Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would you drink white wine on your colonoscopy fast day?

It’s not red coloring

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 11:50 AM

Although alcohol is a clear liquid, it can make you dehydrated. You should NOT drink alcohol while preparing for your test.

by Anonymousreply 1December 13, 2020 3:34 PM

Are you drinking a special preparation to clean out your bowels OP? Because if so - I certainly wouldn't drink wine with that.

You'll shit all your internal organs out. No joke.

by Anonymousreply 2December 13, 2020 3:36 PM

The alcohol may interfere with the proper dosage of anesthesia needed.

by Anonymousreply 3December 13, 2020 3:37 PM

You may want to schedule a lobotomy as well.

by Anonymousreply 4December 13, 2020 3:38 PM

OP will never wake up from the anesthesia anyway R4.

by Anonymousreply 5December 13, 2020 3:44 PM

You idiot motherfucker, you're going to get anesthesia and you're drinking ALCOHOL? Some people are just too stupid to live.

by Anonymousreply 6December 13, 2020 3:46 PM

I drank the night before. My MD doesn't require the harsh dehydrating prep that most do. I just fasted for two and a half days, and the prep the day before was Miralax and Gatorade and a few Dulcolax tabs. I also drank gallons of tea, chicken broth and water.

by Anonymousreply 7December 13, 2020 3:46 PM

Calm down, r6! People like me need the booze to tolerate a world with people like you.

Fine. No booze.

I hate this place.

by Anonymousreply 8December 13, 2020 3:55 PM

I had a colonoscopy without anesthesia because I hate IV's just that much.

It wasn't bad. (I had heard about a doctor who did that because he wanted to immediately go back to work, so I was thrilled to use him as my reason - gotta drive home, doc!)

by Anonymousreply 9December 13, 2020 3:57 PM

I concur with R3.

by Anonymousreply 10December 13, 2020 3:59 PM

r8 it can kill you if you're going under. Can't you not drink for one day?

by Anonymousreply 11December 13, 2020 3:59 PM

One thing I look forward to with a colonoscopy - the Propofol. Having had the procedure for years with Demerol, Propofol is divine!

by Anonymousreply 12December 13, 2020 4:05 PM

ONE drink will not interfere with anything.

by Anonymousreply 13December 13, 2020 4:06 PM

And we hate you R8.

Please drink at least a bottle of white wine.

by Anonymousreply 14December 13, 2020 4:07 PM

R14, my Christmas wish is that your ass blossoms into a bouquet of anal cancers, HPV, warts and other maladies which you obviously deserve.

by Anonymousreply 15December 13, 2020 4:31 PM

I just can't with alcoholics. Selfish, lying assholes.

by Anonymousreply 16December 13, 2020 5:00 PM

R12. I had Propofol for my Endoscopy Monday. They knocked me out at 2:30. At 3 I was riding out of the parking lot.

by Anonymousreply 17December 13, 2020 5:26 PM

Rather than going through DT's --yes OP- drink!

by Anonymousreply 18December 13, 2020 5:44 PM

[quote] My MD doesn't require the harsh dehydrating prep that most do. I just fasted for two and a half days, and the prep the day before was Miralax and Gatorade and a few Dulcolax tabs. I also drank gallons of tea, chicken broth and water.

I've never heard of having to fast for 2.5 days.

by Anonymousreply 19December 13, 2020 7:59 PM

If they put you under, they don't want anything in your stomach because you might aspirate (vomit the fluid into your lungs) during the procedure.

by Anonymousreply 20December 14, 2020 12:43 AM

DUH, R20

by Anonymousreply 21December 14, 2020 12:52 AM

OMG, Propofol is amazing. It was the best part about having colon cancer. I got to go under with Propofol multiple times. I had three colonoscopies in the space of a year and the colon resectioning. I totally understand why Michael Jackson died for this stuff.

by Anonymousreply 22December 14, 2020 12:57 AM

Propofol is also used for resetting bone breaks, minor back surgery that requires anesthetic...it's a miracle for quick recovery. I imagine some hospitals/MDs are not fond of it because of the longer stays they make so much money from off pre-Covid.

by Anonymousreply 23December 14, 2020 1:06 AM

[quote] I totally understand why Michael Jackson died for this stuff.

I had the same thought after I experienced Propofol. If you have trouble sleeping (anxiety & other drugs keeping you up), Propofol would put you out like a light.

by Anonymousreply 24December 14, 2020 1:24 AM

Is chicken broth synonymous with clear broth?

by Anonymousreply 25February 22, 2021 9:37 PM

OP isn't this something you could've asked your gastroenterologist? Like, doctor, may I drink 2 glasses of wine say at 11 AM the day of prep? That way out of your system by colonoscopy time? Also, I have had many colonoscopies (so although I am a top...I kind of disqualify) and I did 2 without anesthesia when I was in Eastern Europe and it really was ok. One at UCLA I did with just partial (not put to sleep) anesthesia.

by Anonymousreply 26February 22, 2021 9:44 PM

[quote]Is chicken broth synonymous with clear broth?

Yes.

by Anonymousreply 27February 22, 2021 10:15 PM

Stick to the pills for the day, dear. Pick up the booze for your ride home from the colonoscopy.

by Anonymousreply 28February 22, 2021 10:58 PM

Thanks, R27.

by Anonymousreply 29February 22, 2021 11:30 PM

Propofol is a miracle drug!

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2021 2:27 AM

I am a RN, and had my first colonoscopy last week. The new guidelines suggest that we should have them at 45. There are some doctors that will allow patients to have ONE glass of white wine the afternoon before the colonoscopy. I had a glass the day before mine (1pm the day before). It actually helped a lot with the hunger. That one glass of wine was far out of my system by the next day, when I had anesthesia. Most countries actually don’t use sedation for colonoscopies at all (which I will consider next time).

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2021 2:43 AM

Not true, but fun exaggeration.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2021 2:50 AM

I didn't use sedation because I have an IV needle phobia. It was fine - only hurt a little bit when they got towards the end of the procedure and were very high up. For me, the IV insertion would have been much much worse. I could also drive myself home.

I didn't know if was possible but I overheard a nurse saying that an MD wanted to go straight back to work and asked to have his colonoscopy without any sedation, so I'm forever grateful to him.

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2021 4:47 AM

I would drink lilac wine...sweet and heady.

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2021 4:50 AM

i'm a definite alcoholic. i would not drink before the colonoscopy. you want your meds to work and they most likely won't work as well with even a glass in your system. that's my view.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2021 5:11 AM

Propofol is much better than wine. I love the feeling of counting backwards 99, 98, a perfect sleep, and then being awakened by soft voices. I imagine it’s what heaven feels like: beautiful oblivion. I’d be afraid to drink any alcoholic beverage beforehand.

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2021 5:59 AM

Just mix it with colon blow and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2021 11:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!