Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Def Leppard Disgusts Me

To this very day I am both shocked and saddened by their countenance as well as their music. I’ll never forget when I was a helpless child strapped down in the back of my parents car and they were blasting this trash anthem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139February 17, 2021 8:27 PM

Blasphemy OP. This song is legend.

by Anonymousreply 1December 11, 2020 3:59 AM

Phil Collen improved with age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2December 11, 2020 4:01 AM

Phil Collins doesn't look like himself there R2

by Anonymousreply 3December 11, 2020 4:03 AM

Your parents are trash.

by Anonymousreply 4December 11, 2020 4:05 AM

I worked at a car wash in my youth. There was a five day stretch when I must listened to Pyromania about thirty six times. I was impressed that the singer referred to danger as an emotion.

Maybe you should give them a second look?

by Anonymousreply 5December 11, 2020 4:07 AM

“Armageddon It” is a fave of mine. But that whole album is pretty rockin’.

by Anonymousreply 6December 11, 2020 4:09 AM

Of course music snobs don’t like Def Leppard, and I really hate music snobs. Movie snobs I can sort of understand (I used to be one myself) but music snobs I can’t relate to at all.

R5 it’s one of the great 80s albums, for sure.

by Anonymousreply 7December 11, 2020 4:11 AM

Recently, on Joshua Gondelman's podcast, his guests (I forget their names) talked about a Def Leppard musical. The guitars would be shredding, the hair big, the harmonies tight. With baked ziti.

by Anonymousreply 8December 11, 2020 4:46 AM

R3 - it was before his last wife, y'know the trashy one in Florida. It was all down hill for him after that.

But Seriously, take this at Face Value, Both Sides were in the wrong, even though they're still living Separate Lives.

by Anonymousreply 9December 11, 2020 4:53 AM

Everybody knows heavy metal sucks just as badly as gangsta rap/hip-hop. But at least the Leppards never murdered a hundred people in Rhode Island.

by Anonymousreply 10December 11, 2020 5:24 AM

I will always liked Animal.

Joe Elliott said that when he was taking a break from singing onstage during a drum solo, he’d go below the stage and there’d be a mother and daughter waiting to blow him. He didn’t seem too proud of that.

by Anonymousreply 11December 11, 2020 5:32 AM

I loved that song, OP. How old are you if your parents blasted this song?

by Anonymousreply 12December 11, 2020 5:46 AM

Well, maybe with a visit to the Mayo Clinic and about 10 years with one of the nation’s top therapists you can get the fuck over it.

by Anonymousreply 13December 11, 2020 6:01 AM

Is heavy metal a thing among gays? I would not have thought so but here we are. Saw them in Coney island billed with Bryan Adams.

by Anonymousreply 14December 11, 2020 4:42 PM

I grew up to appreciate some heavy metal. Def Leppard were just so garish. I love this band:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15December 12, 2020 4:01 PM

They seemed to never recover after the drummer lost his arm.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16December 12, 2020 4:06 PM

Steve Clark's death from alcohol poisoning didn't help things. He along with Phil Collins were the "Terror Twins" on lead and rhythm guitars interchangeably.

by Anonymousreply 17December 12, 2020 4:16 PM

Def Leppard are Taylor Swift's mother's favourite band.

by Anonymousreply 18December 12, 2020 4:16 PM

Pour Some Sugar On Me >>> She's My Cherry Pie

by Anonymousreply 19December 12, 2020 4:19 PM

I liked Def Leppard much more than the majority of their contemporaries. I couldn't stand Poison, Motley Crue, Twisted Sister, Warrant, etc. But Def Leppard were cool.

by Anonymousreply 20December 12, 2020 4:21 PM

R16 After Rick Allen lost his arm, Def Leppard went on to release Hysteria, their best-selling album - I think they did okay. Steve Clark’s death was the unrecoverable loss.

by Anonymousreply 21December 12, 2020 4:24 PM

My fb/bf at the time of “pour some sugar on me” had a near duplicate of the short haired guy’s chest and chest hair pattern.

I didn’t bother to look up the short haired guy’s name

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22December 12, 2020 4:27 PM

THE DEF LEPPARD STOR, aTV movie, is on YouTube, or was.

by Anonymousreply 23December 12, 2020 4:47 PM

These idiots pissed off an entire town when Elliott called the townspeople a bunch of “greasy Mexicans”. People still loathe them for that.

Eh, they have some good songs.

by Anonymousreply 24December 12, 2020 4:47 PM

What town?

The movie starts iff with the car crash. Kid was driving an American Corvette iin the English countryside.

by Anonymousreply 25December 12, 2020 4:49 PM

Mutt Lange the production whiz made Def Leppard happen.

by Anonymousreply 26December 12, 2020 4:49 PM

[quote]Def Leppard are Taylor Swift's mother's favourite band.

Just for you:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27December 12, 2020 5:47 PM

Love Def Leopard.

by Anonymousreply 28December 12, 2020 5:50 PM

I love Def but they are hard rock, not heavy metal.

by Anonymousreply 29December 12, 2020 5:53 PM

I love a ton of different genres and 80s hard rock is one of em. Have seen DL at least a half dozen times. Would be more if they changed up their setlists a bit more to my liking. They have a very deep catalog and a lot more interesting songs than the big dumb hits everyone knows.

by Anonymousreply 30December 12, 2020 5:56 PM

One time my mom and I were driving back home from a holiday trip to see relatives. We’re tired and trying to stay awake and this song comes on the radio...

