14 AM

R3 Gray Davis was indeed recalled. Replaced with Arnold Schwarzenegger. So it can actually happen.

by Anonymousreply 67December 18, 2020 5:17 AM

I follow some rightwing groups and believe it, they are actively intent on recalling Newsome. I will not be surprised if this happens. Let's not forget people do get recalled in California, and yes, I'm talking about the shitshow we ended up with by the name of Arnold Schwarzenegger.

by Anonymousreply 68December 18, 2020 5:27 AM

He is trying to save lives. Republicans are spreading the illness, purposely.

by Anonymousreply 69December 18, 2020 6:00 AM

[quote]assessor John Nogues had his underlings cut the assessed value of properties owned by his largest campaign donors

Oh, do you have his number?

Asking for a friend.

by Anonymousreply 70December 18, 2020 8:33 AM

This is typical California Repugs. They have been posting everywhere lately, Youtube, Facebook etc. Recall, Recall, Recall, of course they name only Democrats. "my rights" bla, bla, bla. Not going to happen. Trump fucked this thing up not anyone else. And the one time in recent history a Repug was put into power he fucked up, fought with the legislature, circumvented the rules for personal gain, cheated on his wife, had an illegitimate baby with the maid, got a divorce and got nothing down as Governor except get us into debt. That's the one thing Repugs love to say they are good at and he couldn't even do that. It took another Democrat to clean up his mess and rescue our economy.

by Anonymousreply 71December 18, 2020 9:19 AM

Newsom's ratings are very high it's 64% favorable to 36% unfavorable. No one gets recalled with that kind of positive number. Interestingly, it almost matches up exactly with the ration of Democrats to Republicans in the state, so shocker, Repugs all screaming recalled. Or threatening to move to Texas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72December 18, 2020 9:28 AM

Republicans: We want all the restaurants and businesses open now, except for gavin.

Is not a good recall slogan. Is NOT logical. Not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 73December 18, 2020 12:10 PM

R65, are you there?

ALL of California, or just LA?

by Anonymousreply 74December 18, 2020 3:50 PM

R9 here... I’ve been called a Republican here, a troll, and I’ve been misquoted or inferring things I never said.

All I know is that since I posted about 11 days or so ago, the numbers in California have doubled from 20+ thousand (when it was just a tragic nightmare) to the now 50,000. I walked over to a food truck in Los Feliz a couple nights ago, and turned right back around after seeing mask-less people at the truck’s window where the guy was handling food and taking money. It wasn’t a “Trump and Republicans are assholes” situation, and the non-masked while I was there were primarily people of color, Afro & Latino.

This 3rd wave that we’re going through is purely from a lack of responsible leadership. I don’t want Newsom recalled, and certainly not by a Republican, but he (and Garcetti) really need to take draconian measures - like shutting EVERYTHING down. Someone needs to have the balls to step up. I think Newsom had them in the beginning, and hopefully he’ll find where he misplaced them.

by Anonymousreply 75December 19, 2020 8:24 AM

You know, it's not about being tough it's about being responsible. Is Newsom supposed to put people in jail for not wearing a mask? See how that will go over really well with all the Republicans in the sate. If American society took personal responsibility more seriously, we wouldn't have this problem. Other countries like Australia managed to do it. But America, nope, my damn rights, fake news, my business, me, me, me, bla, bla, bla,

by Anonymousreply 76December 19, 2020 8:44 AM

they just shut down all non essential businesses. restaurants can stay open for take out and deliveries, if they follow PH guidelines. It is the malls and retail streets that fight back, because they are not essential.

by Anonymousreply 77December 19, 2020 9:34 AM

Funny how the Republicans are always prating about "personal responsibility" when it comes to other people, but when the rubber hits the road they deny that there's any responsibility involved for themselves. Stop denying them their freedom to infect and get infected!

by Anonymousreply 78December 19, 2020 3:28 PM

R75 is correct.

by Anonymousreply 79December 19, 2020 6:40 PM

"Everything Kimberly Guilfoyle Touches Eventually Dies."

by Anonymousreply 80December 19, 2020 6:50 PM

R75, restrictions are way overdone! People are not going to put up with this shit indefinitely. If Newsom doesn't start opening things soon, he deserves to be recalled!

by Anonymousreply 81January 24, 2021 3:43 AM

He’s a slimy biotech cokehead and should be kicked into a volcano.

by Anonymousreply 82January 24, 2021 4:02 AM

State government were forced to cobble together a strategy to combat the infection when the Trump administration deliberately withheld resources to including accurate data.

This was intentional.

Now the states are being blamed for the deaths, high infection rates and burned out businesses.

by Anonymousreply 83January 24, 2021 4:09 AM

deliberately withheld resources to protect us

by Anonymousreply 84January 24, 2021 4:10 AM

Who could successfully beat him in a recall election? The Republicans in California are truly a minority party; the few that are prominent are despised outside their right wing districts.

I can’t imagine the Democrats sponsoring a candidate to run against him.

That said, the California Democratic Party is way too complacent and is In many ways run like an old political machine. They need to be more focused on the needs of their constituents or eventually they’ll be in for a reckoning at the ballot box.

by Anonymousreply 85January 24, 2021 4:14 AM

You know he thinks gay men are a joke, right?

by Anonymousreply 86January 24, 2021 4:23 AM

[quote]restrictions are way overdone! People are not going to put up with this shit indefinitely. If Newsom doesn't start opening things soon, he deserves to be recalled!

This again? Why dont you Trumpian Repugs take you bullshit to the toilet where it belongs. Your fearless leader was flushed and so is this stupid idea it's the Governors fault when we all know it's ass holes like you who made it worse. My Right! Fuck the old people, My Business!

There's already been a recall in case you haven notice, his name was TRUMP.

by Anonymousreply 87January 24, 2021 5:31 AM

[quote]You know he thinks gay men are a joke, right?

That's Trumps dipshit. Gavin is very pro gay long before most progressives.

Within months of becoming San Francisco mayor in 2004, Gavin Newsom decided his hometown would ignore the ant-gay law and issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

by Anonymousreply 88January 24, 2021 5:36 AM

[quote] He’s a slimy biotech cokehead and should be kicked into a volcano.

While not sure about the volcano bit, but as a CA resident, was willing to give Newsom a chance.

But the thousand-dollar-birthday dinner he attended in a restaurant with lobbyists while calling for his citizens to hunker down at home (personally haven’t been to a restaurant in 11 months) was pathetic.

A deep dive into his history reveals coke addiction, philandering, hypocrisy and that history with Kimberly Guilfoyle.

While CA’s pandemic failure cannot be laid solely at his feet thanks to Trump’s horrific antics, Newsom has not lived up to the job.

He comes across as an oily-used-car salesman.

Huge disappointment all around following his predecessor.

Although I voted for him, I would not be sad to see him go: even recalled.

He was given an opportunity to demonstrate who he is.

Would like someone with decency and integrity to replace him. And certainly would not like to see him in any advanced political position.

by Anonymousreply 89January 24, 2021 5:38 AM

Kick the smug cunt to the curb.

by Anonymousreply 90January 24, 2021 5:39 AM

R89 = Hi Kimberly! You miss my big fat cock don't you? How's your new coke head son of a loser Don Jr. doing? Is he as small as they say he is? If you like oily-used-car salesman, all can say is congratulations!

by Anonymousreply 91January 24, 2021 5:47 AM

[quote]While CA’s pandemic failure cannot be laid solely at his feet

Bitch Please, if Trump had done his job we wound not be in this situation. And if the fucking Deplorable who still live in California did their part wearing mask instead of whining about their rights we would all be back to normal by now. He's not to blame as all. Stop repeating Faux News talking points.

by Anonymousreply 92January 24, 2021 5:54 AM

R89 = Boris

"im a democrat but........"

"I voted for him but.......negative jab, negative jab, negative jab"

You really need a new job Boris. Your BS does not work here.

by Anonymousreply 93January 24, 2021 5:56 AM

Recall Newsom! It looks like he might lose that VP slot.

This high-ranking American politician is getting really anxious about his relationship with a famous female politician!

He feels like he made her career and got her into her last job and her current job and now she is f*cking him over.

What’s going on?

They are from the same state. He is in trouble. And she won’t return his calls.

Why not?

Because he was caught doing something he shouldn’t have been doing, and she is keeping her distance from him and his scandal.

Why does this make him anxious?

Well, the first reason is that he is fighting to keep his current job.

He is in real danger of being recalled and she probably doesn’t want to be seen as supporting him.

The second reason has to do with his future job.

This sucks because he fully expected her to move up to [Higher Position] and he fully expected her to chose him to replace her in her old job.

Oh, really?

So he thought she was going to be loyal to him and help him climb the ladder, but, like many politicians, she is only looking out for herself.

By the way, despite the rumors, the two of them were never romantically involved. Yes, they slept with everyone else, but not with each other.

Because they had a strictly professional relationship, there was real possibility that this twosome could have gone the distance as a couple in the political world.

As of today, that is looking much less likely.

Maybe he could take her out to a nice restaurant for dinner and try to win her over again?

Oops.

Never mind!

by Anonymousreply 94January 24, 2021 7:08 AM

If he runs for President of USA, I will consider voting for him...he'll probably get my vote.

