Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Did you ever eat in Windows On The World?

The restaurant at the top of the World Trade Center? What did you order?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2020 2:35 PM

Cherries Jubilee

by Anonymousreply 1December 1, 2020 3:19 AM

SQUASH

by Anonymousreply 2December 1, 2020 3:21 AM

That's a rather personal question to ask, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3December 1, 2020 3:22 AM

I loved their kamikaze shots.

by Anonymousreply 4December 1, 2020 3:27 AM

Champagne cocktails with my mom.

by Anonymousreply 5December 1, 2020 3:31 AM

I had Let’s Roll Cinnamon Rolls in the rubble.

by Anonymousreply 6December 1, 2020 3:33 AM

OP, will the answers be data points entered in four different fields: appetizer, entree, dessert, drink?

Does your group use a cloud platform or just the basic Excel spreadsheet format with pivot tables?

by Anonymousreply 7December 1, 2020 3:34 AM

I went there with my first boyfriend. I remember it, as I do him, fondly.

by Anonymousreply 8December 1, 2020 3:34 AM

Only for drinks. And to take the Kevin Zraly Windows on the World wine course.

by Anonymousreply 9December 1, 2020 3:40 AM

Of course.

Washed down with flying monkey cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 10December 1, 2020 3:43 AM

What kind of crowd went here? Tourists or the business crowd?

by Anonymousreply 11December 1, 2020 3:43 AM

A plane. To go.

by Anonymousreply 12December 1, 2020 3:56 AM

Went a couple of times for brunch and it was buffet. The crowd seemed to be New Yorkers as well as some tourists. I also went for drinks and it was business and tourists. The elevator ride was scary in a good way; it was so rapid.

by Anonymousreply 13December 1, 2020 4:00 AM

I ate there once in 2001. I remember having salmon as my main course and a pineapple cake for dessert. Service was excellent.

by Anonymousreply 14December 1, 2020 4:05 AM

I remember an evening drinking kamikazees with a boyfriend and the breathtaking skyline view. It was so odd to look out those enormous windows and see helicopters in flight from above. Not clear on what we had for dinner all these years later, but I do recall the elevator ride took an astonishingly long time.

by Anonymousreply 15December 1, 2020 4:30 AM

^ I should add that my visit there was circa spring 1983. ^

by Anonymousreply 16December 1, 2020 4:33 AM

Once.

Had to tip the Maitre to move us to a Window on the World

by Anonymousreply 17December 1, 2020 4:41 AM

You went there for the view not the food which was indifferent.

by Anonymousreply 18December 1, 2020 4:50 AM

You went there for the view not the food which was indifferent.

by Anonymousreply 19December 1, 2020 4:50 AM

Many times, for Sunday brunch and on Thursday nights, when they had salsa dancing.

by Anonymousreply 20December 1, 2020 4:51 AM

I had the Airline Chicken. It was to die for.

by Anonymousreply 21December 1, 2020 4:56 AM

PRESSED duck with a side of MASHED potatoes with CRUSHED garlic. And we got FALLING DOWN drunk.

by Anonymousreply 22December 1, 2020 4:59 AM

Is R22 BILL TAYLOR?

by Anonymousreply 23December 1, 2020 5:03 AM

"The crowd seemed to be New Yorkers as well as some tourists"

How do you tell the difference?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24December 1, 2020 5:06 AM

Tableside deboning of the Dover Sole, mimosas and the Banana Foster!

by Anonymousreply 25December 1, 2020 5:55 AM

It was the '70s, so I don't really remember, but probably salmon. Oysters. Lobster. Also, lots of wine (not a frau...I had to write about it) and hors d'oeuvres.

by Anonymousreply 26December 1, 2020 5:58 AM

Easter brunch. Was there with a group of friends and the sister of one of them. She asked if the muffins had real blueberries. When told that they were, she stated that she didn't like real blueberries, just the fake ones.

by Anonymousreply 27December 1, 2020 6:03 AM

Yup I did.