My mom belts at the top of her lungs - POUR YOUR SICKNESS ON ME!!!

She went silent and we both sat there in shock at where the hell that came from. We blamed my brother and his love of late 90s heavy metal. The song has never been the same.

by Anonymousreply 31December 12, 2020 6:09 PM

I like them and I am not white trash...it is probably generational. I hate rap but didn't grow up in the era of rap.

by Anonymousreply 32December 12, 2020 6:16 PM

Steve’s death:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 12, 2020 6:38 PM

Yikes, r27. Taylor's voice is so thin. Probably part of her appeal to her then-fanbase: a butter-wouldn't-melt teen Barbie wrote pretty good songs but the fact that she sounded bad singing them made her relatable.

When Love & Hate Collide should have been exactly her speed but she's outsung.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 12, 2020 6:46 PM

Garbage music for white trash. Thank god for Kurt Cobain, who ended that shit genre of music overnight.

by Anonymousreply 35December 12, 2020 8:54 PM

"Disgusts" "shocked and saddened" "helpless child strapped down" "blasting this trash"

SOMEONE GRAB THE SMELLING SALTS FOR THIS HISTRIONIC MARY! HER SENSIBILITIES WERE POSITIVELY RAVAGED BY SATANIC ROCK MUSIC DECADES AGO AND SHE IS STILL SUFFERING!

by Anonymousreply 36December 12, 2020 9:26 PM

Cobain didn't end anything except his own life. Grunge was just the next bandwagon in a long line of "we're selling this to the kids now!" Quickly replaced by boy bands and teen pop.

by Anonymousreply 37December 12, 2020 10:42 PM

Got woken up by this every saturday morning at 7 am when my dad would blast it on the stereo.

It was a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 38December 12, 2020 11:29 PM

R35 and started an even shittier genre.

by Anonymousreply 39December 12, 2020 11:57 PM

R31 guess you could say your mama let out a....primal screaaaaaaaaam (maaaaahn).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40December 26, 2020 11:00 AM

R23 that TV movie was called HYSTERIA!, and was produced and aired in 2001 by music channel VH1.

Def Leppard have denounced it various times in media since it came out, calling it offensively inaccurate, sensationalised, trashy, and cheesy. Personally, I think the film shows very clearly and honestly how haphazard and shambolic the band were, how much Mutt had to do with their commercial success, and how lucky they got, but I'm just a civilian who wasn't there so what do I know?

Karl Geary, the guy who plays Steve Clark in the movie is gorgeous, but sadly I don't think he acts or does work in the public eye anymore. Esteban Powell, he guy who plays Phil Collen is a very good Australian actor who doesn't get enough work; he's best remembered for playing the blond friend of Mitch in DAZED AND CONFUSED (the kid who gets paddled by Ben Affleck). The two actors have a sweet chemistry. But, Anthony-Michael Hall really steals the movie as Mutt Lange.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 26, 2020 11:13 AM

[quote] But, Anthony-Michael Hall really steals the movie as Mutt Lange.

That was out of left-field. Now I have to watch it.

by Anonymousreply 42December 26, 2020 11:19 AM

I'm 67 years old and I've always loved that song. It's got a very sexy sound.

I used the think Joe Elliott was hot as blazes. Sadly time has taken its toll on his looks. But then, he'd look a thousand times better if he'd cut that nasty hair.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43December 26, 2020 11:29 AM

And Phil Collen should be beaten for shaving off his beautiful chest hair. But I agree, his body is still top tier.

by Anonymousreply 44December 26, 2020 11:32 AM

Much of the appeal of Leppard was the way they were sexualised and marketed to females.

At that point in time, straight women were crying out for shirtless long-haired guys gyrating and crooning euphemistically about dirty and intense but still somewhat tender sex. It's a whole thing, I don't even know. They got most of it out of their system by 1989.

by Anonymousreply 45December 26, 2020 11:41 AM

Inherent loathsomeness of Hair Metal Bands: 10

by Anonymousreply 46December 26, 2020 11:49 AM

R11 mother/daughter blow job tag teams are the absolute trashiest.

by Anonymousreply 47December 26, 2020 12:01 PM

R47 I find it morbidly fascinating.

Wonder if Bebe ever roped poor Liv in to something so gross?

by Anonymousreply 48December 26, 2020 2:03 PM

A Polish witch once tried to curse the band lmao.

Their music sucks and is overproduced basic chart-fodder, but it was a way out of a Northern mining town I guess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49December 26, 2020 2:05 PM

[quote] Blasphemy OP. This song is legend.

For me, between the radio and MTV and jukeboxes that song wore out its welcome very quickly. I got soooo fucking sick of it.

by Anonymousreply 50December 26, 2020 3:13 PM

What has 9 arms and sucks?

Def Leppard

by Anonymousreply 51December 26, 2020 5:29 PM

[quote]To this very day I am both shocked and saddened by their countenance as well as their music.

Pussy

by Anonymousreply 52December 26, 2020 5:48 PM

[quote] I used the think Joe Elliott was hot as blazes. Sadly time has taken its toll on his looks. But then, he'd look a thousand times better if he'd cut that nasty hair.

Too many mother / daughter blow jobs.