Also recently, I read there are issues with how he awarded a multi-million contract to a chinese company to make N95 masks. He won't answer any questions about it.

I wonder if he's back on the sauce again...

by Anonymousreply 95January 24, 2021 7:15 AM

Why is Kimberly Ann Guilfoyle at r94 posting here? We know you hate Gavin, we go it. You made your bed with Trump swan, now lie in it you stupid whore.

by Anonymousreply 96January 24, 2021 7:36 AM

Gavin is still very poplar, haters going to hate. There's not going to be a recall no matter how many boards you post you shit to.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97January 24, 2021 7:39 AM

That poll is from back in September. The French Laundry incident and recall efforts started thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 98January 24, 2021 8:21 AM

I can’t have respect for anyone who was once married to Kimberly Gargoyle.

by Anonymousreply 99January 24, 2021 8:42 AM

The Recall Newsom effort is being led by extremist Republicans. Their brand is thoroughly toxic in California these days.

by Anonymousreply 100January 24, 2021 5:47 PM

They got 1.2M signatures now. They need 1.5M to get it on the ballot. This may be more serious than people think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 24, 2021 5:52 PM

Dining out once at a pricey French restaurant during a pandemic, in which he had discouraged the public to avoid dine-in gatherings, is contradictory and hypocritical. However, that alone, should not warrant a recall. It was arrogant and embarrassing behavior, that requires an apology and expressions of regret, which he did.

If he knowingly allowed state fraud activity, neglected doing his job, or misappropriated funds, then if such matters are true, recall may be an appropriate response.

by Anonymousreply 102January 24, 2021 6:09 PM

Newsom has to unleash that big dick to the public.

It's the only way.

by Anonymousreply 103January 24, 2021 6:14 PM

Not too hard to find 1.5 million MAGAts in California. It’s a huge state.

by Anonymousreply 104January 24, 2021 6:18 PM

R103 it is a tiny dick which is why his ex is with a Trump, anything more than two inches hurts her.

by Anonymousreply 105January 24, 2021 6:24 PM

[quote] [R89] = Boris "im a democrat but........" "I voted for him but.......negative jab, negative jab, negative jab" You really need a new job Boris. Your BS does not work here.

R93, your Troll attacks are telling about you.

If you want to argue that Newsom has done a fabulous job as CA’s governor, go all out.

I’m in a SOLIDLY blue area of SoCal, and MANY of us are not happy with him. Some of my Biden-yard-sign neighbors are even so disgusted they might even join the recall.

[quote] If he knowingly allowed state fraud activity, neglected doing his job, or misappropriated funds, then if such matters are true, recall may be an appropriate response.

Indeed, R103.

by Anonymousreply 106January 24, 2021 7:10 PM

He is doing a horrible job of managing covid, anybody who doesn’t live in California should t even be weighing in on this. I agree with closing down bars and restaurants, as they are environments where people remove their masks. Given this new mutant strain I’d say taking off your mask is a horrible idea. On the other hand closing down hair salons, nail spas and other places that have complied to distancing, plexiglass dividers, face shields, adequate capacity, etc should not be closed down. His people aren’t even giving us the data to what percentage of these places are linked to the spread of covid. It’s a big mess. I don’t think he should be recalled, but I definitely won’t be surprised if he loses the next election. I dread what Republicunt trash we will be stuck with if that fucking happens. I miss Jerry Brown.

by Anonymousreply 107January 24, 2021 7:15 PM

us democrats love the guy...its the repugs who are pushin for this.

by Anonymousreply 108January 24, 2021 7:21 PM

He needs to be recalled for the original sin of Kimberly Guilfoyle. I don't care how strong her kegel muscles were.

by Anonymousreply 109January 24, 2021 7:23 PM

R107, the Republican mayor of San Diego is often cited as a potential future governor. But he’s not a Trump ass-licker, so the MAGAts hate him - and he’s a Republican, so most Democrats outside the red parts of CA will have a hard time supporting him too.

by Anonymousreply 110January 24, 2021 7:24 PM

His policies worked so well in San Francisco, now he wants the whole state to enjoy his success there.

by Anonymousreply 111January 24, 2021 7:33 PM

I dont' hate Gavin personally or against him because he is a democrat, but CA is really becoming a cesspit. The homelessness has really had an impact on the quality of life in SF and LA. I don't think Newsom has done a good job managing the pandemic over the course of the year. At first, I was very proud of our efforts, but now it's a clusterfuck. His messaging has been very confusing about vaccinations, etc. He has always had the west coast elite vibe. People harp on the French Laundry because it really crystallizes what you might have assumed what Gavin Newsom was all about from the get go. I love the CA is so open and free. You can be who you want to be, there are opportunities, etc. However, the state is not equipped for disasters and we are in a disaster prone area. The fires are getting out of control by the year and yes, the federal level hold accountability, but so does the state. I would not want to see the country run like CA has been run. The problems are starting to overshadow the good, which is sad because CA is the best state in the country.

by Anonymousreply 112January 24, 2021 7:39 PM

Jerry Brown would have handled this much better than Newsom. There is no reason why California should be in the bottom 20% of states in terms of vaccinations, given the vast resources the state has.

Newsom got the first month of the pandemic right, then botched everything after that. He's a failure as governor, and I hope the state's jungle primary system means he can be voted out while still getting a Democrat in office.

by Anonymousreply 113January 24, 2021 8:09 PM

The singer Joanna Newsom (married to Andy Samberg) is his cousin and even she didn't vote for him the first time around. Very telling.

by Anonymousreply 114January 24, 2021 8:12 PM

[quote] Jerry Brown would have handled this much better than Newsom. There is no reason why California should be in the bottom 20% of states in terms of vaccinations, given the vast resources the state has.

Agreed R113. Newsom was new, fresh and had the currency of someone to carry California through the pandemic less traumatically than other states.

He’s failed to do so.

This is not even taking into account his hypocrisy, coke addiction and pandering to lobbyists and the very wealthy.

He’s wasted his political capital.

As a Democrat, he failed in his predecessor’s footsteps.

And he’s failed California.

by Anonymousreply 115January 24, 2021 8:35 PM

We aint gettin rid of the best llookin gov in the states hunty....

by Anonymousreply 116January 24, 2021 8:58 PM

R100 Keep telling yourself that, dumbass. Plenty of moderates and progressives are sick and scared of the steep decline happening before our eyes in California. To be fair, he inherited a lot of problems but he has shown zero leadership. Taxes are out of control, the cost of living is out of control (in LA County, many are paying over 10% in sales tax, gas is still over $3.00/gal, houses are unaffordable), homelessness is WAY out of control, wildfires are out of control, and he is way soft on crime and hard on small businesses. Add to that his smarmy persona and his hypocrisy...I’d love to see him out on his ass YESTERDAY.

by Anonymousreply 117January 24, 2021 8:59 PM

R114 They’re second cousins twice removed. Hardly someone you’d cross paths with except maybe at Grandma Esther’s sister’s husband’s funeral.

by Anonymousreply 118January 24, 2021 9:04 PM

[quote] I love the CA is so open and free. You can be who you want to be, there are opportunities, etc.

20 years ago, yes. Not now.

by Anonymousreply 119January 24, 2021 9:08 PM

[quote] he has shown zero leadership

Agree, R117. Therein lies the whole issue. For. A. Governor. Of. The (Formerly?) Sixth. Largest. Economy.

[quote] Add to that his smarmy persona and his hypocrisy...I’d love to see him out on his ass YESTERDAY.

Bingo. As someone said above, California does not need an oily used car salesman ESPECIALLY now.

by Anonymousreply 120January 24, 2021 9:23 PM

I talked to a colleague in a California red area on Friday, who said the cities and towns there are FILLED with restaurants, bars, salons, gyms, etc., with blinds down and "Closed" signs up . . . and full parking lots. Their rates are shooting up and hospitals are full. Local officials aren't doing a damn thing, and now COVID tourists are streaming in from other parts of the state to enjoy all this, spreading the virus all the fuck around.

MAGAts ruin everything.

by Anonymousreply 121January 24, 2021 9:31 PM

Newsom needs to GO.

Bring another Dem in who has capabilities and shows authentic leadership.

