Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Normal People actor Paul Mescal has been outed as a "homophobic bully" "the biggest bully in my year" in a series reddit posts.

"My Childhood Bully is now a Famous Actor

We always assume that our bullies will have terrible lives and end up working some minimum wage job but that's just not the reality. This guy was captain of the rugby team, his mam was a teacher and his Dad a Gard (that's what the police are called in Ireland) but you assume there's some sort of karma in the world that what goes around comes around.

Not for Mescal. He called me a faggot every day of my life when I came out. Him and his friends used to put smashed eggs in my locker and kick the shit out of me in the changing room during PE. I put most of my school trauma behind me but I googled best TV shows of 2020 to find something to watch during this quarantine time and "Normal People" comes up with Paul Mescal my original tormentor as John Green would say as the lead.

I've lost faith in karma or there being any justice in the world. I know I sound like a snowflake but this guy made my life hell and I developed serious anxiety issues and was afraid to tell people I was gay because of him."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108December 19, 2020 10:05 AM

Normal Assholes

"I can't escape the TV show "Normal People". Everyone's seen it or is recommending it to each other. The lead Paul Mescal was in the same year as me in secondary school. He bullied me for a couple of years although I didn't really bare the brunt of his hatred. I wasn't the main guy he bullied just a side guy as weird as that sounds haha. Anyway he was a nasty piece of work in school and it annoys me seeing interviews with him where he tries to talk like he was just some regular nice guy but he wasn't. He was the classic popular kid/bully. In sixth year he was the lead in our musical Phantom of the Opera but he didn't change even becoming a "theatre kid" as the Americans might say. Anyway I just wanted to get this off my chest because I'm sick of seeing people fawn over him like he's some kind of deep sensitive person, he was horrible in school."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1December 10, 2020 3:01 AM

An ex went to school with Austin Nichols and called him a "rich douchbag."

I asked if he was gay, and he replied "Not in high school."

Both these things disappointed me.

by Anonymousreply 2December 10, 2020 3:19 AM

I liked Mescal in Normal People, but not hard for me to believe he was a douchey bro in highschool.

by Anonymousreply 3December 10, 2020 3:20 AM

wht is Normal People ???

by Anonymousreply 4December 10, 2020 3:29 AM

R4, Google is free. However, I can tell you that Normal People is a great miniseries on Hulu with great acting, especially by Paul Mescal.

Ive read so much about Mescal and read so many interviews, and these stories don’t sound like the same guy at all. I really hope this stuff isn’t true. I wouldn’t exactly call Reddit a good source.

by Anonymousreply 5December 10, 2020 5:16 AM

[Quote] his Dad a Gard (that's what the police are called in Ireland)

Well of course.

by Anonymousreply 6December 10, 2020 5:22 AM

I couldn't care less about anything else about him after I've seen his intact dong.

NEXT!!!

by Anonymousreply 7December 10, 2020 6:26 AM

I was the school bully ... and I had a wonderful time!

by Anonymousreply 8December 10, 2020 7:03 AM

Some Irish people who went to Paul Mescal's school say that they never saw him being a bully or homophobic. Also the post writer got Mescal's parents professions mixed up

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9December 10, 2020 7:07 AM

"I was in his class. I wasn't friends with him or anything, he was definitely one of the popular lads and I mean come on like, he played Minor for Kildare, could sing/act and was fairly well-built and I.... wasn't. But that didn't stop him from being a gentleman. He's the type who could have used his social standing to be a dick but did the exact opposite of that and would always give you (by that I mean, me) the time of day and wouldn't mind having a conversation with someone way down the pecking order (which is a big thing as a teenager). This is utter garbage which is typical for twitter."

"I was in his year too .. totally agree. I would never say he would do those things and although I'm a girl and never saw the "locker room" antics I never heard anything bad about him. There was homophobia in our school for sure but never heard it coming from him."

"No, quite honestly his friends could be massive dickheads at times, including to me, but he never once used the social standing he had for sinister means even when he could have. I'd love if someone actually came forward on here because they'd be fkn lying and I'd call them out on it."

"I was in his school. He’s a lovely bloke, sickened to see all of this. None of it is remotely true and I don’t understand why anyone would post something like that."

"Agreed. I actually know the guy and he's not like that at all. Kept his head down in school. Was always sound and relatively quiet. Why do people think it's ok to try and hurt someone's career for Reddit karma?"