He does look terrible there, R43 (with a cross hanging around his neck).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53December 26, 2020 5:56 PM

Hysteria was my favorite song. I guess you would call it a power ballad. I had "The Vault" (greatest hits) CD. Listened to it a lot.

Judged on its own terms, it was music I enjoyed. I can still listen to Hysteria.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54December 26, 2020 6:01 PM

[quote] These idiots pissed off an entire town when Elliott called the townspeople a bunch of “greasy Mexicans”. People still loathe them for that.

That's hilarious. Now the president does it and everyone cheers him on

by Anonymousreply 55December 26, 2020 6:09 PM

They actually did a cover of Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and it's GOOD

I like it better than the original

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56December 26, 2020 6:13 PM

The band survived the loss of the drummer's arm. And to a lesser extent, they survived Steve Clark's death by replacing him with a well-known guitarist. What really did the band under is when their manager/songwriter Mutt Lange hooked up with Shania Twain and started giving his best material to her to record.

by Anonymousreply 57December 26, 2020 6:16 PM

[quote] What really did the band under is when their manager/songwriter Mutt Lange hooked up with Shania Twain and started giving his best material to her to record.

I don't think Lange was giving Twain anything that Def Leppard could have recorded ("Man, I Feel Like a Woman"?).

by Anonymousreply 58December 26, 2020 6:19 PM

Being a gold star gay, I’m not sure exactly how it works, but I’m pretty sure “Pour Some Sugar on Me” is some kind of sexual metaphor. Disgusting indeed.

by Anonymousreply 59December 26, 2020 8:01 PM

Women were crazy about them. Some songs were OK, but I was never a particular fan. I didn't see the as physically hot.

by Anonymousreply 60December 26, 2020 8:15 PM

^them, not the

by Anonymousreply 61December 26, 2020 8:16 PM

Without a doubt, their band name is in the Top 100 Worst Ever of the Rock & Metal Eighties Scene.

Cf. (yes, these are/were all real bands who had records pressed, some of whom had music videos in rotation on legit TV): Megadeth, Motley Crue (amusingly, pronounced technically according to spelling as ‘Muttley Crugh’), Enuff Z'Nuff, Cinderella, Helloween, Gwar, Kix, Girlschool, Foreigner, Europe, Bang Tango, Whitesnake, Scorpions, Ratt, W.A.S.P, Britny Fox, Bad English, Damn Yankees, Great White, Shark Island, Prong, The Dogs D’Amour, Extreme, The Quireboys (one for DL), Vicious Rumors (another for DL), Spread Eagle (and another), Chastain (!!!), Dirty Looks (…you get the idea), Forced Entry, Dangerous Toys, Mr. Big, Lord Tracy, Giant, Gorky Park, Laaz Rockit, Beau Nasty, Love/Hate, Autograph, The Big F, Killer Dwarfs, Fiona, Steve Stevens, The Front, Scatterbrain, Cats In Boots, Raging Slab, Princess Pang, Roxx Gang, Sleeze Beez, Salty Dog, Shok Paris, Gothic Slam, Slave Raider, Holy Soldier, Sea Hags, Cro-Mags, Loudness, Bad News, Flotsam & Jetsam, Only Child, Leatherwolf, Sam Kinison, Living Colour, D-A-D, House Of Lords, Slammin’ Watusis, Jailhouse, Overkill, Sick Of It All, Little Caesar, Chiliwack, Childsplay, and my personal favourite and probably yours--Fudge Tunnel.

Also in this rogues’ gallery, some successors of the aforementioned: Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, Monster Magnet (no shade, I love them), White Zombie, Stone Temple Pilots, Temple Of The Dog, The Smashing Pumpkins, Queens of the Stone Age, Evanescence, The Goo Goo Dolls (who were originally to be called Sex Maggots…), Nickelback, Weezer, Feeder, Trapt, Reel Big Fish, Good Charlotte, Jimmy Eat World, Bloodhound Gang, Limp Bizkit, Insane Clown Posse, Korn, Alien Ant Farm, Puddle Of Mudd, Papa Roach, Audioslave, Foo Fighters, The Offspring, Staind, Drowning Pool, Saliva, Moist, Mushroomhead, Hoobastank, Less Than Jake, Relient K, Cradle Of Filth, Archers Of Loaf, Bowling For Soup, Alexisonfire, Tokio Hotel, Refused, Taking Back Sunday, Parkway Drive, Billy Talent, Motion City Soundtrack, Streetlight Manifesto, Forever The Sickest Kids, youmeatsix, My Chemical Romance, The Dillinger Escape Plan, Falling In Reverse, Alkaline Trio, The Aquabats!, 3OH!3, The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, and Five Finger Death Punch.