(Come back, Jerry Brown....)

by Anonymousreply 122January 24, 2021 9:34 PM

Gavin also thinks Californians should pay reparations to African Americans. Ridiculous! We don’t have a history of black slavery, or even segregation in our state. The South East souls have to pay that stuff! He has lost his damn mind.

by Anonymousreply 123January 24, 2021 9:50 PM

*should*

by Anonymousreply 124January 24, 2021 9:51 PM

Newsom, Pelosi, and Breed all need to go. California hypocrites resign.

by Anonymousreply 125January 24, 2021 9:56 PM

A recall because he had a dinner with friends despite his warnings seems silly. People need to have more of a reason than this to recall someone.

by Anonymousreply 126January 24, 2021 10:01 PM

The homeless problem is really out of control here now. I ride my bike a few times a week and am shocked at how many tents are EVERYWHERE now. Tents and broken down RV's sitting on streets marked 2 hour parking for MONTHS with no tickets. I parked one time on a street marked 2 hr parking and forgot and had a ticket when I went out and yet, the RV down the street, the hole on it's side patched up with duct tape and a tarp on top to cover the roof has been there for a year. Tent cities everywhere and crime is rising near me. Every night I get notifications on my phone about someone threatening people with machetes or smashing cars with metal pipes or fires happening in encampments. Meanwhile, a one bedroom apartment surrounded by this filth and squalor run $2300 per month, sometimes more depending on what you are looking for. It's outrageous. And nothing is being done. People are leaving CA and I suspect once the pandemic has run it's course, more will leave as people realize living on top of such filth and with so many people around is a time bomb. We have been closed down in LA for months but our numbers were rising out of control. Personally, I don't know if it's Newsome's fault but something has to change and fast because CA really is becoming on par with certain parts of India with homeless shitting in the streets and families of up to 15 people living in one home.

by Anonymousreply 127January 24, 2021 10:04 PM

The MAGAt crowd has been up in arms about him since he was elected, but the rest of us think he has been doing a good job. California has become a COVID pit because the MAGAt idiots refuse to wear masks or socially distance. They equate endangering public health with "peaceful protest."

by Anonymousreply 128January 24, 2021 10:07 PM

R121 I was with you until the last sentence. This is not a MAGAt issue. It is an issue of poor leadership and no personal responsibility by residents. You really can’t be that blinded by politics to see the truth, can you?

by Anonymousreply 129January 24, 2021 10:17 PM

R127 There are no words to describe the horrific homeless problem. Fucking tent cities EVERYWHERE, even where there were none previously. I drove through Echo Park, Koreatown and Downtown LA recently. It was utter mayhem. Ragged masses of people literally lying on the concrete, pants down in drug induced stupors, yelling at passersby, hitting themselves, blocks and blocks of ramshackle tents, all culminated with a guy openly taking a shit on the street. Gone are the days when I could walk to the coffee shop and maybe pass one transient. It looked like a damned warzone.

The question arises: Where the fuck is all our tax money being spent?! Bond after bond is passed to combat homelessness, us working folks give nearly half our income to taxes, where the fuck does it go?!

by Anonymousreply 130January 24, 2021 10:25 PM

Homeless are being bused into those areas from other parts of the country, or they are freely migrating there because California provided the best aid for them. California got hit bad, but now the cheap sunbelt cities such as Phoenix, Houston, and Austin are gaining on this problem too.

by Anonymousreply 131January 24, 2021 10:28 PM

R128 I despise MAGAts as much as the next person, but anecdotal evidence will tell you otherwise. I can say with full confidence that plenty of regular people are getting together behind the scenes, weddings, funerals, dinner parties, sweet 16s, holidays, football game nights, beach days, masks be damned.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132January 24, 2021 10:29 PM

Another California Dem. here who wants Newsom recalled.

by Anonymousreply 133January 24, 2021 10:38 PM

R132 and more power to them, people aren't going to be living like hermits forever, ENOUGH!

by Anonymousreply 134January 24, 2021 10:41 PM

Yep, 130. I passed a guy taking a shit on the street just the other day. At my workplace last year, we had video of a homeless woman coming into our carports and taking a shit right there. It's just horrific.

by Anonymousreply 135January 24, 2021 10:50 PM

[quote]They got 1.2M signatures now. They need 1.5M to get it on the ballot. This may be more serious than people think.

Bitch Please, California has a population of 40,000,000 people. Even they get it on the ballot, 1 in 40 haters is not going to make for a recall.

by Anonymousreply 136January 24, 2021 11:43 PM

[quote]I’m in a SOLIDLY blue area of SoCal, and MANY of us are not happy with him. Some of my Biden-yard-sign neighbors are even so disgusted they might even join the recall.

OK, thanks again Boris for proving my point.

"I'm a Democrat but...."

"I'm a Californian but.."

"WE are all Biden supporters but..."

by Anonymousreply 137January 24, 2021 11:48 PM

[quote]Plenty of moderates and progressives are sick and scared of the steep decline happening before our eyes in California.

Transaltion = Boris

[quote]To be fair, he inherited a lot of problems but he has shown zero leadership.

Translation = Repug

[quote]Taxes are out of control, the cost of living is out of control (in LA County, many are paying over 10% in sales tax,

Translation = Repug, Repug Repug, everything revolves around taxes.

[quote] gas is still over $3.00/gal, houses are unaffordable

Translation = Poor white trash

[quote]wildfires are out of control

Translation = Climate Denier...must be the Governors fault.

[quote] hard on small businesses.

Translation = I just watched Fox News

[quote]Add to that his smarmy persona and his hypocrisy...I’d love to see him out on his ass YESTERDAY.

Translation = Kimberly Guilfoyle

by Anonymousreply 138January 25, 2021 12:01 AM

Newsom was elected in 2018 by a landslide of 62-38%. The state is a lot more Democratic today than it was.

by Anonymousreply 139January 25, 2021 12:10 AM

[quote] OK, thanks again Boris for proving my point. "I'm a Democrat but...." "I'm a Californian but.." "WE are all Biden supporters but...

What the hell is your problem, R137?

You accuse anyone of a differing opinion as being a “Boris”?

Jesus, man, get a bloody clue and GET OFF Newsom’s payroll.

There are PLENTY of individuals who are dissatisfied with Gavin.

READ THE ROOM.

by Anonymousreply 140January 25, 2021 12:20 AM

Poor Boris...so desperate...clinging to any subject...barely hanging on. Bumping political threads as fear porn.

FYI: this will never happen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141January 25, 2021 12:28 AM

[quote]individuals who are dissatisfied with Gavin.

And your alternative, Miss Sarandon?

by Anonymousreply 142January 25, 2021 12:47 AM

The homeless problem has taken over everyday, "middle class" neighborhoods (meaning 1-2M nothing special ranch homes) in LA. People work very hard to afford these homes and to give their kids a decent area to grow up in and by decent I mean OK. I'm not talking BH, Brentwood, etc. In SF. there is human shit everywhere. Now people on nextdoor have cameras everywhere and are posting pictures of homeless shitting on the side of residential houses. It's disgusting. I think of getting 3500-4000 sq ft home(like everyone on DL has as noted in another thread) with a yard for $500K seems appealing. People are actually moving to Texas, Florida, and Utah.

by Anonymousreply 143January 25, 2021 12:47 AM

[quote] He is not losing a recall election. Dems vote in California.

Huh, that's what I said back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 144January 25, 2021 12:48 AM

Lesbian here. I live in North Hollywood and just decided to walk to Walgreens about a mile from me to drop off a package at the Fedex drop off site there and it was so much fun having to walk around dog shit on all the sidewalks, having to walk in the busy street because the homeless tents are blocking the way, passing person after person not wearing a mask, and then having homeless/mentally ill people yell things at me the entire way. One guy yelled something in Spanish so I have no idea what he said but he did it right as I passed him, one half naked lady tried to bust out of a Tmobile store in her wheelchair screeching, "Get me out of this fucking shit store!!" and another guy who straight up asked me if my "pussy was wet." Never used to be this bad.

by Anonymousreply 145January 25, 2021 1:08 AM

[quote] Huh, that's what I said back in the day.

[quote] —Grey Davis

OMG R144...you are SO right. Because nothing in the world or in politics has changed since 2003.

You should note that Paris Hilton and Nicole Ritchie don't hang out anymore.

Oh, and it's "Gray."

by Anonymousreply 146January 25, 2021 1:10 AM

[quote] People are actually moving to Texas, Florida, and Utah.

And then they turn those states into shit like they did in California. Then they move to the next state. Rinse and repeat.

by Anonymousreply 147January 25, 2021 1:18 AM

R146 Exactly, 2003 was when Republicans were still riding the wave of patriotic support post 9/11. Schwarzenegger rode that wave into Sacramento. Now all Republicans are stigmatized as enablers for Trump who's responsible for the botched pandemic response that killed a lot of people and for the deplorables storming of the Capitol. These political fiascos are still fresh in people's memory, so Newsom is safe politically in California just by not being a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 148January 25, 2021 1:25 AM

[quote] Poor Boris...so desperate...clinging to any subject...barely hanging on. Bumping political threads as fear porn. FYI: this will never happen.

Get a clue Boris Troll. And get out of Gavin’s behind. He’s an oily, smarmy incompetent....although that may be difficult to see when you are in his colon.

[quote] And your alternative, Miss Sarandon?

Not Miss Sarandon. Where do come up with this shite?

There are alternatives to Newsom’s hypocrisy, incompetency, and coke & women addiction.

His predecessor demonstrated that California doesn’t have to crash into economic, viral and climate disasters.

Talk to Jerry Brown, R142.

by Anonymousreply 149January 25, 2021 1:38 AM

In principle, a politician can be removed for whatever reason, depending on state law. I respect the right to obtain the signatures and meet the recall requirements. However, in my personal opinion, a politician should be removed when he/she has committed an apparent crime or transgression. The public has the right to remove them by voting them out of office during the next election.