"He was a jock but he was sound af to me anyway. Heard he changed a bit after school when he fell in with the acting crowd at the Lír but that's to be expected. The Lír crowd are known to be a bunch of gobshites anyway."

by Anonymousreply 10December 10, 2020 7:13 AM

He has bitchface.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11December 10, 2020 7:27 AM

If the Reddit poster is telling the truth then it should be pretty easy to work out who he is. Is this person really willing to be publicly exposed?

by Anonymousreply 12December 10, 2020 7:43 AM

I don't believe much of what I've seen on reddit.

It's full of foul-mouthed guttersnipes.

by Anonymousreply 13December 10, 2020 8:20 AM

Reddit has its fair share of, as they are called around here, ESTs (Elaborate Scenario Trolls).

by Anonymousreply 14December 10, 2020 8:31 AM

Normal People was an incredibly boring series. I never finished it. Why do people think it was so wonderful?

by Anonymousreply 15December 10, 2020 8:39 AM

R15 the nakedness I guess. I found it kinda dull.

by Anonymousreply 16December 10, 2020 8:48 AM

I read this months ago, but not on Reddit. Have we not discussed his bullying before on DL? I found the series too dull to finish, and stopped thinking about it, or him. He's no Tim O'Tay.

by Anonymousreply 17December 10, 2020 8:55 AM

Anyone feeling the need to say, “I’m not a gay guy but so-and-so was never homophobic to me, therefore he can’t possibly have beeb homophobic to anyone else” needs their face viciously slapped.

Like some girl would have any idea whether homophobic bullying was going on or not. Stupid slut is probably just attention seeking off the back of going to school with a celeb.

by Anonymousreply 18December 10, 2020 9:21 AM

That's the thing R12. Anonymity brings out the crazies. I take these stories--especially on Reddit--with a grain of salt.

by Anonymousreply 19December 10, 2020 9:55 AM

The apologists sound like PR hacks.

by Anonymousreply 20December 10, 2020 10:02 AM

[quote]R14: Reddit has its fair share of, as they are called around here, ESTs (Elaborate Scenario Trolls).

Actually, EST stands for “Elaborate Setup Troll.” The x/10 (as in 3/10, for example) is used in EST threads and nowhere else. Grading is subjective, but usually is based on the number of posters who bought the lies hook, line, and sinker.

by Anonymousreply 21December 10, 2020 10:50 AM

R21 Really, I thought it was a creativity score!

by Anonymousreply 22December 10, 2020 3:29 PM

Closet case.

by Anonymousreply 23December 10, 2020 3:30 PM

This bullying story has been debunked

by Anonymousreply 24December 10, 2020 3:32 PM

"One anonymous person contradicted another anonymous person" isn't a debunking, R24.

by Anonymousreply 25December 10, 2020 3:37 PM

No, R21, it's "scenario," not "set-up." Sorry.

It's been "scenario" for at least 15 year but probably more than 20. If you go to Google you'll see even L-Chat, JUB and Broadway World using the phrase "Elaborate Scenario Troll" as far back as the mid 2000s. Seems Datalounge is contagious.

by Anonymousreply 26December 10, 2020 3:40 PM

Right, R18. The fundie bitch who harassed me in high school was sweet as pie to people she thought were good hetero Christians. You could probably split the high school 50-50, half thinking she was a psychopath, the other half saying "she was never a bully, she was a charming young lady."

by Anonymousreply 27December 10, 2020 3:41 PM

Why is there so much Reddit shit on the Datalounge these days?

Who is our Reddit troll?

by Anonymousreply 28December 10, 2020 10:13 PM

R27 Paul didn't go to a fundie high school so it's not like the christian factor is at play

by Anonymousreply 29December 11, 2020 4:57 AM

Not shocking. Even more not shocking is that the breeders refuse to talk about this.

by Anonymousreply 30December 11, 2020 5:09 AM

I don't even know who this nobody is, that said, many bullies don't even know they are one, because many had their behavior normalized.

When I was visiting my grandparents a couple of years ago, I ran into this bully who terrorized my cousin, he didn't even remember that and thought the cousin was a super cool guy in HS, he talked about my cousin as if they were best friend and as if he didn't do anything. In reality he terrorized him so much my cousin had to change schools.

by Anonymousreply 31December 11, 2020 6:01 AM

R31, Paul Mescal is not a nobody. You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2020 6:39 AM

Oh, please. Go get some therapy if you’re still going on about your childhood. Geez.

by Anonymousreply 33December 11, 2020 6:47 AM

I didn't say he went to a fundie high school or that there was some fundie factor in this scenario, I was just talking about my personal experience, r29. Surely you don't really think I said he went to a fundie high school? Ludicrous.

by Anonymousreply 34December 11, 2020 7:17 AM

I’m not mad at this pic, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 11, 2020 10:21 AM

Louis Floplinson of 1d was outed as a homophobic bully at school too.

by Anonymousreply 36December 11, 2020 10:43 AM

Normal People was preposterous. It got super silly after the first three or four episodes. Not worth watching beyond that.