To name but a few.

by Anonymousreply 62December 27, 2020 10:08 PM

On a more obscure cult level, since then there’s been such illustrious names as Harvey Milk (I’m dead serious), We Butter The Bread With Butter, Hot Water Music, Boy Hits Car, Dance Gavin Dance, Big D & The Kids’ Table, No Use For A Name, The Bouncing Souls, Citizen, Bear vs. Shark, At The Drive In, Thursday, Greeley Estates, The Casualties, Family Force 5, A Lot Like Birds, Tiger! Shit! Tiger! Tiger!, Pipes You See Pipes You Don’t, The Maine, Dem Atlas, OFF!, Elder Brother, Fishbone, Knucklepuck, Gwen Stacy, Sight Unscene, Despised Icon, Arsonists Get All The Girls, The Doped Up Dollies, Chunk! No, Captain Chunk!, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Waterparks, Neck Deep, Man Overboard, xDeathstarx, pageninetynine, wristmeetsrazor (so glad we stopped stylizing names this way), SeeYouSpaceCowboy (and also this way), MyChildren MyBride (sigh), Go Betty Go, Botch, Strawberry Girls, Eyes Set To Kill, The Flatliners, Makeout, Secret Band, Snapcase, Texas In July, I Killed The Prom Queen, Shreddy Kruger, Dogs Die In Hot Cars, Something Corporate, Stacked Like Pancakes, Vanna, Trash Boat, Transit, Hands Like Houses, The Airborne Toxic Event (bet they’ve disbanded now, or at least changed the name), Plague Vendor (likewise), Majority Rule (…), Diarrhea Planet, Genitorturers, The Jonbenet (one for Mrs. Patsy Ramsey, and her DL fans), Cursive (another for DL), Cherry Poppin’ Daddies (and another), Cut Chemist (!), Boys’ Night Out (!!), The Devil Wears Prada (!!!), The Menzingers (!!!!!), The Tony Danza Tap-dance Extravaganza (!!!!!!), Norma Jean (!!!!!!!!!!!), Vaginal Defecation (um), and of course Anal Cunt (a surprisingly a fairly successful cult band, unlike their cousins Anal Vomit, Lake Of Anal Mucus, and Hot Buttered Anal).

Only punk bands, performance artists, and popstars since 2015 bear significantly worse and sillier stage-names than trendy rockers.

Def Leppard still sucks, though. They helped pass on this gene of shitty names.

by Anonymousreply 63December 27, 2020 10:10 PM

^^^some of those bands are good. What is the make and model of the ax you are trying to grind?

by Anonymousreply 64December 28, 2020 2:26 AM

You must be pushing 50 and look 29. Just.... like.... me.

by Anonymousreply 65December 28, 2020 2:32 AM

Also, it Timote Cattlemate’s birffday. He looks like the offspring of David Coverdale.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66December 28, 2020 2:34 AM

Leppard have a reputation as sellouts with limited range and fairly low-INT, but you have to give them props that they make catchy music people liked.

They also have a good social reputation, being very cordial, generous and friendly to other acts (especially younger groups) unlike others we could name....

[quote] In 2017, STEEL PANTHER drummer Stix Zadinia told Music Life Magazine: "Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx did not like it when we went on tour with them in 2011....I think they thought we were actually making fun of them directly. And I just gotta chalk that up to their egos being too big, because nothing that we do has anything to do with them directly,." He added that it was a European tour and that DEF LEPPARD was actually the top-billed band on the jaunt. In 2018, the lead guitarist for STEEL PANTHER, known as Satchel, told Meltdown of the WRIF radio station., "there are bands that hate our guts. We did a tour with DEF LEPPARD and MÖTLEY CRÜE. And DEF LEPPARD, they got us on the tour, and it was an arena tour in the U.K. [because] they love us — they were so nice and so cool. MÖTLEY CRÜE hated us. They talked to us once the whole tour. And Tommy Lee and I, we just got into it — we butted heads. I extended the olive branch. I wanted to be friends with them. I think some people feel threatened. I think maybe Tommy Lee feels like we're poking fun at him personally. But we're just having fun… I'm a fan of MÖTLEY CRÜE. I think that Tommy Lee and Nikki Sixx can act like total dickheads much of the time, but that's also what comes with being a rock star sometimes. The guys want to act like dickheads and they do — and that's cool." Asked if everything is "cool" between the two bands now, Satchel said: "Like, if I saw them, I probably wouldn't go hang out with them 'cause Nikki Sixx seems like he doesn't like my band so I probably wouldn't buy him a beer. But I don't have anything against MÖTLEY CRÜE and I wish them the best in the future. But it seems like we annoy Nikki Sixx — and I'm fine with being annoying to Nikki Sixx 'cause I don't really give a fuck. And someday maybe MÖTLEY CRÜE will be our friends, but I think Tommy Lee would love it if one of us got hit by a bus."

(Context of the above, for anyone curious):

[quote] STEEL PANTHER singer Michael Starr was asked in a 2019 interview which musician from the past he would like to bring back. Starr replied, "I'd bring back Vince Neil," and drummer Zadinia chimed in, "He's not dead." Starr pressed on, saying: "I'd bring back Vince Neil from back in the day because that guy is dead." After news of STEEL PANTHER's comments about Vince made the rounds, MÖTLEY CRÜE bassist and main songwriter Nikki Sixx tweeted: "The singer in Steal Panther [sic] can go fuck himself … wanna-be band putting down Vince Neil?" One fan then pointed out that STEEL PANTHER sometimes plays MÖTLEY CRÜE songs during its concerts, to which the CRÜE bassist replied, "That's why they are assholes. Backstabbers." Back in June 2015, Starr revealed in an interview that Lee "was pretty upset over the fact we poked fun at Vince Neil online. He didn't like it. He just thinks we're just a joke, like a stupid joke band that shouldn't be playing with them. But all their fans like us." Starr added that members of MÖTLEY CRÜE simply "take themselves a little too serious," - except for vocalist Vince Neil, who according to Starr "totally loves it." Starr said, "[Vince] told me, 'Hey, Michael, when we retire, you can have all our fans!"