In CA, a dirty campaign funded by secret money is supporting the recall effort. This recall effort is much worse than what occurred during the Gray Davis term and Arnold's subsequent election. Gavin is not doing a good job. During this pandemic, his administration's performance has much to be desired, whether it is testing, vaccination, or accurate data. The business community has a right to be upset with the haphazard way the closures have been addressed. Add to this the California Development Department of paying out non-deserving unemployment benefits to prisoners, foreign hackers, and other criminal elements to an estimate of 12 BILLION dollars! And let's not forget about the French Laundry!

Unless illegal issues are brought forth, I will reluctantly vote against any recall. But come November 2022, he will not receive my vote. We need some real house cleaning in this state.

by Anonymousreply 150January 25, 2021 2:04 AM

Toss Garcetti out with him!

by Anonymousreply 151January 25, 2021 2:09 AM

[quote] R146 Exactly, 2003 was when Republicans were still riding the wave of patriotic support post 9/11. Schwarzenegger rode that wave into Sacramento. Now all Republicans are stigmatized as enablers for Trump who's responsible for the botched pandemic response that killed a lot of people and for the deplorables storming of the Capitol. These political fiascos are still fresh in people's memory, so Newsom is safe politically in California just by not being a Republican.

Shut your fucking mouth R148. You're a Fake Democrat Concern Troll and not a very good one. Your conjecture is idiocy at its best.

by Anonymousreply 152January 25, 2021 2:24 AM

[quote] There are PLENTY of individuals who are dissatisfied with Gavin. READ THE ROOM.

The Room is full of Depolrables and Repugs, Russians No? Posting 50 times on the same thread does not equate to what Californians really think. It just smacks as a desperate Troll failing at his job.

You are just bitter because Amazon shut down Parler.

by Anonymousreply 153January 25, 2021 3:21 AM

[quote]People are actually moving to Texas, Florida, and Utah.

If I had a dime for every time I hear a Deplorable repeat that over, and over and over and over again I really would be rich by now. That line has been repeated for the last fucking 10 years! Who cares! The less Trumptard the better.

by Anonymousreply 154January 25, 2021 3:26 AM

R153 shut the fuck up. I’m a gay man, a native Californian and a registered voting Democrat. I don’t like the awful job Gavin Newsom is doing...I have a lot of friends who are also registered Democrats who don’t care for the terrible job he is doing. The vaccine is taking forever to get into people’s arms, there are tons of homeless, high taxes, expensive housing, garbage all over the roads....too many shitty thing to count that have actually gotten worse since he took over from Jerry Kick ass Brown! You probably don’t even live here! Just because we are tired of his crappy random shut downs and not getting enough people vaccinated fast enough, while he parties with groups of people at posh restaurants, does not mean we are deplorables, you idiot fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 155January 25, 2021 3:29 AM

I was actually born in California douche bag R155. I know hundreds of people, most of them Democrats, NONE, I REPEAT NONE of them want Gavin recalled. The only ones I ever hear that from are Republicans and a handful of Independents that almost always vote Republican.

by Anonymousreply 156January 25, 2021 3:39 AM

[quote] high taxes, expensive housing.... gotten worse since he took over from Jerry Kick ass Brown!

You lost me at higher taxes. Only Repugs go on and on about taxes. They also loved Jerry Brown almost as much as the Democrats because he was fiscally conservative.

You have been outed Repug.

by Anonymousreply 157January 25, 2021 3:45 AM

156 I never said I wanted him recalled. From what I’ve read most people here aren’t really saying that either. They are simply saying he sucks.

by Anonymousreply 158January 25, 2021 3:46 AM

R157 die in a grease fire or from covid. You are a fucking idiot with borderline personality. Thinks every damn person who speaks up is a damn Russian or a Republicunt. Gavin Newsom sucks and so do you. We aren’t in this mess just from Trumptards. Newsom is the one responsible for how fucked up the vaccine distribution has been.

by Anonymousreply 159January 25, 2021 3:50 AM

R159, the reason Trumptard like yourself hate Newsom is you can take responsibility for putting Trump into office. This is his mess, the threw all the responsibility to the states forcing them to compete with each other for resources. Newsom is doing the best job he could do given that California has 40 million people where just under half of them are Trump voters, anti maskers and vaxxers. Please tell me which other Governor is doing a better job with a population that size.

by Anonymousreply 160January 25, 2021 4:08 AM

[quote] I was actually born in California douche bag [R155]. I know hundreds of people, most of them Democrats, NONE, I REPEAT NONE of them want Gavin recalled. The only ones I ever hear that from are Republicans and a handful of Independents that almost always vote Republican.

Well, perhaps you should get out from your bubble a bit more, R156.

I’m a Californian Democrat who voted for Gavin. As did virtually all of my surrounding neighbors. We had a recent (virtual) discussion on Newsom’s recall, and while none of us have actively sought it out or signed on yet; EVERY one of the 64 (Dems) on the zoom call agreed (with the recall) and would vote him OUT at this moment if given the opportunity.

Telling.

by Anonymousreply 161January 25, 2021 4:10 AM

He needs some fat in his neck. I don't like the way you can see all the muscles and tendons and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 162January 25, 2021 4:24 AM

R160, wow. You really are retarded. I didn’t fucking vote for Trump, you ignoramus. Holy fucking shit, you’re a moron.

by Anonymousreply 163January 25, 2021 4:39 AM

R157 Unlike you, some of us work hard for our money and want to see it spent wisely. You can troll all day long to your heart’s desire but it doesn’t detract from the fact that some of us are contributors and others are fucking users like yourself. My dissatisfaction has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with moral and fiscal responsibility and leadership. Go take a walk through LA and tell me if what you see is acceptable. Your pussy ass wouldn’t last 5 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 164January 25, 2021 4:45 AM

[quote] Newsom is doing the best job he could do given that California has 40 million people where just under half of them are Trump voters, anti maskers and vaxxers. Please tell me which other Governor is doing a better job with a population that size.

Disagree immensely, R160.

As a CA registered Dem, think Gavin is doing an awful job. The only thing he did was take an early lead in the pandemic by announcing his plans. Things started out okay here in California but soon became a nightmare of epic proportions. And let’s face it: he’s screwed up big time.

But apparently this is Newsom’s MO: take a good thing and destroy it.

That’s the concern many of us have here in California: we are seeing it in real time....economic fallout, poor messaging, pitiful vaccine response, hypocrisy and smarmy overtones.

Many of us are wishing Newsom to go away and replace him with Jerry (Brown).

by Anonymousreply 165January 25, 2021 4:51 AM

R156 Lol “born in California” but obviously not living here. Sit down and stfu. You know nothing.

by Anonymousreply 166January 25, 2021 4:53 AM

Newsom has made some serious fuck ups in the last few weeks. We have one of the shittiest vaccine distributions in the country! He has even announced that people over 65 can get it at places where they simply didn’t have enough or ANY available causing people to be upset and confused. It’s messed up. He needs to do better.

by Anonymousreply 167January 25, 2021 4:55 AM

some of us are contributors and others are fucking users = DJT

by Anonymousreply 168January 25, 2021 5:07 AM

[quote]He has even announced that people over 65 can get it at places where they simply didn’t have enough or AN

Because TRUMP FUCKED UP AND LIED ABOUT HOW MUCH THEY WOULD DELIVER TO CALIFORNIA you dip shit. And CA is the only state where he did that. They said, they would guarantee X number of doses, and every state designed their plan around that, then when the next shipments were supposed to come, they said they said they were out. They didn't bother to plan ahead with their guarantee.

by Anonymousreply 169January 25, 2021 5:12 AM

[quote] EVERY one of the 64 (Dems) on the zoom call agreed (with the recall)

Who's is a bubble? If ALL your friends on the same zoom call agree, then either they are lying or you have filtered out all decent. Try stepping outside of your bubble like I do all the time dealing with the public and total strangers, not just birds of a feather.

by Anonymousreply 170January 25, 2021 5:15 AM

[quote] “born in California” but obviously not living here.

Hate to burst your bubble, but yes I still live here. Never leaving, California is a paradise. I have lived in Tahoe, SF, LA, LB, and Santa Barbara.

by Anonymousreply 171January 25, 2021 5:19 AM

[quote] Who's is a bubble? If ALL your friends on the same zoom call agree, then either they are lying or you have filtered out all decent.

Whaaaaat? Not making sense here, R170, in all your defensive attacks on posters who don’t agree with your perception that Newsom is doing a FABULOUS job as CA’s Gov.

Dems aren’t “lying” in their dissatisfaction with Newsom. I’m not and my neighbors certainly aren’t. Get a grip.

Either you are deep in denial or have intellectual challenges if you look at what is currently transpiring within California and think things are good.

There are some MAJOR issues that are occurring here now. And Newsom is taking heat for this : rightfully so.

Read this thread. And as others have encouraged you to do, READ THE ROOM.

by Anonymousreply 172January 25, 2021 6:33 AM

To me it's infuriating to learn of several friends and family members getting Covid when other states and other countries have already administered the second dose of the vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 173January 25, 2021 6:44 AM

[quote]READ THE ROOM.

This isn't a standup comedy show dip shit. Are you a failed actor? A wannabe comedian who took an improve class?

by Anonymousreply 174January 25, 2021 10:05 AM

I want to take an improve class but what is it we improve in?

by Anonymousreply 175January 25, 2021 10:30 AM

[quote] given that California has 40 million people where just under half of them are Trump voters,

Math isn't your strong suit, is it, R160?