Paul Mescal is like a retard with nice thighs.

by Anonymousreply 37December 11, 2020 11:56 AM

R36 Have a link? Would love to post it in some Larry groups.

by Anonymousreply 38December 11, 2020 12:13 PM

#metoo

If the poster come out in public and confront him, this could be a good way to focus on bullies.

What do you think?

by Anonymousreply 39December 11, 2020 12:57 PM

An assertion is evidence of nothing, R24. At least provide a link to said debunking.

by Anonymousreply 40December 11, 2020 3:01 PM

Nice weiner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41December 11, 2020 3:06 PM

R37 is a lonely fat fuck who’s jealous of Paul Mescal’s good looks and hot body — and that he starred in a great miniseries.

by Anonymousreply 42December 12, 2020 6:22 AM

I believe the bullied if they can identify him by dong alone.

by Anonymousreply 43December 12, 2020 6:31 AM

I forgive Paul Mescal for this because he showed his cock onscreen.

(Jon Hamm - I’m waiting to forgive you too.)

by Anonymousreply 44December 12, 2020 6:52 AM

Fug actor

by Anonymousreply 45December 12, 2020 7:51 AM

I was disappointed by his average hairy dick. And he's average looking

by Anonymousreply 46December 12, 2020 8:17 AM

R46 Dont blame him, blame the Irish

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47December 12, 2020 8:24 AM

Oh, no! I'm reading Normal People now, before diving into the show. My main motivation was the opportunity to lust over Paul for several episodes...

by Anonymousreply 48December 12, 2020 8:45 AM

Paul is only ten pints away from becoming a lard ass like fellow Mullingar man Niall Horan.

by Anonymousreply 49December 12, 2020 9:11 AM

He isn't especially gd looking

by Anonymousreply 50December 12, 2020 9:59 AM

Mescal is sexy as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 51December 14, 2020 7:44 AM

Decent bod... Butterface tho...

by Anonymousreply 52December 14, 2020 9:20 AM

Is Normal people really that good? because the novel is the most overrated shit that i read in years. Well, Rooney is overrated, the novel is simply bad

by Anonymousreply 53December 14, 2020 9:47 AM

Something to consider: Ireland seems to be pretty protective of their stars (they can bad mouth them, but other people can't); if person spoke out, even on an anonymous chat board, they must have genuinely felt very strongly that Mescal was a shitty guy since many of the other posters on Reddit appeared to be from that area & knew Mescal and therefore could possibly *out* this person. So as other commenters noted, it could be that for whatever reason Mescal did pick on this person, but mostly behaved himself. That's not really that uncommon in school that certain people are singled out for abuse while others go unscathed.

by Anonymousreply 54December 14, 2020 9:47 AM

By the way, you can be a complete asshole in high school and change after that. Sometimes it's just as easy as changing your friends. People change (sometimes for better or worst)

by Anonymousreply 55December 14, 2020 9:53 AM

He’s a sexy guy but at the same time he looks kind of...I dunno, unhealthy? Like he always has the mother of all hangovers. He is Irish I guess.

by Anonymousreply 56December 14, 2020 9:54 AM

R55 Being a bully or a bigot has to do with your surroundings; your parents, your siblings, the friends you associate with. By the time you're in high school, this mindset and behavior is pretty much set. You have to realize you are engaged in hateful behavior and make a conscious effort to rectify it. It doesn't change just be having a new set of friends, it's already ingrained.

by Anonymousreply 57December 14, 2020 10:48 AM

R57 I read that bullshit here again and again. What kind of fool doesn't change after teenage years? Yes, some people are jerks all their lives, but most people evolve (for better or worse). One must be very dumb to stay the same.

Those kind of behaviour are not ingrained unless you are a psycho, and most bullies are not psychos

by Anonymousreply 58December 14, 2020 8:24 PM

R58 = A bully

by Anonymousreply 59December 15, 2020 12:28 AM

He’s fat.

by Anonymousreply 60December 15, 2020 12:31 AM

And he walks funny....

by Anonymousreply 61December 15, 2020 1:17 AM

Is there one Paul Mescal hater making all these negative posts about him? Seems that way.

by Anonymousreply 62December 15, 2020 2:33 AM

I doubt it, r62. I probably made one such post here, but no others. I find his bully-ness utterly credible. But I didn't like the show, either, and gave it up after two episodes.

by Anonymousreply 63December 15, 2020 8:50 AM

Not gonna lie, I found him sexy and he looks good naked, but everything else on the show was downhill after that.

by Anonymousreply 64December 15, 2020 11:09 AM

I doubt it, [R62]. I probably made one such post here, but no others. I find his bully-ness utterly credible. But I didn't like the show, either, and gave it up after two episodes.