by Anonymousreply 67December 28, 2020 12:12 PM

r43, Joe Elliott looks like he's raided the wig store in Barbara Streisand's mall.

by Anonymousreply 68December 28, 2020 1:06 PM

R64 my point is that all those bands have ridiculous names and brands, and listing them all compounds the trope of the genre for choosing a silly moniker. I wasn't passing judgement on any of their music, much of which I myself enjoy. By the by, would you like a hand removing the stick from your arse?

by Anonymousreply 69December 28, 2020 1:41 PM

R63 Harvey Milk are an amazing band

by Anonymousreply 70December 28, 2020 2:02 PM

[quote] I’ll never forget when I was a helpless child strapped down in the back of my parents car and they were blasting this trash anthem.

This never happened.

by Anonymousreply 71December 28, 2020 2:06 PM

They were a creation of Mutt Lang - you literally can hear the similarities in chords and phrases between DL and Shania Twain songs.

by Anonymousreply 72December 28, 2020 2:10 PM

Mutt helped them hone their sound, but didn't invent it. They had a full album before Mutt came along and helped on a couple songs for album #2. It was #3 and #4 when Mutt was most involved with the band. While Hysteria and some other singles have definitely been overplayed, they have many great deep cuts in their catalog. "Paper Sun" and "Desert Song" are at the top of my favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73December 28, 2020 7:07 PM

Oh my fucking God, I forgot that the Leppard/Poison/Crue 2020 tour was postponed rather than cancelled.

Does the world in 2021 really need this? By now it's been over 40 years that Leppard have been a touring band. And last I heard weren't Crue retiring forever, signing contracts over it? Are Poison even still a working group? All this needed was geriatric Aerosmith, aneamic Bon Jovi, and old fat sellout GN'R to be a complete nostalgia-cruise level shitshow (actually, that would be kind of cool--Vince is getting jacked to be tour-ready now, so maybe he can pay Axl back all that disrespect from the Strip days).

Now I'm irritated about this all over again.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74December 29, 2020 4:09 PM

^^no shade to Joan Jett though (she is also on this tour). I simp for her and she deserves a way better gig.

by Anonymousreply 75December 29, 2020 4:11 PM

^^no shade to Joan Jett though (she is also on this tour). I simp for her and she deserves a way better gig.

by Anonymousreply 76December 29, 2020 4:11 PM

R74 Don't put Aerosmith together with those shitty 80s hairspray spandex bands

by Anonymousreply 77December 29, 2020 4:14 PM

R77 all Aerosmith did was ape the most basic bluesy country-rock, then add sleazier faux-hemian lyrics, and perform it in semi-drag while high as balls. GN'R used the same template. Oh, and they found time to rape some underage girls in-between gigs. It was the world's simplest gimmick, and it wasn't breaking any ground.

by Anonymousreply 78December 29, 2020 4:47 PM

R78 70s Aerosmith sounds nothing like those 80s hairspray bands like Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison etc.

by Anonymousreply 79December 29, 2020 5:03 PM

Here's a Mutt produced song for his then wife Shania Twain.

Featuring DL semi-fave Billy Currington. I have to admit he has swagger in this video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80December 29, 2020 5:21 PM

Too bad 80s Aerosmith sucked corporate cock and put on tighter spandex than all those "horrible" 80s bands!

by Anonymousreply 81December 29, 2020 5:29 PM

R81 That's not true. If you think that 80s Aerosmith are worse than Bon Jovi or Poison, you need to clear your ears

by Anonymousreply 82December 29, 2020 5:39 PM

*clean

by Anonymousreply 83December 29, 2020 5:39 PM

80s Aerosmith used the Dianne Warren and Desmond Child songs Bon Jovi and Heart passed on.

by Anonymousreply 84December 29, 2020 5:42 PM

I enjoy Def Leppard. I have ADRENALIZE, PYROMANIA and HYSTERIA. Creative and talented rockers.

by Anonymousreply 85December 29, 2020 5:46 PM

Actually, Def Leppard's 'Hysteria' is a classic pop album with multiple jams that still hold up, and Joe Elliott has talked frequently about being inspired by music the band would hear in Holland after recording each day and hanging out in a local gay bar...

From Rolling Stone: "We’d go out at night down to this classic gay bar, a disco. We’d burst in and go, “OK, it’s a gay bar. Doesn’t matter.” They’d be playing that “State of Shock” song by Mick Jagger and Michael Jackson [credited to the Jacksons]. It had a rock format to it – it sounded like a rock song with Mick Jagger obviously giving it a bit of rock and Michael Jackson doing his best to be a rocker. It may not have had guitars on it, but neither did Aerosmith’s Armageddon song but it still sounded like a rock song.