Trump only got 1/3 of the vote in CA.

by Anonymousreply 176January 25, 2021 1:47 PM

You mean Arnold isn’t Governor anymore?

by Anonymousreply 177January 25, 2021 1:53 PM

Newsom is neither as horrifying or as perfect as many make him out to be.

As strong as he's been in other areas, he's not made a dent in housing issues, though. And while his initial response to COVID was strong, he lost the plot midway, and his team has not done well at all organizing and implementing the vaccine rollout.

Part of that is the fact that Trump, et al starved blue states of resources. But there's also a lot of competing constituencies in CA. Newsom is pandering to the richest ones, as always.

by Anonymousreply 178January 25, 2021 1:55 PM

r154 They mention hordes of people leaving. Let's confirm some fact first. 1)California holds a tenth of the country's population, so a lot of people are leaving, but it still not that much. 2) Those who leave get quickly replaced by others who are moving to California despite the rising costs. It's still a premier destination to live in and many people around the country are still moving in despite Republican slander of California. 3) Foreigners are still moving enmasse and purchasing property in California which is inflating rates and screwing things up for everyone.

Not sure how to deter or improve the homeless situation, but that is an issue growing all across the country. Like other people have pointed out they migrate or are bused by other cities/states to California because the weather allows them to be homeless comfortably on top of the progressive aid. Texas is starting to get homeless problems too and they are the opposite to California.

by Anonymousreply 179January 25, 2021 3:14 PM

R179 as is Colorado, which is actually warmer temperature wise than I originally guessed.

by Anonymousreply 180January 25, 2021 4:48 PM

R179 Those who can afford to leave, do, while those who can't, get poorer. Wealthy are totally happy to see middle and upper middle class people leave because they benefit from cheap labor and don't have to compete for resources with those earning above the national average. Of course, they won't say this out loud but instead cloak their nefarious motives with anti racism.

by Anonymousreply 181January 25, 2021 10:35 PM

Anti racism has really become the grift of the century.

by Anonymousreply 182January 25, 2021 10:38 PM

Exactly, R181.

by Anonymousreply 183January 25, 2021 11:54 PM

Newsom knows he is in big trouble and has decided to open up CA today. There is backlash. While we are trending towards better in LA, we still have 0% ICU capacity in SoCal and we are still experiencing our highest death rate. I think we can open soon, like in the next few weeks. It seems odd timing to end the lockdown before seeing it through, but the recall numbers are getting close. I will be printing and signing tomorrow. So much for his science based bullshit. This whole virus has been political and it just shows that nobody gives a shit about us. By us, I mean the country as well as CA.

by Anonymousreply 184January 26, 2021 12:22 AM

In CA. Have been told I may not get vaccinated until September.

I'm totally not making it until then. I know it.

by Anonymousreply 185January 26, 2021 12:48 AM

If only Gavin was like Gretchen. She refused to be bullied when dealing with COVID and is loved by the majority of Michigan besides Trumpsters.

by Anonymousreply 186January 26, 2021 1:31 AM

[quote]While we are trending towards better in LA, we still have 0% ICU capacity in SoCal and we are still experiencing our highest death rate. I think we can open soon, like in the next few weeks. It seems odd timing to end the lockdown before seeing it through, but the recall numbers are getting close. I will be printing and signing tomorrow

Agreed, R185. While we are close in SoCal, we’re still not there. Was confused as to why -all of a sudden- we are not following the science. But again, have noticed, things are not clear with Newsom. There is always obfuscation and confusion as to what is going on with him and his seeming arbitrary actions.

Also, good point, R186.

Gretchen has demonstrated far more integrity and courage than Gavin.

She or Jerry Brown would have handled CA much better.

I sadly have come to the conclusion that Gavin is sleazy in a variety of ways and did not deserve the vote I gave him.

by Anonymousreply 187January 26, 2021 1:49 AM

^^ Agreed R184 NOT R185

by Anonymousreply 188January 26, 2021 1:51 AM

Its about time to open up, especially certain businesses like outside dining, which should never have been closed to begin with! The nervous nellies are certainly welcome to stay home and hide under the bed!

by Anonymousreply 189January 26, 2021 2:31 AM

He is going to be just fine 🙂 This is some lame ass conspiracy by some Gavin haters. Bitches take a hike. CA loves Gavin.

by Anonymousreply 190January 26, 2021 2:52 AM

He is not going to be recalled. CA loves Gavin. This thread is by some frustrated Republican losers. Take a hike Bitches.

by Anonymousreply 191January 26, 2021 2:55 AM

[quote]Newsom knows he is in big trouble and has decided to open up CA today

No, he's not in trouble Dear, he sends his love.

If you must know, the reason he opened up CA today is because the Restaurant Association has been begging him to do so. You Repugs in sheep's clothing are never happy. Screaming at the top of your lungs open up the state, masks don't work, it's unconstitutional, he's a DICTATOR! WHAAA! Then when he finally dose "He's in big trouble, he is going to be recalled!"

Die in a grease fire you Repug two faced fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 192January 26, 2021 6:58 AM

R192, you’re adorable, but you don’t even believe that.

by Anonymousreply 193January 26, 2021 9:17 AM

Believe what R193, it's fact not opinion. Except for the die in a grease fire part, that's my opinion and I stand by it. Dont you have a Log Cabin meeting to go to?

by Anonymousreply 194January 26, 2021 12:22 PM

I just want Gavin to fuck me. He's already fucking the whole state, at least he could come ram his cock in my ass and gush a load inside of me to make it less metaphorical.

by Anonymousreply 195January 26, 2021 2:41 PM

[quote] Anti racism has really become the grift of the century.

Exactly. If racism ceased to exist right now, these people would have to get real jobs instead of constantly talking about the thing we don't want.

by Anonymousreply 196January 26, 2021 6:06 PM

Republicans are the ones dumping garbage in the streets so they can blame it on Gavin Newsom.

by Anonymousreply 197January 26, 2021 6:08 PM

Republicans cant be trusted to do the right thing, have any redeeming moral values or care about out country. It's not even a debate anymore. Instead they spend their days whining on FOX about being silenced while spamming the entire internet with millions of Trolls spreading more hate and lies pretending to be Democrats. Much like the ones on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 198January 27, 2021 5:13 AM

Democrats cant be trusted to do the right thing, have any redeeming moral values or care about out country. It's not even a debate anymore. Instead they spend their days whining on CNN about being silenced while spamming the entire internet with millions of Trolls spreading more hate and lies pretending to be Republicans. Much like the ones on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 199January 27, 2021 6:51 PM

Republicans are to blame for everything wrong with California simply by virtue of existing. The entire US was better off prior to 1854 when they didn't exist.

by Anonymousreply 200January 27, 2021 10:30 PM

I am the Trump trolls on this thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201January 28, 2021 9:45 AM

R201 Look for the media to amplify every threat, whether or not they are credible, in order to justify further crackdowns on peoples civil liberties. Look to see more reporting on ongoing investigations that are filled with speculation. This is what authoritarianism looks like.

by Anonymousreply 202January 28, 2021 4:22 PM

Well R202, what would you do if you had threats and just witnessed a hundreds of Deplorable trash store your place of work trying to kill you?

The security is justified. The only ones pissed off about it are people such as yourself who don't want the country to be reminded how evil Trumpian Deplorables, Republican Insurrectionist and White Supremacists can really be.

by Anonymousreply 203January 29, 2021 8:04 AM

R202 is right.

by Anonymousreply 204January 29, 2021 12:48 PM

[quote] Well [R202], what would you do if you had threats and just witnessed a hundreds of Deplorable trash store your place of work trying to kill you?

You mean like BLM and Antifa actually did last summer?

by Anonymousreply 205January 30, 2021 7:23 PM

I don't recall BLM storming the Capital and attempting to hang the VP, shot the Speaker of the House and take down the entire US Democracy in a Chewbacca Bikini.

by Anonymousreply 206January 31, 2021 6:40 AM

That’s because they didn’t have any 4k TVs to loot.

by Anonymousreply 207January 31, 2021 2:01 PM

Burning down Best Buy is not the same as burning down Democracy.

by Anonymousreply 208January 31, 2021 8:30 PM

Slate has a good article about why so many Californians are unhappy with Newsom's leadership during the pandemic. It goes far beyond just the bad optics of the French Laundry dinner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209February 1, 2021 4:54 PM

The French Laundry dinner was just the top of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 210February 1, 2021 6:21 PM

Miss placed anger. All these people blaming him for the lock down should look to Trump and his debacle of how to deal with a pandemic. A fish rots from the head down. Trump was the heat of the fish. Newsom saved CA from what could have been a lot worse.

Let's be honest, Repugs are very, very, very envious of California. They bash it every chance they get. The are jealous of it's economy, the innovation, the high property values, innovative business and it's ability to balance it budge. All under the umbrella of progressive linear ideology. It highlights their failure or Republican talking points of what it takes to be successful.

So of course they are going to bash Newsom and have gone as far as encouraging people who don't even live in the state try and stir up descent. Fortunately for CA, we are leaders in social change not followers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211February 2, 2021 3:49 AM

^^Misplaced^^

by Anonymousreply 212February 2, 2021 3:49 AM

Approval rating now down to 46%.