Me too; even given the Reddit comments in his favor, he was very much a big fish in a small pond, so that he was less than charitable to his peers that he considered below him doesn't seem terribly shocking

by Anonymousreply 65December 15, 2020 11:18 AM

He's a rough 24.

by Anonymousreply 66December 15, 2020 12:14 PM

I hope he's a shower.

by Anonymousreply 67December 15, 2020 12:18 PM

Too bad he gained prominence in the age of COVID. The thirst for Paul waned by summer's end, and most people have settled in at Camp Josh O'Connell for the winter.

by Anonymousreply 68December 15, 2020 12:29 PM

[quote]We always assume that our bullies will have terrible lives and end up working some minimum wage job

Huh? That's a weird way to open. I never assumed that. All my bullies were the popular jocks and good looking academic stars. I assumed most went into finance or law, typical alpha-male careers. It's also obvious that a fair amount of bullies go on to become cops.

by Anonymousreply 69December 15, 2020 1:41 PM

Guys please help me out. I recently saved a thread on a hot actor who looks like Ashton kutcher. In the Ops picture the actor is lying on a bed. Can't seem to find it on my watched threads

by Anonymousreply 70December 15, 2020 3:07 PM

Normal People is the poor man's Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 71December 15, 2020 5:39 PM

Normal People is the poor man's Ordinary People.

Buck would never bully anyone, not even Conrad who clearly deserved it

by Anonymousreply 72December 15, 2020 6:15 PM

Normal People <<< Like Normal People

by Anonymousreply 73December 15, 2020 7:17 PM

I heard he has a tiny dick.

by Anonymousreply 74December 15, 2020 7:28 PM

A year after I graduated, I confronted a bully and said if he was so tough, then he'd let me prove I was a "faggot" by sucking him off. He laughed but came around a few days later and that fucking absolutely did happen. Only once. And he did like it. Did I feel used? No. He had a good dick. Am I pathetic? Maybe but its been years and who gives a shit.

by Anonymousreply 75December 15, 2020 9:08 PM

R75, that never happened.

by Anonymousreply 76December 16, 2020 3:26 AM

Why would your bully need proof of you being a faggot when he'd been calling you one for years? Sounds fake.

by Anonymousreply 77December 16, 2020 9:50 AM

He has face of the retard.

by Anonymousreply 78December 16, 2020 10:05 AM

He has face of the retard.

The ultimate DL put down if you can't say someone is fat...

by Anonymousreply 79December 16, 2020 11:22 AM

Not to be that person from another thread, but Ireland must struggle a lot with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome?

by Anonymousreply 80December 16, 2020 11:26 AM

I like his nose, but depending on the angle he either looks like a Greek god...or Rocky Dennis in "Mask."

by Anonymousreply 81December 16, 2020 11:31 AM

R80 here and I googled my own answer and Christ, Ireland is third out of 187 countries in FAS, that is really deplorable with what we know about maternal health issues.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82December 16, 2020 12:00 PM

Cher slashed my mother's throat in a Walmart parking lot. I posted it online so it must be true.

by Anonymousreply 83December 16, 2020 12:47 PM

Uuuuggghhhh. This sucks. I thought he was one of the best things on TV last year and should have won the Emmy.

by Anonymousreply 84December 16, 2020 12:54 PM

[R80] here and I googled my own answer and Christ, Ireland is third out of 187 countries in FAS, that is really deplorable with what we know about maternal health issues.

Wow - I would've assumed that eastern european/former Soviet bloc countries would occupy the top 10....

by Anonymousreply 85December 16, 2020 1:49 PM

There might be a season 2?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86December 16, 2020 6:13 PM

[quote]We always assume that our bullies will have terrible lives and end up working some minimum wage job but that's just not the reality.

It's why I don't believe in God. I had several bullies, but two if them I know have incredible lives. One is a (straight) fashion designer who dates models and the other is a wealthy attorney.

by Anonymousreply 87December 16, 2020 6:25 PM

of* them

by Anonymousreply 88December 16, 2020 6:25 PM

It seems these accusations are unfounded or being deeply buried as a barrage of end of year stuff is coming out highlighting Paul.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89December 17, 2020 2:08 PM

He played the Phamtom

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90December 17, 2020 2:09 PM

Bond?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91December 17, 2020 2:19 PM

R86 Why not, the show was a success.