by Anonymousreply 28December 1, 2020 6:38 AM

My brother came to town with a high school friend who as an adult became a restauranteur. He could write off expensive dinners and wanted to eat at Windows On the World. I was a poverty-stricken student at the time, so my eyes bugged out at the prices on the menu, but I ordered something relatively inexpensive (like a $45 entree). There were 4 of us (this was about 1982). They ordered drinks and a bottle of wine. The service was very high-end - lots of busboys milling about keeping water glasses full, a sommellier, the main waiter. The bill was about $800 or so. Our friend would have tipped generously because he was in the business, but when he was going over the bill he noticed that the waiter had added on an additional $75 bottle of wine or two onto our tab. When he gestured to an underling to note the discrepancy, the head waiter never made another appearance at our table. The corrected check appeared....eventually. The generous tip was withheld, and a normal gratuity was left. I'm sure we were not the only diners there who were scammed on their tabs. I suspect it was a common practice - out-of-towners there to impress, not checking things too closely.

by Anonymousreply 29December 1, 2020 8:08 AM

Imagine eating breakfast there that morning. I wonder if any of them got out before...?

by Anonymousreply 30December 1, 2020 6:57 PM

Isn't this the joint that the chicks from IT'S A LIVING waitressed?

by Anonymousreply 31December 1, 2020 7:14 PM

[quote]I went there with my first boyfriend. I remember it, as I do him, fondly.

Yes, the sky was so blue that day...

by Anonymousreply 32December 1, 2020 7:18 PM

r31 No--that was at the top of the Bonaventure in LA.

by Anonymousreply 33December 1, 2020 7:25 PM

How much did Microsoft pay for the naming rights?

by Anonymousreply 34December 1, 2020 7:25 PM

I partook of their luncheon buffet.

I especially liked the beets.

by Anonymousreply 35December 1, 2020 7:27 PM

I blew one of the waiter's in a utility closet one time. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 36December 1, 2020 7:29 PM

I ate there several times in the late 1990s-early 2001 when my ex-partner worked in the wine department. He quit around 8 months before 9/11 and lost several of his former colleagues in the attack. Went to the WOtW 9/11 memorial service at St John the Divine, which was heartbreaking.

Chef Michael LoMonaco made very good American grill and seafood, though the place was never daring with its cuisine. It was more about the experience of being so high and the views if the weather was clear. The express elevators would make your ears pop going up. The windows were not wide though because of the repeating metal railing edifice. The wine list was probably better respected than the food menu. They had acquired some amazing bottles over the years under Kevin Zraly and Andrea Immer. I found the service too formal for the place. I think it and the World Trade Center as a whole have become more iconic because of 9/11 than they were in their heyday.

by Anonymousreply 37December 1, 2020 8:10 PM

I ate there.

And then I died

by Anonymousreply 38December 1, 2020 8:57 PM

I knew 3 who died there.

by Anonymousreply 39December 1, 2020 11:01 PM

No, never ate at that upstart place. The Rainbow Room had much more interesting views.

by Anonymousreply 40December 1, 2020 11:27 PM

R36 could you make a meal of it or was it just an amuse-bouche?

by Anonymousreply 41December 1, 2020 11:38 PM

Same same, except for the views . The rainbow room owned windows.

by Anonymousreply 42December 2, 2020 2:28 AM

[quote] Imagine eating breakfast there that morning. I wonder if any of them got out before...?

A college friend of mine (and Fire Island Pines regular) was actually having breakfast with a client there that morning. He didn’t even work there. Never made it out. Nobody did, after the first plane hit. They just waited for help that never arrived before the tower collapsed. He is one of eight from my college who lost their lives there that day.

by Anonymousreply 43December 2, 2020 3:36 AM

I ate ass at the World Trade Center and Vista rest rooms.

by Anonymousreply 44December 3, 2020 9:10 AM

Sorry to hear that R43. If I may ask what college?

by Anonymousreply 45December 3, 2020 9:32 AM

Yes, a couple of times. It was a popular place for Wall St. lunch breakfast and lunch meetings. The food was unremarkable as I remember, but the views were fantastic, especially on sunny days. I'd pick a seat near a window and gaze dreamily out at the world instead of paying attention to my dull as dishwater business meeting. Some of the waiters were hot.

by Anonymousreply 46December 3, 2020 10:33 AM

It should never have become a drive-thru restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 47December 3, 2020 11:09 AM

I don’t eat airline food.

by Anonymousreply 48December 3, 2020 11:42 AM

Brunch once, detestable food. Quite like that of the Space needle in Seattle.

by Anonymousreply 49December 3, 2020 12:32 PM

Near the end the food was horribly overcooked, charred actually.

by Anonymousreply 50December 3, 2020 2:35 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!