[quote] Forty-six percent of registered voters said they approved of Newsom’s performance as governor, while 48% said they disapprove, with 31% of those saying they disapprove strongly, according to the poll by the University of California at Berkeley’s Institute of Governmental Studies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213February 3, 2021 12:23 AM

Every sunbelt Governor, City Mayor, and the like, face problems regarding homelessness. It's not fucking rocket science, it's a fact, and all very predictable. Who wants to be homeless in any area of the country that is freezing cold. Compounding this mess is the patient and homeless dumping that goes on and California is left with a problem that continues to grow with no relief, much less end, in sight.

The same problems exist in Hawaii where I live half the year. For years, the lower 48 were sending planeloads of sick and homeless, holding 1-way tickets, every day. We are also a preferred destination for displaced Micronesians that require much more than the Fed Gov is willing to dole out. The support systems cave under the pressure for lack of personnel, money and resources. These are just some of the ongoing problems sunbelt states face., especially the ones that have a history of actually attempting to HELP these people (You know, the BLUE states, where most people actually care and don't think of the sick, poor and homeless as cockroaches).

It's clear that Gov Newsome is going to rue the day he was caught at The French Laundry for the rest of his life. Politically, it has fucked his electability possibly forever. Add to that his connection to the biggest tramp ever aside from Melania, the raging unrelenting Covid issues thanks to mishandling by Trump, along with the Federal Government was run by Republican deplorables, and you are left with the perfect storm for a recall to occur. Had there been a Democratic President in office you can bet we would not be in as deep of a shit hole.

I don't want to see a repeat of the recall that put Schwarzenegger in office. California went downhill under his tenure. It will not be easy to clean up the mess ignored and leftover from the Trump-McConnell regime but we must try. Recalling Newsome is not the answer.

It is disturbing to hear news that his wife and children are being targeted by right-wing domestic terrorist groups for torture and murder. These sick fucks need to be found and dealt with before they succeed.

by Anonymousreply 214February 3, 2021 1:15 AM

Glad to see you "care" so much, R214, as you fly off to your second home in Hawaii where you "live half the year." Insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 215February 3, 2021 11:56 AM

R214 is mostly correct. We dont want another Arnold "Im going to run CAL_E_Forn_YA like a business bull shit. All his business background did was run it into the grown with record debt. It took Jerry Brown a Democrat to clean it up and bring us out of the red. I disagree with R214 that Newsom is over. People in America have a short attention span, by summer when everyone starts getting out and the economy starts booming again (which it's projected to do by economic experts) they will be thanking him. He's just a target of hate right now from all the morons, mostly Republicans bitching and whining about having to wear a mask or not being able to go to their favorite restaurant. First world problems.

Worse case scenario, it would be another Democrat to replace him. People still pissed off at Arnold and his tacky affair with the maid and illegitimate child, embarrassment to the sate. He only got that job because he refused to say where he stood on the issues until after he was elected, plus he was a household name Celeb. There are no other Republicans that I can see who are the darlings of California and could appeal to the majority of Democrats who outnumber the Republicans almost 2 to 1. In fact, we could end up with someone even more progressive. Remember the run offs, Biden didn't win the sate, Bernie did.

by Anonymousreply 216February 3, 2021 12:30 PM

R215 BooHoo you whiny crybaby

by Anonymousreply 217February 3, 2021 2:59 PM

R215, I had the same reaction to R214's post. Insufferable is right!

by Anonymousreply 218February 3, 2021 8:34 PM

I was making a point.

Sun belt states, especially the ones that are run by Democrat Governors, Mayors, Senators, etc. have like issues. They have become target dumping grounds for homeless. California and Hawaii have more in the way of public services to provide to people in need, and the bonus is that neither are known for sub-zero temps every winter. California is not unique to this, K? I hope Newsome is not recalled. I hope he weathers this one. He has tarnished his image though and yes, I agree that people have short memories about things like this, but we do have the Internet and news sources here to remind us endlessly. Kind of like how Hillary's emails will never ever go away.

FWIW, there are a lot of people in Honolulu that bitch and moan over every Dem Mayor/Gov year in, year out, making basically the same complaints as with those that hate Newsome. Same shit, just different locations. CA & HI are the two most similar Dem run states, but believe it, we have lots of deplorables here too. Democrats are (supposedly) the party of social justice - Republicans are pretty much regarded as the party of the rich, old white guys and hate, especially for the homeless, immigrants, the elderly and people of color. The only thing that separates the two is the fact that as an island state 2500 miles from the mainland USA, Hawaii is much more capable of controlling COVID numbers, and has done a better job than California.

I won't apologize for how or where I live so if it makes you feel better by attempting to shame me, by all means be my guest.

by Anonymousreply 219February 3, 2021 9:33 PM

I hope he is recalled and that an interesting democrat decides to run. We need to start showing politicians that you can't get away with this just because we are a liberal state. Being progressive doesn't mean you can let the state burn down, shut down, and overrun by homeless. Maybe we should require more from democrats that having a pulse and not being X.

by Anonymousreply 220February 4, 2021 2:31 AM

The state has not burnt down R220. It's perfectly fine. Stop clutching your pearls and go back inside.

by Anonymousreply 221February 4, 2021 5:33 AM

The backers of the recall have raised 2 1/2 million so far, enough to canvass for signatures. I hope they succeed.

by Anonymousreply 222February 4, 2021 5:53 AM

It was on fire pretty much all summer, R221. The Bay area and Napa has been continually having town destroying fires. It's not pearl clutching,

by Anonymousreply 223February 4, 2021 5:57 AM

Yeah, lest blame disasters on the Governor because he's a Democrat. He let those Jewish lasers from space strike California.

R223 = Tin Foil Hat

by Anonymousreply 224February 4, 2021 6:17 AM

[quote]The backers of the recall have raised 2 1/2 million so far

Drop in the bucket in a state with over 40 million people. California is not 100% liberal Democrats like Fox News wants you to believe, there are a lot of Deplorables, they would vote for a recall no matter how good of a job he was doing.

He's not going to be recalled, Trump is not the President. Get the fuck over it loser.

by Anonymousreply 225February 4, 2021 6:26 AM

R225 = Newsom.

by Anonymousreply 226February 4, 2021 1:09 PM

Actually, native born and resident of California. Sorry to burst your Repug bubble trying to spread false outrage about our governor. We know your game, not the first time outsiders cant stand how successful our state is. Must really get your panties in a wad that Liberal Democrats are better at fiscal responsibility, innovation and capitalism than Repugs. California's economy is 2.747 trillion dollars. That makes it the 5th largest economy in the world even surpassing the UK.

Thank Gov Newsom.!!!❤❤❤

by Anonymousreply 227February 5, 2021 3:05 AM

The 5th largest economy should be able to feed and house its homeless and enforce anti-littering laws.

by Anonymousreply 228February 5, 2021 5:59 AM

There's homeless in every 1st world country dipshit. And by the way, our littering laws are 1,000 just for throwing something out of a moving car.

by Anonymousreply 229February 5, 2021 7:30 AM

Tell that to that right-wing propaganda machine called NBC "News," R229. How dare they denigrate the world's 5th largest economy by calling urban nomads "homeless." The entire concept is inherently reactionary to begin with. The myth that you need food, clothes, and shelter to live is just another Horatio Alger Ronald Eisenhower Reagan pick-yourself-up-by-your-bootstraps-sonny GOP deplorable Trumpster myth, which like everything the GOP has ever said since its very inception of 1854, from the denigration of all-black farming communes as "slave plantations" to the absolute smears of FDR that he committed human rights atrocities against allies of Adolf Hitler, is a lie.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230February 5, 2021 2:39 PM

[quote] Anti racism has really become the grift of the century.

That's because the R-word is just another racial slur, especially when directed at people of color and the things they create.

by Anonymousreply 231February 5, 2021 2:57 PM

Updated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 232February 11, 2021 6:29 PM

Who's going to run against him? Emmanuel Lewis?

by Anonymousreply 233February 11, 2021 6:56 PM

Probably Kimberly Gargoyle knowing the Trump family.

by Anonymousreply 234February 11, 2021 11:39 PM

Well, they did it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235February 13, 2021 10:31 AM

The thing about recalls if they work you always end up with some loon Republican. Last time this happened we ended up with Arnold Swaggerer. That guy knew NOTHING about being in office or public service. His wife being a Kennedy, for the first time ever, switched sides to back him as a part of the family. And what did he do? Cheated on his with with some ugly house made, illegitimate child and as a Government he got nothing done, in fact even with his so called "business background" he pushed the states budget deficit way into the red. Jerry Brown, a Democrat had to come back and clean up his mess.

by Anonymousreply 236February 13, 2021 10:44 AM

The recall effort is bullshit. Yes, I know, it's going to be on the ballot, it's still not going to happen. 1.5 million out of 40 million is hardly a dent in the population. It's mostly a smear campaign coming mostly from outside the state. Bitter jealous Trumpeters and Deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 237February 13, 2021 10:47 AM

Not surprisingly, the handful of possible replacements that want his job are ALL Republicans. Gee, I wonder where this effort to recall him came from?

by Anonymousreply 238February 13, 2021 10:50 AM

Oh ye of little faith... I warned you all this would come to be.

by Anonymousreply 239February 13, 2021 8:42 PM

I'm glad for the recall. Newsom will probably stay but between this recall to keep his job and the election the following year to get re-elected, he's going to have to try harder, which is a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 240February 13, 2021 11:43 PM

He was just too restriction happy and now has to suffer the consequences.

by Anonymousreply 241February 14, 2021 12:17 AM

[quote]He was just too restriction happy and now has to suffer the consequences.