So we were hearing this and thinking, “It’s not clearing the dance floor. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a song that was obviously a guitar song but didn’t clear the dance floor?” They were also playing all this stuff that was rock-ish stuff like the Police or “Radar Love” by Golden Earring and it’s like, “There’s a party killer right there.” Everyone would by a drink. So we wanted to do our version of “State of Shock,” and that became “Excitable.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 29, 2020 5:50 PM

r73 - oh I liked DL before Lang came along - High N Dry was a great album, Bringing on the Heartbreak was written by the band. Great song - It's just when Lang came along - the phrasing, the chords - you can hear it all in Twains music post Lang.

by Anonymousreply 87December 29, 2020 5:50 PM

R74- Pamela Anderson made sex tapes with both Bret Michaels and Tommy Lee. How the F is this tour gonna work?

by Anonymousreply 88December 29, 2020 6:48 PM

[quote]when Lang came along - the phrasing, the chords - you can hear it all in Twains music post Lang

For sure. You can also hear it on Bryan Adams' Waking Up the Neighbours, which is fantastic if you like the Mutt sound. It's a perfect middle spot between the Leps and Shania.

by Anonymousreply 89December 30, 2020 12:31 AM

R89 absolutely. The work Mutt did with Bryan Adams was the pinnacle of his signature sound.

by Anonymousreply 90December 30, 2020 10:00 AM

Guns N Roses isn't hair metal. They're heavy metal and hard rock, like Metallica, but more glam.

by Anonymousreply 91December 30, 2020 1:09 PM

R88 haha I don’t think Pammy is invited to the shows or that she’ll buy a ticket. Plus by now it’s all sewage under the bridge, as it’s been like a hundred years and neither guy got to keep her.

Broke a generation’s heart when it turned out Pam & Tommy weren’t the beautiful tender forever lovestory we wanted them to be. C. the late 90s, every single American tv show, magazine, and radio station would talk about them daily. They were white trash royalty we really believed would make it.

Imo one of their sons (I think the gay one?) looks suspiciously like Nikki. I’m just saying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92December 30, 2020 2:10 PM

R91 Looks pretty hairspray-y to me. They might be a bit more raw and punkier than Poison and similar bands but they were still a Sunset Strip glam band

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93December 30, 2020 2:46 PM

"hair metal" is a term that means nothing other than appearance, and was created to mock the 80s bands. Everyone from GN'R to Poison to 80s Aerosmith to Twisted Sister are thrown under that grouping now but they were all just "hard rock" to us in the 80s, with Metallica and Priest etc falling under "heavy metal". It was pretty common in my circles to have your Slayer tapes (fuck them, now) right next to Slaughter, and your Dio tapes right next to Dokken. People just like to call every band they think was cheesy "hair metal" and conveniently leave out the ones they like, so GN'R is mostly never called hair metal because people aren't ashamed to like them. GN'R and Faster Pussycat came out of the exact same scene.

by Anonymousreply 94December 30, 2020 2:58 PM

[quote] GN'R is mostly never called hair metal because people aren't ashamed to like them.

Perhaps they should be. GN'R were more cynically manufactured than punk. The original members were cakeboys for Geffen easily plucked off the street for their desperation, and their musical abilities (excepting Axl's mad vocals) were grossly overstated and not terribly unique. They were essentially an amateur boyband with a rocker gimmick made up of boring junky whores, yet somehow they have this weird cachet as the world's most cutting-edge band. Despicable pathetic forerunners Crue were more dangerous, and at least they didn't ever pretend like they weren't glam and weren't sell-outs. GN'R spent more time denying they had ever worn makeup like 'fags' and hadn't ever toured just for the money than they did rehearsing.

by Anonymousreply 95December 30, 2020 7:02 PM

Pour some sugar is rock gold.

by Anonymousreply 96December 30, 2020 7:36 PM

[quote]The original members were cakeboys for Geffen easily plucked off the street for their desperation...

Gurl what? GN'R had been around for years before joining Geffen. They morphed from various bands into Guns N Roses (w/ LA Guns' Tracii Guns providing guitars and half the band name) and ruled the strip before they got label attention.

by Anonymousreply 97December 30, 2020 7:46 PM

Yes, I know all that R97, thank you. I happen to be a big fan of L.A. Guns. It’s a dream of mine to shake Phil & Tracii by the hand and tell them I love their records.

The fact remains that GN’R would not have been half as successful without Geffen backing, and the reason they got that backing was not their musical prowess. There were unquestionably better players and songwriters on the Strip at the time. It is also factual that GN’R were among the most homophobic and misogynistic bands to come out of Sunset at the time (they probably picked that up in part from Crue).

by Anonymousreply 98December 31, 2020 12:07 PM

Chilliwack was pretty good:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99December 31, 2020 10:41 PM

R99 indeed. Very underrated group.

Many of the Canadian 80s/90s rockers were criminally overlooked, like the superlative Harem Scarem.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100January 1, 2021 9:58 AM

[quote] NIKKI SIXX: It's not a good look to hobble off into the sunset.

Oh, nothing, I just like constantly reminding Nikki and the rest of the world that he said this, on camera. Lying jerkoff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101January 1, 2021 4:18 PM

Nikki Sixx is a complete asshole.

by Anonymousreply 102January 1, 2021 9:06 PM

I LOVE Harem Scarem. Their second album is in my top 10 - maybe 5 - of all time.Also really liked Coney Hatch, April Wine and Prism if we're talking about Canuck rock.

by Anonymousreply 103January 4, 2021 1:16 PM

r41 thanks a lot for the link to the movie. Seems very well made, great snappy dialogue

by Anonymousreply 104January 4, 2021 1:53 PM

R103 Harem had so many killer songs. MOOD SWINGS is my shit.