The novel has tons of fans who were outraged when that shitty novel didn't make the Booker shortlist. It has one of the most annoying female characters ever

by Anonymousreply 92December 17, 2020 2:22 PM

An Irish James Bond? Yeah right!!!!

by Anonymousreply 93December 17, 2020 2:43 PM

[quote]Some Irish people who went to Paul Mescal's school say that they never saw him being a bully or homophobic. Also the post writer got Mescal's parents professions mixed up

Also, the use of language by the person who made this accusation doesn't seem like that of someone who was born and grew up in Ireland. So who knows?

[quote]I don't believe in God. I had several bullies, but two if them I know have incredible lives. One is a (straight) fashion designer who dates models and the other is a wealthy attorney.

I don't believe in God either, but for what (little) it's worth, I think believers say that bad people and good people are supposed to be punished or rewarded in the next life, not during this one.

by Anonymousreply 94December 17, 2020 3:05 PM

R87 "One is a (straight) fashion designer" Yeah, that's not a thing

by Anonymousreply 95December 17, 2020 3:07 PM

He fug.

by Anonymousreply 96December 17, 2020 6:28 PM

Wasn't Paul Mescal papped out walking a POODLE?

by Anonymousreply 97December 17, 2020 6:32 PM

He needs an actual hairstyle

by Anonymousreply 98December 17, 2020 6:33 PM

He is FAT.

by Anonymousreply 99December 18, 2020 12:31 AM

[quote] Wasn't Paul Mescal papped out walking a POODLE?

The Poodle is the smartest breed.

by Anonymousreply 100December 18, 2020 12:34 AM

On what planet do people think he would make a good James Bond?!🤣

by Anonymousreply 101December 18, 2020 12:35 AM

Is this show and the book for young fraus who think their stupid dramas are interesting?

Of course they don't think they are fraus because they like indie music and art house films.

by Anonymousreply 102December 18, 2020 2:45 AM

R102 I don't know the tv show but the novel is awful. It starts pretty well but the female character is annoying as hell and the male barely has any personality.

Rooney has a tendency (i read Conversations with friends too) to introduce characters who obviously suffered a trauma but always avoid to explain which trauma caused the behaviour which in my oppinion is cheating big time

by Anonymousreply 103December 18, 2020 2:34 PM

Rooney's characters are all ridiculously exaggerated and lack nuance. Marianne's mother and brother are far too vicious for no reason at all. Paul's mother is super kind and indulgent and Marianne's Swedish boyfriend is another pantomime villain.

Marianne also has an eating disorder in the book which the TV drama series ignores. The main reason Paul won't tell his friends that they're dating is because she's fat. She's described in the book as having 'no jawline' and a body like 'handfuls of flour'. In the novel she loses weight for university by eating a yoghurt a day and nothing else, but in the Tv show she's very slight right from the start and remains that way. There's no real reason for Paul to ever be embarrassed by dating such a pretty girl.

by Anonymousreply 104December 19, 2020 1:03 AM

R104. They went for plain and awkward (in an intellect sort of way)in place of fat. Like fucking a good looking socially inept nerd. I thought it was effective enough. But fat mightve been more interesting. Who's to say. I think it worked although there were aspects that I don't care for. Anyone they each dated away from each other didn't seem believable and almost forced. They were also all unattractive compared to their counterparts and both seemed to always be pining for each other even in other relationships. They barely tried to hide it.

by Anonymousreply 105December 19, 2020 1:15 AM

In the book, Marianne's Swedish boyfriend was supposed to be blond and very good looking, like a cold god type, but the guy they cast to play him in the show looked like a tiny ugly crack addict. She would never have found him attractive.

by Anonymousreply 106December 19, 2020 1:25 AM

[quote] Louis Floplinson of 1d was outed as a homophobic bully at school too.

Makes perfect sense since he could easily be taken as gay himself.

by Anonymousreply 107December 19, 2020 4:10 AM

R104 The problem with her boyfriends is they are blamed of doing exactly what she wants them to do.

I read recently in a bood form people complaining about Eleonor Olyphant is perfectly fine resolution, they thought the trauma didn't explain completely her behaviour but at least Honeyman tried to explain the behaviour of her character. Conversations with friends was published the same year but Rooney never explained how her character behaves that way.

It's pretty obvious that something happened in Marianne's family, but she again took the easy route of not explain anything but that way the behaviour of the brother and the mother becomes cartoonish, they are there to be villains and make Marianne more likeable (in my case she failed big time)

by Anonymousreply 108December 19, 2020 10:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!