Translation = Deplorable who wont wear a mask

by Anonymousreply 242February 14, 2021 1:11 AM

They're also going to have to recall a bunch of state senators and congresspeople, too.

by Anonymousreply 243February 14, 2021 4:53 PM

Now Cuomo is getting heat.

by Anonymousreply 244February 14, 2021 5:23 PM

They're trying to thin out the herd, so it's only Kamala left standing. They want her to run in 2024.

by Anonymousreply 245February 14, 2021 9:29 PM

[quote] CA & HI are the two most similar Dem run states, but believe it, we have lots of deplorables here too. Democrats are (supposedly) the party of social justice - Republicans are pretty much regarded as the party of the rich, old white guys and hate, especially for the homeless, immigrants, the elderly and people of color.

There is a growing populism within the Republican party that is wiping out this more traditional view of them being the party of rich old white men. Sometimes characterized as "Trumpism", the populist right hold the elites from both parties in similar contempt. The media establishment has been trying to portray this growing populism as radicalism rooted in identity politics for fear that the Bernie Bros and Trumpers will join together.

It's not because of the weather that we have a growing homelessness problem. It's income inequality, the same thing that gave rise to populism. It's the same reason Trump attracted more minorities than any other Republican candidate. It's because they vote according to class and not their race as they are expected to.

This whole thing about California being the 5th largest economy is yet another distraction. It's an economy that excludes its own citizens and gets rich off serving the interests of other countries. It's also falsely propped up by Hollywood and Silicon Valley. And sky high property values is nothing to brag about. It's causing untold numbers of people to flee the state.

by Anonymousreply 246February 14, 2021 9:48 PM

R246 = Log Cabin Republican who could never get anything done for gays.

by Anonymousreply 247February 14, 2021 9:50 PM

[quote]There is a growing populism within the Republican party that is wiping out this more traditional view of them being the party of rich old white men. Sometimes characterized as "Trumpism", the populist right hold the elites from both parties in similar contempt.

Complete Bull Shit. Trumpism is the violent racist, terrorist mostly white male mob that stormed the Capital killing and attacking the very same group of law and order they say they support.

by Anonymousreply 248February 14, 2021 9:54 PM

[quote] Trump attracted more minorities than any other Republican candidate.

Complete Bullshit. The vast majority of minorities do not vote Republican for a reason, they do not support their causes. Talking points are not facts.

Your facts are FALSE.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249February 14, 2021 9:58 PM

[quote] They want her (Kamala) to run in 2024.

I hope that's a joke.

And by the way, R246 is 100% right.

by Anonymousreply 250February 14, 2021 10:01 PM

[quote] Trumpism is the violent racist, terrorist mostly white male mob that stormed the Capital killing and attacking the very same group of law and order they say they support.

You've been trained well. Here's a cookie.

by Anonymousreply 251February 14, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote]California being the 5th largest economy is yet another distraction. It's also falsely propped up by Hollywood and Silicon Valley. And sky high property values is nothing to brag about. It's causing untold numbers of people to flee the state.

Falsely propped up? It's part of the California and US economy. It a fact, sorry you cant accept facts. That's like saying Texas false propped up by it's oil production. It is what it is.

NEWSFLASH: Sky high property values are a good thing for those who live there and a sign of high desirability. Sorry Boris, that's how capitalism works over here. The nice the location the more expensive it is to live there, the more you property is worth.

by Anonymousreply 252February 14, 2021 10:04 PM

[quote]You've been trained well. Here's a cookie.

How much Vodka have you had Today Boris?

I can tell you are a Russian Troll by your false and ill prepared poorly thought out rant about American society. People over here don't talk like that.

by Anonymousreply 253February 14, 2021 10:08 PM

R252 Doesn't the left like to talk about generational wealth? What about upward mobility? Can the average single person with a college education afford to buy a home in California? Start a family? Should 80% of a person's income go to paying off their mortgage? It's unsustainable.

by Anonymousreply 254February 14, 2021 10:08 PM

[quote]Can the average single person with a college education afford to buy a home in California?

Yes they can Boris. California is not one giant city called Hollywood. It's actually a very small part of Los Angeles. California has vast expanses of open land with great weather and thousands of communities and suburbs. There are plenty of affordable places to live outside of Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 255February 14, 2021 10:17 PM

[quote] Should 80% of a person's income go to paying off their mortgage? It's unsustainable.

No one pays that, you are delusional. I live in California, I know what things cost. The average pay scale in CA is among the highest in the nation. So while housing costs might be a little higher the income is higher as well. A professional job in CA will pay a lot more than the same job in Florida.

by Anonymousreply 256February 14, 2021 10:22 PM

R256 LA Housing prices are ridiculous. Those people who can afford it either inherited their wealth or belong to a very exclusive club. Jobs that used to support an entire family decades ago no longer cut it.

R255 It's not just Hollywood. There are lots of open land but they are falling into degradation. They are not thriving communities as you are trying to claim.

by Anonymousreply 257February 15, 2021 3:16 PM

You dont have to live in LA R257. You have poor reading comprehension. I said there are thousands of cities, towns and communities in California that are affordable. Your claim that there are none is pure projection. The world is not black and white you uptight Troll.

by Anonymousreply 258February 16, 2021 10:46 AM

Everyone is leaving California and moving to Texas.

Breaking news, California is 1 foot deep in sunshine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259February 17, 2021 4:25 AM

Seems to have gone.

by Anonymousreply 260March 11, 2021 3:05 AM

gavin not goin anywhere, he done awesome job and has tons of support.....fuk them right wingers.

by Anonymousreply 261March 11, 2021 6:57 AM

Florida is for dumb ass white trash !

by Anonymousreply 262March 11, 2021 6:58 AM

Why u think trumpers wanna block voting rights?????? cause minoritys vote dem bb....

by Anonymousreply 263March 11, 2021 6:59 AM

It might not be voted on, but Gavin's recall is happening. All his moves are political. The signatures are due next week and indoor dining is starting in LA this Friday based on new metrics. Greasy "science-driven" Gavin.

by Anonymousreply 264March 11, 2021 7:05 AM

He is less corrupt by far than any governors in the past 50 yrs....

and hot!

by Anonymousreply 265March 11, 2021 11:09 AM

[quote] All his moves are political.

Well all governors are politicians so point make no sense. At least he did make B movies with a stupid chimpanzee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 266March 11, 2021 11:16 AM

^^At least he didn't"

by Anonymousreply 267March 11, 2021 11:16 AM

The same group of dirty unethical Republican Trolls have been trying to recall him 6 times in a row. They just finally made the minimum quota to get it on a ballot. But make no mistake, he's not going to be recalled. California has a population of 40 million. They only got about 1.5 to sign a petition to recall. The other 38.5 million want him to stay. Losers and haters from other states can trash him here and on social media all they want but they cant vote him out if they don't live in California. Their fake outrage is about as believable as Trump winning a second term.

by Anonymousreply 268March 11, 2021 11:22 AM

[quote] cause minoritys

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 269March 11, 2021 11:40 AM

R247 = Stonewall "Democ[bold]rat[/bold]" who did nothing to stop the T from colonizing gay culture.

by Anonymousreply 270March 11, 2021 2:01 PM

[quote] They're trying to thin out the herd, so it's only Kamala left standing. They want her to run in 2024.

Good. It's time for str8 white gentile males to give up the reins of power everywhere. If they do not give it up voluntarily, then it will be taken by force.

by Anonymousreply 271March 11, 2021 2:03 PM

[quote] This whole thing about California being the 5th largest economy is yet another distraction. It's an economy that excludes its own citizens and gets rich off serving the interests of other countries. It's also falsely propped up by Hollywood and Silicon Valley. And sky high property values is nothing to brag about. It's causing untold numbers of people to flee the state.

Yeah, it's an oligarch talking point designed to distract you from all the homeless people, the garbage in the streets, the crumbling infrastructure, and the overpriced gas and real estate.

[quote]No one pays that, you are delusional. I live in California, I know what things cost. The average pay scale in CA is among the highest in the nation. So while housing costs might be a little higher the income is higher as well. A professional job in CA will pay a lot more than the same job in Florida.

Spoken like a true one percenter: I've got mine, tax everyone else and pull the ladder of success up when I reach the top so y'all can stay at the bottom where you belong.

by Anonymousreply 272March 11, 2021 2:06 PM

A nurse in SF with experience can make close to $180K. Plus California has strict nurse:patient ratios that benefit them across the board.