They came on my radar in the most Canadian way possible—via the TV movie of DEGRASSI in the 90s🙈🙈their song ‘Don’t Give Your Heart Away’ played over a romantic montage between Joey Jeremiah & Tessa ‘Fucking’ Campanelli.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105January 4, 2021 1:59 PM

Mood Swings is a perfect album. I love every album of theirs up to Weight of the World. They got a bit samey after that one, but still a class act.

by Anonymousreply 106January 4, 2021 2:11 PM

Pour Some Sugar on Me is the outro from The Archie’s Sugar Sugar some 15 years earlier.

Actually I think they sang Pour Your Sugar on Me but you get the idea.

The two tunes deserve to be played back to back.

by Anonymousreply 107January 4, 2021 3:04 PM

R102 yes, Gods, he really, really is.

The entirety of original MC are assholes, too, of course, but Nikki has much less of an excuse to be i.e., his kid didn't die of cancer, he didn't manslaughter anyone, he doesn't have a terminal disease, he hasn't been in prison, he isn't primarily lauded for a sex-tape and for having remarkably low-INT, and according to the man himself he's not even an addict anymore.

Just rewatched Crue's VH1 reality docudrama 'Resurrection' over again recently (I'm a hating heaux and a masochist in a depressive spiral, don't ask), and the sheer degree of smug poseur emanating off Sixx is hard to even look at or listen to. Lee is a petulant selfish manbaby, Neil is a whiny divo dinosaur, and Mars is just a tragic sack of bones that can somehow talk. But Sixx? He is a whole next level of gross, slimy, smirking, fake, two-faced corporate stooge. There is nothing likeable or authentic about the man, which is why it's so strange and so infuriating that his gimmick is 'real rockstar'. Ugh. It's easy to see why he is the love of Kat Von D's life.

Also, he has gayvoice and nelly mannerisms forever. That must be what the demented juggalo getup is vainly trying to hide.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108January 5, 2021 10:36 AM

Nikki was the only likeable member of MC. He wrote most of their material. Dated Lita Ford. I think he had the right to be smug about a few things. Never got too into the Crue beyond a few songs. Truly the type of band that you only need a Best Of compilation. Though their first album was pretty killer and Shout at the Devil had a few hot spots, their career is as bloated as Vince is now.

by Anonymousreply 109January 5, 2021 1:12 PM

I love Lita. Out For Blood is better than anything Joan Jett has done, there I said it!

by Anonymousreply 110January 5, 2021 5:53 PM

Agree with R109 in most counts, except

[quote] Nikki was the only likeable member of MC. He wrote most of their material.

That’s a negative.

Nikki wrote most of their early stuff, sure...with a lot of ‘help’ from his former band London, Blackie Lawless, and later Mick Mars. I have a personal theory that a few early-mid period Crüe tunes were pinched from other contemporary bands on the strip, but don’t quote me on it.

Nikki did develop a very simplistic but commercially-viable style of his own songwriting later on, but much like learning his instrument it took him a decade or more to figure it out. By nature and aptitude he’s actually much better suited to music production, studio editing and management—his musicianship is hooky and passably musical, at best.

As for his personality—well, birds of a feather. Nikki is just masterful at masking and polishing the despicable parts of his life and self, which is what makes him more heinous and scary. At least with Wince & Dummy what you see is exactly what you get.

My favorite thing about Crüe is their transparent ‘theater of the mind’ drama bullshit. At least that is entertaining, in a messy way. Vince has the most fantastic and memeable facial expressions when it comes to Nikki’s shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111January 6, 2021 11:04 AM

I'd give my right arm to be the drummer!

Oh wait...

by Anonymousreply 112January 6, 2021 11:26 AM

They are pop rock not hard rock or even close to metal.

by Anonymousreply 113January 6, 2021 11:29 AM

[quote]Nikki wrote most of their early stuff, sure

I only rate the first two Crue albums so to me the band got worse when the other members began to chime in. The one good song from the latter albums, "Kickstart My Heart", only credits Nikki so I'll stick with my opinion (though I do like their record with Corabi, but I credit that to Corabi and Sixx more than the other two). I'm sure he copped plenty from other Strip bands -- they all did. It was an incestuous scene.

by Anonymousreply 114January 6, 2021 1:09 PM

R114 if you’re a fan then you’re a fan, that’s all fine and well, and your prerogative. I respect that. Glad you enjoy the man and his work; it makes sense he’s have a lot of supporters given his level of success and his network.

The reality is that Sixx just didn’t contribute to Crüe as prolifically or as consistently as he claims or his fans believe; but, again, if people want to uphold the contrary as truth, what can anyone do? He got his credits, and then went on to form bands of his own that were quite obviously his own work, so at least he gave back to the industry and did something with the kudos merited or otherwise.

You’re correct that the Sunset strip scene was awash with people & songs of sketchy origin, and that the other members of Crüe (well, the two younger) were no strangers to plagiarism or to outright cover-banding (Vince is, at root and heart, a backyard coverband singer). Lee’s solo work tends to trendy nothingness, while Vince’s is dated and overproduced noise. I have never heard Mars solo, but I’m sure he’s in the pocket.