I don’t think that’s a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 273March 11, 2021 2:43 PM

It is a bad thing when it is going to pay for overinflated rent, overinflated transportation costs, overinflated food costs, overinflated taxes, and overinflated everything else. And that "fifth largest economy" is largely the same crappy chain restaurants and stores as other states. Restaurants like the fast food ones of which this theoretical nurse is having to treat the health consequences. How many of this nurse's patients are diabetics about to lose a leg from one Big Mac too many?

by Anonymousreply 274March 11, 2021 2:52 PM

We are in a class war with China who exploit our patents and technology. This has led to cheaper production and labor costs. Technology is even more easily exploited. A free market requires fair exchange. You have a greater demand for cheaper products overseas that undercuts American domestic production while also enriching those at the top. Are American citizens really the beneficiaries of all this wealth?

by Anonymousreply 275March 11, 2021 4:17 PM

Illegal immigration is a problem that was partly created by the need to compete with overseas slave labor.

by Anonymousreply 276March 11, 2021 4:18 PM

I'm glad the recall is happening. No, I don't believe Newsom will be voted out, but he must do better. Have a D next to your name doesn't give you a free pass to let things go to shit. Crime is way up in LA, even in the good neighborhoods as evidenced by the shooting in BH. He will do better not to get recalled and he will do better when he runs for another term in 2022. 2 years straight Newsom will need to up his game.

by Anonymousreply 277March 12, 2021 5:29 AM

Should I build a bunker? It's time for bunker troll to start pushing that. What happened to the civil war that would burn down the US? Where are you civil war bunker troll? Where is all that right wing propaganda you used for fear porn?

by Anonymousreply 278March 12, 2021 5:38 AM

"The average pay scale in CA is among the highest in the nation.

[quote]Spoken like a true one percenter: I've got mine, tax everyone else and pull the ladder of success up when I reach the top

Wrong, I said AVERAGE pay scale as in middle class. You have reading comprehension issues coupled with projection problems.

by Anonymousreply 279March 12, 2021 1:41 PM

[quote]It is a bad thing when it is going to pay for overinflated rent, overinflated transportation costs, overinflated food costs, overinflated taxes, and overinflated everything else.

Market rate for thing in one sate is going to be different based on demand. That dose not make them "overinflated" just because you live in flyoverstan or Florida and could never afford such things on you low wage job. And since the AVERAGE pay scale is higher it's almost of a wash. No matter where you go on the planet, the more desirable it is to live there the cost of living will always be higher. Hawaii is not going to be as cheap as living in Iowa.

by Anonymousreply 280March 12, 2021 1:50 PM

[quote][R247] = Stonewall "Democrat" who did nothing to stop the T from colonizing gay culture.

At least they started the gay rights movement. Log Cabin Repugs were nowhere to be seen. In fact it took almost 8 more years to pass before they formed their first meeting. And to this day, I dont know what Log Cabinidots have actually accomplished.

by Anonymousreply 281March 12, 2021 1:53 PM

Ts did not start the movement. Are you seriously going to argue that on DL where many eldergays have posted historical proof and documentation lol. Get lost TRA

by Anonymousreply 282March 12, 2021 3:07 PM

You have reading issues R282. I did not claim trans started the gay movement, I stated that Democrats who were gay started it, not Republican gays. You threw in the T word.

by Anonymousreply 283March 14, 2021 10:46 PM

Log Cabin are sellouts. They put up no fight against the T. None whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 284March 17, 2021 4:54 PM

Governor Newsom is a good man and great governor. He is doing a great job. I actually agree with Public Health measures. He did that to try to save American lives. What is wrong with you people?

WE have to keep Gov. Newsom. I do not want a Qanon Psycho, nor do you. Support Gov. Newsom.

by Anonymousreply 285March 18, 2021 3:27 AM

Trans people are responsible for every civil rights movement in history.

Moses freed the Israelites while wearing a dress. Jesus wore one, too, and had long hair and wore makeup.

John of Arc, with the Lord to guide him, he was a brother who really cooked!

Slaves escaped to freedom on the Underground Railroad thanks to a man named Harry Tubman.

It was a woman named Nurse Martina Lutherine Queen who fought for Black civil rights.

And just as Black trans women of color were responsible for every LGBTQUITADDINGNEWLETTERSGODDAMMIT civil rights victory since Stonewall, which was 100% a result of Black trans women of color, it was feminists who proved that all women are TERFs, even trans women, and that there are no non-men.

by Anonymousreply 286March 18, 2021 4:49 AM

Pay on attention to the Trolls on this thread R289. Deplorables have been trolling to take down Newsom for years. This is their sixth attempt a a recall. They got it on the ballot, big deal, not going to be recalled with 40 million people in California and only 1.5 of them were willing enough to sign a recall. A lot if not most of the Newsom haters are from out of state. You know, the same ones that say everyone from California is moving to Texas.

by Anonymousreply 287March 18, 2021 4:56 AM

The only trolls here are the ones in denial about the grotesque mismanagement of everything on every level. They need to do some serious house cleaning in Sacramento.

by Anonymousreply 288March 18, 2021 5:03 AM

You mean the same people who brought the state into the black after the last Republican governor Swarts put us in the red? Yes, if there is any clean to be done, then the rest of the Trumpian haters need to go so we can have an even smoother running state like the Biden Administration has right now.

by Anonymousreply 289March 18, 2021 5:08 AM

The only thing running smoothly is shit down the assholes of the homeless onto the Tenderloin.

by Anonymousreply 290March 18, 2021 5:12 AM

Diane Feinstein needs to resign now, so we get a Democratic replacement before some freak Republican grabs the governorship.

by Anonymousreply 291March 18, 2021 5:14 AM

You just want her out because she's Jewish.

by Anonymousreply 292March 18, 2021 5:14 AM

California has the 5th largest economy in the world, you can nit pick around the edges all you want, but jealousy will get you nowhere. At the end of the day, it's doing great compared to all the other states.

by Anonymousreply 293March 18, 2021 5:15 AM

That "fifth largest economy" talking point is an oligarchic myth. Most of those businesses are the same shitty chain restaurants and equally shitty chain stores as the rest of the country.

by Anonymousreply 294March 18, 2021 5:17 AM

Diane Feinstein is not governor. She's a Senator. But I do agree, when she went over and hugged McTurtle that was it for me. It's time to step down, we need some new more progressive blood in the game. She was progressive for her time but by today's standards she's been voting quite conservative.

by Anonymousreply 295March 18, 2021 5:19 AM

I guess the New Yorker is right-wing propaganda. This was written before Trump became President.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296March 18, 2021 5:19 AM

[quote]That "fifth largest economy" talking point is an oligarchic myth.

A little too close to home for you Boris? Maybe take that up with Putin.

by Anonymousreply 297March 18, 2021 5:20 AM

New Yorkers and people from the east cast in general have ALWAYS predicted the end of California, so not a surprise R296. Usually it's something stupid like a great earthquake will make the whole state slide off into the ocean. LOL.

Meanwhile, they fail to predict their own doom like 9/11.

by Anonymousreply 298March 18, 2021 5:22 AM

That article R296 is from 2013! OMG California did in fact prove that article to be wrong. Thanks for proving my point.

by Anonymousreply 299March 18, 2021 5:24 AM

[quote]Diane Feinstein is not governor. She's a Senator.

Well, duh. Let me clarify for you R295. If a Republican becomes governor and Feinstein later resigns or is incapacitated/dies in office, then the Republican governor will appoint a Republican replacement.

by Anonymousreply 300March 18, 2021 5:26 AM

R297, how's the smog in Beijing, Ling-Ling. We all know the Chinese invented the Russia hoax to incite a war with them. The jig is up.

by Anonymousreply 301March 18, 2021 5:26 AM

How about a more current reality check.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302March 18, 2021 5:26 AM

[quote] That article [R296] is from 2013! OMG California did in fact prove that article to be wrong.

It did no such thing. The problems have gotten worse. Mickey isn't the only mouse making an impact in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303March 18, 2021 5:27 AM

From the same publication, R302.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304March 18, 2021 5:28 AM

Well duh R300. But no one is really predicting a sudden swing to the right in California voters. Plus there really is no one worth his salt running against Newsom except the same old tired Repug from San Diego that lost big time.

by Anonymousreply 305March 18, 2021 5:29 AM

Denial is complicity at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306March 18, 2021 5:29 AM

Troll, worry about your own problems.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307March 18, 2021 5:34 AM

I took the time to fill out the form and mail it in to recall Gavin. I do not believe or even necessarily care if he is recalled, but I wanted him on the hot seat. He is in too much of a bubble from every day Californians. With that said, CA always comes back. People will hate on LA because it's where everyone wants to be. This is best state in the US by far and we deserve a the best governor. Gavin Newsom needs this on his record to cockblock any chance at a presidency. A Newsom presidency would run the country into the ground.

by Anonymousreply 308March 18, 2021 5:42 AM

Well said, R308.

by Anonymousreply 309March 18, 2021 1:08 PM

Newsom was just too restriction happy in the beginning, but now that he is feeling the heat, he is singing a different tune.!

by Anonymousreply 310March 18, 2021 2:47 PM

R296 is paywalled. Can anyone summarize the main points?

by Anonymousreply 311March 18, 2021 4:38 PM

R307: Nice try, warmonger:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312March 19, 2021 1:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!