IMO Sixx gets points for being creative with his image, his tall tales, and outside ventures like books and radio, more than songs. He is very good at *being* a famous veteran rocker.

by Anonymousreply 115January 6, 2021 5:30 PM

Shouldn’t all these olds be sheltering, anyway? Where is the sense in sixty and seventy-year old worn-out bodies putting on concert tours, staffed by hundreds and attended by thousands in close proximity?

by Anonymousreply 116January 7, 2021 2:40 PM

r115, I'm certainly not a Nikki fan per se. Just liked Crue best when he was the main/sole credited writer.

r116, shouldn't you?

by Anonymousreply 117January 7, 2021 2:51 PM

OP the old glamrock vocalist of L.A. Guns Phil Lewis agrees with you.

[quote] I don't like Arena rock Poision and Bret's muscle dance is an embaresment, Deff L going through the motions and mailing it in every night is pathetic, Motley crue with exploding drum sets and migets bore me to death. Most off all I don't like the knuckle heads that go to these 'Concerts' the fans don't give a fuck about the music they wanna get drunk and hear the hits and the bands don't care they just want the outrageous easy money there used to getting and get the hell outa dodge ASAP, When was the last time any of those bands did a free after show meet and greet???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118January 9, 2021 8:35 PM

Weren't they one of the "satanic panic" bands?

by Anonymousreply 119January 9, 2021 8:38 PM

LOL which version LA Guns is Phil with these days? They were a 3rd rate band at best in that scene. He wishes he could "mail it in" in stadiums and arenas. Best he can do is a rock cruise.

by Anonymousreply 120January 9, 2021 8:43 PM

Phil certainly isn’t an English teacher.

by Anonymousreply 121January 9, 2021 8:46 PM

R120 Phil is back with Tracii and has been for several years. They're fine, they send their love.

They have put two entire albums of fresh material out in the last five years (unlike all those aforementioned arena bands), and have toured their new records in full clubs & theaters--not a bad gig for a semi-retired splintered group now over thirty years old that only has two original members left. Big arena tours don't suit all performing artists, nor do they necessarily denote successful or good acts.

L.A. Guns have another album due later this year, following the well-received release of a couple of singles last summer. Their recent song 'Let Me Down' has impeccable vibes, very Gothic. This twilit, serrated, slightly-tortured sound of theirs sets the band apart from all those other Sunset Strip acts, so I don't know why people still talk about them like they were a second-rate Poison or Crue. To begin with L.A. Guns were never really a glittery cock-rock hair-band with anthems or stadium/strip-club rockers at all, rather more of a speedy dive-bar biker band with a moody slightly-stonerish sound--the perfect blend of heavy metal, psychrock, and sleaze.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122January 9, 2021 9:12 PM

I 🤎 r122.

by Anonymousreply 123January 9, 2021 10:05 PM

[quote] Big arena tours don't suit all performing artists

It suit them fine in their heyday. Too bad they had to downgrade back to the clubs.

by Anonymousreply 124January 9, 2021 10:12 PM

R124 we're fighting, but please know you're an admirable hating bitch who'll go to war over dessicated rockers, and I respect and relate to that. We're a dying breed, like groupies only without the good ratting stories.

by Anonymousreply 125January 9, 2021 10:16 PM

I do love you, r125. Who the fuck knew we could argue about hair bands on DL?

by Anonymousreply 126January 9, 2021 10:20 PM

This thread is making me so nostalgic for the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 127January 9, 2021 10:40 PM

This thread is making me so nostalgic for the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 128January 9, 2021 10:40 PM

They’re the band with the one-armed drummer, right? He had his arm amputated after a car crash in 1984 and still plays drums with them.

by Anonymousreply 129January 9, 2021 11:24 PM

I didn’t know where to put this. I will leave it here. Good night, men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130January 11, 2021 10:12 PM

Would rather see all these Olds making some fresh free online content interacting with contemporary rock & metal, see what happens.

They need to have a seat and pass on their wisdom through stories, not trot out the same old tired act that imparts nothing of value. Enjoy being an Elder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131January 23, 2021 11:09 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 132February 17, 2021 6:59 AM

Thank God hair metal bands are a thing of the past. I have an inkling their songs were all meant in the good spirit of rock rebellion, but I hated it then and still do now. Back then female hate and degradation sold albums - as long as it was consumed as 'fun'. There was no 'woke' culture at the time. We also had Tracey Chapman and 'Fast Car' so maybe it balanced out. I dunno.

by Anonymousreply 133February 17, 2021 7:54 AM

You were “strapped down” OP? Were you a biter?

by Anonymousreply 134February 17, 2021 8:16 AM

I would say that the only rock bands I don't find disgusting are Pink Floyd and Queen. The rest are just full of uneducated white trash.

by Anonymousreply 135February 17, 2021 8:21 AM

R135 operatic references, bombast, ten-minute run-times and prog noodling does not necessarily make great music.

Except when it does.

by Anonymousreply 136February 17, 2021 9:14 AM

[quote]uneducated white trash

Now tell us about your high-culture interests.

by Anonymousreply 137February 17, 2021 1:07 PM

R135 Queen make tacky stadium rock that lacks all nuance, with inane lyrics and repetitive overlong structures and themes. Only the late Freddie’s powerhouse voice and showmanship elevated them out of their bracket—without him, they’re no better than a second-rate glammed arena/hair band.

by Anonymousreply 138February 17, 2021 1:23 PM

The only rock ballad I’ve liked:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139February 17, 2021 8:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!